Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump goes on the offensive against the media – a sign of the

124»

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029
    Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

MTimT said:

Y0kel said:

Just bear in mind, Orbis' work sets the hare running.

There is more detail and supporting info on Trumps relationship with the Russians, information held directly by Western agencies. Anyone thinks that they have just some stuff about his leisure pursuits in Moscow ..once...is like watching a film trailer and thinking the rest of the film will be as brilliant.

I did mention, twice on here if I recall correctly, that there was a rumour that an ostensibly friendly agency put out a buy request on the compromising material they believed was in someone's vault.

Doesn't sound so outlandish now, does it.

Y0kel I respect you and you have posted a lot of useful stuff here. But I am having difficulty getting fully on board with this one. I'll wait until something truly concrete drops before deciding to get on board.
    Based on the info so far, I get that, lot of dust going up around it.

Intelligence agencies trying to drop a president in it, they aren't going to just release it all. They can't. What does become clear is that certainly the GOP hierarchy was warned off about Trump by US agencies, which is possibly what triggered some of their number paying up to look into it and this now released report.

Based on what I've researched, the US has a president in a hostile nation's pocket, thats about it.
    If the intelligence community wanted to sabotage a detente with Russia, isn't this the kind of thing they'd fabricate?
    Why fabricate whats already there?
    Where? Disinformation is a tool just as much as information.

So much of this sounds preposterous to me. A 'buy request' on the material? Are you suggesting that if the Russians had such material they would sell it to a Western intelligence agency?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

My God, Trump is hilarious.

Scary, but hilarious.

The one thing the story has done is to completely eclipse Obama's farewell speech
    A little bit of me slightly admires Trump for telling parts of the media to simply F off. And part of me slightly thrills to his taboo-breaking.

A larger part of me is worried he might start a nuclear war. Hey ho.
    The only other proper nuclear power is Russia though.

And he is besties with Putin.
    It seems that he doesn't like china that much though ;-)
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

philiph said:

Y0kel said:

MTimT said:

Y0kel said:

There is more detail and supporting info on Trumps relationship with the Russians, information held directly by Western agencies. Anyone thinks that they have just some stuff about his leisure pursuits in Moscow ..once...is like watching a film trailer and thinking the rest of the film will be as brilliant.

I did mention, twice on here if I recall correctly, that there was a rumour that an ostensibly friendly agency put out a buy request on the compromising material they believed was in someone's vault.

Y0kel I respect you and you have posted a lot of useful stuff here. But I am having difficulty getting fully on board with this one. I'll wait until something truly concrete drops before deciding to get on board.

Intelligence agencies trying to drop a president in it, they aren't going to just release it all. They can't. What does become clear is that certainly the GOP hierarchy was warned off about Trump by US agencies, which is possibly what triggered some of their number paying up to look into it and this now released report.

Based on what I've researched, the US has a president in a hostile nation's pocket, thats about it.
    Rather perversely, Trump doesn't give an angels fart in damnation about accusations, rumour or published facts. He will bluster, rebuff and ignore.

Edit.I an trying to say: He is so compromised he can't be compromised
    That only works if he is in control of his own destiny. With anyone, if enough shit piles up they loser that ability to decide, others take it.
    Corbyn seems to defy that logic
    Corbyn is a small time waster, he can defy whatever, doesn't change the fundamental.
    That makes no sense. If even a "small time waster" can defy the logic, then so, a fortiori, can the world's most powerful man.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited January 2017

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Scary, but hilarious.

The one thing the story has done is to completely eclipse Obama's farewell speech
    A little bit of me slightly admires Trump for telling parts of the media to simply F off. And part of me slightly thrills to his taboo-breaking.

It seems that he doesn't like china that much though ;-)
    Russia and China as besties who hate USA is seriously bad news for USA. Working together they can inflict more damage than the sum of the parts on USA.

Spliting Russia and China who share a close and common ideology of hating American dominace is potentially good news for USA in a global power game.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,579
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Do the D notices apply to PB?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yes, but the D-Notice has been withdrawn.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited January 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

philiph said:

Y0kel said:

MTimT said:

Y0kel said:

Rather perversely, Trump doesn't give an angels fart in damnation about accusations, rumour or published facts. He will bluster, rebuff and ignore.

Edit.I an trying to say: He is so compromised he can't be compromised
    That only works if he is in control of his own destiny. With anyone, if enough shit piles up they loser that ability to decide, others take it.
    Corbyn seems to defy that logic
    Corbyn is a small time waster, he can defy whatever, doesn't change the fundamental.
    That makes no sense. If even a "small time waster" can defy the logic, then so, a fortiori, can the world's most powerful man.
    Not if their view of what is their destiny is to be a permanent protester rather than a doer and a changer.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

RobD said:

The one on Guido looked like a generic order that means you can't publish the name of any former agent. Was there a specific one for this case?

Actually, what Guido posted looks more like a reminder of a standing order.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Scary, but hilarious.

Simples - they gang up on China - or the Islamic world

Shouldn't give him ideas I suppose

• Options
    So I wonder then about the reports from BBC journalists on this suggesting there is perhaps more than one incident, more than one compromising situation.

What if its more, not just about his leisure activities. Just, more.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    edited January 2017
    RobD said:

RobD said:

The one on Guido looked like a generic order that means you can't publish the name of any former agent. Was there a specific one for this case?
    The position is you can't publish without first seeking the Defence and Security Media Advisory team's advice and consent, consent has been given, albeit post hoc.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

RobD said:

RobD said:

The position is you can't publish without first seeking the Defence and Security Media Advisory team's advice and consent, consent has been given, albeit post hoc.
    Ah, right you are.
  • Options
    John_M said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Scary, but hilarious.

Nuclear release procedures do take into account that the initiator might have become unhinged in one way or another. You can't just rock up to the office and press the button because someone burnt your porridge. I'm sure you're not really worried, but others might be!
    After 9/ 11 my son had a crying school teacher tell her class that the Americans were going to cause WW3.

She didn't seem overly concerned WHY the Americans might be pissed

Funnily enough younger son got told that Trump was going to start WW3 by a teacher.

What is it with the teaching profession :-)
  • Options
    Brilliant headline in the Metro tomorrow!!

What a shower!!!

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    What seems odd to me is that all aspects of the Trump story are being given equal weight, but surely the possibility that he's in effect a Russian agent is a lot more significant than that he took part in a golden shower thing with prostitutes. Even though most us go yuck about that, I think the BBC reporter was wrong in saying that the details, if published, would finish him. The pussy-grabbing thing actually seems more offensive - more aggressive, exploitative, and an explicit pleasure in misuse of power. And he sailed through all that. But if the Manchurian Candidate stuff were believed, that really would damage him.
  • Options
    Looking at Metro to try and find front page got this story

http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/10/italian-model-claims-shes-a-little-tired-after-first-stop-on-her-oral-sex-tour-6371701/

apparently she is "thanking " people who voted no in the referendum...........
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2017

What seems odd to me is that all aspects of the Trump story are being given equal weight, but surely the possibility that he's in effect a Russian agent is a lot more significant than that he took part in a golden shower thing with prostitutes. Even though most us go yuck about that, I think the BBC reporter was wrong in saying that the details, if published, would finish him. The pussy-grabbing thing actually seems more offensive - more aggressive, exploitative, and an explicit pleasure in misuse of power. And he sailed through all that. But if the Manchurian Candidate stuff were believed, that really would damage him.

I pointed out last night that the key claim (if true*) in 35 pages was that his team paid for Eastern European hackers under the control of the Russians i.e. so not only receiving dirt on his opponents, but actively funding the operation and handled by the Russians to hack US individuals.

Even before the grab em by the pussy, we already had stories of Trump attending sex parties with models / hookers and drugs galore. So Russian prozzies not exactly shocking.

*However, it seems that claim is likely untrue.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,292
    edited January 2017
    John_M said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Scary, but hilarious.

Nuclear release procedures do take into account that the initiator might have become unhinged in one way or another. You can't just rock up to the office and press the button because someone burnt your porridge. I'm sure you're not really worried, but others might be!
    Have you never seen 'The Dead Zone'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EO9y4rGxvk
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

John_M said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Scary, but hilarious.

Have you never see 'The Dead Zone'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EO9y4rGxvk
    I tweeted that I've started re-reading that novel not half an hour ago. One of King's best. I'm just going to assume you're being tongue in cheek - Hollywood doesn't have a good grasp on nuclear release protocols. Nor the intelligence services, now I come to think of it.
  • Options
    From the sun

"Grumpy Trumpy gets the Rumpy Pumpy Humpy "

What do people say about politicians being laughed at?

• Options
    Y0kel said:

So I wonder then about the reports from BBC journalists on this suggesting there is perhaps more than one incident, more than one compromising situation.

The original report was commissioned and paid for by political opponents of Trump in the US. If Christopher Steele went around his contacts offering money for information about whether they had compromising material on Trump and whether Trump was working for them, it seems self-evident that he will be able to find people who, for whatever reason, will say 'yes' and who will also have access to enough other relevant information to piece together a story that is superficially plausible. I think MonikerDiCanio has him bang to rights.
  • Options
    John_M said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Scary, but hilarious.

On this point, the President has the sole authority to authorise nuclear weapons. They'd have to be declared incapacitated for their order not to be valid.
  • Options

Y0kel said:

The original report was commissioned and paid for by political opponents of Trump in the US. If Christopher Steele went around his contacts offering money for information about whether they had compromising material on Trump and whether Trump was working for them, it seems self-evident that he will be able to find people who, for whatever reason, will say 'yes' and who will also have access to enough other relevant information to piece together a story that is superficially plausible. I think MonikerDiCanio has him bang to rights.
    No self respecting journalist would have published this as is. I sort of understand the public interest angle, but the allegations on their own are damaging, no matter if they are true or not.
  • Options

Y0kel said:

Lets call a spade a spade, Trump could piss on your loved ones in front of you and you'd still call it fake.

Intelligence agencies have been aware of possible issues with Trump and the Russians for YEARS. Steele's report was part triggered for commissioning because US agencies warned the GOP that Trump might have some significant difficulties as a candidate.

• Options
    Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Lets call a spade a spade, Trump could piss on your loved ones in front of you and you'd still call it fake.

Intelligence agencies have been aware of possible issues with Trump and the Russians for YEARS. Steele's report was part triggered for commissioning because US agencies warned the GOP that Trump might have some significant difficulties as a candidate.

That doesn't make this dossier any more believable.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I see Chelski are going to move to a new stadium. I thought that due to the weird way the Chelsea was setup that some fan trust owned the pitch area at Stamford Bridge to stop an owner flattening it and building housing? And the last time they raised prospects of moving those as part of the pitch owning trust said not over our dead body.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Floater said:

From the sun

"Grumpy Trumpy gets the Rumpy Pumpy Humpy "

What do people say about politicians being laughed at?

He's been laughed at many times e.g when he was tweeting early in the morning about that beauty queen. The same rules don't apply to him because people want to believe he will bring their jobs back.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    The most significant thing about Donald Trump's policies is also the most unremarked upon. He is proposing a massive change in tax policy.

Currently, companies operate in jurisdictions, and have legal entities, and those entities pay tax according to the profit they pay in said jurisdiction. So, Apple in the UK is taxes on the profit of Apple Retail (which happens to be zero). Under the new proposals, the US will evaluate goods at the border, decide how much profit the company selling them will make on them, and will levy corporate income tax on them. This will cover both countries that have free trade agreements with the US, and those that do not.

On the one hand, this is a (novel) way of getting around transfer pricing and multinational tax avoidance. On the other, it is a massive blow to free trade. Image a US company wanting to buy an ARM license: historically they might have to pay a tariff (they don’t actually, as this is an area where there is free trade between the EU and the US). Under the new Trump proposal, because ARM makes a 40% pre-tax margin, ARM will need to hand over 20% * $400,000 ($80,000) to the US government in income taxes to compensate the US government for the taxes it would have received had ARM been American.

Now, there are still a lot of questions about this: 1., is this compatible with the US government’s obligations under the World Trade Organisation treaties (I suspect not); 2., are taxes to be based on the selling company’s blended pre-tax profit margin, or will it be based on some guess estimate of profit on a case-by-case basis; and 3., what happens if other governments simply turn around to the US and impose a tax on (for example) Apple products sold in the UK?

It is worth noting that these provisions explicitly over-ride Free Trade Agreements. So, Canada will be subject to them, as would the UK were it to sign an FTA with the US. It is also worth noting that these plans are the ‘plug’ that fills the massive hole in US government budgets that would be created by the planned cuts to income tax, corporate taxes, and the increase in personal tax thresholds. Simply, to (even partially) pay for his other cuts, he has to implement this. I cannot see how Trump backs away from his tax promises, so I would expect exporters to the US, and especially high value add services providers in the UK, to pay a high price.
  • Options
    If Trump being a laughing stock was a problem, he would have never won the election. Every comedy programme going spent 90% of their time bigly taking piss out of his tiny hands, his rug, his orangeness, etc etc etc.
  • Options

I see Chelski are going to move to a new stadium. I thought that due to the weird way the Chelsea was setup that some fan trust owned the pitch area at Stamford Bridge to stop an owner flattening it and building housing? And the last time they raised prospects of moving those as part of the pitch owning trust said not over our dead body.

Looks like it's going to be on the same grounds though. So moving temporarily, but then going back to Stamford Bridge.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    RobD said:

Looks like it's going to be on the same grounds though. So moving temporarily, but then going back to Stamford Bridge.
    Arrhhh I missed that bit...just had Sky Sports News on one of my screens in my multi-tv setup and wasn't really concentrating.
  • Options

RobD said:

Arrhhh I missed that bit...just had Sky Sports News on one of my screens in my multi-tv setup and wasn't really concentrating.
    Here's the artist's impression. Not sure why it's categorised under Lancashire, but that's the BBC for you!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-38572335
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Here's the artist's impression. Not sure why it's categorised under Lancashire, but that's the BBC for you!

Its certainly a errhhh brave design.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

On the one hand, this is a (novel) way of getting around transfer pricing and multinational tax avoidance. On the other, it is a massive blow to free trade. Image a US company wanting to buy an ARM license: historically they might have to pay a tariff (they don’t actually, as this is an area where there is free trade between the EU and the US). Under the new Trump proposal, because ARM makes a 40% pre-tax margin, ARM will need to hand over 20% * $400,000 ($80,000) to the US government in income taxes to compensate the US government for the taxes it would have received had ARM been American.

Surely any business of any scale just transacts business through a local legal entity?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    edited January 2017

rcs1000 said:

Surely any business of any scale just transacts business through a local legal entity?
    The border tax basically says: if you bring goods or services into the US, you must pay taxes as if they were made there. Having a local legal entity protects you not one whit.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

The border tax basically says: if you bring goods or services into the US, you must pay taxes as if they were made there. Having a local legal entity protects you not one whit.
    That's what Putin did for the pharma industry in Russia. Nigeria does it as well, as does Algeria.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

But presumably double taxation relief applies so it would be a hit to HMRC more than to ARM?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,635
    RobD said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Scary, but hilarious.

On this point, the President has the sole authority to authorise nuclear weapons. They'd have to be declared incapacitated for their order not to be valid.
    Only POTUS can order it but the Secretary of Defense has to verify the order, and if he doesn't, it introduces a delay during which POTUS tries to get alternate verification and depose the SecDef, and the others try and depose POTUS and install a new President... :)

In the UK, the PM can order it by him/herself, but the order has to go thru a military man (the Chief of the Defence Staff) and again, he may say no.

See also

* The Human Button, by Peter Hennessy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc1L6dCjhwQ
    * https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=KSLvAgAAQBAJ&pg=PT418&dq="Prime+Minister's+Directive"++nuclear&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjl5bT1h7zKAhVLVRQKHTeaC6MQ6AEIRzAJ#v=onepage&q="Prime Minister's Directive" nuclear&f=false
    * "The Secret State: Preparing For The Worst 1945 - 2010" by Peter Hennessy
    Planning Armageddon: Britain, the United States and the Command of Western Nuclear Forces 1945-1964" by Stephen Twigge and Len Scott

I now pass you over to
    * a) those people who can remember the Tom Clancy book and the Tony Scott films that covered this
    * b) those people who know the up-to-date version and can point out any mistakes I made
  • Options
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Scary, but hilarious.

Only POTUS can order it but the Secretary of Defense has to verify the order, and if he doesn't, it introduces a delay during which POTUS tries to get alternate verification and depose the SecDef, and the others try and depose POTUS and install a new President... :)

In the UK, the PM can order it by him/herself, but the order has to go thru a military man (the Chief of the Defence Staff) and again, he may say no.

See also

* The Human Button, by Peter Hennessy: www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc1L6dCjhwQ
    * https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=KSLvAgAAQBAJ&pg=PT418&dq="Prime+Minister's+Directive"++nuclear&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjl5bT1h7zKAhVLVRQKHTeaC6MQ6AEIRzAJ#v=onepage&q="Prime Minister's Directive" nuclear&f=false
    Planning Armageddon: Britain, the United States and the Command of Western Nuclear Forces 1945-1964" by Stephen Twigge and Len Scott

I now pass you over to
    * a) those people who can remember the Tom Clancy book and the Tony Scott films that covered this
    * b) those people who know the up-to-date version and can point out any mistakes I made
    The two-man rule is widely used in movies. It has no basis in reality.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/05/science/donald-trump-nuclear-codes.html?_r=1
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    rcs1000 said:

The most significant thing about Donald Trump's policies is also the most unremarked upon. He is proposing a massive change in tax policy.

I think everybody's politely ignoring it because it's so obviously bonkers. I mean, you can't usually rely on the Republican Congress to stop many things, but it's a new tax. They're generally not fans of new taxes, and they can be moved by lobbying.

Apart from anything else once everybody inevitably reciprocated this would end up as a wildly disproportionate cost to US businesses, because companies selling into the US market would have to file income tax reports to the US in addition to their current taxes, but American companies selling to the rest of the world would have to file taxes to every jurisdiction in the world.

The practical solution to the problem Trump is trying to solve is VAT. It's not quite beyond the bounds of possibility that he might be able to institute a VAT and sell it as patriotic; Previously he's been saying Mexico is screwing Americans because Mexicans buying American exports have to pay VAT, whereas Americans buying Mexican exports don't.
  • Options
    @viewcode .. but thanks for the links. Am enjoying the radio show now.
  • Options
    RobD said:

viewcode said:

RobD said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Scary, but hilarious.

See also

I now pass you over to

Read what I wrote again. The Secretary of Defense can't stop it but he can slow it down.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Has there been any comment about Betfair's new Trump exit date market.

Trump is odds against (2.52; ie 6-4) to last until even January 2020 - note that's Jan 2020, not Jan 2021 - so only 3 years.

Must say I find that very surprising - but then who knows - I guess anything could happen.

• Options
    Meanwhile Corbyn's great week rumbles on:

Labour's shadow defence secretary is "absolutely furious" after Jeremy Corbyn's spokesman said the UK should help "wind down" tensions on the Nato-Russian border, the BBC has learned,

A source close to Nia Griffith told political correspondent Ben Wright she was not considering her position, but support for Nato was a "red line".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38590176
  • Options
    RobD said:

And I am reading your link. Very interesting. I didn't realise there was a literature on the subject.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

viewcode said:

RobD said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Scary, but hilarious.

See also

I now pass you over to

Read what I wrote again. The Secretary of Defense can't stop it but he can slow it down.
    How can he slow it down, and how long for? Your post implies the President needs to have his orders verified, but he doesn't.

Ah, I think I see the distinction - verify as in confirm it is a valid order , rather than confirming the order itself.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

And I am reading your link. Very interesting. I didn't realise there was a literature on the subject.
    Quite a bit on wiki too - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Codes
  • Options
    RobD said:

viewcode said:

RobD said:

viewcode said:

RobD said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Scary, but hilarious.

See also

I now pass you over to

How can he slow it down, and how long for? Your post implies the President needs to have his orders verified, but he doesn't.

Ah, I think I see the distinction - verify as in confirm it is a valid order , rather than confirming the order itself.
    Yes.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Yes.

There must be a line of succession for the Defence Secretary, otherwise the whole system is rendered intert if he is killed, and a successor hasn't been confirmed by the Senate. Could the President not just then sack people until they reach someone who verifies it is an order from the Preisdent?
  • Options
    And for pudding, here is the radio play "BBC Radio 4 Saturday Drama: The Letter of Last Resort"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwY9th-vmNY
  • Options
    RobD said:

viewcode said:

Yes.

There must be a line of succession for the Defence Secretary, otherwise the whole system is rendered intert if he is killed, and a successor hasn't been confirmed by the Senate. Could the President not just then sack people until they reach someone who verifies it is an order from the Preisdent?
    Known as the unknown unknown Defence Secretary?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

And for pudding, here is the radio play "BBC Radio 4 Saturday Drama: The Letter of Last Resort"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwY9th-vmNY

Just got to the letters bit in the Human Button documentary. Wonder why Australia is specifically mentioned.
  • Options
    RobD said:

viewcode said:

Yes.

Yes, but then we're in a Saturday Night Massacre situation again, with a POTUS firing people until he finds someone who says "yes". It's legal, but at this point people are looking at each other and going "uh-oh", and somebody is reminding the Vice-President of Section 4 of the Twenty-Fifth amendment...
  • Options
    RobD said:

viewcode said:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwY9th-vmNY

Just got to the letters bit in the Human Button documentary. Wonder why Australia is specifically mentioned.
    If we have an exchange involving NATO, Russia and China, the assumption is that the Northern Hemisphere is nonfunctional.
  • Options
    Another day....trouble at mill for Jezza...

Labour's shadow defence secretary is "absolutely furious" after Jeremy Corbyn's spokesman said the UK should help "wind down" tensions on the Nato-Russian border, the BBC has learned,

A source close to Nia Griffith told political correspondent Ben Wright she was not considering her position, but support for Nato was a "red line".

• Options

Corbyn knows what he's doing, the possibility that the Russians might have something good on Theresa May is pretty much his only conceivable route to power.
  • Options

Corbyn knows what he's doing, the possibility that the Russians might have something good on Theresa May is pretty much his only conceivable route to power.
    Even if they did - when the alternative is Jeremy Corbyn - with so much on him already in the public domain it would have to be really good.....
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907
    edited January 2017
    rcs1000 said:

It is also worth noting that these plans are the ‘plug’ that fills the massive hole in US government budgets that would be created by the planned cuts to income tax, corporate taxes, and the increase in personal tax thresholds. Simply, to (even partially) pay for his other cuts, he has to implement this. I cannot see how Trump backs away from his tax promises, so I would expect exporters to the US, and especially high value add services providers in the UK, to pay a high price.

Isn't the Republican position that deficits only matter when democrats are in power?
    I suspect Republicans will pass the tax cuts and then mysteriously neglect to make up the revenue in other ways...
  • Options

Even if they did - when the alternative is Jeremy Corbyn - with so much on him already in the public domain it would have to be really good.....
    Yup, she could have been one of the ladies in the Trump hotel room video and it still wouldn't be enough...
  • Options

Yup, she could have been one of the ladies in the Trump hotel room video and it still wouldn't be enough...
    Would indeed bring a new meaning to the "special relationship"...!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited January 2017
    He's a complete piece of work isn't he? It tells you a lot about the US population (at least the half who voted for him) and when you look at their recent inglorious history perhaps no one should be surprised. Obama covered a lot of cracks
  • Options
    Roger said:

He's a complete piece of work isn't he? It tells you a lot about the US population (at least the half who voted for him) and when you look at their recent inglorious history perhaps no one should be surprised. Obama covered a lot of cracks
    It also says a lot about the alternative they were offered.....like Brexit I think Trump is a 'brick through the window - are you listening now? candidate. Their alternative was a dynastic Washington insider, as Kissinger observed of Iran & Iraq when they were at war 'it's a pity they can't both lose.....'
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Roger said:

It also says a lot about the alternative they were offered.....like Brexit I think Trump is a 'brick through the window - are you listening now? candidate. Their alternative was a dynastic Washington insider, as Kissinger observed of Iran & Iraq when they were at war 'it's a pity they can't both lose.....'
    I don't think you can compare Hillary to Trump. There are always reasons not to like a candidate but voting for Trump shows a serious defect in your psyche which a vote for Hillary doesn't
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

I don't think you can compare Hillary to Trump. There are always reasons not to like a candidate but voting for Trump shows a serious defect in your psyche which a vote for Hillary doesn't
    Both parties failed to provide good candidates - and in defence of the Democrats at least they didn't provide a disastrous one - but when faced with two poor choices the American people chose a throw of the dice......
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Roger said:

Roger said:

I think that misses @CarlottaVance's point. Trump was the candidate that would shake things up. And boy has he done that.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Roger said:

In the case of Iran and Iraq, they both did. Alas, not so much in the US election.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855
    MaxPB said:

Bloody hotel has a filter so I've had to purchase VPN time.

Otherwise, she said yes! Obviously there's no rush and I haven't even bought a proper ring, I explained that the one I proposed with is just silver and CZ before she realised and thought I'd taken leave of my senses.

Fiji is paradise. If you can wangle a trip here @SeanT then I heartily recommend it.

Haven't really kept up with the rest of the world, we're so isolated here. I watched BBC news for the first time since we got here and apparently Trump pissed on some hookers, but then it turned out to be fake news. Clearly not a lot has changed.

Congratulations Sir, may you have a long and happy life together ahead of you. Enjoy the rest of your holiday, you'll probably be a little more relaxed now!
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    MaxPB said:

Otherwise, she said yes! Obviously there's no rush and I haven't even bought a proper ring, I explained that the one I proposed with is just silver and CZ before she realised and thought I'd taken leave of my senses.

Fiji is paradise. If you can wangle a trip here @SeanT then I heartily recommend it.

Haven't really kept up with the rest of the world, we're so isolated here. I watched BBC news for the first time since we got here and apparently Trump pissed on some hookers, but then it turned out to be fake news. Clearly not a lot has changed.

Congratulations.
  • Options
    How long has Trump been visiting Russia?

For months, he had been playing a dangerous game; tipping off journalists about what he said he had discovered from his sources in Russia about Donald Trump’s alleged dealings with the Kremlin, as well as claims that the FSB had hugely compromising information about Mr Trump’s activities during visits to the Communist country.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/11/former-mi6-officer-produced-donald-trump-russian-dossier-terrified/
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907

Roger said:

Unlike brexit... I don't think there was much choice involved here.
    Republicans voted for the republican and democrats voted for the democrat. But Hilary failed to get enough of her core vote to come out and vote - particularly in key states - and so she lost.

The amazing thing to me is that republicans managed to vote for this guy who so obviously does not share their values. One exit poll had him at 81% of white evangelicals...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921
    edited January 2017

RobD said:

RobD said:

Its certainly a errhhh brave design.
    Is that meant to be a football ground or some form of Soviet-bloc prison?

It's uuuuuggggly.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921
    MaxPB said:

Congrats, Max. Hope you both have a great life together.
  • Options
    Thread Nouveau
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    MaxPB said:

Congratulations Max. Getting the future wife to say yes on the first occasion you ask is seriously impressive.
This discussion has been closed.