Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump goes on the offensive against the media – a sign of the

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited January 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump goes on the offensive against the media – a sign of the next four years?

With just nine days to go till his inauguration Donald Trump has held a major press conference dealing with how his business interests will operate while he’s in the White House, the Mexican wall and who’ll pay for it, and, of course. the revelations in the past 24 hours about his alleged relationship with Russia and what is said to have gone on in that hotel room.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    1st like HR Clinton in the popular vote.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    2nd
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,964
    Wonder if CNN will even be invited to the White House press briefings.
  • Options
    It's not a sustainable strategy without a degree of popularity. He needs quick wins or he is going to find himself in trouble.
  • Options

And like having a first on PB, it doesn't really count for much!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,058

Get up to date scott,the government have already dismissed this.

Doesn't a dismissal imply that there is no plan to leave the single market? Otherwise why treat European countries differently?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

It's not a sustainable strategy without a degree of popularity. He needs quick wins or he is going to find himself in trouble.

We all should worry about a world trade war than trump with the media.
  • Options
    I wonder if some obscure part of the US security services will kill him off. He clearly cannot take the pressure of the job and he hasn't even started his Presidency yet! If / when one of the United States many enemies provoke him he could unleash Armageddon that engulfs all of humanity.
  • Options
    Taps mic....sniff sniff...WRONNNNNNNNG FAKE NEWWWWS .
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    He is going to feature on Songs of Praise!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08bb6rg
  • Options

Well, watching that prezzer - which was quite a thing, I have to say - I did wonder how on earth we are going to get a favourable trade deal out of the US.

• Options
    FAKE PB THREAD

:lol:
  • Options

You mean 1st like LEAVE in the popular vote? ;)
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    isam said:

He is going to feature on Songs of Praise!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08bb6rg

Now that is an actual WTAF.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Obama leaves on an approval rating of 55%

he did bugger all
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    The Crisis of the Third Century was interesting ;)
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited January 2017
    'At least it’s going to be interesting'

It’s going to be as entertaining as hell, - the press barons will not know what hit them. :lol:
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

What sort of trouble? He's in the job for four years barring an unprecedented outbreak of patriotism and honour replacing narrow partisanship from Republicans.

In the meantime he can continue to market his steaks (note the product placement at today's launch) , get foreign dignitaries to overpay for rooms at his hotels and help out his buddy Putin.
  • Options

he did bugger all

What can I say? Clearly the majority of Americans disagree.

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Get up to date scott,the government have already dismissed this.

Doesn't a dismissal imply that there is no plan to leave the single market? Otherwise why treat European countries differently?
    My guess is it's all part of Mays cards-to-the-chest strategy rather than an omen as important as that. I'll reiterate my view that we're being incredibly parochial on the Single Market issue. It's a club that requires any member to sign up to all the rules. We might very well want to stay in the Single Market, to which the EU27 response will be 'Fuck right off'.
  • Options

Well, watching that prezzer - which was quite a thing, I have to say - I did wonder how on earth we are going to get a favourable trade deal out of the US.

We won't. If we cannot get one with the rest of the EU, what are the chances with the US? Also, one has to look at what consumer demand prefers. I don't see British people changing their tastes to US wine, Cheese or some of the other products they make as they are inferior to the pallet. Likewise, who would have an American car when you could have a BMW or Merc.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @CJH_News: The BBC's Paul Wood, a respected foreign correspondent, says he has another source claiming multiple #Trump tapes exist. This story has legs
  • Options

Yes, LEAVE did win. Just think how that £350 million a week is going to stave off the current NHS crisis.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    I note that sterling ended up against the USD with a huge swing the moment that the Trump freak show started. Waits to be told that this is all planned by Trump and that he's cleverer than all of us.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

he did bugger all

Thought Conservatives liked people who did bugger all.
  • Options

he did bugger all

he hasnt upset anyone since he hasnt done much
  • Options
    BBC says its a spook quoting another spook
  • Options
    The point is, as with all great hoaxes, even if it isn't true, it's wholly believable. You wouldn't be surprised if this was just the beginning.
  • Options

We won't. If we cannot get one with the rest of the EU, what are the chances with the US? Also, one has to look at what consumer demand prefers. I don't see British people changing their tastes to US wine, Cheese or some of the other products they make as they are inferior to the pallet. Likewise, who would have an American car when you could have a BMW or Merc.

A favourable deal for us with the US involves much freer access to the US market for our services industries. Problem with that is that these are sectors in which the US is also very strong. Given we are 60 million and they are 350 million, there is little incentive for them to make life tougher for themselves because the reward (ie, much freer access to the UK market) is not exactly huge. And after what Trump said today about the Americans being far too soft in the past, the idea that we will get something *just because* is far-fetched, to say the least.

• Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    There is presumably not the faintest chance that a republican house and senate would even consider impeaching him, which means in reality videos could come out with footage of him playing golf with satan, and aside from knocking his already dire ratings a bit, make no practical difference.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

he did bugger all

What does an approval rating mean for someone leaving office? I think it tells you what voters think of him as a person, not as a President, as he is no longer relevant in presidential terms.

I would hazard a guess that if Obama had four more years of governing ahead of him at this point, all else unchanged, his approval ratings would not be 55%
  • Options

Yes, LEAVE did win. Just think how that £350 million a week is going to stave off the current NHS crisis.
    Far fetched as this is going to sound, I don't believe it myself, but wouldn't it be something if, when we do leave, the PM thinks "Fuck it, I am going to give the NHS £350m a week for a while".. the blood would be on the hands of the filibusters!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@CJH_News: The BBC's Paul Wood, a respected foreign correspondent, says he has another source claiming multiple #Trump tapes exist. This story has legs

Course it has legs. Will it do him any harm? How much lower can he go in terms of polling? When someone is so tarnished I don't think it makes that much difference as he will always have die hard support. If there is a sex tape I would not be surprised if Trump tried to sell it from one of his companies! The reasoning is if someone is going to make money out of it - it might as well be him!
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Does anyone think there's actual tapes of Trump, that the Clinton machine didn't find during their research of the guy over the summer?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

I wonder if some obscure part of the US security services will kill him off. He clearly cannot take the pressure of the job and he hasn't even started his Presidency yet! If / when one of the United States many enemies provoke him he could unleash Armageddon that engulfs all of humanity.

Is that what the so called Liberals are striving for- the assassination of their President - because he doesn't conform to their ideas?
  • Options
    matt said:

The point is, as with all great hoaxes, even if it isn't true, it's wholly believable. You wouldn't be surprised if this was just the beginning.
    People falling over themselves to believe bad things about someone they don't like is not a great look.. especially if it is qualified by "even if it isn't true, it's wholly believable"

Sounds a bit Alf Garnett-ish to me
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Course it has legs. Will it do him any harm? How much lower can he go in terms of polling? When someone is so tarnished I don't think it makes that much difference as he will always have die hard support. If there is a sex tape I would not be surprised if Trump tried to sell it from one of his companies! The reasoning is if someone is going to make money out of it - it might as well be him!

Not sure about that. It will harm him in Congress and that could really hurt. If he becomes a complete liability to the GOP - or the Dems win in 2018 - he may not complete his four year term.

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    edited January 2017

It is not just the palate. It is growth hormone in beef, chlorine blanched chicken and the rest of the delightful US practices in manufacturing food.

It is also the ISDS court which makes the ECJ look the epitome of democratic justice.

In any trade agreement with the US, the US interests will completely dominate because of our relative sizes and US practices. It would make a total mockery of "Take Back Control".
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    isam said:

matt said:

People falling over themselves to believe bad things about someone they don't like is not a great look.. especially if it is qualified by "even if it isn't true, it's wholly believable"

2016 was dominated by Leavers and Trumpets telling us that it wasn't what was true that was important, it was what they felt. They can hardly complain if in 2017 their opponents have the same impulses.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

he did bugger all

Where do you get the idea he hasn't done much?
    You might not like it... But there's been a ton of stuff done.

Obamacare probably the biggest piece of legislation for a generation.
    Enormous stimulus package.
    Wall Street reform, ended Iraq war, killed bin Laden, saved GM, repealed don't ask don't tell, transformed student loans, Iran nuclear deal, appointed two supreme court judges, reopened relations with Cuba...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Does anyone think there's actual tapes of Trump, that the Clinton machine didn't find during their research of the guy over the summer?
    I remember when the Washington Post launched an investigation into Trump and got a 25-year old tape of him pretending to be his own publicist, which he probably leaked to them himself. Then again, it's not as if the Clinton machine or the mainstream media have shown themselves to be particularly competent over the past year or so.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

isam said:

matt said:

2016 was dominated by Leavers and Trumpets telling us that it wasn't what was true that was important, it was what they felt. They can hardly complain if in 2017 their opponents have the same impulses.
    Was it?

If your first principle is to take a view on someone, and then see EVERYTHING though that prism it doesn't make for objective analysis, and can lead to embarrassing errors.
  • Options

Shame we are stuck in the EU for another 2 years then ;)
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

he did bugger all

Wall Street reform, ended Iraq war, killed bin Laden, saved GM, repealed don't ask don't tell, transformed student loans, Iran nuclear deal, appointed two supreme court judges, reopened relations with Cuba...
    Obama care will be unpicked. stimulus just made rich people richer, wall st reform guffaw etc

Not so much FDR as GFR
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Is that what the so called Liberals are striving for- the assassination of their President - because he doesn't conform to their ideas?
    Well, if you look at it objectively he threatens the whole established economic system. He may also cause world peace to collapse through his unpredictable behaviour. Other figures in history have been targeted for their extreme views i.e. Hitler. I don't think that you have woken up to how extreme and potentially dangerous Trump might be.
  • Options

isam said:

matt said:

DIdn't you do your own share of it last year ?
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

he did bugger all

Obama care will be unpicked. stimulus just made rich people richer, wall st reform guffaw etc

Not so much FDR as GFR

He did stuff and he has not upset people. Sounds like a decent combination to me.

• Options
    This from the Mail on Line:

It was me: Sworn Trump enemy John McCain admits HE handed smear dossier to FBI - as details surface of document's bizarre journey from British former spy and diplomat

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4108960/How-Trump-s-nemesis-John-McCain-kicked-Kremlin-memo-scandal-handing-dossier-FBI-sending-emissary-abroad-collect-it.html#ixzz4VTo9mmee
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,328

I doubt it'll be concluded during Trump's time in office.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

he did bugger all

Not so much FDR as GFR

He did stuff and he has not upset people. Sounds like a decent combination to me.

Admit it you voted for Cameron
  • Options

I doubt it'll be concluded during Trump's time in office.

That could be over before we leave the EU, to be fair.

• Options
    John_M said:

I'll reiterate my view that we're being incredibly parochial on the Single Market issue. It's a club that requires any member to sign up to all the rules. We might very well want to stay in the Single Market, to which the EU27 response will be 'Fuck right off'.

Which is precisely why were are heading for an inevitable political crisis. May clearly believes she can use the bluff of hard Brexit to extract a deal that allows her to cherry-pick.
  • Options

MikeK said:

Well, if you look at it objectively he threatens the whole established economic system. He may also cause world peace to collapse through his unpredictable behaviour. Other figures in history have been targeted for their extreme views i.e. Hitler. I don't think that you have woken up to how extreme and potentially dangerous Trump might be.
    Is Trump literally Hitler?
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Sandpit said:

I remember when the Washington Post launched an investigation into Trump and got a 25-year old tape of him pretending to be his own publicist, which he probably leaked to them himself. Then again, it's not as if the Clinton machine or the mainstream media have shown themselves to be particularly competent over the past year or so.
    Surely 'BBC....,a respected Foreign Journalist' is an oxymoron these days.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    RobD said:

MikeK said:

No but he is KKKompromised
  • Options

MikeK said:

It show just how whacky and biased you are when you compare Trump to Hitler.
    Trump doesn't even have a political party supporting him and I don't see Trump storm troops on the streets.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Looks like Trump has caught CNN and Buzzfeed bang to rights to me.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Down a whole SIX points from opening (if that's where the graph is plotted from). Economic disaster.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

RobD said:

MikeK said:

Rubbish and lying nonsense, Freggles.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

RobD said:

MikeK said:

You are James Ellory and I claim mafia, casino led murders. Oh.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    RobD said:

Wonder if CNN will even be invited to the White House press briefings.

Didn't Obama ban a well-respected American Journalist from the White House for asking awkward questions?
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

he did bugger all

Not so much FDR as GFR

The only time I voted for a Cameron platform he lost :-D

• Options
    RobD said:

MikeK said:

I hope he is not like Hitler but who knows? He has been elected on a nationalistic ticket, that is his mandate. He campaigned as a Nationalist - He will govern as one. Again and again he makes decisions that are grounded in nationalistic sentiment. I think people have got too used to politicians like Tony Blair, Bill Clinton and David Cameron. Trump is going to do what he says and that fills me with fear. I think he will end up taking the world into World war III.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    edited January 2017

MikeK said:

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Scott_P said:
    He started off with some pointed comments about the pharmaceutical industry, described it as full of lobbyists and taking advantage of a monopoly in their home market.

That x-axis is both messed up in the centre and has a wildly exaggerated scale. The index went down 8 points, 0.3%, hardly a crash.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

he did bugger all

Not so much FDR as GFR

The only time I voted for a Cameron platform he lost :-D

Ugh, you voted for AV? Disgusting!
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

htts://twitter.com/ninjaeconomics/status/819253037998817281

Down a whole SIX points from opening (if that's where the graph is plotted from). Economic disaster.
    I expect the person who tweeted it was an expert.

• Options

John_M said:

I'll reiterate my view that we're being incredibly parochial on the Single Market issue. It's a club that requires any member to sign up to all the rules. We might very well want to stay in the Single Market, to which the EU27 response will be 'Fuck right off'.

Which is precisely why were are heading for an inevitable political crisis. May clearly believes she can use the bluff of hard Brexit to extract a deal that allows her to cherry-pick.
    the joy of constantly predicting a disaster is that one day you will be right. It's a bit like saying you will die tomorrow.

Ignore the facts that economic crises are part of the human condition, a bit like death, and you will be proved right.

It's just a shame about the other 200,000 predictions you got wrong.
  • Options

RobD said:

MikeK said:

I hope he is not like Hitler but who knows? He has been elected on a nationalistic ticket, that is his mandate. He campaigned as a Nationalist - He will govern as one. Again and again he makes decisions that are grounded in nationalistic sentiment. I think people have got too used to politicians like Tony Blair, Bill Clinton and David Cameron. Trump is going to do what he says and that fills me with fear. I think he will end up taking the world into World war III.
    I'd love to see you in uniform. You'd sh*t yourself before the first day was out.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

htts://twitter.com/ninjaeconomics/status/819253037998817281

I expect the person who tweeted it was an expert.

Certainly puts the Treasury fear mongering to shame. :p
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2017
    Worth noting, I seemed to remember a load of journos were banging on about tapes of trump saying the N word etc.

One has to wonder if all these tapes exist why they didn't leak during the campaign, especially after the damage grab them by the pussy did. I have to say when we got that tape I was expecting an avalanche of them.
  • Options
    Can someone explain what CNN has done wrong?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Trump doesn't even have a political party supporting him and I don't see Trump storm troops on the streets.
    He hijacked the Republican party. Just because I do not stick my head in the sand like you doesn't make my opinion whacky. I look forward to you eating your words in the future when Trump screws everything up.
  • Options

MikeK said:

I don't think anyone else can currently be compared to Hitler apart from Trumps friend Putin.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Scott, that's an embarrassment of a tweet that does the Remain cause no good at all.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2017
    Oh shit...Islamic terrorist attack underway in Spain. Gunman shooting in a supermarket with suicide vest.
  • Options

RobD said:

MikeK said:

Plain ludicrous

we all know invoking A50 will start WW3 before Trump even gets settled in
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Scott, that's an embarrassment of a tweet that does the Remain cause no good at all.
    It's up there with the enormous 79p per head per annum EU subsidy in Wales :). The stock market fell 6 points. Somebody hold me, I'm frightened.
  • Options

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

He hijacked the Republican party. Just because I do not stick my head in the sand like you doesn't make my opinion whacky. I look forward to you eating your words in the future when Trump screws everything up.
    Oh, and Obama didn't screw up plenty with Russia, The Middle East, Iran, Ukraine and the USA itself?
  • Options

I think the argument is they went balls deep (I think that's the term) into this story.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

RobD said:

MikeK said:

I'd love to see you in uniform. You'd sh*t yourself before the first day was out.
    I would be of no use in uniform and they would not want me to serve anyway. Just because someone tells you to do something, doesn't mean you have to do it. Maybe you are stupid enough to follow orders but .......
  • Options

RobD said:

MikeK said:

Plain ludicrous

A50 is the successor to Trident.

There, I've just saved us a bunch of money we can spend on the NHS.
  • Options

Oh shit...Islamic terrorist attack underway in Spain. Gunman shooting in a supermarket with suicide vest.

2017 off to a great start.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

I'm still not sure there would be a massive smoking gun on Trump, that someone sat on through the nastiest and most decisive election campaign in modern American history. Someone would have published it somewhere and followed up hard on social media if the mainstream press didn't want to go there.

Even the story as published today could have taken up a couple of days of the campaign. In the era before anyone started talking about fake news, it might have swung a few votes.
  • Options

RobD said:

MikeK said:

Plain ludicrous

Doesn't matter. We'll all be dead because the NHS will have collapsed by March.
  • Options

MikeK said:

I don't think anyone else can currently be compared to Hitler apart from Trumps friend Putin.
    Now you've upset the North Koreans
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    LOL
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    Speaking of fake news I have just been reading a book called 'I never knew that about England.' It includes gems such as a man born in Gloucestershire in 1732 emigrated to America and signed the Declaration of Independence. He was killed in a duel a year later. His signature is the the most valuable in the world - one recently fetched nearly $800,000. His name was Button Gwinnett. But the book also claims that George Bush was a Quaker - surely not!
  • Options
    edited January 2017

They've spent the whole day ramping the Buzzfeed story hard, while most of the other networks have been rather general and circumspect in their reporting of it. Trump has been calling them the Clinton News Network for ages, so they're hardly best of friends anyway.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

MikeK said:

Plain ludicrous

A50 is the successor to Trident.

There, I've just saved us a bunch of money we can spend on the NHS.
    can we base it in Scotland just to upset wee Mrs McTurnip ?
  • Options
    F*ck it, lets just go the whole hog and be part of the new Russia-USA alliance, noone is going to f*ck with that.

Where's your defence NOW Germany :)
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    John_M said:

RobD said:

MikeK said:

Plain ludicrous

I think you'll find we only have 24 hours.

It's like a bad TV show that's forever on repeat.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,992

Scott_P said:

Not sure about that. It will harm him in Congress and that could really hurt. If he becomes a complete liability to the GOP - or the Dems win in 2018 - he may not complete his four year term.

There will never be a sufficient GOP majority in Congress to impeach Trump and the Democrats would need to win the Senate as well as the House to have even a chance of doing so
  • Options

John_M said:

the joy of constantly predicting a disaster is that one day you will be right. It's a bit like saying you will die tomorrow.

Ignore the facts that economic crises are part of the human condition, a bit like death, and you will be proved right.

Mr Brooke, could you point me to a single prediction I've made of economic disaster? I'm predicting a political crisis with a precise timescale, not an economic one.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

F*ck it, lets just go the whole hog and be part of the new Russia-USA alliance, noone is going to f*ck with that.

Where's your defence NOW Germany :)

Ha. we'll piss on Mrs Merkel and her acolytes

oh wait
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I'm still not sure there would be a massive smoking gun on Trump, that someone sat on through the nastiest and most decisive election campaign in modern American history. Someone would have published it somewhere and followed up hard on social media if the mainstream press didn't want to go there.

Even the story as published today could have taken up a couple of days of the campaign. In the era before anyone started talking about fake news, it might have swung a few votes.
    Ye this is plain horseshit driven by those with anti-Russian neo-liberal agendas in the CIA with some outside mates in politics and the press. Who probably DID vote for Hillary lets face it (Check out the DC result ;) )

I think Trump is right on this one.
  • Options

John_M said:

Mr Brooke, could you point me to a single prediction I've made of economic disaster? I'm predicting a political crisis with a precise timescale, not an economic one.
    precise to the nearest century
  • Options

John_M said:

RobD said:

MikeK said:

Plain ludicrous

I think you'll find we only have 24 hours.

It's like a bad TV show that's forever on repeat.
    A50 has a 45 minute capability

Tony Blair says so
This discussion has been closed.