Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lucian Fletcher on the implications of the dramatic events in

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited January 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lucian Fletcher on the implications of the dramatic events in Northern Ireland politics

The resignation of Martin McGuinness means that there is no longer any leadership in the Executive Office of Northern Ireland. The jointly-held nature of the position of First Minister/Deputy First Minister means that with Martin’s resignation, Arlene Foster has effectively been dragged kicking and screaming from office.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Thank you for an excellent contrition Lucian, hope to see more from you.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Interesting piece, Mr. Fletcher.

Foster trying to hide her incompetence behind her ovaries is not an appealing sight.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    Posted on previous thread, but on-topic here:

"The "clock is ticking" on a Northern Ireland election following the resignation of Martin McGuinness, the Secretary of State has said."

Is he sure it is just a clock???
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Thank you Lucian. Northern Ireland seems to be badly in need of some Red-Blue politics rather than Green-Orange, but that's a naive outsider's perspective.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    The Russian finance ministry has just announced that it spent over half its reserves in the month of December alone...
  • Options
    Martin looked and sounded OLD on the news yesterday.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    Really useful article thanks.

So gaming it, let's say the election changes next to nothing, the DUP and Sinn Fein are the only parties large enough to go into office together. But it's clear they can't work together at the moment. What happens next?

My (distant) reading is that it's about personalities as much as anything, Sinn Fein just don't like and have found it harder to work with the DUP under Arlene Foster, and the RHI scheme provided perfect cover to do what they wanted to do anyway.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

So gaming it, let's say the election changes next to nothing, the DUP and Sinn Fein are the only parties large enough to go into office together. But it's clear they can't work together at the moment. What happens next?

My (distant) reading is that it's about personalities as much as anything, Sinn Fein just don't like and have found it harder to work with the DUP under Arlene Foster, and the RHI scheme provided perfect cover to do what they wanted to do anyway.

Re-partition between the EU-leaning west and south and the Brexit-leaning north and east?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PolhomeEditor: Labour HQ has just been evacuated due to a fire alarm, just as Jeremy Corbyn's big speech about to start. Insider says: "What a metaphor."
  • Options
    Blast from the past doing the thread. I personally miss Lucian's insight from the heart of the beast (media news room) from back in the day.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: Labour HQ has just been evacuated due to a fire alarm, just as Jeremy Corbyn's big speech about to start. Insider says: "What a metaphor."

Which MP pulled the alarm?

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847
    Scott_P said:

I would bet that probably wasn't an accidental fire alarm...
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

Posted on previous thread, but on-topic here:

"The "clock is ticking" on a Northern Ireland election following the resignation of Martin McGuinness, the Secretary of State has said."

Is he sure it is just a clock???

An unfortunate turn of phrase. :D
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

The Russian finance ministry has just announced that it spent over half its reserves in the month of December alone...

Why would they admit that?

• Options

Thank you Lucian. Northern Ireland seems to be badly in need of some Red-Blue politics rather than Green-Orange, but that's a naive outsider's perspective.

It won't get it. But Colum Eastwood and Mike Nesbitt seem more likely to work together in a genuine fashion than Martin and Arlene did. Not that I really expect a one-election flip as happened in 2003.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    ‘Arlene Foster has effectively been dragged kicking and screaming from office.’

I thought she was still clinging on by her fingernails? – However, great thread Mr Fletcher, ta.
  • Options

He has gone down very quickly. I saw him in the Assembly in the Autumn and he still looked fine. Yesterday, he hardly looked like himself.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited January 2017

tpfkar said:

Re-partition between the EU-leaning west and south and the Brexit-leaning north and east?
    But there are some quite Unionisty chunks out in the south and west (and not to mention the nationalist enclaves in Belfast that would be wanting to join the Republic if a re-drawing of the border is on the cards).

But ultimately, part of the problem of Norn Iron politics is that it's barely big enough to function effectively as it is, make it any smaller and you might as well turn it into a county council (or a Scottish unitary authority as the unionist population are closer to the Scots historically than the English).
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    As tpfkar says, a really useful article.

Local pollster Lucid Talk is well worth following on twitter. This is one sharp observation that they made yesterday:

https://twitter.com/LucidTalk/status/818521746374590464

Here's a recent opinion poll on leader ratings which, incidentally, shows just how tribal northern Irish politics is:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/poll-arlene-fosters-leadership-rating-plummets-from-49-to-29-35345193.html
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

Well this is all moving on very quickly as is the case in these matters. Arlene and her ministers (a popular beat combo) have just said they intend to negotiate with Sinn Fein and announce an inquiry in coming days.

The problem is that they just looked like a group who have received some internal polling news that tells them they are going to lose a lot of seats. Now if I can see that, so can SF.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

fpt TSE, on the subject of Nazis in South America

I went down the Road of Death, in Bolivia, in the fog, about two months ago (you know, the famous road used in the Top Gear Bolivia special)

What I didn't know before I set off is that halfway down is the incredibly remote house once occupied by Klaus Barbie, the Butcher of Lyons, a famously sadistic Nazi who used to advise the Bolivian generals on military techniques and the various advantages of torture, before he was extradited back to France

He was personally and directly responsible for the deaths of 14,000 people (and some truly gruesome torture), which must put him in the premier league of killers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaus_Barbie

(I never knew he worked for the CIA and West German intelligence)

The house is just a bungalow, but the ambience, as it looms out of the fog, on that hellish road with its hideous cliffs, is indescribably sinister

I did, quite a few of the truly evil Nazis ended up working for the West, they knew a lot, and it was better that we used it than the Soviets.

I read ages ago had the likes of Goebbels not committed suicide, they would have been described as missing by the Allies, but kept alive in secret to use their knowledge.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    The big question: will Brigitte Bardot back Le Pen or Mélenchon? She has backed the FN for years, but she's been praising Mélenchon recently.

Le Pen talks of animal rights and markets herself to pet owners, but her party still supports hunting and bullfighting.

I hope Bardot backs Mélenchon. In 2002, Jean-Marie Le Pen got into R2 by winning 16.9% in the first round. Mélenchon is polling 14% now. Who knows? Maybe there will be a tight-knit bunch of practically-second-equal candidates. Maybe Philippe Poutou (New Anticapitalist Party, polling 2%) and Nathalie Arthaud (Workers' Struggle, polling 1%) could withdraw and advocate voting for Mélenchon? Valls isn't likely to be going places if he wins the PS nomination: I will be amazed if he gets into R2.
  • Options

Blast from the past doing the thread. I personally miss Lucian's insight from the heart of the beast (media news room) from back in the day.

Funny thing is that when I actually got a job that put me further at the heart, I stopped having time to post!
  • Options
    I'm assuming the DUP private polling makes for unpleasant reading

https://twitter.com/JayneMcCormack/status/818834851444838403
  • Options

I'm assuming the DUP private polling makes for unpleasant reading

https://twitter.com/JayneMcCormack/status/818834851444838403

Hadn't they already offered an inquiry?

I don't understand why she doesn't just go. It's not like there's not been a revolving door in her position anyway. She's already the 6th, 8th and 10th holder of the office and it's not even been going two decades yet.
  • Options

He has gone down very quickly. I saw him in the Assembly in the Autumn and he still looked fine. Yesterday, he hardly looked like himself.
    He looked and sounded that ill, I was surprised not to see old grim in the background sharping his scythe.
  • Options
    @PickardJE: High farce alert: Corbyn is about to drop his plan for an earnings cap....
  • Options
    @bbclaurak: Crucially, Corbyn line on freedom of movement has changed, he's now saying they don't 'rule out' keeping freedom of movement
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: Has Corbyn U-turned on his U-turn? Seems to comes full circle.
    Lab "not wedded to freedom of movement" BUT now adds "nor do we rule it out"
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2017
    Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: High farce alert: Corbyn is about to drop his plan for an earnings cap....

Has Mr Wenger been on the blower to inform his #1 fan that a wage cap is a bonkers idea?
  • Options
    Mr. P, what lasts longer: a Corbyn policy proposal, or a mayfly?
  • Options
    @bbclaurak: Speech also does not include his suggestion this morning of introducing a maximum pay cap
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

As tpfkar says, a really useful article.

Local pollster Lucid Talk is well worth following on twitter. This is one sharp observation that they made yesterday:

https://twitter.com/LucidTalk/status/818521746374590464

Here's a recent opinion poll on leader ratings which, incidentally, shows just how tribal northern Irish politics is:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/poll-arlene-fosters-leadership-rating-plummets-from-49-to-29-35345193.html

Foster only 10% ahead of McGuinness with unionists is the standout stat for me there. Appalling for her.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Well there's a surprise... He's astoundingly, crashingly bloody awful.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

His speech seems to open the door to taking in more migrants
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    I must admit I didn't think Corbyn was quite this inept. Is the 0% strategy actually his real plan?
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, for Labour, it's like having Jar Jar Binks in command of the Death Star.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Come on Corbyn pull yerself together. you;ve got to make it to the next election.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Corbyn: These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Jezza...the only person to have more attempted restarts at a launch that the people behind this trick shot.

One million people watch 500ft snooker trick shot

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-38573364
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: Speech also does not include his suggestion this morning of introducing a maximum pay cap

He is rambling on about various ideas of capping pay with literally not a clue.

He is a dreadful uninspiring speaker and basically clueless
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

He looked and sounded that ill, I was surprised not to see old grim in the background sharping his scythe.
    I wonder what he'll say when he meets his maker. No hiding from anything then
  • Options
    @theobertram: BBC: breaking a leak on NHS crisis
    Sky: chasing the Health Secretary down a street
    Corbyn: contradicting himself on something else
  • Options
    Corbyn: "We cannot have the CEO paying less tax than the cleaner"

Err....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    *cough*
    Pulpstar said:

@AlastairMeeks He'll "clarify" it - like May with the Grammar schools ;)

• Options
    Corbyn...he isn't the messiah, he's a very naughty boy f##king idiot.
  • Options

Corbyn: "We cannot have the CEO paying less tax than the cleaner"

Err....

He's been on the phone to Warren Buffet :D
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Blue_rog said:

I wonder what he'll say when he meets his maker. No hiding from anything then
    Certainly be an interesting discussion before the lever gets pulled and he is sent somewhere much warmer.
  • Options
    Still, Labour supporters should look on the bright side.

At least they didn't elect Owen Smith.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Not surprising, given the source, but a scathing assessment of Obama nevertheless:

http://www.investors.com/politics/commentary/ego-in-chief-obama-says-democrats-lost-because-he-was-too-busy-being-president/
  • Options
    Not only did he not deliver the speech he briefed out last night, he didn't deliver the speech he made up this morning
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@theobertram: BBC: breaking a leak on NHS crisis
    Sky: chasing the Health Secretary down a street
    Corbyn: contradicting himself on something else

Beth Rigby of Sky chasing Hunt was simply pathetic
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Corbyn seems to be implying that we will definitely Brexit, but we must still allow anyone from the EU to live here, if they fancy it.

@bbclaurak: Key Corbyn line from speech, single market trumps concerns over immigration - 'jobs and living standards first' in negotiations
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    Well we'll all have a spring in our step heading to our branch AGM this evening...
  • Options

LOL - dear god as it got THAT bad
  • Options

Definitely a bullet well dodged.
  • Options
    F1: just an aside, but amused to see Ross Brawn say there'll never be a Leicester City in F1.

*cough*2009*cough*
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Corbyn seems to be implying that we will definitely Brexit, but we must still allow anyone from the EU to live here, if they fancy it.

That's unfair. He's doing more than that, he's also arguing that we should make it much more attractive for them to come and live here.
  • Options

Mr. Glenn, for Labour, it's like having Jar Jar Binks in command of the Death Star.

• Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    It takes a special skill to make Sinn Fein look principled.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I have no idea how Jezza only managed 2 E's at A-level despite attending one of the best state schools in the country, as he is clearly a genius.....he has managed to get us talking about something other than just Brexit for most of the day.

Throws hand grenade and runs for cover....
  • Options
    This is next level incompetence from Jeremy Corbyn. If he were really adopting Trumpian tactics he would have junked his relaunch and spent the day tweeting and ranting about the NHS. Not going through fresh iterations of far left economic fantasies and muddled words on immigration with each passing hour.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

Scott_P said:

His speech seems to open the door to taking in more migrants
    His speech can mean whatever you take or anyone else takes it to mean; a brilliant extension of political speak. He answers (rather than avoid answering) in a way which he hopes enables every listener to interpret that answer in a way which suits them and then repeats the process in respect of those interpretations which don't suit his purpose. Eventually everyone gets thoroughly pissed off and gives up the ghost. Lots of flatulence, a nasty smell but he made the news and he can hear his troops cheering: that showed 'em.
  • Options
    Floater said:
    It's a spoof.

I believe the phenomenon is called Poe's Law.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

This is next level incompetence from Jeremy Corbyn. If he were really adopting Trumpian tactics he would have junked his relaunch and spent the day tweeting and ranting about the NHS. Not going through fresh iterations of far left economic fantasies and muddled words on immigration with each passing hour.

If he was really going for Trump-esque approach, he would also now be tweeting about how biased all the media outlets are and what a disgrace the likes of Laura K etc are, perhaps with a bit of sexist and racist stuff in there too.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, don't criticise the Chairman too much, or you'll face a 120% tax rate!

Incidentally, I hope your other half is continuing to recover well.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Thanks. Really interesting and accessible.

I don't feel like I know enough about NI politics or the post-GF electoral system. Can anyone advise on reasonably non-partisan reading materials?

My usual goto for irish politics/betting - politics.ie - is crap for analysis/indepth discussion.
  • Options
    David Blanchflower, Corbyn's former advisor on pay cap, 'completely idiotic idea and not a single economist would agree to it'
  • Options

Just imagine a six week long general election campaign and we get this every day.

Soon Shadsy will be offering odds on Labour polling sub 10%
  • Options

Mr. Meeks, don't criticise the Chairman too much, or you'll face a 120% tax rate!

He's doing well. He's due to have a further operation next week, so fingers crossed for that.
  • Options

Just imagine a six week long general election campaign and we get this every day.

I won't get any work done if that is the case...I will probably do myself some serious harm from laughing too much.
  • Options

David Blanchflower, Corbyn's former advisor on pay cap, 'completely idiotic idea and not a single economist would agree to it'

His interview on BBC just now is trashing Corbyn comprehensively
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, best of luck to you both.
  • Options

He's doing well. He's due to have a further operation next week, so fingers crossed for that.
    All the best to both of you.
  • Options

All the best to both of you.
    Seconded.

• Options
    I like this from the Lib Dems

"Commenting on Jeremy Corbyn’s plans for a salary cap, Alistair Carmichael, the Liberal Democrats' Shadow First Secretary of State, said:

"If the salary cap is just the first idea from the new Trump style Jeremy Corbyn then 2017 may have some much-needed levity. You wonder what is coming next. Building a wall would be the obvious one. Most likely it would be built around to rest of the Parliamentary Labour Party."

In one regard Corbyn is like Trump – they share an utter disregard for how things actually work, whether it is the rest of the world or other people’s money. He is letting down the millions of ordinary people who need a progressive force that is serious about stopping the Conservative Government. That is when the joke stops being funny.

While the Labour Party want to take lessons from the most divisive political figure in the world, Liberal Democrats will continue to champion an open, tolerant and united society. We can only hope that he doesn't start to ape Trump's use of Twitter.""
  • Options

Best wishes to both of you.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Floater said:

"Commenting on Jeremy Corbyn’s plans for a salary cap, Alistair Carmichael, the Liberal Democrats' Shadow First Secretary of State, said:

"If the salary cap is just the first idea from the new Trump style Jeremy Corbyn then 2017 may have some much-needed levity. You wonder what is coming next. Building a wall would be the obvious one. Most likely it would be built around to rest of the Parliamentary Labour Party."

In one regard Corbyn is like Trump – they share an utter disregard for how things actually work, whether it is the rest of the world or other people’s money. He is letting down the millions of ordinary people who need a progressive force that is serious about stopping the Conservative Government. That is when the joke stops being funny.

While the Labour Party want to take lessons from the most divisive political figure in the world, Liberal Democrats will continue to champion an open, tolerant and united society. We can only hope that he doesn't start to ape Trump's use of Twitter.""

How can anyone believe anything from that lying Lib Dem chancer.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    edited January 2017

Naughty but Tory propaganda!

The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that Jezza, for lack of a better word, is good. Jezza is right, Jezza works. Jezza clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the (R)evolutionary spirit. Jezza, in all of his forms; Jezza for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And Jezza, you mark my words, will not only save the Labour Party, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the UK! Thank you very much.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Floater said:

But it is a good comment on the disaster that is Jeremy Corbyn
  • Options

Definitely a silver lining for Corbyn here.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Floater said:

Orkney and Shetland would vote for a pickled cucumber so long as it had the bird on the rosette ;)
  • Options
    Jezza is lucky the UK voted to leave tbh, he'd be in more trouble if we'd voted to remain in the EU.

Alot more.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

"While the Labour Party want to take lessons from the most divisive political figure in the world, Liberal Democrats will continue to champion an open, tolerant and united society".
    THAT is a bigger joke than Corbyn, only a swivel eyed Lib Dem could spout such mince and expect anyone to believe it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

Orkney and Shetland would vote for a pickled cucumber so long as it had the bird on the rosette ;)
    I tend to agree , they are easy pleased for sure.
  • Options
    Whenever I try to do my best Martin McGuiness voice, it comes out more like Colin Murray :)
  • Options

That is good to hear - best wishes to you both
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Floater said:

I think you let the lying bastard off light
  • Options

Naughty but Tory propaganda!

The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that Jezza, for lack of a better word, is good. Jezza is right, Jezza works. Jezza clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the (R)evolutionary spirit. Jezza, in all of his forms; Jezza for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And Jezza, you mark my words, will not only save the Labour Party, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the UK! Thank you very much.
    huzzah!
  • Options
    LOL - Guardian journalist on Sky News " he has succeeded in uniting everyone I know - against him"
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

"While the Labour Party want to take lessons from the most divisive political figure in the world, Liberal Democrats will continue to champion an open, tolerant and united society".
    THAT is a bigger joke than Corbyn, only a swivel eyed Lib Dem could spout such mince and expect anyone to believe it.
    That's more like it!
  • Options
    I wonder what the salary differences are in unions and public sector organisations too.......
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.