Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A worrying Christmas present for TMay and the Brexiteers from

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited December 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A worrying Christmas present for TMay and the Brexiteers from Team Trump

Tomorrow’s Times front page

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited December 2016
    I am sick of this sexual assualting groping pervert trying to claim Brexit and his election is one of the same. Fuck trump and fuck anyone who voted for him. They make me sick.
  • Options
    So like pussy, Trump and his team are going to grab our trade, tres brilliant.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,403
    edited December 2016
    He's also telling the rest of the EU to grab that trade too.

Clearly this is an excuse for Mrs May to ensure the U.K remains within the single market and customs union.
  • Options
    nunu said:

I am sick of this sexual assualting groping pervert trying to claim Brexit and his election is one of the same. Fuck trump and fuck anyone who voted for him. They make me sick.

Farage and Trump are two cheeks of the same arse to us members of metropolitan liberal elite.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    Like I said in the previous thread, other countries would be utterly stupid not to try to attract businesses. They should be doing this all the time!
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    How helpful of the new US administration & the Times to provide us with a thread header combining our two perennial favourites Brexit & Mr Trump.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,925
    We have voted to sail our own route. No point complaining that the waters are swimming with sharks.
  • Options
    When did the Times become a tabloid? "Brexiteers"? Come on.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited December 2016
    I just wanted to check the basis of the Times article:

* Wilbur Ross is well known investor in financial services companies
    * He urged Cyprus to liberalize their financial services regime
    * He claimed this was in Cyprus's interest because they could win business from London

This is just bollocks. Wilbur Ross was advocating the same policies - designed to make him richer - for over a decade. He's just hooked it onto Brexit to make it seem more relevant.*

The Times seems to have learnt the wrong lesdons from the Grey Lady's "news theme fitting" scandal. It *wasn't* a good idea

* @RobD is not wrong although I think he's over thinking it on the occasion
  • Options
    @Pulpstar

The EU-Boat menace!!
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    May's greatest stupidity is not realising this: that you can't deal with Trump as if he were a mature and rounded human being of the kind that mature western democracies are intended to produce as leaders. He is more akin to the type of leader thrown up by broken African states, or the Roman empire, or by the theory of the divine right of kings. Point two: such people tend to have arbitrarily selected favourites. Point three: irrespective of your personal views of a favourite, what you do is get so far up his ass that you need crampons, in order to get to the Big Man himself. May's failure to appoint Farage as Envoy Extraordinary to the court of the Donald, with special responsibility for trolling the EU, is tantamount to folding a royal flush in a game of poker. It makes no difference that you think Trump is a wanker, and it makes no difference that you think Farage is a wanker, or that he wears prattish overcoats, or has never won an election; just as thinking, let alone saying, that Sejanus or Piers Gaveston or the Duke of Buckingham was a wanker never got anyone anywhere. With a bit of imagination May could have bought herself priceless access and, as a side dish, possibly transferred to her own party the Farage loyalist UKIP vote, instead of squandering the opportunity because some tory suits don't like the cut of Farage's jib.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Merry Xmas - this couldn't have waited, President Trump('s man)?
  • Options

When did the Times become a tabloid? "Brexiteers"? Come on.

1 November 2004. I wish all questions were as easy as that one.
  • Options
    @Ishmael_Z - The UK already has an ambassador in the US. Appointing Farage to such a role would massively undermine him. Saying that, May should just get it over and done with and ennoble him IMO, or perhaps that is the nuclear option if the Lords don't agree in A50?
  • Options
    RobD said:

@Ishmael_Z - The UK already has an ambassador in the US. Appointing Farage to such a role would massively undermine him. Saying that, May should just get it over and done with and ennoble him IMO, or perhaps that is the nuclear option if the Lords don't agree in A50?

That is why my suggestion was an Envoy Extraordinary post with limited, defined responsibilities. Where there's a will there's a way.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited December 2016
    Both Trump & Brexit are provincial reversions: as I see it Trump's game is isolationism and so is withdrawing from the EU.
    But, willy nilly (No spell checker! Not silly, billy or dilly.) modern digital technology is driving us together. The tension is exquisite.
    God's human experiment may be short lived.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

That is why my suggestion was an Envoy Extraordinary post with limited, defined responsibilities. Where there's a will there's a way.
    Wouldn't said responsibilities be those that the current ambassador is responsible for? What they should be doing is working with him informally.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Wouldn't said responsibilities be those that the current ambassador is responsible for? What they should be doing is working with him informally.
    If the current ambassador is any good at his job he should be urging exactly the same thing as I am urging.

And it would be a bit rich for the woman who put Davis and IDS where they are today to start claiming that she was unhappy with appointing people to high office if they were complete twats.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    An earlier snafu from the Telegraph, saved for posterity.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,922

An earlier snafu from the Telegraph, saved for posterity.

PB like TV at Christmas... full of repeats
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

If the current ambassador is any good at his job he should be urging exactly the same thing as I am urging.

And it would be a bit rich for the woman who put Davis and IDS where they are today to start claiming that she was unhappy with appointing people to high office if they were complete twats.
    If he was any good at his job he should be urging May to appoint someone else to do his job? :D
  • Options
    isam said:

They deleted the tweet later so it's for the benefit of those who missed it.
  • Options
    @williamglenn - the Telegraph has gone down the toilet in recent years, at least the online version.
  • Options

isam said:

They deleted the tweet later so it's for the benefit of those who missed it.
    I think he means it was posted on here earlier too.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

If he was any good at his job he should be urging May to appoint someone else to do his job? :D
    Going in circles here. I said, carefully defined and different job. Secondly, yes - if he thought that Farage would get massively more out of Trump than he himself would, he should advise what is best for the UK, not what is best for his own career.
  • Options
    Someone at The Times needs sacking. They think The Queen is Prince George's Grandmother.

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/813128242639077377
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Going in circles here. I said, carefully defined and different job. Secondly, yes - if he thought that Farage would get massively more out of Trump than he himself would, he should advise what is best for the UK, not what is best for his own career.
    Sorry, was teasing you a bit with that last reply. I think one of the reasons he isn't being appointed to any position is that it would use an enormous amount of May's political capital.
  • Options

Someone at The Times needs sacking. They think The Queen is Prince George's Grandmother.

twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/813128242639077377

They were only being polite about her age. ;)
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,605
    @TSE They'll be claiming that the Queen is Prince Harry's grandmother next...
  • Options

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/813128242639077377

Mary Beard's got her hands on a bit of old rug
  • Options

Cheeky ;)
  • Options

You're a very bad man.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,266
    Merry Christmas everyone. Been a really busy and fun day. Hope everyone been enjoying themselves.

There was a comment on here some months ago which said if the City needed protection it would not be the City and I think that was right. The City will face new challenges and competition but for a very long time it has been taking on such challenges and winning. I am not sure why it would not do that again.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    DavidL said:

Merry Christmas everyone. Been a really busy and fun day. Hope everyone been enjoying themselves.

There was a comment on here some months ago which said if the City needed protection it would not be the City and I think that was right. The City will face new challenges and competition but for a very long time it has been taking on such challenges and winning. I am not sure why it would not do that again.

British exceptionalism. How quaint.
  • Options
    RIP George Michael :(
  • Options

DavidL said:

Is it? I think the argument was that they can do it again because they have done it before, not because they are British.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

RIP George Michael :(

The grim reaper's haul for 2016 gets bigger.
  • Options
    America will do what's best for America shock.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Regardless of whether Brexit can be a success or not, the struggle some people have with understanding that other countries - whether openly adversarial or not - aren't on our 'side/team' is mystifying.
  • Options
    Grim Reaper didn't even take sodding Christmas day off !!!!!
  • Options
    That George Michael news is surely fake, isn't it?
  • Options
  • Options

Doesn't look like it:

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/813157601361985536
  • Options
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

Is it? I think the argument was that they can do it again because they have done it before, not because they are British.
    I though the argument was that they always get their way, so will be able to stop Brexit one way or another?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Doesn't look like it:

Not a very healthy profession, by all appearances.
  • Options
    FFS - that is horrible. RIP.
  • Options
    As a child of the 80s, Wham! and George Michael forever hold a special place in my heart.
  • Options

RobD said:

DavidL said:

I though the argument was that they always get their way, so will be able to stop Brexit one way or another?
    That's your hope, certainly.
  • Options
    The Times story is based on stuff said by Ross "days after the referendum", when a trump victory followed by a Ross appointment was a 10000 to 1 shot. The times obviously finds Christmas a slow news day.
  • Options
    What an appalling year this has been.
  • Options
    The other part of this Times story is that Boris is openly briefing against Mrs May, again.

Just imagine what a credible opposition could do with this.
  • Options
    The season of peace & goodwill .. and, of course heavy drinking.

I wondered what was worth reporting in the arrest of 4 men over a fight ... so I bothered to look, and it involved some 100 people.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-38430669
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

RobD said:

Doesn't look like it:

I really liked George Michael, v upsetting. For years I was sure he had AIDS though, men who keep nearly dying from pneumonia, esp if sexually active in the 80s gay scene must be contenders.

His bf died of AIDS in 1995 I think? The inspiration for much of 'Older'
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,266
    Very sad news about George Michael. A truly talented artist. I know the theory is that there are just more celebrities these days but this year is still remarkable.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2016
    RIP George Michael. Only 53.

His first appearance on Top of the Pops was shown just a few days ago on the BBC 4 repeats:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b086824r/top-of-the-pops-18111982
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    @SouthamObserver - and in colour too. :)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    isam said:

AnneJGP said:

RobD said:

Doesn't look like it:

I really liked George Michael, v upsetting. For years I was sure he had AIDS though, men who keep nearly dying from pneumonia, esp if sexually active in the 80s gay scene must be contenders.

George Michael was an immense talent, with a superb voice. He could have been the Sinatra of our times. Should have been. Sadly, he didn't seem very well equipped to deal with his demons.

Perhaps the saddest loss in a year of immense losses.
  • Options
    @tig86 - I was there. Behind the goal in the Paxton End. Spurs were 3-0 up after 20 minutes. Second goal from Mark Falco, no finer was ever scored at White Hart Lane.
  • Options

isam said:

AnneJGP said:

RobD said:

Doesn't look like it:

George Michael was an immense talent, with a superb voice. He could have been the Sinatra of our times. Should have been. Sadly, he didn't seem very well equipped to deal with his demons.

Perhaps the saddest loss in a year of immense losses.
    Pretty stunned. I saw him in concert in around 2007. Fantastic artist I loved him.

My best mate is his biggest fan, thinks he had 'a moment' with him at a Paris concert when their eyes met!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Club Tropicana and Young Guns were my favourites. Didn't like his later stuff much apart from Fastlove.
  • Options
    This year can't end soon enough.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,376
    On a happier note:

We were discussing the middle class obsessions with the "done" things the other day...

My mother-in-law - a wonderful lady - will only drink sweet wine. With anything.

There is, in the family, a person who is an awful wine snob/bore.

So, at Christma lunch - beef - I served by MiL with a rather rare vintage of Tokaji. The snob/bore was forced to watch. Unable to say anything, since he wanted some when desert came...

Somehow, I think it is very much in the Christmas spirit to torment a fool using generosity & kindness.
  • Options
    Wham bam I am a man. It was Norf London, it was the early 80s and we could do anything. Fuck me, the world has changed. So very, very sad.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Club Tropicana and Young Guns were my favourites. Didn't like his later stuff much apart from Fastlove.

The album 'Older' was great I thought, he was a true superstar. Really loved a lot of his work.

Actually one of my favs was a song he didn't write, 'I can't make you love me'
  • Options
    Careless Whisper is my favourite solo of hit of his. Last Christmas my favourite Wham! song.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

On a happier note:

We were discussing the middle class obsessions with the "done" things the other day...

My mother-in-law - a wonderful lady - will only drink sweet wine. With anything.

There is, in the family, a person who is an awful wine snob/bore.

So, at Christma lunch - beef - I served by MiL with a rather rare vintage of Tokaji. The snob/bore was forced to watch. Unable to say anything, since he wanted some when desert came...

Somehow, I think it is very much in the Christmas spirit to torment a fool using generosity & kindness.

Excellent fun. I had a decent Auslese Reisling to go with my pud today. I always have a half bottle in honour of my deceased Father in Law who genuinely loved his wine. Many a happy hour we would spend poring over the wine atlas, while the ladies rolled their eyes.

Today though, I was the designated driver to take grandma fox home after dinner, so just enough for a taste...

• Options
    edited December 2016
  • Options
    "Excellent fun. I had a decent Auslese Reisling to go with my pud today. I always have a half bottle in honour of my deceased Father in Law who genuinely loved his wine. Many a happy hour we would spend poring over the wine atlas, while the ladies rolled their eyes."

Perhaps the best part was that my mother-in-law has no knowledge of wine. There is a particular pleasure in giving someone a fine wine, who has no knowledge or interest in wine, but simply enjoys it... Just smiles, and asks for more. Give me that over the plaudits of the The Angry Men any day.

Many years ago I shared a bottle of ancient brandy with a Nepalese guide who, unlike the other fools on the trip, just enjoyed the taste. That was a very fine sunrise.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,415
    Hope all had a lovely Christmas. This is a non story really. What is more of a 'worry' is the degree to which Murdoch is gunning for Brexit. Tripe as this is, relentless headlines running our prospects down aren't good mood music.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,961
    DavidL said:

I have no doubt that - in the longer term - the City will flourish. But I think we are suffering from the psychological flaw of attributing our success solely to our ability, and not giving weight to a great big chunk of luck.

In 1985, European finance was multi-polar. British merchant banks served British savers and British business from London. The same was true of Paris and France, Stockholm and Sweden, Frankfurt and Germany.

Two things happened: one, the Eurobond market (and we were the guys to spoke English); two, everywhere deregulated, and our firms were much easier to snap up by the Americans as they were small.

Result, London became the European financial capital. It's all too easy to think there is something in our DNA that made us successful, rather than a lucky accident of history.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    "Result, London became the European financial capital. It's all too easy to think there is something in our DNA that made us successful, rather than a lucky accident of history."

True. And the German motor industry is busy trying to prove that "this too shall pass"...
  • Options

"Excellent fun. I had a decent Auslese Reisling to go with my pud today. I always have a half bottle in honour of my deceased Father in Law who genuinely loved his wine. Many a happy hour we would spend poring over the wine atlas, while the ladies rolled their eyes."

Perhaps the best part was that my mother-in-law has no knowledge of wine. There is a particular pleasure in giving someone a fine wine, who has no knowledge or interest in wine, but simply enjoys it... Just smiles, and asks for more. Give me that over the plaudits of the The Angry Men any day.

Many years ago I shared a bottle of ancient brandy with a Nepalese guide who, unlike the other fools on the trip, just enjoyed the taste. That was a very fine sunrise.

My father in law had a genuine love and appreciation of wine, but living on a tight pension he had to search out bargains. I liked to indulge him when he came to dinner. He was a gentle dreamer, with whom I never argued in 30 years.

• Options
    isam said:
    George Michael was quite vocal in support of the miners during the strike, including headlining at a benefit concert for families of strikers.
  • Options
    There's an enduring question about whether the marginal utility of success can stray into negative territory. Plenty of us lesser mortals secretly hope that it does, I think, as our mechanism to keep the green-eyed monster at bay.

From the sample of successful people I know in flesh and blood, there doesn't seem much evidence for the proposition. If money or recognition can't buy happiness directly, they at least give a strong base to pursue those things that do.

But the case of Andrew Ridgeley and George Michael has been one I've pondered in the past. Couldn't help but wonder whether Michael would have had a happier, fuller and more peaceful life if he'd entered the realm of obscurity by the turn of the 90s - by what little accounts we hear of him these days, Ridgeley seems to have had a good one - or whether feelings of frustration, rejection and failure would simply have fed his demons more.

I had a suspicion that George Michael would, once he'd got tired of touring, just settle down in a big house with a nice lad and have a quiet retirement, perhaps punctuated by the odd controversial outburst to keep things lively. Sadly not to be. And not an age either, the poor sod.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957
    Is anyone seriously surprised? Trump won by promising to put America First, Second and Third. He did not say he favoured any foreign nation over any other. An "Anglosphere" was an Hannanite fantasy. He is a Nationalist. He doesn't give a monkey's about any "special relationship" fantasies others may have.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

There's an enduring question about whether the marginal utility of success can stray into negative territory. Plenty of us lesser mortals secretly hope that it does, I think, as our mechanism to keep the green-eyed monster at bay.

From the sample of successful people I know in flesh and blood, there doesn't seem much evidence for the proposition. If money or recognition can't buy happiness directly, they at least give a strong base to pursue those things that do.

But the case of Andrew Ridgeley and George Michael has been one I've pondered in the past. Couldn't help but wonder whether Michael would have had a happier, fuller and more peaceful life if he'd entered the realm of obscurity by the turn of the 90s - by what little accounts we hear of him these days, Ridgeley seems to have had a good one - or whether feelings of frustration, rejection and failure would simply have fed his demons more.

I had a suspicion that George Michael would, once he'd got tired of touring, just settle down in a big house with a nice lad and have a quiet retirement, perhaps punctuated by the odd controversial outburst to keep things lively. Sadly not to be. And not an age either, the poor sod.

Andrew Ridgley seems to have his head screwed on right:

http://thephilosophersmail.com/hierarchy/why-andrew-ridgeley-is-the-winner-and-george-michael-the-loser/

I take a little interest as in 1983 I did rather look and dress like the less talented half of Wham!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    2016 sucks.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

2016 sucks.

Best year ever for Leicester City. No amount of Brexit can take that from me, though arguably Trump could with a nuclear apocalypse.
  • Options

Andrew Ridgley seems to have his head screwed on right:

http://thephilosophersmail.com/hierarchy/why-andrew-ridgeley-is-the-winner-and-george-michael-the-loser/

I take a little interest as in 1983 I did rather look and dress like the less talented half of Wham!
    Hmmmmmm

Andrew Ridgely couldn't sing, play an instrument or write. Wham! was George Michael solo with his best mate as a cool wingman as backup who gave him confidence. He even credited Ridgely as a writer on Careless Whisper even though he had nothing to do with it.

So, although I wanted to be Ridgely in 84, I don't think his withdrawal from poplife was entirely voluntary
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    @ WilliamGlenn "I though the argument was that they always get their way, so will be able to stop Brexit one way or another?"

Successfully adapting to reality is not the same as always getting your way. I know this is a hard concept for you, as you have not adapted to the reality of Brexit and have convinced yourself it will not happen so you will get your way.
  • Options
    So the 'May snubs queen' story was 4 months old and the 'Trump aide' story is 6 months old.......I'm sure the bottom of the barrel must be in reach by now......'President Wilson refuses to aid Britain against continental foes' can't be far off......

Very sad news about George Michael - although if he has been ill for a while he handled it with commendable discretion.

Also tragic news yesterday about (what was) the Red Army Choir - and jolly suspicious rush to rule out terrorism - tough old birds like the Tu-154 don't come apart in mid-air easily....
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    AnneJGP said:

RobD said:

Doesn't look like it:

Vera Lynn :relaxed:
  • Options
    FWIW (possibly not much) TMZ reporting George Michael died of 'heart failure' in his sleep but 'had not been ill'

http://www.tmz.com/2016/12/25/george-michael-dead-at-53/

From what I know of heart failure (lost a parent to a slow progressive illness) the two statements don't seem compatible....
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

FWIW (possibly not much) TMZ reporting George Michael died of 'heart failure' in his sleep but 'had not been ill'

From what I know of heart failure (lost a parent to a slow progressive illness) the two statements don't seem compatible....

Absolutely possible. My uncle dropped dead of a completely unsuspected heart condition at age 31. He was a Met policeman who appeared to be in perfect health and had chased a suspect the full length of the Mall the night before.
  • Options
    Morning all.

Very sad news regarding George Michael’s death, the grim reaper has certainly been working overtime in 2016. - I’ll break it to her gently, but her indoors will be gutted by this news.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Absolutely possible. My uncle dropped dead of a completely unsuspected heart condition at age 31. He was a Met policeman who appeared to be in perfect health and had chased a suspect the full length of the Mall the night before.
    I expect more will emerge in due course - ITN also saying his manager suspects he died of 'Heart Failure' - which may just be his lay term for 'heart stopping for as yet unknown reason' - as some remarked when Carrie Fisher took ill, years of substance abuse take their toll on the heart too.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited December 2016
    On topic, the weird thing about all the alt-right nationalists is how well they get on with each other, considering their entire platform is that they're being too nice to each other's countries and need to be more uncompromising in fucking each other over.

Anyhow the big picture here is that it's a really, really shitty time to be ripping up your existing trade deals and expecting to make new ones.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852

On topic, the weird thing about all the alt-right nationalists is how well they get on with each other, considering their entire platform is that they're being too nice to each other's countries and need to be more uncompromising in fucking each other over.

Anyhow the big picture here is that it's a really, really shitty time to be ripping up your existing trade deals and expecting to make new ones.

Remains to be seen what Trump does with those existing trade deals, NAFTA appears to be in line to get a good going over, I would not want to bet that US-EU won't come under similar scrutiny before too long.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995

Also tragic news yesterday about (what was) the Red Army Choir - and jolly suspicious rush to rule out terrorism - tough old birds like the Tu-154 don't come apart in mid-air easily....

Don't confuse an unsophisticated design that's manufactured poorly with being "tough".

The Tu-154 has an appalling safety record. They have a an accident involving fatalities about once every 1 million flight hours - roughly 20 times worse than Western types.

• Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Don't confuse an unsophisticated design that's manufactured poorly with being "tough".

The Tu-154 has an appalling safety record.
    How many ascribed to the aircraft & how many to pilot error/other factors?

The TU154 was a workhorse for the furthest corners of the Soviet Union to areas where airport facilities were poor. Its very strange for a relatively young (in terms of flying hours) disintegrate in mid-air shortly after take off.

Difficult for the Russians - which is more embarrassing - terrorism or technical failure of a Russian Airforce operated Russian designed and built plane.....
  • Options
    rpjs said:

My sympathies. I'm turning 31 next year, and that is not something I wanted to hear!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990

Dura_Ace said:

The TU154 was a workhorse for the furthest corners of the Soviet Union to areas where airport facilities were poor. Its very strange for a relatively young (in terms of flying hours) disintegrate in mid-air shortly after take off.

Difficult for the Russians - which is more embarrassing - terrorism or technical failure of a Russian Airforce operated Russian designed and built plane.....
    Anecdote alert:

Whilst discussing this after dinner yesterday. my brother said he'd flown on a Russian airliner (I'm unsure whether it was a TU-154) a few years earlier. It had been his worst ever flight: noisy, cramped, a rough ride, and his ears kept on popping. The door seals were rotten, and the plane had trouble keeping pressurised.

That is the level of maintenance we are talking about. Lack of money meaning lack of spares, things being used past their lifetimes, and a make-do-and-mend approach that would be admirable in fields other than aerospace.

Be very careful about the investigation: as the manufacturer and owner of the aircraft, and as the country who had the majority of the deaths, Russia will be in total charge of the investigation. As we saw with the ludicrous and sick 'investigation' into the MH17 shootdown, what we'll get - either way - is what they want the outside world to hear, rather than the truth.
  • Options
    @JosiasJessop - it wasn't a plane operated by the military? You would have thought those were in tip top condition.
  • Options
    RIP George Michael.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,651
    edited December 2016

Dura_Ace said:

Be very careful about the investigation: as the manufacturer and owner of the aircraft, and as the country who had the majority of the deaths, Russia will be in total charge of the investigation. As we saw with the ludicrous and sick 'investigation' into the MH17 shootdown, what we'll get - either way - is what they want the outside world to hear, rather than the truth.
    Exactly. Hence my suspicion at the immediate dismissal of terrorism. I flew on both the Il-62 and TU-154 - big solid planes which rather reminded me of DC-8s - 'built like a brick outhouse' - more concerned with aerodynamics than economics (for example, I'm convinced the 747-400s were noisier inside than their -200 predecessors, after one suspects the accountants came after the engineers to reduce weight) - and while the TU-154 has been involved in more accidents than its contemporaries, few have been ascribed to the aircraft.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Not so long ago, and particularly in artistic circles, any reference to pneumonia could be taken as code for HIV.
  • Options
    RobD said:

@JosiasJessop - it wasn't a plane operated by the military? You would have thought those were in tip top condition.

The same thing applies. The Russian military has massive money problems, and the little money they have is going on the 'sexy' things - renewing bombers, new ballistic missile submarines and missiles that 'promote' the country's power. The workhorses such as the TU-154 are little regarded.

Remember, they are trying to maintain much larger forces than ours, on not much more money. For instance, they have five times the number of active personnel, six times the number of submarines and over three times the number of aircraft. Whilst they get more bang for their buck, they don't get *that* much more.

In fact, such aircraft are often disregarded in many military forces. The people at the top of the forces are all serving officers who like the exciting weapons systems and not the mundane, whilst they should be remembering that logistics is the key to all armies.

ISTR the same thing happened in Iran during their sanctions: several military transport planes fell from the sky due to maintenance issues. It's one reason they're probably so keen to sign the deal for new Boeings.

http://www.globalfirepower.com/countries-comparison-detail.asp?form=form&country1=united-kingdom&country2=russia&Submit=COMPARE
This discussion has been closed.