Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Supreme Sacrifice. The Article 50 case moves to the next level

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited November 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Supreme Sacrifice. The Article 50 case moves to the next level

The government got given a gut punch by the High Court in the Article 50 case.  Its proxies in the press had a meltdown and the government shamefully declined to distance itself from the barrage launched at the judges.  (Shamefully and stupidly, as we shall see shortly.)  But now the caravan moves on to the Supreme Court where both sides get another bite at the cherry.  Will they get a different result?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ThreeQuidder Posts: 3,421
    10:24PM
    scotslass said:
    Hertsmere_Pubgoer

Are you really so ignorant about the SNP.

They are the most open and rational of all about their strategy. They would not vote for a second referendum. They virtually alone in the Commons opposed the first one!

They will not vote for article 50. Why should they? Every single one of their constituencies voted remain as did the country they represent decisively.

Their First Minister has laid out their terms clearly - single market for Scotland, equal treatment for Europeans in Scotland and no removal of rights of workers and citizens currently guaranteed by European laws.

"That was a party political broadcast on behalf of the Scottish National Party."

No it is just stating what their position is. You can be confident that they will not take instruction from Tim Farron.

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Everyone knows why the government doesn't want Article 50 to go through parliament, because there is no majority for Brexit within parliament.

It would require a new General Election with plenty of deselections of Tory MP's who refuse to support Brexit, a very messy affair with lots of potencial for UKIP to exploit it.

I can see the case why Pro-EU people support blocking Brexit through Parliament against the wishes of the voters, but that will end up with an even larger share of Anti-EU MP's in a new election who in the end will pass Brexit anyway.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    My warning in short:

If OGH, TSE and other Remainers don't like dealing with Theresa May, how would they like dealing with Nigel Farage ?

There is always worse you know.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    scotslass said:

scotslass said:
    Hertsmere_Pubgoer

They are the most open and rational of all about their strategy. They would not vote for a second referendum. They virtually alone in the Commons opposed the first one!

They will not vote for article 50. Why should they? Every single one of their constituencies voted remain as did the country they represent decisively.

Their First Minister has laid out their terms clearly - single market for Scotland, equal treatment for Europeans in Scotland and no removal of rights of workers and citizens currently guaranteed by European laws.

"That was a party political broadcast on behalf of the Scottish National Party."

No it is just stating what their position is. You can be confident that they will not take instruction from Tim Farron.

All for naught - as with most SNP positions....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    Speedy said:

If OGH, TSE and other Remainers don't like dealing with Theresa May, how would they like dealing with Nigel Farage ?

Nigel Farage runs away from responsibility. He'd have a glass chin, politically, if he ever attained office.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Farage just breaks things, fucks off and leaves others to do the hard work clearing up the mess.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269
    edited November 2016
    SeanT said:

BOLLOCKS

The plaintiffs admit they want to stiff Brexit. That's all we need to know.

NEXT.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/10/18/the-nearest-run-thing/
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Everyone knows why the government doesn't want Article 50 to go through parliament, because there is no majority for Brexit within parliament.

It would require a new General Election with plenty of deselections of Tory MP's who refuse to support Brexit, a very messy affair with lots of potencial for UKIP to exploit it.

I can see the case why Pro-EU people support blocking Brexit through Parliament against the wishes of the voters, but that will end up with an even larger share of Anti-EU MP's in a new election who in the end will pass Brexit anyway.

I' don't agree. In the first place the High Court ruling will clarify the legal position either way and should provide the way forward in the HOC if they lose.

Furthermore there is an absolute majority in the HOC for A50 no matter how Farron tries to frustrate the process.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
  • Options
    "the judges will have had impressed on them again the importance of the checks and balances in the system."

An robustly independent and free press is part of that system of checks and balances.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Speedy said:

Tosh.

The government should have put a one paragraph bill through parliament immediately after the referendum. Every day the government delays increases the chance that MPs can walk away from the decision.

It is imperative to bind MPs to the will of the people. This is why circumventing parliament was a strategic error, and one that dramatically increase the risk that Brexit will end up not happening.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Nigel Farage runs away from responsibility. He'd have a glass chin, politically, if he ever attained office.
    How can you be a REMAINER when Trump is pro-Brexit?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

This is why circumventing parliament was a strategic error, and one that dramatically increase the risk that Brexit will end up not happening.

Wouldn't that make it a strategic success? :)
  • Options
    scotslass said:

scotslass said:
    Hertsmere_Pubgoer

The referendum question asked was "Should the UK remain in the EU or leave?". It wasn't "Should Scotland remain in the EU or leave?"
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    To answer the question, because it is stupid with idiotic and disgrace non-entities like Fox and Johnson sitting around the cabinet table.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Speedy said:

I' don't agree. In the first place the High Court ruling will clarify the legal position either way and should provide the way forward in the HOC if they lose.

Furthermore there is an absolute majority in the HOC for A50 no matter how Farron tries to frustrate the process.
    The Farron "threat" is also fundamentally pointless. The Uk rejecting a Brexit deal with the EU doesn't result in us staying, it results in us leaving on "WTO" terms.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

Tosh.

The government should have put a one paragraph bill through parliament immediately after the referendum. Every day the government delays increases the chance that MPs can walk away from the decision.

It is imperative to bind MPs to the will of the people. This is why circumventing parliament was a strategic error, and one that dramatically increase the risk that Brexit will end up not happening.
    I was at a LD party meeting this week where this was discussed. The objective is to establish the rule of the Commons over the executive, but also to establish a soft Brexit as the recommendation of the house.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830
    The judiciary are not our Gods. The government has no obligation to chastise the Press on their behalf.

Some sections of the legal profession have a ludicrously exaggerated opinion of their own righteousness.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

BOLLOCKS

The plaintiffs admit they want to stiff Brexit. That's all we need to know.

NEXT.

So what?

A parliamentary vote sniffs out traitors. Once article 50 is invoked we're leaving. Anything else is bullshit.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Speedy said:

Yes, it is right & proper that the highest court in the land should form the judgment on this.

It's also right & proper that every legal objection be thoroughly put to the test, so that when A50 is eventually served, we know it is being done legally.

I'm even in favour of all the lies purveyed by each side of the referendum campaign being brought to court for exposure.

What the outcome will be, who can guess; but the UK's involvement with the EU has been based on lies ever since we joined. Maybe if all the lies were exposed & cleared out of the way, we could make a properly reasoned decision on the matter.

Myself, I'm inclined to think the only way to do that is to leave, wait until the EU arrives at its destination of USE, and then see if that's a comfortable fit with the UK or rUK.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

The Farron "threat" is also fundamentally pointless. The Uk rejecting a Brexit deal with the EU doesn't result in us staying, it results in us leaving on "WTO" terms.
    If the government, in its quest to avoid parliament, does end up proving that Article 50 is revocable then that wouldn't necessarily be the case. It could be a choice between the deal and remaining.
  • Options
    0drat0drat Posts: 1
    Reasons why Govt doesn't want A50 terms / plans for Brexit discussed.. because it will expose all the lies and deceits of Leave.. it will show the total lack of strategic planning and it will become explicitly clear what the damage will be to the UK. It will give voice to the SNP in Westminster who will insist that Scotland gets a different "treatment" / relationship with the EU. This stresses the UK's lack of (Written) constitution. As SNP will test the UK union so other regions and cities especially will press for different treatment too... and this will then build into wider devolution... London and some of the other big English cities will be very keen to press for their own means of governance and powers.. this is inherently not something the Tories are comfortable with.. and probably most importantly is that debate in the Commons & Lords will expose the fractures in the Conservatives.. perhaps fatally given this is the primary reason Cameron promised the EURef in the first place.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Amendments.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Interesting article in the DT "More than 80 MPs join Lib Dem plot to force Government to hold a second referendum on Brexit terms"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/11/more-than-80-mps-join-lib-dem-plot-to-force-government-to-hold-a/

I voted Remain but I am not sure another referendum will do much good. What if the voters reject it again it could be even worse. As we have seen with Trump the voters around the world are in no mood to accept more of the same. Indeed, I was surprised by the new PM's stance on Brexit but given a similar set of economic and social circumstances have propelled Trump into the POTUS on reflection I think Brexit is going to have to happen whether we like it or the consequences.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

He is a lost cause - also I should have said Supreme Court not the High Court.

I cannot even start to imagine the print media's lust for vengeance on any MP who tries to vote down A50.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

Tosh.

I was at a LD party meeting this week where this was discussed. The objective is to establish the rule of the Commons over the executive, but also to establish a soft Brexit as the recommendation of the house.
    That is a valid, if naive, view. Ultimately, there is a clock ticking. And when that clock runs out, we go to WTO. nothing the commons does can change that.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Interesting:

"Clinton actually overperformed FiveThirtyEight’s adjusted polling average in 11 states and the District of Columbia. The problem is that these states were California, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island and Washington. Since all of these states except for Nevada and perhaps New Mexico were already solidly blue, that only helped Clinton to run up the popular vote margin in states whose electoral votes she was already assured of. That’s especially true of Calfornia, where Clinton both beat her polls by more than 5 percentage points and substantially improved on Barack Obama’s performance from 2012."

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-fivethirtyeight-gave-trump-a-better-chance-than-almost-anyone-else/
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Amendments.

Once Article 50 had been invoked, what possible impact cloths amendments have?
  • Options
    MPs are elected by the people. The people voted for Brexit.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

Tosh.

I was at a LD party meeting this week where this was discussed. The objective is to establish the rule of the Commons over the executive, but also to establish soft Brexit as the recommendation of the house.
    The Lib Dem definition of soft Brexit is Remain in all but name. They would even define EFTA+EEA as being hard Brexit due to the looser relationship with the EU.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

Tosh.

That is a valid, if naive, view. Ultimately, there is a clock ticking. And when that clock runs out, we go to WTO. nothing the commons does can change that.
    The cat is out of the bag. The idea that it's irrevocable will get tested in the courts at some point.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-37852628
  • Options
    "Given that it currently seems to have a substantial majority in both Houses in its favour on this point, the unanswered question is why? Answers on a postcard.", asks Alastair

That's very easy to answer. Here's the postcard:

Negotiating this Brexit malarkey with 27 other countries is hard enough as it is, but now a bunch of grandstanders want to put their oars in! It wouldn't matter so much if they agreed amongst themselves, but since they don't it'll be a bloody mess if they get their way, with dozens of mutually exclusive amendments! Still, mustn't grumble, the weather's lovely. Wish you were here. Love, Theresa
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

I cannot even start to imagine the print media's lust for vengeance on any MP who tries to vote down A50.
    Scottish MPs can probably get away with it, but 90%+ of MPs, irrespective of their personal views, will back an Article 50 enabling bill.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    0drat said:

Reasons why Govt doesn't want A50 terms / plans for Brexit discussed.. because it will expose all the lies and deceits of Leave.. it will show the total lack of strategic planning and it will become explicitly clear what the damage will be to the UK. It will give voice to the SNP in Westminster who will insist that Scotland gets a different "treatment" / relationship with the EU. This stresses the UK's lack of (Written) constitution. As SNP will test the UK union so other regions and cities especially will press for different treatment too... and this will then build into wider devolution... London and some of the other big English cities will be very keen to press for their own means of governance and powers.. this is inherently not something the Tories are comfortable with.. and probably most importantly is that debate in the Commons & Lords will expose the fractures in the Conservatives.. perhaps fatally given this is the primary reason Cameron promised the EURef in the first place.

Welcome. Feel better for that?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    AndyJS said:

Interesting:

"Clinton actually overperformed FiveThirtyEight’s adjusted polling average in 11 states and the District of Columbia. The problem is that these states were California, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island and Washington. Since all of these states except for Nevada and perhaps New Mexico were already solidly blue, that only helped Clinton to run up the popular vote margin in states whose electoral votes she was already assured of. That’s especially true of Calfornia, where Clinton both beat her polls by more than 5 percentage points and substantially improved on Barack Obama’s performance from 2012."

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-fivethirtyeight-gave-trump-a-better-chance-than-almost-anyone-else/

Putting on votes where it doesn't matter and losing votes in the swing seats/states is a problem most losing parties and candidates have.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

Scottish MPs can probably get away with it, but 90%+ of MPs, irrespective of their personal views, will back an Article 50 enabling bill.
    An enabling bill can be used to put the government on the spot rather than the MPs. What if an amendment is tabled to commit the government to remaining in the single market (by not abrogating the EEA treaty)?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

If the government, in its quest to avoid parliament, does end up proving that Article 50 is revocable then that wouldn't necessarily be the case. It could be a choice between the deal and remaining.
    Maybe the Donald will offer us a third choice of being the 51st state? Or 51/2/3/4? Hey we'd guarantee a Democrat hegemony.
  • Options
    It seems Populism in america is about to become even more raging and fierce:

https://twitter.com/griph/status/796539192721506304
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Speedy said:

That basically shows why Trump can't bring back manufacturing jobs.
  • Options
    0drat said:

Welcome - I suppose it is a view but the one thing the last 48 hours has told us is that Brexit announced the anti globalisation movement, re-affirmed by Donald Trump, and will spread like wildfire through the panicking EU.

The pound has been the best performing currency this week and is not far from the Euro exchange rate I achieved in the summer when I went to Italy.

All good for the UK
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The judiciary are not our Gods. The government has no obligation to chastise the Press on their behalf.

Some sections of the legal profession have a ludicrously exaggerated opinion of their own righteousness.

I completely disagree TOTAL NONSENSE. All of the legal profession have a ludicrously exaggerated opinion of their own righteousness.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2016
    A better question than the one Alastair asks is: why did the government proceed with a case which, whatever its actual merits, seems to have been likely all along to have been unsuccessful? At least that assessment of the likelihood seems to be the consensus amongst the legal eagles. If it is true that the government was always clearly at high risk of losing the case, then proceeding with it was a major tactical blunder by Theresa May; she could have got an Article 50 enablement bill through easily if she'd done it quickly; by delaying she has allowed the wreckers to regroup and she'll have much more trouble if and when it does eventually come before the two houses. It could become a serious problem - and one which can only make any eventual settlement with the EU even worse than it would otherwise have been; you can't negotiate by parliamentary resolution.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

Tosh.

I do not support the view. Tbe objective though is to push the government up the path of soft Brexit, defined as membership of the Single Market.

• Options
    MP_SE said:

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

Tosh.

I was at a LD party meeting this week where this was discussed. The objective is to establish the rule of the Commons over the executive, but also to establish soft Brexit as the recommendation of the house.
    The Lib Dem definition of soft Brexit is Remain in all but name. They would even define EFTA+EEA as being hard Brexit due to the looser relationship with the EU.
    Hear hear.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

My warning in short:

Ukip haven't gone away you know.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

Interesting:

Putting on votes where it doesn't matter and losing votes in the swing seats/states is a problem most losing parties and candidates have.
    Yes but it's usually not quite as extreme as what has happened this time with Clinton, where she could win the popular vote by millions.
  • Options
    Alastair Meeks finishes with a very pertinent question : just why are the Government so desperate to avoid discussing Article 50 in Parliament when only The Libdems & SNP are opposing ?
    There are 2 possible answers in my view :
    firstly that they believe that only the hardest of Hard Brexits is actually possible & they dont think that would get through Parliament. Perhaps they think that The Economic damage will be forgotten by 2020 ? Perhaps they just arent thinking that far ahead ?
    secondly, the plan is actually Soft Brexit, ie the same as now only with no control. If they were to admit that their own Backbenches would revolt, egged on by The Press.
    I dont find either explanation fully satisfying since both simply delay the explosions by a few months.
    Perhaps there is no answer & The Government are just running with no idea of a destination.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263

A better question than the one Alastair asks is: why did the government proceed with a case which, whatever its actual merits, seems to have been likely all along to have been unsuccessful? At least that assessment of the likelihood seems to be the consensus amongst the legal eagles. If it is true that the government was always clearly at high risk of losing the case, then proceeding with it was a major tactical blunder by Theresa May; she could have got an Article 50 enablement bill through easily if she'd done it quickly; by delaying she has allowed the wreckers to regroup and she'll have much more trouble if and when it does eventually come before the two houses. It could become a serious problem - and one which can only make any eventual settlement with the EU even worse than it would otherwise have been; you can't negotiate by parliamentary resolution.

Which shows how paranoid of a debate they must be, whilst they themselves try and work out what on earth to do.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    nunu said:

Speedy said:

twitter.com/griph/status/796539192721506304

I'm not seeing it?
  • Options

The government clearly didn't believe "all along to be unsuccessful "

Life is not a conspiracy theory.
  • Options

A better question than the one Alastair asks is: why did the government proceed with a case which, whatever its actual merits, seems to have been likely all along to have been unsuccessful? At least that assessment of the likelihood seems to be be the consensus amongst the legal eagles. If it is true that the government was clearly at high risk of losing the case, then proceeding with it was a major tactical blunder by Theresa May; she could have got an Article 50 enablement bill through easily if she'd done it quickly; by delaying she has allowed the wreckers to regroup and she'll have much more trouble if and when it does eventually come before the two houses. It could become a serious problem - and one which can only make any eventual settlement with the EU even worse than it would otherwise have been; you can't negotiate by parliamentary resolution.

It may well have been a mistake, in that A50 would have gone through unchallenged initially. But we are so divided over Brexit that, in my view, it's best to allow the fight to happen now.

As for the negotiations being compromised, well, we all have to take a chance of that. To those who wish to stay in the EU, it may look better to risk the worst Brexit possible rather than give up & just let Brexit happen.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2016
    IanB2 said:

Which shows how paranoid of a debate they must be, whilst they themselves try and work out what on earth to do.

No, it shows that they understand what many commentators in the UK don't seem to be able get into their heads, namely that the nature of our exit from the EU Brexit is not a decision for the UK government. Much of the discussion seems to completely ignore this elementary reality, suggesting that the UK can 'choose' an EEA or a Swiss or a Canadian-style option. Very few people seem to consider the question of whether any of these might be on offer, and if so at what price and with what snafus attached to them.

Amendments and resolutions in parliament won't change this, but they could close off some possible negotiated and advantageous outcomes.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Speedy said:

My warning in short:

Ukip haven't gone away you know.
    Some people find it very hard to think that received wisdom can be challenged.
  • Options
    RobD said:

nunu said:

Speedy said:

I'm not seeing it?
    Automation
  • Options
    NoEasyDay said:

No, it's not a conspiracy, I agree. But it might be incompetence, which is particularly worrying for a government whose USP is supposed to be competence.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

Agreed. Fuck the lawyers. Who do they think they are?

The idea Baron "European Law Institute" Thomas was some saintly neutral observer on Brexit was just ludicrous.

People like him - and Meeks - should be ritually flailed with hideously bent cucumbers, then sealed in a Burton beer barrel and sent rolling down the Thames, in the "general direction" of Europe, which they seem to love so much.
    We don't live in a world any longer in which people get nailed to the pillory for criticising judges. These arguments seem absurdly old fashioned.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Sean_F said:

Some people find it very hard to think that received wisdom can be challenged.

The Americans have raised the bar, but are we going to settle for second place? Hell no. Never mind Brexit plus plus plus, we'll go for Brexit squared if we're double crossed by the establishment.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

A better question than the one Alastair asks is: why did the government proceed with a case which, whatever its actual merits, seems to have been likely all along to have been unsuccessful? At least that assessment of the likelihood seems to be be the consensus amongst the legal eagles. If it is true that the government was clearly at high risk of losing the case, then proceeding with it was a major tactical blunder by Theresa May; she could have got an Article 50 enablement bill through easily if she'd done it quickly; by delaying she has allowed the wreckers to regroup and she'll have much more trouble if and when it does eventually come before the two houses. It could become a serious problem - and one which can only make any eventual settlement with the EU even worse than it would otherwise have been; you can't negotiate by parliamentary resolution.

It may well have been a mistake, in that A50 would have gone through unchallenged initially. But we are so divided over Brexit that, in my view, it's best to allow the fight to happen now.

As for the negotiations being compromised, well, we all have to take a chance of that. To those who wish to stay in the EU, it may look better to risk the worst Brexit possible rather than give up & just let Brexit happen.
    But we had a referendum and we voted to leave the EU which means Brexit has to happen?
  • Options
    nunu said:

RobD said:

nunu said:

Speedy said:

I'm not seeing it?
    Automation
    Oh, for trucks? Yeah, but that isn't viable in 8 years, so Trump has nothing to worry about!
  • Options

IanB2 said:

No, it shows that they understand what many commentators in the UK don't seem to be able get into their heads, namely that the nature of our exit from the EU Brexit is not a decision for the UK government. Much of the discussion seems to completely ignore this elementary reality, suggesting that the UK can 'choose' an EEA or a Swiss or a Canadian-style option. Very few people seem to consider the question of whether any of these might be on offer, and if so at what price and with what snafus attached to them.

Amendments and resolutions in parliament won't change this, but they could close off some possible negotiated and advantageous outcomes.
    Yes, I am failing to see why Parliament binding the negotiating team is a good thing?
  • Options
    nunu said:

RobD said:

nunu said:

Speedy said:

I'm not seeing it?
    Automation
    It is very telling. All that small town America has lost its shops to the internet, and soon the deliveries will be by automated vehicle. In those small towns they are as keen on Amazon and Spotify as the rest of us, sitting down to order more Chinese made tat even as we write.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Looks like Trump's first foreign policy decision might be, cruelly and sadly, the right decision, and better than anything Obama did in 8 years of feeble liberal dithering

Hear, hear. Also note the 'beautiful' letter from Putin. We might finally get the real end of the Cold War.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

No, if the case was and is always a long shot. The cost of fighting but losing is a dose of humiliation, but what they win is a bit of time. The debate happens in the end, either way. Indeed it probably happens, one way or another, even if the government wins the appeal.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

AnneJGP said:

But we had a referendum and we voted to leave the EU which means Brexit has to happen?
    Yes, if it can happen legally.

If it can't happen legally - e.g. if MPs must vote A50 through and they refuse to do so - the government will have to tackle that situation through whatever means seems best to them.

If it comes to a GE with the Conservatives offering a manifesto commitment to A50/Brexit and (perhaps) Labour offering Remain, it will offer a very interesting insight into the way Leave/Remain has cut across the left/right divide of politics.

We could see people who would otherwise never vote for Mr Corbyn electing him PM if they believed he would keep the UK in the EU.
  • Options

NoEasyDay said:

No, it's not a conspiracy, I agree. But it might be incompetence, which is particularly worrying for a government whose USP is supposed to be competence.
    It doesn't have to be incompetence either. There are many reasons to have thought the governments argument would prevail.

Just maybe a mistake, human error.

Although my personal opinion is it was impossible against a judiciary that sucks off the nipple of th EU.

For anyone out there wanting to sue me note the words "my personal opinion"
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

No, if the case was and is always a long shot. The cost of fighting but losing is a dose of humiliation, but what they win is a bit of time. The debate happens in the end, either way. Indeed it probably happens, one way or another, even if the government wins the appeal.

There's all the difference in the world between a debate, where parliament gets to scrutinise the government's approach and different MPs get to press their various points, but the negotiations are left to the negotiating team, and a potential legal roadblock to the triggering of Article 50. The latter can only make things worse - the negotiations are going to be hard enough as it is.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    AnneJGP said:

GIN1138 said:

AnneJGP said:

Yes, if it can happen legally.

If it can't happen legally - e.g. if MPs must vote A50 through and they refuse to do so - the government will have to tackle that situation through whatever means seems best to them.

If it comes to a GE with the Conservatives offering a manifesto commitment to A50/Brexit and (perhaps) Labour offering Remain, it will offer a very interesting insight into the way Leave/Remain has cut across the left/right divide of politics.

We could see people who would otherwise never vote for Mr Corbyn electing him PM if they believed he would keep the UK in the EU.
    If it can't happen legally what was the point of offering the referendum?

As for Labour winning the the next election on a REMAIN argument, LEAVE won the referendum by a landslide when you look at the result constituency by constituency.

What's much more likely to happen is that those the public perceive to be thwarting the will of the British people to leave the EU (Labour and Lib-Dems) will be punished.

You may well finish up with UKIP winning 40 seats and holding the balance of power in a hung parliament thus paving the way for a Con-UKIP government and the hardest of Brexit's possible.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

There's all the difference in the world between a debate, where parliament gets to scrutinise the government's approach and different MPs get to press their various points, but the negotiations are left to the negotiating team, and a potential legal roadblock to the triggering of Article 50. The latter can only make things worse - the negotiations are going to be hard enough as it is.
    Fine, but if HMG loses, as is now expected, then the debate happens. The question is why they are pursuing an apparently poor case, not why they find parliamentary scrutiny inconvenient; the latter is obvious and not new.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    SeanT said:

Looks like Trump's first foreign policy decision might be, cruelly and sadly, the right decision, and better than anything Obama did in 8 years of feeble liberal dithering

https://twitter.com/patrickwintour/status/797215240442281984

Be prepared for righteous condemnation for being realistic. I got it the last few times when I suggested that Obama and Dave get Assad round the table and help him defeat ISIS and broker a ceasefire with the remaining rebels but essentially leave him in power to exterminate them quietly. Shitty, but I think we have to deal with reality, rather than what we want to be true.
  • Options
    If every state had voted the same as last Tuesday, Clinton would have lost every presidential election from 1868 onwards. The worst she would have done would have been the 1912-1928 elections when the split would have been 204/327 and the best recent one would have been 1992-2000 when it would have been 237/301.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Chris_A said:

If every state had voted the same as last Tuesday, Clinton would have lost every presidential election from 1868 onwards. The worst she would have done would have been the 1912-1928 elections when the split would have been 204/327 and the best recent one would have been 1992-2000 when it would have been 237/301.

This is just accounting for shifts in the EVs due to population?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Chris_A said:

This is just accounting for shifts in the EVs due to population?
    Yes
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710

Alastair Meeks finishes with a very pertinent question : just why are the Government so desperate to avoid discussing Article 50 in Parliament when only The Libdems & SNP are opposing ?
    firstly that they believe that only the hardest of Hard Brexits is actually possible & they dont think that would get through Parliament. Perhaps they think that The Economic damage will be forgotten by 2020 ? Perhaps they just arent thinking that far ahead ?
    secondly, the plan is actually Soft Brexit, ie the same as now only with no control. If they were to admit that their own Backbenches would revolt, egged on by The Press.
    I dont find either explanation fully satisfying since both simply delay the explosions by a few months.
    Perhaps there is no answer & The Government are just running with no idea of a destination.

Brexit is one massive contradiction, which literally means no successful outcome is possible. And by the way, that shouldn't be taken as suggestion to stay in the EU. Remaining in the EU is impossible too.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Be prepared for righteous condemnation for being realistic. I got it the last few times when I suggested that Obama and Dave get Assad round the table and help him defeat ISIS and broker a ceasefire with the remaining rebels but essentially leave him in power to exterminate them quietly. Shitty, but I think we have to deal with reality, rather than what we want to be true.
    Trump has identified the true enemy of America, and the West, and it is ISIS - and jihadism in general - not Assad. Let liberal interventionism die the death it deserves.

The West is in relative decline. Our decline can be managed and moderate, and quite bearable, and it will bottom out with a kind of parity with Asia...... or it can be awful and swift and end with hideous civil strife if we allow Islamism to grow in the ME and flourish in our own cities, even as the Chinese abolish Ramadan and the Japanese allow zero immigration.

Trump is right. Putin is our ALLY in Syria. Bomb Isis to fuck and be done with it.

What is the west in "relative decline with" ?
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    GIN1138 said:

As for Labour winning the the next election on a REMAIN argument, LEAVE won the referendum by a landslide when you look at he result constituency by constituency.

What's much more likely to happen is that those the public perceive to be thwarting the will of the British people to leave the EU (Labour and Lib-Dems) will be punished.

You may well finish up with UKIP winning 40 seats and holding the balance of power in a hung parliament thus paving the way for a Con-UKIP government and the hardest of Brexit's possible.

I quite agree with your potential outcome; that is the risk that those who are desperate to remain have to weigh up. If they perceive it as the only chance, then they will, presumably, be willing to accept the risk.

As for what was the point of the referendum, it was offered in relatively good faith. But if the then government did not see fit to make contingency plans for a Leave result, it could easily be that they missed such a basic factor.

If our courts decide that there is no legal route to Brexit then the government will need either to accept that the UK is chained to the EU by our own domestic law, or change the law so that the UK can leave legally.

If it's the make-up of parliament (the MPs' convictions) that's blocking a legal route to Brexit, then again we are left with the need for a GE to change the make-up of parliament.

I voted Leave. If Mr Corbyn was the only party leader to be offering A50 in the manifesto at a GE, would I be willing to see him as PM in order to leave?

It's a hard question to answer, but I think the answer is Yes, I would.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    FF43 said:

Brexit is one massive contradiction, which literally means no successful outcome is possible. And by the way, that shouldn't be taken as suggestion to stay in the EU. Remaining in the EU is impossible too.
    More precisely, if a successful outcome is impossible, you have to consider unsuccessful ones. Muddle through and make the best of a bad job in other words. But as each side blames the other no-one is in a muddle through frame of mind.
  • Options
    Just remembered from the last couple of threads people mentioning the Dems finding a real life Matt Santos. They already found him, the character was based on Barack Obama, Josh was based on Rahm Emmanuel.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    The nature of the case has been woefully and wilfully misrepresented in the media. The case was not about whether Brexit should be blocked: it has not blocked Brexit.

I disagree with Alistair M on plenty, but on that he is entirely correct. And too many people know that, making the hysteria intentional distraction fodder. What was worst was Theresa May joining in while pretending she wasn't - a spokesman said it was nonsense the government had attacked judicial independence, but the write up in the same Telegraph article stated May was warning politicians 'and judges' not to thwart Brexit, proving the lie from the spokesman.

The point about the irrevocableness of the process post article 50 declaration is a difficult one to try to step back from I think. Separately, May has staked a lot on setting an end date for when we trigger, and its hard to see that being slipped - while it would be nonsense to suggest a date she plucked from thin air is a date we cannot go beyond, that we cannot delay further the triggering, it would be damaging for her, and if we were to start approaching a year from the referendum and we hadn't formally started to leave, I think that would be difficult all around.

The government is of course 'confident' of winning the appeal, but who knows on that score, they were confident of winning initially, so their confidence can be entirely misplaced. Certainly while I was pretty convinced by the argument of the judges I've seen enough argument against it to think they instead could be wrong, which I can certainly accept - it seems appropriate that such a power should be for parliament, in the absence of a binding referendum, but if the law says otherwise, it is what it is.

As for the final question, why not involve parliament, I don't give much credence to the idea they are afraid parliament won't do it. Yes, that is possible and it is certainly what the claimants want, but as you say the Tories have a majority (in the Commons - isn't it less than majority in the Lords, given the Crossbenchers?), and most Labour MPs aren't likely to simply not trigger, even if they want to frustrate the government's general approach. No, it seems more likely to be the worry about our intended position being messed with by parliament muddling it up, with a bit of good old governments just wanting to control things.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

NoEasyDay said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Trump has identified the true enemy of America, and the West, and it is ISIS - and jihadism in general - not Assad. Let liberal interventionism die the death it deserves.

The West is in relative decline. Our decline can be managed and moderate, and quite bearable, and it will bottom out with a kind of parity with Asia...... or it can be awful and swift and end with hideous civil strife if we allow Islamism to grow in the ME and flourish in our own cities, even as the Chinese abolish Ramadan and the Japanese allow zero immigration.

Trump is right. Putin is our ALLY in Syria. Bomb Isis to fuck and be done with it.

China, Asia, the BRICS.

Derrr

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ac/71/46/ac7146a4226663395ab3884325c96cfc.jpg
    So to start at the beginning. Brazil is in recession. Russia is fucked by the oil price. China by the way is one of brics, and whose growth rates decline by the day. India, then yes I agree.

• Options
    AnneJGP said:

GIN1138 said:

As for Labour winning the the next election on a REMAIN argument, LEAVE won the referendum by a landslide when you look at he result constituency by constituency.

I quite agree with your potential outcome; that is the risk that those who are desperate to remain have to weigh up. If they perceive it as the only chance, then they will, presumably, be willing to accept the risk.

As for what was the point of the referendum, it was offered in relatively good faith. But if the then government did not see fit to make contingency plans for a Leave result, it could easily be that they missed such a basic factor.

If our courts decide that there is no legal route to Brexit then the government will need either to accept that the UK is chained to the EU by our own domestic law, or change the law so that the UK can leave legally.

If it's the make-up of parliament (the MPs' convictions) that's blocking a legal route to Brexit, then again we are left with the need for a GE to change the make-up of parliament.

I voted Leave. If Mr Corbyn was the only party leader to be offering A50 in the manifesto at a GE, would I be willing to see him as PM in order to leave?

If Parliament won't vote through A50, then a General Election is necessary.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Plenty. It has put the main party on notice as to what the public thinks on that basic point, and as is our system, the MPs have to figure out the detail of how to meet our expectations on that. In the absence of a referendum, even if a party saying they want to leave winning a GE, there would be uncertainty if it was that policy people voted for, and even then perhaps only 35% or so did, etc etc.

Yes, the referendum was not binding, it does not technically need to happen, but we've all seen how committed the Tories now are on it, and how Labour steps back when it looks like they might be lukewarm on it - there is too much at stake for them politically to ignore the referendum, even if they can legally do so. But they cannot do it without consequence, and do we really think they will collectively accept risking those consequences?

Honestly, I think it a good thing the process is being challenged now, beforehand. The political weather is still very much to ensure Brexit will happen, and it is hard to see how that will change, and getting the procedural and legal questions resolved now will prevent the possibility of arguments about it later.

Establishing and following the proper process, being challenged when you prove later you were correct all along, it is frustrating. But it is important to be able to challenge such things, to ensure power is not abused through lack of ability to challenge. The answer is to stay on track, adjust tack if required, and if the goal is important enough you'll make sure you get there.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    MaxPB said:

Just remembered from the last couple of threads people mentioning the Dems finding a real life Matt Santos. They already found him, the character was based on Barack Obama, Josh was based on Rahm Emmanuel.

Rahm Emanuel (one 'm') who nearly lost his reelection bid as Mayor of Chicago? He is deemed too far to the right for the modern day Dems and is not at all loved by minorities.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

AnneJGP said:

GIN1138 said:

If Parliament won't vote through A50, then a General Election is necessary.
    Yes. And if it were the Lords in particular who were the hold up, I would think immediate Lords reform would feature on the list of the winner, which I would expect to be the leaver parties, overwhelmingly.

What would be awkward would be an election fought on a hard brexit soft brexit line
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

Rahm Emanuel (one 'm') who nearly lost his reelection bid as Mayor of Chicago? He is deemed too far to the right for the modern day Dems and is not at all loved by minorities.
    Oh I know, he's a liability. Just pointing out that the Dems don't have an Obama/Santos like prince over the water they can call on. Like Labour they are suffering from a dearth of talent.
  • Options
    NoEasyDay said:

Agreed. I do think if they win the appeal then the initial loss will have been useful for the government, as it angries up a whole bunch of people on a distraction point (it should never be forgotten the government did not contest that the question raised was one for the courts to answer, so the 'who do lawyers think they are?' stuff is bunkum, it is absurd to suggest the government be allowed to interpret the extent of its own powers without challenge, even if ultimately they got it right), but May does not strike me as so silly as to take such a risk intentionally for such an advantage.
  • Options
    NoEasyDay said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

China, most obviously. India further down the line.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Plenty. It has put the main party on notice as to what the public thinks on that basic point, and as is our system, the MPs have to figure out the detail of how to meet our expectations on that. In the absence of a referendum, even if a party saying they want to leave winning a GE, there would be uncertainty if it was that policy people voted for, and even then perhaps only 35% or so did, etc etc.

Yes, the referendum was not binding, it does not technically need to happen, but we've all seen how committed the Tories now are on it, and how Labour steps back when it looks like they might be lukewarm on it - there is too much at stake for them politically to ignore the referendum, even if they can legally do so. But they cannot do it without consequence, and do we really think they will collectively accept risking those consequences?

Honestly, I think it a good thing the process is being challenged now, beforehand. The political weather is still very much to ensure Brexit will happen, and it is hard to see how that will change, and getting the procedural and legal questions resolved now will prevent the possibility of arguments about it later.

Establishing and following the proper process, being challenged when you prove later you were correct all along, it is frustrating. But it is important to be able to challenge such things, to ensure power is not abused through lack of ability to challenge. The answer is to stay on track, adjust tack if required, and if the goal is important enough you'll make sure you get there.
    Yes, agree.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2016
    Speedy said:

About 3 million people drive trucks for a living in the US, but that tw@tter graphic is false.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/no-truck-driver-isnt-the-most-common-job-in-your-state-2015-02-12
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    SeanT said:

NoEasyDay said:

SeanT said:

NoEasyDay said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Be prepared for righteous condemnation for being realistic. I got it the last few times when I suggested that Obama and Dave get Assad round ant to be true.
    Trump has identified the true enemy of America, and the West, and it is ISIS - and jihadism in general

China, Asia, the BRICS.

Derrr

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ac/71/46/ac7146a4226663395ab3884325c96cfc.jpg
    So to start at the beginning. Brazil is in recession. Russia is fucked by the oil price. China by the way is one of brics, and whose growth rates decline by the day. India, then yes I agree.

China has already overtaken the USA in terms of GDP by PPP. China is now the world's biggest importer, exporter, manufacturer, and home to the world's largest middle class. Denying that this is anything but swift relative decline (given that the USA was ten times bigger than China about 30 years ago) is just crazy.

Where China has led others will follow, especially India, Indonesia, then Vietnam (population 100m) etc. Brazil will eventually sort itself out.

The West is in brisk relative decline. Our pomp is done, the hegemony is over, let's fold the flags. But there's no reason for us to decline into total defeatism. The West can and should be a very major player in a multipolar world unless we completely fuck up - e.g by allowing Islam to penetrate our societies so deeply we destroy what makes us free.
    China and India both have populations around a billion. The U.S. and Europe populations around 300 to 400 million. China and India should both be superpowers at the very least the equal of the US, the surprising thing is they ever ceased to be so. Of course while on GDP terms both will be at the top in GDP per capita terms, which is what really counts for most people in terms of their everyday lives, most of the West will still be well ahead even as Asia closes the gap
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

NoEasyDay said:

SeanT said:

NoEasyDay said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Be prepared for righteous condemnation for being realistic. I got it the last few times when I suggested that Obama and Dave get Assad round ant to be true.
    Trump has identified the true enemy of America, and the West, and it is ISIS - and jihadism in general

China, Asia, the BRICS.

Derrr

China has already overtaken the USA in terms of GDP by PPP. China is now the world's biggest importer, exporter, manufacturer, and home to the world's largest middle class. Denying that this is anything but swift relative decline (given that the USA was ten times bigger than China about 30 years ago) is just crazy.

Where China has led others will follow, especially India, Indonesia, then Vietnam (population 100m) etc. Brazil will eventually sort itself out.

The West is in brisk relative decline. Our pomp is done, the hegemony is over, let's fold the flags. But there's no reason for us to decline into total defeatism. The West can and should be a very major player in a multipolar world unless we completely fuck up - e.g by allowing Islam to penetrate our societies so deeply we destroy what makes us free.
    China and India both have populations around a billion. The U.S. and Europe populations around 300 to 400 million. China and India should both be superpowers at the very least the equal of the US, the surprising thing is they ever ceased to be so. Of course while on GDP terms both will be at the top in GDP per capita terms, which is what really counts for most people in terms of their everyday lives, most of the West will still be well ahead even as Asia closes the gap
    Relative decline does not equal decine.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    Looks like Trump is prepared to compromise on Obamacare, keeping elements like coverage for those with pre-existing conditions
  • Options

Speedy said:

Over 3.5 million people drive trucks for a living in the US.
    I know people who drive delivery vehicles. A key part of their work is delivering - unloading a parcel/pallet and delivering it to the final destination.

Have the driverless vehicles got that part covered, too?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2016
    AnneJGP said:

Speedy said:

Over 3.5 million people drive trucks for a living in the US.
    I know people who drive delivery vehicles. A key part of their work is delivering - unloading a parcel/pallet and delivering it to the final destination.

Have the driverless vehicles got that part covered, too?
    China's equivalent of Amazon has been developing tech that they claim in their distribution centres will soon require no humans to take the packet from the point of order to picking to even loading to van.

Out on the road, the task is much harder, because things like pesky humans get in the way and companies don't control the infrastructure.
  • Options
    Apparently the Dems have just found the birth certificate of Obamas identical twin Brian Obama.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

NoEasyDay said:

SeanT said:

NoEasyDay said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

China, Asia, the BRICS.

Derrr

Relative decline does not equal dec[l]ine.
    In terms of power, it does.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    ' If the executive does not recognise sufficiently the need to protect an independent judiciary, the judiciary will be far more inclined to ensure that other checks and balances on the executive’s power are adequate. The government’s studied refusal to put the Mail and the Telegraph in their place may well ultimately prove to be an own goal.'

Don't these poor darlings realize that we have a free press or do they want to control that as well?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

NoEasyDay said:

SeanT said:

NoEasyDay said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

China, Asia, the BRICS.

Derrr

No it doesn't. it's not a nil sum game.
  • Options
    BTW...what is the place called China people are discussing....I have heard of Vvvhiinnna, that according to Trump is stealing all the jobs, but not China.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

NoEasyDay said:

SeanT said:

NoEasyDay said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

China, Asia, the BRICS.

Derrr

No it doesn't. it's not a nil sum game.
    How can all countries increase their influence simultaneously when they are all acting within the same system?
  • Options
    Good night all, thanks for the discussions.
This discussion has been closed.