Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris gets his own back on Theresa

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited December 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris gets his own back on Theresa

Revenge is a Ferrero Rocher best served cold. Boris Johnson mocks Theresa May's leather 'lederhosen'. Gags in full: https://t.co/Te1nAx3Avw

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 897
    edited December 2016
    First!! Boris (and I am not fan) does brighten up things doesn't he.
  • Options
    I heard that Boris was fuming at Phil Hammond's gag at Boris at the start of the Autumn statement.

I'm assuming this is payback for this and Mrs May slapping him down for his comments over Saudi Arabia
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    "Quite where this is all going will be one of the fun stories of 2017."

Mrs May in the lounge with the candlestick?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029
    At least he's clear on who wears the trousers in this government.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    That's more payback for her Spectator Awards speech, surely?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

I heard that Boris was fuming at Phil Hammond's gag at Boris at the start of the Autumn statement.

I'm assuming this is payback for this and Mrs May slapping him down for his comments over Saudi Arabia

Boris is right over Saudi. Helping the Saudis bomb the starving Yemenis will be a national shame.
  • Options

Yeah, members of the Government should try to avoid making fun of each other on supposedly serious occasions.
  • Options

Boris is right over Saudi. Helping the Saudis bomb the starving Yemenis will be a national shame.
    Yup.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

And sending him to grovel in person to the Saudis.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yeah, members of the Government should try to avoid making fun of each other on supposedly serious occasions.
    #Banter
  • Options
    See if I was Boris I'd have gone for something like

'I've learnt from experience, never upset a woman who wears leather trousers, they are very good at giving out discipline and punishment'
  • Options

RobD said:

#Banter
    Only suitable for the Archbishop of Banterbury during his speeches in the Lords, surely? :D
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

RobD said:

#Banter
    Indeed.

Harmless fun.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    RobD said:

While there are very few occasions that Britons find unsuitable for humour, most countries seperate it from serious business. Gallows humour is a great defuser of tension, but is very context specific. To the EU diplomats we appear to be a bunch of clowns, and who trusts a clown when negotiating?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

"Quite where this is all going will be one of the fun stories of 2017."

Mrs May in the lounge with the candlestick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNUP-so0ndQ
  • Options
    #BorisBeingBoris
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

RobD said:

While there are very few occasions that Britons find unsuitable for humour, most countries seperate it from serious business. Gallows humour is a great defuser of tension, but is very context specific. To the EU diplomats we appear to be a bunch of clowns, and who trusts a clown when negotiating?
    Trust isn't the issue. People are far more likely to underestimate a clown.

Good evening, everybody.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

RobD said:

They are currently looking like the clowns at the moment, what with their demands for extraterritorial jurisdiction for the ECJ.
  • Options
    Oh boy. Either Boris is being reckless or he knows that, for now, he's unsackable. Probably a bit of both.

But, Theresa May will notice and she won't forget.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,635
    AnneJGP said:

RobD said:

Trust isn't the issue. People are far more likely to underestimate a clown.

Good evening, everybody.
    Unfortunately, they may be estimating Boris entirely accurately. He's good at talking. But not much else.
  • Options
    "As guests laughed at the reference, Johnson added: “They asked for no surprises in this speech, we cleared that one already.”"

A sanctioned joke, apparently ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

"As guests laughed at the reference, Johnson added: “They asked for no surprises in this speech, we cleared that one already.”"

From a sanctioned joker.
  • Options

RobD said:

Maybe making everyone think he's a clown, whilst really being on his game, is part of the negotiation strategy, so they'll drop their guard?

Ok, a stretch, but he's not an idiot and he won't want to fail in this.
  • Options
    RobD said:

"Sanction". A word like "cleave" that has two meanings, one being the exact opposite to the other.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    edited December 2016
    Who can make the better jokes?
    And who can take a joke better?
    Boris wins on both scores.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314

Yup.
    Thirded, though I can't help but feel this high-mindedness has been rather sudden to come upon you, as I don't remember you condemning Dave for kowtowing to the Saudis.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Yes, he does. And if he learns to juggle as well, he'll be a marvellous entertainer at children's parties.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

geoffw said:

Yes, he does. And if he learns to juggle as well, he'll be a marvellous entertainer at children's parties.
    At the expense of parties you mean? Like the Labour Party or the LibDem Party.
  • Options

...he's not an idiot....

As I have said in the past perhaps too often, I'm not sure that's true.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Must be frustrating for Boris being in a different league
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314
    edited December 2016

Oh boy. Either Boris is being reckless or he knows that, for now, he's unsackable. Probably a bit of both.

But, Theresa May will notice and she won't forget.

Boris isn't un-sackable (Hammond, sadly, is un-sackable at the moment.). Either way he's eminently demotable. I would suggest that May's in on this as a way to defuse some of the tension that seems to be around.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    RobD said:

RobD said:

They are currently looking like the clowns at the moment, what with their demands for extraterritorial jurisdiction for the ECJ.
    I think that just demonstrates a level of delusion as great as the "Have cake and eat it" Brexiteers, and why we are heading to Hard Brexit.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

viewcode said:

geoffw said:

At the expense of parties you mean? Like the Labour Party or the LibDem Party.
    No, I meant gatherings with small irresponsible people running around a lot, making a lot of noise, screaming, making a mess and needing adults to clean up after them. Entirely different. Er... :)
  • Options
    Many a true word said in jest.
    The jest-about-managing party perhaps.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

I think that just demonstrates a level of delusion as great as the "Have cake and eat it" Brexiteers, and why we are heading to Hard Brexit.
    That you think the two are equivalent clearly shows your own level of delusion.
  • Options
    How was it pronounced? Lederhosen or leaderhosen?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

What the EU want and what the Soft Brexiteers want are minds that will never meet.

Once A50 is triggered, the fuse of Hard Brexit is lit.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,694
    viewcode said:

...he's not an idiot....

As I have said in the past perhaps too often, I'm not sure that's true.

Johnson trades on his charm. It doesn't work for me personally. I can forgive a lot of people who make laugh but Johnson doesn't resonate with me that way. He clearly does with other people.
  • Options
    I'm sorry for you. But look on the bright side. There's always Jeremy and the whole posse of clowns around him.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

What the EU want and what the Soft Brexiteers want are minds that will never meet.

Once/if A50 is triggered and the intractability of anything other than Hard Brexit is revealed, the Soft Brexiteers will defect to the Remain camp and ensure A50 is revoked.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Once/if A50 is triggered and the intractability of anything other than Hard Brexit is revealed, the Soft Brexiteers will defect to the Remain camp and ensure A50 is revoked.
    Soft brexiteers between a rock and a hard place. Nice image.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

I don't think so. Soft Brexiteers will metamorphose into hard Brexiteers for political gain. We see that already in Andy Burnhams Red Brexit.
  • Options
    I think it's the squeezed middle.
    (What happened to that?)
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

I don't think so. Soft Brexiteers will metamorphose into hard Brexiteers for political gain. We see that already in Andy Burnhams Red Brexit.
    I see the metamorphosis in Andy Burnham, but not the political gain. :)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

fpt

And America?

The America of Chicago?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/09/us/chicago-shootings-district-11.html?_r=0

The America of Hillary's "can't we just drone this guy". The America that brought us the festival of democracy that is the modern Middle East - courtesy of Shock and Awe. The America that invades whomsoever it likes. The only country to drop the H bomb.

[pedant mode on]

A (atomic) bomb, not H (hydrogen) bomb. Hiroshima and Nagasaki were both fission devices, in which a fissile material (an element high up the periodic table with heavier atoms than normal) is forced rapidly into a critical mass, at which point it undergoes fission (its heavy atoms split releasing electrons) and a chain reaction (each electron splits more atoms, so even more electrons...) and a rapid outpouring of energy (the explosion)

A fusion bomb works the other way around: it forces light atoms to combine (fuse) rapidly. To do this you need a material with lighter atoms than normal, for example an isotope (variant) of hydrogen (hence "H bomb"). It is bloody difficult to make atoms fuse, so to set a fusion bomb off you have to wrap it in a fission bomb and set that off first

[/pedant mode off]
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    viewcode said:

its heavy atoms split releasing electrons) and a chain reaction (each electron splits more atoms, so even more electrons...)

Do you mean Neutrons?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

viewcode said:

its heavy atoms split releasing electrons) and a chain reaction (each electron splits more atoms, so even more electrons...)

Do you mean Neutrons?
    Oh bollocks, you're right. I fail fission... :(

Quick, think of a diversion...
    ..."Love Actually"'s on ITV2!

(Phew, I think I got away with it...)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

viewcode said:

Do you mean Neutrons?
    Behind one door is an electron...
  • Options
    I think some here are being a bit complacent about Trump. Trump has been missing multiple national security briefings on national security that Presidents Elects traditionally receive while still finding time for NBC execs and Indian businessmen.

After a bit of flack he turned up on FOX and said 'I don’t have to be told – you know, I’m, like, a smart person. I don’t have to be told the same thing in the same words every single day for the next eight years. Could be eight years – but eight years. I don’t need that. But I do say, “If something should change, let us know.”

'But if they’re going to come in and tell me the exact same thing that they tell me — you know, it doesn’t change, necessarily. Now, there will be times where it might change. I mean, there will be some very fluid situations. I’ll be there not every day, but more than that. But I don’t need to be told, Chris, the same thing every day, every morning — same words. “Sir, nothing has changed. Let’s go over it again.” I don’t need that.'

Meanwhile on Market news on LBC the other night they were joking about which overnight tweets were going to send which US corporations shares into a nosedive.

This man has the attention span of a five year old and with the same level of entitlement. This mans hand is on the button. The danger of stumbling at a critical point is very real.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

We now have Soft Brexit, Flaccid Brexit, Hard Brexit, Extreme Brexit, Dirty Brexit, Clean Brexit, Car Crash Brexit, Stop Brexit, Slow Brexit, Fast Brexit, Grey Brexit, and Red Brexit (any i've missed?).

57 different varieties:
    Beanz Meanz Heinz Brexit Meanz Brexit.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    edited December 2016

RobD said:

RobD said:

LOL. Not a chance. As in all things there is a gradation. Soft Brexit may be better than hard Brexit but both are a million times better than staying in. I am afraid you really are heading for a very hard fall when you realise there is no returning to your beloved EU.
  • Options

I think some here are being a bit complacent about Trump. Trump has been missing multiple national security briefings on national security that Presidents Elects traditionally receive while still finding time for NBC execs and Indian businessmen.

After a bit of flack he turned up on FOX and said 'I don’t have to be told – you know, I’m, like, a smart person. I don’t have to be told the same thing in the same words every single day for the next eight years. Could be eight years – but eight years. I don’t need that. But I do say, “If something should change, let us know.”

'But if they’re going to come in and tell me the exact same thing that they tell me — you know, it doesn’t change, necessarily. Now, there will be times where it might change. I mean, there will be some very fluid situations. I’ll be there not every day, but more than that. But I don’t need to be told, Chris, the same thing every day, every morning — same words. “Sir, nothing has changed. Let’s go over it again.” I don’t need that.'

Meanwhile on Market news on LBC the other night they were joking about which overnight tweets were going to send which US corporations shares into a nosedive.

This man has the attention span of a five year old and with the same level of entitlement. This mans hand is on the button. The danger of stumbling at a critical point is very real.

What's interesting is that a lot of people said after the election that he would become more 'presidential' after he won, that it was just a campaign style etc (I may have even said this myself!) - just like after he won the primaries. The whole unifier narrative with him and Obama and the transition has quickly vanished.

He's completely reverted to type. The President-Elect bitching about SNL impressions of himself.

I think he will end up disappointing his alt-right supporters, establishment republicans who backed him, and the rust-belt ex democrats, simply because he is going to overtly be focused on his own interests above and beyond any ideology (be it conservatism or alt-rightism), the party, or the voters.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

We now have Soft Brexit, Flaccid Brexit, Hard Brexit, Extreme Brexit, Dirty Brexit, Clean Brexit, Car Crash Brexit, Stop Brexit, Slow Brexit, Fast Brexit, Grey Brexit, and Red Brexit (any i've missed?).

57 different varieties:
    Red Brexit is my own neologism. It is the old fashioned suspicion of the EU as a capitalistic club, a cabal against the workers. It also contrasts nicely with May's red, white and blue Brexit. It is Brexit with a socialist face, a Brexit for Labour working class voters. It could become very popular indeed.
  • Options
    Interesting account of Rex Tillerson doing jury duty:

http://rodenfordenton.com/2016/12/that-time-i-spent-a-week-with-rex-tillerson/
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

No, it shows the utter delusion of some of the more out-with-the-fairies Leavers that they are incapable of understanding the distinction between 'the EU', and a completely obscure MEP who made a completely bonkers suggestion which not a single sentient being on the continent takes seriously.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,663

RobD said:

RobD said:

You're fooling yourself. For one, the intractability will not be incontestable to the point normal people notice until well into the process. For two even then most will consider the die is regrettably cast. For three, even if it were possible to pull out then, it would rely on others agreeing who at that point had failed to agree on soft Brexit, so why agree to anything else, particularly as the fury it would unleash would ensure we continue to cause trouble.

Hard Brexit is likely but not inevitable. Brexit is, other than immense political change that is unforeseeable, inevitable.

It's the hope that will get you, and distract from winnable fights and allies on other fronts.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

No, it shows the utter delusion of some of the more out-with-the-fairies Leavers that they are incapable of understanding the distinction between 'the EU', and a completely obscure MEP who made a completely bonkers suggestion which not a single sentient being on the continent takes seriously.
    Um. The completely obscure MEP you mention is Michael Barnier who is in fact not obscure at all but is the EU's chief negotiator for the Brexit negotiations. He is probably the least obscure EU representative of all as far as the actual Brexit negotiations are concerned.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Has the December ICM been reported on PB?

Con 41%
    Lab 27%
    UKIP 14%
    LD 9%
    Greens 3%
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2016

RobD said:

RobD said:

Um. The completely obscure MEP you mention is Michael Barnier who is in fact not obscure at all but is the EU's chief negotiator for the Brexit negotiations. He is probably the least obscure EU representative of all as far as the actual Brexit negotiations are concerned.
    I think the reference was to Charles Goerens.

Edit: Ah, I see that it might have been a reference to this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/12/exclusive-european-citizens-living-uk-should-remain-jurisdiction/

Yeah, well, nice try by Monsieur Barnier. I doubt if he takes it seriously himself.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    I would be surprised if UKIP could garner 14% of the vote, While the others seem more or less right - they got 13.4% in Sleaford last week, I dont think the rest of the country would reflect that. However, I'd like to know their support in the Labour northern heartlands......
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    edited December 2016

RobD said:

RobD said:

The suggestion for keeping EU citizens living in the UK under EU law and able to appeal to the ECJ was made by Barnier.

Edit: Sorry I see you have edited your posting as well along the same lines.
  • Options

57 different varieties:
    Red Brexit is my own neologism. It is the old fashioned suspicion of the EU as a capitalistic club, a cabal against the workers. It also contrasts nicely with May's red, white and blue Brexit. It is Brexit with a socialist face, a Brexit for Labour working class voters. It could become very popular indeed.
    Yes I think that's quite possible. We've had the Leave or Remain debate, then the hard or soft debate - looking like the hard side will win at the moment. Which means that afterwards the terms of debate shift to a Red Brexit vs the Tories' natural inclination to a Singapore-On-Steroids Brexit. Not sure which side would win out there.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

The suggestion for keeping EU citizens living in the UK under EU law and able to appeal to the ECJ was made by Barnier.
    As a thought experiment, imagine that Barnier's suggestion applied to the territory of Scotland only.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

As a thought experiment, imagine that Barnier's suggestion applied to the territory of Scotland only.
    I would have thought that would be unacceptable to the UK government.
  • Options

I would be surprised if UKIP could garner 14% of the vote, While the others seem more or less right - they got 13.4% in Sleaford last week, I dont think the rest of the country would reflect that. However, I'd like to know their support in the Labour northern heartlands......

The Leigh by-election will be very instructive (and the Liverpool Walton one too, though expecting anyone to overturn a 72% majority is unreasonable). Oldham was a false dawn for UKIP after the near-miss in Heywood last Parliament: what's a year of Corbyn and the fact of Brexit done for their chances?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Edit: Ah, I see that it might have been a reference to this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/12/exclusive-european-citizens-living-uk-should-remain-jurisdiction/

Yeah, well, nice try by Monsieur Barnier. I doubt if he takes it seriously himself.
    Good to see my delusional status is beyond repute :D
  • Options

Of course, if our EU friends are happy to give UK courts equivalent jurisdiction over UK citizens in EU countries, we might have the basis of a deal.... but I think les porcs vont voler before they agree to that!
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

But desirable for the Scottish government to demand and create a fight with Westminster over.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

But desirable for the Scottish government to demand and create a fight with Westminster over.
    The Scottish government aren't sitting at the negotiating table.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

It's as if you're brainstorming ideas for Nicola Sturgeon's campaign. Good point - she'll use that to stir up dissent too.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

It's as if you're brainstorming ideas for Nicola Sturgeon's campaign. Good point - she'll use that to stir up dissent too.
    Well my point is they can't demand anything!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Oops, my screw-up! Sorry!
  • Options

RobD said:

Oops, my screw-up! Sorry!
    Not to worry, the story was barmy enough in the first place!
  • Options
    RobD said:

The Irish government will have a seat at the table and can push for a similar solution for Northern Ireland.
  • Options

RobD said:

The Irish government will have a seat at the table and can push for a similar solution for Northern Ireland.
    The position is already being pushed by the EU's chief negotiator. The negotiators sitting on the other side of the table probably have no interest in agreeing to it.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Leigh will be difficult for UKIP as it is not as poor and deprived as some may think, and is a commuter belt for the many public sector voters who I think will keep it Lab, I cant see UKIP challenging that well there, whether Labour can deliver a clear message from BREXIT remains to be seen but my money is on a labour win with possible turnout issues.....which could throw up a chance if Labour's message is not right (I'm still not sure what its BREXIT message is).

Liverpool Walton could be interesting, its next door to Doc Nuttall's stamping ground of Bootle. IIRC Bootle byelection back in the early 1990s was the nail in the SDP coffin so a bit of pressure for the purples there I think. Didnt know there was a possible byelection on in walton.

In both contests I would expect a Tory push to capture the anti-EU vote (keep deposit was the traget in years past in Liverpool's seats)

"The Leigh by-election will be very instructive (and the Liverpool Walton one too, though expecting anyone to overturn a 72% majority is unreasonable). Oldham was a false dawn for UKIP after the near-miss in Heywood last Parliament: what's a year of Corbyn and the fact of Brexit done for their chances?"

• Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    edited December 2016

What's interesting is that a lot of people said after the election that he would become more 'presidential' after he won, that it was just a campaign style etc (I may have even said this myself!) - just like after he won the primaries. The whole unifier narrative with him and Obama and the transition has quickly vanished.

He's completely reverted to type. The President-Elect bitching about SNL impressions of himself.

I think he will end up disappointing his alt-right supporters, establishment republicans who backed him, and the rust-belt ex democrats, simply because he is going to overtly be focused on his own interests above and beyond any ideology (be it conservatism or alt-rightism), the party, or the voters.
    There's a fascinating article in JAMA and reviewed on 538 about health outcomes by county in the US.

Some places just don't have anything to lose. Look at this map of deaths from substance abuse/mental disorders. (Why that would make them want to reject universal healthcare is another issue...)

Edit - the percentage change map in the pink

http://jamanetwork.com/data/Journals/JAMA/935924/joi160106f8.png
  • Options

RobD said:

Most of the Protestant-majority seats voted for Brexit.
  • Options
    That didn't last long:

The SNP will not stand candidates in elections outside of Scotland, PoliticsHome has learned – after Nicola Sturgeon said she was “tempted” by the idea.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/snp/nicola-sturgeon/news/81709/excl-nicola-sturgeon-will-not-field-snp
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,579
    edited December 2016
    RobD said:

Never rains but it pours.....

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/snp/news/81716/snp-mp-tasmina-ahmed-sheikh-facing-hmrc-court-hearing

Ms Ahmed-Sheikh is the fourth member of the SNP's 2015 intake to find herself at the centre of financial controversy.

Glasgow East MP Natalie McGarry has been charged after a police investigation into claims of financial discrepancies in a Scottish independence campaign group. She resigned the SNP whip when the allegations emerged last year.

Michelle Thomson, the MP for Edinburgh West, also stood down from the party last year after police launched an investigation into “alleged irregularities relating to property deals”. She has vowed to clear her name.

And Dundee West MP Chris Law has also been investigated by police over alleged irregularities in relation to a pro-Scottish independence campaign he set up.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855
    Morning. SNP due diligence on candidates being shown up again. One is excusable, two isn't, three shows a pattern, yet now we have four MPs in trouble.

Oh, and how on earth does a lawyer who now has an MP salary end up bankrupt - did she just forget to do her tax return for a few years?
  • Options

Of course, if our EU friends are happy to give UK courts equivalent jurisdiction over UK citizens in EU countries, we might have the basis of a deal.... but I think les porcs vont voler before they agree to that!
    EU aside, what with similar things for investor-state disputes I wonder if we'll end up adjudicating a lot of disputes in supra-national courts well before we have the other parts of the One World Government. Once people are going to the international court on a regular basis it becomes impractical for any national government to leave or disobey the court, because it would screw all their citizens and corporations that were trying to get judgements against other people.

Once that's entrenched there will be pressure to bring these out-of-control global judges under democratic control, and hey presto, OWG.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Don't be daft.

Slapping down Saudi Arabia mattered.

This was just part of Boris's persona - and I'm rather glad that the Cabinet feels able to make little jokes at each other's expense. It's rather healthy.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    viewcode said:

SeanT said:

fpt

And America?

The America of Chicago?

The America of Hillary's "can't we just drone this guy". The America that brought us the festival of democracy that is the modern Middle East - courtesy of Shock and Awe. The America that invades whomsoever it likes. The only country to drop the H bomb.

[pedant mode on]

A (atomic) bomb, not H (hydrogen) bomb. Hiroshima and Nagasaki were both fission devices, in which a fissile material (an element high up the periodic table with heavier atoms than normal) is forced rapidly into a critical mass, at which point it undergoes fission (its heavy atoms split releasing electrons) and a chain reaction (each electron splits more atoms, so even more electrons...) and a rapid outpouring of energy (the explosion)

A fusion bomb works the other way around: it forces light atoms to combine (fuse) rapidly. To do this you need a material with lighter atoms than normal, for example an isotope (variant) of hydrogen (hence "H bomb"). It is bloody difficult to make atoms fuse, so to set a fusion bomb off you have to wrap it in a fission bomb and set that off first

[/pedant mode off]
    Pedant mode on. There is no such thing as a pure fusion weapon. There are fusion-boosted fission weapons, the H bomb, and staged thermonuclear weapons. Pedant mode off.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,579
    edited December 2016
    Charles said:

This was just part of Boris's persona - and I'm rather glad that the Cabinet feels able to make little jokes at each other's expense. It's rather healthy.
    I doubt Mrs May is remotely bothered by the Lederhosen gag (her hyperactive 'protectors' may be another matter - tho with a bit of luck they'll have been told to chill).

Edit - imagine one of St Nicola's acolyte's trying it.....
  • Options
    MTimT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

fpt

And America?

The America of Chicago?

[pedant mode on]

[/pedant mode off]
    Pedant mode on. There is no such thing as a pure fusion weapon. There are fusion-boosted fission weapons, the H bomb, and staged thermonuclear weapons. Pedant mode off.
    What are the differences? (I love the story of how the UK detonated the largest atom bomb ever in a bid to hoodwink the yanks into thinking we had the H bomb...)
  • Options
    edited December 2016

MTimT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

fpt

And America?

The America of Chicago?

[pedant mode on]

[/pedant mode off]
    What are the differences? (I love the story of how the UK detonated the largest atom bomb ever in a bid to hoodwink the yanks into thinking we had the H bomb...)
    Fusion boosted just has a small fusion component, the neutrons from which increase the fission reaction. H bombs are a bombs with a fission primary and a fusion secondary. The small fission primary is used to ignite the much larger fusion secondary. Not sure if there is a difference between H bomb and staged thermonuclear weapons, I think they are the same?

According to wiki, in the boosted weapons the fusion component only adds about 1% to the total yield (seems a bit pointless).
  • Options
    and I think this is the story you referred to:

http://www.reformation.org/british-thermonuclear-bluff.html
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Can you give us a philosophical argument as to why we should accept extraterritorial jurisdiction?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

I think it's the squeezed middle.
    (What happened to that?)

Squeeze something hard enough and it turns into JAM
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Barnier apparently raised it at a meeting.

Now we don't know the context - it's most likely one of a laundry list that the EU legal service included only for it to be dismissed as impractical/unobtainable.

But Barnier is hardly "a completely obscure MEP"
  • Options
    RobD said:

and I think this is the story you referred to:

http://www.reformation.org/british-thermonuclear-bluff.html

A somewhat more detailed and slightly less polemic account:

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Uk/UKOrigin.html
  • Options

Charles said:

I doubt Mrs May is remotely bothered by the Lederhosen gag (her hyperactive 'protectors' may be another matter - tho with a bit of luck they'll have been told to chill).

Edit - imagine one of St Nicola's acolyte's trying it.....
    I agree. @TSE does seem a little over-sensitive at the moment
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

MTimT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

fpt

And America?

The America of Chicago?

[pedant mode on]

[/pedant mode off]
    A gun-design fission bomb fires some radioactive fuel (uranium or plutonium) into a ball of radioactive fuel to reach criticality (Hiroshima).

An implosion fission bomb uses a shell of explosives around the radioactive fuel to implode it in on itself to reach criticality (Nagasaki).

An H bomb does the same, but then uses that explosion to bring about fusion of deuterium and tritium (hence fusion-boosted fission and hence H bomb as deuterium and tritium are isomers of hydrogen).

Later designs have multiple stage explosions. I believe the US got up to a 3-stage explosion.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

fpt

And America?

The America of Chicago?

[pedant mode on]

[/pedant mode off]
    A gun-design fission bomb fires some radioactive fuel (uranium or plutonium) into a ball of radioactive fuel to reach criticality (Hiroshima).

An implosion fission bomb uses a shell of explosives around the radioactive fuel to implode it in on itself to reach criticality (Nagasaki).

An H bomb does the same, but then uses that explosion to bring about fusion of deuterium and tritium (hence fusion-boosted fission and hence H bomb as deuterium and tritium are isomers of hydrogen).

Later designs have multiple stage explosions. I believe the US got up to a 3-stage explosion.
    So an 'H-Bomb' is a single stage thermonuclear weapon?
  • Options
    Morning all.

Johnson’s amusing ribbing of the PM looks nothing like revenge, served hot or cold.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921
    SeanT said:

fpt for GardenWalker

I would have reluctantly voted Hillary (as I said on here) but I thought Trump's victory was hilarious. In the way it enraged liberal-lefties. Just like Brexit.

In office (as I have also long said) I expect him to be much more predictable and dull, he's a New York billionaire with foreign wives, he will be a pragmatic, hard-nosed and capitalist realpolitiker, he will disappoint many of his poorer voters - tho he might cheer them up by being white.

He won't start a nuclear war. He will seek the best deal with anyone, including Putin. He won't invade places but he will continue to bomb enemies. He is Reagan for an America clearly in Relative Decline.

My entire point is that he's not THAT different to Putin, and nor is America THAT different to Russia. Great powers with perceived interests. This is what they do. For a brief period, now definitely over, America was the unthreatened global hegemon and maybe sought to act as such, imposing democracy the way Britain - when it ruled the world - abolished slavery.

Imperial Britain probably did better than Imperial America.

"nor is America THAT different to Russia."

LOL. No. America is flawed, but Russia is sadly another order of magnitude. Just look at a small area that is in the news at the moment, sports, and see how over 1,000 athletes benefited from doping in a state-run scheme.

Not that some US sports stars don't use drugs, but the scale of what happened in Russia was something else.

I'm also surprised that someone who lives and works in London for most of the time is so forgetful of Litvinenko. That messy, botched assassination could easily have caused more injury to innocents around, such as yourself.

Your love of hardmen dictators such as Assad or Putin is odd given your occupation. As a journalist and writer, if you lived in such a state you would be one of the first people to be faced with a choice: bow down and support the government uncritically, or end up with you (and possibly your family) in jail or worse.

So what would it be? Would you be a Solzhenitsyn and a Gerlich, or would you bow down to what you know are forces of evil?
This discussion has been closed.