Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Three CON defences and a GREEN one – tonight’s local council b

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited November 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Three CON defences and a GREEN one – tonight’s local council by-elections

Abbey (Green defence) on Bath and North East Somerset Result of council at last election (2015): Conservatives 37, Liberal Democrats 15, Labour 6, Independents 5, Green Party 2 (Conservative majority of 9) Result of ward at last election (2015): Emboldened denotes elected Conservatives 1,158, 985 (30%) Green Party 1,071 (28%) Liberal Democrats 798, 741 (21%) Labour 639 (17%) Independent 148 (4%) EU Referendum Result: REMAIN 60,878 (58%), LEAVE 44,352 (42%) on a turnout of 77% Candidates duly nominated: Gerry Curran (Lib Dem), Vicky Drew (Lab), Lizzie Gladwyn (Con), Marc Hooper (UKIP), Jenny Knight (Ind), Vipul Patel (Green)

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited November 2016
    Who will be the voice of the Misterons?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Another terrrriiiibbblllleeeee night for the Conservatives? :p
  • Options
    FPT:

@RobD I know, that's the change in views I'm talking about. A couple of years ago he was really right wing, and back then may well have supported Trump.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    things that don't matter part 953, "the Clinton machine".
  • Options

FPT:

@RobD I know, that's the change in views I'm talking about. A couple of years ago he was really right wing, and back then may well have supported Trump.

He probably is still really right wing.
  • Options
    RobD said:

FPT:

Hmmm okay. Just seems that he's become a bit more moderate.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    nunu said:

It definitely mattered for primary and the internal party turf war that it caused, it just didn't matter for the general.
  • Options

RobD said:

FPT:

Hmmm okay. Just seems that he's become a bit more moderate.
    Or maybe because of Trump he seems more reasonable.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

nunu said:

It definitely mattered for primary and the internal party turf war that it caused, it just didn't matter for the general.
    Maybe it did matter. Maybe it could have been worse.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    Apart from Harborough, all tonight's elections take place in places with knife edge results last time, which will be interesting.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    Who wouldn't want to be the member for Misteron! Libs to take the BNES one, Welwyn is the interesting one though.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 898
    And when I stood in Misterton I was a good second for the Lib Dems!!
  • Options
    It is Misterton By the way not Misterton. Next to Lutterworth.
  • Options
    Should say Misterton not Misteron - in Spain with dodgy iPhone!!
  • Options
    Icarus said:

Should say Misterton not Misteron - in Spain with dodgy iPhone!!

Keep the error. In this Trumpian post-truth, fake-news world who cares?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,381
    MaxPB said:
    Given automation and productivity, the difference between building a factory onshore in the US vs offshore is not that vast..

The American political system rewards building physical facilities - http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/8/10937076/tesla-gigafactory-battery-factory-nevada-tax-deal-elon-musk
  • Options
    Cheers for the thread Harry
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Thanks Harry and also to Pulpster for last thread which I really enjoyed.

• Options

Cheers for the thread Harry

Seconded!
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    nunu said:

bit like the Labour ground game.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    This is going to make Plato so sad. The whole paid anti-Trump protesters thing thing she pushed so hard was based on a parody news article

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2016/11/17/facebook-fake-news-writer-i-think-donald-trump-is-in-the-white-house-because-of-me/?tid=sm_tw
  • Options
    New poll (first since Trump / this month), Juppé would beat Le Pen by 5 points or 4 points in the first round, unchanged.

Fillon surges to 22% but still trails Sarkozy 29% and Juppé 36%. Overtaking Sarkozy is the bigger challenge. The last debate is tomorrow.

Le Pen remains far too strong, I would say the LR primary too complicated to call.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    MaxPB said:
    Assembled in the US, of course, as the A9, the flash, the screen, and all the other components will be fabricated in Asia.
  • Options
    On the subject of phones, I'm very excited to receive my Mi Mix in the coming days...
  • Options

New poll (first since Trump / this month), Juppé would beat Le Pen by 5 points or 4 points in the first round, unchanged.

Fillon surges to 22% but still trails Sarkozy 29% and Juppé 36%. Overtaking Sarkozy is the bigger challenge. The last debate is tomorrow.

Le Pen remains far too strong, I would say the LR primary too complicated to call.

I think Sarkozy just edges Juppe in the first round, 35 to 33, but loses the second 60:40.
  • Options
    Someone has been busy with photoshop....
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Icarus said:

And when I stood in Misterton I was a good second for the Lib Dems!!

I remember that and your comment at the time that your wife threatened you with divorce if you won .
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    I have just spent 24 hours in Richmond Park. Some observations:
    in many parts of the constituency you would not know there was a by election taking place
    but there are exceptions - Petersham Rd has a fine array of posters
    in terms of stakeboards the Lib Dems are leading Zac by 10 to 1 but window posters are more even
    Labour has opened an office about 50 yards from the Lib Dem HQ - it has 4 desks visible with computers but only two people in attendance
    Zac is holding meetings in pubs - this morning in the Coach and Horses in Kew with about 30 mostly elderly people in attendance
    I drove past a blue plaque in honour of Richard Dimbleby
    Sarah Olney had a photo op at the London Wetlands Centre
    No idea who is going to win.
  • Options
    ''This'll go down well. ''

Its enough to make you go,
    Fully WTO....
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited November 2016

There's also two others, one I posted earlier;

http://elabe.fr/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/16112016_bfmtv_lopinion_les-intentions-de-vote-a-la-primaire-de-la-droite-et-du-centre.pdf

and a new one from Ifop;

http://www.ifop.fr/media/poll/3560-1-study_file.pdf

It has Juppe 31, Sarko 30, Fillon 27...

But the real big question is that this is an open primary, which is new, and the polling is predicated on Left and Centrist voters also turning out for this innovation. But looking at the breakdown by party affiliation Sarko could still win the runoff with either of the other candidates if mostly just Republicans and FN turn up to vote.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I think Sarkozy just edges Juppe in the first round, 35 to 33, but loses the second 60:40.
    Would be consistent with more right / less left wing turnout on Sunday
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited November 2016
    The Swedes meanwhile:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-sweden-finmin-interview-idUKKBN13C276?il=0

Britain is Sweden's fourth biggest trading partner and Andersson said that the Nordic country wanted to have "as soft a Brexit as possible".

"From our point of view, the softer Brexit is, the better. But at the same time there cannot be any 'cherry picking'," she said.

With negotiations yet to start Andersson said it was tough to say what Britain's eventual exit from the European Union would look like. It is still unknown whether Britain will be able to maintain anything like the free trading position it currently enjoys with the bloc.

"A soft or hard Brexit sounds very black or white," she said. "But there is a big grey area in between and it is clear that's where we will end up."
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    rcs1000 said:

On the subject of phones, I'm very excited to receive my Mi Mix in the coming days...

Do you have a huge gadget museum at home or do you eventually give them away or sell them?
  • Options
    I think 'bitchy' is the preferred snowflake term..
  • Options

http://elabe.fr/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/16112016_bfmtv_lopinion_les-intentions-de-vote-a-la-primaire-de-la-droite-et-du-centre.pdf

and a new one from Ifop;

But the real big question is that this is an open primary, which is new, and the polling is predicated on Left and Centrist voters also turning out for this innovation. But looking at the breakdown by partu affiliation Sarko could still win the runoff with either of the other candidates if mostly just Republicans and FN turn up to vote.
    Having gone long on Juppé, very very out on Le Pen, and pretty poor on Fillon & Sarko I am nervous, I'll admit. Going to keep a close eye on Sunday, although I don't know the timetable.
  • Options

I think 'bitchy' is the preferred snowflake term..
    Used by one person, and I think we all agreed it was very wrong to describe that racist slur as 'bitchy'.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
  • Options
    "A soft or hard Brexit sounds very black or white," she said. "But there is a big grey area in between and it is clear that's where we will end up."

After all these comments I am actually starting to feel sorry for Theresa May...
  • Options
    slade said:

in many parts of the constituency you would not know there was a by election taking place
    in terms of stakeboards the Lib Dems are leading Zac by 10 to 1 but window posters are more even
    Labour has opened an office about 50 yards from the Lib Dem HQ - it has 4 desks visible with computers but only two people in attendance
    Zac is holding meetings in pubs - this morning in the Coach and Horses in Kew with about 30 mostly elderly people in attendance

One of my colleagues is a labour member and has been helping the LibDems in Richmond. They reckon it'll be Zac by 2,000 votes
  • Options
    RobD said:
    Hard to enforce given that if we don't like the terms we just drop out after two years...
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Vermont certifies its results: Clinton 178,573 (56.7%), Trump 95,369 (30.3%), Sanders (W/I) 18,183 (5.7%) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/133Eb4qQmOxNvtesw2hdVns073R68EZx4SfCnP4IGQf8/edit#gid=19

Retweets
    Scott_P said:
    Ridiculing? Let's see what he actually said:

Boris Johnson fired up a large crowd in Hyde Park, saying: "There's a guy called Mitt Romney who wants to know whether we're ready. Are we ready?"
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:
    Hard to enforce given that if we don't like the terms we just drop out after two years...
    They are probably just annoyed that they'll be contributing even more after we leave ;)
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Scott_P said:
    So everyone is considered as Secretary of State, they just pass for an audition from Trump Tower like in a reality show.
    Trump has made his transition team look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o11T8_eALKE
  • Options
    taffys said:

After all these comments I am actually starting to feel sorry for Theresa May...

We'll end up with some restriction on freedom of trade along with some restriction on freedom of movement. We will retain some free trade and some free movement.

The bottom line expectation on trade has been lifted from WTO to Canada in my view, while Merkel's comments the other day about workers needing to independently fund their families hints at re-writing the meaning of FoM so that there is less movement.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Breaking: Mitt Romney in discussions to be US Secretary of State.

The fact that Trump is even considering Mitt Romney tells you something about how much of his act is just theatrics.
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:
    Dropping out doesn't wipe out the reste a liquider.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Boris Johnson fired up a large crowd in Hyde Park, saying: "There's a guy called Mitt Romney who wants to know whether we're ready. Are we ready?"
    I think you have to be a bit thick skinned to be a losing presidential candidate then secretary of state!

Like Clinton in reverse
  • Options
    edited November 2016

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

twitter.com/samcoatestimes/status/799351049932992512

I think you have to be a bit thick skinned to be a losing presidential candidate then secretary of state!

Like Clinton in reverse
    If he does become Secretary of State, I suspect they will mend their fences. Romney was clearly proven wrong on this matter anyway.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Wow, Cathy Newman was awful on C4 news tonight. Breitbart journos are wiping the floor with the British traditional media today....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I thought the OnePlus 3 was the best thing since sliced bread?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Like Clinton in reverse
    If he does become Secretary of State, I suspect they will mend their fences. Romney was clearly proven wrong on this matter anyway.
    I can't imagine Romney as a diplomat to be honest. Trump needs to find a latter-day Kissinger from somewhere.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2016
    The Donald draining the swamp by hiring erhhhh head of RNC, Mitt Romney...

Anynody think we have been played like a reality TV show...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:
    It will be intriguing to see how the EU27 react to the extra bills they will be facing in the absence of the UK's contribution to it's social fund, employee pensions etc etc.

As a net contributor, our absence either means they get a bigger bill, or the EU does less.
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:
    They are probably just annoyed that they'll be contributing even more after we leave ;)
    I suspect they won't; I expect we'll get almost exactly what we want (no ECJ in domestic law, passporting, limits on migration) except it will come with a stonking great bill. (Which will be partly paid for by a special Global Financial Institutions Levy.)
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Like Clinton in reverse
    I hate this constant insulation that everyone is politics must be completely offended because they are the butt of some joke. Even though they frequent laugh. Osborne wore a reflective jacket, Obama played the lion king, etc.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Like Clinton in reverse
    And Romney got the Lewes Bonfire treatment:

http://tinyurl.com/gsmjx7v
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:
    I suspect they won't; I expect we'll get almost exactly what we want (no ECJ in domestic law, passporting, limits on migration) except it will come with a stonking great bill. (Which will be partly paid for by a special Global Financial Institutions Levy.)
    As a deal, it would work for the UK.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    No risk of war, that was just a Remain Project Fear scam.

Apparently.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:
    If it's less than our current contributions, probably a net gain!
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

rcs1000 said:

Do you have a huge gadget museum at home or do you eventually give them away or sell them?
    Britain's national mobile phone charger collection. Set next to the ZX81 wobbly RAM pack display....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

slade said:

One of my colleagues is a labour member and has been helping the LibDems in Richmond. They reckon it'll be Zac by 2,000 votes
    Given the usual state of LD expectation management, probably Zac by 5-6k then... :)
  • Options
    As boris insults go that has to be the least offensive....
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

You don't think Scott read or considered it do you? No different to Plato and spam posting on speed.
  • Options

and a new one from Ifop;

But the real big question is that this is an open primary, which is new, and the polling is predicated on Left and Centrist voters also turning out for this innovation. But looking at the breakdown by partu affiliation Sarko could still win the runoff with either of the other candidates if mostly just Republicans and FN turn up to vote.
    Having gone long on Juppé, very very out on Le Pen, and pretty poor on Fillon & Sarko I am nervous, I'll admit. Going to keep a close eye on Sunday, although I don't know the timetable.
    Personally I see a it quite possible, even likely, Sarkozy will win on Sunday. The question for me is whether that motivates or disuades his opponents, especially as it will be a bit of a surpise after Juppe leading for so long.
  • Options

The Donald draining the swamp by hiring erhhhh head of RNC, Mitt Romney...

Anynody think we have been played like a reality TV show...

According to "source" Romney, Halley, Bolton, Giuliani, Corker, and a GOP congressman who's name begins with H are all considered to be Secretary of State.

My bet is the next rumour from "source" will be Jeb.
  • Options
    A nice image of Merkel and Obama.

• Options
    matt said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

You don't think Scott read or considered it do you? No different to Plato and spam posting on speed.
    I think that better describes 619. ;) To be fair to Scott, most of the tweets he links are actually interesting/relevant.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:
    Sounds ideal.

Forgive my ingnorance, but would the UK Govt be able to levy a global tax?
  • Options

and a new one from Ifop;

Personally I see a it quite possible, even likely, Sarkozy will win on Sunday. The question for me is whether that motivates or disuades his opponents, especially as it will be a bit of a surpise after Juppe leading for so long.
    The problem Sarkozy has is that this if a two round election (assuming he doesn't break 50%), and almost all Fillon's vote goes to Juppe in the second round, and vice versa.
  • Options
    RobD said:

matt said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

I think that better describes 619. ;) To be fair to Scott, most of the tweets he links are actually interesting/relevant.
    Yes, partially unfair. You're making me feel guilty.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

slade said:

Given the usual state of LD expectation management, probably Zac by 5-6k then... :)
    Said person is a very pro-EU labour-ite. I have no idea if their call is accurate.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:
    Sounds ideal.

Levy or enforce?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I thought the OnePlus 3 was the best thing since sliced bread?
    But only the best thing until the Mi Mix
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

slade said:

Said person is a very pro-EU labour-ite. I have no idea if their call is accurate.
    It's important though that he has conceded.
  • Options
    matt said:

RobD said:

matt said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, partially unfair. You're making me feel guilty.
    Your ire should be focussed on Sam Coates, who clearly exaggerated in his tweet!
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:
    If it's less than our current contributions, probably a net gain!
    I'd bet on it being less than our gross, but more than our net, which means everyone gets to claim a victory.
  • Options

I wonder what they will tell Paddy McGuiness about their experience?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Obama: So my job's being taken over by a man with the brains of a sausage.

Merkel: I know, it's just the wurst.

• Options

Obama: So my job's being taken over by a man with the brains of a sausage.

Merkel: I know, it's just the wurst.

OK, I did laugh out loud a little when I read this.

I should be ashamed.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:
    Sounds ideal.

It would be levied on firms in London. The name was my own invention.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

slade said:

Sounds like a good fit to judge likely results in RP. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Speedy said:

rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

slade said:

It's important though that he has conceded.
    Like Trump and Farage :)

Seriously, said person is nowhere near any position of power in the campaign. Delivering leaflets and knocking on a few doors is about as close as they get.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

and a new one from Ifop;

The problem Sarkozy has is that this if a two round election (assuming he doesn't break 50%), and almost all Fillon's vote goes to Juppe in the second round, and vice versa.
    Will they? Look at the partisan breakdown in those polls. Yes Centrist Fillon voters may break heavily for Juppe, but I doubt Juppe will get all the Republican and FN Fillon vote.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I think the Harborough Lib Dems may need some help from Captain Scarlett to deal with the Misterons. Should get a positive swing thoug, looking at last times result.

The local issue is windfarms, but Harborough Council is pretty unremarkeable otherwise. The villages here are well situated for commuting to either Leicester or further afield.

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,711
    MaxPB said:
    Motorola made a big play of producing phones in the US only for the whole company to be sold to the Chinese a couple of years later.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:
    Sounds ideal.

It would be levied on firms in London. The name was my own invention.
    Makes more sense. European Banking Levy might be a bit more politically appealling...
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    I can understand the EU trying to charge a bank for access to their market - but why do you think the tax payer will pay it for them?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

and a new one from Ifop;

Will they? Look at the partisan breakdown in those polls. Yes Centrist Fillon voters may break heavily for Juppe, but I doubt Juppe will get all the Republican and FN Fillon vote.
    There has been no shortage of polling on the second round. See the Wikipedia page on the primaries. They show Juppe jumping 20-25% between round one and two, and Sarkozy adding about 10%.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

and a new one from Ifop;

There has been no shortage of polling on the second round. See the Wikipedia page on the primaries. They show Juppe jumping 20-25% between round one and two, and Sarkozy adding about 10%.
    But that's because most of these polls assume a fair chunk of the vote will come from Centrists, this is why Juppe needs a good turnout. Not sure he'll get it based on the numbers saying they are likely to vote.
  • Options
    PAW said:

I can understand the EU trying to charge a bank for access to their market - but why do you think the tax payer will pay it for them?

The point is that if we (the Uk) have to pay to stay in the single market for financial services, then it makes most sense for the beneficiaries of that to pick up at least some of the bill.
  • Options
    PAW said:

In effect that is what RCS1000 means, a fee paid by banks collected by the government.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

and a new one from Ifop;

But that's because most of these polls assume a fair chunk of the vote will come from Centrists, this is why Juppe needs a good turnout. Not sure he'll get it.
    I agree, and that's why I assume that Sarkozy will outperform and Juppe underperform in the first round. But unless Fillon's supporters stay at home in the second round, then Juppe (unless the polls are completely wrong, which is always possible) should pick up more than Sarkozy.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

PAW said:

The point is that if we (the Uk) have to pay to stay in the single market for financial services, then it makes most sense for the beneficiaries of that to pick up at least some of the bill.
    When I read sensible posts like this I first check I am on PB, then look forward to the RCS govt...
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:
    Sounds ideal.

It could be tried, but I don't know how many would pay it. I think Robert is probably referring to an extension of the existing bank levy.
This discussion has been closed.