Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The 2017 local by-election season opens with a LAB defence in

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited January 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The 2017 local by-election season opens with a LAB defence in Sunderland and a CON one in Herts

Sandhill on Sunderland caused by the resignation of the sitting Labour councillor for non attendance Result of council at last election (2016): Labour 67, Conservatives 6, Liberal Democrat 1, Independent 1 (Labour majority of 59) Result of ward at last election (2015): Labour 2,121 (55%), UKIP 1,003 (26%), Conservative 607 (16%), Liberal Democrat 135 (4%) EU Referendum Result (2016): REMAIN 51,930 (39%) LEAVE 82,394 (61%) on a turnout of 65% Candidates duly nominated: Bryan Foster (UKIP), Helmut Izaks (Green), Stephen O’Brien (Lib Dem), Gary Waller (Lab), Gavin Wilson (Con) Weather at the close of poll: Cloudy but dry, 1°C Estimate: Lab HOLD

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Rogue One!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Second rate, like the PM.
  • Options
    Hertsmere_PubgoerHertsmere_Pubgoer Posts: 3,476
    edited January 2017
    2nd edit 3rd
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    LD nailed on to gain 3 Rivers surely - Lab collapse and Kipper nibbling the blue core vote.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Big night for the Lib Dems in 3 rivers ahead.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Thank you, Harry; all your hard work is very much appreciated.

Good evening, everyone (again).
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003
    Thanks Harry.

And I love the maps.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Cheers, Mr. Hayfield.
  • Options

Thanks Harry.

And I love the maps.

Gade Valley contains the M25 viaduct passing over the West Coast Main Line north of Watford :)
  • Options
    Thank you Harry, very interesting and love the additions. Interesting that you forecast the Lib Dems gaining a whole council tonight. I suspect you're right.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Mr Hayfield, we rarely fallout, but on this occasion I really must draw the line. Those garish pink borders are quite ghastly. - Apart from that, a sterling effort as usual.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Thanks for the post. I like both the weather and the prediction.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    LD gain in Three Rivers will also gain them overall control of the council .
  • Options

Thanks Harry.

And I love the maps.

Maps are always good.
  • Options

Thanks Harry.

And I love the maps.

Gade Valley contains the M25 viaduct passing over the West Coast Main Line north of Watford :)
    And the Grand Union Canal!

The head office of a company I used to work for was based *just* within. Fortunately I spent most of my time in Cambridge instead of making the long trek south.
  • Options
    I'm predicting a big win for the Lib Dems in Gade Valley :-)

I suspect they could get a good rise in support in Sunderland too.
  • Options

Thanks Harry.

And I love the maps.

Maps are always good.
    I'm probably a little sad to admit this, but I can spend as long studying *one* OS Map as I do reading a novel. If I don't know an area then I'll try to imagine the lie of the land, and if I've walked in it I'll recall the walk and dream up new ones.

I just love everything about them.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    BBCQT looks likd fruicake night with Aaron Banks and Paul Mason. Gisela Stuart too, so a panel leaning to red Brexit.
  • Options

Thanks Harry.

And I love the maps.

Maps are always good.
    I'm probably a little sad to admit this, but I can spend as long studying *one* OS Map as I do reading a novel. If I don't know an area then I'll try to imagine the lie of the land, and if I've walked in it I'll recall the walk and dream up new ones.

I've only "read" SK Baker's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland over the last 18 months :)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    fpt

Barbara Cannon lost her CCC seat in 2013 because of an internal Labour dispute to a de-selected Labour candidate standing as an Independent. She was Labour candidate in Penrith and the Border in ? 2010. I like her as a person, very new Labour when I knew her - had lunch in 10 Downing Street with the Blairs.

The two best, Tim Knowles and David Southward haven't made it through to the last four.

My contacts rate Gillian Troughton but not Rachael Holliday - I don't know either of them.

If you're still reading, why did the two blokes not get through to the last four?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Thanks Harry.

And I love the maps.

The head office of a company I used to work for was based *just* within. Fortunately I spent most of my time in Cambridge instead of making the long trek south.
    When I was young I used to think hmmm let me ride along the grand union canal to the end of it on my bike.....didn't know how long it was then. (I live in Perivale, North west London).
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
  • Options
    nunu said:

Thanks Harry.

And I love the maps.

When I was young I used to think hmmm let me ride along the grand union canal to the end of it on my bike.....didn't know how long it was then. (I live in Perivale, North west London).
    I've walked it all at least twice, and some of it many times. ;)

What actually constitutes the Grand Union Canal often comprises me; it's a mix of routes and even widths (mainly broad, but with some narrow bits in London and Brum). Then you get the various branches, such as the Leicester branch.

There used to be some magnificent industrial canalside wharfage buildings in London. One I loved just north of Mile End was demolished a few years ago, and there was a truly atmospheric one near Brentford: I'd be amazed if that's still extant given the land values in that area.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    nunu said:

I walked part of it last weekend.
  • Options
    Mot sure about Harry's weather forecast from Gade Valley . My man on the ground says rain all day turned to snow at 5 ish .
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Strange and disturbing story for the day:

https://twitter.com/benjaminhaddad/status/819603147391926272
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    nunu said:

Thanks Harry.

And I love the maps.

My council ward contains something like 7km of the Grand Union canal, and a very beautiful stretch as well. wave when you are passing!
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631
    Haven't seen you post here for a long time Park Town Boy. I equally have been absent (but lurking) for many years since my days of regularly posting. Still wondering about your identity after you subtletly outed me on here all those years ago!
  • Options
    It appears that the Sheffield City Regional Mayoral contest due to take place in May has been postponed because of lack of consultation with electors in Chesterfield . It may in fact never take place as proposal of a Greater Yorkshire mayor instead has been resurrected .
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

fpt

Barbara Cannon lost her CCC seat in 2013 because of an internal Labour dispute to a de-selected Labour candidate standing as an Independent. She was Labour candidate in Penrith and the Border in ? 2010. I like her as a person, very new Labour when I knew her - had lunch in 10 Downing Street with the Blairs.

The two best, Tim Knowles and David Southward haven't made it through to the last four.

My contacts rate Gillian Troughton but not Rachael Holliday - I don't know either of them.

If you're still reading, why did the two blokes not get through to the last four?
    VFC is a Tory, the reasons that he may like the candidates may match neither Labour nor voters!
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    No one commented on the seriously odd-shaped wards in the second map? Looks dodgy as f*ck to me.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

TOPPING said:

fpt

VFC is a Tory, the reasons that he may like the candidates may match neither Labour nor voters!
    I don't mind hearing what a Tory has to say about things.

:wink:
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

I don't mind hearing what a Tory has to say about things.

Sure, but does need a few caveats.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Glad people like the maps which are my addition and follow what we've been doing with Westminster by-elections.

I like the additional info from Harry as well.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    dr_spyn said:
    Rachel Holiday Cumbria’s woman of the year in 2015. Is Corbyns preferred candidate

Holliday founded Time to Change in west Cumbria, a social enterprise that tackles homelessness, and Calderwood House hostel for the homeless. She also set up a local homeless football team, telling the local press she had a passion for the issue having been homeless herself during her teenage years.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    SeanT said:

State of this Remoaner fuckwit. A university lecturer who refuses to be friends with any Leaver, as they are EVIL

http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2017/01/12/i-can-t-reach-out-to-brexiters-anymore-they-re-destroying-th

Imagine you were a Leave voter and he was your professor.

Stating the obvious I suppose but being unfriended by this utter tit wouldn't be any loss.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    Anorak said:

No one commented on the seriously odd-shaped wards in the second map? Looks dodgy as f*ck to me.

You wouldn't need those with STV. AV wouldn't make any difference, though.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    The Three Rivers ward boundaries were revised in 2013.

This is the final report of the local boundary commission - it would appear that there was some debate about the three Abbot Langley wards.

https://www.lgbce.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/14886/threerivers-finalrecs-report-2013-10-22.pdf
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Thanks Harry.

And I love the maps.

Maps are always good.

I adored atlases as a kid. I used to ogle them for hours, imagining these exotic places. For some reason Siberia in particular fascinated me. I am happy to say that I have now visited Novosibirsk, Irkutsk and Vladivostok, and crossed the raging torrents of the Yenesei. The Gulf of Ob still eludes me, however.

I have a 1912 atlas. The European maps, especially, are fascinating: the Austro-Hungarian Empire, the Ottamans, Germany in Alsace Lorraine and, of course, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. All gone just 10 years later.

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Thanks Harry!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

SeanT said:

Thanks Harry.

And I love the maps.

Maps are always good.

I adored atlases as a kid. I used to ogle them for hours, imagining these exotic places. For some reason Siberia in particular fascinated me. I am happy to say that I have now visited Novosibirsk, Irkutsk and Vladivostok, and crossed the raging torrents of the Yenesei. The Gulf of Ob still eludes me, however.

I have a 1912 atlas. The European maps, especially, are fascinating: the Austro-Hungarian Empire, the Ottamans, Germany in Alsace Lorraine and, of course, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. All gone just 10 years later.

buy an old Baedeker to go with them

they capture a lost world

I have germany pre war ( 3 vols ) fascinating stuff
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    SeanT said:

Thanks Harry.

And I love the maps.

Maps are always good.

I often browse the atlas, and have quite a collection. I have made it to a few intriguing parts of the world through these, including New Caledonia.

This is a particular wistful favourite:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Atlas-Remote-Islands-Fifty-Visited/dp/1846143489

Though my electoral map of London won as a PB prize also has a special place.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    SeanT said:

Thanks Harry.

And I love the maps.

Maps are always good.

Next time you're around Bury St you should pop into Daniel Crouch's shop. It is achingly impressive.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Thanks Harry.

And I love the maps.

Maps are always good.

buy an old Baedeker to go with them

they capture a lost world

I have germany pre war ( 3 vols ) fascinating stuff
    Baedeker's (and their less well known English cousin Murray's) are some of the most interesting, and, because of their mass production, cheapest late nineteenth-century books to collect. They're usually chocka with maps too...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Thanks Harry.

And I love the maps.

Maps are always good.

I often browse the atlas, and have quite a collection. I have made it to a few intriguing parts of the world through these, including New Caledonia.

Splendid! Gonna buy. I LOVE remote and obscure islands. I envied Matthew Parris his retreat to Kerguelen.
    Yes, I was jealous of Kerguelen too. Like a French Falklands, but more remote...
  • Options
    This is worth a visit

https://britishheritage.com/utopian-new-lanark/

The names of the era on the globe are fascinating
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Thanks Harry.

And I love the maps.

Maps are always good.

Splendid! Gonna buy. I LOVE remote and obscure islands. I envied Matthew Parris his retreat to Kerguelen.
    Books by "Stanley Rogers" published in the 20's and 30's are great for armchair travellers too, and filled with fascinating shipwrecks and castaways. They are cheap enough on Abebooks and well worth searching out.

• Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Thanks Harry.

And I love the maps.

Maps are always good.

Yes, I was jealous of Kerguelen too. Like a French Falklands, but more remote...
    Though I suspect South Georgia is even more spectacular than both.

I am always intrigued by the Antarctic Australian islands, like Heard. Utterly lonely and empty and silent. Yet soaring out of the sea

http://volcano.si.edu/Photos/full/091056.jpg
    They are difficult to get to, though a friend of mine (now a GP in Lincs) spent a while on the Chatham Islands as the only doctor, in the Ocean South East of New Zealand. His first duty of the day in the medical centre was to catch the hospital cow and milk it. If it was sunny there were no patients as everyone went fishing, if grey and windswept then quite busy. There was a ricketty plane every week, but the weather and wind meant often cancellations.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Talking of maps, here is one of cities which were at one stage the biggest in the world: http://i.imgur.com/R8r0MhC.jpg
    And the list in wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_cities_throughout_history
  • Options
    @hdevreij: Dutch newspaper @telegraaf says it has spoken to a witness of Donald Trump's alleged sexual escapades in the Ritz Carlton. More tomorrow...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    edited January 2017
    SeanT said:

Genuinely interesting column from Polly Tuscany, recalling an interview with a younger, handsome Donald Trump

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/12/donald-trump-interview-1988-megalomaniac

Intriguing that she confirms what I have heard. That he is genuinely very smart. Probably mad - but smart.

That's a good read. He doesn't just want to be but to do. In another throwback to the era, he's got a superpower and he's gonna use it...

Polly: My own hunch is that those dealing with him should beware of underestimating this man. There is method in his madness – and no one in the world is more primed to win anything and everything against any odds.
  • Options

SeanT said:

State of this Remoaner fuckwit. A university lecturer who refuses to be friends with any Leaver, as they are EVIL

http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2017/01/12/i-can-t-reach-out-to-brexiters-anymore-they-re-destroying-th

Stating the obvious I suppose but being unfriended by this utter tit wouldn't be any loss.
    I find it interesting how these remoaner types always seem to make the same points:

1) Everyone who voted leave was racist
    2) We are nailed on for economic armageddon at any moment

Perhaps the reason he says he can't sleep at night is due to the massive cognitive dissonance.

For a university professor you would expect a bit more critical thinking.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    https://twitter.com/mozdog94/status/819469278084788224

LAB looking a bit rattled in Sunderland
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    The great physicist Richard Feynman and a friend, Ralph Leighton, the son of a very good physicist colleague of Feynman, took many years to get visas to visit Tuva:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuva_or_Bust!

Feynman never made it, but his daughter did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuva
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Thanks Harry.

And I love the maps.

Maps are always good.

I am always intrigued by the Antarctic Australian islands, like Heard. Utterly lonely and empty and silent. Yet soaring out of the sea

They are difficult to get to, though a friend of mine (now a GP in Lincs) spent a while on the Chatham Islands as the only doctor, in the Ocean South East of New Zealand. His first duty of the day in the medical centre was to catch the hospital cow and milk it. If it was sunny there were no patients as everyone went fishing, if grey and windswept then quite busy. There was a ricketty plane every week, but the weather and wind meant often cancellations.
    I have been to the sub-Antarctic islands of New Zealand (and Australia - Macquarie Island is part of Tasmania and so remote they get two boats A YEAR). Bounty Island is NOTHING like the 60s adverts of babes in bikinis playing with a beachball. Uninhabited for a start. As is Campbell Island, although the weird flora (and the world's remotest tree) are home to nesting albatross, who you can sit with and chill.

I also went to the Chatham Islands and met 8 guys, five of whom were ACTUALLY called Bruce. True story.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Scott_P said:

@hdevreij: Dutch newspaper @telegraaf says it has spoken to a witness of Donald Trump's alleged sexual escapades in the Ritz Carlton. More tomorrow...

Hadn't Steele also spoken to supposed witnesses?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Genuinely interesting column from Polly Tuscany, recalling an interview with a younger, handsome Donald Trump

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/12/donald-trump-interview-1988-megalomaniac

Intriguing that she confirms what I have heard. That he is genuinely very smart. Probably mad - but smart.

That's a good read. He doesn't just want to be but to do. In another throwback to the era, he's got a superpower and he's gonna use it...

Polly: My own hunch is that those dealing with him should beware of underestimating this man. There is method in his madness – and no one in the world is more primed to win anything and everything against any odds.
    She can't hide her bitterness though - Reagan as a senile movie star in the White House.
  • Options
    My very Muslim mother has asked me what a golden shower is & why should that stop Trump being President because a golden lift didn't?
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

There is much doubt that story is going to appear.
  • Options

My very Muslim mother has asked me what a golden shower is & why should that stop Trump being President because a golden lift didn't?

I don't envy you right now... :D
  • Options
    Another Cambridge alumnus was responsible for that dossier, Sir Andrew Wood, former UK Ambassador to Russia met John McCain at a security conference in October and shared that info with him.

The University of Cambridge, once again proving to be such an awesome force for good in the world.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

SeanT said:

I find it interesting how these remoaner types always seem to make the same points:

1) Everyone who voted leave was racist
    2) We are nailed on for economic armageddon at any moment

Perhaps the reason he says he can't sleep at night is due to the massive cognitive dissonance.

For a university professor you would expect a bit more critical thinking.
    This is a real saddo, close to sectionable
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

It's called slanderous Chinese whispers
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    edited January 2017
    RobD said:

I'm 38, with my parents I've had only had one conversation on the subject of sex, that was with my father as I departed to university, when he told me that as a good Muslim boy who was going to have an arranged marriage in a few years time, I should remain chaste and virginal at university.

I hate Donald Trump right now.
  • Options

What's the difference between a lentil and a chickpea?

Trump wouldn't have a lentil on him.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Thanks Harry.

And I love the maps.

Maps are always good.

South Georgia is astonishingly rugged. Especially around Cape Disappointment, where the glaciers tumble into the sea. We followed Shackleton's route from Elephant Island up to South Georgia. It is the only way you can get any sort of understanding of what they endured. Even when they landed on South Georgia, they then had a horrendous walk over glaciers to make it to a whaling station of Stromness (now inaccessible because of the amount of asbestos, but the buildings are still there).

If you want a six week trip that will take you to Antarctica, South Georgia, Gough Island, Tristan da Cunha, St. Helena Ascension, Cape Verde - have a word with John Brodie-Goode at Wildwings. Ask him about the Atlantic Odyssey.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

What's the difference between a lentil and a chickpea?

Trump wouldn't have a lentil on him.
    Very good.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Thanks Harry.

And I love the maps.

Maps are always good.

They are difficult to get to, though a friend of mine (now a GP in Lincs) spent a while on the Chatham Islands as the only doctor, in t.
    I have been to the sub-Antarctic islands of New Zealand (and Australia - Macquarie Island is part of Tasmania and so remote they get two boats A YEAR). Bounty Island is NOTHING like the 60s adverts of babes in bikinis playing with a beachball. Uninhabited for a start. As is Campbell Island, although the weird flora (and the world's remotest tree) are home to nesting albatross, who you can sit with and chill.

I also went to the Chatham Islands and met 8 guys, five of whom were ACTUALLY called Bruce. True story.
    In 1989 I saw the Albatrosses nesting on the peninsula near Dunedin, those chicks are big!
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited January 2017

https://twitter.com/mozdog94/status/819469278084788224

LAB looking a bit rattled in Sunderland

Thats normal isn't it?
  • Options

It appears that the Sheffield City Regional Mayoral contest due to take place in May has been postponed because of lack of consultation with electors in Chesterfield . It may in fact never take place as proposal of a Greater Yorkshire mayor instead has been resurrected .

I wasn't aware that the 'Sheffield City Region' had been consulted with electors anywhere.

If the local people had been consulted by referendum on whether they wanted a 'Sheffield City Region' it would have been overwhelmingly rejected.

Which is precisely why the local people weren't consulted on whether they wanted a 'Sheffield City Region'.

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

My youngest son was being driven to school one day and he asked his mother what a blow job was.

45 minute journey, so she is trapped :-)

So, she tells him.......

The next question was worse .......

Children with Aspergers can make life quite interesting :-)

• Options
    Report from man on the spot in Sunderland . Very close between Labour and Lib Dem
  • Options

I wasn't aware that the 'Sheffield City Region' had been consulted with electors anywhere.

If the local people had been consulted by referendum on whether they wanted a 'Sheffield City Region' it would have been overwhelmingly rejected.

Which is precisely why the local people weren't consulted on whether they wanted a 'Sheffield City Region'.

There was a consultation, we were asked for our views.

I liked it because it realised that county borders are irrelevant when you're that close to a big city
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995

Report from man on the spot in Sunderland . Very close between Labour and Lib Dem

Given the LibDems scored a staggering 4% last time in the ward, one fourteenth of the Labour vote, I would be staggered were they to win.

So please colour me sceptical.
  • Options

From 4% to competitive in UKIP territory? Interesting if true...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Given the LibDems scored a staggering 4% last time in the ward, one fourteenth of the Labour vote, I would be staggered were they to win.

So please colour me sceptical.
    Labour could have lost 90%+ of their vote though. That's more believable :D
  • Options
    I trust that the Returning Officer for Sunderland is striving to beat his previous best in getting tonight's result declared.
  • Options

I liked it because it realised that county borders are irrelevant when you're that close to a big city
    “But the plans were on display…”
    “On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
    “That’s the display department.”
    “With a flashlight.”
    “Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
    “So had the stairs.”
    “But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
    “Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”
  • Options

Awesome pun.

twitter.com/TheSun/status/819672820695400455

I thought it was linked to Andrew Wood, rather than the current EU ambassador?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

I'm 38, with my parents I've had only had one conversation on the subject of sex, that was with my father as I departed to university, when he told me that as a good Muslim boy who was going to have an arranged marriage in a few years time, I should remain chaste and virginal at university.

My family is the opposite. We get drunk and talk about EVERYTHING, from who has had the most partners to who has had the kinkiest sex.

On the other hand, my 1st stepmother (of 3, now deceased) once tried to stab me on Boxing Day. So, you know: swings and roundabouts.
    Why did she try to stab you ?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

“But the plans were on display…”
    “On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
    “That’s the display department.”
    “With a flashlight.”
    “Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
    “So had the stairs.”
    “But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
    “Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”
    This was online, on the telly, in the local papers, you couldn't miss it.
  • Options

SeanT said:

RobD said:

My family is the opposite. We get drunk and talk about EVERYTHING, from who has had the most partners to who has had the kinkiest sex.

On the other hand, my 1st stepmother (of 3, now deceased) once tried to stab me on Boxing Day. So, you know: swings and roundabouts.
    Sean said FPTP was superior to AV.
  • Options
    Fake news seems to be spreading:

Guardian headline: "Cyclists don't count as road users, argues transport secretary"

What Chris Grayling actually said (quoted in the very same Guardian article!):

Grayling was questioned by the Labour MP Daniel Zeichner about an interview he gave late last year warning that London’s new protected cycle lanes “perhaps cause too much of a problem for road users”. Were cyclists not also road users, Zeichner asked.

“What I would say to him, of course, is where you have cycle lanes, cyclists are the users of cycle lanes,” Grayling responded. “And there’s a road alongside – motorists are the road users, the users of the roads. It’s fairly straightforward, to be honest.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/12/cyclists-dont-count-as-road-users-argues-transport-secretary
  • Options

SeanT said:

RobD said:

Because the gun wasn't loaded?
  • Options
    Hmm The council managed to send the NIP for council tax round (Now paid ^^;) but never saw the mayoral consultation anywhere.
  • Options

Awesome pun.

To lose one Permanent Representative is unfortunate...

If it was him, what on earth was he doing working with John McCain?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Awesome pun.

Sir Andrew Wood is the one who flagged it up to John McCain, but apparently Sir Tim Barrow was/is close to both Christopher Steele and Sir Andrew Wood...
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_58657bb5e4b0eb586488c5c0

Read this but replace Democratic with Labour and America with Britain.
  • Options

Fake news seems to be spreading:

Guardian headline: "Cyclists don't count as road users, argues transport secretary"

What Chris Grayling actually said (quoted in the very same Guardian article!):

Grayling was questioned by the Labour MP Daniel Zeichner about an interview he gave late last year warning that London’s new protected cycle lanes “perhaps cause too much of a problem for road users”. Were cyclists not also road users, Zeichner asked.

“What I would say to him, of course, is where you have cycle lanes, cyclists are the users of cycle lanes,” Grayling responded. “And there’s a road alongside – motorists are the road users, the users of the roads. It’s fairly straightforward, to be honest.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/12/cyclists-dont-count-as-road-users-argues-transport-secretary

If you have any knowledge of cycling on the roads, you'd know how terrible an answer that is tbh.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Awesome pun.

Ah yes, that's what the Independent is reporting.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-russia-dossier-leak-sir-andrew-wood-john-mccain-british-ambassador-spy-a7524931.html
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

Never stop posting here
  • Options
    For those who did not see it "The Hospital" was well worth seeing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b088rp75/hospital-episode-1

All those expensive theatres and surgeons lying idle for want of beds, and patients cancelled on the day.

Very familiar to me.
  • Options
    @SeanT Serious question - do you think you're a better writer than yr Dad :) ?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Would LOVE to do that. My editor on Times Travel has just asked me to pitch new ideas, so that's on the list. I am very aware of time slipping away. I'm 53. I feel fit and healthy, despite the booze, but I definitely need to see some of the world's more daunting destinations now, rather than in 10 years time.

That said, I did climb to 18,400 feet in November last year, in the Chilean Andes. So, heh.

John Brodie-Good is a very cool guy. He's probably seen as many species of whales and dolphins as anyone on the planet. GIve him a call, ask him what interesting trips he has coming up. He takes it as a badge of courage that he can get you to almost anywhere on the planet.

And kudos on making 18,400 feet - that is seriously high!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

Because 1. I was a recovering heroin addict, 2. she was an alcoholic, 3. she had early brain cancer and 4. (relatedly) she was mad and 5. she felt I was giving my Dad an alibi for his philandering, and 6. MY FAMILY
    Did she prefer you when you were an actual heroin addict?
This discussion has been closed.