Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The final PB/Polling Matters Podcast of 2016: Looking back at

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited December 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The final PB/Polling Matters Podcast of 2016: Looking back at an incredible and unpredictable political year

On this week’s episode of the PB/Polling Matters show Keiran Rob and Leo look back at 2016 and discuss the results from the recent survey of PB/Polling Matters listeners where more than 600 people took part. We discuss what our biggest shock of 2016 was, who the biggest winners and losers were and our defining moments of 2016. We also take some time to read out some comments from listeners and mull over what 2017 might bring.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First like every underdog in 2016.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937
    Distant second.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Fourth, like Labour...
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Scott_P said:

Fourth, like Labour...

But that's ok, they were worried they might come 5th.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Leicester rugby side trying to match the performance of the football team
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Fifth, not even Corbyn has managed that in a Westminster election.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Fifth, not even Corbyn has managed that in a Westminster election.

Yeh, but he's certainly working on it.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited December 2016
    For me, unoriginally enough, the biggest surprise this year was our voting to leave the EU. I always thought we'd leave eventually, as we are completely out of sympathy with the direction the EU is headed, and it had very little popular support in England, but until the last few weeks before the vote, I didn't believe we'd do it this time. I thought we'd probably leave because of the referendum lock a few years down the line.

With hindsight, we should have left in 1991 or 92 when it first became clear we and the EU were heading in different directions, and before the EU had its tentacles in quite so many parts of our national life. But we didn't, and it is now more intrusive and difficult to leave because of that.

An almost equally big shock has been our failure to fall into a recession, although of course there's always time for that down the line. The exchange rate has taken the strain, vindicating our decision to stay outside the Euro once again.
  • Options
    Mr. Fishing, I was more surprised by the Trump result than the EU one. That said, Rosberg retiring was even more surprising :p
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Mr. Fishing, I was more surprised by the Trump result than the EU one. That said, Rosberg retiring was even more surprising :p

Funnily enough, I was less surprised by that one. Firstly, a shrewd American friend of mine predicted he'd win last December (and my friend backed Apple in 1996), and secondly, TV stars do well in personality-driven elections (Boris, Schwarzenegger). Not saying I wasn't surprised, just less so.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Foxes on fire.
  • Options
    You squeeze the balloon, and it pops up elsewhere.

Islamic State fighters 're-enter ancient Palmyra' in Syria

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-38275905

Bu**er.
  • Options
    Actually, neither Trump nor Brexit were as much of a surprise to me as the Conservatives winning a majority last year.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    edited December 2016
    Mr. Fishing, whoever would've guessed that Miliband would turn out to be crap?

Edited extra bit: that said, Labour would be in a far better state if he'd stayed on.

Just listening to the podcast, about 17-18 minutes in, and must disagree with the chap implying it was ludicrous that Farage 'has changed the destiny of Europe' or words to that effect.

Like him or loathe him, it's because of Farage, in large part, we got a referendum, and are (probably) leaving the EU.
  • Options
    GoupillonGoupillon Posts: 79
    edited December 2016
    My goodness a large voodoo poll in Sunderland comes up with an incredible turnaround on how they voted on Brexit.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/politics/sunderland-echo-poll-shows-u-turn-on-brexit-1-8282851
  • Options
    Leicester 3 up after 20 mins v City - amazing game
  • Options
    Perhaps the Labour left and Labour right could unite around their mutual contempt for the British working class.
  • Options
    @Andrew_ComRes: ComRes for Indie / S Mirror NET favourability ranking (1/2)

May +9
    BoJo -6
    Ed Balls -11
    Con Party -12
    P Hammond -12
    Lab Party -17

@Andrew_ComRes: ComRes for Indie / S Mirror NET favourability ranking (2/2)

McDonnell -19
    Farage -26
    Corbyn -26
    P Nuttall -32
    G Osborne -39
    Trump -52
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    MsNBC reports that Trump has picked Exxon Mobil chief Rex Tillerson for SOS post. No word yet on Fox or CNN.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Poor Nuttall
  • Options
    Appalling bias on the podcast, mentioned Wales reaching the semi-final but not Rosberg.

• Options

Poor Nuttall

@Andrew_ComRes: 84% of UKIP voters favourable towards Nigel Farage, 54% favourable towards UKIP leader Paul Nuttall (ComRes for Independent/S Mirror)
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited December 2016
    Hard to see an individual with a -32 favourability rating be the right leader to broaden UKIP's support.
  • Options
    How much of Nuttall's poor rating is simply lack of recognition?
  • Options
    To be fair to AA Gill, having a life and career centred on eating in expensive restaurants in southern England made him as natural a EUphile as someone named AA Tusk-Juncker.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

To be fair to AA Gill, having a life and career centred on eating in expensive restaurants in southern England made him as natural a EUphile as someone named AA Tusk-Juncker.

And don't forget the English-hating.
  • Options

Appalling bias on the podcast, mentioned Wales reaching the semi-final but not Rosberg.

Didn't realize that Rosberg made the semi-final :smile:
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,381
    I just love being blasted by A A Gill's anti- Brexit views when the man himself is barely cold. Morgue-raiding remoaners it their tasteless best.
  • Options

How much of Nuttall's poor rating is simply lack of recognition?

They only include the + and - ratings from people who recognise the subjects don't they?
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, not sure. But then another filter would apply: Nuttall hasn't had much time to make his mark or do anything.

Mr. B, you silly man. Go and get me a shrubbery.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2016
    That "Dr" Nuttall, the ex professional footballer, to you ;-)
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited December 2016
    Goupillon said:

My goodness a large voodoo poll in Sunderland comes up with an incredible turnaround on how they voted on Brexit.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/politics/sunderland-echo-poll-shows-u-turn-on-brexit-1-8282851

That article is really frustrating.

I can see lots of numbers and analysis and comments but no mention of the actual percentage in their poll.

I want to read the sentence "today, only x% want brexit" but it doesn't seem to have been included in the article.

All we know is that it's under half. Which is only mildly interesting.
  • Options
    This seems ripe for comments:

Brussels unveils €321m 'Space Egg' HQ

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/38268659
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717
    SeanT said:

Goupillon said:

The most recent (non-voodoo) YouGov poll of the country, two days ago, still shows a narrow majority for LEAVE.
    It seems unlikely huge numbers have changed their minds, particularly as any aftershocks have not occurred, nor have we even started the process and done very well/very badly. I would think these sorts of polls would be frustrating for any remainers who are hoping for a reprieve, since it'll sound great, but ain't no party going to advocate acting on mere polls that indicate regret. If 75% of Sleaford had voted for the LD, that might have prompted more to put their heads above the parapet.
  • Options
    On an AA Gill related theme does anyone know who the art critic referred to here is:

' It is the same snobbery that caused an eminent art critic to recently opine on Radio 4 that he hadn’t seen a few Caravaggios being shown off in a London exhibition – because they had been “hidden away in places like Hull and Preston”. They might as well have been on the moon, though he would no doubt have seen them had they been hung in Florence or Paris. '

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/09/northerners-voting-brexit-north-south

Just as school trips are used to show foreign countries to British kids or in an domestic equivalent to show London to non-London kids or farms to urban kids perhaps its time that some of the 'metropolitan elite' took an opportunity to see Blueland.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited December 2016
    Pong said:

Goupillon said:

That article is really frustrating.

I can see lots of numbers and analysis and comments but no mention of the actual percentage in their poll.

I want to read the sentence "today, only x% want brexit" but it doesn't seem to have been included in the article.

All we know is that it's under half. Which is only mildly interesting.
    http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/politics/poll-how-would-you-vote-if-the-eu-referendum-was-held-today-1-8279953

58% remain

But it's a clickr poll so ignore.
  • Options

Mr. Divvie, not sure. But then another filter would apply: Nuttall hasn't had much time to make his mark or do anything.

He's been on that great signifier of political impact QT a few times; those appearances certainly helped me to form an opinon on him.
  • Options
    Less reds under the bed, more like reds driving the bus...
  • Options
    The picture of the Brussels "Space Egg" reminded me of this, I'm afraid.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUrsvegCkEc
  • Options

The Yolk's on EU fans!
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/807648441262219264

2011: Merry Christmas.
    2012: Merry Christmas.
    2013: Merry Christmas.
    2014: Merry Christmas.
    2015: Merry Christmas.
    2016: 'We're going to start saying "Merry Christmas" again!'
    Oh.
    Merry Christmas.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited December 2016
    SeanT said:

On an AA Gill related theme does anyone know who the art critic referred to here is:

' It is the same snobbery that caused an eminent art critic to recently opine on Radio 4 that he hadn’t seen a few Caravaggios being shown off in a London exhibition – because they had been “hidden away in places like Hull and Preston”. They might as well have been on the moon, though he would no doubt have seen them had they been hung in Florence or Paris. '

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/09/northerners-voting-brexit-north-south

Just as school trips are used to show foreign countries to British kids or in an domestic equivalent to show London to non-London kids or farms to urban kids perhaps its time that some of the 'metropolitan elite' took an opportunity to see Blueland.

I met a fantastically rich eurotrashy couple on safari in Kenya in June this year. He was Italian-Iranian, she was Italian-French (I think). They both lived in London, and had done so for a decade, and loved the city.

I asked them what other parts of the UK they liked and she reluctantly admitted (tho without great embarrassment) that the only part of the UK she had ever been to outside London was Windsor, and then she asked me, "does that count, is that outside London"?

These people travelled the world constantly, Kenya to America, Tuscany to Provence, but they knew and saw nothing - literally NOTHING - of the UK, despite living in the capital of the UK for a decade.

An extreme case, clearly, but very striking.
    Thing is London is by far the biggest tourist drawer in the UK. We do not have the sunshine of Spain, Italy, the south of France or Florida and California to draw many visitors for their summer holidays. Unless you are a keen rambler and want to visit the Lake District or walk the Cornish coastal paths or a history buff who likes visiting castles and cathedrals or a keen Shakespeare fan you are unlikely to visit the UK beyond London. How many Brits have visited Germany or Canada for instance which have similar climates to our own?
  • Options

It'll be full of eggsperts, eggxerting themselves. Eggcellent. Eggs post facto and all that.

Sorry, these are eggxcruciatingly bad puns.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Welcome back @isam.

It would be nice to see the return of @nigelforengland.
  • Options

He's been on that great signifier of political impact QT a few times; those appearances certainly helped me to form an opinon on him.
    Nuttall has none of the Farage alchemy. I suspect Nigel knows this too which is why - given also Nigel's contemptuous remarks about the UKIP rank and file, and his gloating predictions of further upheavals in 2017 - it's safe to assume that, with Banks's money, Nigel plans to begin the importation of Trumpism into Britain next year.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

I met a fantastically rich eurotrashy couple on safari in Kenya in June this year. He was Italian-Iranian, she was Italian-French (I think). They both lived in London, and had done so for a decade, and loved the city.

I asked them what other parts of the UK they liked and she reluctantly admitted (tho without great embarrassment) that the only part of the UK she had ever been to outside London was Windsor, and then she asked me, "does that count, is that outside London"?

These people travelled the world constantly, Kenya to America, Tuscany to Provence, but they knew and saw nothing - literally NOTHING - of the UK, despite living in the capital of the UK for a decade.

Thing is London is by far the biggest tourist drawer in the UK. We do not have the sunshine of Spain, Italy, the south of France or Florida and California to draw many visitors for their summer holidays. Unless you are a keen rambled and want to visit the Lake District or walk the Cornish coastal paths or a history buff who likes visiting castles and cathedrals or a keen Shakespeare fan you are unlikely to visit the UK beyond London. How many Brits have visited Germany or Canada for instance which have similar climates to our own?
    I've been to Berlin (2002) and Banff, Alberta (2005).

Continuing my exploration of the UK rail network - yesterday, I did the Manchester Airport and East Didsbury lines of the Metrolink tram, just Rochdale line left!

I changed trams at Chorlton, so I've have this ditty in my head all day: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_NUXnl49RI
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

It'll be full of eggsperts, eggxerting themselves. Eggcellent. Eggs post facto and all that.

U ok hen?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

How many pb-ers have actually been to Preston or Hull ?

(I'd be surprised if there are any Caravaggios in either place, but the essential point that the Arts World is absurdly over-concentrated in London is surely true).
  • Options

RIP His TV review was always by far the best bit of the ST magazine
  • Options

Bu**er.

They have entered a warehouse on the outskirts, the army still control the City itself
  • Options

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Thing is London is by far the biggest tourist drawer in the UK. We do not have the sunshine of Spain, Italy, the south of France or Florida and California to draw many visitors for their summer holidays. Unless you are a keen rambled and want to visit the Lake District or walk the Cornish coastal paths or a history buff who likes visiting castles and cathedrals or a keen Shakespeare fan you are unlikely to visit the UK beyond London. How many Brits have visited Germany or Canada for instance which have similar climates to our own?

Continuing my exploration of the UK rail network - yesterday, I did the Manchester Airport and East Didsbury lines of the Metrolink tram, just Rochdale line left!

Yes but you are a seasoned traveller Sunil and I notice you went to Berlin rather than provincial Germany
  • Options

(I'd be surprised if there are any Caravaggios in either place, but the essential point that the Arts World is absurdly over-concentrated in London is surely true).
    I visited Preston station at the end of September :)
  • Options

Tim_B said:

U ok hen?
    Said the Yolker to the thief.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,407
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Thing is London is by far the biggest tourist drawer in the UK. We do not have the sunshine of Spain, Italy, the south of France or Florida and California to draw many visitors for their summer holidays. Unless you are a keen rambler and want to visit the Lake District or walk the Cornish coastal paths or a history buff who likes visiting castles and cathedrals or a keen Shakespeare fan you are unlikely to visit the UK beyond London. How many Brits have visited Germany or Canada for instance which have similar climates to our own?
    Fair enough - I'd expect London to be first on the list for foreigners visiting here - but for foreigners LIVING here - or for Londoners living here - the reluctance to go beyond zone 4 can be quite astonishing. If I lived in Berlin I'm sure I'd go and see Hamburg and Bremen and Thuringia. Britain's nice - the almost wilful ignorance towards it from some Londoners is quite baffling.
    See also the common and puzzling Metropolitan belief that London is easy for everyone else in the country to get to, but that the rest of the country is somehow very difficult for Londoners to get to. This isn't quite the same as snobbery - indeed, I've known people from the rest of the country who have moved to England adopt this view - just an intense everyone-should-come-to-us mentality. I don't think there's a word for it, but there should be.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Its a pattern I first noticed with the Blairs - taking a publicity holiday in this country away from their usual Tuscan mansions, they just looked so uncomfortable.

I wonder if there's another country where it can be considered normal, even sophisticated, to literally have no experience of life outside the big city.

To an extent the USA has the split of 'coastal elites' and 'flyover states' but I don't think its as extreme and at least the USA has size as an excuse.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,381
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Fair enough - I'd expect London to be first on the list for foreigners visiting here - but for foreigners LIVING here - or for Londoners living here - the reluctance to go beyond zone 4 can be quite astonishing. If I lived in Berlin I'm sure I'd go and see Hamburg and Bremen and Thuringia. Britain's nice - the almost wilful ignorance towards it from some Londoners is quite baffling.
    See also the common and puzzling Metropolitan belief that London is easy for everyone else in the country to get to, but that the rest of the country is somehow very difficult for Londoners to get to. This isn't quite the same as snobbery - indeed, I've known people from the rest of the country who have moved to England adopt this view - just an intense everyone-should-come-to-us mentality. I don't think there's a word for it, but there should be.
    When I lived in Sussex I barely visited London.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Yes but you are a seasoned traveller Sunil and I notice you went to Berlin rather than provincial Germany
    I've been to Parpan in not so urban eastern Switzerland (for two mini-conferences in 2009 and 2010), got to do the Zurich to Chur train, though needed a bus to get to Parpan,
  • Options

I've been to both Preston and Hull. And actually pretty much everywhere in the north, and most of the Midlands.
    I'd say the largest English city I haven't visited is Norwich. Which is very nice, I'm led to understand, and well worth a visit, but is an awful long way east - you're very seldom just passing through.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

I met a fantastically rich eurotrashy couple on safari in Kenya in June this year. He was Italian-Iranian, she was Italian-French (I think). They both lived in ntly, Kenya to America, Tuscany to Provence, but they knew and saw nothing - literally NOTHING - of the UK, despite living in the capital of the UK for a decade.

Thing is London is by far the biggest tourist drawer in the UK. We do not have the sunshine of Spain, Italy, the south of France or Florida and California to draw many visitors for their summer holidays. Unless you are a keen rambler and want to visit the Lake District or walk the Cornish coastal paths or a history buff who likes visiting castles and cathedrals or a keen Shakespeareh fan you are unlikely to visit the UK beyond London. How many Brits have visited Germany or Canada for instance which have similar climates to our own?
    True but for foreigners living in New York and maybe Paris; beyond August, I doubt it is much different
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Bu**er.

They have entered a warehouse on the outskirts, the army still control the City itself
    A few days ago, after a similar headline someone said something like: "Bah, they're not even in the city." Now it's "They're in the outskirts."

The point is that they still have viable units that are able to cause trouble and terrorise innocents. It Is is sadly too early to proclaim the death of IS.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,704

I've been to Hull. It's better than Grimsby and Cleethorpes on the other side of the Humber. Although to be fair, that's not a high bar.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Scott_P said:

@Andrew_ComRes: ComRes for Indie / S Mirror NET favourability ranking (1/2)

May +9
    BoJo -6
    Ed Balls -11
    Con Party -12
    P Hammond -12
    Lab Party -17

@Andrew_ComRes: ComRes for Indie / S Mirror NET favourability ranking (2/2)

McDonnell -19
    Farage -26
    Corbyn -26
    P Nuttall -32
    G Osborne -39
    Trump -52

Conclusive proof that @TheScreamingEagles is right. G Osborne's time has not yet come.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Very good Sunil - but did you get beyond the stations? You don't have to, of course, but some of these places are worth a look in their own right beyond the station forecourt.
    You'll have passed within half a mile of me today - I live close to Sale Water Park tram stop.
  • Options

Used to live near Preston - remember the M6 being built - and went to Hull on business several times. As Gertrude Stein wrote of Oakland, with Hull there is no there there.
  • Options

Not only have I been to them, I've only ever walked to them (and Hull twice, if you count the northern end of the Humber Bridge as Hull).

We spent an entertaining night in Preston, where we taught some local girls that Australians swear ...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

The French have a word for it - nombrilisme.
  • Options

The whole point of my Winter Exhibition programme* is to make people aware of how fabulous the collections in regional museums are.

* The next one opens at the end of January - Sussex Modernism: Retreat and Rebellion
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709

I am a big fan of regional art galleries, partly because you never know what you will find and partly because you feel they need some appreciation. I haven't been to the museums in Preston or Hull however.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Used to live near Preston - remember the M6 being built - and went to Hull on business several times. As Gertrude Stein wrote of Oakland, with Hull there is no there there.
    I'm not sure if I should actually admit this in polite company (or even in PB company), but I actually liked the very centre of Hull back in 2002. It seemed surprisingly pleasant.

Although a radio interviewer who I was talking to a couple of days before was rather alarmed at my route into the city: "I wouldn't go that way, it's too dangerous."

Really selling his city...
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/807648441262219264

2011: Merry Christmas.
    2012: Merry Christmas.
    2013: Merry Christmas.
    2014: Merry Christmas.
    2015: Merry Christmas.
    2016: 'We're going to start saying "Merry Christmas" again!'
    Oh.
    Merry Christmas.

I'm loving lots of Trump habits. Like his anti "One China" policy and this one. Excellent. Bored with Yanks saying to me: happy holidays!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I've been to Hull. It's better than Grimsby and Cleethorpes on the other side of the Humber. Although to be fair, that's not a high bar.
    On this general subject, the dull bits of England are actually quite fascinating. I used to do a job which involved going to look at potential housing sites, which can pretty much be anywhere where people live - it was fascinating, because ordinarily on your travels your obviously biased towards the interesting bits of the country, and just getting a more representative sample of what real places are like is quite refreshing. Obviously thee job is nicer when it's in places like Ryedale or South Lakeland, but it's possible to see the good in unfashionable places too, and I ended up feeling quite warmly towards outwardly dull places like Walsall and Rossendale.
    I wouldn't go as far as to say I'd go to either place on my holidays, but visiting somewhere new is always interesting.
  • Options

I've been to Hull. I've started taking my wife on trips to places outside of London as she's been here since 2005 and seen little of the country. We did Bournemouth recently, we have Swansea (long story) and Bath lined up for the Christmas/New Year break.
  • Options

Preston has a great museum although I think Blackburn's collection is better. Hartlepool has one of the best collections of publicly owned art outside London.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Both Grimsby and Cleethorpes are better than the interminable walk south to the horrors of ... Skegness.

(Shudders)
  • Options

viewcode said:

Both Grimsby and Cleethorpes are better than the interminable walk south to the horrors of ... Skegness.

(Shudders)
    Did you count the caravans ?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,767
    It's not entirely impossible we may see two new political parties in 2017.

Farage and his (as referred to earlier) Trumpites, and Blair with his somewhat cadaverous New Labour. In both cases they need some credible people to convert, but who knows.

I imagine there are other possibilities too.

Bettingwise I think you have to lay everyone in Labour as next Labour leader, but that's broadly the case anyway.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

viewcode said:

(Shudders)
    Did you count the caravans ?
    Counting caravans is nothing compared to counting beach huts on the Essex coast: afaicr they were three deep up a cliff in one town!

Edit: Frinton.
    https://www.natureflip.com/sites/default/files/photo//walton-beach-rows-of-beach-huts-above-the-beach-at-walton-on-the-naze-essex.jpg

Before I went there, all I knew of it was from a Dudley Moore and Peter Cooke sketch
    http://www.epicure.demon.co.uk/fatherandson.html
  • Options

viewcode said:

(Shudders)
    I had to go to Norwich on business some years ago - it's miles from anywhere.

I decided to go on an expedition to Great Yarmouth, Lowestoft, Beccles and Southwold. That whole East Anglia place is a different world.
  • Options

viewcode said:

(Shudders)
    But Skegness is so bracing!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Been to Preston, but not Hull.

I've seen some of the grimmest areas in the north, not least cause I once did a piece for Maxim magazine on The Roughest Pubs in Britain. My favourite was a pub in inner city Newcastle where we walked in, at 3pm ona Saturday, to see a drunken woman standing on a table trying to hit her husband with a chair (he was staggering past)

Then there was the pub in Chapeltown, Leeds, with fresh blood on the doorstep at 12 noon on a Sunday.
    20 years ago I visited several Glaswegian pubs with small windows with bars and barbed wire on them. Didn't stay long. One of them proudly proclaimed to have over 500 brands of whisky on sale.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Never been to either. In fact never been to any city in the north of England except Liverpool if that counts. The peak district is nice though.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    SeanT said:

I've seen some of the grimmest areas in the north, not least cause I once did a piece for Maxim magazine on The Roughest Pubs in Britain. My favourite was a pub in inner city Newcastle where we walked in, at 3pm ona Saturday, to see a drunken woman standing on a table trying to hit her husband with a chair (he was staggering past)

Then there was the pub in Chapeltown, Leeds, with fresh blood on the doorstep at 12 noon on a Sunday.
    Satanic rites?

Good evening, everybody.
  • Options
    Several explosions reported in the centre of Istanbul...
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

viewcode said:

(Shudders)

I decided to go on an expedition to Great Yarmouth, Lowestoft, Beccles and Southwold. That whole East Anglia place is a different world.
    Southwold is my idea of heaven. A small town, with a superb beach and an exquisite pier. But most of all: it has its own brewery! On one visit yonks ago, a road was shut after a flood of beer from a leaking tanker ...

Oh, and it used to be served by a narrow-gauge railway.

What more could a red-blooded Englishman ask for?
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Never been to either. In fact never been to any city in the north of England except Liverpool if that counts. The peak district is nice though.
    You've never been to Manchester, Leeds, Bradford, Sheffield, York, Newcastle, Hull? And presumably if you're mentioning the Peak District, never been to the Lake District, the Yorkshire Dales, the North York Moors, Northumberland? How? I'm not being rude, but assuming you're British and an adult, what extremes of geography can have led to that beeing the case?
  • Options

Tim_B said:

viewcode said:

(Shudders)

Southwold is my idea of heaven. A small town, with a superb beach and an exquisite pier. But most of all: it has its own brewery! On one visit yonks ago, a road was shut after a flood of beer from a leaking tanker ...

Southwold is indeed a wonderful place.

I also love to walk at Dunwich heath, it's a peaceful place.

Only fly in the ointment is you can see Sizewell powerstation
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    JosiasJessop said:

"Southwold is my idea of heaven. A small town, with a superb beach and an exquisite pier. But most of all: it has its own brewery!"

Snap.

On another tack and whistling into the wind I'm thinking that when The Almighty made the universe, One could not experience it. So One broke the mould and made imperfect mankind, and maybe other sentient creatures, to get down and dirty to experience it. Especially tantalizing is the mystery of which parts of pure mathematics bear on reality, and why.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,846

Tim_B said:

viewcode said:

(Shudders)

Crabs!!!
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

SeanT said:

Satanic rites?

Good evening, everybody.
    Pub in Gillingham, Kent. Mate walks into toilets to find a guy injecting heroin.

On a different day I was on a bus stopped at traffic lights outside same pub. hear a commotion and see 2 people "discussing" why another guy shouldn't have told the police they were dealing. When they saw me looking just shut gate and continued.

Gillingham was a little bit rough and ready :-)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Tim_B said:

SeanT said:

20 years ago I visited several Glaswegian pubs with small windows with bars and barbed wire on them. Didn't stay long. One of them proudly proclaimed to have over 500 brands of whisky on sale.
    Glasgow is mightily impressive, in ways good and bad. It's got wonderful Victorian architecture: world class. Especially around Merchant City.

But on a dark drizzly winter afternoon, say 3pm on a Wednesday in mid January, with the light already failing, it feels like the capital of Hell.
    My wife is from Glasgow, so I got to know it fairly well.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

'www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/09/northerners-voting-brexit-north-south

Very good Sunil - but did you get beyond the stations? You don't have to, of course, but some of these places are worth a look in their own right beyond the station forecourt.
    You'll have passed within half a mile of me today - I live close to Sale Water Park tram stop.
    I didn't know you were in Sale (I passed through Sale proper on the way to Altrincham two Fridays ago).

Some places I did make an effort. I gave myself enough time to "sea" the waterfront at both West Kirby and New Brighton on Merseyside, for example. Weymouth seafront is easy, as the station is literally 60 seconds walking distance :)

• Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276

Tim_B said:

viewcode said:

(Shudders)

A cooked breakfast?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Cookie said:

rkrkrk said:

You've never been to Manchester, Leeds, Bradford, Sheffield, York, Newcastle, Hull? And presumably if you're mentioning the Peak District, never been to the Lake District, the Yorkshire Dales, the North York Moors, Northumberland? How? I'm not being rude, but assuming you're British and an adult, what extremes of geography can have led to that beeing the case?
    You are correct in all of those. I mean I got off a coach in Newcastle once but otherwise yes.

I would say of my friends from home in the South they would be the same except a few with northern family; and the odd football match (stereotypical southern man utd fans going to old Trafford). Apart from lake district which I'm definitely unusual in not having been to.

It might be a generational thing? In my 20s...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    The end of 2016 can't come soon enough for me. Great year professionally (promoted twice) indifferent year politically, bloody awful year personally. There have just been so many deaths. Never known anything like it, and I know it's not just me or all these celebrities.

I'm just hoping 2017 has a lower mortality rate.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

MsNBC reports that Trump has picked Exxon Mobil chief Rex Tillerson for SOS post. No word yet on Fox or CNN.

Wow! That a very interesting move.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

I'm not sure if I should actually admit this in polite company (or even in PB company), but I actually liked the very centre of Hull back in 2002. It seemed surprisingly pleasant.

Although a radio interviewer who I was talking to a couple of days before was rather alarmed at my route into the city: "I wouldn't go that way, it's too dangerous."

Really selling his city...
    I was driving back from Italy and passing through Luxembourg (don't ask.....) and it was late and I was tired. Stopped to ask a woman where I could find a hotel. She saw I had elderly relatives and kids and told me to get out of there pdq. Apparently I was not in a good part of town........ ended up in hotel near airport.

Another time driving to Provence from Holland stopped in a Belgium town / city whose name I can't recall.

Drove in and parked and it turns out I was in a really seedy part of town. Asked policemen for directions to town centre and again got told to get my family out of there.

• Options
    SeanT said:

rkrkrk said:

Well then you're missing out.

Newcastle has an extremely handsome town centre and striking riverfront setting. Durham is incredible around the cathedral. York is of course wondrous.

Even Manchester is interesting, with its vital role in the industrial revolution (and Coalbrookdale is like Florence: a place where the world changed - magical and compelling).
    Only passed through Newcastle on the way to Scotland (by car and train), most recently in 2012. I do eventually want to do the Metro, as there is a station called Ilford Road :)

I'm increasingly in awe of Manchester, some seriously good architecture, old and new, loads of trains and trams, canals, and Media City(!). I've been to Manchester around 8 times this year (prior to January, I hadn't even visited the place!).
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited December 2016
    SeanT said:

Do you need to take jabs when you go out of London into the shires ?
This discussion has been closed.