Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Article 50 Supreme Court case betting moves a notch to the

SystemSystem Posts: 11,006
edited December 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Article 50 Supreme Court case betting moves a notch to the government on the first morning – but still behind

If you’ve got lots of time on your hands you can watch the case live here.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,841
    Second like Remain.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Paul Joseph Watson
    With 35% of the Wisconsin recount done, Trump has EXTENDED his lead by 39 votes.
  • Options
    I'd make the true odds something like 55% Do Not Overrule, 45% Overrule.
  • Options
    Former Fifa president Sepp Blatter's six-year ban from football has been upheld after an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas).

My heart bleeds...
  • Options
    OJ Simpson it ain't

Nonsense, this is like the OJ Simpson trial on speed.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    edited December 2016
    Sorry to go OT so soon...
    You couldn't make it up: Swinney bars NO2NP spokesperson from Engagement Process meeting: http://no2np.org/swinney-leaves-no2nps-campaign-spokesman-cold/

The Government doesn’t seem to realise you can have a principled disagreement on an issue and still be capable of making a worthwhile contribution to the debate. That’s the way politics works. It seems rather petty to exclude us like this.
  • Options
    OT

Angie
    Never seen this before. This man punched a kangaroo in the face to save his dog https://t.co/5YWiOovLQ7

Seemed like an even bout
  • Options
    If you want boring

Go to page 6 of this latest OFCOM publication.

The Pinky Pinky Kanshi Radio, 30 June 2016, 01:59 and 1 September 2016, 00:05 complaint

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0025/95137/Issue-318-of-Ofcoms-Broadcast-and-On-Demand-Bulletin,-to-be-published-on-5-December-2016-revision-01.pdf

Contains a lot of NSFW words
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905

I'd make the true odds something like 55% Do Not Overrule, 45% Overrule.

Another lawyer I spoke to - who has worked closely with Supreme Court - said it could go either way.

On the basis of that + your opinion I'm backing the government...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,283
    edited December 2016
    On topic, If there were a market on Jeremy Wright getting sacked in the next reshuffle, put your house* on it.

*Not your actual house of course
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    The first 5 minutes after lunch are always a bit hairy. These are not the sort of people you want to have discussing and mulling over what you have been saying when you are still up there as a target.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    I take it the Supreme Court has been to lunch - I wondered what they had?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The first 5 minutes after lunch are always a bit hairy. These are not the sort of people you want to have discussing and mulling over what you have been saying when you are still up there as a target.

This must be like a viva to the power of 11, where the interviewers are the smartest people you'll ever meet, I imagine.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Well everyone knows they have a continental breakfast, and not the full English because they hate the UK
  • Options
    Whenever I see Nigel Farage on TV I think "Christ".
  • Options

Whenever I see Nigel Farage on TV I think "Christ".
    Very good
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    I believe it was emulsified high-fat offal tubes for lunch.
  • Options

On topic, If there were a market on Jeremy Wright getting sacked in the next reshuffle, put your house* on it.

One of Cameron's boys......wonder if May would bring back Grieve (an Oxford contemporary)?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691
    Forget about ambassador for the United Kingdom - a mere bauble. Nigel Farage is the personal envoy of Jesus Christ himself.
  • Options
    Which prophecy? The one with the four horsemen?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Well everyone knows they have a continental breakfast, and not the full English because they hate the UK
    :lol:
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    Note the American spelling. Obviously a 5th columnist.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Forget about ambassador for the United Kingdom - a mere bauble. Nigel Farage is the personal envoy of Jesus Christ himself.
    He's not - he's just a very naughty boy.

Fruitcakes anyone?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
  • Options

One of Cameron's boys......wonder if May would bring back Grieve (an Oxford contemporary)?
    Grieve back? That will finally break the Daily Mail as it splutters to death.
  • Options
    I know I'm going to regret asking this but why is the Leprechaun wearing a Star of David?

https://twitter.com/SiobhanFenton/status/805766031931273216
  • Options

I know I'm going to regret asking this but why is the Leprechaun wearing a Star of David?

with a jewish star? Irish jewish free state?
  • Options

Not sure Wright is a Cameroon, went to a much better uni than Dave, Exeter.

I'd love to see Grieve back.
  • Options

I think that's actually David Davis heading in to one of his meetings with the EU reps.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,881
  • Options
    For the benefit of the Mail, the Express, the Telegraph and the WTW Leavers:

https://t.co/4ZvLBZNLmE

"Secondly, it is right to record that at the direction of the court, the registrar has asked all the
    parties involved in these proceedings whether they wish to ask any of the justices to stand down. All parties to the appeal have stated that they have no objection to any of us sitting on this appeal." (bottom of page 1, top of page 2)

Can we now hear no more about the question of whether any of the judges are inappropriately biased?
  • Options

DavidL said:

This must be like a viva to the power of 11, where the interviewers are the smartest people you'll ever meet, I imagine.
    You'd hope so but the earlier confusion about volume numbers is hardly encouraging.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    About 10 secs into the clip look who appears. Thought first sighting of this on Twitter was a photoshop but.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Yep. I have seen very senior counsel genuinely shaking before going in. And that was with 5 Justices. In my experience you normally just about get through your opening remarks before they start to say, yes, yes but what we want to know about is X and your prepared speech goes in the bin.

Even amongst those seriously clever people Sumption stood out. A remarkable man.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578

And why have John Lewis sent a van full of protesters?
  • Options
  • Options
    This is a tricky bit. It is the slightly unguarded comments that they are always likely to seize on and tear apart.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,572
    edited December 2016

Why did Cameron sack him? Being disobliging over the ECHR? 'Time for young blood'?

If so, May unlikely to be a fan - though lawyers who disagree with you are much more useful than lawyers who agree with you.....
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited December 2016

"Secondly, it is right to record that at the direction of the court, the registrar has asked all the
    parties involved in these proceedings whether they wish to ask any of the justices to stand down. All parties to the appeal have stated that they have no objection to any of us sitting on this appeal." (bottom of page 1, top of page 2)

Can we now hear no more about the question of whether any of the judges are inappropriately biased?

As if any of the parties would risk asking for them to stand down.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    edited December 2016
    I was there that day, on the inside of Stowe. Frustratingly we had been sat on the bank of the bridge on the Hanger Straight. If only we'd stayed there!
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

Perhaps they are filming their Christmas 2017 advert, and have decided to go in a slightly different artistic direction with it.
  • Options

That depends on the result.....as any fule no.......
  • Options

Why did Cameron sack him? Being disobliging over the ECHR? 'Time for young blood'?

If so, May unlikely to be a fan - though lawyers who disagree with you are much more useful than lawyers who agree with you.....
    The sackings of both Dominic Grieve and Edward Garnier was a terrible mistake by Dave.

I think it was a shameful sop to the Eurosceptics by ditching the ECHR supporters
  • Options

I'm more interested to know which of the Bible says that Britain's destiny is different from Europe's
  • Options
    Oh FFS Boris -- don't you know Theresa May was firm on this point throughout her time as Home Secretary? Even if she was wrong then and is wrong now, the PM is at least consistent.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,572
    edited December 2016
    FF43 said:

I'm more interested to know which of the Bible says that Britain's destiny is different from Europe's
    The King James Bible, obvs.......

Edit - the story of the creation of the King James Bible is fascinating - it was created by committees of committees - anything less likely to succeed would be difficult to imagine - and yet it's a triumph of English literature......and obviously jolly prescient when it comes to BREXIT...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    As I said this morning, once the EU opened the door to a transactional migration system the whole thing will be much smoother. The issues will be getting a treaty written up which doesn't need unanimous ratification but also ensuring that British companies have full access to the EU single market after we leave. If the final settlement looks like my basic three point plan from the previous thread then it would be a very good deal for both sides.

What also spoke volumes was Carney telling the EU that it faces a huge cash crunch if there is a hard Brexit. Some of us have been saying it for a while, but London's deep capital markets finance European industries and governments, without unfettered access there would be a massive credit crunch for Europe as they struggle to build a Eurozone capital market out of basically zero. Investment here would be damped by hard Brexit, but European companies who raise money in London will find it tough to fund investments in the short term until either a workaround is found or capital markets adjust and some activity moves to the EMU.

Hard Brexit will be as bad for the EU as it would be for us, hurrah to Carney for telling it how it is to the EU and our JRM/IDS wing.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    The long white haired judge is going to rule against the Gov't, nailed on.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yep. I have seen very senior counsel genuinely shaking before going in. And that was with 5 Justices. In my experience you normally just about get through your opening remarks before they start to say, yes, yes but what we want to know about is X and your prepared speech goes in the bin.

Even amongst those seriously clever people Sumption stood out. A remarkable man.
    How much does the government QC get paid for this case I wonder? Win or lose, I don't even him.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited December 2016
    FF43 said:

Probably Revelations, that is where most of the psychotic bits are...
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

I suspect he is assonated with one of the offshoot of the 'British Israelism' movement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Israelism

I once went on a date with a New Zeeland Girl who it turned out believed in 'British Isralisum' - not the best date I've ever been on, but not the worst ether.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Edit - the story of the creation of the King James Bible is fascinating - it was created by committees of committees - anything less likely to succeed would be difficult to imagine - and yet it's a triumph of English literature......and obviously jolly prescient when it comes to BREXIT...
    I thought maybe this passage from Jermiah:

I will summon all the peoples of the north under Nigel Farage of Britain, whom I have appointed as my deputy.," declares the LORD, "and I will bring them against this superstate and its inhabitants and against all the surrounding nations. I will completely destroy them and make them an object of horror and scorn, and an everlasting ruin.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

Sorry to go OT so soon...
    You couldn't make it up: Swinney bars NO2NP spokesperson from Engagement Process meeting: http://no2np.org/swinney-leaves-no2nps-campaign-spokesman-cold/

The Government doesn’t seem to realise you can have a principled disagreement on an issue and still be capable of making a worthwhile contribution to the debate. That’s the way politics works. It seems rather petty to exclude us like this.

Sounds perfectly reasonable. They are not there to discuss the fact these whacko's don't like it, they are there to discuss with stakeholders how to proceed.
  • Options

As if any of the parties would risk asking for them to stand down.

Meaning what? If they have any concerns, it would surely be a duty to raise it. Even if they felt it would be inadvisable to raise it, by not raising it, it fatally undermines anyone seeking to complain later.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited December 2016
    BigRich said:

I suspect he is assonated with one of the offshoot of the 'British Israelism' movement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Israelism

I once went on a date with a New Zeeland Girl who it turned out believed in 'British Isralisum' - not the best date I've ever been on, but not the worst ether.
    I once met a rather elderly Welsh lady who was into it. Must be long dead now. Bit surprised it has younger adherents, particularly so far afield!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I would read almost nothing into the questions that any of the judges ask. They will test and probe for weaknesses - that is their job.

I would read a lot more into the answers that the barristers give to those questions.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Probably Revelations, that is where most of the psychotic bits are...
    I'm going to be a pedant and point out that it is the Book of Revelation, not Revelations.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Keep meaning to read about it. For some reason I recalled this book review.

http://www.economist.com/node/1714714
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I would read almost nothing into the questions that any of the judges ask. They will test and probe for weaknesses - that is their job.

I would read a lot more into the answers that the barristers give to those questions.
    I would hope that is the case - I would think it useful to ask very difficult questions, as if they cannot appropriate deal with them, what does it say about their case. I guess we'll see when we see what interventions are made during the other lot.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

How much does the government QC get paid for this case I wonder? Win or lose, I don't even him.
    Easy money for him, will need a wheelbarrow to take away his loot. All he has to do is talk some bollox , get a new one ripped and go collect his wheelbarrow.
  • Options
    Wait, people pronounce EFTA as 'Eff-tah'?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Easy money for him, will need a wheelbarrow to take away his loot. All he has to do is talk some bollox , get a new one ripped and go collect his wheelbarrow.
    Better a job he does more opportunities later, I would imagine. So worth doing a great job.
  • Options
    UK Supreme Court
    Draft transcript from this morning now online - we'll endeavour to get these up as soon as poss throughout the week https://t.co/4ZvLBZNLmE
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    - Do we have any evidence about the Great Repeal Bill? Has there been anything other than what was said at the Conservative Party conference?
    - Pass.

Oh dear...
  • Options
    They're past the Long Title of the 72 Act now - the law is swift.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306

No. Why should what the parties think dictate what any private individual thinks?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

FF43 said:

Keep meaning to read about it. For some reason I recalled this book review.

http://www.economist.com/node/1714714
    That's the one! Great read and fascinating account.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    kle4 said:

Wait, people pronounce EFTA as 'Eff-tah'?

Rhymes with BAFTA?
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    edit
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152

No. Why should what the parties think dictate what any private individual thinks?
    Private individuals can think what they like. But it might be better - just a thought - if they based their opinions on some actual knowledge.

If the parties thought a judge was biased or had an actual or potential conflict of interest they would be under a duty to bring that to the court's attention. Indeed, the judges themselves should consider in any case whether there is any conflict and, therefore, whether they should recuse themselves. They should certainly be transparent to the parties.

The fact that this statement has been made should put paid to some of the wilder theories around about the basis for the Court's decision. Whatever the outcome the judgment will consist of legal reasoning, with which others may or may not agree, of course. But that does not mean - without some specific evidence to support this - that the judges will have come to that legal decision because of their personal preference in relation to the question of whether or not the UK should remain in the EU.

Interpretation of the law is something rather more subtle, intelligent and beautiful than the rather crude ad hominem caricature presented by some of our dimmer journalists.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    This is not a proper court. I've not heard one person shout "objection", nor has anyone been asked to "approach the bench". Poor show indeed.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

The fact that this statement has been made should put paid to some of the wilder theories around about the basis for the Court's decision.
    Fat chance. No matter how many times the government says this is a question for the court (though they think the High Court got the answer wrong), we still have senior politicians saying otherwise. So acceptance of no bias or conflict by the parties will not prevent that being raised afterwards (unless the justices agree with the case). The corollary is usually when they agree with the government people say they don't question the government enough and are biased toward them, no doubt.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

This is not a proper court. I've not heard one person shout "objection", nor has anyone been asked to "approach the bench". Poor show indeed.

Gotta save the drama for day 3, no doubt, to ramp people up for the final day.

The lack of robes is a disgrace - our Justices have much cooler robes than the american justices, and how often do they get to wear them?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    If you want court room tension - watch the new Amazon series "Goliath" with Billy Bob Thornton - excellent drama.
  • Options
    One of the guys behind the government QC looks uncannily like the lead from How I Met Your Mother. I may be flagging.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The Daily Mail gave him only a 1 out of 5 enemy of the people rating and said he was 'the most brilliant advocate of his generation'.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The Daily Mail gave him only a 1 out of 5 enemy of the people rating and said he was 'the most brilliant advocate of his generation'.
    Who got 5 out of 5?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    kle4 said:

Anorak said:

The lack of robes is a disgrace - our Justices have much cooler robes than the american justices, and how often do they get to wear them?
    It would make my month if one of them dared get the phrase "you can't handle to truth" into proceedings :D
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Who got 5 out of 5?
    Neuberger, Hale, Mance and Carnwath.
  • Options
    Looking at the still image of the entire court on the front page of the BBC, it looks like the table was not designed to sit all 11 at once. Each one gets a separating table section to store papers on, but the end two on each side do not, and they've put some ikea cabinets or something on the end for them.
  • Options

Never knowingly undertrolled.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Not only no robes, no wigs. Humbug! As poor a show as when Bercow decided the appropriate dress for Speaker was the outfit of a supply teacher.
  • Options

Never knowingly undertrolled.
    Bravo, sir.
  • Options

Not only no robes, no wigs. Humbug! As poor a show as when Bercow decided the appropriate dress for Speaker was the outfit of a supply teacher.

kle4 said:

Anorak said:

The lack of robes is of long historical standing. The precursor to the Supreme Court was the House of Lords, and House of Lords judges didn't wear robes either (being lords, of course).
  • Options
    Anorak said:

kle4 said:

Anorak said:

It would make my month if one of them dared get the phrase "you can't handle to truth" into proceedings :D
    "With respect, my lords, pertaining to the question of truth in this matter, considering the precedents espoused and the legislative norms detailed at some length, it is our contention that the parties, and perhaps indeed some of their lordships, have demonstrated they find themselves insufficient to process the fundamentals of this particular truth."
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, ermine would also be acceptable.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Anorak said:

The lack of robes is of long historical standing. The precursor to the Supreme Court was the House of Lords, and House of Lords judges didn't wear robes either (being lords, of course).
    I know, but a shame as they are very nice robes I think.
  • Options

We aren't yet over the £5 note tallow crisis. I don't think we're yet ready for fur.
  • Options

We aren't yet over the £5 note tallow crisis. I don't think we're yet ready for fur.
    I believe all ermie in new Lords' robes is fake. I wonder if they have replaced the older ones.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, tallow - bad for notes and for candles. Should've used beeswax.

• Options

I'm not sure where vegans stand on beeswax. I know that honey is a subject of hot debate in such circles.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

I'm not sure where vegans stand on beeswax. I know that honey is a subject of hot debate in such circles.
    Sounds like an ordinary dinner party in Primrose Hill.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, yet another advantage of the Morris Dancer approach to food. If it is tasty, it may be consumed [in small quantities, of course. One wouldn't want to get fat].

Used to sometimes have honey on toast. It's rather nice (don't have toast often, though).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

One of the guys behind the government QC looks uncannily like the lead from How I Met Your Mother. I may be flagging.

You might be watching the wrong channel?
  • Options
    Mr. Song, if he's watching a channel that doesn't have live coverage of the Supreme Court, one might argue he's watching the right channel.
  • Options
    XKCD inadvertently weighs in on Brexit:

http://xkcd.com/1768/
  • Options
    Switching back for a moment to the leaked memo about how there needs to be action to stop leaking, what did they think would happen? I can think of few things that would be more likely to be leaked.
This discussion has been closed.