Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Extraordinary. Trump wants Farage to be Britain’s Ambassador t

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited November 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Extraordinary. Trump wants Farage to be Britain’s Ambassador to the United States

Perhaps the most extraordinary development of Trump’s victory in British terms is the Tweet, from the President-elect, giving his view on who he wants as Britain’s man in Washington.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited November 2016
    First like Nigel!

Surely Trump should make him the US Ambassador to Britain. Or is he planning to auction off those jobs?
  • Options
    Great idea.Always nice to have a head start.Surely a no-brainer whatever your view of Farage unless you are totally prejudiced like many on this site.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Great idea.Always nice to have a head start.Surely a no-brainer whatever your view of Farage unless you are totally prejudiced like many on this site.

So if Hilary had won and asked you'd be keen on David Miliband or Tony Blair as ambassador.

Seems bonkers to me to choose an ambassador who is in a different political party who plans to stand against your party at the next general election.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

First like Nigel!

Surely Trump should make him the US Ambassador to Britain. Or is he planning to auction off those jobs?

Maybe thats the backup plan? Hard to say which would be worse for TM really...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    He doesn't get a say
  • Options
    What a way to undermine Thersea May. I thought Trump was supposed to be an ally for us? Well, at least that's what I was told....
  • Options
    Morning all.

What does Theresa May do about this? Ignore, American Presidents may object to Britain’s choice of Ambassador to the US, but they cannot dictate who they should be.
  • Options
    BBC - President-elect Donald Trump says the US will quit the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal on his first day in the White House.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38059623
  • Options
    Am I missing something? Is there a vacancy for this post?
  • Options

Morning all.

What does Theresa May do about this? Ignore, American Presidents may object to Britain’s choice of Ambassador to the US, but they cannot dictate who they should be.

Absolutely. This is simply a power play by Trump. Nothing more than that.

If we bend the knee we'll always be a supplicant.
  • Options

BBC - President-elect Donald Trump says the US will quit the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal on his first day in the White House.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38059623

Doing what he said he would do.
    But Hillary said the same. “I will stop any trade deal that kills jobs or holds down wages – including the Trans-Pacific Partnership,” she said. “I oppose it now, I’ll oppose it after the election, and I’ll oppose it as president.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/aug/20/trump-clinton-free-trade-policies-tpp
  • Options

Morning all.

Maybe she should suggest who should be US ambassador to the UK...
    Elizabeth Warren perhaps?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Morning all.

Agreed but this indicates that our current Ambassador failed to build links with a 50/50 chance of POTUS.
  • Options
    FPT

Fillon is an ex-PM, it will be impossible to escape being portrayed as a member of the elite.

If you are a member of the French left, the normal left not the bobo left, and in round 2 you are faced with two candidates who both are more or less on the same page re Radical Islam and Russia, and you have one who is talking your language on globalisation, big business, protectionism, and the other proposing the opposite of what you support, I think they will either abstain, or vote Le Pen.

The "normal left" in France has one single common belief and it is anti-lepenism (it's also one of their only point of agreement with the bobo left). Not a single person calling himself a leftist in France will ever vote Le Pen. Though I agree that some would certainly abstain.

BTW I understand what you mean but it's amusing to think of Fillon as "elite" compared to MLP. He is from a middle-class family and grew up in a countryside village of 3000 inhabitants.
    Marine Le Pen was born in Neuilly (the poshest suburb of Paris) from a millionnaire family and has lived 46 years of her life in the most famous super-VIP gated community in France. And of course she literally inherited the family buisiness.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    Given what's happening in UKIP, won't be too long before Our Nige falls out with The Donald!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

Everyone is prejudiced, it's how our brains are wired.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited November 2016

Charles said:

Morning all.

Agreed but this indicates that our current Ambassador failed to build links with a 50/50 chance of POTUS.
    Don’t think that’s quite the case. Farage regards Britain's ambassador in Washington Sir Kim Darroch, as a "fanatical Europhile and part of the old regime" for his role as Britain's Permanent Rep to the EU and has called for his resignation. Trump's tweet appears to be mischievously assisting Farage with his little vendetta, no doubt because it amuses him to do so.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Charles said:

Morning all.

Is it still Westmacott? I met him a couple of times when he was in Paris - great guy, but can't imagine he would gell with Trump particularly well.

Edit: I see Kim Darroch took over earlier this year. I suppose his degree in Zoology might help...
  • Options
    LOL!
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited November 2016
    The idea that Trump will be a great friend to the UK is killed with this Tweet. No friend would have sent it. If Farage were any kind of patriot he would immediately disown it.

The only good news from all of this is that Farage's cuddle-up-close to the Donald totally and utterly discredits him as a serious political figure. Not that he was widely seen that way before, of course.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,294
    Does Farrage really want to be in charge of handing out the Ferraro Rochets? Being ambassador in Washington is pretty much the top job in the career Foreign Office but for a politician used to speaking his own mind on every topic under the sun it would be a prison.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

The idea that Trump will be a great friend to the UK is killed with this Tweet. No friend would have sent it. If Farage were any kind of patriot he would immediately disown it.

You think if he doesn't get his way on this he's going to throw his toys out of the pram regarding relations with Britain?
  • Options

Morning all.

Probably the smart thing to do is to use right-wing Conservatives who are sympathetic to Farage, and on friendly terms with him already - and can tell Trump as much - but still definitively from the governing party and aligned to the May Government.
  • Options
    RobD said:

You think if he doesn't get his way on this he's going to throw his toys out of the pram regarding relations with Britain?

No, I think that anyone who had any regard for this country would not have sent that Tweet.
  • Options

RobD said:

No, I think that anyone who had any regard for this country would not have sent that Tweet.
    I don't think Trump is anyone. ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

It's possible. To be honest, I'm not expecting Trump to roll out the red carpet for the UK. Although we are probably doing so for him with a state visit next year. Given the sort of character he is, maybe that will work.. don't know.

He has emotional ties to this country, respects Brexit, and detests the EU, but he will always act in his interests first.

The key thing we need from him is a bilateral trade deal. He knows this, it's just a question of how best he can be influenced (if at all)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Does Farrage really want to be in charge of handing out the Ferraro Rochets? Being ambassador in Washington is pretty much the top job in the career Foreign Office but for a politician used to speaking his own mind on every topic under the sun it would be a prison.

It's not up to Farage. It's not up to Trump. The Queen - our head of state - appoints ambassadors on the advice of the government.

• Options

RobD said:

It's possible. To be honest, I'm not expecting Trump to roll out the red carpet for the UK. Although we are probably doing so for him with a state visit next year. Given the sort of character he is, maybe that will work.. don't know.

He has emotional ties to this country, respects Brexit, and detests the EU, but he will always act in his interests first.

The key thing we need from him is a bilateral trade deal. He knows this, it's just a question of how best he can be influenced (if at all)

Congress is far more important than Trump when it comes to trade deals. We need to persuade a majority of elected representatives that giving the UK substantially better trading terms than we have already is in the best interests of the people who vote for them. And given the timings no deal is likely to be put in front of Congress during a Trump presidency.
  • Options

RobD said:

The problem being that he's just torn up an - incredibly favourable for the US - trade deal with US allies Australia, South Korea, Japan and New Zealand.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The only good news from all of this is that Farage's cuddle-up-close to the Donald totally and utterly discredits him as a serious political figure. Not that he was widely seen that way before, of course.

Bedwetting lefty nonsense. Lol.

Nope - fact. If Trump had any regard for this country or its head of state that Tweet would not have been posted. You know it, but you have no problem with it because you are a highly partisan right-winger.

• Options
    http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/11/21/kobachs-extreme-vetting-proposal-is-revealed-in-photos-with-trump/?mod=e2tw

can't they afford briefcases or something? or ...perhaps they did it on purpose?
  • Options

Charles said:

Morning all.

Hasn't our ambassador only been there about three months? I doubt he built links - during a busy election season - with either candidate.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BBCNormanS: Number Ten on Trump call for @Nigel_Farage to becomer UK ambassador: "There is no vacancy. We have an excellent ambassador to the US."
  • Options
    @BBCNormanS: Govt sources re-iterate "categorically" no role for @Nigel_Farage
  • Options
    Clear from Farage's reported reaction this morning that he wants it.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited November 2016

RobD said:

Farage hates the EU, and has Trump's ear. The EU 28 run a very substantial trade surplus with the USA. That makes the EU28 vulnerable to US tariffs to protect US workers, and for at least the next 30 months we are part of the EU. Brexit will not occur under Trumps first term IMO, and he may well not get a second.

• Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Morning all.

Is it still Westmacott? I met him a couple of times when he was in Paris - great guy, but can't imagine he would gell with Trump particularly well.
    Edit: I see Kim Darroch took over earlier this year. I suppose his degree in Zoology might help...
    Darroch has spent his career working with the EU and security. No work in trade! Very unsuitable.

• Options
    edited November 2016

I suspect that Trump asked Farage his opinion of Kim Darroch and Farage gave it without considering the national interest (ie to have an effective Ambassador). If Farage wants a seat atbthe top table he needs to look beyond personal self interest
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Farage is making a huge mistake in cuddling up so close to Trump.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Ambassador Farage would do for British diplomacy what Gen Melchett did for troop morale.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

RobD said:

You're over-reading it, I think

He's trolling May, testing her, and doing a marginal favour for someone who could be useful in future. Don't think it says anything about his views of the UK (although don't forget that countries have interests, not allies)
  • Options
    Charles said:

I suspect that Trump asked Garage his opinion of Kim Darroch and Farage gave it without considering the national interest (ie to have an effective Ambassador). If Farage wants a seat atbthe top table he needs to look beyond personal self interest

I would hope that Farage is completely and perpetually disqualified from a seat at any high table. A man who is prepared to collude in the humiliation of his country's head of state and its government has no place anywhere near the corridors of power.

• Options
    Charles said:

RobD said:

He's trolling May, testing her, and doing a marginal favour for someobe who could be useful in future.
    Yes, and Trump is far from normal when it comes to diplomacy anyway.
  • Options
    The one upside this morning is imagining the look on this guys face. "IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ME!!!!"

https://twitter.com/mark1957/status/797092079532994560
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,391

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/11/21/kobachs-extreme-vetting-proposal-is-revealed-in-photos-with-trump/?mod=e2tw

can't they afford briefcases or something? or ...perhaps they did it on purpose?

Bingo - in the age of the 20Mpx camera, holding documents like that, uncovered, is a PR technique that is taught. This was deliberate.
  • Options
    Charles said:

RobD said:

He's trolling May, testing her, and doing a marginal favour for someobe who could be useful in future.

I'm afraid it is not the job of the president-elect of the United States to troll the Prime Minister of a close ally or to tell the Queen who she should appoint as our ambassador in Washington DC. I can just imagine the reaction on here if Obama had sent a similar Tweet.

• Options

Charles said:

RobD said:

I'm afraid it is not the job of the president-elect of the United States to troll the Prime Minister of a close ally or to tell the Queen who she should appoint as our ambassador in Washington DC. I can just imagine the reaction on here if Obama had sent a similar Tweet.

Note that he never actually said that.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

He has made his feelings pretty clear.

• Options

I can just imagine the reaction on here if Obama had sent a similar Tweet.

Obama said "back of the queue" and there was total meltdown from the headbangers.

Now Trump does this and their response is "deal with it"
  • Options

Charles said:

RobD said:

The difference is we wouldn't expect Obama to send a tweet like that. Trump, on the other hand...
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    This is amusing if nothing else. The stoats and weasels are definitely in charge now.

The "this is not the way we do things, old chap," will probably be the UK government reaction. But funny, coming from the left too.
  • Options
    The Trump Presidency is looking like it may do a lot to reduce the tedium. For Obama TPP was a real legacy. And it's gone. On day 1. With threats to Obamacare still pending the disappointingly slight mark that Obama made on the US may completely disappear within a year.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Obama said "back of the queue" and there was total meltdown from the headbangers.

Of course. Trump's embrace of white supremacists gets a free pass on PB, so a Tweet designed to humiliate this country's government and head of state is a mere trifle.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Worse, they want to kiss Trumps arse.
  • Options

RobD said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

He has made his feelings pretty clear.

It isn't as if he is saying Farage is the only option for the job.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Maybe if he had said "line" things would have been different!
  • Options

Charles said:

RobD said:

It might not be but Trump has done it and we are where we are. It will be interesting to see how it is priced up. Can the Foreign Office invent a post that will keep everyone happy?
  • Options

Charles said:

I suspect that Trump asked Garage his opinion of Kim Darroch and Farage gave it without considering the national interest (ie to have an effective Ambassador). If Farage wants a seat atbthe top table he needs to look beyond personal self interest

I would hope that Farage is completely and perpetually disqualified from a seat at any high table. A man who is prepared to collude in the humiliation of his country's head of state and its government has no place anywhere near the corridors of power.

I agree. This is a big mistake by Farage.

@TCPoliticalBetting Security quite important right now! But Ambassadors can turn their hand to anything. They have juniors to deal with details. Their role is to build relationships with the key players, to gather intelligence, assess situations and convey messages. Not to negotiate trade deals
  • Options
    That mooted State visit of President Trump is going to be entertaining!

I cannot see the British public and media being very welcoming.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

I agree. This is a big mistake by Farage.

@TCPoliticalBetting Security quite important right now! But Ambassadors can turn their hand to anything. They have juniors to deal with details. Their role is to build relationships with the key players, to gather intelligence, assess situations and convey messages. Not to negotiate trade deals
    Were there not noises after the election that the current lot hadn't done a good job at reaching out to the Trump team?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Obama intervened in domestic affairs.

Trump is playing a game on foreign affairs. It's legitimate but the right response is to ignore his "advice" (No 10 responded about right)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Nope - fact. If Trump had any regard for this country or its head of state that Tweet would not have been posted. You know it, but you have no problem with it because you are a highly partisan right-winger.

No, I'm just not an effeminate lefty nitwit. Trump is a game changer. He does things differently. The whole western world is changing. The culture wars have turned, finally, in favour of the right. Some of it will be ugly and weird and sad, some of it will be brilliant and wonderful and long overdue.

Rejoice.

If the right wing view of the culture wars is that it means the president-elect of the US gets to humiliate the government and the head of state of a close ally then I am not sure that the right will be in the ascendant for as long as you think.
  • Options

Charles said:

RobD said:

It might not be but Trump has done it and we are where we are. It will be interesting to see how it is priced up. Can the Foreign Office invent a post that will keep everyone happy?
    Governor of South Georgia?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,391
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Morning all.

Hasn't our ambassador only been there about three months? I doubt he built links - during a busy election season - with either candidate.
    Willing to bet there were links with Hillary - given her time as Sec. Of State.

• Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

No, I'm just not an effeminate lefty nitwit. Trump is a game changer. He does things differently. The whole western world is changing. The culture wars have turned, finally, in favour of the right. Some of it will be ugly and weird and sad, some of it will be brilliant and wonderful and long overdue.

Rejoice.

If the right wing view of the culture wars is that it means the president-elect of the US gets to humiliate the government and the head of state of a close ally then I am not sure that the right will be in the ascendant for as long as you think.
    It's not a humilliation unless we kow tow. Tell him to piss off
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Rejoice.

Not think you are getting a tad carried away this morning? I really don't see how this "humiliates" anyone.
  • Options

Bingo - in the age of the 20Mpx camera, holding documents like that, uncovered, is a PR technique that is taught. This was deliberate.
    so you'd think the media would be aware of it and report it as such. unless...

• Options
    DavidL said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Rejoice.

Not think you are getting a tad carried away this morning? I really don't see how this "humiliates" anyone.
    Pretty much got stamped on by HMG, someone's getting humiliated.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Quite.

The real danger is not that Farage gets made Ambassador but that he acts as some sort of unofficial advisor claiming to speak for Britain and undermining whatever our government tries to do.

A lesson to May not to assume that Trump's election will be any sort of benefit to Britain.

Trump will act in his own interests and those of the US (as he conceives them) and only those. In that he will be no different to any other US President. It has always been thus. It's long past the time for Britain to rid itself of the delusion that it is owed any sort of special favours by the US or that its President will help us just because he plays golf here or whatever.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited November 2016
    For anyone who missed this

"Hah-Hah-Hah!
    The New York Post reported:

Donald Trump scolded media big shots during an off-the-record Trump Tower sitdown on Monday, sources told The Post.

“It was like a f–ing firing squad,” one source said of the encounter.

“Trump started with [CNN chief] Jeff Zucker and said ‘I hate your network, everyone at CNN is a liar and you should be ashamed,’ ” the source said.

“The meeting was a total disaster. The TV execs and anchors went in there thinking they would be discussing the access they would get to the Trump administration, but instead they got a Trump-style dressing down,” the source added...

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016/11/trumps-media-meeting-set-brought-one-room-blasted-away/

More here

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-11-21/these-mainstream-media-anchors-just-went-record-meeting-trump
  • Options
    edited November 2016

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Rejoice.

Pretty much got stamped on by HMG, someone's getting humiliated.
    Nah. Farage has overplayed his hand. If he was even asked. But humiliated? I think not.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Rejoice.

What it says is that the president-elect does not believe that the current UK ambassador to the US is good enough. If he did he would not have sent the Tweet. That clearly humiliates the ambassador. And it says to the UK government and the head of state: "You have the wrong man in my capital city; and, what's more, I am not going to tell you privately, I am going to tell the world - that's how much I care about our special relationship."

• Options

Charles said:

RobD said:

Governor of South Georgia?
    No. Governor of St Helena.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Quite.

The real danger is not that Farage gets made Ambassador but that he acts as some sort of unofficial advisor claiming to speak for Britain and undermining whatever our government tries to do.

A lesson to May not to assume that Trump's election will be any sort of benefit to Britain.

Trump will act in his own interests and those of the US (as he conceives them) and only those. In that he will be no different to any other US President. It has always been thus. It's long past the time for Britain to rid itself of the delusion that it is owed any sort of special favours by the US or that its President will help us just because he plays golf here or whatever.

Completely agree. Politicians who seek to cuddle up close to the Donald will not be doing themselves any favours.

• Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Rejoice.
    But is Trump of the right or just an American nationalist? Remember Trump not only beat Hillary, he humiliated the Republican establishment.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Rejoice.

I think your overdoing it - going on a bout humiliation etc...

The point is that Trump is not going to be as close an ally as past Presidents... hopes of a trade deal on anything like reasonable terms with USA seem fanciful...

Good thing we have got such good relationships in Europe then really...
  • Options

RobD said:

Congress is far more important than Trump when it comes to trade deals. We need to persuade a majority of elected representatives that giving the UK substantially better trading terms than we have already is in the best interests of the people who vote for them. And given the timings no deal is likely to be put in front of Congress during a Trump presidency.
    Indeed. Hannan has already been. I think him and the likes of Carswell could do great work there.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

"Hah-Hah-Hah!

Donald Trump scolded media big shots during an off-the-record Trump Tower sitdown on Monday, sources told The Post.

“Trump started with [CNN chief] Jeff Zucker and said ‘I hate your network, everyone at CNN is a liar and you should be ashamed,’ ” the source said.

“The meeting was a total disaster. The TV execs and anchors went in there thinking they would be discussing the access they would get to the Trump administration, but instead they got a Trump-style dressing down,” the source added...

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016/11/trumps-media-meeting-set-brought-one-room-blasted-away/

More here

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-11-21/these-mainstream-media-anchors-just-went-record-meeting-trump

Is that your "Hah"?

Do you really think the US public are going to appreciate their head of state behaving like this long term?
  • Options
    Ignore it. Opposition leaders do not get government appointments. Ground rules need to be laid out early. Pandering on this would mean that Donald Trump would correctly deduce that Britain would be a pushover.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

The problem being that he's just torn up an - incredibly favourable for the US - trade deal with US allies Australia, South Korea, Japan and New Zealand.
    But he also said he'd consider replacing it with bilateral arrangements.
  • Options

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Rejoice.

What it says is that the president-elect does not believe that the current UK ambassador to the US is good enough. If he did he would not have sent the Tweet. That clearly humiliates the ambassador. And it says to the UK government and the head of state: "You have the wrong man in my capital city; and, what's more, I am not going to tell you privately, I am going to tell the world - that's how much I care about our special relationship."

Our man in Washington was very busy sending whiny telegrams back to London, and appearing in the press a week or so ago, whilst Farage took advantage of the vacuum and nipped in to grab Trumps attention. As always, the FCO is reacting to events rather than thinking a few steps ahead and setting the agenda. A quicker thinking organisation would have got their representative in first.
  • Options
    Incidentally I share SO's concerns about Trump's advisors and the views some of them have - on white supremacy, anti-semitism, racism etc. The fact that groups like the KKK are celebrating is not good news and Britain should, for its own self-respect, be careful not to be seen as sharing or endorsing such views. It is no use criticising Corbyn for his repellent views and associations and giving a free pass to Trump.

Realpolitik is fine. We will need to build as good a relationship as we can with the US but we need to be clear - and in public if need be - that we have certain values and that white supremacy, anti-semitism etc are not part of them.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,121

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Rejoice.
    But is Trump of the right or just an American nationalist? Remember Trump not only beat Hillary, he humiliated the Republican establishment.
    I think Trump is a Reactionary, in that all he does is to provoke a reaction. He is the Lord of Misrule. The Abbot of Unreason. Appointed to preside over the Feast of Fools, with the power to command anyone to do anything.

It is Roman Saturnalia, when the ordinary rules of life were subverted as masters served their slaves, and the offices of state were held by slaves.
  • Options
    It's also worth noting the impact of a Farage appointment on negotiations with the EU over Brexit. Not exactly the best mood music.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

It's also worth noting the impact of a Farage appointment on negotiations with the EU over Brexit. Not exactly the best mood music.

what mood music ?

there's only the cacophony of two orchestras tuning up atm.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Rejoice.
    Boris is probably compromised as well, due to his earlier less than flattering comments about Trump. No matter how effusive he is now.

Trump bears grudges and isn't someone to forget a slight, or who said it.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Rejoice.
    I think Trump is a Reactionary, in that all he does is to provoke a reaction. He is the Lord of Misrule. The Abbot of Unreason. Appointed to preside over the Feast of Fools, with the power to command anyone to do anything.

It is Roman Saturnalia, when the ordinary rules of life were subverted as masters served their slaves, and the offices of state were held by slaves.
    Trump is a bully. Mr Meeks is right. He should be told where to get off. If people were miffed at Obama's "back if the queue" comment they should be equally miffed at this.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Incidentally I share SO's concerns about Trump's advisors and the views some of them have - on white supremacy, anti-semitism, racism etc. The fact that groups like the KKK are celebrating is not good news and Britain should, for its own self-respect, be careful not to be seen as sharing or endorsing such views. It is no use criticising Corbyn for his repellent views and associations and giving a free pass to Trump.

Realpolitik is fine. We will need to build as good a relationship as we can with the US but we need to be clear - and in public if need be - that we have certain values and that white supremacy, anti-semitism etc are not part of them.

Hear, hear.

The silence of so many right wingers on here and elsewhere about Trump's embrace of white supremacists, when they rightly attacked Corbyn for his tolerance and even embrace of anti-Semitism, is deafening. Turns out those attacks on Corbyn were all about partisanship, not principle.

• Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Rejoice.

I think Saturnalia was just over a week, not four years.

Caligula appointing his horse as Consul is more like it.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419
    edited November 2016
    If the Government hadn't dismissed out of hand the possibility of Farage having some form of go-between role, I doubt this would have happened. I agree that he is totally unsuited to being ambassador. But that doesn't mean his warm relations with Trump should he wasted.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

PlatoSaid said:

"Hah-Hah-Hah!

More here

Is that your "Hah"?

Do you really think the US public are going to appreciate their head of state behaving like this long term?
    Think? Cut and paste, maybe.
  • Options
    jcesmond said:

Our man in Washington was very busy sending whiny telegrams back to London, and appearing in the press a week or so ago, whilst Farage took advantage of the vacuum and nipped in to grab Trumps attention. As always, the FCO is reacting to events rather than thinking a few steps ahead and setting the agenda. A quicker thinking organisation would have got their representative in first.

Our new Man in Washington was still finding where the coffee machine was, whilst no doubt sending back intelligence on what kind of a President Hillary Clinton would be for the UK. I suspect the advice to HMG was as off the mark as all the rest of the punditry. So he is starting with the only advantage over an Ambassador Farage of knowing where the coffee machine is.

But Farage? A Diplomat? Arf......
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

But he also said he'd consider replacing it with bilateral arrangements.
    Nevertheless, it's hard to imagine that would be *less* favourable to the US than TPP was.
  • Options

If the Government hadn't dismissed out of hand the possibility of Farage having some form of go-between role, I doubt this would have happened. I agree that he is totally unsuited to being ambassador. But that doesn't mean his warm relations with Trump should he wasted.

So it's the UK government's fault!?

Nigel Farage is an opposition politician! Would David Cameron have appointed Ed Miliband as US ambassador?
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Rejoice.

I agree - a four year Saturnalia is more accurately a Freak Show. But the American public wanted the old order stood on its head. That is what Trump offered. It is Bread and Circuses, with some doubt whether the bread will ever arrive, but no doubt about the circus being camped on the White House lawn.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,997

Yes, it does. It's also clear - if it was not clear before - that not only can Farage not be trusted, he's also no patriot.

It's no wonder that Trump and Farage get on - they're cut from the same cloth.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Morning all.

Willing to bet there were links with Hillary - given her time as Sec. Of State.

With the Embassy? Sure

But I can't imagine the new ambassador got much - if any - face time with either of the candidates in the last three months.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Rejoice.

I agree - a four year Saturnalia is more accurately a Freak Show. But the American public wanted the old order stood on its head. That is what Trump offered. It is Bread and Circuses, with some doubt whether the bread will ever arrive, but no doubt about the circus being camped on the White House lawn.

No, the American public wanted Clinton. Trump was not their first choice.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Didn't Saudi Arabia attempt to tell us who we should send as ambassador a few years ago? And didn't we, quite rightly, tell them diplomatically to F off?
This discussion has been closed.