Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The party leaders most opposed to BREXIT appear to be the most

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited December 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The party leaders most opposed to BREXIT appear to be the most secure in their positions

Interesting market recently gone up at William Hill – which of the main party leaders as listed will be first to leave? Going through it:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,883
    First like Leave!
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Nuttall's the only one who might not make a 2020 GE. I think we have to assume the rest are safe at this point. On at 5/2 but only for beer money.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    Glorious third!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,978
    edited December 2016
    Fabulous fourth!

Given UKIP's recent history, the odds have to be on Nuttall being the first to go. Has anyone checked to see how he signed his form yet? :)
  • Options

Fabulous fourth!

I see what you did there... ;)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    Previous thread, the Post Office is not part of Royal Mail, it is now a separate state owned organisation
  • Options
    Farron has one third of his MP's against his Brexit policy. While he seems safe he does have dissenters in his own party
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BBCkatyaadler: #Sweden is one of UK 's closest EU allies but PM Löfven warns me UK needs to be realistic re what deal is possible. More on #bbcnewsten
  • Options
    RobD said:

Fabulous fourth!

Urrrm, what?

(I've just had my first glass of wine in months, which might explain some of my (hick) posts.)
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Scott_P said:

@BBCkatyaadler: #Sweden is one of UK 's closest EU allies but PM Löfven warns me UK needs to be realistic re what deal is possible. More on #bbcnewsten

I think the EU also needs to hear that message, given the news posted in last thread.
  • Options

RobD said:

Fabulous fourth!

Urrrm, what?

(I've just had my first glass of wine in months, which might explain some of my (hick) posts.)
    Oh right, it's the Fantastic Four... :D
  • Options
    Corbyn is most likely to go after the next election, though that is no certainty, the others should survive for another election
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

I think the EU also needs to hear that message, given the news posted in last thread.
    How does the Post Office strike affect Brexit?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

A50 lost in the post?
  • Options
    RIP Ian McCaskill
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43F7qJTmRFs

I see Lord Prior has also passed away too
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38292549
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

A50 lost in the post?
    :)
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

More than one story was linked on the previous thread ;)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/12/exclusive-european-citizens-living-uk-should-remain-jurisdiction/
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

A50 lost in the post?
    The A50's a good few miles long; it'd be hard to get lost in the post (though I'd love to see the vehicle to carry it). Though the residents of Derby and Stoke may miss it ...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Not everything's about Brexit, Mike :)

Corbyn is where he is because he's a bit crap.

Nuttal because UKIP are like rats in a sack

Farron because no one cares. Sturgeon because she's doing fine for the Nats.

May because she'd none of the above.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    Charles said:

Someone once rather cattily remarked about David Frost: "Is there no beginning to his talents?"

I rather feel like that about Mrs May. Perhaps she will surprise us all. Perhaps.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Someone once rather cattily remarked about David Frost: "Is there no beginning to his talents?"

I rather feel like that about Mrs May. Perhaps she will surprise us all. Perhaps.

Give her time - she has a thankless job at present
  • Options
    Mrs May's main attribute is that she's neither Andrea Leadsom nor Jeremy Corbyn.

So the moment Labour ditch Corbyn that's when Mrs May might be vaguely electable, someone like Dan Jarvis, Clive Lewis, or Richard Burgon, so cannot see May going before Jez.

I think Farron and Sturgeon are secure no matter what, so by the process of elimination it has to be Nuttal, but not at those odds.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    HYUFD said:

Corbyn is most likely to go after the next election, though that is no certainty, the others should survive for another election

looks like a long wait for a payout even if you back the winner (loser).

for a 7-day payout I've been looking at the Strictly betting and not sure why Danny Mac is the best-priced 10/11 fav. he scored higher with the judges than louise in the semi but ended up in the dance off which means louise must have pulled in more public votes. and the final is all about the public vote with judges scores counting for nothing.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Given the total lack of preparation in advance of the EU vote, I think she has a pass until her deadline of 31st March.

Ironically, it will probably help her politically if there's a few more spurious legal challenges and judicial reviews, as they'll buy her some more time before the government are seen as holding up Brexit in the eyes of those who voted for it.
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

A50 lost in the post?
    M64 found instead? :lol:

http://www.pathetic.org.uk/unbuilt/m64/
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

May is well received in the country (OK, there's some evidence from the polls that the honeymoon is ending in Scotland, but the Tories were unlikely to make major electoral advances there anyway; in England, where the vast bulk of the voters are, she's still doing rather well.) If she manages not to make a total hash of Brexit then she ought to win the next election, whenever it comes, and more likely than not by a landslide.

Cameron was up against Corbyn too, and he didn't perform as strongly. May inspires confidence in an awful lot of voters - especially the old, who grant her enormous leads - which must be counted as an achievement in itself. Would George Osborne have performed as well, for example? Discuss.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

for a 7-day payout I've been looking at the Strictly betting and not sure why Danny Mac is the best-priced 10/11 fav. he scored higher with the judges than louise in the semi but ended up in the dance off which means louise must have pulled in more public votes. and the final is all about the public vote with judges scores counting for nothing.
    It depends on the dance on the night, Danny M has got most public votes before
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

A50 lost in the post?

They should build it and dub it the 'Brexit Bypass'.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited December 2016
    Farron's stance on having a second referendum is wholly dependent on A50 being revocable. This is unknown but may be tested in the ECJ. If A50 is non-revocable Farron's policy is void.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,280
    edited December 2016
    Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Given the total lack of preparation in advance of the EU vote, I think she has a pass until her deadline of 31st March.

Ironically, it will probably help her politically if there's a few more spurious legal challenges and judicial reviews, as they'll buy her some more time before the government are seen as holding up Brexit in the eyes of those who voted for it.
    For as much as I liked David Cameron it was wrong for him not to have readied a plan in the event of a leave vote. The result is that the need for delay is essential and TM may not be too concerned if legal challenges slow the process as it would give her more time and at the same time increase considerably the anger against the lawyers and others trying to prevent the democratic process
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    I agree that May and Nuttall are the value bets, but again the odds are not worth going for.
    Corbyn will just stay where he is , it's useless/hopeless.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I tipped Louise when the show started at 13/2.

She's never been in the bottom two, unlike the other two, and the final is down purely to the public vote.

One of them will be eliminated in the first half of the final, then it'll be down to the final two.

I think laying Ore is the best option, who has regularly been in the dance off.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

May is well received in the country (OK, there's some evidence from the polls that the honeymoon is ending in Scotland, but the Tories were unlikely to make major electoral advances there anyway; in England, where the vast bulk of the voters are, she's still doing rather well.) If she manages not to make a total hash of Brexit then she ought to win the next election, whenever it comes, and more likely than not by a landslide.

Cameron was up against Corbyn too, and he didn't perform as strongly. May inspires confidence in an awful lot of voters - especially the old, who grant her enormous leads - which must be counted as an achievement in itself. Would George Osborne have performed as well, for example? Discuss.
    George Osborne might come back as Foreign Secretary if and when May ditches Boris, he could be Mandelson to her Brown but I can't see him becoming leader, Andrea Leadsom has more chance of succeeding May in my view, as the next Tory leadership contest is likely to come if and when they lose an election and return to opposition. May is riding high now because she is committed to Brexit but inevitably whatever Brexit it is will disappoint some, if harder Brexit it will disappoint Tory Remainers and boost the LDs, if softer Brexit it will disappoint Tory Leavers and boost UKIP
  • Options
    By the way, the Lords EU committee's reports are required reading for anyone wanting to judge the ultimate fate of Article 50 in Parliament. More questions raised than anyone has answers for.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Cameron regularly comprehensively demolished Corbyn at PMQs. May's not done as well.

In addition, Cameron had been party leader for ten years, and had suffered continual attacks from a competent Labour spin machine for all those years. May's new to the job and has got no competent opposition.

Osborne would also have been subject to the same problem as Cameron: he's been the focus of many attacks that May has more or less (her infamous speech aside) been free from.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

i agree about the dance but I didn't know they published any public vote results during the series.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Which is why she needs to syndicate her risk and involve others not slap down anyone who says anything slightly different.

To my mind her best moment was how she approached the campaign to be leader. But since then, it's all felt a bit "meh" and some worrying signs have emerged.

Having got into power by making it clear that she got the country's message, she needed to be open and generous and reassuring - to us, all of us - and to the EU and other countries. And to start sketching out a view of what Britain's role in Europe and the world can be. Something beyond soundbites and banalities.

Instead of which she's slapped down anyone who's dared say anything, has refused to say anything very much at all, giving the impression that she has nothing to say, has tried to cut out Parliament rather than involve it, and has got herself tangled in a legal case.

Brexit will - at best - be difficult and messy. To get through it, we need leadership. That involves telling people some hard truths. And it involves being the sort of person that people will trust even when she is saying something they don't want to hear.

Leadership is not about working very hard at her desk until all hours. Nor is it about micro-managing or trying to do everything herself. For the moment, I don't see her as a leader. And the delay and the emptiness where the debate about how Brexit can work practically is leading to a vacuum.

Keeping your negotiating cards to your chest is one thing. But just as the failure to have a proper debate about what the EU was really about poisoned Britain's relationship with the EU from the start so its failure to have a proper debate now about what is realistic and practical, about the costs and benefits, risks poisoning the post-Brexit future.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

For as much as I liked David Cameron it was wrong for him not to have readied a plan in the event of a leave vote. The result is that the need for delay is essential and TM may not be too concerned if legal challenges slow the process as it would give her more time and at the same time increase considerably the anger against the lawyers and others trying to prevent the democratic process
    Given the Government, which is pro-leave, appears to be fighting like rats in a sack over what leave means, what plan (or options) do you suggest that Cameron should have prepared?

May could have spent her time while avoiding committing during the referendum to come up with the outline of one I suppose. That she appears to be a reed in the wind is not something that you seem keen to dwell on.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

i agree about the dance but I didn't know they published any public vote results during the series.
    He has certainly been the first one announced as saved before and last night was the first time he has been in the dance-off but all 3 are capable of giving a very good performance, it depends what they come out with
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    PeterC said:

Farron's stance on having a second referendum is wholly dependent on A50 being revocable. This is unknown but may be tested in the ECJ. If A50 is non-revocable Farron's policy is void.

I'm sure it will be tested sooner rather than later - it's probably more significant than the Gina Miller case. If it turns out not to be revocable, I can't see the LD membership backing a re-entry without rebate, pound or outside Schengen, so campaigning would be around single market membership and individually opting into as many valuable elements such as research, Erasmus, intelligence co-operation etc.

And the public are in no doubt where the LDs stand - so campaigning will continue even if the 2nd referendum has to fall.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

They don't publish any public vote, when they announce who has been saved, it is stated it is announced in no particular order.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Not so sure that Mrs May does inspire confidence: surely the enormous leads come from people (yes, old people) who've seen Mr Corbyn's world in action and think "Anything rather than that".
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

A50 lost in the post?

They should build it and dub it the 'Brexit Bypass'.
    They did build it as the A50. When my parents bought the house I was born in back in '73, they were warned that it might be built through the fields behind. Twenty-five-odd years later it finally opened. But because motorways cost money, it was built as a DBFO dual carriageway.

It's infinitely better than those awful 100-yard sections of dual carriageway that used to exist near Sudbury, which were the cause of no end of accidents.
  • Options
    Surprising how our usual crime correspondents are not obsessing about this crime:

http://news.sky.com/story/forest-hill-station-stabbing-knifeman-shouted-i-want-to-kill-a-muslim-10693616

They must all be asleep.
  • Options
    The power of PB.

Yesterday I tipped Labour to poll under 20% at the next GE at 10/1, now down to 6/1
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Not so sure that Mrs May does inspire confidence: surely the enormous leads come from people (yes, old people) who've seen Mr Corbyn's world in action and think "Anything rather than that".
    May has enormous leads because she appears serious and because Labour is missing in action.

In the land of the blind etc.......

But her personnel choices have not been great and there is a sense of drift.

And for someone who wants to keep her negotiating cards close to her chest she's given away the one card the UK had i.e. the timing of the Article 50 notification. Far better, IMO, to have done the hard work thinking and talking to stakeholders about the various options: EFTA, Single Market, Customs Union, whatever and only when we were really ready give the notification, even if that meant waiting longer. Getting this right matters rather more than getting it done quickly, especially for those whom May professes to care about.

As it is in little over 3 months time the notification will be given, we haven't a clue what our position is, we don't even know whether legally we can do it, we have titans like Bojo and David Davis making arses of themselves around Europe and our own May and Rudd adopting a tone which will make fruitful negotiations harder.

I would like to think that there is some hard thinking and hard work going on somewhere in Whitehall. Who knows? When the PM's advisors are more worried about trousers, for God's sake, there's not much ground for optimism.

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

By the way, the Lords EU committee's reports are required reading for anyone wanting to judge the ultimate fate of Article 50 in Parliament. More questions raised than anyone has answers for.

Does it have more questions than this?
    https://www.amazon.com/Jumbo-Quiz-Book-Value-Publishing/dp/0517205025
    I bet it doesn't.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

PeterC said:

I'm sure it will be tested sooner rather than later - it's probably more significant than the Gina Miller case. If it turns out not to be revocable, I can't see the LD membership backing a re-entry without rebate, pound or outside Schengen, so campaigning would be around single market membership and individually opting into as many valuable elements such as research, Erasmus, intelligence co-operation etc.

And the public are in no doubt where the LDs stand - so campaigning will continue even if the 2nd referendum has to fall.
    It is vital for MAy to get A50 on the table by 2018 (yes, she intends 2017 but who knows what might delay it?). A GE in 2020 with the UK still in the EU would be a gift to the LibDems who, Lisbon Treaty permitting, would hoover up the diehard Remainers on a platform of abandoning Brexit.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    The only reason the underwhelming Mr Farron is so safe is the lack of potential challengers.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

May has enormous leads because she appears serious and because Labour is missing in action.

And for someone who wants to keep her negotiating cards close to her chest she's given away the one card the UK had i.e. the timing of the Article 50 notification. Far better, IMO, to have done the hard work thinking and talking to stakeholders about the various options: EFTA, Single Market, Customs Union, whatever and only when we were really ready give the notification, even if that meant waiting longer. Getting this right matters rather more than getting it done quickly, especially for those whom May professes to care about.

As it is in little over 3 months time the notification will be given, we haven't a clue what our position is, we don't even know whether legally we can do it, we have titans like Bojo and David Davis making arses of themselves around Europe and our own May and Rudd adopting a tone which will make fruitful negotiations harder.

I would like to think that there is some hard thinking and hard work going on somewhere in Whitehall. Who knows? When the PM's advisors are more worried about trousers, for God's sake, there's not much ground for optimism.

I'd like to think that too. I get the impression, however, that the effort is actually going into gumming up the works. Hope that's wrong.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Has one of the Time Commanders' advisers changed sex or gender?
  • Options

An unelected body intent on acting against the democratic will of the people and the HOC which will provide a big majority for serving A50 will absolutely see the end of HOL as we know it today, and it can't come soon enough
  • Options
    PeterC said:

tpfkar said:

PeterC said:

It is vital for MAy to get A50 on the table by 2018 (yes, she intends 2017 but who knows what might delay it?). A GE in 2020 with the UK still in the EU would be a gift to the LibDems who, Lisbon Treaty permitting, would hoover up the diehard Remainers on a platform of abandoning Brexit.
    On the other hand you couldn't engineer a better scenario for the destruction of Labour. They would get torn between the Lib Dems and UKIP, while the Tories could afford to take the hit of losing their 2015 gains from the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    dr_spyn said:

What gave it away?
  • Options
    Essexit said:

The only reason the underwhelming Mr Farron is so safe is the lack of potential challengers.

I'm far from sure he's underwhelming. You are probably not his audience, but he's exactly what the Lib Dems require at the moment.

The recent win in Richmond Park was not an accident.
  • Options

The power of PB.

Yesterday I tipped Labour to poll under 20% at the next GE at 10/1, now down to 6/1

indeed. I like the look of the 30-35% (7/2), and labour vote to fall (4/7) combo. they'd have to poll over 35% for both to lose. and there's a small window where they could both win.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

I'd like to think that too. I get the impression, however, that the effort is actually going into gumming up the works. Hope that's wrong.
    Hammond has his feet on the ground and obviously understands the consequences of crashing out of the EU in 2019, straight into a WTO regime. I expect that he will have more influence than any of the hardline Brexiteers. A transitional deal where we remain the in EEA is vital imo.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

I would think Farron is the value bet here since as soon as the Lib Dems are demonstrably back in the game it would make sense to bring back Clegg as a viable alternative PM (in contrast to Corbyn).
  • Options
    saddened said:

dr_spyn said:

What gave it away?
    Deeper voice, yet red dress.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Essexit said:

The LDs have won a by-election and seen their voteshare rise in 2 recent others and they are also winning council by-elections and slightly up in the polls, there is no reason at all why he should be challenged. Given the dreadful legacy Clegg left him in terms of the party's electoral situation, with the 2015 general election the Liberals' worst performance since 1970 (despite the fact I prefer Clegg's policies to Farron's that is a fact) he has done the best he could in rallying the party and appealing to disgruntled Remain voters
  • Options
    Scipio losing Zama to an elephant?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Which is why she needs to syndicate her risk and involve others not slap down anyone who says anything slightly different.

To my mind her best moment was how she approached the campaign to be leader. But since then, it's all felt a bit "meh" and some worrying signs have emerged.

Having got into power by making it clear that she got the country's message, she needed to be open and generous and reassuring - to us, all of us - and to the EU and other countries. And to start sketching out a view of what Britain's role in Europe and the world can be. Something beyond soundbites and banalities.

Instead of which she's slapped down anyone who's dared say anything, has refused to say anything very much at all, giving the impression that she has nothing to say, has tried to cut out Parliament rather than involve it, and has got herself tangled in a legal case.

Brexit will - at best - be difficult and messy. To get through it, we need leadership. That involves telling people some hard truths. And it involves being the sort of person that people will trust even when she is saying something they don't want to hear.

Leadership is not about working very hard at her desk until all hours. Nor is it about micro-managing or trying to do everything herself. For the moment, I don't see her as a leader. And the delay and the emptiness where the debate about how Brexit can work practically is leading to a vacuum.

Keeping your negotiating cards to your chest is one thing. But just as the failure to have a proper debate about what the EU was really about poisoned Britain's relationship with the EU from the start so its failure to have a proper debate now about what is realistic and practical, about the costs and benefits, risks poisoning the post-Brexit future.
    I think it was Nick Robinson who said, on R4's profile, that much as he had access to and was invited to interview May, he used to refuse to do so.

He said that after an hour and a half's interview, he walked out knowing nothing more about her, or her policies, or her intent than he did when he walked in.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

I think it was Nick Robinson who said, on R4's profile, that much as he had access to and was invited to interview May, he used to refuse to do so.

He said that after an hour and a half's interview, he walked out knowing nothing more about her, or her policies, or her intent than he did when he walked in.
    Does that say more about May or about Robinson?
  • Options
    matt said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Given the Government, which is pro-leave, appears to be fighting like rats in a sack over what leave means, what plan (or options) do you suggest that Cameron should have prepared?

May could have spent her time while avoiding committing during the referendum to come up with the outline of one I suppose. That she appears to be a reed in the wind is not something that you seem keen to dwell on.
    David Cameron was PM. It was his responsibility not the Home Secretary's who no doubt was as surprised as most when leave won. Since then she has been dealing with an impossibly complex situation and at the same time adapting to the role of PM which she hadn't expected.

There is no one else near her at present and as I want our Country to succeed through Brexit she is our best hope and it will define her in years to come. It is far too soon to make a judgement
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Having got into power by making it clear that she got the country's message, she needed to be open and generous and reassuring - to us, all of us - and to the EU and other countries. And to start sketching out a view of what Britain's role in Europe and the world can be. Something beyond soundbites and

May is the ideal candidate to do 'grey' Brexit, ie she was never the enthusiastic Remainer Cameron and Osborne were but nor was she the passionate Leaver Boris, Gove and Leadsom were. In a way she is the ideal PM for a UK which voted Leave by just 52% to 48%
  • Options

matt said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

David Cameron was PM. It was his responsibility not the Home Secretary's who no doubt was as surprised as most when leave won. Since then she has been dealing with an impossibly complex situation and at the same time adapting to the role of PM which she hadn't expected.

There is no one else near her at present and as I want our Country to succeed through Brexit she is our best hope and it will define her in years to come. It is far too soon to make a judgement
    The best argument for pre-referendum planning for Leave is that it would have exposed beyond doubt that it wasn't a viable option.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    dr_spyn said:

saddened said:

dr_spyn said:

What gave it away?
    Anecdote alert:

Many years ago I worked for a tech company that had three transsexuals in it, one of whom became a good friend of ours. Two were male to female, one female to male.

An engineer told an American client about this. The client went up to another engineer who had long, black hair (a bit Gothish) and asked him loudly: "Are you the female to male?"

He wasn't.

There was a certain amount of trouble over the incident.
  • Options

matt said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

The best argument for pre-referendum planning for Leave is that it would have exposed beyond doubt that it wasn't a viable option.
    The Remain side went overboard on that front.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Essexit said:

I'm far from sure he's underwhelming. You are probably not his audience, but he's exactly what the Lib Dems require at the moment.

Whether or not he's underwhelming (and his rhetoric honestly hasn't blown me away, but you're not wrong that I'm not his target audience), if Vince Cable were still in Parliament Farron would have an obvious challenger, or more likely wouldn't be leader.

Richmond is Farron's target audience, but the UK is not Richmond.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Someon Perhaps she will surprise us all. Perhaps.

W

Does that say more about May or about Robinson?
    What have we discovered about what May wants since October?

Other than B***** means B*****?

QED
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    edited December 2016
    Jesus H...seeing our political leaders listed above. Have you ever seen such a rabble? Only Krankie lite Sturgeon comes out with anything.

From happy clappy, bible thumping Farron, with his weird face and odd voice; to Dr Bullshitter Nuttall and his shiny bald head, to beardy, vain old twat and principled bellend Corbyn to May who can get her bloomers in a twist over a pair of trousers. May deserves special mention because she is just strange in a strange way.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Essexit said:

I don't think so.

Leaders go two ways, either they resign due to political failure or they are defenestrated in anticipation of further failure.

Farron is safe as he is largely in tune with his MPs and seen by members and activists as one of them. The fact that he is disliked by kippers or ignored by the wider public is irrelevant as far as this bet goes.

There is the third exit, by ill health, and that may well be telling on the one with the most gruelling job, and with significant chronic disease.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Whether or not he's underwhelming (and his rhetoric honestly hasn't blown me away, but you're not wrong that I'm not his target audience), if Vince Cable were still in Parliament Farron would have an obvious challenger, or more likely wouldn't be leader.

Well given Farron represents a seat in the Lake District and Cable represented Twickenham in Richmond Upon Thames and Farron held his seat at the last election and Cable lost his I do not see much chance of an imminent Cable return
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Corby

Having got into power by making it clear that she got the country's message, she needed to be open and generous and reassuring - to us, all of us - and to the EU and other countries. And to start sketching out a view of what Britain's role in Europe and the world can be. Something beyond soundbites and

May is the ideal candidate to do 'grey' Brexit, ie she was never the enthusiastic Remainer Cameron and Osborne were but nor was she the passionate Leaver Boris, Gove and Leadsom were. In a way she is the ideal PM for a UK which voted Leave by just 52% to 48%
    I think the whole "we need someone boring, resolute, unflashy" idea has now come and gone. Not to say I want Boris, but now, when there is uncertainty, and apprehension, we need someone who has a vision and who has the confidence to communicate that vision to her ministers and to the country.

Not 100% sure that is Tezza. We shall see.
  • Options

matt said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

What would you like Dave's govt to have prepared wrt Brexit? You can summarise using bullet points if you prefer.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

HYUFD said:

I tipped Louise when the show started at 13/2.

You've got to give up your fantasy that George Osborne is coming back...
  • Options
    RobD said:

The Remain side went overboard on that front.
    They went overboard saying it would be cataclysmic but they downplayed the practical issues. Their 'grid' would have been better if they'd spent the majority of the campaign talking about Northern Ireland and Scotland.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Brexit will - at best - be difficult and messy. To get through it, we need leadership. That involves telling people some hard truths.

It's always better to show than to tell. May seems to be doing a good job to me of hanging the contradictions out to dry.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

Essexit said:

I don't think so.

Leaders go two ways, either they resign due to political failure or they are defenestrated in anticipation of further failure.

Farron is safe as he is largely in tune with his MPs and seen by members and activists as one of them. The fact that he is disliked by kippers or ignored by the wider public is irrelevant as far as this bet goes.

There is the third exit, by ill health, and that may well be telling on the one with the most gruelling job, and with significant chronic disease.
    Fox.....another reason why oh why May would want this job....she shows no leadership, she is thin skinned and chippy, she hasn't got vision, she's billy no mates and is struggling with a charisma bypass, she suffers from chronic health issues....

I can't think of any reason why she would want to be PM...

On the health front too...look at Trump. I wonder what kind of pharmaceutical regime keeps that obese, seemingly unhealthy old twat going. It must be a shed load of drugs mind...
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Essexit said:

The Lib Dems are not looking to form the next government. They are looking to recover their position (as they see it) of being an influential voice in local and national politics.
  • Options
    saddened said:

dr_spyn said:

What gave it away?
    The Adams Apple is best evidence.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

saddened said:

dr_spyn said:

What gave it away?
    Anecdote alert:

Many years ago I worked for a tech company that had three transsexuals in it, one of whom became a good friend of ours. Two were male to female, one female to male.

An engineer told an American client about this. The client went up to another engineer who had long, black hair (a bit Gothish) and asked him loudly: "Are you the female to male?"

He wasn't.

There was a certain amount of trouble over the incident.
    Looked up the biography, Lynette Nusbacher 2007 later, still lectures at Sandhurst.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Jesus H...seeing our political leaders listed above. Have you ever seen such a rabble? Only Krankie lite Sturgeon comes out with anything.

From happy clappy, bible thumping Farron, with his weird face and odd voice; to Dr Bullshitter Nuttall and his shiny bald head, to beardy, vain old twat and principled bellend Corbyn to May who can get her bloomers in a twist over a pair of trousers. May deserves special mention because she is just strange in a strange way.

Blimey!
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Corby

Having got into power by making it clear that she got the country's message, she needed to be open and generous and reassuring - to us, all of us - andcan work practically is leading to a vacuum.

May is the ideal candidate to do 'grey' Brexit, ie she was never the enthusiastic Remainer Cameron and Osborne were but nor was she theLeave by just 52% to 48%
    I think the whole "we need someone to communicate that vision to her ministers and to the country.

What is this vision? The country does not know what it wants either, it wants single market access but control of free movement and immigration too and that is not possible. At least May has a chance of getting something close to that vision if not exactly so, Boris is the other contendor who would back it but EU leaders hate him so much for his role in the Leave campaign he would have no chance of delivering it
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

saddened said:

dr_spyn said:

What gave it away?
    To be fair, i was being unkind. I've seen many, many of his pre-gender reassignment documentaries.

She is, apparently, very well respected at Sandhurst.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Corby

Having got into power by making it clear that she got the country's message, she needed to be open and generous and reassuring - to us, all of us - andcan work practically is leading to a vacuum.

May is the ideal candidate to do 'grey' Brexit, ie she was never the enthusiastic Remainer Cameron and Osborne were but nor was she theLeave by just 52% to 48%
    I think the whole "we need someone to communicate that vision to her ministers and to the country.

What is this vision? The country does not know what it wants either, it wants single market access but control of free movement and immigration too and that is not possible. At least May has a chance of getting something close to that vision if not exactly so, Boris is the other contendor who would back it but EU leaders hate him so much for his role in the Leave campaign he would have no chance of delivering it
    As every Brexiter tells us, it is up to the government to determine our post-EU future. So let the government determine it. It will irritate as many people to see that we are controlling free movement as it would to see that we are not controlling free movement.

If she doesn't want a referendum about every clause and article, she had better start leading.
  • Options

This is where I feel that Mr Cameron really fell down.

He had the trust of a lot of the country. He should have set in motion genuine Leave contingency planning. Had that genuine contingency planning revealed stark downsides to Leaving, at that stage he still had the credibility to have explained them to the country.

But to swing from being so positive in his speeches that the UK could be successful outside the EU, to being so full of doom during the campaign, with nothing in between except a highly suspect 'good deal' that was likely to fall apart at the first challenge in the ECJ, he forfeited both the trust and the credibility of a genuine Leave contingency plan that might have looked less than optimal.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

I think the whole "we need someone boring, resolute, unflashy" idea has now come and gone. Not to say I want Boris, but now, when there is uncertainty, and apprehension, we need someone who has a vision and who has the confidence to communicate that vision to her ministers and to the country.

You can be resolute and unflashy but still have some idea of where you want to go and the ability to communicate that confidently to the country and her party. Effective communication does not need singing and dancing.

She couldn't even confidently communicate her grammar schools policy to Parliament, for heaven's sake.

I think she is scared - of the voters, of UKIP, of her MPs. Hiding in the Home Office is one thing. But a PM can't hide.

Of course there are no easy options: but even if she'd said : "Look we've voted to leave the EU and we will. But to disengage from the EU after 43 years is going to take time and is best done in stages so as to protect, as far as possible, you - the ones who are just managing - and so we are going to do this patiently, soberly, in stages and in co-operation with our allies so that we achieve what the country has voted for and we do so in a way which provides the best opportunity for us all to maintain a stable and growing economy and to develop the best relationship we can with the EU once we leave because we are and will remain a part of Europe, even if we will not be a part of the EU. And this means that we are not going to get all that we want on Day 1. But we will make a start And that will likely mean some transitional arrangement. And this is why this matters to you and is a more sensible route than that advocated by those saying that it can all be done in an instant."

Well that would have been better than what we've got now, no?

And it might also have the advantage of giving the EU time to adapt and allow passions to cool and perhaps shown the rest of the EU that, whatever they might think about the decision itself, we are at least approaching its implementation in a thoughtful manner.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The country desperately needs a leader: someone with vision who can get many people to slightly bend their current leave or remain preferences towards that vision. Someone who can sell their vision.

Is May that person?
  • Options
    saddened said:

saddened said:

dr_spyn said:

What gave it away?
    To be fair, i was being unkind. I've seen many, many of his pre-gender reassignment documentaries.

She is, apparently, very well respected at Sandhurst.
    I shall watch it later, watching "Muslims like us" at present. Interesting bunch.
  • Options
    Scipio dead. Rome losing Zama?
  • Options
    Hannibal down. Rome wins. @thescreamingeagles will be relieved.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

I think the 'is there no beginning to your talents' quote was Clive Anderson interviewing Jeffrey Archer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0343LpIvxM
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The country desperately needs a leader: someone with vision who can get many people to slightly bend their current leave or remain preferences towards that vision. Someone who can sell their vision.

Is May that person?
    We need a leader who is able to speak some hard truths to both Leavers and Remainers.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

QED

To be fair she's already told us very clearly what she thinks. It's just that some people, primarily credulous Leavers, have forgotten.

http://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2016/04/theresa-mays-speech-on-brexit-full-text.html
  • Options
    edited December 2016

TOPPING said:

QED

To be fair she's already told us very clearly what she thinks. It's just that some people, primarily credulous Leavers, have forgotten.

http://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2016/04/theresa-mays-speech-on-brexit-full-text.html
    The world has changed a bit since then, don't you think?
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

QED

The world's changed a bit since then, don't you think?
    You mean the 'Pax Americana' comfort blanket looks less secure than it did back in June?

"If the people of Scotland are forced to choose between the United Kingdom and the European Union we do not know what the result would be. But only a little more than eighteen months after the referendum that kept the United Kingdom together, I do not want to see the country I love at risk of dismemberment once more."

Do we now know the answer to this question?

The whole speech merits close analysis given that it's the best thing we have to go on regarding May's real views on some of the key issues.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

You can be resolute and unflashy but still have some idea of where you want to go and the ability to communicate that confidently to the country and her party. Effective communication does not need singing and dancing.

She couldn't even confidently communicate her grammar schools policy to Parliament, for heaven's sake.

I think she is scared - of the voters, of UKIP, of her MPs. Hiding in the Home Office is one thing. But a PM can't hide.

Of course there are no easy options: but even if she'd said : "Look we've voted to leave the EU and we will. But to disengage from the EU after 43 years is going to take time and is best done in stages so as to protect, as far as possible, you - the ones who are just managing - and so we are going to do this patiently, soberly, in stages and in co-operation with our allies so that we achieve what the country has voted for and we do so in a way which provides the best opportunity for us all to maintain a stable and growing economy and to develop the best relationship we can with the EU once we leave because we are and will remain a part of Europe, even if we will not be a part of the EU. And this means that we are not going to get all that we want on Day 1. But we will make a start And that will likely mean some transitional arrangement. And this is why this matters to you and is a more sensible route than that advocated by those saying that it can all be done in an instant."

Well that would have been better than what we've got now, no?

And it might also have the advantage of giving the EU time to adapt and allow passions to cool and perhaps shown the rest of the EU that, whatever they might think about the decision itself, we are at least approaching its implementation in a thoughtful manner.
    Yes.

The question is, is the failing hers, or is it the structure she finds herself within?
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    edited December 2016
    The criticisms of May on here are I feel are a bit unfair.
    My take: Theresa May essentially has an impossible job, all she is doing is keeping her head above water, and she is doing admirably well at that. The snipers are lurking in every concievable direction and behind every corner. As soon as she sets out a position of any substance, it will be torn to shreds. So she says very little, talks in generalities, affirms certain positions, lets others do the talking, keeps control of the ship while buying time to do the spadework necessary behind the scenes to enable the country to enter in to this enormous renegotiation - the work that her predecessors notably neglected to even contemplate, such was their arrogance and willingness to screw the whole country if they couldn't get their way.
    As someone who has never voted conservative on principle I have to say that at the moment she is the only person capable of holding the country together and taking Brexit to a sensible conclusion.
    The idea that Jeremy Corbyn would do a better job is so laughable it is almost insane. He would be an absolute catastrophe. The people who I know in the labour party, the sensible people, agree privately.
    And the idea that Andrea Leadsom, with her 'get on with article 50 with no preperation' stance could do any better is equally ridiculous.

My increasing feeling is that Theresa May needs our support because she is the last and only sensible option
This discussion has been closed.