Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Today’s autumn statement is the first big Treasury event since

SystemSystem Posts: 11,018
edited November 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Today’s autumn statement is the first big Treasury event since GE2005 when Osborne has not been Chancellor or Shadow

Very best wishes to my friend @PHammondMP as he delivers his first Autumn Statement today & helps UK prepare for challenges ahead

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,859
    edited November 2016
    George Osborne ‏@George_Osborne 4h4 hours ago
    Very best wishes to my friend @PHammondMP as he delivers his first Autumn Statement today & helps UK prepare for challenges ahead

(No money Left)
  • Options
    2nd like Hammond
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    Who?
  • Options
    Yesterday's borrowing figures were better than expected. What I don't know is whether that more positive understanding of, in particular, tax receipts, will form part of the OBR forecast.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990
    (pointless question time):
    PMQ's; what are the yellow lanyards that Grant (the first questioner) and another Labour MP appear to be wearing? Security passes?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2016
    When something motivates you to speak up there are options for what you say:
    1. Just say what you want to say, get it off your chest. Emote.
    2. Think a bit about your audience, tailor your emoting a bit to them.
    3. Think what actual outcomes or actions you wish to induce from your audience and tailor your words logically and precisely to optimise the chances that that is what you'll get. No emoting at all. But it may SEEM that way.

Lefties and Hillary C are always in box 1. You're a racist, Trump's a douchebag, nobody decent can vote Trump, etc, etc. It feels awesome to emote. It's also electorally utterly counterproductive. The Deplorables simply hear 'you hate me too'. Hers was a 100% box 1 campaign.

Trump gives me every impression of living entirely in box 3. He's a zen master of trolling and chain-yanking. I think his 'gaffes' and tweets are very carefully thought through. The bien-pensant crowd misunderstimate him at their peril (to quote another one they misunderestimated!). Trump's was a 100% box 3 campaign
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    @patrick We're in total agreement re your last point on FPT
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Not many comments this morning. Have all the other pb regulars been exposed as Philip Hammond's SpAds?

It's come to something when an Autumn Statement is one of the duller political days of the year. Phillip Hammond notwithstanding.
    Mind you, under George Osborne, the autumn statement morphed into a second budget. Did that happen under Gordon Brown? It all seems so long ago.
    Brown called it the pre-budget report, he introduced it. Before that the chancellor only made an annual statement to Parliament, the Budget.
  • Options
    FPT in response to people saying the 'herd' (thought that word had gone) on PB are wrong.

I would strongly suggest that anyone who reads the analysis here and loses money isn't reading very clearly. I supported the losing side in both those big events but won several times my total stake money. Remember that the odds were very long against both events so you could still think the losing side more likely to win and think the value bet is on the other side. That's how gambling works. I would think the PB community is well up on the year from political bets.

Hell, I'm even up on the gee gees.

Though my biggest winner has been fantasy football!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

PMQ's; what are the yellow lanyards that Grant (the first questioner) and another Labour MP appear to be wearing? Security passes?

Yes, but the yellow lanyards are SNP branded
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    When will Corbin give with his "Phyllis from Bolton contacted me with...."?
  • Options

Yesterday's borrowing figures were better than expected. What I don't know is whether that more positive understanding of, in particular, tax receipts, will form part of the OBR forecast.

I plugged the October PSF into my own model and it spit out 0.3% growth for October alone, that is also close to the ONS rate for September. If the economy is anywhere near that strong then the chancellor may have a lot of room for manoeuvre.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

FPT in response to people saying the 'herd' (thought that word had gone) on PB are wrong.

Also worth pointing out that Betfair, the largest political betting markets in history were "wrong", as was the the popular vote in the US.

To claim PB was a wrong bubble is, in a word, wrong
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Yes, but the yellow lanyards are SNP branded
    Ooops. Wrong party then. ;)
  • Options
    Corbyn coming across a little shouty.
  • Options
    Jezza murdering May over NHS/Sovial Care
  • Options
    Ma y err errr err is no Dave
  • Options
    Patrick said:

3. Think what actual outcomes or actions you wish to induce from your audience and tailor your words logically and precisely to optimise the chances that that is what you'll get. No emoting at all. But it may SEEM that way.

Lefties and Hillary C are always in box 1. You're a racist, Trump's a douchebag, nobody decent can vote Trump, etc, etc. It feels awesome to emote. It's also electorally utterly counterproductive. The Deplorables simply hear 'you hate me too'. Hers was a 100% box 1 campaign.

Trump gives me every impression of living entirely in box 3. He's a zen master of trolling and chain-yanking. I think his 'gaffes' and tweets are very carefully thought through. The bien-pensant crowd misunderstimate him at their peril (to quote another one they misunderestimated!). Trump's was a 100% box 3 campaign

Got it - so when Trump openly mocked a disabled person in front of thousands of people at a rally, what was he trying to achieve there? What emotion was he appealing to? And what is he seeking to achieve by placing white supremacists into his administration and policy advice teams?

• Options
    @JohnJCrace: The first 10 places on the government front bench are remainers. A clue to the Brexit damage limitation of the Autumn statement?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Also worth pointing out that Betfair, the largest political betting markets in history were "wrong", as was the the popular vote in the US.

The white supwemacist waycist won. Get over it.

• Options

And I had a bet on him doing so
  • Options

Until he attacked the NHS for requiring passport identification - massively popular in UK
  • Options

'Sovial care'? A blending of Soviet and social? ;)

But yes, Corbyn won that IMO. There appears to be a trend I haven't noticed before: he starts off in his usual voice, then raises the anger towards the end.

He doesn't quite pull it off, but it's more effective than his previous efforts.
  • Options

Until he attacked the NHS for requiring passport identification - massively popular in UK

https://twitter.com/telepolitics/status/801398006981525505
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Lefties and Hillary C are always in box 1. You're a racist, Trump's douchebag, nobody decent can vote Trump, etc, etc. It feels awesome to emote. It's also electorally utterly counterproductive. The Deplorables simply hear 'you hate me too'. Hers was a 100% box 1 campaign.

Glad you reposted that - I honestly can't understand how smart people here can't see it. It smacks me in the face everytime he does it.

Every tweet is designed to distract/dead cat/create a trap/troll/cause an emotional response.

And yet 90% of Leftists and NeverTrumpers fall straight into outrage/call him stupid.

Their entire reaction is predicated on their evidence free comfort blanket that a billionaire property developer/14 series reality star [how many last that long?]/non-politico killed off 16 professional rivals and now POTUS Elect ...is a nitwit.

Yeah, right. It's all some weird thing that's entirely unconnected with his talent for connecting with people/business nous over 70yrs. And they think they're smarter sat in the chairs of their cubicles - good grief.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    I see Corbo is trying to help the poor ailing NHS Crisis, who has been knocked off the front pages this year because actual, rather than imaginary or hypothetical, things have been happening.....
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Nikki Haley has been named US ambassador to the UN. A decent pick.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Advice to live by, SO. We have a tough 8 years to come and the best way to deal with it is to stop fighting yesterday's battles.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    edited November 2016
    MP_SE said:

Bit of an underpromotion IMO, but she might be able to make more of it
  • Options
    Strong support there for the referendum result by May.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Patrick said:

Lefties and Hillary C are always in box 1. You're a racist, Trump's douchebag, nobody decent can vote Trump, etc, etc. It feels awesome to emote. It's also electorally utterly counterproductive. The Deplorables simply hear 'you hate me too'. Hers was a 100% box 1 campaign.

Glad you reposted that - I honestly can't understand how smart people here can't see it. It smacks me in the face everytime he does it.

Every tweet is designed to distract/dead cat/create a trap/troll/cause an emotional response.

And yet 90% of Leftists and NeverTrumpers fall straight into outrage/call him stupid.

Their entire reaction is predicated on their evidence free comfort blanket that a billionaire property developer/14 series reality star [how many last that long?]/non-politico killed off 16 professional rivals and now POTUS Elect ...is a nitwit.

Yeah, right. It's all some weird thing that's entirely unconnected with his talent for connecting with people/business nous over 70yrs. And they think they're smarter sat in the chairs of their cubicles - good grief.

He's clearly smart. He is also a crook, a sexual predator, a friend to white supremacists and anti-semites, a mocker of the disabled and a liar. In your world, that is not a problem. You like him for it. But other people don't. You are just going to have to accept that and live with it. Not everyone snuggles up to race-baiters.

• Options

But yes, Corbyn won that IMO. There appears to be a trend I haven't noticed before: he starts off in his usual voice, then raises the anger towards the end.

He doesn't quite pull it off, but it's more effective than his previous efforts.
    would agree Jezza like Ed Balls stilll not great at PMQs but improving

May still aint getting there the contrast with Dave is stark
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited November 2016
    Afternoon all. - Autumn Statement kicks off at 12.30 ? TIA.
  • Options

Agreed, he is doing better. The appalling failure of the NHS to meet agreed productivity targets added to the failure of this Govt to tackle the bed blocking in the NHS. On bed blocking they have had enough time but Cameron/Osborne squandered the time and Hunt and his people singularly failed to get it at the top of the action pile across Govt.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

And crucially, Betfair remained wrong for several hours after PB worked out which way it was going.

Even before the polls closed, I seem to remember that the general consensus was that the odds for Leave were nuts even if Remain was more likely than not to win.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Patrick said:

No, it isn't.

Not many on here have called Trump a nitwit or dumb. The attacks are on very different aspects of his character, which you appear to gloss over (perhaps because you agree with them?)
  • Options
    Of course, he played the English card in precisely the opposite way during the EU referendum.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

Advice to live by, SO. We have a tough 8 years to come and the best way to deal with it is to stop fighting yesterday's battles.

I will call out race-baiters where I find them. That is not yesterday's battle. That is an ongoing one. The fact that you are one of the few righties on here who has forcefully criticised Trump for his embrace of white supremacists and anti-Semites is genuinely shocking to me. I made the mistake of believing that when Corbyn was quite correctly being given stick for his fondness for anti-Semites it was being done from a position of principle not partisanship. You live and learn, I guess.

• Options

would agree Jezza like Ed Balls stilll not great at PMQs but improving

May still aint getting there the contrast with Dave is stark
    She does need to go for an early GE otherwise her Govt is likely to fall apart before 2020.

On the subject of Osborne. His ratings when he was in office as a "Leader" were in the toilet. 2% regarded him as a Leader. His patronage has ended and he has a long line of Conservative MPs that are against him.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

And I had a bet on him doing so

I think most of us did, but collectively we probably made more on Brexit.

• Options
    @BethRigby: The three #Brexiteers - Davis, Johnson, Fox - nowhere near Hammond for #PMQs & #AS. "No accident" texts one MP to me
  • Options

Indeed. As noted earlier, once PBers "knew" the market was wrong, killings were made
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Do you have a linky? Not seeing it yet in my timeline
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413

Of course, he played the English card in precisely the opposite way during the EU referendum.

The fact that he was already talking about 'playing the ______ card' when only a lowly ppc was highly telling - that he was already a manipulative little turd who wasn't nearly as clever as he thought he was.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Bookmarking this thread for nine years time.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

MP_SE said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38076114
  • Options

I will call out race-baiters where I find them. That is not yesterday's battle. That is an ongoing one. The fact that you are one of the few righties on here who has forcefully criticised Trump for his embrace of white supremacists and anti-Semites is genuinely shocking to me. I made the mistake of believing that when Corbyn was quite correctly being given stick for his fondness for anti-Semites it was being done from a position of principle not partisanship. You live and learn, I guess.

The only way to win in the future is to change minds and listen to those who are suffering. Trump is not the cause, he is a symptom. That he has chosen to align himself with unsavoury and some downright racists is beyond lamentable, but as I said no use in fighting yesterday's battles. Especially using the same tactics that lost. Using language like deplorables, racist and other liberal go to phrases has, IMO, lead to Trump as much as economic decline. The same is true here for all of those Northern industrial towns that backed Brexit.

Fighting tomorrow's battles against the same opponents will require new tactics and much more humility than Clinton's camp showed.
  • Options
    I'm waiting to here if they;'re funding investigations in the Oxford to Cambridge Expressway and corresponding railway in the autumn statement. Not only because it's going to heavily affect my area, but because it'll indicate that the infrastructure commission has some heft (the NIC recommended significant initial funding for them).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,923
    I'm not watching it but I backed Hammond to be the next CoTE because he is precisely the sort of dull accountant this country needs at the top job.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Patrick said:

He's clearly smart. He is also a crook, a sexual predator, a friend to white supremacists and anti-semites, a mocker of the disabled and a liar. In your world, that is not a problem. You like him for it. But other people don't. You are just going to have to accept that and live with it. Not everyone snuggles up to race-baiters.

Carry on believing what suits you, Hillary lost. I could expend pixels listing her failings too.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Pulpstar said:

I'm not watching it but I backed Hammond to be the next CoTE because he is precisely the sort of dull accountant this country needs at the top job.

You shouldn't confuse being dull for being competent.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The only way to win in the future is to change minds and listen to those who are suffering. Trump is not the cause, he is a symptom. That he has chosen to align himself with unsavoury and some downright racists is beyond lamentable, but as I said no use in fighting yesterday's battles. Especially using the same tactics that lost. Using language like deplorables, racist and other liberal go to phrases has, IMO, lead to Trump as much as economic decline. The same is true here for all of those Northern industrial towns that backed Brexit.

Fighting tomorrow's battles against the same opponents will require new tactics and much more humility than Clinton's camp showed.

I completely agree. But this is PB and minds are not going to be changed. Truths, though, can and should be spoken.

• Options

The fact that he was already talking about 'playing the ______ card' when only a lowly ppc was highly telling - that he was already a manipulative little turd who wasn't nearly as clever as he thought he was.
    I know you've been in Moscow for the last twenty years and not quite up to with British politics, but at the time he wasn't just a lowly PPC, he was working for the Tory leader at the time.
  • Options
    @SkyNewsBreak: Thomas Mair has been found guilty of the murder of Labour MP Jo Cox in her constituency surgery in Birstall near Leeds a week before EU vote
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2016
    Scott_P said:

@SkyNewsBreak: Thomas Mair has been found guilty of the murder of Labour MP Jo Cox in her constituency surgery in Birstall near Leeds a week before EU vote

Big surprise. The evidence was overwhelming.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

One of the best managers I've ever worked for was exceptionally dull. He wouldn't do any of the usual teambuilding b/s that many managers go in for. But he would listen without talking except to get clarifications, and make firm decisions. He - and in fact his entire family - were utterly grey and bland.

I'd work for him again like a shot.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

You shouldn't confuse being dull for being competent.
    Agreed. At the FO Hammond was quite clearly captured by his officials. He is showing signs of the same at the Treasury. We will shortly find out. Osborne spent so little time on his department that the Treasury got used to slipping through some truly awful and inept budget measures, leading to several omnishambles budgets.
  • Options

I'm waiting to here if they;'re funding investigations in the Oxford to Cambridge Expressway and corresponding railway in the autumn statement. Not only because it's going to heavily affect my area, but because it'll indicate that the infrastructure commission has some heft (the NIC recommended significant initial funding for them).

Crossrail 2 for me!!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Not even the opinion pollsters will be surprised at that verdict.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

And crucially, Betfair remained wrong for several hours after PB worked out which way it was going.

Even before the polls closed, I seem to remember that the general consensus was that the odds for Leave were nuts even if Remain was more likely than not to win.

The fixed odds were ridiculous for a two horse race which almost every single poll indicated was extremely tight. I got prices of 5-1 and 4-1 on Leave only two or three weeks before the referendum.

• Options
    Tim Farron gets a question at PMWQs

"Is he still here?" shouts a wag
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I completely agree. But this is PB and minds are not going to be changed. Truths, though, can and should be spoken.

Sometimes we do change our minds, actually. Or, at the very least, respect another's perspective that then informs our own.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

One of the best managers I've ever worked for was exceptionally dull. He wouldn't do any of the usual teambuilding b/s that many managers go in for. But he would listen without talking except to get clarifications, and make firm decisions. He - and in fact his entire family - were utterly grey and bland.

I'd work for him again like a shot.
    As an accountant myself I'm very interested in seeing what Hammond does. There's a lot of changes which are possible in our tax and revenue system to both simply, make fairer and raise more revenue.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

You'd be surprised, I know three or four people who changed their minds on Brexit because of discussions on here! I actually put those arguments to use in the campaign and on doorsteps in Hammersmith and Shepherds Bush and they were extremely effective, we found that people who were on the fence that had heard the PB Leaver arguments were more certain leavers once we recontacted them.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,390
    edited November 2016
    Scott_P said:

Indeed. As noted earlier, once PBers "knew" the market was wrong, killings were made
    As the chap who edited PB on the evening of GE 2015, Brexit, and the US Presidential election 2016, you'll notice my threads I called a Tory majority, a Leave victory, and Trump as POTUS well before Betfair and the mainstream media.

I still think a Tory majority at nearly 2/1 on Betfair after Nuneaton was a reflection of punters watching the likes of the BBC/ITV/Sky News and listening to the talking heads.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

MaxPB said:

Given you think Trump is a race-baiter [despite being rather feted by Blacks for decades before running for POTUS] - how do you explain that significantly more Muslims, Latinos and Blacks voted for him than any other GOP candidate? Oh and apparently gays too?

Were they too stupid - or more informed than you? I see your views as rather peculiar and flying in the face of US residents that had a vote.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

As the chap who edited PB on the evening of GE 2015, Brexit, and the US Presidential election 2016, you'll not my threads you'll notice I called a Tory majority, a Leave victory, and Trump as POTUS well before Betfair and the mainstream media.

I still think a Tory majority at nearly 2/1 on Betfair after Nuneaton was a reflection of punters watching the likes of the BBC/ITV/Sky News and listening to the talking heads.
    Yes, after Nuneaton came in I think all of PB piled into Con Majority.
  • Options

Patrick said:

Got it - so when Trump openly mocked a disabled person in front of thousands of people at a rally, what was he trying to achieve there? What emotion was he appealing to? And what is he seeking to achieve by placing white supremacists into his administration and policy advice teams?
    Don't get me wrong - Trump is a scuzzbucket. He's just a much cleverer scuzzbucket than nearly everyone gives him credit for. All politicians are scuzzbuckets to some extent or other. Vote the buggers out! In my opinion Clinton's scuzziness was worse but different.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,271
    Osborne is finished, period.
  • Options
    Why is PMQs getting so long?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

Big surprise. The evidence was overwhelming.
    Outcome was never in doubt, but justice has been done and seen to be, which is important.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Tim Farron gets a question at PMWQs

"Is he still here?" shouts a wag

He is becoming a joke figure
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Osborne is finished, period.

Wheras judging by todays TM performance she is on one
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

[
    Given you think Trump is a race-baiter [despite being rather feted by Blacks for decades before running for POTUS] - how do you explain that significantly more Muslims, Latinos and Blacks voted for him than any other GOP candidate? Oh and apparently gays too?

Were they too stupid - or more informed than you? I see your views as rather peculiar and flying in the face of US residents that had a vote.

Hillary was a very poor candidate. People vote for a variety of reasons. But that does not stop Trump being a racebaiter, I'm afraid. There is a reason why he was endorsed by the KKK.

• Options
    Hammond seems nervous
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

I would cut SO some slack. I think most people would become increasingly hysterical if they found themselves on the losing side of pretty much every vote and leadership contest since 2010.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,835

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

Other people can speak for themselves. Personally, I feel pretty detached from the politics of a foreign country, whereas I don't feel so detached from politics in my own country. Corbyn is a threat to me and mine in a way that a foreign politician isn't. Unquestionably, Trump has said some awful things, but that's not going to alter the result.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

The problem isn't Trump who I don't think cares about race, sexuality or anything like that. It's the people who have since been picked forbbig jobs. Jeff Sessions is a spectacularly poor pick, there is compelling evidence that he is prejudiced against blacks. Bannon seems like a caricature who sings Onward, Christian Soldiers to his children as lullabies.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

You'd be surprised, I know three or four people who changed their minds on Brexit because of discussions on here! I actually put those arguments to use in the campaign and on doorsteps in Hammersmith and Shepherds Bush and they were extremely effective, we found that people who were on the fence that had heard the PB Leaver arguments were more certain leavers once we recontacted them.

Sure - that is different. PB is a superb resource for understanding your opponent's views and for developing arguments to counter them.

• Options

Crossrail 2 for me!!
    Good luck with that! Though I'm slightly concerned that we might have too many large infrastructure projects going on at the same time for good, skilled workers to be available. Crossrail will have ended, but well have HS2 phase 1, HS2 phase 2, whatever HS3 is, and possibly even Crossrail 2, all ongoing at the same time.
  • Options
    Oh.. Osborne tribute!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,390
    edited November 2016
    Huzzah for Phil Hammond praising Osborne and dissing Boris.

Clever of Ozzy and Ken Clarke to be sat together today.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    MP_SE said:

She could hardly be worse than Samantha Power.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

[

Hillary was a very poor candidate. People vote for a variety of reasons. But that does not stop Trump being a racebaiter, I'm afraid. There is a reason why he was endorsed by the KKK.

If you knew your political history you would know that Reagan was also endorsed by the KKK. So the fact they endorsed Trump is not particularly significant.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Patrick said:

Lefties and Hillary C are always in box 1. You're a racist, Trump's a douchebag, nobody decent can vote Trump, etc, etc. It feels awesome to emote. It's also electorally utterly counterproductive. The Deplorables simply hear 'you hate me too'. Hers was a 100% box 1 camp

MaxPB said:

The idea that the word racist should be retired is daft... We should just accept now that the racist tactics of republicans to disenfranchise minorities etc. is all okay?

Trump got about as many votes as you would expect a poor republican candidate to get albeit with an efficient distribution. Clinton underperformed massively... The lesson I take from this disastrous defeat is that I massively underestimated how much baggage she was carrying... And also how badly being establishment would play even though people seem to like Obama.

• Options
    GREAT Bojo jibe there!
  • Options

Crossrail 2 for me!!
    Good luck with that! Though I'm slightly concerned that we might have too many large infrastructure projects going on at the same time for good, skilled workers to be available. Crossrail will have ended, but well have HS2 phase 1, HS2 phase 2, whatever HS3 is, and possibly even Crossrail 2, all ongoing at the same time.
    Yeah, there aren't enough of us. Which is perhaps why we should talk ;-)
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Speaker Bercow is either too inept to control PMQs, or likes his weekly limelight too much?
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

I would cut SO some slack. I think most people would become increasingly hysterical if they found themselves on the losing side of pretty much every vote and leadership contest since 2010.
    Correctly predicted, of course!
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

MP_SE said:

UN envoy not ambassador.

• Options

Scott_P said:

As the chap who edited PB on the evening of GE 2015, Brexit, and the US Presidential election 2016, you'll notice my threads I called a Tory majority, a Leave victory, and Trump as POTUS well before Betfair and the mainstream media.

There's nowhere else to be but pb.com on an election night.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I changed my view of gay marriage from chary to okay with it.

A solidly made argument can change opinions - mud slinging and playground name-calling just entrenches positions.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I'm not a fan of Bercow, but he believes in getting through the list of questions regardless of the time taken. I think that's a good thing for democracy.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

[

If you knew your political history you would know that Regan was also endorsed by the KKK. So the fact they endorsed Trump is not particularly significant.
    If only you KNEW your political history, look at how Reagan repudiated that support from the KKK and contrast it with Trump's silence.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    MP_SE said:

PlatoSaid said:

MP_SE said:

UN envoy not ambassador.

Link says ambassador.
  • Options
    Growth in 2016 higher than forecast in March. How often has that been said at the Autumn Statement?
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

[

If you knew your political history you would know that Regan was also endorsed by the KKK. So the fact they endorsed Trump is not particularly significant.

I am not sure that Reagan's victories led to the celebrations among white supremacists and anti-semites that we have seen since 8th November. But if they did, the difference between Reagan and Trump is that Reagan did not appoint white supremacists into key positions in his policy team or his administration. Trump has. I also don't remember Reagan openly mocking the disabled in front of thousands of people at rallies, being exposed as a serial sexual predator or of setting up "universities" designed to fleece ordinary Americans of thousands of dollars.

• Options

PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

[

That final sentence has stuck you on my Stupid Useful Idiot List.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited November 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I changed my view of gay marriage from chary to okay with it.

A solidly made argument can change opinions - mud slinging and playground name-calling just entrenches positions.
    Yet you were happy to repost easily disprovable, libelous lies about Clinton you read on Twitter.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    MaxPB said:

PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

The problem isn't Trump who I don't think cares about race, sexuality or anything like that. It's the people who have since been picked forbbig jobs. Jeff Sessions is a spectacularly poor pick, there is compelling evidence that he is prejudiced against blacks. Bannon seems like a caricature who sings Onward, Christian Soldiers to his children as lullabies.
    I like Onward, Christian Soldiers.
This discussion has been closed.