Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Could it, should it, will it soon be Lord Farage?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited November 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Could it, should it, will it soon be Lord Farage?

An intriguing part of PMQs today was May’s response when asked if UKIP leader Nigel Farage will be given a peerage – this starting speculation that he will be. The PM’s response was “such matters are normally never discussed in public”.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Hertsmere_PubgoerHertsmere_Pubgoer Posts: 3,476
    edited November 2016
    Hopefully. And my 1st first for ages.
  • Options
    Just abolish the chamber and move on.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    No.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    No, No, No!
  • Options
    It would certainly put some fizz into the HOL.

Imagine his speeches to the Lordships
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Lord Farage of where?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Yes. NO. Probably.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Lord Farage of where?

Trump Towers
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    weejonnie said:

Lord Farage of where?

Jaywick
  • Options

No, No, No!

It would be fun. Probably unlikely but if the HOL start being all undemocratic he would be the ideal candidate to lead for their abolition
  • Options
    A personality of Farage's prestige and significance should be offered a Duchy. I'd suggest the Duke of Sunderland,
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995

The only problem being that almost all his criticisms about the EU parliament (taking shop, unelected politicians, people no one has heard of) are also true of the House of Lords.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

weejonnie said:

Lord Farage of where?

Jaywick
    Waterloo?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Farage merits an important Cabinet position.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The only problem being that almost all his criticisms about the EU parliament (taking shop, unelected politicians, people no one has heard of) are also true of the House of Lords.
    I don't see that as a problem to be fair - the HOL needs complete revision
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

That could be a feature rather than a bug if the plan is to abolish the HoL.
  • Options
    I was assured by Tory leavers that Brexit didn't mean Farage being near the levers of power, joining the Tory party, or becoming a Lord.

Would be apt for the Lords that the only way a man who failed seven times to become an MP joins Parliaments is via the unelected Lords
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Lord Farage of where?

I don't know if Nige has any Orkney connections, but Twatt is free.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    To be fair, a few UKIP Peers wouldn't be unreasonable - and would certainly help the govt getting key Brexit-related bills through the Lords in the coming years, without needing to be seen 'stuffing' it with Tories.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    rcs1000 said:

As a revising chamber I think that's okay.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Lord Farage of where?

:D
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

weejonnie said:

Lord Farage of where?

The Lord Twatt?
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Sean_F said:

That reminds me of a story about Nicholas Soames...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

To be fair, a few UKIP Peers wouldn't be unreasonable - and would certainly help the govt getting key Brexit-related bills through the Lords in the coming years, without needing to be seen 'stuffing' it with Tories.

It would be more than fair.
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

It's no coincidence that no other country in the world has a second chamber appointed in the way ours is
  • Options
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

weejonnie said:

Lord Farage of where?

The Lord Twatt?
    Lord Farage of Twatt in the county of Orkney. Lord Twatt for short.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

It's no coincidence that no other country in the world has a second chamber appointed in the way ours is
    Their loss :p
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

It's one of the curiosities of the UK system that being a noteworthy parliamentarian is considered a good reason to give someone executive office. No-one in America would say that Ted Cruz should be made Treasury Secretary, for example.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    weejonnie said:

Lord Farage of where?

Brussels, Rome, and Strasbourg
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Their loss :p
    In the case of 25% of the world they literally did lose it, or perhaps shed it would be the right word.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

weejonnie said:

Lord Farage of where?

I'm trying to think of when the last extraterritorial peerage was awarded. Earl of Burma must be one of the last?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

It's one of the curiosities of the UK system that being a noteworthy parliamentarian is considered a good reason to give someone executive office. No-one in America would say that Ted Cruz should be made Treasury Secretary, for example.
    Westminster system, surely? Had a quick peek at Australia's Cabinet, and they all sit in the legislature.
  • Options
    RobD said:

welshowl said:

weejonnie said:

Lord Farage of where?

I'm trying to think of when the last extraterritorial peerage was awarded. Earl of Burma must be one of the last?
    Alamein?

(who is "Lord Burma" by the way?)
  • Options
    RobD said:

welshowl said:

weejonnie said:

Lord Farage of where?

Does Lord Ashcroft count?
  • Options
    welshowl said:

RobD said:

welshowl said:

weejonnie said:

Lord Farage of where?

Alamein?

Countess Mountbatten of Burma. There was special remainder as he had no sons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patricia_Knatchbull,_2nd_Countess_Mountbatten_of_Burma
  • Options
    RobD said:

welshowl said:

RobD said:

welshowl said:

weejonnie said:

Lord Farage of where?

Alamein?

Countess Mountbatten of Burma. There was special remainder as he had no sons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patricia_Knatchbull,_2nd_Countess_Mountbatten_of_Burma
    Ah I see. Thanks.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Sean_F said:

Westminster system, surely? Had a quick peek at Australia's Cabinet, and they all sit in the legislature.
    True. Come to think of it the same is true of the German Cabinet so it's not so unusual.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

welshowl said:

weejonnie said:

Lord Farage of where?

Baron Ashcroft of Chichester in the County of West Sussex.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

That is so not true. Only the other day I heard none other than Ted Cruz say that Ted Cruz should be Treasury Secretary.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,004
    weejonnie said:

Lord Farage of where?

Several years back I heard an interview with a lady who said that when she was ennobled, she was advised that most people chose somewhere they were born, lived, or had close connections to.

She considered this, and decided not to be called: "Lady ??? of Six Mile Bottom".

(I wish I could remember who it was).

If anyone was mad enough to ennoble me, I'd like to be called Lord Jessop of Water-cum-Jolly Dale"
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    edited November 2016
    It would be the very embodiment of lunacy for May to give Farage a peerage. Why provide him with yet another pedestal from which he can sneer at the government, advertise himself and humiliate May at every turn? That said, it appears that the Tory Right are agitating for it, so it will probably happen.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    FPT:

I am the Daddy now!

https://youtu.be/HDPO9UG_CY4
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

welshowl said:

weejonnie said:

Lord Farage of where?

Damn, you're right. I was sure he was of Belize, and speed-read through his wiki before posting - and still missed it.

Did manage to remind myself to visit the Imperial War Museum when next in Blighty though - his stunning collection of VCs is on display there. :)
  • Options
    Actually, does the place have to be in the UK? If not, he could be Lord Farage of Bruxelles. ;)
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    FPT @ Malmesbury: "OODA is about making decisions faster than the opposition."

Yes, but an element of making decisions faster than the opposition is proactively changing the environment/battlefield so that they are discombobulated and so take longer to make decisions.

The Trump version of this is to throw moral outrages around that are so outside the normal discourse of politics that people either don't know how to react, or react as per usual thinking this is politics as normal when it is not. And then as they finally react to the first moral outrage, he has already moved on to the next, and does not bother responding to their response - he has redefined the environment and his opponents are constantly playing catch up.
  • Options

Actually, does the place have to be in the UK? If not, he could be Lord Farage of Bruxelles. ;)

A barony would be a suitable rank for that city ;)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

welshowl said:

weejonnie said:

Lord Farage of where?

Damn, you're right. I was sure he was of Belize, and speed-read through his wiki before posting - and still missed it.

Did manage to remind myself to visit the Imperial War Museum when next in Blighty though - his stunning collection of VCs is on display there. :)
    He was probably called Lord Ashcroft of Belize by the press to make the point he was a non dom.
  • Options
    RobD said:

A barony would be a suitable rank for that city ;)
    Robber barony?
  • Options

Lord Farage of Beaulieu. ;) (New Forest, not sur-mer...)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

weejonnie said:

Lord Farage of where?

The Lord Twatt?
    Or Lord Bell End
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    I am actually quite a fan of the house of lords. It is the final bastion of sanity in our public life. It is the only place that legislation gets scrutinised. That is a sad reflection on how dysfunctional our democracy is.

Whilst I definetly don't agree with Farage or his politics I don't really have a problem with him being appointed to the house of lords. People will go apeshit, but maybe then they will get more involved in politics, and not leave it to losers like me to campaign in elections.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

weejonnie said:

Lord Farage of where?

The Lord Twatt?
    Or Lord Bell End
    The subsidiary title.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Lord Farage of where?

Several years back I heard an interview with a lady who said that when she was ennobled, she was advised that most people chose somewhere they were born, lived, or had close connections to.

She considered this, and decided not to be called: "Lady ??? of Six Mile Bottom".

(I wish I could remember who it was).

If anyone was mad enough to ennoble me, I'd like to be called Lord Jessop of Water-cum-Jolly Dale"
    Think it was Baroness Trumpington, giving a neat semi-closure to the conversion.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    RobD said:

welshowl said:

weejonnie said:

Lord Farage of where?

El Alamain?
    Lord Alexander?
    Doesn't Lots4 Archer have an Irish Mark as well Weston-Super-Mate

Going back further you've Hillsborough/Downshire and Wellington/Douro/Talevida/Wellesley
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Lord Farage of Kent sounds nice - but.........

There was a young man of Kent.................. LOL
  • Options
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

welshowl said:

weejonnie said:

Lord Farage of where?

He was probably called Lord Ashcroft of Belize by the press to make the point he was a non dom.
    Yes, I think it started with Labour going completely nuts with him in about 2008, after he put millions into a marginal seat campaign for GE2010. Plenty of media references to that 'title' being used.
  • Options
    Charles said:

RobD said:

welshowl said:

weejonnie said:

Lord Farage of where?

El Alamain?
    Lord Alexander?
    Doesn't Lots4 Archer have an Irish Mark as well Weston-Super-Mate

Going back further you've Hillsborough/Downshire and Wellington/Douro/Talevida/Wellesley
    Alamein was '46
    Burma (Earldom) was '47 (was already a Viscountcy before this)
    Tunis (Earldom) was '52 (ditto)
  • Options

Or to annoy our Scottish friends, Beauly.
  • Options

Or to annoy our Scottish friends, Beauly.
    Or Irvine, for maximum confusion and because it's the birthplace of Nicola Sturgeon.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2016
    FT front page make big claim about what Hammond will reveal as the cost of brexit next week (although it is predicated on being compared to Osborne's fancy figures for a budget surplus come 2019).
  • Options
    Nigel Farage has had a huge influence on UK, US and EU politics and it would be justified to appoint him to the HOL together with a few more Ukippers.

Please let me make it clear that I do not support UKIP but when you think how many the Lib Dems have in the HOL with only 8 MP's it does seem to be unfair
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Only if the government wants to shift the balance a bit in the House of Lords.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Why did I miss him winning an election?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    edited November 2016
    Not sure if mentioned but you cannot be an MEP and member of the House of Lords at the same time.

If made a Peer, Farage would have to resign as an MEP before taking his seat in the Lords.

This happened last month with Timothy Kirkhope (new Con Peer).

So means quite a big loss of salary + expenses.
  • Options

FT front page make big claim about what Hammond will reveal as the cost of brexit next week (although it is predicated on compared to Osborne's fancy figures for a budget surplus come 2019).

I hope all the Leavers who said they would vote down Osborne's punishment budget stick to their promise. Hammond's figure seems to be 3 times scarier.
  • Options
    Lord Chipping Norton would be a good choice.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

FT front page make big claim about what Hammond will reveal as the cost of brexit next week (although it is predicated on compared to Osborne's fancy figures for a budget surplus come 2019).

I hope all the Leavers who said they would vote down Osborne's punishment budget stick to their promise. Hammond's figure seems to be 3 times scarier.
    If that is Hammond's budget then it will be very risky for the Tories to go for a GE.

It will be Omnishambles ++.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''I hope all the Leavers who said they would vote down Osborne's punishment budget stick to their promise. Hammond's figure seems to be 3 times scarier. ''

Those aren't Hammond's figures they are the FTs.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''I hope all the Leavers who said they would vote down Osborne's punishment budget stick to their promise. Hammond's figure seems to be 3 times scarier. ''

Those aren't Hammond's figures they are the FTs.

It says that figure will be in the Autumn Statement.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Why did I miss him winning an election?
    The only thing I could think of is Undersecretary of Transatlantic Affairs.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited November 2016

I heard a bunch of forecasts in June. They were wrong by July. The most accurate forecast was the one that said they would be wrong.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

FT front page make big claim about what Hammond will reveal as the cost of brexit next week (although it is predicated on being compared to Osborne's fancy figures for a budget surplus come 2019).

If £100bn is being leaked it won't be anywhere near as bad.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''I heard a bunch of forecasts in June.''

Many of them were made by the FT. And that's what remainers don't get. FT, Economist, Times - less credibility than before June.

The depth of the remainer defeat is still yet to sink in.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

But it will be bad...

Why are we doing this again? Why is a Conservative government pulling down the roof when the forecast is for rain?
  • Options
    Today's reminder of why Hillary lost:

https://twitter.com/lennyletter/status/798941323965370368

"I love Hillary Clinton. I am in awe of her. I am set free by her. She will be the finest world leader our galaxy has ever seen."

" But the feminist hero never got to be a legend first. And yet she is one, easily surpassing Ben Franklin, Henry Ford, Steve Jobs."

"She belongs to a much more elite class of Americans, the more-than-presidents. Neil Armstrong, Martin Luther King Jr., Alexander Fucking Hamilton."

"She cannot be faulted, criticized, or analyzed for even one more second. Instead, she will be decorated as an epochal heroine far too extraordinary to be contained by the mere White House. Let that revolting president-elect be Millard Fillmore or Herbert Hoover or whatever. Hillary is Athena."
  • Options
    Nigel Farage is a count?
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    Sean_F said:

Lord Protector (until A50+2y).
  • Options
    UK social divisions more entrenched than ever

Grammar schools will make situation worse, says government commission

https://www.ft.com/content/59f1a080-abd7-11e6-ba7d-76378e4fef24
  • Options

Nigel Farage has had a huge influence on UK, US and EU politics and it would be justified to appoint him to the HOL together with a few more Ukippers.

Please let me make it clear that I do not support UKIP but when you think how many the Lib Dems have in the HOL with only 8 MP's it does seem to be unfair

Quite so. I might have gone off Farage myself (and I have) but disliking him and his political views is not an argument not to enoble him given his huge significance on the British political
    scene, when there are 104 Liberal Democrat peers, and only 3 for UKIP.

Reform of the House of Lords is, of course, a perfectly valid but separate issue.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Lord Farage of Hope?

• Options

Lord Farage of Hope?

He'd be told to fuck off if he ever visited Hope
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I suspect Lord Montagu of Beaulieu might object.
  • Options
    Lord Farage of Nob End would be palatable to me.

I believe it is a nice village in Lancashire
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I would wait for the real figures, and then look at the underlying detail before jumping to any conclusions.
  • Options

Nigel Farage is a count?

I've gone back to having a proper Yorkshire accent, which means I drop the c-bomb every time I say 'Couldn't'
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Turns out it isn't the OBR as the FT seem to imply but a PwC forecast.

http://www.cityam.com/253587/public-borrowing-could-overrun-100bn-over-next-five-years
  • Options

Lord Farage of Hope?

The People's Peer.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Speedy said:

"I love Hillary Clinton. I am in awe of her. I am set free by her. She will be the finest world leader our galaxy has ever seen."

" But the feminist hero never got to be a legend first. And yet she is one, easily surpassing Ben Franklin, Henry Ford, Steve Jobs."

"She belongs to a much more elite class of Americans, the more-than-presidents. Neil Armstrong, Martin Luther King Jr., Alexander Fucking Hamilton."

"She cannot be faulted, criticized, or analyzed for even one more second. Instead, she will be decorated as an epochal heroine far too extraordinary to be contained by the mere White House. Let that revolting president-elect be Millard Fillmore or Herbert Hoover or whatever. Hillary is Athena."

I thought one thing that fascists held was adulation of the leader.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Where's the vomit emoticon when you need it?

And what is about lefty fanboys? Obama stopping the rise of the oceans and healing the planet ...
  • Options

http://www.cityam.com/253587/public-borrowing-could-overrun-100bn-over-next-five-years

Not a good couple of days for the accounting consulting firms.
  • Options

It's probably that old ruse of hinting at extreme nastiness so that the moderate nastiness we actually get doesn't seem so bad. I think Hammond will deliver Punishment Budget plus plus rather than Punishment Budget plus plus plus plus plus.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Lord Farage of Foy in the county of Herefordshire and Hartlepool in the county of Durham.
  • Options

It looks like it pushes out budget balance from FY19/20 to FY 22/23, to me.

Which makes sense given the changed circumstances.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited November 2016
    Speedy said:

All heavily sarcastic. Surely the worst presidential candidate in living memory.
  • Options

FT being naughtier than a delitotte consultant on secondment to the government.
  • Options
    The FT article is up

The Office for Budget Responsibility has drawn up the forecasts the government will present and officials acknowledge they have been grappling for weeks with weak tax revenues and an outlook for lower growth.

The consensus of independent economic forecasts, which are generally close to the OBR’s, show mediocre economic growth until 2020 with higher inflation and weaker business investment combining to slow revenues to the exchequer. Once converted by the OBR into likely tax revenues, the deterioration in the public finances will cumulate to around £100bn.

The Institute for Fiscal Studies has estimated that a weaker economic outlook would lead to roughly £30bn in additional borrowing by 2019-20 before any gains from lower contributions to the EU budget are taken into account.

An official forecast along these lines would vindicate the Treasury’s pre-referendum central estimate of a £36bn annual cost of Brexit to the public purse but it would come only five years after the vote, indicating the cost might rise further in future.

https://www.ft.com/content/acb33786-ac16-11e6-9cb3-bb8207902122
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

It looks like it pushes out budget balance from FY19/20 to FY 22/23, to me.

Which makes sense given the changed circumstances.
    They have no idea what the circumstances will be in 2019, let alone 2023.

This discussion has been closed.