Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After this afternoon and last week’s PMQs there will be a l

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited July 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After this afternoon and last week’s PMQs there will be a lot of Bercow interventions tomorrow

PaddyPower Bercow Betting
Interventions at tomorrow's PMQs
5/6 0-2
5/6 -3+ which I'm on http://t.co/45A6m1KRSH pic.twitter.com/DvSXWu6qeq

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    When does tim rename to RT?
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Hunt flapping and flailing on R4 over tobacco lobbying.

Most unfortunate.

• Options
    tim said:

isam said:
    UKIP "swayed by anti-immigrant and anti-European rhetoric – and nostalgia for a comfortable world that never really existed"

Spot on.

Be fair. NF is also putting the fear of god into tea party tories as well.

Almost. ;)
    MustBeRead ‏@MustBeRead 8h

"I don’t need to destroy the Conservative Party," says @Nigel_Farage, "Cameron’s doing that for me." http://conservativehome.blogs.com/interviews/2013/07/somewhat-to-my-surprise-i-found-nigel-farage-leader-of-ukip-sitting-in-the-same-small-cheerless-office-on-the-fifth-fl.html
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Who needs Trident when we have the NHS?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    AveryLP said:

Who needs Trident when we have the NHS?

Who needs Lansley as PM, Seth O Logue?

*chortle*

:)

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    I really think Bercow's days are numbered. Some enterprising Tory MP must be digging up dirt right now and getting the damaging briefings ready for maximum damage to ensure he is forced out.
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    FPT (@ scampi)

"...it's all been to defend Andy Burnham.".

That. Right there.

The barren, utter tragedy of tim's meaningless existence laid bare.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I really think Bercow's days are numbered. Some enterprising Tory MP must be digging up dirt right now and getting the damaging briefings ready for maximum damage to ensure he is forced out.

The only thing that forced out the inept Michael Martin was a colossal expenses scandal that is still having the most serious reprercussions to this day.

Are you expecting another one?

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,916
    edited July 2013
    Mick_Pork said:

tim said:

isam said:
    UKIP "swayed by anti-immigrant and anti-European rhetoric – and nostalgia for a comfortable world that never really existed"

Spot on.

Almost. ;)

"I don’t need to destroy the Conservative Party," says @Nigel_Farage, "Cameron’s doing that for me." http://conservativehome.blogs.com/interviews/2013/07/somewhat-to-my-surprise-i-found-nigel-farage-leader-of-ukip-sitting-in-the-same-small-cheerless-office-on-the-fifth-fl.html

NF! Subtle, well spotted you clever so & so.

Wonder if it will become PB shorthand like those ribticklers Cammie & Osbrowne

*titters

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    isam said:
    I think a story where someone said a politician HAD a spine would be far more newsworthy.
  • Options
    RobD said:

isam said:
    I think a story where someone said a politician HAD a spine would be far more newsworthy.
    Yes! Or a clue!
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Don't suppose anyone can summarise the HoC events today in words other than one side saying the other side 'lost' and vice versa?

*too hot even to read threads*

Actually just watching Keogh on Sky who seems like a measured sort of chap.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    @Pork

Mistaken as always, Pork.

You are muddling MaxPB and BenM.

• Options
    isam said:

Mick_Pork said:

tim said:

isam said:

Spot on.

Almost. ;)

*titters

It was used by other posters before me just like TB or DC occassionally are. Since you like it so much I will of course respect your wishes and use it as much as possible.

*titters indeed. :)

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited July 2013
    Whatever the merits of the NHS case, I feel the tories have genuinely got under the left's skin for the first time since dear old Gordon was at the helm in 2010.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Carola said:

Don't suppose anyone can summarise the HoC events today in words other than one side saying the other side 'lost' and vice versa?

I'll try Carola.
    MODERATED
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    MaxPB said:

Quite likely but how will this help? The public either won't notice, won't care or won't understand why a Conservative like Bercow is being slung out by Conservatives. Perhaps for not being biased enough to his own side, they might wonder.

Worse, whoever is the new Speaker will be anxious to prove he or she is not a Tory lackey.

A couple of threads back we had this link to Lord Ashcroft on Conservatives indulging themselves.
    http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2013/07/thats-enough-fantasy-politics-margaret-thatcher-day-is-not-a-vote-winner/
    Replacing Bercow is of a piece.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

The only thing that forced out the inept Michael Martin was a colossal expenses scandal that is still having the most serious reprercussions to this day.

I could see it happening. The Tories seem desperate to get rid of Bercow that they might even risk a new expenses scandal to get him out.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Charlie Harden ‏@charlieharden1 9h

Jeremy Hunt to send 'hit squads' into failing NHS trusts http://gu.com/p/3hb6g/tw via @guardian Every one of these Trusts has a PFI element
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

Mick_Pork said:

tim said:

isam said:

Spot on.

Almost. ;)

*titters

It was used by other posters before me just like TB or DC occassionally are. Since you like it so much I will of course respect your wishes and use it as much as possible.

*titters indeed. :)

toxic Osbrowne Clunk titters Cammie chortle

tumbleweed
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010
    @MaxPB

If there is so much anti-Bercow feeling, why didn't they just vote for someone else in 2010 when he had to stand for election in the new Parliament? I really do have contempt for our legislators when they have contempt for the democratic process and treat the idea of someone having to stand for re-election as somehow beneath their dignity. The anti-Bercovians should have put up an alternative candidate.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    edited July 2013
    AveryLP said:

Carola said:

I'll try Carola.

MODERATED
    Ah. Okay, don't worry. I'll catch up on it elsewhere.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Mick_Pork said:

I could see it happening.
    As could I but it won't be about the same kind of expenses claims as last time if it does happen. It will be a variation on the theme.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Carola said:

Bambi attacked the Andrex puppy. Both accused each other of being beastly and howwid. The crowd egged them on but no blood was spilled and neither of them said anything worthwhile.
  • Options

@MaxPB

If there is so much anti-Bercow feeling, why didn't they just vote for someone else in 2010 when he had to stand for election in the new Parliament? I really do have contempt for our legislators when they have contempt for the democratic process and treat the idea of someone having to stand for re-election as somehow beneath their dignity. The anti-Bercovians should have put up an alternative candidate.

Labour stitched up the process to ensure that Bercow couldn't be removed. They knew he would be a thorn in the Tory side, especially being nominally conservative.
  • Options
    tim said:

@Max

Fancy a bet that Bercow as speaker outlasts Cameron as PM?

Absolutely not.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724

Indeed. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10183304/Sketch-Therell-be-smears-before-bedtime.html

" As the Commons angrily contested the findings of the Keogh report on NHS mortality rates, Andy Burnham had some stern advice for the Tories. “The simple truth,” he snapped, “is that people watching want solutions, rather than point-scoring!”

Noble words, I’m sure we’d all agree – although perhaps with one small caveat. The Shadow Health Secretary’s words would have sounded even nobler had he said them the moment he rose to the dispatch box, rather than after spending seven minutes calling his opponents “cynical”, “outrageous”, “partisan” and “shocking”. Because spending seven minutes calling his opponents “cynical”, “outrageous”, “partisan” and “shocking” may have looked to some people like point-scoring.

Such people would have been mistaken, of course, because we know how strongly Mr Burnham disapproves of point-scoring. Indeed, he must have been livid, about 20 minutes later, when his colleague Chris Bryant (Lab, Rhondda) mockingly accused Jeremy Hunt of being “run by” Lynton Crosby, the Tory strategist. How Mr Burnham must have fumed when he heard that. “That’s nothing but point-scoring!” he must have thought. Lord knows how he resisted shouting his colleague down.

Then, as other Labour MPs repeatedly tried to drown out Mr Hunt by yelling “Shameful!”, “Terrible!” and “Disgraceful!”, it must have taken all the strength Mr Burnham had not to turn to the benches behind him and bellow, “Would you all stop trying to score points, and offer some solutions! It’s solutions that people want! Why oh why won’t you think of the people watching!”
  • Options
    Carola said:

AveryLP said:

Carola said:

I'll try Carola.

Andy Burnham or Harold Shipman?

Your call.

[Yes Keogh definitely has that bedside manner]

Ah. Okay, don't worry. I'll catch up on it elsewhere.

Sadly Seth still hasn't gotten over tipping Lansley to be the next PM. It's why he's gone a bit 'Sarah Palin' over the NHS.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    MaxPB said:

There are no moves to replace Bercow. He retains the support of virtually all MP's bar a minority of Conservatives who still haven't forgiven him for moving to the mainstream on a number of social issues prior to his Speakership.

• Options
    tim said:

@Max

How about a bet that Bercow as speaker outlasts Miliband as LoTO?

Now that's more interesting I'd have thought

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Max, whilst I would not be overwhelmed with sadness to see the Speaker tossed overboard I can't see it happening. You're spot on about Labour's deliberate gerrymandering to make the supposedly neutral holder of the office an anti-Conservative.

Mr. Smithson, I strongly suspect you'll make some money on that. Bercow loves his own voice, loves antagonising the Conservatives and it's hard to see the session being anything other than fractious.
  • Options
    timRT

An Irish first-name poster on PB to be sure or a shampoo?
  • Options
    taffys said:

Whatever the merits of the NHS case, I feel the tories have genuinely got under the left's skin for the first time since dear old Gordon was at the helm in 2010.

Hunt is a good streetfighter but I'm not sure about his political judgement ever since he stopped The Apprentice being shown because Karren Brady is a well-known Conservative and Lord Sugar was a GOAT.

Is Hunt stupidly straying onto Labour's home ground, or cleverly deploying the Rovian tactic of attacking your opponent's greatest strength? Stupid or clever? Clever or stupid?

Maybe we won't know till the details unravel about 13,000 and nurse shortages and Lansley and Burnham and PFI (Gordon Brown's worst invention).
  • Options
    tim said:

@patrickwintour: Jeremy Hunt says plain cigarette packaging delayed partly because decisions are legally fraught and there is a court case in Australia.

@MWhalan: @patrickwintour Aussie High Court rejected plain packaging challenge in 2012 http://t.co/MW82CcbKUZ

Is it now Conservative policy to opt out of the European court and into the Australian one?
  • Options
    tim said:

@patrickwintour: Jeremy Hunt says plain cigarette packaging delayed partly because decisions are legally fraught and there is a court case in Australia.

@MWhalan: @patrickwintour Aussie High Court rejected plain packaging challenge in 2012 http://t.co/MW82CcbKUZ

A cursory google would reveal that the Australian High Court judgment is subject to a related and yet to be determined 'appeal'.

Further legal challenges are pending in the World Trade Organization and under the Australia-Hong Kong Bilateral Investment Treaty.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871
    JackW said:

MaxPB said:

There are no moves to replace Bercow. He retains the support of virtually all MP's bar a minority of Conservatives who still haven't forgiven him for moving to the mainstream on a number of social issues prior to his Speakership.

Jack , FPT, my thinking is it will be in the region of 54% Yes to 46% No. Still a very lot to play for and the negativity of the NO campaign is starting to cost them , people just think it is silly now. Couple that with labour in disarray and not wanting to be seen with Tories/No campaign etc and it could be an even bigger gap.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

timRT

Talking about Irish names...

Why does the MSM insist on pronouncing Keogh as "Key-Oh"?

The proper pronunciation has to be ""Cough!".

• Options
    The tabloids hellish wait continues... ;)
    Elizabeth Windsor ‏@Queen_UK 6h

Not sure if the heir has arrived or if William is holding an audience with Clegg. http://twitpic.com/d2y7jb http://j.mp/17i4xAd #RoyalBaby
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269
    MaxPB said:

tim said:

@Max

Absolutely not.
    tim doesn't even know the name of his local MP. Pay him no mind!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

JackW said:

MaxPB said:

Jack , FPT, my thinking is it will be in the region of 54% Yes to 46% No. Still a very lot to play for and the negativity of the NO campaign is starting to cost them , people just think it is silly now. Couple that with labour in disarray and not wanting to be seen with Tories/No campaign etc and it could be an even bigger gap.
    Thanks for the reply.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

timRT

Talking about Irish names...

Why does the MSM insist on pronouncing Keogh as "Key-Oh"?

The proper pronunciation has to be ""Cough!".

Tut Tut Avery , it is "Keog" with a silent "h"
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited July 2013
    @Carola&Alanbrooke

"Bambi attacked the Andrex puppy. Both accused each other of being beastly and howwid. The crowd egged them on but no blood was spilled and neither of them said anything worthwhile."

My reading too. All I'll add is this morning i thought Burnham was a sad waste of space.

MODERATED

Very OT. Any Chagall fans around there is an exhibition at Tate Liverpool which is outstanding. I've seen his permanent exhibition in Cimiez several times but this was better. Much of the work coming from the New York Guggenheim.

PS Liverpool is full of attractive Italians and French. A very surprising city.

PPS. An exploitative exhibition of cancer sufferers by Rankin at the Walker. Avoid at all costs. Puerile crap. Someone needs to snap his trigger finger
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    JackW said:

malcolmg said:

JackW said:

MaxPB said:

Thanks for the reply.

Jack, will also be interesting to see how the "Common Weal" proposals by Jimmy Reid Foundation progress. They have had a lot of good press and SNP top brass are debating them soon , lots of civic groups, unions etc like them and they could prove to be very popular unless you pay high rate tax.

Right wing as I am I personally like the look of them even though it would be likely to cost me money.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I doubt tim knows that Australia has a common law legal system and is therefore more similar to our own than most European nations' civil law legal systems.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    That pb Hansard in full:

THE SPEAKER: ORDER, ORDER, ORRRRRDER, Mr tim, I am most concerned about your health. ORRRDERR. All this shouting and thrashing. ORRRRDERRR, No Mr. Neil, I don't need your advice - shut it. ORRDER. Mr tim, ORRRDER, you must control yourself man, or take the dog for a walk. Get a grip, get a grip I say. The public hate it. ORRRDER, And I hate it. And Sally hates it....Mr. Secretary Nabavi

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,974
    tim said:

On PMQs Ed should go in hard on "As a Father" Dave's posturing that he was protecting kids from chocolate oranges but caving in to tobacco lobbying before he tackles the NHS stuff and Cameron's personal lies about a reorganisation and nursing staffing.

How about 'as a father' Ed concerned about his children seeing sexual images online?
    Mr Miliband spoke of his experience of fathering two young sons and warned about the “mixed messages” they received.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/10146991/Ed-Miliband-warning-over-sexualised-images-targeted-at-children-online.html
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Roger said:

@Carola&Alanbrooke

"Bambi attacked the Andrex puppy. Both accused each other of being beastly and howwid. The crowd egged them on but no blood was spilled and neither of them said anything worthwhile."

My reading too. All I'll add is this morning i thought Burnham was a sad waste of space. By this evening having picked up bits on the radio he sounded a lot better and for that he can thank Hunt for his '13,000' briefing which exploded unexpectedly in his face.

Very OT. Any Chagall fans around there is an exhibition at Tate Liverpool which is outstanding. I've seen his permanent exhibition in Cimiez several times but this was better. Much of the work coming from the New York Guggenheim.

PS Liverpool is full of attractive Italians and French. A very surprising city.

PPS. An exploitative exhibition of cancer sufferers by Rankin at the Walker. Avoid at all costs. Puerile crap. Someone needs to snap his trigger finger

Meanwhile outside the political bubble the nation faces up to the big questions - sausage or chicken leg ? work at home or go in and enjoy the air conditioning ?

And the political anoraks just stay overheated.
  • Options
    About 2 hours ago I left to cook and relax. I come back briefly and Tim is still on here as he's been all day smearing and trolling for mascara man. Unlike the portly Mr pork I don't chortle but I almost wish I could.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

On PMQs Ed should go in hard on "As a Father" Dave's posturing that he was protecting kids from chocolate oranges but caving in to tobacco lobbying before he tackles the NHS stuff and Cameron's personal lies about a reorganisation and nursing staffing.

How about 'as a father' Ed concerned about his children seeing sexual images online?
    Mr Miliband spoke of his experience of fathering two young sons and warned about the “mixed messages” they received.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/10146991/Ed-Miliband-warning-over-sexualised-images-targeted-at-children-online.html
    If Ed is stupid enough to use his children to make political promises which then breaks he deserves all he gets.

Have you noticed Sam Cam wants to intervene in Syria "As a mother"

They must've replaced those " I don't recall" practice sessions in Number ten with something else.

"As a Father I'd like some more potatoes". "As a Mother I will pass them to you"

Your usual, boring system. Get something someone says and make spurious connections to other items in a frantic attempt to create a story.

Spin, in other words. And rather thin, pathetic stuff.

As a matter of interest, in all the posts you have made today about the NHS, have you expressed any concern for the patients who were let down by the service?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @scampi

'About 2 hours ago I left to cook and relax. I come back briefly and Tim is still on here as he's been all day smearing and trolling for mascara man.'

After almost round the clock posting Tim's convinced Pork & Ben M,but Roger's still undecided.

Titters..
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@scampi

'About 2 hours ago I left to cook and relax. I come back briefly and Tim is still on here as he's been all day smearing and trolling for mascara man.'

After almost round the clock posting Tim's convinced Pork & Ben M,but Roger's still undecided.

Titters..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M68GeL8PafE

Titters...

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Morris, I cannot see the Speaker being tossed over board, but I can see a clear risk of Bercow being hoist by his own petard in this Parliament.

Mr. Max, whilst I would not be overwhelmed with sadness to see the Speaker tossed overboard I can't see it happening. You're spot on about Labour's deliberate gerrymandering to make the supposedly neutral holder of the office an anti-Conservative.

Mr. Smithson, I strongly suspect you'll make some money on that. Bercow loves his own voice, loves antagonising the Conservatives and it's hard to see the session being anything other than fractious.

• Options
    I don't see how they think ditching Bercow will make it any better. Surely it will be a Speaker from the Labour party at the next selection.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Cameron briefing that Miliband should move Burnham from health.

Wise advice.

But is Ed strong enough to take it?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Same old nasty party.
    jackie colleton ‏@jackcolleton 2m

'Bedroom tax' puts added burden on disabled people http://gu.com/p/3h9yc/tw via @guardian
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Cameron briefing that Miliband should move Burnham from health brief.

Wise advice.

He's only saying it to keep Burnham exactly where he is.
  • Options
    RobD said:

AveryLP said:

Wise advice.

He's only saying it to keep Burnham exactly where he is.
    Even Ed is bright enough not to fall for that one,

• Options
    AveryLP said:

The reshuffle of the Cabinet offers the perfect opportunity for Ed to move him if he so choses. Of course that is assuming there is a simultaneous Shadow Cabinet reshuffle.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Wise advice.

As wise as when Lansley was dumped like a hot lump of excrement, Seth O Logue? :)

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

As wise as when Lansley was dumped like a hot lump of excrement, Seth O Logue? :)

Perhaps he was seeking to neutralise his leadership ambitions!
  • Options
    Just now: Burnham fails to turn up for C4 News interview.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

That pb Hansard in full:

THE SPEAKER: ORDER, ORDER, ORRRRRDER, Mr tim, I am most concerned about your health. ORRRDERR. All this shouting and thrashing. ORRRRDERRR, No Mr. Neil, I don't need your advice - shut it. ORRDER. Mr tim, ORRRDER, you must control yourself man, or take the dog for a walk. Get a grip, get a grip I say. The public hate it. ORRRDER, And I hate it. And Sally hates it....Mr. Secretary Nabavi

Chortles from a sedentary position.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Andy Burnham pulls out of CH4 interview. I wonder why?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    The egregious Priti Patel has asked a Parliamentary Querstion about the number of letters the Secretary of State has received about 14 ....FOURTEEN ..... named NHS Trusts, only one of which directly affects her consituents, although admittedly perhaps another might.

How much did that cost?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    RobD said:

Mick_Pork said:

Perhaps he was seeking to neutralise his leadership ambitions!
    LOL

Perhaps he was Rob, perhaps he was. ;)

Bit of a pattern forming whereby labour's shadow cabinet is somehow managing to be as hopeless as the govt front bench. Burnham might be good on the doorstep but if he can't handle the risible Hunt then he's dead weight.

• Options
    tim said:

tim said:

tim said:

If Ed is stupid enough to use his children to make political promises which then breaks he deserves all he gets.

Have you noticed Sam Cam wants to intervene in Syria "As a mother"

They must've replaced those " I don't recall" practice sessions in Number ten with something else.

"As a Father I'd like some more potatoes". "As a Mother I will pass them to you"
    Your usual, boring system. Get something someone says and make spurious connections to other items in a frantic attempt to create a story.

Spin, in other words. And rather thin, pathetic stuff.

As a matter of interest, in all the posts you have made today about the NHS, have you expressed any concern for the patients who were let down by the service?
    I'll leave the fake emoting to the child like backward posters who've spent the day struggling to understand basic mortality figures after trying to use what they don't understand as a weapon for the last four days

Here we have it: in your eyes people concerned about patients in the NHS are displaying fake emotion.

Pathetic, even by your low standards.

You admit you have not expressed any such concern in any of your scores of posts, and instead go on the attack against people who actually care?

The NHS is about patients, pure and simple. When it does well, it should be congratulated. When it fails, lessons should be learnt and measures put in place to prevent then happening again.

One of those has not been happening in all cases; sadly, they are the most important cases.
  • Options
    tim said:

AveryLP said:

Wise advice.

Not sure appointments are Dave's strong suit really.Or Osborne's
    tim

Burnham's a goner at health.

Keeping him in place would be providing target practice for the Tories right up to the GE.

As RobD suggests he'll go in the summer shadow cabinet reshuffle.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

JackW said:

malcolmg said:

JackW said:

MaxPB said:

Thanks for the reply.

Jack, will also be interesting to see how the "Common Weal" proposals by Jimmy Reid Foundation progress. They have had a lot of good press and SNP top brass are debating them soon , lots of civic groups, unions etc like them and they could prove to be very popular unless you pay high rate tax.

Right wing as I am I personally like the look of them even though it would be likely to cost me money.
    You can recoup losses by following the strictures of my ARSE !!

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Scott_P said:

Andy Burnham pulls out of CH4 interview. I wonder why?

Doesn't like the brand of eyeliner they use in the make-up room.

Or he's running scared after a day on the ropes.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Will Ed Miliband be forced to have to come out and publicly back or sack Andy Burnham in the next 24 hours? Not a position that Ed Miliband really wants to be pushed into either way in the run up until tomorrows PMQ's I would have thought. Failing that, if Miliband chooses to dither, he might also end up being forced to avoid issue of NHS in his PMQ's questions altogether. But again, that would be a very risky tactic from the LOTO this week in light of today's report, would look very weak indeed.
    AveryLP said:

Wise advice.

• Options

Just now: Burnham fails to turn up for C4 News interview.

If OGH is right, and Ed Miliband really is ruthless, Andy Burnham will be composing his dismissal resignation letter.

Let's see...

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    Yep, I'm sure Bercow will relish the opportunity of making the last PMQ's until September all about him.

Booster cushions at the ready.
  • Options
    The trouble for Ed is that any resignation/sacking immediately following this could be interpreted as an admission of guilt by Labour.
  • Options
    Gerry_ManderGerry_Mander Posts: 621
    RobD said:

I don't see how they think ditching Bercow will make it any better. Surely it will be a Speaker from the Labour party at the next selection.

Frank Field as speaker would be sweet revenge.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Roger,

Thanks for the advice. I've noticed the Mark Chagall adverts for a while now and as the "old gits" are meeting up in Liverpool tomorrow, I might suggest it.

Unfortunately, there are too many other attractions for us less cultured ruffians. I expect we'll end up in the Dispensary drinking Rat or something similar and then stagger back using our free bus passes.

Alternatively, I could stay indoors and debate politics after reading tim's 94th post saying the same thing. A tricky decision.

TBF to Burnham, he was only in post for nine months - eight months to discover the location of the toilets and a month to prepare speeches to help his career. That went well, then.

My view on the saga ... us old gits are taking over the health system and the costs will inevitably rise. We're more successful at keeping people alive but medicine is like the little boy with his finger in the dyke.

Cancer is a good example. We'll never find a "cure" for cancer even if we can cure a few specific ones and increase the time available for others. It's all in the genes and we have too many. It's very difficult for a cell to turn cancerous but given time, it inevitably will. The body is poised between cell proliferation and senescence - it's a fact of life, or rather death.

So the boozer it is. We'll have one for you all on PB.

• Options
    Rumour has it that there isn't going to be a reshuffle by Cameron this week, and IRRC, Miliband had ruled out any reshuffle of the Shadow Cabinet just a week or two ago. But that might change after events this week.
    RobD said:

AveryLP said:

The reshuffle of the Cabinet offers the perfect opportunity for Ed to move him if he so choses. Of course that is assuming there is a simultaneous Shadow Cabinet reshuffle.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    RobD said:

The trouble for Ed is that any resignation/sacking immediately following this could be interpreted as an admission of guilt by Labour.

Indeed and the same also applies to the inept Hunt who is quite obviously just as much of a liability. We'll get a better read once Clegg finally works out his position on the Keogh report.

• Options
    tim said:

fitalass said:

Rumour has it that there isn't going to be a reshuffle by Cameron this week, and IRRC, Miliband had ruled out any reshuffle of the Shadow Cabinet just a week or two ago. But that might change after events this week.

RobD said:

AveryLP said:

Fancy a bet on that one, anti tipster?
    tim doesn't even know the name of his local MP! How can we take him seriously?
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    fitalass said:

Will Ed Miliband be forced to have to come out and publicly back or sack Andy Burnham in the next 24 hours? Not a position that Ed Miliband really wants to be pushed into either way in the run up until tomorrows PMQ's I would have thought. Failing that, if Miliband chooses to dither, he might also end up being forced to avoid issue of NHS in his PMQ's questions altogether. But again, that would be a very risky tactic from the LOTO this week in light of today's report, would look very weak indeed.

AveryLP said:

Wise advice.

Chooses to dither? Chooses?

Does he do anything else?
  • Options
    Maybe Ed is hoping that the mother of all squirrels turns up in the next few days. Convenient timing ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    @Pork

Not a good example in that article. The son gets DLA Care Component which is to pay for the extra costs of personal care. Seems reasonable that goes towards the additional cost of a bedroom for a respite carer. And we are not told why the parents cannot work at least part time. It would be instructive to know exactly how much they receive in benefits and then we can make our own decision about whether it's enough. But we're not told that.

If one third of disabled claimants are turned down for DHPs maybe they don't need it - if the people in this article are the best example the Guardian can find, then the policy seems to be working well.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Maybe Ed is hoping that the mother of all squirrels turns up in the next few days. Convenient timing ;)

A Royal Baby born at 11:45 am tomorrow might help.

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    RobD said:

Maybe a giant sea monster will escape from "Pacific Rim".
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    What's the betting how many variations Bercow will use of his One Joke?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I have very much missed the Speaker survival betting markets. In these days of low interest, they offered a very attractive way of making tax free gains at rates that the banks simply can't match.

Since the main risk is an actuarial one on John Bercow's health, and he seems to be doing fine for a middle-aged man, odds as short as 1/8 on his survival to the end of the year look highly attractive. But sadly the bookies have desisted. Perhaps they were concerned that it was vulnerable to challenge under the Life Assurance Act 1774.
  • Options
    The birth of a Royal baby. :)
    RobD said:

• Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    AveryLP said:

RobD said:

It might, no probelm with nurse to patient ratio there.

Unlike your local NHS hospital.

• Options
    @tim

Of course, by looking at the "fake deaths" we seem to have found out that there are serious failings in 11 out of the 14 hospitals. Which of course you don't care a flying f&*% about. Oh no, it's just your repetitively pointless political point. Which turns out to have been a pretty effective bit of ambush marketing by the Tories.
  • Options

@Pork

Not a good example in that article.

You think not?

Perhaps a closer look will aid you lest you cast any more aspersions on how 'deserving' or not that family is for your PB tory welfare test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMzzkYhp0Q8

• Options
    RobD said:

Burnham has been touring every available media outlet all day. It took Ed's team until 7pm to work out that his endless cries of "why are they being mean to me" were not necessarily advantageous to his cause.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited July 2013
    tim thinks posters are salivating over unnecessary and untimely deaths of loved ones..how callous..is there something strange in the Cheshire water supply
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,301
    Ed needs to get rid of Burnham and pronto. The man has single-handedly turned Labour's banker issue of health into an albatross. The Tories polled above Labour on health when Dave was in opposition. That was unprecedented in itself. Will we soon see a Tory party in government out-poll an oppositional Labour party on the same issue? Labour must re-establish its reputation on health, which Burnham has comprehensively mangled. Ed, for god's sake wield the scalpel! Things are desperate...
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

AveryLP said:

RobD said:

It might, no probelm with nurse to patient ratio there.

Unlike your local NHS hospital.

It is my local NHS hospital.

• Options
    @Pork

As you no doubt realise, that photo has no bearing on the arguments I made in my comment.
  • Options
    Spot on, but why did it take them so long to work this one out?
    Twitter
    Jeremy Hunt ‏@Jeremy_Hunt 4h
    Watershed day. Hard for Health Sec to admit things go wrong, but I'm determined to see poor care rooted out. Transparency is disinfectant.
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

Burnham has been touring every available media outlet all day. It took Ed's team until 7pm to work out that his endless cries of "why are they being mean to me" were not necessarily advantageous to his cause.

• Options
    Next said:

What's the betting how many variations Bercow will use of his One Joke?

Maybe he'll squee about the Royal child in the same dignified manner as the Queen when she was in the house. A "kaliedoscope" kid. ;)
This discussion has been closed.