Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why do so many Tory MPs have second jobs?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited July 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why do so many Tory MPs have second jobs?

Ed Miliband’s decision to clamp down on the number of Labour MPs who have second jobs caused some surprise the other week. Following the 2015 general election no Labour MP will be able to work more than the value of 15% of their salary. Miliband called on other parties to follow suit. The way this story was reported suggested that if this policy was a stealth attack on the Conservative Party.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited July 2013
    Just think of all that tax Con Mps are generating.

And cunningly dropped in Crosby too Henry - loyal stuff.
  • Options
    Fat_SteveFat_Steve Posts: 361
    Surely Conservative MPs would want to be pressing for new policies or legislation on issues that matter to them while their party is in office?

That is not the obvious duty of an MP. Ordinarily, the opposite would be preferable.
    A house of 600 members frantically pressing for new laws, with no outside interests to inform them and provide the capacity to plan for an independent career, would be disastrous.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Probably because MPs pay is crap.

Would you work the hours, carry the responsbility and be away from home as much as they have to be for £66k a year? Plus they are forced to live siuch puritan lifestyles by the media.

I can outdo that working from home most of the time and living like Keith Richards on the weekends, with hardly any responsibility at all.

I'd never, ever, ever be an MP (not that I would be accepted as one). I quite admire their willingness to forego decent money by dint of their desire to perform public service.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Would anybody in their right mind take all that B/shine for 64 k..I want them to be employable elsewhere, it gives ghem an insight into the problems faced by other industries..
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Times Diary

The Gasman Cometh

MPs should not have second jobs unless they are gas-fitters, says Jon Trickett, a Labour backbencher. While opposing part-time lawyers and MPs with directorships, Trickett says elected gas-fitters (not that there are any) should keep working to maintain their CORGI hours. “I ought to be a gas-fitter; I would be better off financially,” Sir Paul Beresford, an MP and occasional dentist, replied.

Since Miliband recently said he wants to ban MPs from having second jobs, why not start with his former Cabinet colleagues? Many of them have very lucrative side trades, such as Jack Straw, who earns £60,000 a year for doing 140 hours of consultancy work.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    Not really convinced by the new rule - I can see the popular appeal, but as Henry observes it doesn't force MPs to concentrate on the job, just forces them not to do anything very lucrative on the side. I think that MPs who work hard for their constituents are pretty obvious, and if someone wants to pay them £100K to give a speech because they're former PMs or whatever, fine - conversely, if they spend their days mostly lying around watching the racing but not earning anything, that isn't a particularly good thing.

The rule is a proxy for a difficult issue - how do we make sure that MPs do a good job, and indeed what exactly do we expect?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good morning, everyone.

"Conservative MPs profit four times as much as their Labour counterparts. Conservative MPs have personally benefitted from £4.3M of outside work"

The term 'benefited' makes it sound, well, like benefits. They work more and get paid for it.

It's also entirely irrational to claim MPs should be more down to earth and in touch with the real world, and then try and ban them (although Miliband has failed to do this with his own MPs, for all his bluster) from having second jobs.

In addition, why can an MP spare the time to be a minister as well as doing his duties as an MP but cannot possibly spare the time to do an outside job?
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 898
    Lawyers .......

"Just days after J K Rowling was outed as Robert Galbraith, author of the Cuckoo's Calling, the author revealed that a partner at Russells law firm was the cause of the disclosure by telling his wife's best friend who Galbraith really was."
  • Options
    This is a desperate diversion from EdM - it was precisely the *trick* that Gordon tried to pull when expenses were the bete noir - and nothing happened.

I'd be amazed if this is anything other than fluff and nonsense along with shouting CROSBY!!!

Voters don't care. It may be useful fodder for a phone-in but will it alter a single ballot paper. No.

I'd rather MPs stopped being social workers/councillors and did their job as legislators. If they can be a good MP [and that's up to their constituents no one else] and have other paid or unpaid interests that's fine by me. Jacob Rees-Mogg manages to be the MP for a SW seat, be a company dir and have a 95% voting record.

We need more experience of *real life* beyond the Westminster Bubble not less.

And when EdM is rubbishing MPs who make a packet outside the HoC - perhaps he should start with Gordon I've Been in HoC Three Times This Year Brown.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Icarus said:

Lawyers .......

"Just days after J K Rowling was outed as Robert Galbraith, author of the Cuckoo's Calling, the author revealed that a partner at Russells law firm was the cause of the disclosure by telling his wife's best friend who Galbraith really was."

What's most amusing is that for all the praise subsequently heaped on this pen-name book - it only sold 1500 copies before the lawyer accidentally let slip...
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    @Morris_Dancer

"Conservative MPs profit four times as much as their Labour counterparts. Conservative MPs have personally benefitted from £4.3M of outside work"

That also leads me to think that Tory MPs have more marketable professional skills in the commercial sector and are therefore paid more when they do outside work.

Perhaps if more Labour MPs were polyglots like @NickPalmer - they'd be coming up on the rails too.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

"Conservative MPs profit four times as much as their Labour counterparts."

4 times more willing to look for work?
    Work 4 times harder?
    Are 4 times as valuable as employees?
    Have 4 times as many marketable skills?

What's not to like?

Of course unions were famous for demarcation disputes, where tasks could only be undertaken by workers of a certain designation, so we shouldn't be surprised if so many Labour union MPs won't touch any other work...
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    - "Gordon Brown donates all of his £1.37M of outside earnings to charity which is preferable to financially profiting himself, but that’s still not fully satisfactory. He’s either an MP or he’s not."

Well, the evidence would tend to suggest that he spends less than 5% of his time on MP duties, which even hardcore SLabbers must raise an eyebrow at.

SLab would surely prefer to get another candidate in in Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath for 2015:

Result in 2010:
    Lab (Brown) 65%
    SNP 14%
    LD 9%
    Con 9%
    UKIP 2%
    oth 1%

Even the proverbial monkey with red rosette would be in with a shout, which is lucky as that is pretty much all that SLab have in the reserve pool.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Restricting what can be done as a second job by pay just opens the door to dodgy charities, trusts and personal companies with all their tax advoidance.

Better alternatives would be to restrict the hours rather than the pay of second jobs. Either by limiting it to 8-12 hours per week, or by restricting second jobs to those with an attendance record for votes of say 75% (with appropriate provisions for sickness). This would also take in those who are not paid formally but benefit from free lobbyist funded junkets.

I would also like to see MPs taxed on the same basis as other citizens. I would pay tax as a "benefit in kind" for many of the expenses that MPs claim. This needs to be one law for everyone.

Not really convinced by the new rule - I can see the popular appeal, but as Henry observes it doesn't force MPs to concentrate on the job, just forces them not to do anything very lucrative on the side. I think that MPs who work hard for their constituents are pretty obvious, and if someone wants to pay them £100K to give a speech because they're former PMs or whatever, fine - conversely, if they spend their days mostly lying around watching the racing but not earning anything, that isn't a particularly good thing.

The rule is a proxy for a difficult issue - how do we make sure that MPs do a good job, and indeed what exactly do we expect?

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    As Mr Manson seems to have all of the details perhaps he could provide further info on PB
    Which MP's have second jobs.
    what the jobs are and who with
    How much is earned.
    If any other poster had written the header as a post then links would have been requiued
  • Options
    Indeed, Miss Plato, but a new author often finds it difficult to get decent sales or publicity (or, it must be said, helpful quotes from big name authors).
  • Options
    edited July 2013

As Mr Manson seems to have all of the details perhaps he could provide further info on PB
    How much is earned.
    If any other poster had written the header as a post then links would have been requiued

Fair point. Surely such links are fairly easy to provide?

EDIT: Richard, the link is broken in Henry's article, but does this not satisfy your request?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2013/may/27/mps-jobs-interests-full-list-data
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    because the Labour MPs are unemployable ?
  • Options
    This website has details of every interest an MP has - here's Gordon's http://www.theyworkforyou.com/regmem/?p=10068

How much is earned.

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    I read the headline of the thread and wondered why OGH was concentrating on Tory MPs. Then I realised it was a Henry Manson column and understood that it was a Labour supporter.

So why concentrate on Tory MPs? Most Labour MPs have second incomes. It's called being Trade Union stooges, the organisations which pay for their election campaigns, pay for their constituency offices and in most cases ensure they get selected in the first place.

The biggest problem today with the House of Commons is that far too few MPs of all sorts are no more than overgrown PPE graduate interns who have never worked in the real world. If Bland the Younger proceeds with his crazy plan, do we only get union stooges, the unemployable and people with partners who earn vast amounts as Labour MPs?

Bland's wife Justine earns vast amounts, the Rt Hon Lady Hodge has a large shareholding in Stemcor her family company, Dame Tessa Jowell gave evidence that she didn't study the £300k+ mortgage documents her husband kept putting in front of her. Are these examples of the very many Labour MPs with independent family wealth going to be required to give that up? I don't think so. This is a nonsense attempt by Bland to disguise the fact that most Labour MPs have just as many outside interests as Tory ones. They are maybe not just so lucrative yet, but as Tony Blair, Lord Mandelson and the bloated embarrassment from Hull who used to be Deputy PM have proved, they set themselves up well during their parliamentary careers for their future ones outside politics.
  • Options

because the Labour MPs are unemployable ?

Yes, I am not sure "Tory MPs 4 times more employable than Labour MPs" is the spin Henry was hoping for, but the facts speak for themselves

• Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,809
    I think the intention of this is more insidious - it is trying to show that MPs are not employable elsewhere (and therefore don't need to be paid so much) by, err, not allowing them to prove that they are in fact , very employable.
  • Options
    CORGI morphed into Gas Safe some time ago
    Plato said:

Times Diary

The Gasman Cometh

MPs should not have second jobs unless they are gas-fitters, says Jon Trickett, a Labour backbencher. While opposing part-time lawyers and MPs with directorships, Trickett says elected gas-fitters (not that there are any) should keep working to maintain their CORGI hours. “I ought to be a gas-fitter; I would be better off financially,” Sir Paul Beresford, an MP and occasional dentist, replied.

Since Miliband recently said he wants to ban MPs from having second jobs, why not start with his former Cabinet colleagues? Many of them have very lucrative side trades, such as Jack Straw, who earns £60,000 a year for doing 140 hours of consultancy work.

• Options
    Icarus said:

Lawyers .......

I was pretty shocked by that. Surely the ability to keep your big fat mouth shut is one of the key personality traits you are looking for in a lawyer.

• Options
    edited July 2013

Indeed, Miss Plato, but a new author often finds it difficult to get decent sales or publicity (or, it must be said, helpful quotes from big name authors).

Ms Rowling could've written herself one :^ ) And I agree re new writers - apparently VS Naipaul had his pen name book rejected by a dozen publishers. But that's the trick isn't it - like films, terrible old potboilers still take in mega millions because of the names on the billboard.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    Partisan questions aside, though, what DO we define as the ideal MP? Assume they're not currently Ministers. The general feeling here led by Mike has been against the social work side of the job. Not sure I agree as it's what keeps them more in touch with real problems that a purely Westminster-focused MP, and e.g. hearing about someone's benefit problems helps understand the issue. But clearly the emphasis should be on Westminster - but doing what?

Researching the issues and coming up with alternative ideas is the obvious, but the system is absolutely not geared to that. You MAY be able to do it as a Select Committee member, on the narrow range of subjects currently being examined. But if you're member of Treasury and have a good idea on industrial policy, your options are (a) chat with the relevant (shadow) minister or (b) make a speech/ask questions in the Chamber. (a) can be surprisingly effective, but it's clearly unofficial. (b) is normally completely ineffective - there will be few people there and they're mostly waiting for you to shut up so they can get to say something.

What the system really needs is a better potential for MPs to introduce ideas for a discussion that fall short of a full-scale Bill needing masses of Parliamentary time. I used 10 Minute Rule Bills a lot for this, but it would be good to have a mechanism that e.g. if a majority of MPs voted for a 10MR proposal, it was referred for discussion to the relevant Select Committee. That would separate the trivial 10MR Bills from the ones with serious issues that most MPs thought worth considering.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    @Easterross

"If Bland the Younger proceeds with his crazy plan, do we only get union stooges, the unemployable and people with partners who earn vast amounts as Labour MPs?"

You mean paragons of intellect and virtue like Jim Devine passim?

I'm amazed he was bright enough to fiddle his own expenses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_flCtTmsXb4
  • Options
    Miss Plato, that would've been very naughty.

Mind you, some authors do actually do that sort of thing. (Writing their own reviews, for example).

I tweeted yesterday that it was ironic that the less an author needs publicity the easier it is for them get it (even when they don't want it).
  • Options
    Labour is the party of the state. They pretty much all have close to zero understanding of how business works. If you were a businessman which Labour MPs would you offer a job to? So for the lefties a second job will most of the time have to mean a public sector job – and those don’t really come as part-time or consultancy or directorships. So inevitably the lefties have fewer outside interests.

The Blues tend to be much more of the business world and to have skills or backgrounds of interest to companies. So inevitably they have a much higher share of MPs with outside interests.

Should MPs have outside interests? YES! The notion that we would be better served by spaddy wonky geeky politicos with no real world experience says all you need to know about the crushing naivete of many or most inside the lefty Westminster bubble.

Ministers by definition have another job apart from being a constituency MP. Should they stop being MPs? Should we have a formally separate executive and legislature? Clearly not. But maybe we should seek to limit the outside interests of ministers.

MPs generally? 90%+ are lobby fodder. They vote. That’s pretty much it. (Cue squeals of indignation from NPXMP). As long as they vote then who cares what else they do? And if the ‘else’ can improve the quality of their voting then so much the better.
  • Options
    "Following the 2015 general election no Labour MP will be able to work more than the value of 15% of their salary. "

Is this evidence that Milliband does not expect to form the next Govt and no Labour MP will draw a ministerial wage?
  • Options

The biggest problem today with the House of Commons is that far too few MPs of all sorts are no more than overgrown PPE graduate interns who have never worked in the real world.

It is not just the House of Commons Easterross. Have a look at the Labour group in the Scottish Parliament for example. In fact, I would not be surprised if you could see the same thing in most legislatures in the world: jam packed full of politics geeks who have hardly worked in a proper job, or whose proper job was merely a front for their political activity, eg trade union work.
  • Options
    Speaking of writing, I just found this link to some amusing excerpts:
    http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/2013win.html
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Miliband's measures would hit and possibly close those charities that Gordon Brown generously supports with his vast outside earnings ;

http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/28/gordon-brown-is-parliaments-highest-earning-mp-but-he-donates-it-all-to-charity-3810963/
  • Options

But if you're member of Treasury and have a good idea on industrial policy, your options are (a) chat with the relevant (shadow) minister or (b) make a speech/ask questions in the Chamber. (a) can be surprisingly effective, but it's clearly unofficial. (b) is normally completely ineffective - there will be few people there and they're mostly waiting for you to shut up so they can get to say something.

What the system really needs is a better potential for MPs to introduce ideas for a discussion that fall short of a full-scale Bill needing masses of Parliamentary time. I used 10 Minute Rule Bills a lot for this, but it would be good to have a mechanism that e.g. if a majority of MPs voted for a 10MR proposal, it was referred for discussion to the relevant Select Committee. That would separate the trivial 10MR Bills from the ones with serious issues that most MPs thought worth considering.

Lay person question - if MPs spent less time in their constituencies being social workers/councillors - they'd have more time to be in the House listening and cogitating on what is before them so we'd get better legislation?

And your 10MRB idea sounds like a very good one. I'd rather we had fewer, better laws myself - so if the HoC only needs to sit for half the year or less - fine by me. Texas seems to do pretty well and they're jolly hands off [yes yes I know its entirely different but...]
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited July 2013
  • Options
  • Options

Miss Plato, that would've been very naughty.

Mind you, some authors do actually do that sort of thing. (Writing their own reviews, for example).

I tweeted yesterday that it was ironic that the less an author needs publicity the easier it is for them get it (even when they don't want it).

There are heaps of examples of authors sock-puppeting their own reviews on Amazon et al - very amusing stuff provided they just puff their own and don't indulge in Johann Hari/'David Rose' rubbishing of their rivals.

I'm amazed by how many big name authors are serial plagiarists - there are several tweeters who've unmasked scandals and even had books pulped after exposing the culprits to their publishers.
  • Options
    It's a difficult one. Last time I checked, working in this country wasn't against the law, so why shouldn't MPs have a second job? On the other hand, it does throw up all sorts of question about conflict of interests and such like. Maybe the answer is to pay them more, but ensure they get treated as any other public sector worker.
    I'm flip-flopping over this a little, to be honest. I want full time, committed MPs, but don't want the ppe/neverhadaproperjob types we seem to be getting more of.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited July 2013
    Since Welsh and Scottish MPs have less work because the devolved issues are the responsibilities of the Assemblies, a better idea would be to cut their salaries e.g. by 30% to reflect that fact.
    Gordon Brown is a prime example of what few hours he judges is needed to represent his constituency. And what Labour supporter could argue with Gordon's judgement?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Old St. Vince of the Cable on a bit of a roll in recent weeks.

• Options
    I don't get why a writer would attack another and try to do them down [different from legitimate criticism or critiquing, of course].

Leaving aside the fact that it's immoral, it's also stupid. There isn't a finite number of readers, and readers usually buy more than one book ever. Plus, if one book in a given genre gets them into it, that makes them more likely to buy more books in that genre.
  • Options
    I also agree with many of the commentators below that it is unfair to highlight how unemployable the Labour MPs are.
  • Options
    @Patrick

"The notion that we would be better served by spaddy wonky geeky politicos with no real world experience says all you need to know about the crushing naivete of many or most inside the lefty Westminster bubble."

Just listen to some Select Committees and you'll want to cry. Even the Public Accounts Committee appears to have a tenuous grasp on the basics of employment law and remuneration.

When News Int were before the DCMS group - there was no understanding of compensation agreements, being paid in lieu of notice etc. It was the same with the BBC at PAC. Several MPs asked why someone who was paid in lieu of notice was allowed to get another job in the next 6 months/didn't have to pay it back. Whilst the HR Dir was a complete numpty at times - she clearly was having trouble that such a basic thing was beyond their comprehension. They were desperate to find something nefarious about what is a very common way of managing someone out.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,610

"Following the 2015 general election no Labour MP will be able to work more than the value of 15% of their salary. "

Is this evidence that Milliband does not expect to form the next Govt and no Labour MP will draw a ministerial wage?

Or that Ministers will be allowed to have higher second incomes than ordinary MPs.......
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    It's an easy one. If the voting public like their MP and don't mind him or her having a second job, who are people who are not answerable to that electorate to decide otherwise?

The problem with our current batch of MPs is not that they see too much of life outside Parliament: quite the reverse. If Ed Miliband had taken a few second jobs, he might be able to speak in a language that the general public can relate to.
  • Options

I don't get why a writer would attack another and try to do them down [different from legitimate criticism or critiquing, of course].

Leaving aside the fact that it's immoral, it's also stupid. There isn't a finite number of readers, and readers usually buy more than one book ever. Plus, if one book in a given genre gets them into it, that makes them more likely to buy more books in that genre.

Indeed - a rising tide floats all boats.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Partisan questions aside, though, what DO we define as the ideal MP? Assume they're not currently Ministers. The general feeling here led by Mike has been against the social work side of the job. Not sure I agree as it's what keeps them more in touch with real problems that a purely Westminster-focused MP, and e.g. hearing about someone's benefit problems helps understand the issue. But clearly the emphasis should be on Westminster - but doing what?

Researching the issues and coming up with alternative ideas is the obvious, but the system is absolutely not geared to that. You MAY be able to do it as a Select Committee member, on the narrow range of subjects currently being examined. But if you're member of Treasury and have a good idea on industrial policy, your options are (a) chat with the relevant (shadow) minister or (b) make a speech/ask questions in the Chamber. (a) can be surprisingly effective, but it's clearly unofficial. (b) is normally completely ineffective - there will be few people there and they're mostly waiting for you to shut up so they can get to say something.

Are MPs social workers, or are they law makers? Do they have both the time and more importantly the ability to be both?

From the current crop, they certainly don't have the law making under control, their understanding on matters of many things (the tax system for example) is worrying to say the least.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited July 2013
    The job of an MP is to scrutinise legislation and to hold the executive to account. The best way to ensure that an MP does not do his job, and fails to scrutinise legislation and hold the government to account, is to pay him to be a member of Her Majesty's Government. Will Miliband refuse to take his Prime Ministerial salary? Of course not. It follows that his proposals are inconsistent, irrational and ideological. As far as I understand, if implemented, it will result in Ed Miliband (as future Labour PM) doing the most moonlighting, being the most in the pocket of outside interests, and being the best remunerated of any Labour MP.
  • Options
    JackW said:

If its St Vince, why is Osborne announcing it?

• Options

Icarus said:

Lawyers .......

I was pretty shocked by that. Surely the ability to keep your big fat mouth shut is one of the key personality traits you are looking for in a lawyer.

*shuts big fat mouth*
  • Options
    tim said:

What are the chances that Lynton Crosby works for frackers?

Who?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Seems like Kevin Rudd is lurching to the right..

BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking 31m
    Boatpeople seeking asylum will no longer be resettled in Australia but will go to Papua New Guinea, PM Kevin Rudd says

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,854
    Fenster said:

Would you work the hours, carry the responsbility and be away from home as much as they have to be for £66k a year? Plus they are forced to live siuch puritan lifestyles by the media.

I can outdo that working from home most of the time and living like Keith Richards on the weekends, with hardly any responsibility at all.

I'd never, ever, ever be an MP (not that I would be accepted as one). I quite admire their willingness to forego decent money by dint of their desire to perform public service.

When they are not on their 20 odd weeks holidays they start late and spend most of their time in the free bars and restaurants. You ever seen a debate outside of PMQ's , it is like a graveyard in the chamber. If it went by hours productive working they will be amongst the highest rewarded in the country for the worst possible output. Unless you are on a different planet , at least 97% of the public earn a fraction of what MP's earn for being on holiday or troughing
  • Options
    Speaking of PAC and the BBC - I have to agree with Mr Barclay, that's exactly how it came across during the grilling of the HR Dir who signed these deals off.

"A BBC executive at the centre of the payoff scandal helped to arrange an inflated severance deal for a colleague before leaving with a golden handshake that broke the same rules. Mark Byford, the former deputy director-general, took part in talks over the departure of Pat Loughrey, who received £866,000. Two years later, Mr Byford negotiated an even higher payoff of £1.02 million.

In both cases, the payoffs breached BBC policy by including a full year’s salary in lieu of notice, even though the men had already been paid for most or all of their notice period.

Steve Barclay, a Tory member of the Commons Public Accounts Committee, criticised the deals yesterday, saying: “A clear picture is now emerging of managers inflating the sums paid to colleagues in the hope that they could pick up an even bigger payoff when they move on to well-paid jobs elsewhere.” http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/medianews/article3820221.ece

• Options

Perhaps working at the job we pay them to do for starters would help. As you say those that are not troughing or topping up their £100K+ are just skiving.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    @CarlottaVance

If Labour are going to bore the arse off the rest of us by making insinuations about Mr Crosby - I noticed a couple of things that rather stymied that last night.

1. He's going full-time with CCHQ from early next year so he won't have any other clients then.

2. Mr Crick has already been told of who he isn't acting for

Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick 12h

Firms who say we've NOT used Lynton Crosby: BAT, Imperial Tob, Japan Tob, Diageo, Tesco, Wm Hill, BAe, Serco, Atos, G4S, Centrica, Cuadrilla

and most tellingly:

Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick 17 Jul

John Howard: Crosby entitled to "whatever clients he wants.. This brouhaha indicates political enemies of Cons Party don't want him around"
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Is it just me but the terms fracking sounds as though it's obscene?

Is it the other word starting with F then a K sound finishing with ING but when the earth moves!

JackW said:

• Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    Are they really, honestly, going for Crosby?

They must really fear him.
  • Options

Is it the other word starting with F then a K sound finishing with ING but when the earth moves!

JackW said:

Better than frocking? Which is definitely more ecclesiastical sounding :^ )
  • Options

Since Welsh and Scottish MPs have less work because the devolved issues are the responsibilities of the Assemblies, a better idea would be to cut their salaries e.g. by 30% to reflect that fact.
    Gordon Brown is a prime example of what few hours he judges is needed to represent his constituency. And what Labour supporter could argue with Gordon's judgement?

Far better we get out of Westminster and save a lot lot more than 30% of MP's salaries , Westminster is full to overflowing with troughers and hangers on just bleeding us dry and wrecking the country in the process. MP's are grossly overpaid given their results.
  • Options

JackW said:

Falkirking ?

• Options
    @MikeSmithson What do you make of "finger-licking good" KFC?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,370

JackW said:

In the TV show Battlestar Galactica the word frack was an expletive equivalent to the word in our universe that rhymes with Duck.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    They use "frack" as an alternative to the Earth-standard swear word with identical initial and terminal letters in the science fiction serial Battlestar Galactica.

JackW said:

• Options
    On topic it's not surprising as a lot of Labour MPs are either SPADs or ex union officials.

Who on earth would want to employ people like that ?
  • Options
    Seeing lots of pictures of people sweating on TV. I can only assume they have all been lobbied by Lynton Crosby.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    I think all this talk of second jobs is misleading.

Until there is a job description for being an MP with minimum standards, there's is no way to judge if MPs are underpaid or not.

How do we know if Government ministers are doing their jobs as MPs?

I don't care if Gordon Brown gives away all his outside earnings, he shouldn't get paid for doing next-to-nothing as an MP. Furthermore, having a safe seat means there is no electoral discipline for him. I do note that most Government ministers come from safe seats and some resign in order to keep their marginal constituencies.
  • Options
    Fat_SteveFat_Steve Posts: 361
    Jack Straw is giving Gordon Brown a modest kicking
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/matthewholehouse/100227173/jack-straw-gordon-browned-misused-the-office-of-prime-minister/

On the visit to Iraq timed during the Tory conference in 2007
    "It showed both that he was paralysed in terms of decision making, but also this remarkable propensity for double-think and disingenuity which I’d not really understood was a characteristic of his until then.”

In 2007 he noticed this. Teensy bit slow on the uptake?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

@MikeSmithson What do you make of "finger-licking good" KFC?

Checks the time.

Pity it isn't the lagershed, I have an old KFC joke to share

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Far better we get out of Westminster and save a lot lot more than 30% of MP's salaries , Westminster is full to overflowing with troughers and hangers on just bleeding us dry and wrecking the country in the process. MP's are grossly overpaid given their results.
    Hate to disillusion you malc but the first thing Holyrood MSPs will do will be vote themselves a pay rise for all the extra responsibilities they have. Irish TDs earn 92K Euros.
  • Options
    As noted in the debate, Labours' grand plan excludes Partnerships, so MPs can still earn as much as they like as long as they structure the deals properly. May still rule out many on the Labour benches...
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited July 2013
    Believe that if you want. You are wrong

Labour is going at this issue, and the LDs should do too, because it looks as though Cameron has not acted in a proper manner.

Dave's bluster might have helped him not answer the question but his evasion suggests that he thinks that something is wrong.

It all helps create a "sleazy Tories" narrative that could come inro the open at any stage between now and May 2015

• Options
    edited July 2013

Labour is going at this issue, and the LDs should do too, because it looks as though Cameron has not acted in a proper manner.

Dave's bluster might have helped him not answer the question but his evasion suggests that he thinks that something is wrong.

It all helps create a "sleazy Tories" narrative that could come inro the open at ant stage between now and May 2015

@tnewtondunn
    YouGov poll for The Sun today: Only 11% of Brits say they know who Lynton Crosby is. So Crosby/tobacco is still just a bubble story.

@tnewtondunn
    ...12% say they have heard something about him. 61% say they've never even heard of him.
  • Options
    I finally caught up with PMQs.

Dave was very un Prime Ministerial at times.

But boy did the Tory MPs love it.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Seeing lots of pictures of people sweating on TV. I can only assume they have all been lobbied by Lynton Crosby.

Sweating and Crosby will decide the next election - you read it here first.

Fraser Nelson article on the dangers of the immigration ponzi scheme..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10188220/We-have-to-wean-the-country-off-the-drug-of-immigration.html
  • Options
    People don't necessarily have to know the name for this to be a problem. Jeremy Hunt's recognition numbers are pretty low too, but no-one would dispute that the NHS is an important issue.

On the other hand, one of the obvious reasons Labour are going hard on Crosby is because they are a bit confused on what else to say.
    Scott_P said:

It all helps create a "sleazy Tories" narrative that could come inro the open at ant stage between now and May 2015

@tnewtondunn
    YouGov poll for The Sun today: Only 11% of Brits say they know who Lynton Crosby is. So Crosby/tobacco is still just a bubble story.

@tnewtondunn
    ...12% say they have heard something about him. 61% say they've never even heard of him.
  • Options

You gov says 11% know who Lynton Crosby is - well those that told the truth anyway.

61% said never even heard the name.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    malcolmg said:

Fenster said:

When they are not on their 20 odd weeks holidays they start late and spend most of their time in the free bars and restaurants. You ever seen a debate outside of PMQ's , it is like a graveyard in the chamber. If it went by hours productive working they will be amongst the highest rewarded in the country for the worst possible output. Unless you are on a different planet , at least 97% of the public earn a fraction of what MP's earn for being on holiday or troughing
    Do you really believe this, I'm not an MPs cheerleader but they do far far more hours than a normal 9 to 5 job. They represent around 80,000 people, can you think of another job where you represent 80,000, any of whom can approach you at any time with the daftest of requests,work in the ludicrously expensive Central London. do regular 12 hour days 7 days a week, never ever be able to let your hair down in case the press catch you, and get only £66k p.a.. To me they are very underpaid, Wayne Rooney earns in two days what an MP earns in a year.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Hate to disillusion you malc but the first thing Holyrood MSPs will do will be vote themselves a pay rise for all the extra responsibilities they have. Irish TDs earn 92K Euros.
    Alan , at least we will not be paying for all the jumped up Lords and thousands of hangers on , even with excess they will be limited on how much they can spend compared to Westminster
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@tnewtondunn

@tnewtondunn
    And it won't change a single vote. Labour need to be focusing on that bit of their problems - trying to frighten the Tories off from employing Mr Crosby is pointless:

1. He's not going to be dropped by CCHQ

2. No one outside the Bubble cares

3. Even if they did - it won't change how they vote

4. It makes Labour look like they aren't interested in normal people's concerns by banging on and on about this.

If Labour and the LDs want to play this silly game - let them, the more time they waste on the telly talking about this, the less time they have to talk about issues voters are bothered about.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    Absolutely agree with Henry's article. Some MPs like to make out that they have a very responsible job, but the reality is that they have next to no individual decisions to take and the jobs of the average backbencher is 33% caseworker, 33% sitting on committees and 33% proactively campaigning in the constituency and on the media. Those MPs, particularly with safe seats that they can retain without much effort, can take it easy on the campaigning, and devolve the casework to paid staff, leaving committee work where the amount of work is to some extent within the MPs control. This allows the lazy and the greedy plenty of time to go off in search of £.

Isn't it ironic that MPs have been seeking to take councillors' pensions away, on the grounds that many councillors are part-time and so can get a pension from elsewhere, when at the same time these part-time MPs enjoy the most attractive and expensive pension arrangements this side of Alpha Centauri?

Also worth flagging the role that a voting system that gives more or less absolute security to at least 25% of the post holders has in influencing their behaviour and standards. I reckon that external earnings would show a positive correlation with majority.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

Unlike Vince, Ozzie hasn't been canonized yet so needs the lift.

Coalitionistas are also thinking Ozzie will eventually become Patron Saint of Master Strategists !!

• Options
    currystar said:

malcolmg said:

Fenster said:

Do you really believe this, I'm not an MPs cheerleader but they do far far more hours than a normal 9 to 5 job. They represent around 80,000 people, can you think of another job where you represent 80,000, any of whom can approach you at any time with the daftest of requests,work in the ludicrously expensive Central London. do regular 12 hour days 7 days a week, never ever be able to let your hair down in case the press catch you, and get only £66k p.a.. To me they are very underpaid, Wayne Rooney earns in two days what an MP earns in a year.
    I doubt many, if any MPs work as dilligently as you seem to think they do.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Alan , at least we will not be paying for all the jumped up Lords and thousands of hangers on , even with excess they will be limited on how much they can spend compared to Westminster
    Ya think ? An Indy Scotland would also need a second chamber, just about every democracy has one.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Fascinating little tweets

Tom Newton Dunn @tnewtondunn
    @paulwaugh @anthonyjwells no. we thought it was too bubble for our readers! YG will publish on their site tho.

Tom Newton Dunn @tnewtondunn
    @paulwaugh remember that's just those who said they knew, no proof, so as @anthonyjwells will tell you, real figure phaps half that?

Anthony Wells @anthonyjwells
    @tnewtondunn @paulwaugh yep - is if people THINK they know who he is. If we'd made them type an answer and marked them, would be even lower
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    O/T I was yougov'd this morning - presumably for Sunday - and lots of questions on NHS (including which party is trusted most), one on MPs' outside jobs, a few on Crosby and on the royal baby.
  • Options

I can see what's in it for Labour, but what's in it for the LDs ?

I'd have thought the better approach would be to stay out, buy some popcorn and let the 2 big parties drag each other into the mire. Then tut tut at the end and say just shows why you need us in government.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    It's for electorates to decide whether their MPs are doing a fair job, and for the parties that nominate them to screen their nominees appropriately in advance. If MPs are too part-time then they can and should be deselected or defeated at the polls. Setting up micro-regulation is typical Labour, and will probably be just as ineffective as their micro-regulation of the financial sector: having the FSA check every loan made or offered but failing to notice that banks didn't have enough reserves. Again, it's not seeing the wood for the trees.

In any case, it's probably unworkable and would certainly be ineffective. What is the practical difference *in the impact on an MP's performance* between doing a job for free as a volunteer and doing it for £10k or £100k or any other amount? Likewise, if an MP writes a dog of a book that sells half a dozen copies that's ok, but write a bestseller and that's prohibited? Bizarre. Likewise, would the rules apply to the Lords? If not, why not, if this is a matter of principle?

What campaigning like this and on Crosby by Miliband tells me is that Labour has given up on campaigning on the big issues: crime, the economy, health and education - perhaps with good reason. It's Westminster wonkery.

Do we really want a political class that has done nothing but politics since its members were 18 or younger? We could understand why Miliband might think that ideal but the practical effect would be to isolate the caste even more, both from the rest of the country and in terms of barriers to entry.
  • Options
    The Crosby thing is Ed being reactive - under pressure on the unions he flails around to try and smear the blues.

Ed isn't leading on anything - it's all about defence - poor.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

O/T I was yougov'd this morning - presumably for Sunday - and lots of questions on NHS (including which party is trusted most), one on MPs' outside jobs, a few on Crosby and on the royal baby.

@MrJones noted the other day that the Tories were within 1pt re trust and the NHS before the last GE. I'd quite forgotten that stunning figure. Shows its not impossible and that the Tories can play in this space despite what we've traditionally thought.

He posted the links on an earlier thread - my Google Fu is too poor to find them, so all help much appreciated.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

I was opinion polled on royal baby recently. Asked me to guess weight and sex, with a prize for correct answers [to the nearest oz].

Has any newspaper run with that yet, or are they waiting for the actual birth?
  • Options
    Apols if posted before, YouGov have done a poll on Private schools, A levels and University entry criteria:

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/0599udosnq/YG-Archive-Prospect-results-010713-private-schools.pdf

The variables in deciding the differences in outcomes are seen as being (true and very or fairly important):

Better educated parents: 47
    Smaller classes/better facilities: 77
    More freedom over what is taught: 50
    Pupils made to work harder: 56
    State school bright pupils held back: 57
    State school classroom disruption: 61

The panel is split on whether on balance Private schools benefit Britain(y/n): 42:41

On altering entry criteria for State school pupils, more think Universities should do more to find talented state school pupils (56) than leave things "A level results only" (36). While most (41) think standards would remain the same, more think they would fall (31) than rise (12).

On foreign students the panel divides evenly between those who think this good (32), bad (28) or makes no difference (32) for Britain.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 898
    "Parents have also been buying gifts from our new 'Thank the Teacher' range, with mugs proving the most popular option."

From Waitrose weekly sales report.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited July 2013

Do we really want a political class that has done nothing but politics since its members were 18 or younger? We could understand why Miliband might think that ideal but the practical effect would be to isolate the caste even more, both from the rest of the country and in terms of barriers to entry.

This is an irrelevant argument. It is perfectly possible to put a career on pause to enter parliament at any age. If anything a stint in parliament adds to, rather than detracts from your future career prospects.

If MPs treated their position as a full time job, we might save a bit of money on interns and parliamentary aides. So actually fewer professional pols in the long run.

• Options
    @Oblitus - At the end of the political survey, I was also asked those questions: reward for winning is 300 points!! A nation waits.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

It's actually much simpler than that. The government policy changed seemingly out of the blue. The opposition is paid to get to the bottom of why that happened. It's about as close to the raison d'etre of opposition as you can get. Opposition 101.

Labour have done nothing that Cameron would not have done in opposition.
  • Options
    Icarus said:

"Parents have also been buying gifts from our new 'Thank the Teacher' range, with mugs proving the most popular option."

From Waitrose weekly sales report.

My mother [who was a teacher elsewhere] gave me a giant tin of Victoria biscuits at the start of every term for the staff room. I assume my Form teacher didn't take it home instead :^ )

Are there figures for 'You Smell So Here's Bathroom Stuff' gifts? We had Miss Thompson who looked like a tubby version of Caroline Lucas in a Purdy haircut - she got loads at the end of every term.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The government policy changed seemingly out of the blue.

... to completely match that of the last Labour government.

That can only have been due to an evil lobbyist.

Oh, wait...
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    The correct question is: why do Conservative selection committees select people with second jobs? Because most of them had the glamorous job before they got the selection.

There is a nice and a nasty answer to this. The nice one is that they feel an MP should have experience of the outside world (though how outside-worldish working at the Bar or running an investment company is, is moot.) The nasty one is that Conservative selection committees are stacked out with snobs who would rather rub shoulders with a very, very rich man in a fracking great mansion, than someone in a semi on a housing estate.
  • Options
    @Plato - I very much doubt that the Tories will be that close. It IS possible as tim, Nick Palmer and Mike S have contented that focusing on the NHS, nowithstanding these are scandals, could contrive to boost Labour's ratings on the subject. But equally they may not which is why the result will be quite illuminating.

I'm in the undecided camp for once.
This discussion has been closed.