Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Sensational ICM poll has the Tories drawing level with LAB

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited July 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Sensational ICM poll has the Tories drawing level with LAB

The fall of UKIP in tonight's ICM poll is quite sensational. In May it was 18%, June 12% and in this poll 7%
CON the beneficiary

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    CON MAJ still 4/1. In fact, Paddy Power have just lengthened their price.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Betfair update - big shift away from Lab maj,

Lab Maj 2.62-2.8
    NOM 2.34-2.48

Most seats

Lab 1.7-1.73
    Con 2.44-2.52

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    electionista ‏@electionista 5m

UK - @conservatives 36%, level with @UKlabour, is the party's highest score in an ICM/Guardian poll since March 2012 http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/jul/15/tories-labour-ukip-guardian-icm-poll
    Dan Hodges explosion imminent. ;^ )
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    edited July 2013
    The pragmatist in me says Outlier and it is just one poll.

Let us see what the Mori poll says

The Tory supporter in me says hahahahaha the two Eds and Labour only level pegging with the incompetent fops and toxic Osborne with the Gold Standard 22 months to go to the election.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Con 36 Lab 36 LD 13 UKIP 7 produces the following seat distribution:

Lab 321
    Con 279
    LD 23
    SNP 6
    PC 3
    Grn 0
    UKIP 0
    NI 18

HUNG PARLIAMENT
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Remember, the 4 polls yesterday all showed a very different picture to this. One swallow doesn't make a summer.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    Broken sleazy UKIP on the slide?

ICM/The Sunil:

Coalition 49%
    Labour 36%

OR if you prefer:

Lab/Lib 49%
    Tory/UKIP 43%
  • Options
    Jason Cowan
    Ahem. ICM/Guardian in July 2008: Con 43 Lab 28 LD 19
  • Options
    tim said:

Lab 321
    Con 279
    LD 23
    UKIP 0
    SNP 6
    PC 3
    Grn 0
    UKIP 0
    NI 18

HUNG PARLIAMENT

Miliband PM.

Cameron removed.

Another Lib-Lab coalition?

• Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Broken sleazy UKIP on the slide?

Not according to all the polls yesterday. With a split in polling it's harder to tell, but the weight of evidence is still in favour of UKIP holding up.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Plato said:

Jason Cowan

So ICM 2008 had the Tories 7% ahead of their 2010 GE share?
  • Options
    The fall of UKIP in tonight's ICM poll is quite sensational. In May it was 18%, June 12% and in this poll 7% CON the beneficiary
    Poor old Farage what a shame. ;)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Surely an outlier.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    Just imagine how bad it would be if Labour had picked the wrong Miliband.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Jason Cowan

What's his point? Labour should be further ahead if they want to form a government? Tories still way behind where they need to be to get power on their own?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Whether this is an outlier or not - its all terrifically amusing for mid-term wobbles from Labour. They know as well as we do that ICM has a superb reputation.

And tomorrow its Tories Save The NHS Day ;^ )
  • Options
    Betfair punters voting with their money - Lab maj layoff.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    When was the last time ICM recorded a change in support of 7%!

Must be at least a 3 point increase for the Tories, given MoE.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Well that is big news. And feels about right to me, even if the swing from the previous poll doesn't quite match up to events.
  • Options
    Can anyone confirm that ICM haven't undergone a methodology change?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Surely an outlier.

We'll have to wait and see. Opposition parties opposing themselves tend not to impress voters any more than divided parties infighting while in government.
  • Options
    Ever since @Plato posted that twitter comment on the previous thread, i've been listening to the public accounts committee talking about taxation of the Duchy. Must say it is quite interesting, in an absolutely nerdy sort of way.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Labour and EdM have failed in opposition as they failed in government. The tide has turned.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I can't recall if it was ICM - but there was a sensational poll like this a while ago and we all dismissed it as an outlier - and it held true the following month. It may have been Vetogasm but I think it wasn't that long ago.
  • Options

tim said:

Lab 321
    Con 279
    LD 23
    UKIP 0
    SNP 6
    PC 3
    Grn 0
    UKIP 0
    NI 18

HUNG PARLIAMENT

Miliband PM.

Cameron removed.

Another Lib-Lab coalition?

With Clegg?? Imagine the hilarity. :)
  • Options
    Opposition parties opposing themselves....

Does this mean you suspect that its the union clash thing that may have driven the shift?

(if shift it be?).
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited July 2013
    Surely got to be a rogue (not sure precisely what the technical definition is in polling terms) but at least an outlier. We ought to wait for confirmation

Still, it's fun to dream... :)

I wonder what people are saying in Labour HQ right now...

Edit: seems like a rogue is the same as an outlier

http://davidmallard.id.au/2011/01/understanding-polls-margins-of-error/
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    It's obvious that there are two sets of pollsters in the land and never their twain will meet.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ever since @Plato posted that twitter comment on the previous thread, i've been listening to the public accounts committee talking about taxation of the Duchy. Must say it is quite interesting, in an absolutely nerdy sort of way.

I really like the PAC and Select Committee hearings - pick up some really interesting stuff and the level of exasperation from some MPs is brilliant. I wish I'd caught Richard Bacon with his head in his hands...
  • Options
    Labour and EdM have failed in opposition as they failed in government. The tide has turned.

Easy tiger.....
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    taffys said:

Opposition parties opposing themselves....

Does this mean you suspect that its the union clash thing that may have driven the shift?

(if shift it be?).

IF it's a shift then it's pretty obvious it can't have helped but the kipper fall can hardly be ignored either. The tories were tearing lumps out of each other over Europe not too long ago but seem to have calmed down now for the most part.

The polling on the likes of little Ed, Balls, Clegg, Osbrowne and Cammie are fairly consistent and it's crystal clear they aren't setting the world on fire with their popularity.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Interesting poll but out of line with other pollsters and council by elections which recently have been abysmally poor for the Conservatives . It will be interesting to see the full data tables .
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Well the 2 Eds will be filling their breeks tonight. They can always ask Andy Burnham to administer First Aid to them :)
  • Options
    Andy Burnham on ITV news dismissing emergency measures tomorrow as a smokescreen. A bit rich from the man who squandered billions driving down the standards of the English NHS. Remember that phrase "the NHS is safe in Labour's hands". Maybe so but we now know several thousand patients were not!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    RobD said:

During the election that never was in 2007.

Tories went from 32 to 40 in the ICM guardian series in September to October 2007.

Edit there were other ICM polls during that period, which showed the gradual increase during that period.

Edit 2: For the the 3 major parties excluding UKIP that is.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    I've added new chart showing all six polls over past two days
  • Options
    Expect the fruitless anti Crosby frothing to increase ten fold....
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Just got back from a lovely few days in the sun, with the family.

I've been to Legoland and Devon Cliffs and it has been beautiful.

What surprises me is the lack of austerity. Legoland was £465 for a one-night hotel stay and two-day park visit, and it was packed. Awesome too.

Devon Cliffs was heaving with families eating, drinking and having a good time. People do seem to have plenty of money despite the apparent evil of Osborne.
  • Options

Andy Burnham on ITV news dismissing emergency measures tomorrow as a smokescreen. A bit rich from the man who squandered billions driving down the standards of the English NHS. Remember that phrase "the NHS is safe in Labour's hands". Maybe so but we now know several thousand patients were not!

I still can't get over Burnham totally losing his cool on Sky - extraordinarily defensive, he reminded me of Tony Hayward moaning about wanting his life back just after 13 died at DW Horizon.

His best line was bitching about how Tories were making political capital out of it - and then he launched into a brain dump of accusations about Tory mismanagement of the NHS. It was bizarre.
  • Options
    tim said:

RobD said:

Two months ago!

And it was 9%.

My memory sucks!

• Options
    tim said:

Given that the Labour share is barely moving it would seem to add weight to Cameron's view that he has to drive UKIP down to 5% to stand a chance of keeping his job.

And just two points to go ;)
  • Options
    Ashes 2013: Every true Englishman should pray for an Australian victory at Lord's

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100226379/ashes-2013-every-true-englishman-should-pray-for-an-australian-victory-at-lords/

If Hodges wasn't already suffering from heatstroke he will be after this poll. ;^ )

LOL
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    tim said:

Given that the Labour share is barely moving it would seem to add weight to Cameron's view that he has to drive UKIP down to 5% to stand a chance of keeping his job.

Sounds very doable at the GE.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Interesting things to note (to me anyway)

1) Labour's share of the vote hasn't moved after all the brouhaha over Falkirk and the Unions

2) Is gay marriage ceasing to be an issue, hence the UKIP to Conservative swing

3) Has Lynton Crosby's strategies worked so far? - There was a piece a while back, which saw a two stage tory recovery a) Taking back UKIPers with good messages on Europe and Immigration (Abu Qatada bounce?) and b) the second stage of the recovery is the economy improving - Q2 figures are out in in 9 days time?

Anyone got any ideas what the figure will be? Anthony Wells in the Sunday Times has been tracking for some time the economic optimism is improving a lot recently (more people are less pessimistic)

Is it the economy stupid?
  • Options
    tim said:

An improving economy will draw voters back to the LDs and Labour can look forward to a long dismal retreat.

• Options
    Great sketch on the PAC http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10180174/Sketch-The-prince-who-quacks-like-a-corporation.html

"Madam Chairman said she found the Duchy’s tax affairs “a confused area”; so confused was she that at one point she asked what would happen if the Duchy became king. Nick Smith (Lab, Blaenau Gwent) sought to help by putting things in plain English. “If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and swims like a duck, you sort of assume it’s a duck,” he said. “Given that the Duchy looks like a corporation and quacks like a corporation…”

Personally I have never heard a corporation quack, any more than I have seen a duck float on the stock market. I was starting to feel very unworldly. I felt even more unworldly later when Richard Bacon (Con, South Norfolk) said the Duchy “quacks like a private ducal estate set up to provide an income to the heir to the throne". Oh dear. I’ve never heard a private ducal estate quack either. I must be very out of touch with the upper echelons..."
  • Options
    tim said:

ICM have had UKIP on 19% in May and 7% today.
    I suspect their past voting adjustments are bending under the weight here.

I'd agree with that. Its going to be an interesting election to see how well the polls perform if UKIP are still at the same levels.
  • Options
    Alistair from CityAM said SME confidence was now at a 5yrs high a bit earlier this evening...

Interesting things to note (to me anyway)

1) Labour's share of the vote hasn't moved after all the brouhaha over Falkirk and the Unions

2) Is gay marriage ceasing to be an issue, hence the UKIP to Conservative swing

3) Has Lynton Crosby's strategies worked so far? - There was a piece a while back, which saw a two stage tory recovery a) Taking back UKIPers with good messages on Europe and Immigration (Abu Qatada bounce?) and b) the second stage of the recovery is the economy improving - Q2 figures are out in in 9 days time?

Anyone got any ideas what the figure will be? Anthony Wells in the Sunday Times has been tracking for some time the economic optimism is improving a lot recently (more people are less pessimistic)

Is it the economy stupid?

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    Outstanding poll for the Tories, but probably a rogue, UKIP seems very low compared with other pollsters. ICM sometimes produces odd polls, I remember in 1997 one poll had Major within 5 points of Blair, which proved rather optimistic come election day. However the poll does show what has been clear for a while now, the next election will be decided on whether the UKIP vote sticks with Farage or Cameron can win the mainly Tory defectors back!
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    We will have to see what Mori says before getting too excited
  • Options
    Plato said:
    According to Margaret Hodge property holding companies never pay dividends to their shareholders in order to reduce their tax liabilities. Kinda defeats the object of being a shareholder, does it not?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Plato said:
    According to Margaret Hodge property holding companies never pay dividends to their shareholders in order to reduce their tax liabilities. Kinda defeats the object of being a shareholder, does it not?
    Mrs Hodge's own tax affairs re her family business get remarkably little attention in the media - they pay a rounding error near 0% in corp tax IIRC on a turnover of several billion...
  • Options
    The poll would appear to suggest the tory fightback against UKIP is much more successful than the recent attacks on labour.

We'll just have to see.
  • Options
    Very interesting though probably a rogue poll. Labour figure seems settled around 36 / 37 for now. Though they clearly should be doing better.

One other thing this poll is proving Tim right about Con / UKIP voters.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

Jonathan said:

tim said:

Sounds very doable at the GE.

I agree, the Kipper Surgers always forget about FPTP.
    The question is really whether the 100 UKIP sympathisers on the Tory benches can avoid going batshit crazy next June.

It all depends if they can rally round the 'only Cammie will give you a referendum' message.

The EU elections strategy will be pretty much like this but substituting that referendum for an IN/OUT one. Gullible tory eurosceptics have fallen for it before so he could pull it off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ2n7oMcSi0
    Of course if Crosby and Osbrowne return to the master strategy of banging on about Europe and immigration like they did for the local elections and Eastleigh then they can forget it.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    When the Tories win the popular vote in 2015, don't forget who predicted it first....
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Though it seems unlikely to be accurate being so out of line with all other polls and indicators I'd be delighted to see UKIP wiped out.

Their very presence is an affront and the idea that the vulgarian Farage has any support is perhaps the most depressing feature of the political scene at the moment.

http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvideo/117515/Nigel_Farage_insults_Herman_van_Rompuy_calls_EU_President_a_DAMP_RAG__EurActivcom/
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited July 2013
    'Con 36 Lab 36 LD 13 UKIP 7

Red's mass membership surge?
  • Options
    For my money - even if this is an outlier - what is Labour doing to even be in this position with 2yrs to go? Neck and neck with ICM?

The drop off in Kipper support appears to be a trend here - its a great shame that the Times doesn't do Populus phone polling now as a comparison. MORI IIRC only sample certain-to-vote so its not quite the same type of methodology even though its a phone poll.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    I don't know if ICM have changed methodology at all but for one reason or another there is better retention of 2010 voters for all the top 3 parties, although it does look like a switch back from Ukip.

On the unadjusted figures Con 2010 retention is up from 49% to 63%; Labour 64% to 73%; LD 22% to 35% (June wasn't too different from May in this regard).
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Polling versus Newssense™ anecdote

The row with Unite will be good for Ed...
    A poll by YouGov yesterday, taken after Ed Miliband’s high-profile change in link with the unions, found that 37% of people now think Miliband is too close to the unions, up from 29% last week.

In other words most Britons didn’t pay close attention to the exact nature of Labour’s row with Unite, nor the change in link.

If anything, continuing the row seems to have worked against Labour.
    http://liberalconspiracy.org/2013/07/15/polls-show-labours-unite-row-worked-against-it/
  • Options
    What is Labour doing to even be in this position with 2yrs to go? Neck and neck with ICM?

The real worry for labour is the economy. ITEM today are forecasting 2.2% growth in 2014 and 2.6% in 2015.

Given what has occurred since 2008, that will feel seriously fast - IF it occurs of course
  • Options
    Things looking dire in Spain:

Spain PM took cash payments, court told: sources

An ex-treasurer of Spain's ruling party told a court on Monday he had handed secret cash payments to Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy from a slush fund, judicial sources said.
    The former treasurer of Rajoy's Popular Party, Luis Barcenas, said he handed 25,000 euros ($33,000) in 500-euro notes to the prime minister in March 2010, said sources present in the hearing, who asked not to be named.

http://www.expatica.com/es/news/spanish-news/spain-pm-took-cash-payments-court-told-sources_269700.html
  • Options
    OT I've been looking at the weather tonight and its going to be 88% humidity at 0100 and 18C - urgh.

I may as well lie in the bath as in bed at this rate.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Very interesting though probably a rogue poll. Labour figure seems settled around 36 / 37 for now. Though they clearly should be doing better.

I think you'll find, as in this, that tim is as wrong as can possibly be on all range of subjects.

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited July 2013
    It'll be interesting to see what the IPSOS/Mori political monitor (hopefully due tomorrow) chucks out when put through the Lebo & Norpoth model.

Last month it predicted a 4.7% Tory vote lead and a 16 Tory seat lead in 2015...

(FWIW, it has forecast a Tory vote lead almost without exception since 2010)
  • Options
    Labour councillor lost selection ballot, despite being only candidate
    http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news/news-opinion/neil-elkes-labour-face-little-5068444
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003
    In the immortal words of Aristotle:

One swallow does not a summer make, nor one fine day; similarly one day or brief time of happiness does not make a person entirely happy.

An interesting poll, but no reason to get excited unless it becomes a trend.
  • Options
    New Moderate Tory group launched "Members of the Forty Group are frustrated by what they see as the self-indulgent behaviour of some Tory MPs representing safe seats, whom they accuse of pursuing campaigns which repel voters in the centre ground. ... The Forty Group will counterattack on Monday by publishing a moderate manifesto setting out 40 policy ideas that address a range of social and business issues, but which barely mentions the EU – a central party flashpoint."
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/1dec65a8-ea4b-11e2-b2f4-00144feabdc0,Authorised=false.html?_i_location=http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1dec65a8-ea4b-11e2-b2f4
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    taffys said:

What is Labour doing to even be in this position with 2yrs to go? Neck and neck with ICM?

Making Dan Hodges happy. ;^ )
    Today, Ed Miliband showed that he doesn't want to be Labour leader. He wants to be prime minister

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100225653/today-ed-miliband-showed-that-he-doesnt-want-to-be-labour-leader-he-wants-to-be-prime-minister/
    taffys said:

The real worry for labour is the economy. ITEM today are forecasting 2.2% growth in 2014 and 2.6% in 2015.

Given what has occurred since 2008, that will feel seriously fast - IF it occurs of course

It's a worry for them because Balls and Osbrowne are just about as toxic as each other as the polling fairly consistently shows.

IF there's more polling like this and IF labour start panicking then they might just start to look at Balls as a bit of a dead weight. That the tories could also take the initiative and get rid of their liability doesn't enter into it because Osbrowne is Cammie's chum.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Plato said:
    While, of course, it was entirely right for the Labour government to introduce tax concessions for UK property companies (REITS) in 2006

(nb: the Duchy wouldn't qualify because it isn't a company)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Labour councillor lost selection ballot, despite being only candidate
    http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news/news-opinion/neil-elkes-labour-face-little-5068444

Brilliant

"It seemed a shoe-in for Coun Evans, as the only candidate and one seemingly well-liked and respected by colleagues.

But the grass roots activists had other ideas and voted, I am reliably informed, by seven votes to four, against his selection. One of the four was his fellow councillor Majid Mahmood.

It’s not the worst result in local Labour selections.

One member told that a contestant in another part of the West Midlands got a single vote despite having four family members in the selection meeting.

The West Midlands Labour Party has told me that the selection will now be opened up for new applications and re-run. They said Coun Evans can apply along with anyone else on the approved list of council candidates..."
  • Options
    Plato said:

RobD said:

Plato said:
    Mrs Hodge's own tax affairs re her family business get remarkably little attention in the media - they pay a rounding error near 0% in corp tax IIRC on a turnover of several billion...
    It's a commodity trading company - turnover the wrong figure to look at. I don't know how Stemcor (?) does but wouldn't be surprised to see 2-3% margins on several billion of turnover (i.e. profits in the tens of millions)
  • Options
    tim said:

I think you'll find that Tories talking up immigration and Europe helps Farage

...just like talking up Unions helps Ed.

Oh, wait...
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Remember to switch off the central heating.
    Plato said:

OT I've been looking at the weather tonight and its going to be 88% humidity at 0100 and 18C - urgh.

• Options
    Changes since the ICM December 2012 poll.

Tories +4

Labour -4

LD nc

UKIP nc
  • Options

Depends on the starting point - some of Tim's recent comments (although more Surbiton and IOS, IIRC) weren't accurate.

As a rule of thumb I use:

- first 5% of UKIP support are core Kippers
    - next 10-12% disproportionately hurt the Tories (say 80/20)
    - next 5% much closer to 50/50 between the bigger parties

So ultimately it depends where UKIP support is to determine where the incremental damage is being done
  • Options
    It's a worry for them because Balls and Osbrowne are just about as toxic as each other as the polling fairly consistently shows.

Indeed. As you say there are some mighty big ifs here, but were labour to go through some sort of dip, then Ed B might be vulnerable. Ed M is certainly ruthless enough.
  • Options
    Plato said:

I always sleep in the nude, it's far more comfortable!
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

When the Tories win the popular vote in 2015, don't forget who predicted it first....

yes it was me and you all laughed as you did when I predicted the LibDems would likely win around 50 seats in 2010 when you were all going crazy predicting 80-100+ at the height of Cleggism.

• Options

RodCrosby said:

yes it was me and you all laughed as you did when I predicted the LibDems would likely win around 50 seats in 2010 when you were all going crazy predicting 80-100+ at the height of Cleggism.

Cleggasm!

LibDems reneging on Student Fees would be a "Cleggism" :)
  • Options

Are you enjoying Wee Eck's sudden conversion to "Separation-lite", or Status-Quo-Max as he prefers to call it?
  • Options
    A rogue poll is one you don't like...
    A Labour source last night said the poll "feels outside the margin".

"Polls come and go but it's fair to point out in the last few days we have seen leads of 11, 7, 11, 8 and 8 points," the source added.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalists/rowena-mason/10181134/Tories-draw-neck-and-neck-with-Labour-for-first-time-in-a-year.html
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Scott_P said:

Are you enjoying Wee Eck's sudden conversion to "Separation-lite", or Status-Quo-Max as he prefers to call it?
    I've recently noticed Salmond's Rule of Fives ;

Five Unions
    Five Pensions
    Five Bellies
    Five-course Suppers
    Five hundred thousand pound expenses paid blow-out at the Ryder Cup
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Scott_P said:

This is a good poll for the tories Scotty_P but perhaps you should calm down and stop babbling incoherently. Or is this a prelude to you predicting yet another another scottish tory surge?

How big is it going to be this time? :)
  • Options
    Plato - Indeed, also seems the Milibands' are not the only Labour family split by politics!
  • Options
    According to HMG the IndyRef is already done and dusted, and 'No' won!

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/coalition-claims-it-has-won-battle-for-no-vote-in-referendum.21607716

Will Paddy Power pay out to lucky 'No' backers already?
  • Options
    In light of this poll, just remember this poll from last October.

The Panelbase poll of nearly 1,000 Scots for The Sunday Times and Real Radio Scotland found that support for independence stands at 37%, while 45% are opposed and 17% are undecided.

But when asked how they would vote in the 2014 referendum if they believed the following year’s UK general election would lead to a Tory-led government or another Tory-Lib Dem coalition, support for independence surges.

The poll found that 52% would be likely to vote Yes under that scenario while 40% said they would be likely to vote No and 8% are unsure.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Stuart Dickson - Concerning, indeed Rajoy seems even weaker than Hollande at the moment especially with these new allegations. Rajoy only became PM after losing 2 consecutive previous elections, is that a record? Aznar, who in my view was the best Spanish PM since post-Franco democracy, has even hinted, like Sarko, he may run again at the next election!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Quincel said:

Remember, the 4 polls yesterday all showed a very different picture to this. One swallow doesn't make a summer.

But two swallows does make a girlfriend.

Sorry, I'll get my coat.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Salmond is campaigning on the centre ground. Darling is focussing on getting the core vote out.

I wonder where we've seen that pattern before?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_1997
  • Options

In light of this poll, just remember this poll from last October.

Golly! Well I never. Last October was the first anyone ever realised that. ;^ )

*chortle*
  • Options
    Differences between ICM and Populus online

Labour -2

Tories +5

LD no difference

UKIP -3
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Tim

'I think you'll find that Tories talking up immigration and Europe helps Farage'

I think you'll find that Red being out of step with 70% of voters on the benefits cap that's helping Dave.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

I think you'll find that Red being out of step with 70% of voters on the benefits cap that's helping Dave.

Liam Byrne taking to the airwaves complaining that the cap is not tough enough is another stroke of genius.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    One may only wonder how far Ed will take Labour down by May 2015 ....

Tick tock .... tick tock
  • Options
    NOM is just about to overtake LAB MAJ as FAV.

Best prices - next UK GE - overall majority

Hung parliament 13/8 (Lad)
    Lab majority 13/8 (Betfair)
    Con majority 4/1 (various)
  • Options
    JackW said:

One may only wonder how far Ed will take Labour down by May 2015 ....

Tick tock .... tick tock

Governments lose elections. Oppositions don't win them.
This discussion has been closed.