Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How Team Corbyn screwed up JC’s big day and reduced even furth

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited December 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How Team Corbyn screwed up JC’s big day and reduced even further LAB’s General Election chances

Remember what CON did to EdM who looked awkward eating bacon butties. Now they've got thishttps://t.co/qu9yGIMzmk via @HuffPostUKPol

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited December 2016
    Hell yes.

But did Coulson's appointment and convictions have any impact on GE2015?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    Ironically it is possible that Adams has moved further from the position they both held than Jezza.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    Hell no.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Hell yes.

But did Coulson's appointment and convictions have any impact on GE2015?

Coulson didn't commit any terrorist attacks.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    Has somebody turned off all of Labour's "WTF??????" filters? It doesn't seem to have even the most basic political nous under Corbyn.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited December 2016
    There are plenty of tweets mocking Corbyn.

But an ex Lab MP isn't impressed either. https://twitter.com/MrTCHarris/status/809182965486014464
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    This is testing the donkey rosette vote to destruction.

I'm amazed at how well the core vote is holding up.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    edited December 2016
    "Jeremy, quick, we have to do something - after today's PMQs you're in danger of looking credible!"
  • Options
    Corbyn's inner kitchen cabinet of Moaists just don't care. They really don't. It is their world view that is right and that's the end of it.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    20% beckons.
  • Options
    On a slightly less flippant note, what exactly is it he's hired this person to do?
  • Options
    Off topic, Rogue One is the best Star Wars film ever.

Plus it finally answers the long standing question of why Death Stars are so flawed.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Dear me - Labour has a Christmas single out to the tune of BandAid

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tuneless-witless-pointless-is-this-the-best-labour-can-do-m2dblx9b2
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I doubt it will have any impact.

Sinn Fein will be the least of his problems. Being besties with Hezbollah and the current terrorist groups will raise more hackles. Justice for Jihadi John showed his true colours.
  • Options
    Too generous to credit the Conservatives with Miliband's baconic destruction.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    edited December 2016
    Ironically it is possible that Adams has moved further from the position they both held than Jezza.

Almost certainly - Adams has been in a power sharing government with his previous arch rivals. Corbyn can't even contemplate working with certain other members of his own party.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Noone(*) cares about this stuff. People wouldn't have voted for Jez anyway.

(*) Not enough to be electorally significant anyway
  • Options

On a slightly less flippant note, what exactly is it he's hired this person to do?

Shami seems to be doing Seumas job right now, I've no idea what this lady is for. Or what Jezza is planning.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

I really want to believe you, but you liked SPECTRE.

Your judgement is not to be trusted
  • Options
    The man is sabotaging Labour beyond repair.
  • Options
    There's a generational divide between those who can't see why anyone would fuss about this and those who are utterly appalled.

Those who are utterly appalled, however, are in the age group that votes.
  • Options
    Just for trivia

Daniel Hamilton
    Hillary Clinton’s margin of victory over Trump outside New York City was just 760 votes out of 4.6 million cast. https://t.co/26GKUA70iE
  • Options
    She is the “Stakeholder Engagement Manager” according to HuffPo.

The mind boggles as to who are the stakeholders in Corbyn's Labour party. I'm assuming Russia, Sinn Fein, Hamas, Iran, North Korea and Len McCluskey until I hear otherwise.
  • Options
    Mr. Fletcher, possibly. It requires the Lib Dems and UKIP to take chunks out of Labour. The former could well do. The latter... could either fail utterly or become an existential threat. I suspect failing is more likely.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    This is a good way to piss off our friends in the SDLP too.

Oh well, something else to throw at the Corbynites at tonight's Labour Christmas do.
  • Options
    I should thank Jez, he wants my Labour to poll sub 20% at the general election tip a winner.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927

There's a generational divide between those who can't see why anyone would fuss about this and those who are utterly appalled.

They were around when London was on permanent alert lest Jezzas mates decided to kill us.
  • Options
    Can't argue with Mike's analysis.

On the plus side, it should help Labour win Sinn Fein support in the lobbies. Oh, hang on ...
  • Options
    It won't impress the PM either who lost a University acquaintance in the Harrods bombing.....
  • Options
    Anyone who enjoys political death should go online and listen to Radio Ulster now!
  • Options
    "On a slightly less flippant note, what exactly is it he's hired this person to do?"

Publicise what the part stands for?

(The Quote function seems not to be available - is this just me?)
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    TOPPING said:

Certainly.Gerry Adams revels in his national treasure persona. It sticks in the throat given the horrible things he did and for which he has never atoned. Still, if it means an absence of fighting we will go along with it.
  • Options

Jez is losing that group by a massive margin anyway. My question is whose mind will this change ?
  • Options
    I grew up in Brum so know all about what fear of the IRA means.

• Options
    Plato
    If you deduct California (where conservatives/republicans don't bother because their vote is a waste under Electoral College rules) then the Donald won both a massive ECV landslide and a popular vote one too.
    I think the underlying message is: If you have an ECV system then that (and only that) is what counts. But ascribing any meaning to the popular vote in an ECV system is a nonsense. If the election were to be rerun as a popular vote one then a gajillion righties would emerge from the CA/NY/New England darkness to vote for the first time in ages.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Mr Herdson, it's not just you.

"It won't impress the PM either who lost a University acquaintance in the Harrods bombing....."

Or anyone on the Labour side who was a friend of Christopher Ewart-Biggs, or his widow who became a Labour peer?
  • Options
    "(The Quote function seems not to be available - is this just me?)"

No. Been a problem all morning.
  • Options
    I doubt that Corbyn's gang see any issue. I bet it had not even occurred to them that there would be an issue. They see the world through a prism.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    edited December 2016

"On a slightly less flippant note, what exactly is it he's hired this person to do?"

Publicise what the part stands for?

(The Quote function seems not to be available - is this just me?)

It's a shocking revelation that you haven't bothered to read the last thread or most of this one (apart from detailed discussion of the great quoting crisis, you didn't miss much).
  • Options

I doubt that Corbyn's gang see any issue. I bet it had not even occurred to them that there would be an issue. They see the world through a prism.

He's mates with the IRA, he wants rid of the Queen, he won't sing the national anthem, he calls Hamas and hezbollah 'friends'... normal people just think he's a weirdo. First time ever one of my mates brought up politics was just to say 'who's this nutter in charge of labour party'?
  • Options
    Sure, Corbyn's IRA links don't resonate so much with the under 35s. But the political storm caused by them does. The activists that won't bother, press coverage, momentum, Momentum, etc etc.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    Well at least we'll hold on to all of those Catholic-dominated seat we hold around Glasgow...

...oh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2016
    In some ways I think the worst IRA murder was that of Airey Neave. A minister in Thatcher's government and a close friend and confidant to her, he was a pleasant but not generally well known politician. His main claim to fame though was that he was one of the very very few allied prisoners to make a 'home run' from Colditz and rejoin the fight against Hitler's Germany. His escape story is fantastic - not just the getting out of Colditz itself but the run to home across the Reich and occupied Europe. A true Boys Own hero, which I'm sure in part is why he was selected for death by the Feinians.
  • Options

Mr Herdson, it's not just you.

"It won't impress the PM either who lost a University acquaintance in the Harrods bombing....."

Or anyone on the Labour side who was a friend of Christopher Ewart-Biggs, or his widow who became a Labour peer?

Yep Jane Ewart Biggs was enobled in 1981 and in 1983 appointed Labour front-bench spokesman on home affairs, and additionally consumer affairs and overseas development in 1987. In 1988 she became an opposition whip.
  • Options
    Patrick "I think the underlying message is: If you have an ECV system then that (and only that) is what counts. But ascribing any meaning to the popular vote in an ECV system is a nonsense. If the election were to be rerun as a popular vote one then a gajillion righties would emerge from the CA/NY/New England darkness to vote for the first time in ages."

To be fair, 14 Democrat voters would also appear in Utah...
  • Options

The over 65s have May sixty six points ahead of Corbyn in net favourability ratings.....
  • Options

Sure, Corbyn's IRA links don't resonate so much with the under 35s. But the political storm caused by them does. The activists that won't bother, press coverage, momentum, Momentum, etc etc.

What will resonate is health, housing, education, jobs, inflation.

Mention of Corbyn and the IRA will be WTF has that got to do with anything?

Bit of confirmation bias going on here by the Corbyn haters.
  • Options
    TSE: "But did Coulson's appointment and convictions have any impact on GE2015?"

Did ANY of tim's talking points have any impact on GE2015?

• Options
    Barnesian said:

Mention of Corbyn and the IRA will be WTF has that got to do with anything?
    Maybe, possibly, his judgement?

Or suitability for high office?

Or indeed, any office?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

20% beckons.

I'm not sure it will for the simple reason that too many of the Labour base simply won't notice and react partisanly when the (inevitable) Tory/media attacks go in hard during the campaign.

They'll assume it's exaggerated, even though it's not.

Unless Paul Nuttal shows the strategic genius of Alexander the Great and cleans up the North, I think Corbyn will clock 24-25%.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    edited December 2016

The generation which might not worry about the IRA so much will worry if they think that a Labour leader who has consorted with terrorists in the past and is willing to hire from their political wing is willing to consort with today's terrorists. Corbyn has not exactly been strong on IS has he? Or on using soldiers to shoot anyone seeking to attack us.

Why should Corbyn be trusted on IS when he can't be trusted on the IRA?

And it is the young who will likely suffer if IS bring their violence here - cf Bataclan, Nice etc.

EDIT: in reply to @Barnesian: yes what you mention resonates but not when violence is directed at those very same young. Corbyn's attitude to the IRA mirrors his attitude to IS and their fellow travelers. He simply cannot be trusted to keep you safe and being safe and alive matters to the young, just as much as it does to the rest of us.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Plato
    If you deduct California (where conservatives/republicans don't bother because their vote is a waste under Electoral College rules) then the Donald won both a massive ECV landslide and a popular vote one too.
    I think the underlying message is: If you have an ECV system then that (and only that) is what counts. But ascribing any meaning to the popular vote in an ECV system is a nonsense. If the election were to be rerun as a popular vote one then a gajillion righties would emerge from the CA/NY/New England darkness to vote for the first time in ages.

What a nonsense analysis.

If you deduct California, then you need to at least deduct

WY, WV, OK, ND, ID, KY, SD, AL, AR

from Trump - which is in fact 48 ECVs compared to California's 55 and were equally as foregone a conclusion (Trump received 66.9% of the two party vote in these states compared to 66.1% for Hillary in California) then Hillary still wins the popular vote by ~ 1.4 million.

• Options

TSE: "But did Coulson's appointment and convictions have any impact on GE2015?"

Did ANY of tim's talking points have any impact on GE2015?

Surely 'man cries at funeral' did?

No? How about 'PM shops at Morrisons'?

Not even 'Man rides horse'?
  • Options
    TUD: "It's a shocking revelation that you haven't bothered to read the last thread or most of this one (apart from detailed discussion of the great quoting crisis, you didn't miss much)."

Yeah - babies. Such a time-drain. ;-)
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, if Nuttall were Alexander's equal, he'd be aiming to be Leader of the Opposition after the next election.
  • Options
    Be a tad careful of hysterical overreaction. Zac got his p45 after he relied on Sadiq standing close to Islamists in the mayoral election. At first sight it is not good but what did this woman actually do for Sinn Fein, when did she do it, and what is her role for Jezza?
  • Options

Patrick "I think the underlying message is: If you have an ECV system then that (and only that) is what counts. But ascribing any meaning to the popular vote in an ECV system is a nonsense. If the election were to be rerun as a popular vote one then a gajillion righties would emerge from the CA/NY/New England darkness to vote for the first time in ages."

To be fair, 14 Democrat voters would also appear in Utah...

Hillary also won the popular vote but lost the delegate college to Obama in 2008 during the democratic primaries.

Funny, I don't remember hearing too many complaints then.
  • Options

Plus it finally answers the long standing question of why Death Stars are so flawed.

No it's not. Empire strikes back is still the best. I saw a preview earlier this week. The order is ESB > ANH > TFA > ROTJ > R1 >>> ROTS >>>>>>> AOTC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PM
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

The generation which might not worry about the IRA so much will worry if they think that a Labour leader who has consorted with terrorists in the past and is willing to hire from their political wing is willing to consort with today's terrorists. Corbyn has not exactly been strong on IS has he? Or on using soldiers to shoot anyone seeking to attack us.

And it is the young who will likely suffer if IS bring their violence here - cf Bataclan, Nice etc.

EDIT: in reply to @Barnesian: yes what you mention resonates but not when violence is directed at those very same young. Corbyn's attitude to the IRA mirrors his attitude to IS and their fellow travelers. He simply cannot be trusted to keep you safe and being safe and alive matters to the young, just as much as it does to the rest of us.
    Even if that happens the most the majority will do is temporarily change their profile picture on Facebook, and then continue not to vote.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Jez is losing that group by a massive margin anyway. My question is whose mind will this change ?
    As Lucian says, Corbyn goes beyond indifference towards the party he pretends to lead, to outright sabotage. This move will upset those that CARE about the Labour Party, who have always voted Labour and maybe campaign for them. Even if they don't personally mind about the appointment they know Corbyn is reckless with what they hold dear.
  • Options

Be a tad careful of hysterical overreaction. Zac got his p45 after he relied on Sadiq standing close to Islamists in the mayoral election. At first sight it is not good but what did this woman actually do for Sinn Fein, when did she do it, and what is her role for Jezza?

London is not England.
  • Options

Mr. Royale, if Nuttall were Alexander's equal, he'd be aiming to be Leader of the Opposition after the next election.

That's theoretically possible, if rather improbable.

If Labour got pincered and dumped 30 seats to the Tories, and 110 to UKIP, they hey presto.

But more likely in Canada than here. I might be tempted at 50/1
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

As Lucian says, Corbyn goes beyond indifference towards the party he pretends to lead, to outright sabotage. This move will upset those that CARE about the Labour Party, who have always voted Labour and maybe campaign for them. Even if they don't personally mind about the appointment they know Corbyn is reckless with what they hold dear.
    Those people will rationalise it that they're fighting for the Labour party, not Corbyn come election time.
  • Options
    Pulpstar: "Jez is losing that group by a massive margin anyway. My question is whose mind will this change ?"

That's the wrong question (answer: not all that many, though it'll confirm quite a few who've switched from Labour on the grounds that Corbyn can't be trusted). The right question is what does the appointment say about Corbyn's understanding of how politics works and how his party will campaign before and during a full-on election campaign? What are their priorities? What do they not regard as important but which other people - opponents, media, public - might regard as important? What weak spots does it identify for other parties or hostile media to attack? What will it do to Labour morale and division? Will it actually make his team more effective or less so?

In terms of direct impact, the appointment will have little effect now. The indirect impact, however, just adds to the existing trends - and the existing trends are not at all good for Labour.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    edited December 2016
    No it's not. Empire strikes back is still the best. I saw a preview earlier this week. The order is ESB > ANH > TFA > ROTJ > R1 >>> ROTS >>>>>>> AOTC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PM

TFA ahead of ROTJ?! Madness.

It's ROTJ (yes, even with the ewoks), ESB, TFA, ROS, ANH, AOTC, TPM (yes, I put a prequel above ANH - I like it, but nostalgia overlooks how crap the acting is, even compared to the prequels, which are not good movies, but I enjoy just fine. They are not the worse things ever put to film, as some fanboys act like)

Seeing R1 in a few hours - it looks very good. I still think trailers deserve their own awards, particularly when a trailer looks fantastic when the movie is bad (unless it's one of those ones which basically invents whole scenes by stitching things together).
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

As a visual treat it is the best.

Even if you know where the plot was headed, thanks to A New Hope, it maintained tension all the way through.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

The difference with Sadiq is that he at least condemned the terrorists, which is why Zac's accusations did not resonate. Corbyn has been somewhat equivocal about condemning IS and those who shill for them. See, for instance, the speech he made after the 7/7 bombings.

I said it last night and will say it again: it shows appalling moral and political judgment on Corbyn's part. It fits with his world view. But it is a world view and a judgment which I find repellent. And I think it means that he is not fit to be LoTo let alone PM.

Judgment and moral character matter. I may be the only person who believes this. But I don't care. He does not have the right judgment or moral character to be in a position of leadership let alone as leader of the Labour Party, a party which - if not mine - has been a great party, has decent people in it and supporting it and has done some worthwhile things for this country. He should not be allowed to trash its reputation but if Labour members are happy with what he is doing then too bad. The rest of us will make our judgments accordingly.
  • Options

Pulpstar: "Jez is losing that group by a massive margin anyway. My question is whose mind will this change ?"

That's the wrong question (answer: not all that many, though it'll confirm quite a few who've switched from Labour on the grounds that Corbyn can't be trusted). The right question is what does the appointment say about Corbyn's understanding of how politics works and how his party will campaign before and during a full-on election campaign? What are their priorities? What do they not regard as important but which other people - opponents, media, public - might regard as important? What weak spots does it identify for other parties or hostile media to attack? What will it do to Labour morale and division? Will it actually make his team more effective or less so?

In terms of direct impact, the appointment will have little effect now. The indirect impact, however, just adds to the existing trends - and the existing trends are not at all good for Labour.

It seems he is the kind of person who knows the signal it will send, but will pretend to be bemused that anyone would think it odd
  • Options
    Even if you know where the plot was headed, thanks to A New Hope, it maintained tension all the way through.

I'm hopping off in case of spoilers, but I do wonder if it will make people hate the rebels a bit, unless there's an explanation after why so much effort in R1, they apparently had to send the plans to one location which was immediately captured and the only copy put on a droid which would have been destroyed had a weapon officer decided there was no need to blow up an escape pod.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

Those people will rationalise it that they're fighting for the Labour party, not Corbyn come election time.
    Maybe. Your thought here assumes Labour has hit bedrock, I think. Those that will despair and give up have already done so.
  • Options
    Anyone who is arguing that a general election campaign with Corbyn's support of the IRA mentioned daily in most newspapers won't be a total, existential disaster for the Labour Party is either stupid or delusional. I'm only 37 and IRA bombs are some of my most distinct childhood and teenage memories. Anyone my age and older remembers. And cares. I know I am more involved now but when I met my wife and asked where she was from my first comment was 'oh, where the Remembrance Service was bombed'.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    After the first of the prequels I didn't even go to see the others - painful stuff. TFA was ok, well made, but badly scripted and felt like a tickbox exercise to attract the fans.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Yeah, but in the era of 6k HDR cameras and almost life like CGI vs celluloid and 90s overlay on celluloid there is only ever one winner. In terms of the story, it benefited from the writers not being able to stray too far from the original story about the death star. TFA was the same which is why it was a good movie, despite a pretty rubbish baddie.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Cyclefree said:

Who said:

“There is no doubt that the so-called Islamic State group has imposed a reign of terror on millions in Iraq, Syria and Libya. All that ISIS stands for and does is contrary to everything those of us on these benches have struggled for over generations.

“And there is no doubt that it poses a threat to our own people."

EDIT: Answer: Corbyn

http://www.labour.org.uk/pages/jeremy-corbyn-statement-on-Syria

I believe that Corbyn supported the objectives of the IRA (a united Ireland) but I very much doubt that he supported their methods. By now we all know his approach is jaw, jaw rather than war,war.

EDIT: He most certainly doesn't support the objectives of ISIS! It is a mistake to conflate the two.

Corbyn's problem is that he cannot provide leadership to his MPs. They distrust him, they do not respect him, he can't impose discipline. The result is that the Labour Party is not providing effective opposition.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I asked my son if he was going to queue up to see Rogue One, but he rather sniffily informed me that he only does that for Star Wars movies with a roman numeral in their titles.
  • Options
    Sorry, but I'm finding it hard to stir myself up into moral indignation over this. As a nation we decided to eschew the 'military solution' and, rightly or wrongly, opted instead for the 'let bygones be bygones' approach. Either Sinn Féin have been totally forgiven or they haven't. Stirring up old resentments for party-political advantage is the worst kind of opportunism.
  • Options
    Labour...ever decreasing circles...
  • Options
    All we need is a few terrorist scares prior to a GE - hopefully no real action- and the "security" issue will predominate much of political debate.

On that basis, Corbyn scores zero out of 10..

The fact that this appointment was made suggests the thought of impression on voters never crossed anyone's mind...
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

What it might do is concentrate the minds of the moderates in the Labour Party. The longer they stay in the same party as Jezza and his mates the more likely they'll be tarred with the same brush.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I asked my son if he was going to queue up to see Rogue One, but he rather sniffily informed me that he only does that for Star Wars movies with a roman numeral in their titles.
    Should have called it V.IV
  • Options
    Andrew said:

After the first of the prequels I didn't even go to see the others - painful stuff. TFA was ok, well made, but badly scripted and felt like a tickbox exercise to attract the fans.

Overly formulaic plot but very well presented, and the new actors were fantastic was my view. They went safe with the plot to avoid upsetting prequel haters I think, to reassure people.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'm hopping off in case of spoilers, but I do wonder if it will make people hate the rebels a bit, unless there's an explanation after why so much effort in R1, they apparently had to send the plans to one location which was immediately captured and the only copy put on a droid which would have been destroyed had a weapon officer decided there was no need to blow up an escape pod.

It made me like the rebels even more and not just because of Felicity Jones.
  • Options
    Well said Cyclefree.
  • Options
    Corbyn's worldview is simple: everything is the fault of capitalism and the West, who are imperialists. All institutions of Western states are implicated, particularly in the U.K. The solution is an internationalist socialist republic, of which he might be the local coordinator in these islands. And the ends justify the means. And he thinks some deserve the means anyway.

That's why he's so comfortable posing next to images of Stalin and Lenin: because he agrees with them.

Once you understand his dogma, it's very easy to predict what he'll say and do.
  • Options

kle4 said:

It made me like the rebels even more and not just because of Felicity Jones.
    Stand out performance IMO. She is absolutely brilliant.
  • Options
    "Anyone who is arguing that a general election campaign with Corbyn's support of the IRA mentioned daily in most newspapers won't be a total, existential disaster for the Labour Party is either stupid or delusional."

I dunno there might not be time in a five week campaign to cram this one in, being as there are so many other security and defence issues where Corbyn will be slaughtered (no pun intended).
  • Options
    Continuing the US analysis, if we eliminate both New York and California - then Tennessee,
    Nebraska, Kansas , Montana, Louisiana all need to be eliminated too - Hillary still 1.4 million votes ahead.
  • Options
    It's a shame Grand Admiral Thrawn wasn't the antagonist in The Force Awakens, but there we are.
  • Options
    Sorry, but I'm finding it hard to stir myself up into moral indignation over this. As a nation we decided to eschew the 'military solution' and, rightly or wrongly, opted instead for the 'let bygones be bygones' approach. Either Sinn Féin have been totally forgiven or they haven't. Stirring up old resentments for party-political advantage is the worst kind of opportunism.

We have to work with the IRA leaders for the sake of the country. Corbyn seems to share ideals with them (thankfully not methods), which is more disquieting given he is not them. It's not the same as the rather weak questions thrown at Khan.

Good day all.
  • Options
    Stark: "Sorry, but I'm finding it hard to stir myself up into moral indignation over this. As a nation we decided to eschew the 'military solution' and, rightly or wrongly, opted instead for the 'let bygones be bygones' approach. Either Sinn Féin have been totally forgiven or they haven't. Stirring up old resentments for party-political advantage is the worst kind of opportunism."

Sinn Fein still want to break up the UK. To those who care about keeping the country together, the appointment is at the very least symbollic of a leadership that can't be trusted on the issue.

I agree that Corbyn's own history in the 1980s is more relevant, though the appointment simply reinforces that the campaigning point has relevance.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited December 2016
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Was part of it shot in Canary Wharf Tube?

I love showing visiting nieces & nephews the real places films are shot (Greenwich obvious choice - its been in one of the Thor films & was Paris in Les Mis...)
  • Options
    Stark Dawning: "Sorry, but I'm finding it hard to stir myself up into moral indignation over this. As a nation we decided to eschew the 'military solution' and, rightly or wrongly, opted instead for the 'let bygones be bygones' approach. Either Sinn Féin have been totally forgiven or they haven't. Stirring up old resentments for party-political advantage is the worst kind of opportunism."

Then try a little harder. Corbyn's attitude to the country's enemies of the past informs his attitude to current and future enemies.

He will not stand up for Britain.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    kle4 said:

TFA ahead of ROTJ?! Madness.

It's ROTJ (yes, even with the ewoks), ESB, TFA, ROS, ANH, AOTC, TPM (yes, I put a prequel above ANH - I like it, but nostalgia overlooks how crap the acting is, even compared to the prequels, which are not good movies, but I enjoy just fine. They are not the worse things ever put to film, as some fanboys act like)

Seeing R1 in a few hours - it looks very good. I still think trailers deserve their own awards, particularly when a trailer looks fantastic when the movie is bad (unless it's one of those ones which basically invents whole scenes by stitching things together).

ROTS was for me a huge leap in quality over the previous two prequels. TFA left me cold - it felt more like a reboot than a sequel. It could have gone in a far more interesting direction than big obvious space nazis. Hoping that the next two main films aren't just rehashes of the old trilogy as well.

ESB>ROTJ>ROTS>ANH>TFA>AOTC>TPM is the correct order :)
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Lib Dems creeping up on Labour

Be afraid @pulpstar ☺️

https://twitter.com/standardnews/status/809343495378874368
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Was part of it shot in Canary Wharf Tube?

I love showing visiting nieces & nephews the real places films are shot (Greenwich obvious choice - its been in one of the Thor films & was Paris in Les Mis...)
    Yup

https://www.buzzfeed.com/scottybryan/yes-star-wars-rogue-one-was-filmed-on-the-lond
  • Options

"Anyone who is arguing that a general election campaign with Corbyn's support of the IRA mentioned daily in most newspapers won't be a total, existential disaster for the Labour Party is either stupid or delusional."

I dunno there might not be time in a five week campaign to cram this one in, being as there are so many other security and defence issues where Corbyn will be slaughtered (no pun intended).

Quite. New Trident submarines (to protect jobs) but no missiles. That is plainly stupid, will be current and will gain traction. As stupid as new aircraft carriers but no planes.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

The trouble with that is that I don't think Sinn Fein have been forgiven. How can there be forgiveness without repentance? As a nation we collectively held our nose and entered into an accommodation with them for the sake of peace, but that's not the same as forgiveness.
  • Options
    Latest Ipsos Mori/Evening Standard poll (changes since Nov)

Con 40 (-2)

Lab 29 (-4)

LD 14 (+4)

UKIP 9 (+2)

Greens 3 (nc)

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/liberal-democrats-jump-to-best-poll-rating-in-five-years-after-richmond-park-triumph-a3420906.html
This discussion has been closed.