Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The LD demand for a 2nd referendum could have the same potency

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited November 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The LD demand for a 2nd referendum could have the same potency as its 2003 stance of total opposition to the invasion of Iraq

We all remember how in late 2002 and 2003 that the IDS-led Tories gave their backing to Blair’s invasion of Iraq. The Charles Kennedy-led LDs were the only national party to oppose and this stance stance helped them to their best ever performance at GE2005.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    First like Leave!
  • Options
    2nd, like a lot of well known politicians this year.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    YouGov in front of Labour??????
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited November 2016
    'YouGov could edge in front of LAB if it was only party witch such a promise'

Umm..? [now corrected]

• Options
    The LDs have the wrong leader. With the right one they'd be a very serious force. Lucky Labour.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Also I see a witch has crept into political betting. Halloween was ages ago :grin:
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    A second referendum would just reinforce brexit. Foolish idea by the LD's
  • Options
    Imagine if this was the actual GE result. It would give the Tories a 1,000 seat majority or something. We live in a two party system where one of those two parties has gangrene from about the chest down.
  • Options
    Are we sure Labour being down on 19% in this poll isn't down to Jeremy Corbyn's name being mentioned in the voting intention question?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    The search for a way back for the most Europhile party continues.

I am one of those who votes Lib Dems in local elections who would drop them in a heartbeat if they tried to stop our exit.

Seems Lib Dems only a fan of democracy when the votes go their way.

Whatever happened to respecting the will of the people? (oh, just another broken promise to add to the tally).

No wonder they are such fans of the EU project.

• Options

The Lib Dems need something to differentiate themselves from the main two, this latest tilting at windmills may achieve that. Or maybe not.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

The Lib Dems need something to differentiate themselves from the main two, this latest tilting at windmills may achieve that. Or maybe not.
    They could become the party with zero MP's if they are not careful.
  • Options

The LDs have the wrong leader. With the right one they'd be a very serious force. Lucky Labour.

The Labour party with senior members who espouse armed revolution, that Labour party?

Our country is poorly served by it's political parties right now.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Lib Dems will need a more convincing leader than Tim Farron if this was to take off.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,931
    edited November 2016
    As I predicted on here a few weeks back, the ludicrous Labour leadership team has fallen out big time with Keir Starmer:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/18/brexit-row-keir-starmer-john-mcdonnell-threatens-labour-truce

Here's my article. Trump implosion!! Seems a long time ago.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/10/09/joff-wild-says-keep-an-eye-on-keir/
  • Options
    What would those headline figures look like as seats in a 600 seat Parliament - 350-360 Tories?
  • Options
    I'm being thick I think - I can't seem to find where to get a GE result 'Baxtered' from poll numbers on the Electoral Calculus pages - only region by region. Anyone familiar with this?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    I don't think the Lib Dems can take advantage of any such strategy with their parish council quality leader in charge. They'd need to dump him and win two or three by elections before 2020 to make this work. I'm not sure either is likely.

The other problem for this strategy is that it could end up like Dave's cast iron guarantee over Lisbon. The option to deliver a second referendum may not exist after 2020, even if the Lib Dems find themselves in a coalition government on the back of the pledge the whole process of leaving the EU is going to be done by then.

However, the main issue is that the Lib Dems are selling a false prospectus, a second referendum had the option of "yes to the government deal" or "WTO". I personally think we may need to have it anyway, but the Lib Dems are being very dishonest by pretending that any second referendum could have the government deal vs back into the EU. EU membership won't be on the ballot, which means any short term gain for the Lib Dems will be undone when people see how dishonest the policy is, and this just feeds into how little people trust the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    This question is quite leading. In reality people wouldn't be thinking as hard about a second referendum as they are when they're asked that question, and in any case a lot of them wouldn't be aware of the different parties' positions on it.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    Sandpit said:

What would those headline figures look like as seats in a 600 seat Parliament - 350-360 Tories?

I should think that all swing models would explode with such a scenario - LAB on 19 breaks into the core vote a long, long way. You'd need a massive national poll for this, with enough respondents in each constituency to make it 600 polls at once.
  • Options
    Off thread - French election

All comments this morning on the debate are mentioning the two polls showing Fillon as the most convincing.
    All this love for Fillon from media could begin to get annonying for people that started to support him as an outside compared to the big two (Juppe and Sarkozy). Everybody expects à very tight result on Sunday.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    No it won't.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    And in how many of those seats the LibDems lost in 2015 - and now having a Brexit majority - would the voters (including tactical votes from Brexit Labour) tell the LibDems to "Piss off...."?

Close to all.

• Options
    dr_spyn said:

Lib Dems will need a more convincing leader than Tim Farron if this was to take off.

This is a major issue.

But the other thing is what would be the result of such a stunt? The Lib Dems make a temporary improvement based on something that won't happen, the Tories win a landslide and Farron does the whole Canute thing. I don't really see the point. All you end up with is a wholly false recovery for the Lib Dems, ruin Labour and give the Tories ANOTHER ten years. How long does the opposition intend to give the Tories a free run for? Even as a Tory, I think we need opposition that means something at some point in the next decade.
  • Options
    Trump's lies are so blatant that it indicates he may actually believe them. That's got to be a concern!
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/11/17/trump-just-took-credit-for-stopping-ford-from-moving-a-plant-to-mexico-but-it-was-planning-to/
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    I thought we might be having a thread on "good night for the Tories in local elections".....?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

But the poll specifically mentioned him.
  • Options

Trump's lies are so blatant that it indicates he may actually believe them. That's got to be a concern!
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/11/17/trump-just-took-credit-for-stopping-ford-from-moving-a-plant-to-mexico-but-it-was-planning-to/

If you take Trump at his word, he is dangerous.
    If he was not serious. And considers himself unbound. He is dangerous.

Conclusion, batten down the hatches.
  • Options

They could become the party with zero MP's if they are not careful.
    Like UKIP (Counting Carswell as Independent).
  • Options

All comments this morning on the debate are mentioning the two polls showing Fillon as the most convincing.
    All this love for Fillon from media could begin to get annonying for people that started to support him as an outside compared to the big two (Juppe and Sarkozy). Everybody expects à very tight result on Sunday.

Debate tonight is significant. Fillon still has ground to make up, let's see if Juppe gets more fired up
  • Options
    Mr. Fletcher, might there not also be a concern that after the impact of the tuition fees nonsense is just starting to die down, Farron seems intent on pitching "Vote for me, I'll ignore the electorate's wishes" as his slogan?

Incidentally, Amazon doesn't allow review prior to release, but Goodreads does. Might be of interest to those unsure of getting Kingdom Asunder:
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32852394-kingdom-asunder
  • Options
    Patrick said:

I'm being thick I think - I can't seem to find where to get a GE result 'Baxtered' from poll numbers on the Electoral Calculus pages - only region by region. Anyone familiar with this?

No need. Tory landslide on these numbers.
  • Options
    The Euro trading at near the 52 week low against USD, down about 5% since Trump won. I do wonder whether the likes of Unilever and Mondelez feel stupid for the bad press they have received now that Sterling has pared it's losses against the Euro to about 7% which is easily managed by gradual price rises.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Politician takes credit for something that he/she didn't do. Film at 11.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited November 2016
    SKY - Japan PM's 'great confidence' in Trump's diplomacy debut

Donald Trump has held talks with Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe - the US President-elect's first face-to-face meeting with a foreign leader.

http://news.sky.com/story/japanese-pm-shinzo-abe-first-foreign-leader-to-meet-donald-trump-10660158
  • Options

Debate tonight is significant. Fillon still has ground to make up, let's see if Juppe gets more fired up
    Fillon has certainly come in on BF since I last looked.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Be afraid when he claims to have watched Jackie Milburn play football, or sneak on a plane to the Bahamas. That will probably happen in about 45 minutes.
  • Options

Donald Trump has held talks with Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe - the US President-elect's first face-to-face meeting with a foreign leader.

http://news.sky.com/story/japanese-pm-shinzo-abe-first-foreign-leader-to-meet-donald-trump-10660158

Trump's place is halfway between a lady's boudoir and a bond villain lair.
  • Options
    OGH: "In the big battle for Richmond Park, a week on Thursday, the LDs are going very strong on BREXIT....... Whether it will be enough to shift the incumbent MP with a big majority I do not know."

I do ..... it won't! Although I'd have to say that the Yellow Team are comfortably ahead in terms of the number of supportive signs and posters on display in their driveways/front gardens/porches, etc. which is always a sure sign of effective organisational support by the local party. Plus of course they will benefit from a majority of those who would otherwise vote Labour, so it could be reasonably close, reducing Zac's majority to perhaps < 5,000.
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711

Errr.. the debate was LAST night.
  • Options
    jcesmond said:

Jonathan said:

Be afraid when he claims to have watched Jackie Milburn play football
    Who's done that?

• Options
    Did Not Vote would have won 490 Electoral College votes:
    http://brilliantmaps.com/did-not-vote/
  • Options
    jcesmond said:

Jonathan said:

Be afraid when he claims to have watched Jackie Milburn play football, or sneak on a plane to the Bahamas. That will probably happen in about 45 minutes.
    When he sneaked onto the plane, it was under fire from Serbs snipers. And he was named after a mountaineer who became famous when he was 10.
  • Options

I thought we might be having a thread on "good night for the Tories in local elections".....?

Pigs might fly!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Trump's home is like something Barbara Cartland or Liberace would have dreamed up. Julian Clary maybe. It's definitive proof that he's at least a little bit gay.
  • Options

OGH: "In the big battle for Richmond Park, a week on Thursday, the LDs are going very strong on BREXIT....... Whether it will be enough to shift the incumbent MP with a big majority I do not know."

I do ..... it won't! Although I'd have to say that the Yellow Team are comfortably ahead in terms of the number of supportive signs and posters on display in their driveways/front gardens/porches, etc. which is always a sure sign of effective organisational support by the local party. Plus of course they will benefit from a majority of those who would otherwise vote Labour, so it could be reasonably close, reducing Zac's majority to perhaps < 5,000.

BF seems to agree as LibDem still out at 4.2
  • Options

Pigs might fly!
    On the upside at least we won't have loads of Tories bleating about 'meaningless parish council elections'.
  • Options

jcesmond said:

Jonathan said:

Who's done that?

Blair. He was 4 when Milburn retired, and the seats he claimed to have been sitting in weren't installed until the 1990s.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Jonathan said:

Trump's home is like something Barbara Cartland or Liberace would have dreamed up. Julian Clary maybe. It's definitive proof that he's at least a little bit gay.
    Maybe that is his link with Putin - the camp thing.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

As Dolly Parton once said - "It costs a lot to look this cheap."
  • Options

Patrick said:

Jonathan said:

Maybe that is his link with Putin - the camp thing.
    Careful you guys, he sues a lot.
    But then, so did Liberace.
  • Options
    Am slightly puzzled at the Brexiteer's opposition to a second referendum on the result of the Brexit terms - what if the Government find that the best deal they can get includes only marginal controls on free movement - wouldn't Leavers then want a second referendum?
  • Options
    jcesmond said:

jcesmond said:

Jonathan said:

Who's done that?

Blair. He was 4 when Milburn retired, and the seats he claimed to have been sitting in weren't installed until the 1990s.
    I yield to no one in contempt for Blair, but..

'Blair football 'myth' cleared up

But the Sunday Sun, the region's Sunday newspaper, has now told the former PM in an interview with him that it had misreported a BBC interview in which Mr Blair had talked about his support for Newcastle.
    The newspaper said that one of its sports reporters had been told by a friend about Mr Blair's interview on BBC radio, but that the reporter's friend had misheard what the former PM had actually said.
    The story was included in a match report and Mr Blair was told, "the rumour grew from there".'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7749778.stm
  • Options

Maybe when we get one, last night was

+ 2.4%
    - 1.3%
    -24.7%

https://twitter.com/britainelects?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983
    PB-ers have written off a couple of candidates recently as no-hopers, only for them to come through.

Just because Farron went to Newcastle and has spent his life with 'ordinary' people is no reason to write him off. 'Experts' have been written off; how about the Oxbridge snobocracy?

"Cos, TBH, that's how it comes across sometimes!

Signed OKC (MA ARU) (AKA Almost a Real University!)
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Am slightly puzzled at the Brexiteer's opposition to a second referendum on the result of the Brexit terms - what if the Government find that the best deal they can get includes only marginal controls on free movement - wouldn't Leavers then want a second referendum?

What would your two referendum options be?

(1) Accept these terms to leave anyway
    (2) Go back and try harder
  • Options

Very good point. However, I suspect that whatever the May government agrees will be met with noisy accusations of betrayal. It's gone beyond mere EU membership now - the forces of Leave want to foist their own version of Trumpism upon the United Kingdom. That's their next project.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989

And in how many of those seats the LibDems lost in 2015 - and now having a Brexit majority - would the voters (including tactical votes from Brexit Labour) tell the LibDems to "Piss off...."?

Close to all.

Not many. Of the ten most marginal LibDem targets, six are remain (Twickenham 66% Remain, Cambridge 74% Remain) and four are Leave (Wells 53% Leave, Thornbury 53% Leave).
  • Options

Very good point. However, I suspect that whatever the May government agrees will be met with noisy accusations of betrayal. It's gone beyond mere EU membership now - the forces of Leave want to foist their own version of Trumpism upon the United Kingdom. That's their next project.
    Thanks for telling me what I wanted.

I never knew that, but I assume you must know my mind and everybody elses better than us.
  • Options

I absolutely, utterly and unequivocally want the UK to leave the EU. On good terms if we can, on not so good if that is all that is available. But I will never support the UK becoming part of a U.S.E. The 'Project' is not for us. (It's going to suck for Europe too and a large amount of grief is coming in the 'core' countries when politics, economics and national identity all finally collide).
    The Remain camp are trying to put legal or additional electoral hurdles in the way of actually leaving.
    So...As long as we trigger Article 50 soon (legally, after supreme court or a GE landslide - I don't care which) and are therefore irrevocably committed to an exit on terms to be agreed or WTO rules as fallback - then I'm happy for any further votes or referendums to take place. I share the nagging fear of many that the establishment will indeed find a way to thwart the Leave decision.
  • Options

You haven’t a clue want leavers want and are merely projecting.
  • Options

Yes, but any second referendum would be to either leave the EU under the terms of the deal, or to leave the EU to WTO terms with no deal - not to remain in the EU, we have already decided that.
  • Options
    King Cole, not sure that analogy holds. Is Farron speaking for the public or cutting through old political rhetoric that people are tired of? I'm not sure he is. His pro-migrant stance may hold favour with broadcast media but I don't think it has mass support. The public generally want tougher controls, despite the prolonged and persistently pro-migrant reporting by the broadcast media.

And, as I said, "The Lib Dems will ignore what voters want" isn't necessarily a great slogan.

Mr. Patrick, indeed. If legalistic shenanigans prevent our departure, it'll be an interesting conundrum when the next election rolls around.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

What would your two referendum options be?

(1) Accept these terms to leave anyway
    (2) Go back and try harder
    I have no idea...for all the talk of a honeymoon period for Mrs May I suspect that in two years the good ship Tory will be run well and truly aground on the rocks...whichever way the final terms go there will be dissent within the party and because of that I can't see the Government going the full five years
  • Options

As I predicted on here a few weeks back, the ludicrous Labour leadership team has fallen out big time with Keir Starmer:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/18/brexit-row-keir-starmer-john-mcdonnell-threatens-labour-truce

Here's my article. Trump implosion!! Seems a long time ago.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/10/09/joff-wild-says-keep-an-eye-on-keir/

Yet again Labour a shambolic mess.

The Labour leadership want Brexit, no matter how many half hearted denials are issued.

Ironic if they become as split over Europe as the tories used to be.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815

Don't be daft... Things can only ever be terrible for the crisis-hit Tories now Dave and Osborne have gone...
  • Options
    England collapse. :/
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983

King Cole, not sure that analogy holds. Is Farron speaking for the public or cutting through old political rhetoric that people are tired of? I'm not sure he is. His pro-migrant stance may hold favour with broadcast media but I don't think it has mass support. The public generally want tougher controls, despite the prolonged and persistently pro-migrant reporting by the broadcast media.

And, as I said, "The Lib Dems will ignore what voters want" isn't necessarily a great slogan.

Mr. Patrick, indeed. If legalistic shenanigans prevent our departure, it'll be an interesting conundrum when the next election rolls around.

IME the general opinion on migration is, and always has been, that we don't like immigration but Abdul, Josef and so on are fine fellows.
  • Options
    F1: from the BBC gossip column, seems Chinese investors are interested in acquiring a controlling stake in McLaren's parent company.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Thanks for telling me what I wanted.

I never knew that, but I assume you must know my mind and everybody elses better than us.

You haven’t a clue want leavers want and are merely projecting.
    I'm amazed that anyone finds my remarks even remotely controversial.

A simple question: why haven't UKIP disbanded and why hasn't Farage not vanished into retirement?

Answer: they haven't remotely finished yet.
  • Options

In fact, what the public wants in terms of immigration control is, perhaps ironically, quite similar to policies enforced in many countries where the migrants come from....
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    What happened to Tim Farron's promise that the Lib Dems would stand in the next election on an unequivocal commitment to keep Britain in the EU?

That promise has implications for the attitude to take towards A50. If you say unequivocally that you want Britain to stay in the EU, then you should vote against invoking A50 regardless of whatever negotiating aims the government manages to cobble together and publish.

After the referendum, I thought the Lib Dems had grown a pair.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Patrick said:

I absolutely, utterly and unequivocally want the UK to leave the EU. On good terms if we can, on not so good if that is all that is available. But I will never support the UK becoming part of a U.S.E. The 'Project' is not for us. (It's going to suck for Europe too and a large amount of grief is coming in the 'core' countries when politics, economics and national identity all finally collide).
    The Remain camp are trying to put legal or additional electoral hurdles in the way of actually leaving.
    So...As long as we trigger Article 50 soon (legally, after supreme court or a GE landslide - I don't care which) and are therefore irrevocably committed to an exit on terms to be agreed or WTO rules as fallback - then I'm happy for any further votes or referendums to take place. I share the nagging fear of many that the establishment will indeed find a way to thwart the Leave decision.
    I fully accept that there are some Leavers like yourself who would Leave no matter how damaging the final Leave terms are to the UK economy and how much financial harm would be done to British people but I suspect that such luddism is not a majority view even in the 52% wgo voted Leave back in June .
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

No, we have already voted to leave the EU. A deal that retains the EU's freedom of movement is not Leaving.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    England's batsmen following the lead of their captain. 80/5 :o
  • Options
    Mr. Senior, indeed, and I accept some Remain voters would want to Remain no matter how much of our sovereignty is surrendered to an unelected foreign power. But I think most Remainers are more reasonable than that.

King Cole, there's often a divergence between a general principle and individual circumstances. "Lock 'em up!" "It's a shame Joe got such a long sentence. He's a nice lad, fell in with the wrong crowd, etc."
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Thank you for the analysis, it's very helpful and illuminating.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Patrick said:

I fully accept that there are some Leavers like yourself who would Leave no matter how damaging the final Leave terms are to the UK economy and how much financial harm would be done to British people but I suspect that such luddism is not a majority view even in the 52% wgo voted Leave back in June .
    Leaving may be initially uncomfortable but a few years down the line the prospects are incredible. Our potential as a country will be unrestrained by the dead hand of the EU.

You are just projecting your own inadequacies on to the aspirations and vision of those better than yourself.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

England's batsmen following the lead of their captain. 80/5 :o

It's not great.
  • Options

Mr. Senior, indeed, and I accept some Remain voters would want to Remain no matter how much of our sovereignty is surrendered to an unelected foreign power. But I think most Remainers are more reasonable than that.

King Cole, there's often a divergence between a general principle and individual circumstances. "Lock 'em up!" "It's a shame Joe got such a long sentence. He's a nice lad, fell in with the wrong crowd, etc."

What 'unelected foreign power' do you mean?
  • Options
    In the French presidential market, François Fillon looks a bargain at his current back price of 5.7. He performed well in the Republicans' third debate, and Nicolas Sarkozy's payments from Libya are getting talked about in the media again. He's likely to get into the Republicans' second round. When he does - on Monday - he will get most of Sarkozy's price and probably some of Alain Juppé's.

I wouldn't be surprised if by the middle of next week there are three front-runners with similar prices: Juppé, Le Pen, Fillon. In the longer term, Fillon could well overtake the convicted crook Juppé.

I'm no fan of primaries generally, but you've got to wonder how well they go with the two-round system. Imagine voting four times for who you want to be president. Some people may end up varying their choices merely to break the monotony - which could be advantageous for the main "change" candidate, Marine Le Pen.
  • Options

Patrick said:

Just as there are some Remainers like yourself who would have us stay on the EU no matter how damaging it is to.our economy, our democracy and our independence. Thankfully as we have already seen such blind fanatical devotion to a foreign institution is not widely supported except by Lib Dems like yourself.
  • Options

IME the general opinion on migration is, and always has been, that we don't like immigration but Abdul, Josef and so on are fine fellows.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEux8I2wMY0&t=1m30s
  • Options

No, we have already voted to leave the EU. A deal that retains the EU's freedom of movement is not Leaving.

Switzerland is in the EU?
  • Options

Patrick said:

...I suspect that such luddism is not a majority view ...
    Life's not just about money though - as we have seen. Those who argue for Remain on grounds of financial fear seem completely tin-eared to the actual, immediate and irrevocable destruction that would be wrought on our democracy. If we somehow stay we're going to be part of a U.S.E. policy will ultimately be decided in Brussels. The two key tests of democracy (1. Can you kick the buggers out? 2 Can you thereby change policy direction?) will fail spectacularly. EU policy on the 'Project' is not changeable. In that sense the people of core EU are not free. We've had exciting reminders of the raw power of democracy just lately. I value that power. My own view is that those who call me a luddite for valuing this more than the avoidance of temporary economic pain are spineless useful idiots.
  • Options

F1: from the BBC gossip column, seems Chinese investors are interested in acquiring a controlling stake in McLaren's parent company.

That will be another high-tech company sold, then.
  • Options
    Mr. Dawning, did we vote to join the EU? Nope. Or for Juncker, or Tusk? No. Can rulings be imposed on us by QMV or the ECJ? Can elected representatives (even though the vast majority are foreign...) even propose legislation?

It's a deliberately complicated, opaque, unaccountable mess.

The country would love the economics of the EU without the politics. But that's not on offer.
  • Options
    Mr. L, assuming it's the same corporate body, it's currently half-owned by the Bahrainis [that might be a subordinate company, not sure].
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586

China is going be a big challenge for the rest of the world; think of the US without principles (Trump being an aberration, IMO)...
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/12/chinas-great-leap-backward/505817/
  • Options

Tight for first place or second place? I think Sarkozy will be third by more than 5%.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    GeoffM said:

Patrick said:

Leaving may be initially uncomfortable but a few years down the line the prospects are incredible. Our potential as a country will be unrestrained by the dead hand of the EU.

You are just projecting your own inadequacies on to the aspirations and vision of those better than yourself.

And you are projecting blind faith in a return to UKs Victorian era supremacy . Wake up we are now in the 21st century . It is a different world .
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,994

AIUI McLaren's already mostly foreign owned.
  • Options

The same investors that Ron Dennis was trying to bring to the table - to which the other shareholders said no and told Mr Dennis to go away?
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Patrick said:

Life's not just about money though - as we have seen. Those who argue for Remain on grounds of financial fear seem completely tin-eared to the actual, immediate and irrevocable destruction that would be wrought on our democracy. If we somehow stay we're going to be part of a U.S.E. policy will ultimately be decided in Brussels. The two key tests of democracy (1. Can you kick the buggers out? 2 Can you thereby change policy direction?) will fail spectacularly. EU policy on the 'Project' is not changeable. In that sense the people of core EU are not free. We've had exciting reminders of the raw power of democracy just lately. I value that power. My own view is that those who call me a luddite for valuing this more than the avoidance of temporary economic pain are spineless useful idiots.
    Whisper it, but Dave's Deal specifically extricated us from 'ever closer union'.
  • Options
    Meeeeeeeeeeeeeoooowwwwwww...

The Grand Tour review: Clarkson returns in 'filmic' show

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38024595
  • Options

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeoooowwwwwww...

The Grand Tour review: Clarkson returns in 'filmic' show

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38024595

What a surprise that pretty much the only review that doesn't think it's brilliant, comes from the BBC.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2016

Patrick said:

Patrick said:

Whisper it, but Dave's Deal specifically extricated us from 'ever closer union'.
    Dave had no deal! Nothing in the EU is enforceable other than by Treaty. The sham deal is at the 'Read my lips - no new taxes' end of the believability spectrum. A Remain vote would have been a Hotel California vote. We'd have got assimilated eventually. Do you personally, by the way, believe Cameron or any politician's promise vs ink on signed paper?
This discussion has been closed.