Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After a dramatic political year David Herdson looks at the big

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited December 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After a dramatic political year David Herdson looks at the big picture

David Herdson in a London street

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,379
    A thought provoked first.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    Second, but only because the forum logs me out several times a day
  • Options
    Fear of communism, and of people turning to communism, forced capitalism to give due regard to fairness in curbing its tendency to excess inequality. When this went away the brakes came off.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,379
    And are [1] and [2] in your seventh paragraph relics of Wikipedia*, as they don't appear to refer to anything ?

*One of the forces for good in this world, and my charity of choice this Christmas.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good morning and a happy Christmas holiday to all.

I like Mr Herdson's Windsor Knot in his tie but the colour is, to say the least, ugh!
  • Options
    Excellent thread Mr Herdson - and as you wrote, potentially (even) more depressing than MiseryMeeks.

However, growing up in the 60s & 70s I recall confident predictions that 'oil would run out before the year 2000' and the limits of crop production would lead to widespread famine.

Humankind's ingenuity came to the rescue - and I'm optimistic it will do so again. While it's true that its politics rather than technology that will have to step up to the plate - as we've seen with both Trump & Brexit, at least they're now (mostly) listening.....
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    IanB2 said:

Fear of communism, and of people turning to communism, forced capitalism to give due regard to fairness in curbing its tendency to excess inequality. When this went away the brakes came off.

And yet the Left appear completely unable to articulate any of this. I'm generally on the right of politics. I favour a small state and favour free trade. But at the same time I have respect for the fact that we are a nation state and all that goes with it.

What really annoyed me about the Remain campaign in the EU referendum is not once did they put forward a case for reforming Britain in a way that was consistent with the four freedoms of the Single Market. I reckon we could reduce migration to this country from Eastern Europe by radically stripping back the welfare state. Essentially, I wanted to hear the Remainers advocating the removal of housing benefit, tax credits, the lot. I probably would have still voted Leave - but it would have made me think about it.

Of course, had any of the pro-Remain Tories gone down this road, it would have sparked a crisis with Labour and the Lib Dems. What's annoyed me further is the reaction to the Autumn statement. Before 23 June, the public finances were a complete mess. But the media didn't care. As far as they were concerned, the evil Tories were cutting too much. But post-Brexit, the borrowing figures are another reason why leaving the EU will be a disaster.

How will it end? I suspect there is another financial crisis coming towards us and that will swamp all the other political issues.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    A good and thoughtful header from DH.

Globalisation seems to decrease inequality between countries at the expense of increasing inequality within them. It is important to keep some perspective though. USA incomes for the 90% may well be the same as in 1986, but that was a pretty good standard.

The conclusion of a recent study of Danes using social media concluded: "Instead of focussing on what we actually need we have an unfortunate tendency to focus on what other people have"

http://www.happinessresearchinstitute.com/download/i/mark_dl/u/4012182887/4624845731/The Facebook Experiment.pdf

If this is true of the famously content and wealthy state of Denmark, then how much more so of the rest of the world? and social media globalises everything. Smartphones and internet are increasingly global (as seen in many of the pictures of the refugees/migrants crossing the Mediterranean).

Populist movements are not just a product of the developed world, indeed the dangerous movement of Islamism has Populism as one of its aspects.

Take what we know of the Berlin Christmas killer: Born in provincial Tunisia to a large family, but poorly educated and with no real marketable skills. He bought himself a place to enter Europe from the people smugglers, and nearly his first act was one of anger and entitlement when he burnt down the migrant hostel that the Italian taxpayer had housed him in. After this he sought the better prospects in Germany, yet couldn't access the good life as he had none of the skills needed for even a low level legitimate job. His life became one of resentment and petty crime, fueled by resentment of the consumer culture that he craved, as well as radical Islamists who convinced him of entitlement to superiority over the kaffir.

The recent IS inspired attacks have often been attacks on consumerism. This Christmas market one, the promenade at Nice, the music fans of the Bataclan, the diners of Paris, the football fans of Paris, the shoppers of Nairobi, the clubbers of Orlando etc. There is obviously a religious streak to these attacks that legitimises violence, but also an anti-consumer angle as to why these soft targets were chosen. The surplus people of globalisation are a real risk.

On the other hand consumer trinkits are seductive, as are other aspects of Western Consumer culture. Chinese clothes, Hollywood, Bollywood and Nollywood movies, American music, TV and Movies, Facebook and Twitter all undermine the traditional power structures of the developing world. The Islamists hate it because they know that the people love it. It is the soft power that will break them, but it is not going to be quick or easy.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848
    Very thoughtful thread that sets the scene well for the rollercoaster ride that will be 2017. Thanks David, and all the other leader writers this year!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848
    Why bookies love novelty bets, exhibit #42
    Song that's been number one for the last six weeks holds on to claim the Christmas No1 slot, with all the new releases nowhere and the 'Christmas' songs dominated by all the old classics.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artists/clean-bandit-claim-christmas-number-one-rockabye/
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    IanB2 said:

Even were that the case, there is a limit to how far you can apply the brakes in a globalised world where the businesses and people you intend to regulate can simply move to a new jurisdiction, in all likelihood a jurisdiction that is enjoying the concomitant benefits its economy and doesnt have the slightest intention of making their life difficult.
  • Options
    Interesting to note that the town of Tataouine in Tunisia, where the recent truck hijacker in Germany originated as been highlight for a while as an IS hotspot.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/mar/25/tatouine-star-wars-town-tunisia-isis-waypoint-tatooine

The town’s name inspired George Lucas for the name of Luke Skywalker’s home planet of Tatooine, and die-hard fans often make pilgrimages to the sets elsewhere in the country. But the town has reportedly become increasingly unsafe, as it is a waypoint for Isis fighters travelling to and from training bases in Libya, 60 miles to the east
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

And yet the Left appear completely unable to articulate any of this. I'm generally on the right of politics. I favour a small state and favour free trade. But at the same time I have respect for the fact that we are a nation state and all that goes with it.

What really annoyed me about the Remain campaign in the EU referendum is not once did they put forward a case for reforming Britain in a way that was consistent with the four freedoms of the Single Market. I reckon we could reduce migration to this country from Eastern Europe by radically stripping back the welfare state. Essentially, I wanted to hear the Remainers advocating the removal of housing benefit, tax credits, the lot. I probably would have still voted Leave - but it would have made me think about it.

Of course, had any of the pro-Remain Tories gone down this road, it would have sparked a crisis with Labour and the Lib Dems. What's annoyed me further is the reaction to the Autumn statement. Before 23 June, the public finances were a complete mess. But the media didn't care. As far as they were concerned, the evil Tories were cutting too much. But post-Brexit, the borrowing figures are another reason why leaving the EU will be a disaster.

How will it end? I suspect there is another financial crisis coming towards us and that will swamp all the other political issues.
    I am an LibDem, in the past on the Social Democrat side of Labour, and agree. For the welfare state to survive in an age of Globalisation it has to be compatible with the international movements of both rich and poor. For that to work it has to become more like the contributory systems of Southern Europe rather than our universalist system.

We could and should have done this within the EU, but will need to do so outside. Leaving the EU is not going to stop immigration, just switch it from the middle income countries of Eastern Europe to the poorer countries of Asia and Africa.
  • Options

I am an LibDem, in the past on the Social Democrat side of Labour, and agree. For the welfare state to survive in an age of Globalisation it has to be compatible with the international movements of both rich and poor. For that to work it has to become more like the contributory systems of Southern Europe rather than our universalist system.

What's the case for this specifically? There's not much evidence that Britain's welfare system is a big draw for immigrants; It's not particularly generous compared to other possible destinations, people who move around generally want to work, and generally succeed in finding work to do.

You can make the case for a more contributory system on its own merits, but on its own merits it generally sounds like a bad idea. The welfare system generally pays people the minimum the government thinks they can reasonably live on and the country won't generally want to just let non-contributors starve (which puts pressure on hospitals and law enforcement and may end up costing more), so to make the system more contributory you end up paying more welfare to people who have paid in, which is more expensive than the current system.

Do British people really want to pay more taxes to harmonize their welfare system with other parts of the EU?
  • Options

What's the case for this specifically? There's not much evidence that Britain's welfare system is a big draw for immigrants; It's not particularly generous compared to other possible destinations, people who move around generally want to work, and generally succeed in finding work to do.

You can make the case for a more contributory system on its own merits, but on its own merits it generally sounds like a bad idea. The welfare system generally pays people the minimum the government thinks they can reasonably live on and the country won't generally want to just let non-contributors starve (which puts pressure on hospitals and law enforcement and may end up costing more), so to make the system more contributory you end up paying more welfare to people who have paid in, which is more expensive than the current system.

Do British people really want to pay more taxes to harmonize their welfare system with other parts of the EU?
    I am not particularly arguing it is a draw, just that our existing social settlement on welfare and pensions is under demographic threat, part endogenous from ageing and internal migration, and partly due to external migration.

I would prioritise early years welfare, secondary and tertiary education as it is clear the future economy will be a knowledge based one. Taxing middle income people only to return the money as tax credits is absurd.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Working and getting benefits are not mutually exclusive given the generosity of WFTC in paying out on the basis of virtually no actual work, and when you include the free education and health care for them and their families. The real point however isn't about generosity, it is as the good doctor implies, about accessibility, turn up with a couple of kids, get a basic 16hr job, and get very rapid access to WFTC, housing benefit, free healthcare, free education, and a range of other perks without having to worry about having contributed a penny to the system, most comparable destinations are nothing like as accessible.

To some extent even that is beside the point. Politics is perception, and a lot of voters are under the impression that they have worked all their lives to pay into a system to support themselves and their kith and kin in moments of difficulty, and don't see why other people who have as yet made no discernible contribution to the system should benefit in the same fashion. You might believe they are mistaken, but it wont stop them voting on that basis. A contributory system lances that political boil.

• Options
    On topic, David Herdson is repeating the standard media narrative: Globalization reducing real household incomes, and this causing people to vote for right-wing populists.

The problem with this narrative is that the main base of all these parties is retired people. Their incomes aren't doing too badly, and they benefit economically from globalization: People working and making stuff for them are cheaper, there are more taxpayers funding their government pensions, and if the assets they own (either directly or through pension funds) are worth more with more consumers. And nearly all the parties they're voting for advocate fewer regulations on businesses and lower taxes for rich people. I know it's sometimes possible to bury policies your voters don't like under ones that they do, but if you buy the economic dislocation argument the scale of the mismatch here is ridiculous.

Since the standard economic explanation makes no sense, we should instead listen to what these people are actually saying, which is mainly that they don't like immigrants, and they'd rather live in communities more like the ones they grew up in rather than having their culture suddenly change on them.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    edited December 2016

I am not particularly arguing it is a draw, just that our existing social settlement on welfare and pensions is under demographic threat, part endogenous from ageing and internal migration, and partly due to external migration.

So what I'm asking for is some evidence for that second part ("social settlement on welfare and pensions is under demographic threat, partly...due to external migration"), unless you're also making @AlsoIndigo 's case that people *think* this is happening, so it would be helpful to pretend to do something about it.
  • Options
    Logged out again by the forum, twice in a few hours,....sigh

@AlsoIndigo there are nevertheless countries that make a much better stab at it than we do
  • Options
    edited December 2016

So what I'm asking for is some evidence for that second part ("social settlement on welfare and pensions is under demographic threat, partly...due to external migration"), unless you're also making @AlsoIndigo 's case that people *think* this is happening, so it would be helpful to pretend to do something about it.
    That was partly my case, but I think it is seen by many voters as a "fairness" issue. They will argue that they have paid their taxes so that their family and friends can avail themselves of the services the country provides, and that their neighbours do likewise. They then see waiting times for their doctors going up, availability of dentists going down, and problems getting their children into the schools they want, at the same time as they see people who have recently arrived in the country, and haven't made the payments they have, getting treated in front of them, and getting their kids into school on par with them, if not ahead of them. People get similarly pissed off with indigenous people that appear to have been sitting on the dole all their life and are conspicuously not lifting a finger to get a job. Both cases feel like taking the piss. Conversely the amount of resentment most voters would feel against that nice Chinese couple that run the local takeout and conspicuously having been contributors to the system for years is approximately zero.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Interesting thread, Mr. Herdson.

Mr. B2, I sympathise with your annoyance. For some reason, a single tab from the comment box shifted from posting it to logging me out. Used to it now, but it was very frustrating for the first couple of days.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Working and getting benefits are not mutually exclusive given the generosity of WFTC in paying out on the basis of virtually no actual work, and when you include the free education and health care for them and their families. The real point however isn't about generosity, it is as the good doctor implies, about accessibility, turn up with a couple of kids, get a basic 16hr job, and get very rapid access to WFTC, housing benefit, free healthcare, free education, and a range of other perks without having to worry about having contributed a penny to the system, most comparable destinations are nothing like as accessible.

To some extent even that is beside the point. Politics is perception, and a lot of voters are under the impression that they have worked all their lives to pay into a system to support themselves and their kith and kin in moments of difficulty, and don't see why other people who have as yet made no discernible contribution to the system should benefit in the same fashion. You might believe they are mistaken, but it wont stop them voting on that basis. A contributory system lances that political boil.

I sort-of take your final point about perception, but the problem is that if people think there's a problem and tell them that doing X will solve it, then you get elected and do X and it doesn't solve it, they end up thinking politicians are all full of shit and voting for some populist gobshite, which is where this whole thread started.

On the reality, the only benefit that isn't normally available immediately is unemployment benefit, so your explanation would work if there were a lot of people showing up in the UK then claiming unemployment benefit for a long time. But there aren't.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,202
    Good piece David. Just a smidge of inner socialist peeping out?
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    edited December 2016

Since the standard economic explanation makes no sense, we should instead listen to what these people are actually saying, which is mainly that they don't like immigrants, and they'd rather live in communities more like the ones they grew up in rather than having their culture suddenly change on them.

And you would achieve that how, exactly? To take a concrete example, say in Leicester?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Intokyo,

"we should instead listen to what these people are actually saying, which is mainly that they don't like immigrants, and they'd rather live in communities more like the ones they grew up in rather than having their culture suddenly change on them."

The Establishment prefer to focus on economic causes because the other factors are uncomfortable for them. It's not fear of change as such but that the change is too fast and more importantly, that it is initiated by a self-elected group of self-important people.

Progressives (self-called) believe that only they understand the world and can make appropriate decisions. Democracy is viewed as a nuisance.

Most people aren't racist, homophobic or any other generalised insult. They understand that Muslims, immigrants or the LBGT community are like them. Some good and some bad and not really identified by label. But they themselves are being labelled by the progressives as bad. The fact that the 'progressives' tend to have more money is a fact, but less relevant than the fact that they look down on the 'masses', preferring instead to concentrate on their pet causes. Transgender bathrooms looming larger in their world than serious problems.

That's why Guardian journalists exhibit surprise when confronted with the generosity, both financial and in spirt of these racists sometimes.

I worry about this split, and the blindness of the Establishment. "I know best, my views are clearly right, and you others are worthless compared to my pet causes," are not recipes for pulling together.

So the response at the ballot box is becoming "So fuck you too."

• Options

On the reality, the only benefit that isn't normally available immediately is unemployment benefit, so your explanation would work if there were a lot of people showing up in the UK then claiming unemployment benefit for a long time. But there aren't.

What has immediate availability got to do with it. If the country is growing by 300k or so people each year, and education and health provision is not growing in a commensurate way (and I don't believe they are) there is going to be a problem. Voters are going to say that those new people are "taking their place" in those services, a place which they will say with some justification they have paid for over many years of taxation. If the system was by contribution there would be no argument or suggestion that people were in effect freeloading.

I believe the other big issue is in-work benefits, which completely dwarf unemployment benefits, and can easily top up income of a 16hr a week minimum wage earner by £8-10k per annum. Once more, voters are going to see people that have not put anything into the system so far getting substantial amounts out of it. They will see their son sitting on the dole (yes, he probably is a shiftless layabout, but they wont see it that way), and the government paying substantial chunks of "their" taxes to someone that has just arrived in the country to do those jobs.
  • Options
    The evidence that globalisation has been bad for the British public is skimpy. @edmundintokyo's point about who voted for the populists in Britain is unanswerable: the working public aren't in general the ones being tempted by the easy answers of UKIP and Brexit.

I do, however, disagree with his diagnosis. The unprecedented (in recent memory) event of the last few years is austerity. Older people don't particularly compete with immigrants for jobs but they are main beneficiaries of public services, for which in any case expectations are being continually raised. If they perceive a threat to those services from competition from immigrants, they will vote accordingly. The groups most likely to vote for Brexit - the old, the poor, the uneducated and the obese - all fall in the category of disproportionate public services users.

Since immigrants are a net good to the British economy, most of them are voting in a way damaging to their own interests, since immigrants are helping to fund those services. So the good news is that a clear communicator espousing a mainstream economic viewpoint should be able - if the effort is made - in a few years get Britain back on the right track. So far the effort hasn't been made.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    CD13 said:

Mr Intokyo,

"we should instead listen to what these people are actually saying, which is mainly that they don't like immigrants, and they'd rather live in communities more like the ones they grew up in rather than having their culture suddenly change on them."

The Establishment prefer to focus on economic causes because the other factors are uncomfortable for them. It's not fear of change as such but that the change is too fast and more importantly, that it is initiated by a self-elected group of self-important people.

Progressives (self-called) believe that only they understand the world and can make appropriate decisions. Democracy is viewed as a nuisance.

Most people aren't racist, homophobic or any other generalised insult. They understand that Muslims, immigrants or the LBGT community are like them. Some good and some bad and not really identified by label. But they themselves are being labelled by the progressives as bad. The fact that the 'progressives' tend to have more money is a fact, but less relevant than the fact that they look down on the 'masses', preferring instead to concentrate on their pet causes. Transgender bathrooms looming larger in their world than serious problems.

That's why Guardian journalists exhibit surprise when confronted with the generosity, both financial and in spirt of these racists sometimes.

I worry about this split, and the blindness of the Establishment. "I know best, my views are clearly right, and you others are worthless compared to my pet causes," are not recipes for pulling together.

So the response at the ballot box is becoming "So fuck you too."

When have Guardian journalists been surprised by the generosity of racists?
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Since immigrants are a net good to the British economy, most of them are voting in a way damaging to their own interests, since immigrants are helping to fund those services. So the good news is that a clear communicator espousing a mainstream economic viewpoint should be able - if the effort is made - in a few years get Britain back on the right track. So far the effort hasn't been made.

This was the strategy of the remain campaign, telling the voters that they were wrong in the hopes they would put the cross in the right box, it wasn't an unalloyed success.

In any case I think your posting is supposition. I would counter that the elderly and poor are equally as likely to vote for leave on the basis that the communities they grew up in (and in many cases still live in - the poor largely do not move away from their home towns to find work in the way the well educated do) no longer feels comfortable to them, and they are hoping (possibly in vain) that a leave vote will slow the rate of immigration to a rate that is comfortable, and in which new comers get time to integrate rather than ghettoise. Feelings of social dislocation probably trump minor economic issues. Well educated people moving to new towns to find work will largely accept all the differences that come from being in a new place. People that still live in their home towns, the elderly and the poor are probably much less receptive.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited December 2016

This week. The article implied that many members of the public were generous towards a variety of good causes despite being in the demographic that tended to vote for Ukip (hence they are racist). So that was bad news for Ukip!
  • Options
    edited December 2016

And you would achieve that how, exactly? To take a concrete example, say in Leicester?
    You can't. That's why everyone's pretending it's about economic factors: The right and the left already have something in the manifesto about economic factors, so they don't need to change it too much when they do the ones for 2020. This is what "listening" means in politics: You work out a justification for unhappy people to be unhappy that can be addressed by rephrasing your existing policies.

That said, one thing that's been floated has been regionalizing immigration policy. If you look at the voting patterns right now (both UKIP consitutencies and counties swinging to Trump) you find that the big factor is towns that used to have basically no immigrants, and now have a non-trivial number. If you restricted people living and working in those places the economic impact wouldn't be very severe, and as an immigrant a policy equivalent to "your visa forbids you from moving to Clacton" would be a lot less constraining than some of the things immigrants actually put up with like "your visa is tied to your current employer, and if you fall out with them then you're SOL".
  • Options
    CD13 said:

This week. The article implied that many members of the public were generous towards a variety of good causes despite being in the demographic that tended to vote for Ukip (hence they are racist). So that was bad news for Ukip!

Leaving aside the nutjobs, the facet that would seem to unite WWC Kippers and Tory Colonels, and frankly the Hannan tendency, is they place great importance on community and institutions, and they are probably the first and most likely to strongly react against disruption and dislocation of their community. These are also exactly the sort of people you are mostly likely to find supporting local charities, community activities, being pillars of their local church, and so forth.

Hannan is completely clear that the reason he wants to leave the EU is because he believes strongly that the British people, through the institutions of the United Kingdom should be in control of their countries borders, finances and laws. He doesnt say immigration should be more, or less, he says that whatever it is should be decided up by the institutions of the UK.

Its not about race, its about community.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

And are [1] and [2] in your seventh paragraph relics of Wikipedia*, as they don't appear to refer to anything ?

*One of the forces for good in this world, and my charity of choice this Christmas.

No they're bloody not. They were reminders to myself to add links at that point (which as you noted, I then forgot to do). I've amended it now.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

This was the strategy of the remain campaign, telling the voters that they were wrong in the hopes they would put the cross in the right box, it wasn't an unalloyed success.

In any case I think your posting is supposition. I would counter that the elderly and poor are equally as likely to vote for leave on the basis that the communities they grew up in (and in many cases still live in - the poor largely do not move away from their home towns to find work in the way the well educated do) no longer feels comfortable to them, and they are hoping (possibly in vain) that a leave vote will slow the rate of immigration to a rate that is comfortable, and in which new comers get time to integrate rather than ghettoise. Feelings of social dislocation probably trump minor economic issues. Well educated people moving to new towns to find work will largely accept all the differences that come from being in a new place. People that still live in their home towns, the elderly and the poor are probably much less receptive.
    The age divide in the Brexit vote was between those aged 43 and above, and those below, rather than between the elderly and the rest.

There was a class and education divide, but much less stark than some people think. 42% of graduates and 43% of middle class voters supported Leave. Current students massively supported Remain, as did university workers, but graduates in general were more divided.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Do you have a link?
  • Options

You can't. That's why everyone's pretending it's about economic factors: The right and the left already have something in the manifesto about economic factors, so they don't need to change it too much when they do the ones for 2020. This is what "listening" means in politics: You work out a justification for unhappy people to be unhappy that can be addressed by rephrasing your existing policies.

That said, one thing that's been floated has been regionalizing immigration policy. If you look at the voting patterns right now (both UKIP consitutencies and counties swinging to Trump) you find that the big factor is towns that used to have basically no immigrants, and now have a non-trivial number. If you restricted people living and working in those places the economic impact wouldn't be very severe, and as an immigrant a policy equivalent to "your visa forbids you from moving to Clacton" would be a lot less constraining than some of the things immigrants actually put up with like "your visa is tied to your current employer, and if you fall out with them then you're SOL".
    Pass laws then. That's the answer.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

That's only partly true. Certainly, in most industrialising countries, the mainstream introduced social reform very early on, recognising the necessity of having the workers share the proceeds of growth. Britain's Factory Acts are as good an example as any. Some of the elite no doubt did so because they saw a genuine opportunity to improve the lot of the poor as a good thing in its own right but others believed in the policy as a demonstration that the existing social settlement worked and hence as a means of minimising support for radical groups. In very broad terms, those arguments held sway and drove policy through to well after WWII.

However, it broke down before the collapse of Communism in the East (although arguably, after the end of the dynamic era of communism). Inequality in the US was at its lowest in 1978 - before Reagan came to power. In Britain, it was Thatcher's government which reversed the trend, starting at a time when Brezhnev was in the Kremlin.

But ironically, the biggest driver of the process has been the nominally communist country of China, exploiting the possibilities that globalisation could bring it once it switched to a much more consumer- and market-driven economy.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The age divide in the Brexit vote was between those aged 43 and above, and those below, rather than between the elderly and the rest.

43+ was the point where Leave outnumbered Remain, but it keeps skewing elderly all the way up: Leave led by 12% in 45-55, and 20% in 65+.

http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/15372/production/_90089868_eu_ref_uk_regions_leave_remain_gra624_by_age.png
  • Options
    edited December 2016

The political problem with regionalizing immigration is that the people who are the most strongly opposed to immigrants also tend to believe (mistakenly IMHO) that undesirable things are kept out by *physical borders*, so they wouldn't believe it would work. Maybe it would sell if you promised to build a wall around Clacton as well.
  • Options
    Mr. Tokyo, keeping people out isn't the only concern, it's deporting them if they get in.

All a chap from most of the Arab world need do is claim he's gay or an apostate, and he won't be sent back on human rights grounds. Likewise a murderer from Somalia (too dangerous there for him, and danger to him trumps danger to the UK). Political dissidents from the rest of the world likewise.

I do think, as Mr. Tyndall I believe said, that we should look at changing our approach to welfare, but there would be such wailing and gnashing of teeth, not to mention electoral backlash, it'd have to be done salami-style.
  • Options

On topic, David Herdson is repeating the standard media narrative: Globalization reducing real household incomes, and this causing people to vote for right-wing populists.

The problem with this narrative is that the main base of all these parties is retired people. Their incomes aren't doing too badly, and they benefit economically from globalization: People working and making stuff for them are cheaper, there are more taxpayers funding their government pensions, and if the assets they own (either directly or through pension funds) are worth more with more consumers. And nearly all the parties they're voting for advocate fewer regulations on businesses and lower taxes for rich people. I know it's sometimes possible to bury policies your voters don't like under ones that they do, but if you buy the economic dislocation argument the scale of the mismatch here is ridiculous.

If I'd only been talking about the right-wing populists, there'd be something of a point there but I wasn't; this isn't just a 'radical right / the rest' issue. I name-checked Tsipras and Sanders in the piece and could reasonably have added Corbyn to the mix too; they're all examples of the same phenomenon. Yes, there are cultural and political reasons that push people to the radical or populist left rather than -right, but I'd argue that the underlying reasons pushing people out of the mainstream in the first place are essentially economic.
  • Options

The political problem with regionalizing immigration is that the people who are the most strongly opposed to immigrants also tend to believe (mistakenly IMHO) that undesirable things are kept out by *physical borders*, so they wouldn't believe it would work. Maybe it would sell if you promised to build a wall around Clacton as well.
    Which way would the wall around Clacton be facing?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    What’s happened to the Quote button? I’ve been attacked by Life recently; when I can settle down to PB it’s vanished!
  • Options

All good conservatives have an element of inner socialist because at its heart, conservatism is a social rather than an economic movement (which is why it can be so flexible in its policy). If I had to reduce it's objectives to less than 10 words, it would be "to minimise the risk of severe social disruption" - because without a relatively stable society, the opportunities for other advancement rapidly diminish. Making sure that as many component parts of the country are bought into its future on the same broad prospectus therefore becomes a core (arguably, *the* core) objective. And as such, while the free market tends to deliver the best results in term of innovation and delivery of what people want as consumers, some regulation - sometimes a lot of regulation - is needed to ensure that markets don't also deliver unacceptable side-effects.
  • Options

If I'd only been talking about the right-wing populists, there'd be something of a point there but I wasn't; this isn't just a 'radical right / the rest' issue. I name-checked Tsipras and Sanders in the piece and could reasonably have added Corbyn to the mix too; they're all examples of the same phenomenon. Yes, there are cultural and political reasons that push people to the radical or populist left rather than -right, but I'd argue that the underlying reasons pushing people out of the mainstream in the first place are essentially economic.

Connecting these two very different things is a media narrative tic; You have to appear balanced, so if you want to make an argument, it helps if you can make the same argument about Both Sides. But they're different phenomena, with different causes.

If you have to find something to connect the two - not to mention the three very different left-wing politicians you mention in wildly differing economic environments - it's better to look at the *political* environment: The decline of broadcast media and the growth of social means there are much better tools for non-mainstream movements to get their message across, and it's now much easier to push a feisty message than a moderate one.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

What’s happened to the Quote button? I’ve been attacked by Life recently; when I can settle down to PB it’s vanished!

Go here:

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussions
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242
    edited December 2016
    "Since immigrants are a net good to the British economy, most of them are voting in a way damaging to their own interests, since immigrants are helping to fund those services. So the good news is that a clear communicator espousing a mainstream economic viewpoint should be able - if the effort is made - in a few years get Britain back on the right track. So far the effort hasn't been made."

Ha

The Chinese gent next to me where I work is a net benefit to the economy - salary not far off six figures, PAYE etc etc.

Pretending that all immigrants fall into that category is exactly why populism is happening.

The lying needs to stop. The idea that "there is no alternative" and that "you can't control immigration at all" etc are campaigning slogans to make people vote..... populist.

Among other things, there is too much awareness that many countries are not offering free movement and free markets, yet seem to be demanding them.

"Must is not a word to be used to princes!" - as the lady said... and you spent 200 years telling the people that they are sovereign.

• Options

Towards Frinton one way and Jaywick the other. Mr Toms, hat-tip, and compliments of the season!
  • Options

Pretending that all immigrants fall into that category

Maybe worth rereading Antifrank's post.
  • Options

Both. Everybody wins.
  • Options

Both. Everybody wins.
    Mr Facing-Both-Ways? I don’t think that describes Clacton!
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

The evidence that globalisation has been bad for the British public is skimpy. @edmundintokyo's point about who voted for the populists in Britain is unanswerable: the working public aren't in general the ones being tempted by the easy answers of UKIP and Brexit.

I do, however, disagree with his diagnosis. The unprecedented (in recent memory) event of the last few years is austerity. Older people don't particularly compete with immigrants for jobs but they are main beneficiaries of public services, for which in any case expectations are being continually raised. If they perceive a threat to those services from competition from immigrants, they will vote accordingly. The groups most likely to vote for Brexit - the old, the poor, the uneducated and the obese - all fall in the category of disproportionate public services users.

That doesn't follow, because it is very possible - indeed rather likely - that immigrants are putting money in to the social services you refer to but taking out (by using those services) more than enough to outweigh the monetary input.

I am opposed in principle to the concept of having to "check your privilege" before pronouncing on anything, but I am guessing that you do not live in council housing, and that you either pay for health care and education, or could afford to do so if you thought the nhs and state schools were letting you down. The people you are referring to have no choice but to use public services, so are better judges than you or I as to whether they are net winners or losers from immigration.
  • Options

All good conservatives have an element of inner socialist because at its heart, conservatism is a social rather than an economic movement (which is why it can be so flexible in its policy). If I had to reduce it's objectives to less than 10 words, it would be "to minimise the risk of severe social disruption" - because without a relatively stable society, the opportunities for other advancement rapidly diminish. Making sure that as many component parts of the country are bought into its future on the same broad prospectus therefore becomes a core (arguably, *the* core) objective. And as such, while the free market tends to deliver the best results in term of innovation and delivery of what people want as consumers, some regulation - sometimes a lot of regulation - is needed to ensure that markets don't also deliver unacceptable side-effects.
    That's a bloody good definition, David.
  • Options
    Morning all.

Fascinating and well written thread Mr Herdson, many thanks. - It would appear we’ve learnt very little since the time Louis XVI lost his head.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

That's a bloody good definition, David.
    People forget that Thatcher was a Gladstonian Liberal not a Conservative.

I would add to David's definition the moral obligation of those who do well to put something back - but on a personal level, not just relying on the state to enforce contributions
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    Ishmael_Z said:

That doesn't follow, because it is very possible - indeed rather likely - that immigrants are putting money in to the social services you refer to but taking out (by using those services) more than enough to outweigh the monetary input.

I am opposed in principle to the concept of having to "check your privilege" before pronouncing on anything, but I am guessing that you do not live in council housing, and that you either pay for health care and education, or could afford to do so if you thought the nhs and state schools were letting you down. The people you are referring to have no choice but to use public services, so are better judges than you or I as to whether they are net winners or losers from immigration.
    When people are totting up the net contributions to the economy from immigration, do they deduct the money we now spend preventing terrorist attacks from people that would never be here if it were not for mass immigration.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Thanks for another of many balanced and thought provoking posts.

In a year that has seen many exposed by their bias and assumptions about those who disagree with them, David H continues to write posts that I'll read from start to finish.

Merry Christmas to one and all of PB!
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Jeremy the Successful one is on form

"Think about it.

When there’s a coup, the first thing the wannabe leader tries to do is take control of the nation’s television and radio stations.

Having the ability to broadcast his message to everyone is more important than having control of the country’s army or air force.

That’s what is happening here.

The Government, quietly, while you are drunk in front of the television, is staging a coup.

It is taking control of the papers so it can effectively control what’s written in them."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2470944/help-fight-the-governments-plan-to-silence-the-free-press-and-save-your-own-freedom/
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

That was partly my case, but I think it is seen by many voters as a "fairness" issue. They will argue that they have paid their taxes so that their family and friends can avail themselves of the services the country provides, and that their neighbours do likewise. They then see waiting times for their doctors going up, availability of dentists going down, and problems getting their children into the schools they want, at the same time as they see people who have recently arrived in the country, and haven't made the payments they have, getting treated in front of them, and getting their kids into school on par with them, if not ahead of them. People get similarly pissed off with indigenous people that appear to have been sitting on the dole all their life and are conspicuously not lifting a finger to get a job. Both cases feel like taking the piss. Conversely the amount of resentment most voters would feel against that nice Chinese couple that run the local takeout and conspicuously having been contributors to the system for years is approximately zero.
    I think your point about the perception of fairness is a good one.

Much kudos to Mr herdson for a typically thoughtful, erudite piece. I cannot say I come out of it with solutions, but it does make me try to think of ones, which is a change of pace from the standard work we ask for and consume from the pundits of thus world, which is to tell us what they think and that's it.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Thanks for another of many balanced and thought provoking posts.

In a year that has seen many exposed by their bias and assumptions about those who disagree with them, David H continues to write posts that I'll read from start to finish.

Merry Christmas to one and all of PB!

Well bloody said - I lurked for ages years ago and never knew @david_herdson was a Tory - his Saturday threads are something I always look forward to.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    edited December 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Jeremy the Successful one is on form

"Think about it.

When there’s a coup, the first thing the wannabe leader tries to do is take control of the nation’s television and radio stations.

Having the ability to broadcast his message to everyone is more important than having control of the country’s army or air force.

That’s what is happening here.

The Government, quietly, while you are drunk in front of the television, is staging a coup.

It is taking control of the papers so it can effectively control what’s written in them."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2470944/help-fight-the-governments-plan-to-silence-the-free-press-and-save-your-own-freedom/

It's a suitably angry piece, and it does make me angry, though I feel it takes rather too long to mention what the government is intending to do, given most people do not make it all the way through an article.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Immigrants are overwhelmingly relatively young. Health services (and pensions) are overwhelmingly consumed by the old and the pressures on the system are coming from ageing. So it seems fairly clear that healthcare at least benefits from immigrants' economic bonus.

Immigrants are much better educated on average than the native-born. Their average income is higher also. Your "rather likely" notion looks implausible.

I'm glad you're opposed to the concept of having to check your privilege. I would hate to think that you were making a cheap point in a vain attempt to disbar me from expressing my arguments rather than address them.

As it happens, my other half and I have probably had a lifetime's worth out of the NHS this year and as a result I have very fresh impressions of how it is working. Without immigrants, it would grind to a halt.
  • Options
    Just want to wish everyone on PB a happy Christmas!

It has been a cracking year for political obsessives like me and PB has been the must-go-to site to keep up with the breathtaking speed of events.

Big thanks to the team who run things.
  • Options
    Gove on top form re Mr Herdson's piece with relation to culture

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/terrorism-thrives-on-our-lack-of-self-belief-zvk8x3tk2
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    "So what I'm asking for is some evidence for that second part ("social settlement on welfare and pensions is under demographic threat, partly...due to external migration"), unless you're also making @AlsoIndigo 's case that people *think* this is happening, so it would be helpful to pretend to do something about it."

Surely not an assertion which needs much in the way of evidence to support it? More claimants for cake = less cake per claimant, unless cake and claimants rise equally, or cake does better. It is not in doubt that there is net immigration, so that means more claimants. And there's Mrs Duffy, who looked to me an honest and level-headed woman.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,202
    Just rewatching the first episode of Power Monkeys. Absolutely nailed it, all of it.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Immigrants are overwhelmingly relatively young. Health services (and pensions) are overwhelmingly consumed by the old and the pressures on the system are coming from ageing. So it seems fairly clear that healthcare at least benefits from immigrants' economic bonus.

Immigrants are much better educated on average than the native-born. Their average income is higher also. Your "rather likely" notion looks implausible.

I'm glad you're opposed to the concept of having to check your privilege. I would hate to think that you were making a cheap point in a vain attempt to disbar me from expressing my arguments rather than address them.

As it happens, my other half and I have probably had a lifetime's worth out of the NHS this year and as a result I have very fresh impressions of how it is working. Without immigrants, it would grind to a halt.
    So if uncontrolled immigration is so good for the economy why has the decade of uncontrolled immigrated seen stagnant GDP per capita, over a trillion pound increase in government debt and rising inequality ?

As to the NHS it managed to function well enough before uncontrolled immigration - are you saying without uncontrolled immigration it would grind to a halt ?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

Mr. Tokyo, keeping people out isn't the only concern, it's deporting them if they get in.

All a chap from most of the Arab world need do is claim he's gay or an apostate, and he won't be sent back on human rights grounds. Likewise a murderer from Somalia (too dangerous there for him, and danger to him trumps danger to the UK). Political dissidents from the rest of the world likewise.

I do think, as Mr. Tyndall I believe said, that we should look at changing our approach to welfare, but there would be such wailing and gnashing of teeth, not to mention electoral backlash, it'd have to be done salami-style.

There are Albanians in the UK today working illegally in car washes and the like.

We could do something about it today. But we haven't.
  • Options
    FTSE100

23/06/16 6338
    23/12/16 7068

A nice little Christmas present from Brexit.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

"So what I'm asking for is some evidence for that second part ("social settlement on welfare and pensions is under demographic threat, partly...due to external migration"), unless you're also making @AlsoIndigo 's case that people *think* this is happening, so it would be helpful to pretend to do something about it."

Surely not an assertion which needs much in the way of evidence to support it? More claimants for cake = less cake per claimant, unless cake and claimants rise equally, or cake does better. It is not in doubt that there is net immigration, so that means more claimants. And there's Mrs Duffy, who looked to me an honest and level-headed woman.

On the basis that migrants are more likely to be in work and pay taxes and be less likely to claim benefits, increasing migration reduces the burden on the state and so increases the cake to claimant ratio.

It really isn't hard.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    An interview with Enoch from 1969 that has just been put on YouTube. 17mins in he explains why the higher the concentration of immigrants, the less likely they are to integrate. Why did anyone think it would be any different?

https://youtu.be/2sfovPxT3Fg
  • Options
    Mr. Bromptonaut, aren't rather a lot of benefits in-work, though?

Mr. 1000, indeed.
  • Options
    Guy Herbert
    Reminder of why I feel like an alien in my formerly free country > https://t.co/4yXwgUAhIq
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921
    Off-topic:

Just returned one of the 'killer chocolate santas' to our local Co-Op. They've apparently sold a fair few, and ours was the first returned.

If it was shaken, it rattled slightly. But now we will never know ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4061456/Co-op-recalls-165-000-chocolate-Santas-call-police-two-sabotaged-having-batteries-them.html
  • Options
    Mr. Isam, don't forget New Labour wanted to 'rub the right's face in' diversity.

That worked well.
  • Options
    Professor Frank McDonough
    24 December 1979. USSR invaded Afghanistan in a bid to stop the US backed insurgent group the Mujahideen, which included Osama Bin Laden. https://t.co/O1aKZpd1Ur
  • Options

Sounds good. Somebody should try it some time.
  • Options

Mr. Bromptonaut, aren't rather a lot of benefits in-work, though?

Mr. 1000, indeed.

And so?
  • Options
    Mr. Bromptonaut, so there's a lot of overlap between 'workers' and 'those on benefits'.

It'd also be interesting to look at public/private sector distribution.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027

All good conservatives have an element of inner socialist because at its heart, conservatism is a social rather than an economic movement (which is why it can be so flexible in its policy). If I had to reduce it's objectives to less than 10 words, it would be "to minimise the risk of severe social disruption" - because without a relatively stable society, the opportunities for other advancement rapidly diminish.

Would you agree that on that definition, leaving the EU is profoundly unconservative?
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Ishmael_Z said:

On the basis that migrants are more likely to be in work and pay taxes and be less likely to claim benefits, increasing migration reduces the burden on the state and so increases the cake to claimant ratio.

It really isn't hard.
    Do you have evidence for that assertion ? The bit about claiming less benefits especially.

To take an example from yesterday, 61% of Bangladeshi women are economically inactive, most of them have families, are we to believe they claim no benefits ?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

Ishmael_Z said:

So if uncontrolled immigration is so good for the economy why has the decade of uncontrolled immigrated seen stagnant GDP per capita, over a trillion pound increase in government debt and rising inequality ?

As to the NHS it managed to function well enough before uncontrolled immigration - are you saying without uncontrolled immigration it would grind to a halt ?
    LOL, he will come back with some more guff about how great immigration is , all these millionaires spout this kind of crap as it does not affect them, they don't need to worry who is skivvying for them.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

Ishmael_Z said:

It really isn't hard.
    If you live in fantasy land and imagine none of them are claiming benefits.
  • Options

All good conservatives have an element of inner socialist because at its heart, conservatism is a social rather than an economic movement (which is why it can be so flexible in its policy). If I had to reduce it's objectives to less than 10 words, it would be "to minimise the risk of severe social disruption" - because without a relatively stable society, the opportunities for other advancement rapidly diminish.

Would you agree that on that definition, leaving the EU is profoundly unconservative?
    Possibly it is. Since it's what the public wants, whether it is conservative or not seems rather beside the point.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    edited December 2016
    Great header from Mr Herdson and some fantastic contributions from all corners.

I agree with the main premise: stagnation in median wage is the primary driver behind the rise of populism.

This discontent manifests itself in complicated ways. Given the unprecedented volume of immigration since 1997, it is completely unsurprising that this issue should have become the main repository of discontent.

In turn, years of pent up mistrust of the EU (stoked by right wing media and politicians of all stripes), has curdled into a feeling that it is the unelected bureaucrats in Brussels who are responsible for the immigration.

A single vote was the only thing necessary to "take back control" (a stroke of genius by the Leave campaign).

Regardless of Brexit, there are no easy answers to the stagnation of wages in a globalising era. There are also real concerns by economists that the period of productivity growth since the Industrial Revolution is coming to an end. As @rcs1000 points out, Germany and Switzerland seem to be faring least worst through education policy. The UK has one of the lowest skilled workforces in the West.

Immigration is not going away either.
    Our demography means our population will shrink without it. We need immigrants to keep the economy going (and indeed, public services). There's a legitimate debate though about the scale of it, what it means for our welfare traditions, and the cultural impact.

We do need far sighted leaders right now who can look beyond the shibboleths and contortions of "right" and "left" to articulate the reality and propose solutions in terms we can rally around.

Simply banging on about the economic advantages of high immigration, or the EU itself, is insufficient. Likewise, waving the flag and pretending the UK can somehow stand alone from the modern world won't work either.
  • Options
    Talk about a lucky break - there's so much wrong with the investigation/tracking of the Berlin terrorist

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4061486/Berlin-Christmas-Market-massacre-Officer-shot-suspect-TRAINEE.html
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

It really isn't hard.
    Do you have evidence for that assertion ? The bit about claiming less benefits especially.

To take an example from yesterday, 61% of Bangladeshi women are economically inactive, most of them have families, are we to believe they claim no benefits ?
    http://ukandeu.ac.uk/fact-figures/how-many-eu-migrants-claim-benefits-in-the-uk/

6% of population
    2.2% of total claimants
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Ishmael_Z said:

It really isn't hard.
    If you accept this logic, why do you believe it is wrong for the government to screen immigrants in order to ensure only the most productive are granted access?
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

It really isn't hard.

http://ukandeu.ac.uk/fact-figures/how-many-eu-migrants-claim-benefits-in-the-uk/

6% of population
    2.2% of total claimants
    Which doesn't include Working Families Tax Credit because that is a HMRC benefit not a DWP benefit. Funny thing about quoting sources from pro-EU groups, always good at cherry picking data.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921

Short-term, yes.
    Medium-term, possibly.
    Long-term, no.

In the long-term the risks of social disruption from remaining in were probably greater than leaving. Firstly, people had grievances, real and imagined, and they were not being listened to. Secondly, the long-term future of the EU is uncertain.

The problem with this is that, for various reasons, the UK governments have not been acting on peoples' concerns, even when they had the competency without the EU. I fail to see why they should start once we leave the EU.

All that has happened is that we will have removed an excuse for not doing something: "We can't as we're in the EU". But that will be replaced with an even more nebulous: "We can't because of a, b od c deals".

However the 'revolution' of leaving the EU seems much more leftist that the 'evolution' of reforming. Leftist policy is based on big-bang reforms; rightist on conservative evolution. As a rather general generalisation, at least. ;)
  • Options

1) Correlation not causation. The rise in government debt sprang from a recession deeper than the 1930s and weak wages growth partly comes from that and partly from poor productivity, lack of investment in infrastructure, poor skills of the native-born population and an unlimited willingness on the part of soil disant deficit hawks to spunk huge sums of money instead on hobby horse projects like Brexit.

2) As you know, that was not what I wrote.

Something like 75% of the nurses on the ward my other half was on were immigrants (I saw only two white English nurses, one of whom had a Jewish surname, so if anything I'm understating the value of immigration to that ward). Perhaps you have every faith in the British state setting up a bureaucratic infrastructure that will allow for that flow to continue unimpeded at all times without affecting service standards at a time when NHS funding is being kept under lock tight restraint. Quaint.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

In turn, years of pent up mistrust of the EU (stoked by right wing media and politicians of all stripes), has curdled into a feeling that it is the unelected bureaucrats in Brussels who are responsible for the immigration.

A single vote was the only thing necessary to "take back control" (a stroke of genius by the Leave campaign).

So... now that we have thrown the EU away, what will the problems be blamed on next? Because the problems are still with us even if the EU is not. Who is next for scapegoating?

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    I really just popped in to say Merry Xmas to all at PB
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Professor Frank McDonough
    24 December 1979. USSR invaded Afghanistan in a bid to stop the US backed insurgent group the Mujahideen, which included Osama Bin Laden. https://t.co/O1aKZpd1Ur

I've never heard of Professor Frank McDoughnut before but he clearly likes putting the cart before the horse to suit his views.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Ishmael_Z said:

It really isn't hard.

6% of population
    2.2% of total claimants
    Which doesn't include Working Families Tax Credit because that is a HMRC benefit not a DWP benefit. Funny thing about quoting sources from pro-EU groups, always good at cherry picking data.
    I'd be interested in statistics on charitable giving - either unpaid volunteer time or financial. Is there any link to a political viewpoint? I've no view here as I was a Labour voter when I gave literally more - but that's due to more affluent personal circumstances - not my views on helping others when I can.

As a % of my income, I give more now and voted Tory in 2010/2015/Leave.
  • Options

Something like 75% of the nurses on the ward my other half was on were immigrants (I saw only two white English nurses, one of whom had a Jewish surname, so if anything I'm understating the value of immigration to that ward). Perhaps you have every faith in the British state setting up a bureaucratic infrastructure that will allow for that flow to continue unimpeded at all times without affecting service standards at a time when NHS funding is being kept under lock tight restraint. Quaint.

Would I be right in thinking that the majority of those immigrant staff were either Filipinos, Indians or Pakistanis ? All of whom currently require visa's to come and work in this country, a position which will not change regardless of what happens to freedom of movement. If a few more countries need to acquire visas it will be following the well worn paths already used by the above countries. This tired old suggestion of drawbridges being raised is just emotive bullshit, we currently permit skilled people to come and work from all over the world, is there any reason that should change ?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Ishmael_Z said:

It really isn't hard.

6% of population
    2.2% of total claimants
    I'd be interested in statistics on charitable giving - either unpaid volunteer time or financial. Is there any link to a political viewpoint? I've no view here as I was a Labour voter when I gave literally more - but that's due to more affluent personal circumstances - not my views on helping others when I can.

As a % of my income, I give more now and voted Tory in 2010/2015/Leave.
    I was being generous as well, Housing benefit isn't included either, because that is paid by local authorities. So the two biggest components of benefits paid are not included in the study cited, how convenient.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited December 2016

Ishmael_Z said:

It really isn't hard.
    If only? Frustrations here are caused because people see that the black market is alive and well.
    That they cherry pick what they want for example they use the NHS and education here but then fly back easy jet to get dentistry. Many here in this area have a permanent home abroad with dependants that the benefits keep going. My wife worked in a school where pupils couldn't speak English and neither did the parents. The school was expected to meet the curriculum while teaching English basics. Extra costs for English and translators resulted these costs met from other parts of the budget thus denying other children.

She saw and had to deal with all of this first hand for 10 years and then just finally gave up the tide was overwhelming. So irrespective of the romantic image you wish to paint it's just ain't so and you need to get into the real world and perhaps the front line.

Yeah I know Rayyyyyciisssttt!!
  • Options
    Mrs C, Mr. Borough, undsoweiter, Merry Christmas :)
This discussion has been closed.