Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why the 5/1 that President Trump will be impeached during his

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited November 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why the 5/1 that President Trump will be impeached during his first term is not an attractive bet

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First like Trump :)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    edited November 2016

Damn and blast! Now I'm like Clinton :(
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    RobD said:

No ground game, complacent, entitled and disliked? That's not right. ;)
  • Options

RobD said:

No ground game, complacent, entitled and disliked? That's not right. ;)
    Only three of the four... bugger!
  • Options
    In the line at the supermarket. Headline of the "Globe" (I can only assume a reputable journal of record), has the headline "Charles seizes throne in Palace coup".

Have I missed something? :D
  • Options
    RobD said:

In the line at the supermarket. Headline of the "Globe" (I can only assume a reputable journal of record), has the headline "Charles seizes throne in Palace coup".

Have I missed something? :D

Subtitle "Queen to be exiled!"
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,984
    Think Mr F is right. Not going to happen, unless something really horrible comes out of Trump's past. However, what if the University case goes on, and, before inauguration, finds against him?
    Clearly if Trump falls then Pence takes over, and I'm not sure which is the worse choice. Pence hasn't, so far as I know offended anyone personally, especially senior Republicans, and might not get into the same amount of bother with Congress as Trump has the capacity to do.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Will President Trump be impeached? Of core snot!
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    "Imaginary man comes second in list of best-known MEPs in Wales"

http://news.sky.com/story/imaginary-man-comes-second-in-list-of-best-known-meps-in-wales-10660086
  • Options
    MikeL said:
    MEPs from the UK are an endangered species, thankfully!
  • Options
    Trump will be a figure-head president, albeit one who describes policy-direction: Veep Pence will be the executive first-minster. Odds need to be longer: Nice try though!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    Morning. Thanks Mr @Fishing for an informative article. The impeachment process is deliberately set with a high bar, to stop it being used for overtly political reasons,

I agree with your logic of waiting to see how the new president's first few months in office go before considering the bet. Trump's first 100 days in office will be very interesting to watch.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Morning. Thanks Mr @Fishing for an informative article. The impeachment process is deliberately set with a high bar, to stop it being used for overtly political reasons,

I agree with your logic of waiting to see how the new president's first few months in office go before considering the bet. Trump's first 100 days in office will be very interesting to watch.

I'm not sure interesting is the word I'd chose, not being Chinese!
  • Options
    There'll be no impeachment, but keep an eye out for Section Four of the 25th Amendment:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-fifth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,119
    And some good news to start the day, about a British conservation success: yay for the Cirl Bunting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38008471
  • Options
    And another, about uncurled bunting:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38008954
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    @fishing

It does look an unlikly process, with the only real prospect being that Trump being so extremely incompetent and erratic that a fully controlled Republican Congress and Senate would depose him. That would require them putting country before party, so very unlikely.

• Options

@fishing

It does look an unlikly process, with the only real prospect being that Trump being so extremely incompetent and erratic that a fully controlled Republican Congress and Senate would depose him. That would require them putting country before party, so very unlikely.

Removing Trump may well come to be a party issue for the Republicans too. If he becomes even more unpopular than he is currently (1 million + behind in the popular vote now) then Republicans in the legislature are going to start to get nervous. The last thing they want is a motivated Democrat vote in 2018. The 25th amendment is a much easier way to remove Trump than seeking impeachment.
  • Options

@fishing

Which is why a Republican Congress deposing President Hillary would have been a better bet.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Congress can block almost any presidential action without seeking impeachment. The only known unknown I can see that might tip the balance is Trump's Russian links.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Thought PBers would appreciate this little nugget re time to appoint senior team by new POTUS.

The media are making a tremendous fuss about Trump appointing two by Day 7. Look at previous post holders.

Ari Fleischer
    Based on history, don't expect news yet about most major appointments. I just found this from my transition files. https://t.co/GF2NIcIXeE
  • Options

Think Mr F is right. Not going to happen, unless something really horrible comes out of Trump's past. However, what if the University case goes on, and, before inauguration, finds against him?
    Clearly if Trump falls then Pence takes over, and I'm not sure which is the worse choice. Pence hasn't, so far as I know offended anyone personally, especially senior Republicans, and might not get into the same amount of bother with Congress as Trump has the capacity to do.

Trump would have to repeat that trick Nixon pulled of recording himself committing the crime.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Clearly impeachment is crazy until you realise that VP Pence is one of GOP established leadership . Pence is likely to be the most influential VP in years.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,282
    Sandpit said:

Didn't stop the Clinton nonsense although arguably it did ensure that it came to an unsuccessful conclusion.

For the reasons Fishing sets out it is highly possible that we might have a repeat with the process starting but an actual impeachment? I would say no chance.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Thought PBers would appreciate this little nugget re time to appoint senior team by new POTUS.

The media are making a tremendous fuss about Trump appointing two by Day 7. Look at previous post holders.

Ari Fleischer
    Based on history, don't expect news yet about most major appointments. I just found this from my transition files. https://t.co/GF2NIcIXeE

It's not impossible to imagine an extended version of The Apprentice playing out now behind the scenes, with Trump testing those who think they have got what it takes to help govern America, only to hear the dreaded words....

I wonder if there is a fly-on-wall camera crew following the President Elect around? Now that I WOULD watch....
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Clearly impeachment is crazy until you realise that VP Pence is one of GOP established leadership . Pence is likely to be the most influential VP in years.

Perhaps one possible route short of impeachment is for a poor/weird/loony President Trump to de disowned by the Republican Party? Not sure if there is a process to expel Trump, but it might be slightly less damaging than a full Red-on-Red impeachment.
  • Options
    Great article Fishing. I agree, far too short at 5/1 for all the reasons you outline so thoroughly above.

Would I take the bet at 10/1?

Probably not even then. I'd be looking for something closer to 20/1. A successful impeachment is far less likely than the proceedings alone being initiated.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    As others have said if there is no smoking gun then the chance of impeachment is very low.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

If he becomes even more unpopular than he is currently (1 million + behind in the popular vote now) then Republicans in the legislature are going to start to get nervous.

It must really nark Republican grandees that Trump was able to win where it mattered.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited November 2016

Jonathan said:

Perhaps one possible route short of impeachment is for a poor/weird/loony President Trump to de disowned by the Republican Party? Not sure if there is a process to expel Trump, but it might be slightly less damaging than a full Red-on-Red impeachment.
    Yes, there is such a process. As somebody refers to below, it's set out in the 25th Amendment, Section 4. The Cabinet can declare the President "disabled", replacing him with the VP. Apparently, at the end of Reagan's second term, James Baker and other senior officers briefly discussed invoking it, but it has never actually been invoked. Some also feel it should have been when Reagan was shot in 1981. It was only ratified in 1967. I would have included it in the thread header, but it was already too long, and it's not included in the terms of the bet, so I didn't.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Yup. If he pisses everyone in his own party off in the Senate, and alienates Ryan again too, then I could see a good chunk of the Republicans teaming up with the Democrats to remove him.

But it would have to be for something significant that passed the sniff test, with broader nationwide unpopularity, so I'd still be looking for something aroundabouts 20/1.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

The 25th Amendment, S4, referenced by Mr @SouthamObserver below is pretty much that, whereby the President is declared incapable of holding office - because of who he is, rather than what he's done ,as would be the case with impeachment.

It's intended use is if the President was incapacitated, but it was discussed with Reagan to invoke S4 on the grounds of him being unable to fulfil the duties required of the job. It's also much easier than impeachment and can be done very quickly if required. It's not impossible, if the Republican leadership around him think he's completely nuts.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Of course, the big disadvantage of invoking Section 4 of the 25th Amendment is that it would have to be done by the Cabinet, who would be appointed by Trump and who would be complicit in his actions, at least to some extent. The Cabinet in the US is generally a lot less cohesive and much less of a formal instrument of government than in the UK. However, the President still relies on his Secretaries to a large extent.

So declaring the President mad for his actions in government could be seen as punishment of the gulity by the guilty, unless the President peformed a completely mad action by himself.

Another big disadvantage is that the process has to declare the President "disabled", and if he is obviously NOT disabled, just lacking in judgement, it would of course get tied up in the Supreme Court. I'm no lawyer, but it would strike me that it would have a good chance of winning.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Jonathan said:

Yes, there is such a process. As somebody refers to below, it's set out in the 25th Amendment, Section 4. The Cabinet can declare the President "disabled", replacing him with the VP. Apparently, at the end of Reagan's second term, senior officers briefly discussed invoking it, but it has never actually been invoked. It was only ratified in 1967. I would have included it in the thread header, but it was already too long, and it's not included in the terms of the bet, so I didn't.
    It's not in the terms of the bet, but the 25th informs the odds you'd want on that bet. As nothing seems to be conventional about Trump, expect the more arcane bits of the Constitution to be looked at afresh! I'd be wanting longer odds to be tempted by impeachment. I think the lone nutter with a gun scenario must be terrifying the Secret Service like never before, and given the level of hate Trump generates, and the number of sniper rifles in America, it's not an unlikely way his presidency ends either.

Excellent thread by the way.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Of course, the big disadvantage of invoking Section 4 of the 25th Amendment is that it would have to be done by the Cabinet, who would be appointed by Trump and who would be complicit in his actions, at least to some extent. The Cabinet in the US is generally a lot less cohesive and much less of a formal instrument of government than in the UK. However, the President still relies on his Secretaries to a large extent.

So declaring the President mad for his actions in government could be seen as punishment of the gulity by the guilty, unless the President peformed a completely mad action by himself.

There's also the risk of the Cabinet going down that route but being unsuccessful in forcing the President out - in which case they'll all be getting fired!
  • Options
    Of course, The West Wing gave us President Bartlet using the 25th when his daughter Zoe was kidnapped. There were two letters, one when he stood down temporarily, the other when he wanted to resume the Presidency. If he gets bored with the whole thing, Trump might just never get round to signing the second letter....
  • Options
    Clinton's lead in the popular vote is stlll growing rapidly and has now reached 1.0% and 1.339 million. Lots of votes to come - e.g. Californian turnout rising but still only 85% of that in 2012.

Trump isn't going to be impeached. But the fact that he lost the popular vote by what is clearly going to be a substantial margin is going to be repeatedly thrown at him as well as giving a lot more prominence to the movement in states to overturn the Electoral College in future (by passing state laws requiring delegates to vote for the winner of the popular vote if the total of electoral college votes in states requiring this exceeds 270). As such that I think it has the potential to do serious damage to Trump's legitimacy as President especially if and when things start to go off the rails, causing serious damage to his prospects in 2020.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Fishing said:

Jonathan said:

Yes, there is such a process. As somebody refers to below, it's set out in the 25th Amendment, Section 4. The Cabinet can declare the President "disabled", replacing him with the VP. Apparently, at the end of Reagan's second term, senior officers briefly discussed invoking it, but it has never actually been invoked. It was only ratified in 1967. I would have included it in the thread header, but it was already too long, and it's not included in the terms of the bet, so I didn't.
    It's not in the terms of the bet, but the 25th informs the odds you'd want on that bet. As nothing seems to be conventional about Trump, expect the more arcane bits of the Constitution to be looked at afresh! I'd be wanting longer odds to be tempted by impeachment. I think the lone nutter with a gun scenario must be terrifying the Secret Service like never before, and given the level of hate Trump generates, and the number of sniper rifles in America, it's not an unlikely way his presidency ends either.

I imagine the Secret Service are going to have a busy time, as they would also have done if this hugely polarising election had gone the other way.

One example from the other day, this guy was CEO of an IT security company!
    http://mashable.com/2016/11/15/ceo-fired-trump-facebook-threat/#ZyB9SABoGEqx
    "I'm going to kill the president. Elect. Bring it Secret Service." :o

He'll be getting a visit from the SS every time the President visits San Diageo - for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

Clinton's lead in the popular vote is stlll growing rapidly and has now reached 1.0% and 1.339 million. Lots of votes to come - e.g. Californian turnout rising but still only 85% of that in 2012.

Trump isn't going to be impeached. But the fact that he lost the popular vote by what is clearly going to be a substantial margin is going to be repeatedly thrown at him as well as giving a lot more prominence to the movement in states to overturn the Electoral College in future (by passing state laws requiring delegates to vote for the winner of the popular vote if the total of electoral college votes in states requiring this exceeds 270). As such that I think it has the potential to do serious damage to Trump's legitimacy as President especially if and when things start to go off the rails, causing serious damage to his prospects in 2020.

I severely doubt the electoral college will be changed to popular vote.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Interesting thread, Mr. Fishing. I'm always a bit wary of long-term bets, because the money's locked away for a long time and the value gets partially devoured by inflation too.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    edited November 2016
    FPT. @FF43:

Michel Barnier's negotiating approach for the EU appears to favour not settling anything at all that's permanent as part of the Article 50 talks. We'll haggle over a transition agreement.Whereas the UK government wants to get an all encompassing settlement in place.

If the agreement is term limited with guillotine clauses it could depress confidence in investments the UK. eg banks can continue to trade on the current basis, for a fee, until 2025. After that it will depend on what's negotiated in treaty talks. When it comes to investment decisions, companies could think Britain is just not worth the uncertainty, we'll go to France or the Netherlands instead
    MTimT said:

And we would agree to Barnier's approach why?

A possible reason for accepting Barnier's approach would be that the transition agreement is good enough from our point of view not to walk away from it and end up with the so-called WTO default,*. It may also be that the EU side is constitutionally and practically constrained from agreeing to British proposals in the timeframe, even if they wanted to. And it holds out the prospect of a better permanent deal layer.

* Which would also have to be negotiated with the EU and others. Negotiations that would be complicated by not having a prior agreement with the EU

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    I think a lot people who have no time for Trump as a person will say, thorough gritted teeth, he was elected by the American people as their president so he must be allowed to see out his term.
  • Options
    If you missed it - Justin Webb gets his arse handed to him by Breitbart guy on Today.

Wind back to about 07:07.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Pulpstar said:

I severely doubt the electoral college will be changed to popular vote.
    Its not easy to change the Constitution. There's been a movement in some States to have the delegates assigned in proportion to the vote, but needs either all or a political balance of states to do it

Several options here - including AV!
    http://archive.fairvote.org/e_college/reform.htm#proportional
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    PlatoSaid said:

If you missed it - Justin Webb gets his arse handed to him by Breitbart guy on Today.

Breitbart guy did ok, till he lost it. He clearly didn't like being asked questions. Bless.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Another big disadvantage is that the process has to declare the President "disabled", and if he is obviously NOT disabled, just lacking in judgement, it would of course get tied up in the Supreme Court. I'm no lawyer, but it would strike me that it would have a good chance of winning.

Trump's tactic of saying completely ridiculous things as a tactic and then being a bit more reasonable must surely be well known by other world leaders. They are likely to discount much of what he says initially or say equally belligerent things back. Trump likes to be agreed with and it's the foreign situations that could get dangerous.
  • Options
    Thanks Fishing for a very informative article.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Sandpit said:

Fishing said:

Jonathan said:

I imagine the Secret Service are going to have a busy time, as they would also have done if this hugely polarising election had gone the other way.

He'll be getting a visit from the SS every time the President visits San Diageo - for the rest of his life.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he has trouble getting on a flight too. There's dozens of examples of stupidity like this. Even Joss Whedon made several dubious statements that implied Trump needed to be 'stopped' before the inauguration.

So many have lost their minds. TBH, I put much of the responsibility at the feet of the media. They've spent months demonising Trump - no wonder those who are overly susceptible to confirmation bias have a totally warped fear of him.

The interviews with many of the protestors demonstrate that they've nothing but the vaguest idea why they hate him. But they HATE HIM !!!! It's like Salem witch trials in 2016.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Fishing said:

Jonathan said:

The Secret Service don't seem to find it a laughing matter when people joke about assassinating the President.... Funny that.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

Good morning, everyone.

Interesting thread, Mr. Fishing. I'm always a bit wary of long-term bets, because the money's locked away for a long time and the value gets partially devoured by inflation too.

Not really too much of a problem for a 5-1 bet tbh.
  • Options

I'd impeach California for taking so bloody long to count their votes.

It's a joke.
  • Options

Thanks Fishing for a very informative article.

You're welcome - interesting to research and write, too. Much recalling of half-remembered American politics tutorials from university. I often find your threads very informative too, and almost always agree with the non-EU ones.

One thing I remember from university in the early 90s is that my American politics professor was convinced Clinton would be impeached. This was before the 94 mid-terms, long before anyone had ever heard of Paula Jones, Monica Lewinsky or stained dresses. I've always admired him for that call, just as I've always admired an American friend who tipped Apple as a great company to buy in 1997!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Fishing said:

Jonathan said:

The Secret Service don't seem to find it a laughing matter when people joke about assassinating the President.... Funny that.
    Well quite. Did he really think that posting a direct threat against the President-Elect on a public website would just be laughed off by those paid to keep him safe? This guy will now be on so many black lists his life is about to get very difficult.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

Fishing said:

Jonathan said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he has trouble getting on a flight too. There's dozens of examples of stupidity like this. Even Joss Whedon made several dubious statements that implied Trump needed to be 'stopped' before the inauguration.

So many have lost their minds. TBH, I put much of the responsibility at the feet of the media. They've spent months demonising Trump - no wonder those who are overly susceptible to confirmation bias have a totally warped fear of him.

The interviews with many of the protestors demonstrate that they've nothing but the vaguest idea why they hate him. But they HATE HIM !!!! It's like Salem witch trials in 2016.
    Yes, welcome to absolutely polarised politics, where there is no middle way and everything is either black or white.

There's a huge difference between saying you wish someone ill, and saying that you personally are going to go and kill them - this guy is in the crap big time.

I imagine that a President Clinton would have been just as difficult for the SS to protect - those who really hate her are also traditionally the ones who love their firearms!
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

Fishing said:

Jonathan said:

It's not in the terms of the bet, but the 25th informs the odds you'd want on that bet. As nothing seems to be conventional about Trump, expect the more arcane bits of the Constitution

Pretty much the only difference between saying this on Facebook and down the pub to your mates (which thousands will have done) is that there is a record of it, and lots of other people can see it.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The Trump Reich seems to be developing apace.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Well quite. Did he really think that posting a direct threat against the President-Elect on a public website would just be laughed off by those paid to keep him safe? This guy will now be on so many black lists his life is about to get very difficult.

I walk on eggshells just going through Immigration when flying to the US. Not a place for cracking jokes. Just keep a straight face and reply Yes, sir and No, ma'am. (Although once, when they pointed out a Pakistan visa in my passport, a well-placed "Ma'am, that is one CRAZY country!" seemed to be the response they wanted to hear and I was on my way....)
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Pretty much the only difference between saying this on Facebook and down the pub to your mates (which thousands will have done) is that there is a record of it, and lots of other people can see it.

It was amusing during the riots in 2011 that the people who faced the most serious charges were those trying to organize a riot via Facebook. As you say, there is irrefutable evidence of what you were doing.
  • Options

I walk on eggshells just going through Immigration when flying to the US. Not a place for cracking jokes. Just keep a straight face and reply Yes, sir and No, ma'am. (Although once, when they pointed out a Pakistan visa in my passport, a well-placed "Ma'am, that is one CRAZY country!" seemed to be the response they wanted to hear and I was on my way....)

Telling US Immigration that America is my favourite foreign country rarely seems to go down badly either.

Personally, I find them much more reasonable now than just after 9/11. Maybe it's because I'm older, but I think also the fact that they can check you out with ESTA before you get on the plane.

Anyway, after experiencing Israeli immigration, I'm never badmouthing Britain or America again.
  • Options
    Patrick Nonwhite
    Political Tweets: A Play in Three Acts. https://t.co/OsnPWDk6Kp
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    PlatoSaid said:

Yes, how dare the interviewer quote an article from Breitbart.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Jonathan said:

PlatoSaid said:

Breitbart guy did ok, till he lost it. He clearly didn't like being asked questions. Bless.
    Safe space in action.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    tlg86 said:

If he becomes even more unpopular than he is currently (1 million + behind in the popular vote now) then Republicans in the legislature are going to start to get nervous.

It must really nark Republican grandees that Trump was able to win where it mattered.
    How can you become Less Popular as the vote is counted? Surely every vote for you makes you more popular.

Trump 2016: 60,913,096 votes (nyt - still to call Michigan BTW)

That is 10 million MORE than George W Bush in 2000
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

Fishing said:

Jonathan said:

Not sure if there is a process to expel Trump, but it might be slightly less damaging than a full Red-on-Red impeachment.

"They've spent months demonising Trump", wasn't that mostly just reporting what he said and did?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

JFK was the most scary airport I've been through for border guards - they all looked like they chewed wasps for breakfast, lunch and tea. Only funeral face was appropriate.

A guy who worked for me back in the late 80s made a stupid joke whilst waiting in line at Miami - he got pulled out, quizzed for hours in a box room, strip searched and deported the same day. He was only there for a day between transfers. He couldn't get a visa to go back. No messing about.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited November 2016
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Coming off a flight from Tokyo the tired immigration guy at SF spoke to me in Japanese. I think he noticed halfway through the conversation that I wasn't Japanese (I think the British passport and the fact that I'm white gave it away) but it seemed rude to bring it up so we both just kind-of rolled with it.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

It was amusing during the riots in 2011 that the people who faced the most serious charges were those trying to organize a riot via Facebook. As you say, there is irrefutable evidence of what you were doing.
    Yes, people don't understand that writing stuff online after a few beers can have much more of an effect than saying the same thing with a few mates in the pub. IIRC some people got several years for Facebook posts in 2011, the evidence being that they were the 'ringleaders' of the violence.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

JFK was the most scary airport I've been through for border guards - they all looked like they chewed wasps for breakfast, lunch and tea. Only funeral face was appropriate.

A guy who worked for me back in the late 80s made a stupid joke whilst waiting in line at Miami - he got pulled out, quizzed for hours in a box room, strip searched and deported the same day. He was only there for a day between transfers. He couldn't get a visa to go back. No messing about.
    I don't understand why they have to be rude and aggressive whilst doing their jobs.

I once got 'caught' trying to smuggle an apple into Canada (I'd forgotten to eat it on the flight) and had to strain every sinew not to respond with incredulity and sarcasm to the customs officer.
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938
    When people say that this election has been more polarising than any other in recent memory, I wonder if that's simply because for the first time in a long time there was actually a valid difference between the candidates.

Look at what happened here for years, fewer and fewer people voted, all the same they said, won't make any difference to my life.

Last time round, there was a solid difference - Cameron was going to have to give the people a referendum on the EU. Suddenly it's not just management, it's a real chance for a vote to change something.

The USA in that respect is probably no different. For years, the choice has been one of only cosmetic importance.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

tlg86 said:

How can you become Less Popular as the vote is counted? Surely every vote for you makes you more popular.

the population has grown since then
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Jonathan said:

PlatoSaid said:

Safe space in action.
    He had snowflake written all over him, even resorting to the 'libel' word.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

I don't understand why they have to be rude and aggressive whilst doing their jobs.

I once got 'caught' trying to smuggle an apple into Canada (I'd forgotten to eat it on the flight) and had to strain every sinew not to respond with incredulity and sarcasm to the customs officer.
    Australian customs are the worst for this, they go completely bonkers at anything organic that people try and bring in. Which is somewhat ironic, given the millions of horrible creatures found there - I thought my host was joking when he said to check shoes for scorpions before putting them on!
  • Options
    The problem with the terms of this bet is that there is just too much to prevent it winning. A successful impeachment requires not just such overwhelming evidence as to get two thirds of the Senate to vote, but for instance not enough overwheming evidence that the President resigns first like Nixon.

Out of 44 Presidents so far a grand total of 0 have been successfully impeached. I'd want odds of at least 45/1 to be tempted.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

I got taken through security going INTO Iceland once .......no, before the clever whatnots, at Keflavik. I'd just got OFF a plane from Toronto where we'd gone through security to get on to the damn plane.
  • Options
    Wrote a blog on colour psychology and advertising. Also, a snippet at the end explains why being a red shirt isn't always a bad thing:
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/colour-psychology-and-anatomy-of-advert.html
  • Options

Wrote a blog on colour psychology and advertising. Also, a snippet at the end explains why being a red shirt isn't always a bad thing:
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/colour-psychology-and-anatomy-of-advert.html

Can be a serious issue in Thailand!
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Song,

""They've spent months demonising Trump", wasn't that mostly just reporting what he said and did?"

No doubt.

Actions seems to be irrelevant nowadays. Trump says he's going to build an impossible wall (just think of the construction costs, and unless you shoot those trying to get in cf Berlin, it won't be effective), stop all Muslim immigration (until you've sorted out the problem) - not going to happen, etc. And all dependent on him being elected. It's rhetoric, and similar to what some people would say in a bar. And as likely to happen.

It's all a bit Monty-Pythonish. Like the Piranha brothers .. "He used sarcasm. He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes. "

Suggesting you're going to shoot the president deserves censure, but I doubt very much if they're serious. There's plenty in the UK who do that. I suspect they won't be threatened with extradition.

• Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    ok, so everyone says the pollsters got it completely wrong on Trump. But how are they doing if compared not to the Electoral College but to the popular vote?
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Interesting article, thanks. What he says sounds logical. But were leavers harder to contact to poll?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    The UK consumer looks absolutely insatiable.
  • Options
    MrsB said:

ok, so everyone says the pollsters got it completely wrong on Trump. But how are they doing if compared not to the Electoral College but to the popular vote?

Not bad, a couple of percent out. The state polls overall were a bit mixed, but seriously out in the rust-belt swing states where it counted, especially MI and WI.

Also in their defence, it looks like they swung hard in the last week.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Song,

""They've spent months demonising Trump", wasn't that mostly just reporting what he said and did?"

No doubt.

Actions seems to be irrelevant nowadays. Trump says he's going to build an impossible wall (just think of the construction costs, and unless you shoot those trying to get in cf Berlin, it won't be effective), stop all Muslim immigration (until you've sorted out the problem) - not going to happen, etc. And all dependent on him being elected. It's rhetoric, and similar to what some people would say in a bar. And as likely to happen.

It's all a bit Monty-Pythonish. Like the Piranha brothers .. "He used sarcasm. He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes. "

Suggesting you're going to shoot the president deserves censure, but I doubt very much if they're serious. There's plenty in the UK who do that. I suspect they won't be threatened with extradition.

The Trump wait & see/it's all rhetoric brigade seem to be basing their equanamity on Trump being a liar (unremarkable though dispiriting in an elected pol) and specifically that his more revolting statements were lies. This seems uncharacteristically optimistic, though it's entertaining seeing righties being the naive Pollyannas for once. In a mood of collegiate solidarity, I can only think that at least this will be good for their shrivelled souls.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    MaxPB said:

Have we had more good news (and another let-down for REMAIN)?
  • Options

weejonnie said:

tlg86 said:

the population has grown since then
    If you remove Clinton's lead in New York and California then Trump is 3.5M voters ahead.
  • Options
    My wife got stopped by a sniffer dog at Hobart airport. It seemed her bag had contained an apple a day or two before. We got away with it.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    GIN1138 said:

MaxPB said:

Retail sales up 7.4% YoY and 1.9% MoM. My feeling is that tourism is driving the better than expected increase given that it doesn't look like there has been much change in the savings rate, at least not enough to drive such huge YoY growth.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Morning all.

Despite being the most pacific and sweet looking person I always get stopped by security at airports - setting off alarms everywhere, despite taking everything off which could possibly trigger them. It is becoming quite tiresome having to strip off every time. It's getting to the stage where I'm just going to go to the airport in my nightie, bring my clothes and get dressed after I've had security clearance.
  • Options
    Mr Divvie,

Not exactly lies. More ... "If I were President, I'd soon sort out those (insert appropriate villain here)." But exact details can wait for another time.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

MaxPB said:

Retail sales up 7.4% YoY and 1.9% MoM. My feeling is that tourism is driving the better than expected increase given that it doesn't look like there has been much change in the savings rate, at least not enough to drive such huge YoY growth.
    Terrrrrible news for the Tories, right? ;)
  • Options
    CD13 said:

My wife got stopped by a sniffer dog at Hobart airport. It seemed her bag had contained an apple a day or two before. We got away with it.

Years ago just after Reagan bombed Libya, I had to go to Madrid. I arrived late at the airport and was trying to rush through security so as not to miss the plane. It did not help matters when security found a plastic toy gun which one of the children had helpfully hidden in my briefcase. Fortunately, the guard had a sense of humour. Security in Madrid didn't even bat an eyelid on the way back.

Autres temps.....
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

MaxPB said:

That's nice, All numbers looking excellent this week. :)
  • Options

The problem with the terms of this bet is that there is just too much to prevent it winning. A successful impeachment requires not just such overwhelming evidence as to get two thirds of the Senate to vote, but for instance not enough overwheming evidence that the President resigns first like Nixon.

Out of 44 Presidents so far a grand total of 0 have been successfully impeached. I'd want odds of at least 45/1 to be tempted.

I agree about the process. It's a very good article from Fishing (welcome to the club, by the way - a clear and unbiased assessment of the betting and the politics). The only big thing that might affect the bet he missed, to my mind, is the one that PT picked up on: that were Trump faced with enough evidence that the Senate might convict - as Nixon probably was - he'd follow Nixon's route and resign, which would then render the bet a loser. (There is also the actuarial angle: Trump is 70, after all).

That said, Trump is not Nixon in character or in politics. He is not of his party and it might more easily desert someone its establishment never wanted in the first place than someone like Cruz, Rubio or Kasich, had they entered the White House. Similarly, Nixon resigned because he knew the way the wind was blowing. Trump has triumphed against the odds, against the opinions of commentators and so-called experts, and might well feel confident that he would do so again, were he faced with impeachment proceedings.

I reckon that 20/1 would probably be par for the bet.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,432
    edited November 2016
    Cyclefree said:

Morning all.

Despite being the most pacific and sweet looking person I always get stopped by security at airports - setting off alarms everywhere, despite taking everything off which could possibly trigger them. It is becoming quite tiresome having to strip off every time. It's getting to the stage where I'm just going to go to the airport in my nightie, bring my clothes and get dressed after I've had security clearance.

One of the reasons I don't fly economy is whenever I go business/upper class is I very rarely get stopped.

I reckon they think most terrorists won't fly luxury.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Cyclefree said:

Morning all.

Oh dear. I find the level of attention paid to me depends on whether I've shaved or not. Apparently I look like a gent when clean shaven, and some sort of smuggler when stubbled...

Best story I ever heard was a pal's Pa who received a stern talking too after having tried to get 6 shot cartridges through security that were in his favourite Barbour.
  • Options
    On topic, what an excellent contribution from Fishing.
  • Options
    In the UK - a political party could win power by securing 1 million votes - or fail to win power and securing 20 million votes. These are admittedly (nearly) extremes and the most likely scenarios are those where the party wins the popular vote and the election - but this is not guaranteed.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Morning all.

My 'favourite' experience was having to unpack everything, including unwrapping the Christmas presents my wife had carefully wrapped for my mother, at Southampton Airport before flying to Alderney.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Morning all.

One of the reasons I don't fly economy is whenever I go business/upper class is I very rarely get stopped.

I reckon they think most terrorists won't fly luxury.
    The last time I flew first class (to NY) they were playing the song from Titanic in the lounge while we were waiting. It didn't seem the most fitting choice before a transatlantic voyage........
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

On topic, what an excellent contribution from Fishing.

Agreed. Very well argued.
This discussion has been closed.