Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s Migration dilemma

SystemSystem Posts: 11,018
edited November 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s Migration dilemma

Diane Abbott, the Shadow Home Secretary is always worth listening to these days, not necessarily because of the quality of her analysis, but because she tells us what her leader thinks.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,988
    edited November 2016
    Thirst?

Thanks, Don.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    Second, like Juppe
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

rcs1000 said:

Mr. Eagles, if Carney wants to comment on whether we'll join the euro or not upon leaving the EU he's welcome to do so. Currency, inflation and interest rates are all in his area.

Other Central Bank governors, Kuroda in Japan, Yellen in the US, for example, seem allowed to make speeches specifically about economic policy, and even to be very critical of the government of the day.

I guess the question is, do we want an independent central bank or not? It's OK to say 'no', but then we should give up the pretence and allow the Chancellor to take over monetary policy again.
    Isn't there an awfully big difference between an independent central bank saying that we probably need a transitory scheme while negotiations are continuing (to avoid a sharp shock) and actively campaigning for such a transitory scheme.

I think its the campaigning and lobbying that people would object to not the statement of opinion.
    There's a fine line, isn't there?

I must admit, I think Carney is being held to a different standard to other Central Bank heads who seem to be allowed a huge amount of latitude to criticise government policy. If he wishes to campaign for a two year transitional period, that would seem to be well within the remit of the Bank of England charter (see: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/about/Documents/legislation/1998act.pdf).

In the past, Governors have been allowed to criticise the government of the day as regards their decisions (Gordon Richardson was a constant public thorn in the side of Wilson and Callaghan - making it very clear when he thought the government ).
    Interestingly, the Charter of the Bank is actually very clear that it the Bank is allowed to campaign for whatever it wants in the interests of the objectives of "price stability... growth and employment", but that the government can over-rule it by "The Treasury may by notice in writing to the Bank specify... what the economic policy of Her Majesty’s Government is to be taken to be."

Edit to add: it is therefore the duty of HMG to tell the bank that it is not in favour of a transitional arrangement.
    Can HMG just tell the Bank to shut up for a bit? Like "our current economic policy is to determine, in the coming months, what the future policy is going to be"
    Of course. The fact is that the government has deliberately chosen not to do so. Whether that is because of a Hammond play, or because they prefer to have a variety of different views out there, is another matter altogether.
  • Options
    Phew, for a moment there I thought there really wasn't a plan.

https://twitter.com/SunPolitics/status/802912509325938688
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    I can't think of an issue that totally demonstrates the yawning gulf between the majority of Labour front benchers and their core vote outside Islington than this.

It's visceral stuff that can't be handwaved away or smothered with name calling.
  • Options

I hope it ain't the same God that told George W Bush to invade Iraq
  • Options
    Surely immigration isn't the only muddle Labour find themselves in. In fact, is there *any* policy area where they aren't in a muddle?

Labour need to do several things:
    *) Decide on a set of policies.
    *) All get behind those policies.
    *) Sell those policies to the pubic.
    *) OPPOSE.

Instead there seems to be a vague, incoherent jumble and no meaningful opposition. Most, but not all, of the blame for this can fall on Corbyn's shoulders. A leader needs to lead. He isn't.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    rcs1000 said:

Of course. The fact is that the government has deliberately chosen not to do so. Whether that is because of a Hammond play, or because they prefer to have a variety of different views out there, is another matter altogether.

Sorry but can you actually properly quote the section of the Charter you posted that allows the BOE to campaign to influence Government policy. The only bit I can find that is that it should 'support' HMG's economic policy.

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

I can't think of an issue that totally demonstrates the yawning gulf between the majority of Labour front benchers and their core vote outside Islington than this.

It's visceral stuff that can't be handwaved away or smothered with name calling.

The trouble for both Con and Lab and it is idiotic to pretend this is only a problem for Labour is that there is a sizeable vote in the centre that will be completely offput by overt pandering to the nativist right. Businesses, especially in the SE, NEED immigration.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    edited November 2016

I hope it's not the same God who "angered Eurosceptic politicians by saying that Brexit is not inevitable" (Independent 27.8.2016) and sits in the House of Lords.
  • Options
    F1: Ladbrokes already has 2017 markets up. Hmm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2016
    I sniff a dripping condescension towards those of a religious bent. An establishment lefty disdain for their non-humanist ideals. I myself think all religion is utter bollocks and the root cause of much evil and suffering in history. But...I also think people are free to believe what they damn well please and that belittling the faithful doesn't add to societal tolerance or harmony. Live and let live and all that. The EU is a religion too. And the NHS. And communism. I think I much prefer Theresa May's bullshit religion to Jeremy Corbyn's bullshit religion.
  • Options

F1: Ladbrokes already has 2017 markets up. Hmm.

Surely it's far too early to bet on given the major rule changes for 2017? Wider cars and tyre; more weight - can't remember if there any engine changes. It's surely going to be another opportunity for teams to upset the order like 2009 or 2014.

Something to look out for might be teams asking for clarifications of the rules, as ISTR Brawn did before the 2009 season. It might be a sign that they've come across exploitable loopholes.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

I hope it's not the same God who "angered Eurosceptic politicians by saying that Brexit is not inevitable" (Independent 27.8.2016) and sits in the House of Lords.
    Independent 27.8.2016 sounds like chapter and verse!!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

OMG! May is leaving it to God, and we all know how God/He/She/It helped the victims of the Nazi and Soviet concentration camps.

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,430
    Interesting piece. Two points which I think need further teasing out:

1) The view that “immigration has been good for us” – who is “us”? Arguably immigration has been good for the country as a whole, at least economically (though as always there are arguments to be had here) – but as with anything, there are winners and losers: some have benefited and some have not, and it does no-one any good that the effect on the country as a whole is the same as the effect on any given individual or group of individuals. It is not that immigration is happening too fast: immigration would always be bad for the individuals who are negatively affected and good for those for those who are positively affected, regardless of speed. The “it’s happening too fast” argument is something of a sop, a way of avoiding the fact that for some any immigration at all is bad.
    2) Immigration is the most obvious aspect of the cultural disconnect between the Labour Party and its traditional supporters, but it is far from the only example. While Labour are right to recognise this issue, merely addressing this one issue won’t change the fact that to people in Tameside and Sunderland and Barnsley, many of the issues Labour tends to get exercised about – Palestine, nuclear disarmament, transgender rights – seem at best rather ephemeral. Labour needs to recognise that immigratin is not the only reason its traditional supporters are not as enthusiastic about voting Labour as they might be.
  • Options
    Labour's message on immigration is largely irrelevant because no-one is listening to the messenger. That is actually probably pretty good news for Labour right now because the Labour leadership seems to want to leave the Single Market while introducing an open door immigration policy. Try selling that on the doorstep.

Retaining a level of freedom of movement while remaining in the Single Market is a grown-up, defensible policy. It is not one that Jeremy Corbyn is capable of making, even he were inclined to do so.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, would such regulatory inquiries be public knowledge, though?

Got a few early thoughts. Might include them when I write the season review.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

I sniff a dripping condescension towards those of a religious bent. An establishment lefty disdain for their non-humanist ideals. I myself think all religion is utter bollocks and the root cause of much evil and suffering in history. But...I also think people are free to believe what they damn well please and that belittling the faithful doesn't add to societal tolerance or harmony. Live and let live and all that. The EU is a religion too. And the NHS. And communism. I think I much prefer Theresa May's bullshit religion to Jeremy Corbyn's bullshit religion.

I agree there can be condescension towards those of a religious bent. However, all too often there is also the reverse: a sniffing condescension towards atheists and agnostics. An example I came across the other week: the idea that someone who regularly attends church is more worthy, a better person, than someone who does not. Needless to say, it was from a regular churchgoer.

However: I disagree than the EU and NHS are religions. *Some* people treat them as if they were religions (e.g. some high church Europhiles); have faith in the organisations and use that to avert valid criticisms. Such people are in a small minority though, and the organisations are not religions in themselves.

People are free to believe what they damn well please as long as they don't cause harm to people who don't believe the same things.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

1) The view that “immigration has been good for us” – who is “us”? Arguably immigration has been good for the country as a whole, at least economically (though as always there are arguments to be had here) – but as with anything, there are winners and losers: some have benefited and some have not, and it does no-one any good that the effect on the country as a whole is the same as the effect on any given individual or group of individuals. It is not that immigration is happening too fast: immigration would always be bad for the individuals who are negatively affected and good for those for those who are positively affected, regardless of speed. The “it’s happening too fast” argument is something of a sop, a way of avoiding the fact that for some any immigration at all is bad.
    2) Immigration is the most obvious aspect of the cultural disconnect between the Labour Party and its traditional supporters, but it is far from the only example. While Labour are right to recognise this issue, merely addressing this one issue won’t change the fact that to people in Tameside and Sunderland and Barnsley, many of the issues Labour tends to get exercised about – Palestine, nuclear disarmament, transgender rights – seem at best rather ephemeral. Labour needs to recognise that immigratin is not the only reason its traditional supporters are not as enthusiastic about voting Labour as they might be.

Point 2 - absolutely spot on. There is a strong economic case to be made for freedom of movement as part of membership of the single market. It is a pragmatic one and it is based on economics and the public finances, and how we all benefit from these being as healthy as possible. However, Labour's leadership is not interested in those arguments. It sees immigration as a human right; which is something very different.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

Best hope God's a whinging remoaner then :)
  • Options
    Patrick said:

I sniff a straw man
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, would such regulatory inquiries be public knowledge, though?

Got a few early thoughts. Might include them when I write the season review.

I think (*) Brawn's inquiry about the double diffusers before the 2009 season was widely mentioned well before pre-testing, which is why two other teams also had them. However it was in the context of the engine changes, Honda's pullout and a team that was looking as though it wouldn't be on the grid.

(*) Might be wrong though.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2016
    Shortly after Theresa May became Prime Minister, her team stressed to the overwhelmingly Remain-supporting civil service that Brexit must be at the centre of all decision-making, that there must be no equivocation: we are leaving the EU. Panjandrums were told they must include a commitment to Brexit in all of their “write rounds”, the regular Whitehall memos circulated to ministers, sub-committees, the PM and the Cabinet Secretary. Alas, Europhile mandarins have defied this order, repeatedly omitting the Brexit commitment. Forgetfulness or a vain act of dissent? Downing Street are taking no chances – whenever they receive one of these incomplete write rounds from civil service Remainers they add the words “We are leaving the European Union” and send it back, reminding the sore loser responsible of their duties.

http://order-order.com/2016/11/28/250458/
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, I can't recall. I do know he (and, as you say, others) made the inquiry but I don't know if it was public knowledge.

There are also two Hamilton specials (to beat Schumacher's title record, and to beat Schumacher's race win record). Not backing either myself but as regulations tend to be around for 4-5 years, they're perhaps better bets than backing him for next year's title (he's just 2.5 for that).
  • Options

Shortly after Theresa May became Prime Minister, her team stressed to the overwhelmingly Remain-supporting civil service that Brexit must be at the centre of all decision-making, that there must be no equivocation: we are leaving the EU. Panjandrums were told they must include a commitment to Brexit in all of their “write rounds”, the regular Whitehall memos circulated to ministers, sub-committees, the PM and the Cabinet Secretary. Alas, Europhile mandarins have defied this order, repeatedly omitting the Brexit commitment. Forgetfulness or a vain act of dissent? Downing Street are taking no chances – whenever they receive one of these incomplete write rounds from civil service Remainers they add the words “We are leaving the European Union” and send it back, reminding the sore loser responsible of their duties.

It is always someone else's fault, part 53,459

• Options

It is always someone else's fault, part 53,459

I think Guido's simply talking rubbish.
  • Options

Love the sudden conversion to The Sun.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    edited November 2016

No doubt civil servants in 1930's Germany sending out memos about street cleaning had to add the words, "Heil Hitler" to the end. This is the dumbest thing I have heard about this government. Don't they have better things to do than enforce the inclusion of political slogans in civil servants' memos?

Like coming up with a workable plan for Brexit?
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, I can't recall. I do know he (and, as you say, others) made the inquiry but I don't know if it was public knowledge.

There are also two Hamilton specials (to beat Schumacher's title record, and to beat Schumacher's race win record). Not backing either myself but as regulations tend to be around for 4-5 years, they're perhaps better bets than backing him for next year's title (he's just 2.5 for that).

I don't like either of those bets. Hammy's been in F1 for ten years, and has 53 wins and 3 titles out of 188 starts. He'd need four more titles and 38 wins to equal Schuey (out of 308 starts), and five more titles and 39 wins to beat him.

However, few F1 drivers last more than 15 years in F1, yet alone at their peak performance. This means Hammy would have about five more seasons, and he would have to win each one to beat Schuey's title record.

The race record is more likely. If there are around twenty races per season, he will have around one hundred races before he retires. He would need to win over a third of them to beat Schuey's race record. That's only a little above his performance over his first ten years.

They'd have to be *really* good odds to take those bets on. The title record is very, very unlikely IMO, the race record just unlikely.

That's also leaving out the fact that F1 with that sort of dominance by any driver would be fairly boring, just as it was through some of the Schuey years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_Grand_Prix_winners
  • Options

Being agnostic-ish, I always work on the the assumption that God is an equal opportunities, vindictively mischievous old bastert.

https://twitter.com/wefail/status/803185186691223552
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, that's my assessment. I do think Hamilton has the potential to stick around that long, but I don't think he will.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Patrick said:

I agree with you about the respective merits of Mrs May's and Mr Corbyn's faiths. I don't believe in either, but I'd rather be wrong Theresa's way than Jeremy's.

Your post reminds me of a university lecturer I used to work with who was also a clergyman. On the rare occasions when he wore his clerical collar on campus he was abused (often obscenely) not by students but by some academics, invariably from the social science faculty.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Patrick said:

So whilst keen not to belittle the faithful... you also think their religion is utter bollocks, bullshit and the root cause of much evil and suffering in history?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203

Cookie said:

1) The view that “immigration has been good for us” – who is “us”? Arguably immigration has been good for the country as a whole, at least economically (though as always there are arguments to be had here) – but as with anything, there are winners and losers: some have benefited and some have not, and it does no-one any good that the effect on the country as a whole is the same as the effect on any given individual or group of individuals.

Point 2 - absolutely spot on. There is a strong economic case to be made for freedom of movement as part of membership of the single market. It is a pragmatic one and it is based on economics and the public finances, and how we all benefit from these being as healthy as possible. However, Labour's leadership is not interested in those arguments. It sees immigration as a human right; which is something very different.
    "Immigration has enriched us, both culturally and economically, yet the pace of change in some parts of the country has been de-stabilising…. "

Some immigration has enriched us culturally. But - and it is this brutal fact which Labour refuses to face up to - some has not. Until we start making a distinction between those who are an asset to this country, who fit in, who want to become British and those who are not, who refuse to fit in, who despise Britain we are not going to get this right.

Also, in seeing this issue as just one of economics, Labour is making a mistake. It's not just about wages and jobs etc. It's also about a sense that Britain is a home for people and those who come here should seek to make it their home and fit in and not take the piss and that we should only invite in those who are a benefit to us not those who are not and should be able to remove those who abuse our hospitality. Labour too often gives the impression that the only determinant of who should be allowed into a country should be the desire of the would-be immigrant - a sort of "I want. Must have" immigration policy. See, for instance, all the emoting about the Jungle.

If Labour want a few principles on which to base an immigration policy they could start here -
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/05/31/mind-the-gap/

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,390
    edited November 2016
    There's only one religion Mrs May should be following to guide her through Brexit.

The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

She should be touching his noodly appendage regularly.
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, that's my assessment. I do think Hamilton has the potential to stick around that long, but I don't think he will.

It should also be said that Hammy's within (I think) six points of having five titles in ten years rather than just three. Probably only Alonso's had a worse record in that respect in the history of F1.

BTW, I really did not like Mercedes comments to Hammy yesterday. Not only does it indicate a slight pro-Nico bias, but it would have deprived us of a great end of the race.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710

Cookie said:

Interesting that's Angela Merkel's view too, at least within the EU, which is why Britain is getting a lot of push back from Germany on "cherry picking" FoM versus Single Market.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Patrick said:

So whilst keen not to belittle the faithful... you also think their religion is utter bollocks, bullshit and the root cause of much evil and suffering in history?
    Yup. I share my thoughts here freely but I never tell religious people to their face what I think as I have no desire to upset. I'd make a very happy exception to that rule for any Islamic fundamentalists I happen across (thus far in my life zero).
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited November 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Yes and it starts with a complete ignorance of the laws of supply and demand. This shows that the point where the amount of demand and supply are equal, or in equilibrium, is what will determine the price. In the case of labour, the price is the wages and other employment costs, such as employer-paid taxes and benefits. When there is more labour supply (from the EU) than demand in the UK, this is a labour surplus and then the price -- wages -- will tend to be held down and in some cases decrease.

We have a floor to the price of wages, the minimum wage, but this floor is acting as the new normal level for a greater % of jobs each year. It is a fact that although there has been a significant increase in the supply of jobs in the UK in recent years, our wage rates paid to workers here have barely grown in the past 8 years. This must be due to a major increase in the supply of workers willing to work minimum wage. Some calculations are that currently >80% of new jobs are being filled by non-UK workers. As Mrs T once said "you cannot buck the market".
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Labour's message on immigration is largely irrelevant because no-one is listening to the messenger. That is actually probably pretty good news for Labour right now because the Labour leadership seems to want to leave the Single Market while introducing an open door immigration policy. Try selling that on the doorstep.

Retaining a level of freedom of movement while remaining in the Single Market is a grown-up, defensible policy. It is not one that Jeremy Corbyn is capable of making, even he were inclined to do so.

Agree that people aren't really listening to Labour right now.

But what is a 'grown-up' policy on migration right now?
    How does the policy you describe differ from the status quo?
    And if it does differ significantly- haven't the EU been pretty clear that membership of single market = freedom of movement?

I think this migration issue is really difficult for Labour- I don't see a simple solution at all...
  • Options
    Patrick said:

This isn't a political strategy but for normal people who aren't trying to get elected to something, Sam Harris makes a good case for why dripping condescension is the appropriate attitude:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmPtH4IDFNQ
  • Options
    The policies of New Labour led to Britain changing fundamentally during the Blair years.

This is still a totem of faith amongst most of the party, even in the Corbyn era, and I see very little sign that Labour 'gets it' on immigration, with one or two exceptions like Tristram Hunt, John Mann and Ed Balls.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

And if it does differ significantly- haven't the EU been pretty clear that membership of single market = freedom of movement?

I think this migration issue is really difficult for Labour- I don't see a simple solution at all...
    When your Leader does not see it as a problem to respond to, then the issue will be ignored and some voters will act in response through voter strikes and through changing their vote to the Conservatives and UKIP. A sub 25% Labour vote at the next GE is probable.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I know we have a few law experts on here (boo, boo, hiss, hiss), so what's the latest challenge to Art 50 about?

Can we legally remain in the EEA if we exit the EU? Could we then control our own borders if we did that? If we remain in the EEA, do we have to pay?

I suspect the answers are No, No, and Yes?

Mr Brind, nicely argued, but it looks like Labour as a whole (Billy Bunter in the vanguard) are slowly conceding that changes to immigration controls are needed whatever Jezza believes.
  • Options
    Crap, looks like we're stuck with him.

https://twitter.com/MichaelLCrick/status/803193591376072704
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cookie said:

1) The view that “immigration has been good for us” – who is “us”? Arguably immigration has been good for the country as a whole, at least economically (though as always there are arguments to be had here) – but as with anything, there are winners and lose

"Immigration has enriched us, both culturally and economically, yet the pace of change in some parts of the country has been de-stabilising…. "

Some immigration has enriched us culturally. But - and it is this brutal fact which Labour refuses to face up to - some has not. Until we start making a distinction between those who are an asset to this country, who fit in, who want to become British and those who are not, who refuse to fit in, who despise Britain we are not going to get this right.

Also, in seeing this issue as just one of economics, Labour is making a mistake. It's not just about wages and jobs etc. It's also about a sense that Britain is a home for people and those who come here should seek to make it their home and fit in and not take the piss and that we should only invite in those who are a benefit to us not those who are not and should be able to remove those who abuse our hospitality. Labour too often gives the impression that the only determinant of who should be allowed into a country should be the desire of the would-be immigrant - a sort of "I want. Must have" immigration policy. See, for instance, all the emoting about the Jungle.

If Labour want a few principles on which to base an immigration policy they could start here -
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/05/31/mind-the-gap/

It makes sense if you view native Britons as insular, parochial and rather unsophisticated and immigration as a way to enlighten them to progressive politics and internationalism. Therefore, it doesn't matter as any immigration is better than none and you can't have too much of a good thing.

Unfortunately for them, this is a motive that many voters have picked up on.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''The policies of New Labour led to Britain changing fundamentally during the Blair years.''

That is why voters want the power to control immigration back. They want to see a beauty contest on this matter, and they will select what they like.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    There's some interesting old cables being released today. Assuming they're not leaks, just normal procedure.

Wikileaks
    RELEASE: US diplomatic cables on the Three Mile Island nuclear incident, SALT II treaty and placing nukes in Europe https://t.co/mUY3OL78oX https://t.co/R3WXIPKY8l

RELEASE: US diplomatic cables on the election of Thatcher, assassination of MP Neave, IRA Warrentpoint bombing https://t.co/mUY3OL78oX

Edit

RELEASE: US diplomatic cables on the Sandinista revolution, the coups in El Salvador & Grenada & Ecuadorian election https://t.co/EN0PW5LWeF

RELEASE: Over 500k US diplomatic cables on the Iranian revolution & seige of Mecca https://t.co/u8OZDdH17v

Guide: https://t.co/qEqDA3qTRP https://t.co/X8bJunT8a9
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056

Crap, looks like we're stuck with him.

Translation: I'm not going to be offered a job by Trump and I'm not going to be offered a peerage.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203

rkrkrk said:

When your Leader does not see it as a problem to respond to, then the issue will be ignored and some voters will act in response through voter strikes and through changing their vote to the Conservatives and UKIP. A sub 25% Labour vote at the next GE is probable.
    Back on 7 August I wrote this in a thread header:

"Britain’s role in and responsibilities to the world outside its borders matter of course but a political party needs above all to be rooted in and have an instinctive feeling for its own country.

It needs to make voters here feel that they are its primary and most important concern. A party which seems to voters to be a Mrs Jellyby, more concerned with the far off poor than with the needy in our own neighbourhoods (e.g. Corbyn’s concern with the migrants in French camps) is likely to end up wondering why those needy persons no longer answer their doors when it comes knocking for votes. A bleak future indeed."

In response Nick Palmer said this:

"4. How does it feel about the nation it seeks to govern?
    I don’t intuitively agree with Cyclefree’s view of “Britain first”. I think we should follow the more subtle policy of ensuring that Britain’s needs get fair consideration. That’s an important role for Britain’s government nobody else will bother), but I don’t favour putting our needs above everyone else’s."

I don't know whether Nick's view is representative of other Labour people but a party which "does not favour putting our needs above everyone else's" is going to find it hard to craft an immigration policy (and many other policies besides) attractive to a big enough majority of British voters.

• Options
    Patrick said:

Religion, family, community and patriotism both being viewed as signs of an unenlightened mind. The right ideology is ok.

Thus not dissimilar to the attitudes of the elites in the USSR, for example.
  • Options
    Off topic. A very smart move by the Govt to have discussions with Poland on security matters. There is a potential large group of Eastern european EU members that care more about security, than having future access for immigration to the UK IMHO.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, I wondered about Mercedes' comments on the radio, and afterwards.

Hamilton reportedly threatened to quit after the Spanish Grand Prix this year. That's pretty well-sourced, according to Ted Kravitz. I wonder if his prima donna approach is beginning to annoy the management.

After some consideration, I think Hamilton's tactics were fair enough. Not in keeping with his "I'm a real racer" shtick, but smart strategy, and better than the deliberate crashes we've seen by Senna, Prost and Schumacher in the past.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MikeK said:

OMG! May is leaving it to God, and we all know how God/He/She/It helped the victims of the Nazi and Soviet concentration camps.

What article actually says was "her moral sense of right and wrong is helping her work out what is best for Britain at this difficult time"

The closest she gets to the headline is "there is something in terms of faith ... that lies behind what I do"

All she is saying is that her upbringing has made her the woman she is and that informs her decisions.

No more controversial than saying "May means May"
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Interesting that's Angela Merkel's view too, at least within the EU, which is why Britain is getting a lot of push back from Germany on "cherry picking" FoM versus Single Market.
    Which is why Guy opening the door for cherry picking was very useful. I think if we can work that angle and turn his idea into annual payments from individual citizens for migration rights while keeping the other three freedoms in full it would be a very favourable deal indeed. With a bit of creative thinking I'm sure both sides would accept £2-3k per year per person for 5 years minimum.
  • Options
    What a surprise. Farage is now running the Trump playbook (the new manual for all aspiring politicians), which basically consists of saying anything, what ever comes into your head, as long as it is eye-catching enough to get the media to cover it.

No doubt we'll be hearing all about Farage's new project in the new year.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited November 2016

Being agnostic-ish, I always work on the the assumption that God is an equal opportunities, vindictively mischievous old bastert.

I'm definitely no agnostic.
    But does God bleach One's teeth?
    How off putting is that?
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Don Brind's comment that TM has a simple assertion that the referendum result was all about immigration is wrong. It is an important pillar but not uniquely so.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

rkrkrk said:

..................In response Nick Palmer said this:
    "4. How does it feel about the nation it seeks to govern?
    I don’t intuitively agree with Cyclefree’s view of “Britain first”. I think we should follow the more subtle policy of ensuring that Britain’s needs get fair consideration. ......"
    I don't know whether Nick's view is representative of other Labour people but a party which "does not favour putting our needs above everyone else's" is going to find it hard to craft an immigration policy (and many other policies besides) attractive to a big enough majority of British voters.
    Yes I think Nick's view is a fair reflection of the views of most of the Labour party members. Not surprising as so many are in London It is of course contrary to the views of most of their voters. Therefore this has the potential to create the kind of opportunity that the SNP had in Scotland when the Labour party became disconnected fromh most of their voters and turned a deaf ear to them, as they thought that their voters had no where else to go......
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Charles said:

MikeK said:

What article actually says was "her moral sense of right and wrong is helping her work out what is best for Britain at this difficult time"

The closest she gets to the headline is "there is something in terms of faith ... that lies behind what I do"

All she is saying is that her upbringing has made her the woman she is and that informs her decisions.

You clearly didn't get the memo Charles - The Sun is a right-wing gutter press rag that disgustingly and cynically plays upon the worst instincts of the lower classes, offering headlines that bear no resemblance to the truth.*

*Except when they say something we like.

Regards,

Scotnats and Remoaners
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, I wondered about Mercedes' comments on the radio, and afterwards.

Hamilton reportedly threatened to quit after the Spanish Grand Prix this year. That's pretty well-sourced, according to Ted Kravitz. I wonder if his prima donna approach is beginning to annoy the management.

After some consideration, I think Hamilton's tactics were fair enough. Not in keeping with his "I'm a real racer" shtick, but smart strategy, and better than the deliberate crashes we've seen by Senna, Prost and Schumacher in the past.

Hammy also said (I think last week) that there was more to the story behind the swap of crews between him and Nico at the beginning of the season than has come out. He said it will have to wait for his memoirs.

Since some blame his reliability issues at the beginning of the season on that swap, that is interesting. It might also explain why he threatened to quit. The allegation is that the German Mercedes team wanted a German champion rather than another Hammy title.

I must say that Nico's championship is as undeserved as his father's was. Neither were the best driver in their winning seasons.
  • Options
    The anti-immigrant mood is a symptom not a cause of the problem. With record employment (both in absolute numbers and in percentages), Britain is not awash with surplus labour.

The real problem is twofold. First, the budget cuts have left far greater pressure on public services. Immigrants are blamed for that pressure (whether or not they actually cause it).

Secondly, low productivity has led to low wage growth. Immigrants are blamed for suppressing wage pressure when some of the workers who are complaining would do well to consider whether they might improve their own marketability.

But much of the complaining is done by cosseted oldies who no longer toil and who have been given superpriority for public spending. The baby boomers have been pampered from cradle to grave. Shame about those who follow them.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2016
    Who can view my internet history?

Last week, whilst most of us were busy watching the comings and goings at Trump Tower and Ed Balls on Strictly, Parliament quietly passed the Investigatory Powers Act 2016 (a.k.a. the Snoopers’ Charter).

https://yiu.co.uk/blog/who-can-view-my-internet-history/

Some strange name on the list of bodies being given this power eg gambling commission, food standards, etc. If you don't already use a vpn, now is the time to sign up to one & one that ensures no logging.
  • Options

Charles said:

MikeK said:

You clearly didn't get the memo Charles - The Sun is a right-wing gutter press rag that disgustingly and cynically plays upon the worst instincts of the lower classes, offering headlines that bear no resemblance to the truth.*

*Except when they say something we like.

Regards,

Scotnats and Remoaners
    The Sun is suddenly gaining fans in unexpected corners...

You'd have thought the Nats had other things to worry about.....

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14931432.Nicola_Sturgeon_dilemma_as_exclusive_Herald_poll_shows_two_thirds_of_Scots_want_to_use_the_pound/?ref=twtrec
  • Options
    Mr Borough,

"Farage is now running the Trump playbook (the new manual for all aspiring politicians), which basically consists of saying anything, what ever comes into your head."

In think you'll find the suggestion that Farage was going to America came only from the Times. Not sure that printing a wrong story is the fault of the person involved.

Our group of old gits contains religious people, agnostics and vague atheists. Teasing is allowed but no one gets upset about it. The only ones I've ever met who try to force something on you are the militant atheists.

I have an agreement with a Muslim ex-colleague that if the Pope is right, I'll let him into heaven through the back door. If he is right, he'll sneak me into paradise - on condition I leave his 72 virgins alone.
  • Options
    Stop dripping your metropolitan condescension onto the disenfranchised, patriotic wwc.
  • Options
    Toms said:

I'm definitely no agnostic.
    But does God bleach One's teeth?
    How off putting is that?
    Her bleached beard is even more off putting tbh.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited November 2016
    CD13 said:

I have an agreement with a Muslim ex-colleague that if the Pope is right, I'll let him into heaven through the back door. If he is right, he'll sneak me into paradise - on condition I leave his 72 virgins alone.

presumably after a while they won't be virgins anymore?
  • Options
    Mr Meeks,

"But much of the complaining is done by cosseted oldies who no longer toil and who have been given superpriority for public spending. The baby boomers have been pampered from cradle to grave. Shame about those who follow them."

You young 'uns, you're all spoilt rotten. If you don't repent, I shall unleash the Four Yorkshiremen on you. When did you last die of Consumption?
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, by that token, do the engineers deserve credit for Hamilton's 2014 and 2015 titles?

If Hamilton rather than Rosberg had suffered a reliability failure in Abu Dhabi 2014, the latter would've won that title.

And the car matters more than the driver. It's one of the reasons it's such a shame Alonso didn't win in 2012.
  • Options

.....Secondly, low productivity has led to low wage growth. Immigrants are blamed for suppressing wage pressure when some of the workers who are complaining would do well to consider whether they might improve their own marketability......

Productivity. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Productivity
    "The volume measure of output reflects the goods and services produced by the workforce. Numerator of the ratio of labour productivity, the volume measure of output is measured either by gross domestic product (GDP) or gross value added (GVA). "

Looking at our PB group of resident experts for help on this, is this how our ONS etc calculate labour productivity? If yes then if we increase the minimum wage it would increase the GDP and increase the overall labour productivity (providing the number of jobs remained the same)?
  • Options

Stop dripping your metropolitan condescension onto the disenfranchised, patriotic wwc.
    Please. My liberal metropolitan elite condescension.

• Options

If that is the plan, then God help us.
    Look on the bright side, God is all knowing and omnipotent. May is following God's plan, so not only will Brexit work, but it would be sacrilegious to vote anything other than Tory at the next GE.
  • Options
    I wonder how easy it would be to federalise immigration/work permits to a regional level in the UK?

Theoretically London and Scotland could retain free movement of people, and NI numbers could be developed to allow workers to only find employment with companies in certain areas, while other areas could develop quota's.

Could this be the hallowed 'middle ground' between free market access and controls on EU immigration? Or a bureaucratic nightmare?
  • Options
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    PlatoSaid said:

Except it isn't that simple. We keep hearing about the white working class, but just have a look at what it looks like nowadays. I'll be meeting my white working class family members on the south coast this Xmas. Most of us look like the Anglo Saxons who beat the Britons at nearby Pevensey Castle in the fifth century and may well have been here ever since. But they'll be a couple of North African muslims that have married in and an American jew flying in from Berlin. The plain fact is that the white working class isn't all that white any more. Any policy on immigration is going to offend somebody, especially if it involves sending current residents back. It's easy to mock Corbyn, but that is about the only easy thing about this issue. There is plenty that Theresa May can do to get it wrong.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,980
    edited November 2016
    Mr. Rob, wouldn't all the London workers have to live outside London and commute in? What if people migrate to Scotland then catch a train south?

If it could be made workable, it might be a nice bit of fudge. Not sure it is workable, however.

Edited extra bit: it might also really piss off a lot of people.
  • Options
    Seriously believe Nuttall means Labour's entire election campaign will (and should be) focused on losing no more ground in its heartlands. Though I know they forgot about trying to win when they re-elected Corbyn.
  • Options
    Damnit. I wanted gay donkey horse rape man to become UKIP leader.
  • Options

Damnit. I wanted gay donkey horse rape man to become UKIP leader.

Wait a month or two..
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    I am hoping to see Nigel Farage being asked to represent UK in Havana at Castro's funeral.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Nuttall grabs the nuts! ;)
  • Options
    Bruno Waterfield
    Oh dear. @EU_Commission lectures Czechs for having a “narrow” view of Castro - the Cuban leader supported the crushing of the Prague Spring
  • Options
    @TSE He came a good third.

Behind both the horse and the gay donkey.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    This might be a very important article about the future direction of American politics:

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/307462-trump-adviser-tells-house-republicans-youre-no-longer-reagans-party

The "Trump Advisor" being Stephen Moore a Reagan Economist.
  • Options
    I haven't had chance to read the other comments, so apologies it these points have already been made.

Abbott's comment "... it is simply not the case that immigration has driven down wages, or that immigration has created the insecurity or instability they perceive" is highly telling - not just because for some, it will certainly be false, where immigrants have driven down wages, increased competition or increased demand for local services, but because of the failure to even contemplate the possibility that there are negative consequences. For people like Abbott, the immigration debate cannot be opened "because they do not know where it ends". Leave aside the anti-democratic nature of the comment and the defensive mindset it betrays, what it means is that they cannot truly connect with these voters because they refuse to accept their complaints as legitimate.

Phillipson's comment "... Immigration into Britain has boosted our economy year after year and thus raised the standard of living for people" is simply economically illiterate, failing to understand the concept of 'per capita' (and again, failing to recognise that even if the average person was better off, that doesn't mean everyone will be).

But it's the Prof Ford who hints at the real elephant in the room that Abbott so closed her eyes to. "there are many who want immigration controlled – but not if they can be shown it will make them worse off". No doubt there are. But implicitly there are also others who want immigration controlled *even if* it will make them worse off. Why might that be? The answer has to be cultural; a reaction against the multiculturalism that Labour was alleged to want to rub in the faces of the Right. Except it's not just the Right whose faces have been rubbed in it; indeed, most of all, it's been those who've traditionally voted for parties on the Left. No doubt that's one reason why Labour is so keen to not want to know 'how it ends'; because it ends in Trump, Brexit and Le Pen.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,604
    Outside of the Islington bubble, the party is waking up to what actually matters to working class voters.
  • Options

Seriously believe Nuttall means Labour's entire election campaign will (and should be) focused on losing no more ground in its heartlands. Though I know they forgot about trying to win when they re-elected Corbyn.

How do they do that when hamstrung with the kind of thinking shown in Don's article?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Has Paul Nuttall resigned yet?
  • Options
    Well, it looks like labour has another big problem...
  • Options

@TSE He came a good third.

Behind both the horse and the gay donkey.

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/803207244967985152
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, that'll probably play well with his target audience. Be interesting to see if Nutall proposes an English Parliament.
  • Options

Outside of the Islington bubble, the party is waking up to what actually matters to working class voters.

But the party is led by the Islington bubble.
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.