Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview: November 24th 2016

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited November 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview: November 24th 2016

Tadley South (Con defence) on Basingstoke and Deane Result of council at last election (2015): Conservatives 32, Labour 17, Liberal Democrats 7, Independents 4 (Conservative majority of 4) Result of ward at last election (2015): Conservative 1,787 (61%), Liberal Democrat 674 (23%), Labour 454 (16%) EU Referendum Result: REMAIN 48,257 (48%) LEAVE 52,071 (52%) on a turnout of 78% Candidates duly nominated: Claire Ballard (Lab), Kerri Carruthers (Con), Phil Heath (UKIP), Jo Slimin (Lib Dem)

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First like LEAVE
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited November 2016
    Second! ...like Remain and Clinton.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T:

BBC4's vintage Top of the Pops run starting in 1976 five years ago has reached 9th September 1982:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcfour
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/801875575434579968

Could actually be encouraging if true. *IF* there is willingness to find an acceptable compromise (e.g. preferential market access and freedom to negotiate trade deals with third parties, in exchange for chunky financial contributions) then it could allow Britain to leave quickly, provide certainty for us, and allow the EU27 to concentrate on their other problems. A final deal could then be worked out over the course of a few years.

However, of course, the devil is in the detail...
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Probably already mentioned in the hundreds of posts today I haven't read but........

Head of the European Parliament Martin Schulz quits ‘so he can challenge Angela Merkel in next year’s German elections

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3967632/Head-European-Parliament-Martin-Schulz-quits-challenge-Angela-Merkel-year-s-German-elections.html#ixzz4QxTy6rtE

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    First like Brexit.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Jonathan said:

First like Brexit.

A price worth paying.
  • Options
    Tadley is near me. Should be an easy Con hold.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Some LibDem opportunities tonight
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    IanB2 said:

Some LibDem opportunities tonight

Why? Is it Rent Boy Thursday? Do you get discounts?
  • Options
    Thanks for the thread Harry.
    Also thanks to the PBer who said about the Cat S60 the other day.
    Just bought one, love it.
  • Options

Could actually be encouraging if true. *IF* there is willingness to find an acceptable compromise (e.g. preferential market access and freedom to negotiate trade deals with third parties, in exchange for chunky financial contributions) then it could allow Britain to leave quickly, provide certainty for us, and allow the EU27 to concentrate on their other problems. A final deal could then be worked out over the course of a few years.

Sounds more like the Hotel California transition deal to me.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Carlisle Eastbourne and Pendle could all be significant* markets

* well as significant as parish council results get
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited November 2016

Sounds more like the Hotel California transition deal to me.
    Again, the devil is in the detail. Depending on the nature of the deal, it might not matter too much if our seat in the departure lounge becomes permanent.

(Although that much said, if the EU itself fails to survive all of the other challenges it has to deal with then the point becomes moot...)
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Some really good by-elections tonight. Could have Lib surges, Labour weaknesses, Tory firmness, UKIP crashes. It could all happen. Hope they are quick results.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,718

Third parties won't be interested in signing trade deals until the final EU settlement. It would likely also affect WTO negotiations. The UK has to decide whether to (a) commit to the single market, subject to EU agreement; (b) crash out of the system, which will be painful and complicate WTO negotiations that substantially involve the EU as well as other parties; (c) negotiate a permanent alternative deal that the EU claims it is not minded to do at this time.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    The new Marina and associated new housing has made Sovereign ward in Eastbourne much safer for the Conservatives in the last 10 years . Cannot see any interest in the Carlisle ward there was a by election here in September safe Labour hold .
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    A Lib Dem win in South Somerset will give them overall control of the council as they now already have 30 seats out of the 60 ..
  • Options

A Lib Dem win in South Somerset will give them overall control of the council has they now already have 30 seats out of the 60 ..

:+1:
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    If she hadn't stood, Clinton would have probably won WI, MI and PA! Heart of stone etc.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Pulpstar said:
    Trump isn't obsessed with race? well it's a view I guess.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Turn Hill sounds interesting. A good show in the West Country would be very encouraging for the LDs.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    nunu said:

Pulpstar said:
    He isn't. That much is clear.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited November 2016
    It looks like the French security forces foiled a very large terrorist attack.

Isis terror cell 'planned to attack Disneyland Paris and Champs Elysees Christmas market on 1 December'
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/isis-terror-plot-paris-france-disneyland-champs-elysees-christmas-market-a7436441.html

They also planned to target France's counter-intelligence services hub, the police crime-investigation headquarters and the nearby high court building, a source close to the inquiry told Reuters.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

A Lib Dem win in South Somerset will give them overall control of the council as they now already have 30 seats out of the 60 ..

Go back to your wards and prepare for local government? :D
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:
    Agreed, Trump doesn't care about race. But as one of the most cynical politicians of recent times he is happy to play the race card for all it's worth, if it will benefit him.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    FF43 said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:
    Agreed, Trump doesn't care about race. But as one of the most cynical politicians of recent times he is happy to play the race card for all it's worth, if it will benefit him.
    And telling African American's they're insulting Obama's legacy if they don't vote for Hillary isn't playing the race card?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    FF43 said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:
    he is a racist.
  • Options
    Take a look at @LouisAlexDore's Tweet: https://twitter.com/LouisAlexDore/status/801725567963897856?s=09

That £350 million is going to have to appear, or it will be the #Edstone of the next GE.
  • Options
    nunu said:

FF43 said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:
    he is a racist.
    No, I just think he doesn't give a fuck.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Time to block anymore IMF money for Europe.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    If he doesn't plan a new life there, he at least enjoys holidaying, as it were.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    nunu said:

Pulpstar said:
    I don't think he cares about race particularly.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2016
    glw said:

It looks like the French security forces foiled a very large terrorist attack.

Isis terror cell 'planned to attack Disneyland Paris and Champs Elysees Christmas market on 1 December'
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/isis-terror-plot-paris-france-disneyland-champs-elysees-christmas-market-a7436441.html

They also planned to target France's counter-intelligence services hub, the police crime-investigation headquarters and the nearby high court building, a source close to the inquiry told Reuters.

Also makes sense why we have had at least once, perhaps twice, in the past few months the authorities get very jumpy at Disney land and shut it down.

Edit: A total of 418 people have been arrested in France for suspected links to terror networks since the start of the year, including 43 people this month alone.

Jeez...
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    nunu said:

Pulpstar said:
    Some of his supporters perhaps are. Don't confuse the two.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

Take a look at @LouisAlexDore's Tweet: https://twitter.com/LouisAlexDore/status/801725567963897856?s=09

That £350 million is going to have to appear, or it will be the #Edstone of the next GE.

Life is beyond money. And £58 billion is probably wrong and a pin prick if right. We're always overdrawn!
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

With respect, who is Louis Alexander Dore? If the majority of the print media doesn't major on this, will it be one of those Twitter things which will change everything? But doesn't.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I am a little bit confused by the kiddy fiddling scandal in football...The main guy was done for his crimes 20 years ago and then done again and again...but only now once he has served all his sentences and is a free man, has this scandal becoming a thing.

Why? Saville?
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited November 2016
    MaxPB said:

nunu said:

FF43 said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:
    he is a racist.
    No, I just think he doesn't give a fuck.
    I believe Trump dated a mixed race model back in the early 2000s (if I remember correctly). There was some bizarre argument on the Howard Stern show between Trump and her ex over who she was dating. She phoned in and confirmed the other guy had been ditched. That doesn't mean he isn't a racist though. Just another weird Trump story.
  • Options
    Dixie said:

Life is beyond money. And £58 billion is probably wrong and a pin prick if right. We're always overdrawn!
    Nonetheless get used to this meme. £350m for the NHS had better appear before 2020...
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited November 2016
    The press are more likely to pick up on this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38091965

"The £3,000 allegedly came from a bank account set up by another man who had previously left the UK to fight with the self-styled Islamic State group (IS) in Syria. Most of it was from benefits payments, the court heard."

The welfare state - funding terrorism.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

I am a little bit confused by the kiddy fiddling scandal in football...The main guy was done for his crimes 20 years ago and then done again and again...but only now once he has served all his sentences and is a free man, has this scandal becoming a thing.

Why? Saville?

This morning some FA bod suggested there might be tens of victims of sexual abuse within the world of football. You would think that in 2016 people would be clued up, but apparently not.
  • Options
    glw said:

Why? Saville?

This morning some FA bod suggested there might be tens of victims of sexual abuse within the world of football. You would think that in 2016 people would be clued up, but apparently not.
    Just find it all a bit odd. It wasn't a secret this guy got done, it was in the press, then he got done again and it was in the press again...but nobody seemed to think to investigate further. And two of the players related to the Crewe scout were part of the original conviction, so they aren't new claims.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

Why? Saville?

I actually think the sexual exploitation of boys through football activities i.e. coaching and other activities through the 70/80/90's was rife...like the Church scandals, and other areas with easy access to vulnerable children.

I know a ball boy who was sexually abused in the 80's (who has not disclosed)..and if I know one, I think there will be others.

FWIW...your language using the words "kiddy fiddling" and "scandal"....is pretty damn horrible to describe these types of terrible crimes. You should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself....
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    tyson said:

Why? Saville?

I actually think the sexual exploitation of boys through football activities i.e. coaching and other activities through the 70/80/90's was rife...like the Church scandals, and other areas with easy access to vulnerable children.

I know a ball boy who was sexually abused in the 80's (who has not disclosed)..and if I know one, I think there will be others.

FWIW...your language using the words "kiddy fiddling" and "scandal"....is pretty damn horrible to describe these types of terrible crimes. You should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself....
    I will apologise for "kiddy fiddling"...sexual abuse of young boys is what it is, but not sure what your problem with scandal is, as that is what it is. The likes of the BBC are using that phrase.

My general point was that the guy who is the centre of focus is not a new name. He has been convicted three times. It unlike Savile isn't a new out of the blue shock story. I am just scratching my head why it has blow up now.

One might also wonder how he managed to continue to get jobs in the industry even up until fairly recently. Haven't all those safeguarding checks you have to do been in place for a quite a while now.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,782
    Dixie said:

£58 billion quid is enough money to build

a) approx six missile nuclear submarines[1], or
    b) approx eighty state-of-the-art NHS hospitals[2]

It is most certainly not a pinprick

[1] https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/successor-submarine-programme-factsheet/successor-submarine-programme-factsheet
    [2] https://fullfact.org/europe/did-eu-misspend-enough-money-build-10-new-hospitals/

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Andrew Lansley chides chancellor over lack of NHS and social care funding
    Former health secretary ‘disappointed’ the autumn statement failed to provide more money to services struggling to cope
  • Options
    tyson said:

Why? Saville?

How are terrible crimes like this not a "scandal"?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Dixie said:

[1] https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/successor-submarine-programme-factsheet/successor-submarine-programme-factsheet
    [2] https://fullfact.org/europe/did-eu-misspend-enough-money-build-10-new-hospitals/

..or approx twenty Queen-Elizabeth-class aircraft carriers[3]

[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Elizabeth-class_aircraft_carrier
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

tyson said:

Why? Saville?

I will apologise for "kiddy fiddling"...sexual abuse of young boys is what it is, but not sure what your problem with scandal is, as that is what it is.

My general point was that the guy who is the centre of focus is not a new name. He has been convicted three times. It unlike Savile isn't a new story. I am just scratching my head why it has blow up now.
    Fair enough...I used the word scandal in my response too.... So I apologise back for being too judgemental.

I personally think the lack of protection we gave to children from 1970-2000 was terrible and there are many tens of thousands who were terribly abused as a result. This is just one of the many vehicles..scouts, church, schools, children's homes...and now football that gave abusers easy access to children during these times

• Options
    tyson said:

Why? Saville?

Pretty nailed on to be the tip of the iceberg. Manipulative child molesters love getting into positions of authority, where they can groom victims and get them away from their parents. Priests, Popstars, TV personalities, childrens homes. Sports coaches are an obvious one, as are acting schools and modelling agencies.

I think it has become news because one of the victims has gone public.
  • Options
    AL agrees with BJO

He said the Better Care Fund, which brought together money from the NHS and social care, amounted to “robbing Peter to pay Paul”.
  • Options
    Dak Prescott is probably the most underpaid man in world sport right now, like Jamie Vardy was last year.
  • Options

The new Marina and associated new housing has made Sovereign ward in Eastbourne much safer for the Conservatives in the last 10 years...

Nonetheless this is a very interesting one to watch. Eastbourne will no doubt be a top target for the LibDems in 2020 (lost only in 2015, tiny Con majority, no boundary changes proposed, LibDem controlled council). On the other side, this is relatively good Kipper territory, so what happens to the UKIP vote could be crucial.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Dak Prescott is probably the most underpaid man in world sport right now, like Jamie Vardy was last year.

Ezekiel Elliott ain't too shabby either.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Dixie said:

Or, very approximately[4], two Royal Air Forces.

[4] The RAF has about 900 aircraft. I'm assuming an average of £30 million per aircraft, bt that doesn't include spairs nor maintenance. So the RAF replacement cost is about 27 billion, tho' some of those aircraft would be second hand.
  • Options

Which political party is standing behind it?

The one led by the (soft) Remain Prime Minister
    Or the one led by the (soft) Leave LotO?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Dixie said:

More importantly £58bn would give us a free bar for a number of PB drinks so's. Incidentally, when is the next one planned?
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Pulpstar said:

In 2016, Prescott will earn a base salary of $450,000 and a signing bonus of $383,393.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited November 2016
    I understand that you used to work in senior management of NHS. Therefore do you know why a hospital cannot charge the local authority for a patient left there who is waiting for a care home place or care home package (after a set period of notice)?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

In 2016, Prescott will earn a base salary of $450,000 and a signing bonus of $383,393.
    The way he is going come 2018...he will earn 10x that....
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

That was my point the most underpaid man
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Thanks Giving NFL then Top Gear The Grand Tour cracking night of entertainment.
  • Options

Thanks Giving NFL then Top Gear The Grand Tour cracking night of entertainment.

Good as Dak is, he's only got me 2.5 points so far !
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Absolutely...I didn't realise quite how much Elliott was on...

Ezekiel Elliott signed a four year contract with the Cowboys worth $25.956 million. Elliott received a $16.35 million signing bonus. The entire contract is guaranteed.
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Dixie said:

More importantly £58bn would give us a free bar for a number of PB drinks so's. Incidentally, when is the next one planned?
    Unknown. Sorry, one of my bugbears is how people *really* find it difficult to handle large numbers, and in the public sphere it's a genuine problem. Andrew Lilico, who is in theory well educated, once wrote an article saying that the cost of the climate change program was the same as terraforming Mars. The enormous lack of sense that that article betrayed (spoiler alert: it's way, way out) was one of my first eyeopeners as to how the metropolitan elite should never under any circumstances be let near numbers greater than seven.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,674
    edited November 2016
    Dixie said:

£58 billion is probably wrong and a pin prick if right. We're always overdrawn!

1.4% of Government Spending over the period covered......roundings.....
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    Talkng of by elections I hear that Richmond is ablaze with orange posters.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I'm a big Mars buff, but Mars terraforming is genuinely "difficult".
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2016
    That looks exactly like a battle plan which won't survive contact with the enemy. The EU really can't seriously expect to go into negotiations saying 'we need to agree X and Y completely before we'll discuss Z'. As any fule 'no, nothing is agreed until everything is agreed. So Theresa May simply has to respond that 'we are happy to discuss contributions to the EU budget, but obviously we can't finalise that until we have agreed a deal on trade. After all, we obviously might not want to contribute a single Euro, depending on how much access to the single market we have'.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    edited November 2016
    Charles said:

Carlisle Eastbourne and Pendle could all be significant* markets

* well as significant as parish council results get

Oh dear Charles - in failing to use the < joke > tags you're in danger of spending much of tomorrow explaining to the PB po faced that you do, actually, know what a local council does....

:)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Restarting the core is well beyond our technological knowledge. Without a molten core Mars will never be able to sustain an atmosphere.
  • Options

I understand that you used to work in senior management of NHS. Therefore do you know why a hospital cannot charge the local authority for a patient left there who is waiting for a care home place or care home package (after a set period of notice)?
    The system prior for 2010 allowed for that

The aforesaid Mr Lansley designed a system that gave all the money toConflict of Interest Commisioners that was ultimately bound to bankrupt the Acute Sector.

Mr Hunt made matters worse by fining hospitals that dont dischrge to non existent places and he also stole £bns of NHS monies to give to LAs without any requirements to spend on Health or Social Care.

Leaders of LA openly call the Better Care Fund the"pot hole fund."

Hospitals are completely screwed as Circle said when quitting their Hospital Contrac
  • Options
    And if anyone is still unsure of what's driving anger with the establishment then take a look at these two stories:

' The outlook for wages is "dreadful" with the squeeze on pay lasting for more than 10 years, independent economists have said.

The Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) said workers would earn less in real wages in 2021 than they did in 2008.

Other analysis shows the biggest losers between now and 2020 will be lower income families, with the poorest third likely to see incomes drop. '

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38090977

' Former chancellor George Osborne made more than £320,000 over 31 days for giving speeches, records show.

Mr Osborne declared payments for six speeches between 27 September and 27 October, including to a US bank and a university.

The Tatton MP was sacked by Theresa May when she became prime minister. He is now a backbencher.

His largest fee was £81,174 from JP Morgan for a speech on 4 October, the register of MPs' interests shows.

A total of seven hours' work was listed for this and another speech for which he was paid £60,578 from JP Morgan.

Mr Osborne signed up to the Washington Speakers' Bureau, from where he is due to be paid £80,240 from a company called Palmex Derivatives for a speech in New York he gave on 27 October - which he recorded as a total of two hours' work.

He also expects to be paid £69,992 by the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association in return for speaking on 27 September and 18 October, and £28,454 from the Hoover Institution at Stanford University for a speech on 17 October, listed as three hours' work. '

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38094703
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2016

And if anyone is still unsure of what's driving anger with the establishment then take a look at these two stories:

' The outlook for wages is "dreadful" with the squeeze on pay lasting for more than 10 years, independent economists have said.

The Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) said workers would earn less in real wages in 2021 than they did in 2008.

Other analysis shows the biggest losers between now and 2020 will be lower income families, with the poorest third likely to see incomes drop. '

' Former chancellor George Osborne made more than £320,000 over 31 days for giving speeches, records show.

Mr Osborne declared payments for six speeches between 27 September and 27 October, including to a US bank and a university.

The Tatton MP was sacked by Theresa May when she became prime minister. He is now a backbencher.

His largest fee was £81,174 from JP Morgan for a speech on 4 October, the register of MPs' interests shows.

A total of seven hours' work was listed for this and another speech for which he was paid £60,578 from JP Morgan.

Mr Osborne signed up to the Washington Speakers' Bureau, from where he is due to be paid £80,240 from a company called Palmex Derivatives for a speech in New York he gave on 27 October - which he recorded as a total of two hours' work.

He also expects to be paid £69,992 by the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association in return for speaking on 27 September and 18 October, and £28,454 from the Hoover Institution at Stanford University for a speech on 17 October, listed as three hours' work. '

Sure, but preventing Osborne from bringing £320,00 (on which he'll pay £145K tax or so) from the US into the UK economy is going to help the former problem how, exactly?
  • Options
    Lib Dem hold Tandridge Valley ward
  • Options

That looks exactly like a battle plan which won't survive contact with the enemy. The EU really can't seriously expect to go into negotiations saying 'we need to agree X and Y completely before we'll discuss Z'. As any fule 'no, nothing is agreed until everything is agreed. So Theresa May simply has to respond that 'we are happy to discuss contributions to the EU budget, but obviously we can't finalise that until we have agreed a deal on trade. After all, we obviously might not want to contribute a single Euro, depending on how much access to the single market we have'.
    Michel Barnier explained he had kitchen-sinked the exit demands to trade them off against the transition deal, but he wasn't going to discuss permanent arrangements as part of Article 50 negotiations. To be fair, I don't think those arrangements are capable of being settled in the two year timeframe. Even getting the exit negotiations and a semi-decent transition deal in place is ambitious.
  • Options

The converse of that is that nothing is on the table until everything is on the table. Until the UK is able to pursue that line with any credibility then we will not be in a position to start negotiations.
  • Options
    I's a 'Victory for Nicola'!

Spain would reject any attempt by Nicola Sturgeon for Scotland to stay in the EU single market if the rest of the UK comes out, one of the country’s most powerful MEPs warned last night.

Esteban Gonzalez Pons, who leads the Spanish delegation of MEPs in the European Parliament’s largest political grouping, told the Telegraph that Ms Sturgeon’s proposals for a special Scottish deal are “impossible.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/24/spanish-mep-leader-spain-would-oppose-nicola-sturgeon-single/
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Michel Barnier explained he had kitchen-sinked the exit demands to trade them off against the transition deal, but he wasn't going to discuss permanent arrangements as part of Article 50 negotiations. To be fair, I don't think those arrangements are capable of being settled in the two year timeframe. Even getting the exit negotiations and a semi-decent transition deal in place is ambitious.

And the UK will be trying to connect them as much as possible. This isn't news, it's shadow boxing before negotiations start.

Of course you are right about the two-year timeframe. Certainly there is zero chance of all the detail being sorted out in anything like two years. But that is a cliff-edge almost as much for our EU friends as it is for us.
  • Options

Lib Dem hold Tandridge Valley ward

LD 444
    Con 215
    UKIP 145
    Lab 57
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    23% swing to LD in Blakelaw but Labour just hold on.
  • Options

Sure, but preventing Osborne from bringing £320,00 (on which he'll pay £145K tax or so) from the US into the UK economy is going to help the former problem how, exactly?
    Who creates the £320k of wealth which is used to pay Osborne ?

There seems to be unlimited amounts of money for certain organisations to pi55 up the wall and I wonder how much of that they earned themselves.

Still if these certain organisations get into financial difficulties themselves I dare say they'll be looked on in favourable terms by governments.

BTW as a prominent Osborne fan I wonder if you might have access to these speeches.

It would be interesting to compare their quality to that which we can read for free on PB each day.

• Options

FF43 said:

And the UK will be trying to connect them as much as possible. This isn't news, it's shadow boxing before negotiations start.

Of course you are right about the two-year timeframe. Certainly there is zero chance of all the detail being sorted out in anything like two years. But that is a cliff-edge almost as much for our EU friends as it is for us.
    Sure, but the EU will win this one. The cliff-edge looks very different to them and it doesn't centre around Britain crashing out of the European trade system because no deal was agreed.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Hugely. What's the air pressure at the surface: 1-5millibars? How much is it on Earth? 1000millibars. How many cubic kilometers of air do we need to transport to Mars? Lots. What's the most oxygen we've transported outside low earth orbit? Six Lunar Lander upper stages, very approx 100 cubic metres of air. How much did that cost? About 100 billion dollars in today's money (or about one Brexit in pre-devaluation pounds). So that's about a billion dollars per cubic meter, assuming same cost to Mars as t'moon.

The surface of Mars is about 150million square kilometers, that's 150 trillion square metres, and we need to fill it about 100km deep, that's 100,000 metres deep, so that's 15,000,000 trillion cubic metres of air to Mars . At a billion dollars per cubic metre.

Shit, I'll have to switch to exponential here.

15*10^18 cubic metres at 1*10^9 dollars per cubic metre, gives us

15*10^27dollars to make Mars air breathable, or

(deep breath)

15,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 dollars.

Pause.

Fuck it, let's build a Death Star... :)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Kris Bryant, Chicago Cubs. About to be paid $700k for 2017. Open market value (for a one year deal): $50-70m.
  • Options
    12.7% swing to the LDs in Tandridge.
  • Options
    The last remaining BNP councillor in a principal LA in England has resigned from the party but will sit as an independent.
  • Options
    It seems Amazon have a funny definition of Friday...The Grand Tour Episode 2 is already available.
  • Options

It seems Amazon have a funny definition of Friday...The Grand Tour Episode 2 is already available.

It's like they think we're on European time!
  • Options

Interesting that JP Morgan have been so willing to shower largesse upon Osborne.

That's the same JP Morgan who paid Blair millions after he left office.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

Hugely. What's the air pressure at the surface: 1-5millibars? How much is it on Earth? 1000millibars. How many cubic kilometers of air do we need to transport to Mars? Lots. What's the most oxygen we've transported outside low earth orbit? Six Lunar Lander upper stages, very approx 100 cubic metres of air. How much did that cost? About 100 billion dollars in today's money (or about one Brexit in pre-devaluation pounds). So that's about a billion dollars per cubic meter, assuming same cost to Mars as t'moon.

The surface of Mars is about 150million square kilometers, that's 150 trillion square metres, and we need to fill it about 100km deep, that's 100,000 metres deep, so that's 15,000,000 trillion cubic metres of air to Mars . At a billion dollars per cubic metre.

(deep breath)

Pause.

It would be easier to modify humans than Mars:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_Plus
  • Options
    Labour hold Mansfield and Carlisle
  • Options
    This is Local London have reported a claim from the Lib Dems that it is 50% Zac and 42% Sarah Olney with a week to go.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

(deep breath)

Pause.

The aliens mentioned in Total Recall (original and best!) had the right idea!
This discussion has been closed.