Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn and his party’s biggest challenge is making headway amo

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited January 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn and his party’s biggest challenge is making headway amongst his own age group – the oldies

Watching the TV news it’s clear that Corbyn Mark 2 hasn’t quite had the impact that his team would have liked. There’s a terrible lack of consistency and no real clear plan about what the message was going to be.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    First?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Second, like the LDs if Jezza keeps it up!
  • Options
    Odd graph mind. Column three is alomost twice as many years as the first two together ( let alone column four).
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Age bringeth wisdom.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    edited January 2017
    Off Topic. I'm reading the Cummings piece and came across this nugget:

I was surprised at what a shock it was to IN when we hit them with Turkey. By the time this happened they were in an almost impossible position. I wanted them to announce a veto. It would not have been believed and would have had the opposite effect – people would have taken the danger of Turkey joining more seriously. If your life depended on winning for IN, the answer is clear: they should have said long before the campaign started as part of the renegotiation process that they would veto any accession.

I wouldn't be very good at this politics lark. I assumed that IN didn't announce a veto because they were under orders from Merkel not to do so. But I guess Cummings has a point when says it would have made things worse. The time to do something was before the renegotiation. Very poor planning from Cameron and Co.

And, of course, had Cameron just waited a few months, Turkey would not have been an issue at all.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    The media portrayal of Corbyn and his dysfunctional party was very telling. How will they get the media to believe they might actually be on to anything ?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Anorak said:

Age bringeth wisdom.

It should. But we all know of many, many exceptions. I'd hope I'm wiser than my 25-year old self, but I may just be foolish in different ways.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    "Anyone who relies on 18-24-year-olds as a group, unfortunately, what we would call those candidates are losers. Because they never turn out"

Said in relation to Clinton's digital campaign strategy, but somewhat apposite to the current header.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited January 2017
    http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article17814440.html#storylink=cpy

When Kennedy asked the crowd of a few hundred viewers how many parents had a child injured by vaccines, numerous hands went up.

“They get the shot, that night they have a fever of a hundred and three, they go to sleep, and three months later their brain is gone,” Kennedy said. “This is a holocaust, what this is doing to our country.”

lol. It would be funny if it wasn't so serious.

"THREE MONTHS LATER THEIR BRAIN IS GONE"

"THIS IS A HOLOCAUST."

America has become a Kakistocracy
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029
    Fpt

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SHAMEFUL ANNOUNCEMENT

williamglenn and I have mutually agreed to downgrade our apocalyptic £10,000 Brexit bet to a much more modest, though still noteworthy £1000 wager on the same.

Yes yes, I know. Pathetic bedwetters. My masculinity is compromised. But we felt Brexit was intense, distracting and vexatious enough as it is, without having this massive bet to add to the stress. And a grand (the biggest person-to-person bet in PB history?) is still big enough to sting, and concentrate the mind.

We still haven't quite decided the definition of Brexit, but we'll get there.

"We still haven't quite decided the definition of Brexit"

You and everyone else.

Personally I favour something really simple, like

"The UK no longer having a vote in the Council of Ministers"

The more complicated it gets, the more likely there is to be an area of dispute.

How about the "date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement" as taken from A50, clause 3.

http://www.lisbon-treaty.org/wcm/the-lisbon-treaty/treaty-on-European-union-and-comments/title-6-final-provisions/137-article-50.html

(or 2 years after A50 if no deal is made).

I'd go with this. David Herdson wrote a good extended version at the bottom of the previous thread.

Whether we have a vote in the Council might be opaque and hard to pin down to a date. What if May voluntarily abstains?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Anorak said:

Age bringeth wisdom.

There is no fool like an old fool.

Exhibit A: Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957
    Conhome reports from Copeland and not much enthusiasm for Corbyn

"Graham Kirkland, 54, said he has always supported Labour “because I was brought up that way. But the Labour leader, I think he’s a prick. An absolute lunatic. It’s like that nutter in America, Trump.” The plan of some round Corbyn to conduct a Trump-style insurgency is unlikely to go down well in Whitehaven.
    ConHome: “So how will you vote in this by-election?”
    Kirkland: “I don’t know. It’s always been Labour down here. But if Corbyn’s still leader I won’t be voting Labour. But I definitely won’t vote Conservative. They’ve ruined the area, I think.”
    ConHome: “So might you vote UKIP?”
    Kirkland: “That’s the nutter who went off to see Donald Trump.”
    It is noticeable how churned up these Labour voters are. They feel a deep ancestral loyalty to their party, detest the Conservatives, and do not much like the sound of a website with that word in its title, though they were prepared to have a friendly conversation with the website’s representative. They want to go on voting Labour, but for a substantial number of them, Corbyn makes that impossible.
    As a second man put it: “Well I won’t be voting Labour again. I’ve been voting Labour all my life. I just think it’s pointless with Corbyn around. I’m from an Army background. I just think he’s a wrong ‘un.”
    A third man agreed: “I hate Corbyn"
    http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2017/01/corbyn-will-find-it-hard-to-cope-in-copeland-and-risks-humiliation.html
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Can we quarantine the U.S when polio makes a comeback?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/818929746260164612

Digital front page looks brutal, will the dead tree press be as bad for Corbyn in the next hour or so?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
  • Options
    nunu said:

Pakistan and Aghanistan are the world reservoirs of polio. It is functionally extinct elsewhere.

Quarenting Afghanistan and Pakistan has other merits too.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    HYUFD said:

"Graham Kirkland, 54, said he has always supported Labour “because I was brought up that way. But the Labour leader, I think he’s a prick. An absolute lunatic. It’s like that nutter in America, Trump.” The plan of some round Corbyn to conduct a Trump-style insurgency is unlikely to go down well in Whitehaven.
    Kirkland: “I don’t know. It’s always been Labour down here. But if Corbyn’s still leader I won’t be voting Labour. But I definitely won’t vote Conservative. They’ve ruined the area, I think.”
    It is noticeable how churned up these Labour voters are. They feel a deep ancestral loyalty to their party, detest the Conservatives, and do not much like the sound of a website with that word in its title, though they were prepared to have a friendly conversation with the website’s representative. They want to go on voting Labour, but for a substantial number of them, Corbyn makes that impossible.
    As a second man put it: “Well I won’t be voting Labour again. I’ve been voting Labour all my life. I just think it’s pointless with Corbyn around. I’m from an Army background. I just think he’s a wrong ‘un.”
    http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2017/01/corbyn-will-find-it-hard-to-cope-in-copeland-and-risks-humiliation.html

Not exactly a scientific sample, coming from Con Home there, I wouldn't have thought.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Very good poll for Le Pen as she takes the lead in round 1, good for Macron too were he to get to round two but on that poll he won't
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    nunu said:

AFIK, the Taliban areas of Afghanistan and Pakistan are the only places where polio still exists in nature with continuous transmission. Are you making an assertion about Trump's Pakistan policy?

PS Only a silly comment. I know that it does not take much for one imported case to create a new outbreak in a polio-free country.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    HYUFD said:

"Graham Kirkland, 54, said he has always supported Labour “because I was brought up that way. But the Labour leader, I think he’s a prick. An absolute lunatic. It’s like that nutter in America, Trump.”

That's probably not quite the Trump effect Labour are looking for.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    JWisemann said:

HYUFD said:

Not exactly a scientific sample, coming from Con Home there, I wouldn't have thought.
    More scientific than anything you are offering.....
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

HYUFD said:

Nontheless best for Jezza to stay clear.

I think nominations have closed and of the local candidates at least one actively campaigned for Smith last summer. It is probably a good idea to pick someone like that.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    JWisemann said:

HYUFD said:

Highly likely to be very true.. however much you might want to diss it. Frankly I think Labour might lose because their support wiĺl stay at home.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

HYUFD said:

If you read the article seems pretty objective, not much love for the Tories either but they can't stand Corbyn
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    glw said:

HYUFD said:

"Graham Kirkland, 54, said he has always supported Labour “because I was brought up that way. But the Labour leader, I think he’s a prick. An absolute lunatic. It’s like that nutter in America, Trump.”

Though Trump seems to have had virtually no honeymoon even amongst his own voters

http://sacbee-politics-chatter.sacbee.com/politics-talk/slideshow/trump-viewed-negatively-majority-americans-new-poll/?li_source=LI&li_medium=publisher-widget
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Fpt

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SHAMEFUL ANNOUNCEMENT

williamglenn and I have mutually agreed to downgrade our apocalyptic £10,000 Brexit bet to a much more modest, though still noteworthy £1000 wager on the same.

Yes yes, I know. Pathetic bedwetters. My masculinity is compromised. But we felt Brexit was intense, distracting and vexatious enough as it is, without having this massive bet to add to the stress. And a grand (the biggest person-to-person bet in PB history?) is still big enough to sting, and concentrate the mind.

You and everyone else.

The more complicated it gets, the more likely there is to be an area of dispute.

How about the "date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement" as taken from A50, clause 3.

http://www.lisbon-treaty.org/wcm/the-lisbon-treaty/treaty-on-European-union-and-comments/title-6-final-provisions/137-article-50.html

I'd go with this. David Herdson wrote a good extended version at the bottom of the previous thread.

Whether we have a vote in the Council might be opaque and hard to pin down to a date. What if May voluntarily abstains?
    I'm very tempted to agree to this, it's just the vague wording of Article 50 which gives me slight pause. But then, that's probably what your relying on to win, so I can't complain.

But what counts as "date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement"? When Westminster ratifies, when Brussels ratifies? Will there be a definite date when all sides agree?
    As I understand it the withdrawal agreement will have an exact date written into it after which the UK is officially out of the EU.
  • Options
    glw said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,280
    The bit that has cut through with my (London) Lefty friends is the maximum income.

Corbyn's created the impression it could be anything north of £140k and that he could heavily tax the rest.

Obviously they love internationalism and immigration.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2017
    Le Figaro are reporting that Fillon's programme is the "biggest crock of crap in the history of the right" ("le plus con de l'histoire de la droite") according to rival candidate, Frexiteer Dupont-Aignan.

Dupont-Aignan wants to be the French Trump, but how fast can he learn? He needs some catchier sayings:

"Lock Fillon up!",
    "Hollande and Fillon founded ISIS!",
    "Crooked Marine",
    "maybe the sons of the OAS are keeping their powder dry",
    "see this bulge in my pants? that's how much I love France!"
    etc.

• Options
    SeanT said:

That's quite emphatic.
    I see Macron beats Fillon, and either thrashes LePen.

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

The bit that has cut through with my (London) Lefty friends is the maximum income.

Corbyn's created the impression it could be anything north of £140k and that he could heavily tax the rest.

Yeah but not enough to "pay" for them. ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2017

glw said:

HYUFD said:

Though Trump seems to have had virtually no honeymoon even amongst his own voters

http://sacbee-politics-chatter.sacbee.com/politics-talk/slideshow/trump-viewed-negatively-majority-americans-new-poll/?li_source=LI&li_medium=publisher-widget
    He has the lowest ratings for a president elect since Gallup started polling in 1992, 55% disapprove, 42% approve. Clinton began with 58% approval, George W Bush 59% approval and Obama 68% approval. The Democrats certainly look a good bet for the mid-terms

• Options

Anorak said:

Age bringeth wisdom.

There is no fool like an old fool.

Exhibit A: Jeremy Corbyn.
    The good thing about opinion polls is that you get a true average. It can be seen by voting intent that the older the group, the smarter it is. There are of course exceptions in each group. PBs elderly labour voters appear much smarter than average, for example, whereas the more animated brexiteers - many of them Tory voters - appear to be in 5W bulb territory.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Fpt

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SHAMEFUL ANNOUNCEMENT

You and everyone else.

I'm very tempted to agree to this, it's just the vague wording of Article 50 which gives me slight pause. But then, that's probably what your relying on to win, so I can't complain.

But what counts as "date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement"? When Westminster ratifies, when Brussels ratifies? Will there be a definite date when all sides agree?
    As I understand it the withdrawal agreement will have an exact date written into it after which the UK is officially out of the EU.
    It is an interesting bet, if a bit rich for me.

Anyone want to set up a betfair market on the issue?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Not only are the 40-pluses more likely to vote (and get progressively more and more likely to vote as we become older and more Tory,) but we also constitute a sizeable majority of the entire electorate. Given that the median age of the UK population is now 40, and one-fifth of the population are children, over 60% of the eligible electorate is therefore 40-plus.

Poor Labour. No wonder they're struggling.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

SeanT said:

That's quite emphatic.

Le Pen wins the first round and 36% for her at this stage is about double the 18% her father got in the second round against Chirac in 2002, FN could well hold the balance of power in the legislative elections as a result. Macron will come third but not get to the second round on this poll
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    It's good for manufacturing; natural correction; nothing to see here; there are no tanks in Baghdad.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

How would it work in the charitable sector, where unpaid staff work in the shops and do the dreadful door-to-door chugging?

Cameron used to talk about a ratio in the public sector - did they ever do it?

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    I think Sterling will slide to $1.10 for the reasons Richard Nabavi has stated.

A lot of forex traders are in denial and assume HMG thinks like they do.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

That's quite emphatic.

Le Pen wins the first round and 35% or 36% for her at this stage is about double the 18% her father got in the second round against Chirac in 2002, FN could well hold the balance of power in the legislative elections as a result
    I predict someone like Le Pen or Wilders will take power in a western country in Europe in the next decade or so, unless the demographic and religious trends within European Islam radically change. A hard right government isn't just a possible reaction to this, it is INEVITABLE.

See how Le Pen has doubled the hard right vote in France. Now extrapolate.
    Yes, if it doubled again next time she would win by a landslide! We are now at the stage, probably mirrored in the Netherlands, of a far right party coming first but the other parties and their voters ganging up to keep them out of power, it only takes one more big push for them to eventually get that power
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:
    It's good for manufacturing; natural correction; nothing to see here; there are no tanks in Baghdad.
    The £ is near historic lows against the dollar (and thus other currencies), but it is not especially weak against the euro.

But what do you expect, anyway? The UK has decided on a radical departure in its politics, a huge rupture in its trading and business situation, we're like a family that's decided to gut the house, and completely redo the place, down to the wiring and plumbing. You can anticipate some discomfort, for several years. Dust. Noise. Rubble. Workmen whistling in an annoying way.

But in the end we will have a lovely new home.
    Perhaps. I hope you're right about the end point.

You are also much less myopic than some of your fellow travellers, for whom all news related to Brexit is incontrovertibly good.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

How would it work in the charitable sector, where unpaid staff work in the shops and do the dreadful door-to-door chugging?

Cameron used to talk about a ratio in the public sector - did they ever do it?

They probably wouldn't mind so much.

People generally vote in their own interests.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    Jezza is so more at home on the picket line as an agitator than as a politician.
  • Options

Le Pen regaining ground, and Macron doing better than Fillon in round 2.

https://twitter.com/europeelects/status/818931047975026689

I'm not sure whether they recorded DK/WV, but the varying support for the four PS candidates shows how volatile things are: 10.5% Valls, 5.5% Montebourg, 6% Hamon, 2.5% Peillon.

On the obvious assumptions, the 8% who'd vote for Valls but not for Peillon get redistributed as follows:

2% left (1% Mélenchon, 1% others),
    4.5% centrist (3% Macron, 1.5% Bayrou - who may not stand),
    1% right (Fillon),
    0.5% Green

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @GuardianHeather: BREAKING: Momentum has announced a new constitution, which will oblige members to join Labour. It will now seek to affiliate to the party.
  • Options
    Excellent prog on BBC2 now on dancing in Barnsley.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:
    The £ is near historic lows against the dollar (and thus other currencies), but it is not especially weak against the euro.

But what do you expect, anyway? The UK has decided on a radical departure in its politics, a huge rupture in its trading and business situation, we're like a family that's decided to gut the house, and completely redo the place, down to the wiring and plumbing. You can anticipate some discomfort, for several years. Dust. Noise. Rubble. Workmen whistling in an annoying way.

I think the £ will take a battering over the period from March 2017 to Nov 17 because we will ask for maximum single market access and immigration controls, and Barnier, Verhofstadt and Tusk/Juncker will tell us to go and do something that's physically impossible to ourselves.

May won't compromise. And neither will they. So the markets will gradually wake up to the fact May actually means it, and so do the EU, assume an ultra-hard Brexit and so the pound will steadily slide. It will aided along the way by as many apocalyptic announcements from the EU of the consequences as possible.

THIS IS DELIBERATE. The EU wants maximum market pressure on Sterling. It will be like a real-time Remain campaign run by the EU, but, they hope, with real fear this time.

The hope is that by a no-holds bar, no compromising position, and immense market pressure on the currency, it will scare the Brits off leaving and/or lead to impossible political pressure on May.

I think they are wrong, but it's not impossible they are right.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Scott_P said:
    Yet again Scott points to a negative economic story and bigs it up whilst any stories less good for his side of argument just prove brexit hasn't happened yet.

Quite sad really.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:
    I think the £ will take a battering over the period from March 2017 to Nov 17 because we will ask for maximum single market access and immigration controls, and Barnier, Verhofstadt and Tusk/Juncker will tell us to go and do something that's physically impossible to ourselves.

May won't compromise. And neither will they. So the markets will gradually wake up to the fact May actually means it, and so do the EU, assume an ultra-hard Brexit and so the pound will steadily slide. It will aided along the way by as many apocalyptic announcements from the EU of the consequences as possible.

THIS IS DELIBERATE. The EU wants maximum market pressure on Sterling. It will be like a real-time Remain campaign run by the EU, but, they hope, with real fear this time.

The hope is that by a no-holds bar, no compromising position, and immense market pressure on the currency, it will scare the Brits off leaving and/or lead to impossible political pressure on May.

There will also probably be a lot of Sterling volatility right near the end of the Article 50 timeframe if a deal hasn't been wrapped up. I.e. around Feb-March 2019 because I think the deal will be done at one minute to midnight, and some member states - as well as the EU parliament - will deliberately throw their toys out the pram for maximum leverage.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Anorak said:

SeanT said:

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

You are also much less myopic than some of your fellow travellers, for whom all news related to Brexit is incontrovertibly good.
    Most of the Brexiteers I know, personally, are quite sober in their expectation of short-medium term pain. They know this won't be easy or sweet. It will hurt. It's gonna be a wrench. But the prize is worth it.
    Yep. ECJ jurisdiction over us in areas few have heard of and which doesn't touch their lives.
  • Options

SeanT said:

That's quite emphatic.

Good looks help, always.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    dr_spyn said:

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/818929746260164612

Digital front page looks brutal, will the dead tree press be as bad for Corbyn in the next hour or so?

It's going to be fun :-)
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

SeanT said:

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

I think that's a reasonable assessment. There'll also be a recession once we actually do exit. We're overdue one, and I think it will be exacerbated by the process.

As has been stated on here many, many times, over-optimistic Brexiteers are as deluded as the more apocalyptic Remainers.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2017
    I see Sky are desperately trying to get the Corbyn = UK Trump line going. I presume it gives them something new to talk about.

Just like the media didn't get Brexit or Trump, they don't get how stupid they look trying to compare Corbyn to Trump.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    So a 3% poll-swing from Fillon to Le Pen since the previous IFOP poll. (Figures for a Valls candidacy).
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    HYUFD said:

JWisemann said:

HYUFD said:

If you read the article seems pretty objective, not much love for the Tories either but they can't stand Corbyn
    So you dont think they just published whatever quotes they hunted down that supported whatever they wanted to write about? Because that what I would have done if i was a potboiling party propagandist.

• Options

SeanT said:

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

I don't think it will be that dramatic. There will be a deal and the challenge will be that each side will try to maximise benefit for themselves.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

I think most Brits don't really care that much about the currency except if they work in the City or go abroad regularly or buy a lot of foreign goods so I doubt it will make much difference, it would actually be good news for exporters, they care more about controlling immigration. If Brexit led to mass unemployment that might change things a bit but a fall in the currency won't
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I guess it must do, by law. But when is that? What's the process? Does a PM go to Brussels to sign a document, as with Lisbon? I'm not expecting you to know, just curious.

This bet focuses the mind on the practicalities, which is good.

I believe the document gets approved by QMV in the Council and needs 'consent' from the Parliament (presumably a majority vote). It doesn't require ratification like a treaty. To actually extend the negotiation period requires unanimity in the Council. There will be political pressure on the EU side to get it out of the way before the next European elections so it doesn't negatively impact them.

Are we agreed on this definition?
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

HYUFD said:

JWisemann said:

HYUFD said:

So you dont think they just published whatever quotes they hunted down that supported whatever they wanted to write about? Because that what I would have done if i was a potboiling party propagandist.

Except all the polls show Corbyn's ratings are abysmal, even with Labour voters, so it holds with the evidence
  • Options
    Also, there are several EU member state elections next year, although not as high-profile as the ones this year: Austria, Bulgaria, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malta, Slovenia and Sweden.

Can't see many having a huge impact, apart from Italy in April/May 2018, and Sweden will be of interest to a lesser extent, but the EU will want to ensure no eurosceptic troublemakers are elected.

There are also a fair few elections in Eastern Europe in April/May 2019, just after the UK deal should be finally concluded. So that will have a bearing as well.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    TOPPING said:

Excellent prog on BBC2 now on dancing in Barnsley.

One of our customers at 00:22 into it.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Anorak said:

SeanT said:

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

Most of the Brexiteers I know, personally, are quite sober in their expectation of short-medium term pain. They know this won't be easy or sweet. It will hurt. It's gonna be a wrench. But the prize is worth it.
    The most annoying things will be the wailing. Oh, the wailing.

Can I come back in 2 years?
  • Options
    edited January 2017

SeanT said:

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

Don't doubt your scenario is well possible but:-

Isn't the more likely British public reaction to be more of us to telling them to go forth and multiply?

Even if they "succeeded" in scaring us back in- what's the point? They'd have got themselves embittered millions who'd rightly feel humiliated and betrayed. It would be taken out on the EU in future. I dread to think where that leads, I really do.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

I
    I think you're almost entirely right. That's how I see it. The pound could easily hit parity against the euro and dollar. Or lower.

I demur on one point. I think the EU has abandoned hope of the UK changing its mind. This won't be an attempt to make us revote, it will just be hard cheese we have to eat, as the EU dictates the pace, being the larger more powerful party (albeit with their own divisions and faultlines).

However, I also expect the EU to compromise, to an extent, in the end. There will be a fudge, where both sides can plausibly claim success. No one will be happy. But we will be Out. And then we can rebuild, as a free country, with fresh horizons.
    I think EU leaders like Merkel (and prob Fillion) know the UK won't change its mind.

The EU apparatchiks - with egging on from the most ardent UK Remainers collocated in Brussels whispering into their ears daily, of the sort that make WilliamGlenn look like Bill Cash - think a cold dose of reality might do the trick. And they might even have plans to suggest they'd throw Cameron's deal back on the table again - with a couple of minor tweaks - if we changed our minds: perhaps with longer benefits exclusion periods, and a couple of extra opt-outs on crime and justice etc.

That's why I don't expect sanity in the EU negotiations until this Autumn. Possibly later.

The big chunk of work will be done from c. May 2018-Nov 2018. Then we'll see the EU trying to sell and vote it through thereafter, with all sorts of horsetrading in which we'll largely be spectators. With perhaps the Irish acting as a kind of proxy for us.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

I think most Brits don't really care that much about the currency except if they work in the City or go abroad regularly or buy a lot of foreign goods so I doubt it will make much difference, it would actually be good news for exporters, they care more about controlling immigration. If Brexit led to mass unemployment that might change things a bit but a fall in the currency won't
    So my friends then. Many who do work in the City, live in London or work in media and consulting in town.

My WhatsApp is going to go apeshit.
  • Options

...of the sort that make WilliamGlenn look like Bill Cash...

LOL!
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    "exude"? they have shown no inkling of the concept
  • Options
    welshowl said:

SeanT said:

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

I.

Isn't the more likely British public reaction to be more of us to telling them to go forth and multiply?

Even if they "succeeded" in scaring us back in- what's the point? They'd have got themselves embittered millions who'd rightly feel humiliated and betrayed. It would be taken out on the EU in future. I dread to think where that leads, I really do.
    Yes, if you threaten the Brits you get the exact opposite effect. They don't know us.

But it maximises the chances of us timing out with no deal, or a very basic deal. Like an emergency passport, Tesco Value pack of sausages, SIM only phone contract, or 'Leccy on a pay-as-you go card.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

So my friends then. Many who do work in the City, live in London or work in media and consulting in town.

Most of them voted Remain anyway
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited January 2017
    Is it just me or does Corbyn need less advisors and maybe more needing a care worker to help the guy when he gets confused?

Off topic, I know some suggest I'm a bit wacko when I claim that the Russians have Trump in their pocket with info about him both regarding his links to Russian money and his leisure activities.

This evening CNN are reporting that there is credible info that the Russians have compromising financial and personal info on Donald.

Question is, who is leaking this stuff?

• Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I guess it must do, by law. But when is that? What's the process? Does a PM go to Brussels to sign a document, as with Lisbon? I'm not expecting you to know, just curious.

I believe the document gets approved by QMV in the Council and needs 'consent' from the Parliament (presumably a majority vote). It doesn't require ratification like a treaty. To actually extend the negotiation period requires unanimity in the Council. There will be political pressure on the EU side to get it out of the way before the next European elections so it doesn't negatively impact them.

But what is our precise definition? When Strasbourg votes, or Westminster? Or what?

I'm not trying to be awkward, just removing grey areas which could cause grief. I know we have downscaled our bet, but a thousand quid is still a thousand quid, not to be sniffed at. It's the cost of a decent lunch for two at Kaspar's in the Savoy.
    I think David Herdson nails it here. It would be the earlier of the date in the agreement, or 2 years after Article 50 if there's no agreement or extension.

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/1394765/#Comment_1394765

Basically you win if there's an amicable divorce, or if there's a car crash with no deal, and I win if negotiations go into 2020, or Brexit is abandoned, or a long-term transition that involves staying in the EU past the end of 2019.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Question for PB Remainers: aren't you even SLIGHTLY excited by the possibilities of Brexit? The reviving of Westminster politics? The new and unexpected potentialities?

I get that convinced EU-federalists like williamglenn see Brexit as an evil, from which nothing good can come, which only destroys his European identity, but the more moderate Remainers must, surely, occasionally, thrill to the idea of freedom, or at least see the good in repatriating all these powers to our Mother of Parliaments?

No?

Not particularly. We always were sovereign and will likely sacrifice great dollops of it in any agreement we reach plus there will be an economic cost which will hit those who can least afford it the most, even though people may well not notice.

And I don't believe that economic cost is a "price worth paying" because I believe the reclamation of sovereignty, especially in this complicated, interconnected world where nations do deals with other nations for mutual benefit, is largely illusory.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

They all did. But I have to listen to it daily.
  • Options

welshowl said:

SeanT said:

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

I.

Yes, if you threaten the Brits you get the exact opposite effect. They don't know us.

But it maximises the chances of us timing out with no deal, or a very basic deal. Like an emergency passport, Tesco Value pack of sausages, SIM only phone contract, or 'Leccy on a pay-as-you go card.
    I don't think SIM only belongs in that company, but I guess its inclusion speaks to you.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

welshowl said:

SeanT said:

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

I.

I don't think SIM only belongs in that company, but I guess its inclusion speaks to you.
    SIM only is the Casino Royale Brexit Dream: it's cheaper and more flexible.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    They will always have power in The assembley because of the split opposition. They purposley made it that way.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Is it just me or does Corbyn need less advisors and maybe more needing a care worker to help the guy when he gets confused?

Off topic, I know some suggest I'm a bit wacko when I claim that the Russians have Trump in their pocket with info about him both regarding his links to Russian money and his leisure activities.

This evening CNN are reporting that there is credible info that the Russians have compromising financial and personal info on Donald.

"leaking" or "making it up". How does CNN determine credibility? Did Hilary miss a trick? I've heard it said she does occasionally
  • Options
    nunu said:

Scott_P said:
    They will always have power in The assembley because of the split opposition. They purposley made it that way.
    That plan worked a treat in Scotland!
  • Options
    edited January 2017

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

But what is our precise definition? When Strasbourg votes, or Westminster? Or what?

I'm not trying to be awkward, just removing grey areas which could cause grief. I know we have downscaled our bet, but a thousand quid is still a thousand quid, not to be sniffed at. It's the cost of a decent lunch for two at Kaspar's in the Savoy.
    I think David Herdson nails it here. It would be the earlier of the date in the agreement, or 2 years after Article 50 if there's no agreement or extension.

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/1394765/#Comment_1394765

Basically you win if there's an amicable divorce, or if there's a car crash with no deal, and I win if negotiations go into 2020, or Brexit is abandoned, or a long-term transition that involves staying in the EU past the end of 2019.
    Why not agree on an arbitrator/judge from the site who's decision will be final in the event of a dispute.

No shortage of lawyers here. Or of generally fair-minded people, for that matter.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    The currency scenario is certainly plausible - we've been close to parity with the euro (late 2008) and the dollar (mid 1980s) on previous occasions but the thing to remember with the EU is that it isn't a single entity.

It's 27 different nations with differing perspectives and different relationships of varying importance with the UK. It shouldn't take a genius to press the right buttons when it comes to playing them off against each other if/when they become contrary.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Anorak said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Why not agree on an arbitrator/judge from the site who's decision will be final in the event of a dispute.

No shortage of lawyers here. Or of generally fair-minded people, for that matter.
    I would be very fair-minded for, say, 10% of the winnings.

Edit: that was a JOKE!!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

Well they will just have to get used to being on the losing side for once
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

I
    I think you're almost entirely right. That's how I see it. The pound could easily hit parity against the euro and dollar. Or lower.

I demur on one point. I think the EU has abandoned hope of the UK changing its mind. This won't be an attempt to make us revote, it will just be hard cheese we have to eat, as the EU dictates the pace, being the larger more powerful party (albeit with their own divisions and faultlines).

However, I also expect the EU to compromise, to an extent, in the end. There will be a fudge, where both sides can plausibly claim success. No one will be happy. But we will be Out. And then we can rebuild, as a free country, with fresh horizons.
    I think EU leaders like Merkel (and prob Fillion) know the UK won't change its mind.
    At an institutional level I don't think they think of it that way. It's much more cold and constitutional - the treaty is the treaty and any fudge can only exist in that paradigm. If an individual country's internal politics hits the buffers, it's that country that has a problem, and if the domestic political pressures prove impossible to bear, they are very used to dealing with a revolving door of new Prime Ministers until the logic of the situation sinks in.

It's why even now we'd be better off building an EU wide consensus to change the things 'we' don't like rather than thinking we can apply pressure to extract a cherry-picked deal.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

welshowl said:

SeanT said:

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

I.

SIM only is the Casino Royale Brexit Dream: it's cheaper and more flexible.
    then it seems substantially out of place with the other metaphors
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited January 2017
    What were the headline numbers from ICM's January poll? I can't seem to find it on the Guardian website?
  • Options

nunu said:

Scott_P said:
    That plan worked a treat in Scotland!
    in spades!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

May won't compromise. And neither will they. So the markets will gradually wake up to the fact May actually means it, and so dthe consequences as possible.

Well they will just have to get used to being on the losing side for once
    "People who work in the City, live in London or work in media and consulting in town", be assured, won't be on the losing side from Brexit.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

why don't you toss a coin now and have done with it?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

I think most Brits don't really care that much about the currency except if they work in the City or go abroad regularly or buy a lot of foreign goods so I doubt it will make much difference, ...
    Bloody hell. That would have been an excellent point when Wilson made his "pound in your pocket" speech. Do you think the peasantry all still flock to Blackpool during wakes week for their hols? And that their iphones and cars and plasma tvs are hand-crafted in the Midlands?
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

I think most Brits don't really care that much about the currency except if they work in the City or go abroad regularly or buy a lot of foreign goods...
    What, like petrol?
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    If its of interest to anyone
    Talking to a friend in the labour party today. Hearing lots of reports of longstanding members who have finally had it with Corbyn and cancelling their direct debit/tearing up their membership cards.
    £60 per year too high a price to pay to stay in the party to support a leader they dont agree with. One guy is starting a part time masters and downgrading his membership to student membership which is only £1 per month.
    These are all middle class public sector professionals.
    People seem to be resigned to the death of the labour party.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

I think most Brits don't really care that much about the currency except if they work in the City or go abroad regularly or buy a lot of foreign goods...
    What, like petrol?
    It costs about 55p a litre.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

I

At an institutional level I don't think they think of it that way. It's much more cold and constitutional - the treaty is the treaty and any fudge can only exist in that paradigm. If an individual country's internal politics hits the buffers, it's that country that has a problem, and if the domestic political pressures prove impossible to bear, they are very used to dealing with a revolving door of new Prime Ministers until the logic of the situation sinks in.

It's why even now we'd be better off building an EU wide consensus to change the things 'we' don't like rather than thinking we can apply pressure to extract a cherry-picked deal.
    Isn't cherry picking done by EU workers?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited January 2017
    GIN1138 said:

What were the headline numbers from ICM's January poll? I can't seem to find it on the Guardian website?

Have found it on Mike's Twitter - Conservatives still on for a landslide!

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/818485868671406080
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited January 2017

Y0kel said:

"leaking" or "making it up". How does CNN determine credibility? Did Hilary miss a trick? I've heard it said she does occasionally
    This shit isn't made up, I was posting about it before the election even happened. In fact the two things I suggested were financial links to dodgy money and Trump's leisure pursuits. Intelligence on Trumps links to Russia goes back a fair while, like years. Thats what is coming out now.

Two reason why it didn't get the exposure

1. There was an expectation Trump would lose but now he has won, the reality that he has been bought by a country that considers the USA an opponent is too urgent to ignore.

2. To have released the info publicly in the election cycle would have been a whole new ball game for the US domestic intelligence agencies. Contrary to what some think, they do tread very cautiously

I should note that the GOP were passed warnings about Trump by contacts within the intelligence agencies from quite a bit out.

Trump's teams met with Russian cut outs during the election for example. And it wasn't for cocktails. You've got suggestions that Russian intelligence was looking at state electoral rolls

I said the other night the question was whether the spooks could truly muster themselves to try to bring Trump down. It is a very difficult situation for them.

It looks, however, like they are going to give it a go but success is not certain.
This discussion has been closed.