Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s relaunch week ends with the LDs takeing a LAB council

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited January 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s relaunch week ends with the LDs takeing a LAB council seat in one of its heartlands on a 36% swing

The 2017 council by-election season has opened with the Lib Dems taking seats from both CON and LAB on big swings. The results are above.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,414
    edited January 2017
    First like the Lib Dems and Hillary Clinton*

*In the popular vote.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    FPT:

Liam Doogan ‏@liamdoogan
    Replying to Britain Elects

Is there a local context to this result?

Dan Kelly ‏@ObiDanKelnobi

Local people think Labour are shit, would be my guess.
  • Options

FPT:

Liam Doogan ‏@liamdoogan

Heh.

I'm calling it now, we're going back in time, and it's Tories versus the Liberals from now on.

An idea for a thread,

Labour, a century long experiment is now over, what next?
  • Options

FPT:

Liam Doogan ‏@liamdoogan

Heh.

I'm calling it now, we're going back in time, and it's Tories versus the Liberals from now on.

An idea for a thread,

@david_herdson and I were talking about that on here the other day.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Goodnight all - thanks for usual 'election night' interest!
  • Options
    Ah, it transpires that Labour nominated the husband of the other Councillor for the ward. As well as conducting canvassing via drive-by megaphone at 11pm. They've really gone out of their way to lose this one bigly.
  • Options

FPT:

Liam Doogan ‏@liamdoogan

Heh.

An idea for a thread,

We need people like Gladstone and Lloyd George.

Gladstone progressive effort such as his work with prostitutes and Lloyd George's contribution to House of Lords reform.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Ah, it transpires that Labour nominated the husband of the other Councillor for the ward. As well as conducting canvassing via drive-by megaphone at 11pm. They've really gone out of their way to lose this one bigly.

LOL
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Yet again the UKIP threat appears to be on the wane......so much for the danger in the North to Labour. Lib Dems proving a resilient threat rather than UKIP
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Must be something in the water in Sunderland.
  • Options

Were they also wearing Newcastle United shirts as well?
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    Id be extremely suprised if we see the lib dems make this kind of progress against labour more than once in a blue moon. Merely a local thing, the previous councillor clearly neglected his duties. Id be willing to bet a significant sum the Dems do well against the Tories in May but not Labour, despite the wishful thinking froth from the PB Tories. And my returns last year were 3300%.

In cse anyone hadnt forgotten the Lib Dems have 9 MPs. It's for a reason - 70% of their voters considered them abject traitors to their own supposed ideals. I doubt their memories are that short.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    edited January 2017
    As for Copeland, HYUFD is usually pig-headed and bullish to the point of absurdity, so Im taking their equivocation on the Tory hopes as a sign that they havent got a chance in hell.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    I see the first comment in the LD Copeland announcement (click on "selected a candidate" in MIke's piece above) is one for Sunil:

"Extra incentive to go to the constituency is that the local trains are Mark 2 coaches hauled by class 37 locomotives, with DBSOs on the rear end. The locals may be getting a bit tired of the unreliability, but they’re really nice trains when they’re running."
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

And they were probably driving Kias & Toyotas - not Sunderland made Nissans.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Yet again the UKIP threat appears to be on the wane......so much for the danger in the North to Labour. Lib Dems proving a resilient threat rather than UKIP

A Putting The Bins Out election.

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

FPT:

Liam Doogan ‏@liamdoogan

Heh.

An idea for a thread,

Liberals vs Tories: one form of turning back time that would also constitute progress.

That said, I'm always reticent about reading too much into local council by-elections. And my own combination of Labourscepticism and pessimism still suggests to me that Labour probably won't fall far short of 25% even in a truly dire general election. Because anything even lower would be too good to be true, and when things look too good to be true they usually are.

The Labour brand is too strong, and has only been broken in Scotland where truly extraordinary circumstances were in play. Labour's certainly neither indestructible nor possessed of a God given right to exist - but if it is going to be worn down and pushed into third place in England then this could take a very long time indeed...
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    JWisemann said:

Id be extremely suprised if we see the lib dems make this kind of progress against labour more than once in a blue moon. Merely a local thing, the previous councillor clearly neglected his duties. Id be willing to bet a significant sum the Dems do well against the Tories in May but not Labour, despite the wishful thinking froth from the PB Tories. And my returns last year were 3300%.

In cse anyone hadnt forgotten the Lib Dems have 9 MPs. It's for a reason - 70% of their voters considered them abject traitors to their own supposed ideals. I doubt their memories are that short.

Might be worth having a word with Labour in Scotland. Shows how quickly a party can exit, followed by a bear...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,981

FPT:

Liam Doogan ‏@liamdoogan

Heh.

An idea for a thread,

Gladstone progressive effort such as his work with prostitutes and Lloyd George's contribution to House of Lords reform.
    How did things work out for the last LibDem who hung out with prostitutes?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

FPT:

Liam Doogan ‏@liamdoogan

Heh.

An idea for a thread,

I believe the shit hit the....
  • Options
    Lib Dems could be back to 50 seats next General Election, almost all coming from Labour. Why not?

What goes up can come down, but what goes down can come up. There is nothing any more inevitable about Lib Dem failure than there was Lib Dem success.

Corbyn and Brexit have provided an instant-detox to the Lib Dem coalition years. Look at Corbyn, look at Brexit (if you're a continuity Remain voter) and look at student fees as a junior partner of a coalition and which looks least worse?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    MikeK said:

Must be something in the water in Sunderland.

Bloody metropolitan elite virtue signaler Mackems. Don't they know that all true WWC northerners are kippers?
  • Options
    LIBDEMS - SWINGIN' HERE!
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

The one thing the LibDems can take from these by-election results is that people are willing to vote tactically for them again.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

As for Copeland, HYUFD is usually pig-headed and bullish to the point of absurdity, so Im taking their equivocation on the Tory hopes as a sign that they havent got a chance in hell.

HYUFD is a very astute commentator who has a tendency to couch probabilities as certainties.
  • Options

It is a perennial betting tip that it is hard to lose money laying kippers in FPTP elections.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,414
    edited January 2017
    May's local elections will be conducted in a very fevered atmosphere, judiciary permitting, article 50 will have been triggered and Mrs May will finally say exactly what Brexit means.

UKIP will condemn her for betraying Leavers no matter she proposes, whilst the Lib Dems will say she is doing the wrong things.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

May's local elections will be conducted in a very fevered atmosphere, judiciary permitting, article 50 will have been triggered and Mrs May will finally say exactly what Brexit means.

UKIP will condemn her for betraying Leavers no matter she proposes, whilst the Lib Dems will say she is doing the wrong things.

While Labour will manage to upset everyone by saying they want unlimited immigration, but only from those outside the EU.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I'm sure it's been mentioned on here already, but Chrysler's Jeep and Ram divisions have just admitted 'defeat devices' on vehicles sold between 2014 and 2016.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,582

FPT:

Liam Doogan ‏@liamdoogan

Heh.

An idea for a thread,

Or Gladstone's contribution to party unity and Lloyd George's efforts with loose women ?
  • Options

Ukip don't have to win a single seat to play havoc with Labour at the next election. Just syphon more votes from Labour than the Tories in Lab/Con marginals. Ditto the Lib Dems.

The Tories can well afford to ship the five or six remaining seats that they both won from the Lib Dems in 2015, and where there were a majority of Remain voters in the referendum - if they can also use a split Opposition to charge through the middle in 40 or 50 Labour seats. That, I suspect, is what the plan is at Tory HQ.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    rcs1000 said:

JWisemann said:

The one thing the LibDems can take from these by-election results is that people are willing to vote tactically for them again.
    Result of ward at last election (2015): Labour 2,121 (55%), UKIP 1,003 (26%), Conservative 607 (16%), Liberal Democrat 135 (4%)

Lib Dem was NOT the tactical or any other vote here.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,582

But will UKIP get any traction at all ? It's hard to see that the 'betrayal' charge could have any credibility so early into the process. Rather more promising for the Lib Dems, as Labour continues to flounder. Actually that's generous; self-harm would be more accurate.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited January 2017
    Barnesian said:

I see the first comment in the LD Copeland announcement (click on "selected a candidate" in MIke's piece above) is one for Sunil:

"Extra incentive to go to the constituency is that the local trains are Mark 2 coaches hauled by class 37 locomotives, with DBSOs on the rear end. The locals may be getting a bit tired of the unreliability, but they’re really nice trains when they’re running."

lol

Read all about it in the gazette's travel section.
  • Options

Ukip don't have to win a single seat to play havoc with Labour at the next election. Just syphon more votes from Labour than the Tories in Lab/Con marginals. Ditto the Lib Dems.

The Tories can well afford to ship the five or six remaining seats that they both won from the Lib Dems in 2015, and where there were a majority of Remain voters in the referendum - if they can also use a split Opposition to charge through the middle in 40 or 50 Labour seats. That, I suspect, is what the plan is at Tory HQ.
    I think that's right: the Tories will shrug their shoulders and lose a few (I suspect more like 3-4) heavily Remain seats to the LibDems, while picking up ten times as many seats from Labour.
  • Options

Is it not correct that there has been a swing against the kippers in Sunderland tonight, and in seats they were defending or challenging, such as Sleaford?

Hope for the kippers needs more than wishful thinking and a bald scouser as leader.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

JWisemann said:

Result of ward at last election (2015): Labour 2,121 (55%), UKIP 1,003 (26%), Conservative 607 (16%), Liberal Democrat 135 (4%)

I've seen the bar charts, and those things don't lie: only the LibDems could beat Labour in the ward.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

No need to go so far north!

I saw Class 37s top and tailing a train at Norwich a few months ago, along with a pair of brand new 68s doing the same :)

• Options

FPT:

Liam Doogan ‏@liamdoogan

Heh.

An idea for a thread,

I do think the lib dem brand will get a credibility benefit from having been in power during the coalition years and of course their remain credentials are clear too for a chunk of those soft blues and reds...
  • Options

Is it not correct that there has been a swing against the kippers in Sunderland tonight, and in seats they were defending or challenging, such as Sleaford?

Hope for the kippers needs more than wishful thinking and a bald scouser as leader.
    Indeed. Ukip is in a problematic situation, to put it mildly. It has practically no marginals to target. It appears still to have a low ceiling if support. A lot of Blue Ukip voters have gone home to the Tories. Nuttall's new target audience is disproportionately concentrated in extremely safe Labour seats - and as Labour's support declines, the votes that are still available to be mined - notably robot/habit/cultural voters, who are not particularly engaged with the issues and simply turn up to tick the Labour box every few years because Grandad was Labour - become progressively harder to extract. Like all of the smaller parties, Ukip may struggle for air-time relative to the Tories, Labour and the SNP. And what time it does get may end up being dominated by Nigel Farage.

I don't expect Ukip to disappear any time soon because they appear to have evolved a genuine base, but I remain to be convinced that they are capable of making real progress - especially post the damp squib that was their GE2015 result.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991

Ukip don't have to win a single HQ.

Indeed. Ukip is in a problematic situation, to put it mildly. It has practically no marginals to target. It appears still to have a low ceiling if support. A lot of Blue Ukip voters have gone home to the Tories. Nuttall's new target audience is disproportionately concentrated in extremely safe Labour seats - and as Labour's support declines, the votes that are still available to be mined - notably robot/habit/cultural voters, who are not particularly engaged with the issues and simply turn up to GE2015 result.

HQ.

Indeed. Ukip is in a problematic situation, to put it mildly. It has practically no marginals to target. It appears still to have a low ceiling if support. A lot of Blue Ukip voters have gone home to the Tories. Nuttall's new .

I don't expect Ukip to disappear any time soon because they appear to have evolved a genuine base, but I remain to be convinced that they are capable of making real progress - especially post the damp squib that was their GE2015 result.
    UKIP's present fall backwards and the LDs rise is largely because it looks like hard Brexit and the yellows are the protest vote against that, however if Brexit is diluted in the eyes of hardcore Leavers eg with continued budget contributions to the EU and no points system for EU migrants then the purples will become a party of protest again
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    rcs1000 said:

JWisemann said:

HYUFD is a very astute commentator who has a tendency to couch probabilities as certainties.
    Although I seem to recall I called Trump rather earlier than you did and Sleaford showed there is no real LD surge in solid Leave seats at parliamentary level
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

Based on present national polling and the swing from 2015 Copeland should be neck and neck between the Tories and Labour
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

JWisemann said:

Although I seem to recall I called Trump rather earlier than you did and Sleaford showed there is no real LD surge in solid Leave seats at parliamentary level
    I didn't say I was without fault :)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    HYUFD said:

JWisemann said:

Based on present national polling and the swing from 2015 Copeland should be neck and neck between the Tories and Labour
    Do you think that will be reflected in a by-election? By piling in on Corbyn, the Tories might just be giving people a reason to give both parties a kicking.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

FPT:

Liam Doogan ‏@liamdoogan

Heh.

An idea for a thread,

I do think the lib dem brand will get a credibility benefit from having been in power during the coalition years and of course their remain credentials are clear too for a chunk of those soft blues and reds...
    I've been looking at the churn figures from the last couple of YouGov surveys - for GB-wide Westminster VI, it must be emphasised - and these show 2015 Tory voters standing pretty firm, whilst a large fraction of 2015 Lib Dem voters are crossing to Labour and especially to the Conservatives.

HOWEVER... the total number of 2015 Labour voters crossing in the other direction is sufficient to negate all of the Lib Dems' losses to other parties. If the churn of voters from Labour to Lib Dem, relative to that moving in the opposite direction, were to increase significantly from where it already is then the Lib Dem recovery in the polls ought to accelerate accordingly.

The main issue for me is that, as Labour sinks down to around the 25% mark, I think that the Lib Dems will start to find exploiting what's left of the Labour vote a lot tougher. A lot of the soft-Left Remain voters will already have crossed over, and what remains will be committed Lefties (who like Corbyn, think the Lib Dems are too soft, have not forgiven them for the Coalition, or all three,) along with other groups who are much less likely to be amenable to the yellows and their policy positions than the Metro left-lib vote: staunch Labour cultural/habit voters, the traditional white working class more generally, left-leaning students, BAME voters in the lower half of the income distribution, and the very poor.

I believe that there is the possibility of an eventual crossover and the return of some form of liberal party as the main Opposition. But Labour is still too strong: I don't see that sort of change coming any time soon.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

JWisemann said:

I didn't say I was without fault :)
    Nor am I admittedly
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    Excellent result of the Lib Dems (usual caveats, winter, turnout etc, etc, but still jolly well done.)

While Sunderland council has been solidly Labour, lets not forget 2004-2011 when the Lib Dems ran Newcastle.....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

JWisemann said:

Do you think that will be reflected in a by-election? By piling in on Corbyn, the Tories might just be giving people a reason to give both parties a kicking.
    The LDs only won Richmond Park by piling in (as they probably did in both the wards they won tonight). You have to be in it to win it!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

JWisemann said:

The LDs only won Richmond Park by piling in (as they probably did in both the wards they won tonight). You have to be in it to win it!
    But that was against a de facto government candidate. In Copeland it's the other way round. Isn't there a risk that the message not to vote Labour sinks in without any benefit to the Tories?
  • Options
    Taps Mic...Sniff Sniff....WRRRRRONNNNNGGGGGG 21st Century Socialism Sweeping the nation.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

JWisemann said:

But that was against a de facto government candidate. In Copeland it's the other way round. Isn't there a risk that the message not to vote Labour sinks in without any benefit to the Tories?
    In Richmond it was a 2 horse race between Zac and the LDs, in Copeland it is a 2 horse race between Labour and the Tories so any loss by Labour, even to the LDs or UKIP, is a net gain to the Tories if they get their vote out. Goodnight
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    rcs1000 said:

JWisemann said:

What a kind way of putting it.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    JWisemann said:

Or perhaps too many previous Lib Dem voters thought that the values of the Coalition were safe in the hands of that very nice man, Mr Cameron. They were deceived by Tory propaganda.

It didn`t take them long to realise that if you want to have a liberal society, the best thing to do is vote Lib Dem.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited January 2017
    How Labour ensures a loyal and faithful following:
    https://twitter.com/CllrStopp/status/819470021789437952 Must be a 7-hour trip each way.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

https://twitter.com/CllrStopp/status/819470021789437952 Must be a 7-hour trip each way.

Presumably six of the seven live in Islington, so it's not too far to travel.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,349
    PClipp said:

JWisemann said:

Or perhaps too many previous Lib Dem voters thought that the values of the Coalition were safe in the hands of that very nice man, Mr Cameron. They were deceived by Tory propaganda.

It didn`t take them long to realise that if you want to have a liberal society, the best thing to do is vote Lib Dem.
    You've also got centre-left voters completely abandoned by a Labour party leadership that's as sickening as any Tory. In normal circumstances they'd be voting Labour either out of habit or enthusiasm, but Corbyn's so terrible that even a party they regarded as having made a shocking error in 2010 is preferable. See people like Kate Godfrey - high profile Labour candidate in 2015, as angry as anyone at the Lib Dems, now joined them for lack of any other option.

It's a neglected group, Labour centrists, as there's always been a strange assumption on the left that centrism is a political posture aimed at another group - swing voters. You see this when people like Owen Jones assume that centre-left Labour voters either don't exist outside the PLP and commentariat or will stay with a Labour Party engulfed by their madness out of loyalty and a shared tribal hatred of the Tories. That tribal dislike means they won't ever vote Tory, but they're damned if they're going to support a leader who'd be equally as bad. There may be nowhere else to go but it doesn't matter anyway as you're choosing between the deliberately rubbish and the accidentally rubbish out of delusion and incompetence.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    rcs1000 said:

Anorak said:

Presumably six of the seven live in Islington, so it's not too far to travel.
    Amusing but wrong :)

All three that made the shortlist are based in Cumbria, at the very least.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Matthew Goodwin:

"The British Labour Party is in meltdown. After reviving the center-left in the 1990s, and then dominating British politics until 2010, Labour now faces the gravest challenge in its 116-year history. One of the oldest social-democratic parties in the world is fighting to survive; there is no guarantee it will."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/11/opinion/old-labour-new-labour-no-labour.html?smid=tw-nytopinion&smtyp=cur&_r=0
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    The thing about Labour's situation is, I don't get what the *left* think they're getting out of keeping Corbyn and losing elections.

I mean, I know there are people out there who only get their news from social media and don't believe in polls and their friends only share results when they when win a parish council, but there must be a bunch of reasonably sophisticated people at the centre; What's their game-plan?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited January 2017
    I wonder whether Remainers are voting solely on the basis of the Referendum whereas Leavers having won aren't?

What's more Remainers have only one choice of party whereas Leavers have several

To most Remainers that I know there is nothing in British politics which comes close in terms of importance which inevitably means voting Lib Dem.

• Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

The thing about Labour's situation is, I don't get what the *left* think they're getting out of keeping Corbyn and losing elections.

I mean, I know there are people out there who only get their news from social media and don't believe in polls and their friends only share results when they when win a parish council, but there must be a bunch of reasonably sophisticated people at the centre; What's their game-plan?

Tide is turning against Corbyn - I think the fact that he went for this reset is evidence his team sees that also.

But the rebels massively massively messed up by going too soon. It was silly to think the electorate would have changed its mind in under a year having given Corbyn such a landslide previously.

If they'd just given at least a pretence of support - ditched the anonymous briefings - then they could argue they gave him a chance.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2017
    Now Obama has gone, the world's metro liberal elites favourite politician that has got stupid amount of hero worship for little reason other than appearing to be "cool", is in trouble.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/13/justin-trudeau-under-fire-again-after-using-aga-khans-helicopter

The helicopter stuff seems like small beer, hoisted by own petard...but cash for access stuff is more serious.
  • Options
    BBC setting themselves up as the world police of Fake News...

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jan/12/bbc-sets-up-team-to-debunk-fake-news
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990
    Congrats to the Lib Dems.

We haven't had the usual 'But... but Farron's doing an awful job as leader...' comment yet. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    rkrkrk said:

Tide is turning against Corbyn - I think the fact that he went for this reset is evidence his team sees that also.

But the rebels massively massively messed up by going too soon. It was silly to think the electorate would have changed its mind in under a year having given Corbyn such a landslide previously.

If they'd just given at least a pretence of support - ditched the anonymous briefings - then they could argue they gave him a chance.
    They had no option but to go against him when they did. They could see what the public couldn't and they realized that if they went along with him they'd all be tarred with the same brush. Whats more he was making life for the PLP impossible. By now the whole party would be in meltdown.

As it is when the leadership goes there will be a salvagable part of the party still in place to take over
  • Options
    I read this story about potential floods on the east coast:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38605842

Obviously sad, hope it doesn't happen, etc. However the following:
    Emergency services were putting an evacuation plan into action in Jaywick, near Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, with police officers going door-to-door to inform residents of the evacuation beginning at 07:00 GMT on Friday.
    Leaflets warned residents their properties "could be flooded by sea water up to a depth of three metres".
    made me wonder if the residents of Jaywick would want to go back after he evacuation ...
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Now Obama has gone, the world's metro liberal elites favourite politician that has got stupid amount of hero worship for little reason other than appearing to be "cool", is in trouble.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/13/justin-trudeau-under-fire-again-after-using-aga-khans-helicopter

The helicopter stuff seems like small beer, hoisted by own petard...but cash for access stuff is more serious.

Do you live in Hartlepool? There seems to be a hardcore of PBers who are obsessed by 'metropolitan elites'. Where does this inferiority complex come from?

It might be cold but at least you've got the sea.
  • Options

Anecdata:

I talked to a very lefty acquaintance about this immediately pre-Brexit. He's an intelligent chap, married to an intelligent woman, but both are just-about-managing group (there's a handy term for this which I've annoyingly forgotten).

He's in his mid-thirties and a lifelong Labour voter who - apparently (*) - was not too keen on Blair, but at least it meant Labour was in power.

As far as he's concerned, there's something wrong if he works as hard as he does, with a good job, and yet they are just about managing. They cannot afford to buy a house in this area. Much of their income is going on rent.

In fact, the same arguments as many people make about why people voted Kipper or for Brexit. In the case of UKIP / Brexit, the problems are the immigrants. In his case, it's the nebulous grouping of 'the rich'.

In both cases, it's the fault of the others.

Corbyn should tap into those feelings about an unequal society well, as UKIP tapped into immigration. There's some truth in it. But I'm far from sure he does.

(*) I don't believe him. I bet he was cheering from the rooftops in 1997, 2001 and 2005.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2017
    Roger said:

Do you live in Hartlepool? There seems to be a hardcore of PBers who are obsessed by 'metropolitan elites'. Where does this inferiority complex come from?

No inferiority complex here...luckily I have a far more rewarding life than having to make the likes of tampax ads for a living.
  • Options

Roger said:

No inferiority complex here...luckily I have a far more rewarding life than having to make the likes of tampax ads for a living.
    It could be worse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF6rFpyXwbY
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    AndyJS said:

Matthew Goodwin:

"The British Labour Party is in meltdown. After reviving the center-left in the 1990s, and then dominating British politics until 2010, Labour now faces the gravest challenge in its 116-year history. One of the oldest social-democratic parties in the world is fighting to survive; there is no guarantee it will."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/11/opinion/old-labour-new-labour-no-labour.html?smid=tw-nytopinion&smtyp=cur&_r=0

In the early twentieth century the emerging new divide in British politics was around class, with the developing empowerment of blue collar working people raising new issues on which the Liberals struggled to articulate a coherent response; the party had interests and traditions on both side of the emerging divide and consequently could not be an effective champion for one side or the other.

The emerging divide in politics nowadays appears to be about the future for a small-l liberal society, and Labour finds itself trying to straddle the divide. Its recent attempted line about speaking for the whole country rather than one side or the other of the EU debate sounds too reminiscent of the LibDems 'not one thing or the other' positioning during the 2015 election, and it is hard to see it working out well? If it were just the EU, they could I guess sit and wait for the issue to fade away (quite a few years off IMHO) but if Brexit is symptomatic of a new fault line emerging in politics across the world then that approach isn't going to work for Labour.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

JWisemann said:

Available evidence suggests a significant fraction of those voters who stuck with the Lib Dems in 2015 have since crossed over to support the Conservatives: there is flow in both directions, but the proportion of the total 2015 vote crossing from LD to Con is much greater than that shifting from Con to LD.

It may be that too many previous Lib Dem voters thought that the values of the Coalition were safe in the hands of that very nice man, Mr Clegg...
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

rcs1000 said:

FPT:

Liam Doogan ‏@liamdoogan

Heh.

An idea for a thread,

I believe the shit hit the....
    He tabled a motion?
  • Options
    Roger said:

I wonder whether Remainers are voting solely on the basis of the Referendum whereas Leavers having won aren't?

What's more Remainers have only one choice of party whereas Leavers have several

To most Remainers that I know there is nothing in British politics which comes close in terms of importance which inevitably means voting Lib Dem.

No.

It would be an awful mistake for any of us to assume, based on a sample consisting of our own social circle, that all voters are both massively politically engaged and determined to fight trench warfare over this referendum.

I reckon that most of the people who voted last June did so pragmatically, accepted the result immediately (even if they were on the losing side and thought it misguided,) and moved on.

I also suspect that many, and probably most, of the "48%" are not obsessed by Europe. They don't sit at the breakfast table each morning, thumbing through their copies of The New European whilst discussing how Article 50 might be bogged down in the House of Lords, the chances of engineering a second vote, and waxing lyrically about the lonely heroism of Gina Miller or Jolyon Maugham.

Certainly most centre-right Remain voters are liable to be much more concerned about any remote prospect of Jeremy Corbyn laying a hand on the levers of power than they are about leaving the EU. Especially given that the next general election is liable to take place in 2020, and after the country has already left the EU, they'll be vastly more interested in electing a halfway sensible Government than in wasting their vote making a futile protest over a referendum held four years previously.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Matthew Goodwin:

Goodwin is also he who predicted Ukip would win half-a-dozen seats in GE2015. He talks a lot of sense, but his prophecies of doom may be slightly overdone.

Labour still has a chance to come back from this, but it does all depend on what the anti-Corbyn element does over the next few years. If they resign themselves to defeat in the next election and wait for the mass membership to come to its senses then they're probably on a hiding to nothing.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

JWisemann said:

Finally. It's taken a long time, but at last someone has come up with actual vote numbers, not just percentages.

Number of votes cast last time the seat was contested: 5,987
    Votes cast in by election: 1,832

So turnout in the by election was 30.6% of that of the last election.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653

Roger said:

No.

It would be an awful mistake for any of us to assume, based on a sample consisting of our own social circle, that all voters are both massively politically engaged and determined to fight trench warfare over this referendum.

I reckon that most of the people who voted last June did so pragmatically, accepted the result immediately (even if they were on the losing side and thought it misguided,) and moved on.

I also suspect that many, and probably most, of the "48%" are not obsessed by Europe. They don't sit at the breakfast table each morning, thumbing through their copies of The New European whilst discussing how Article 50 might be bogged down in the House of Lords, the chances of engineering a second vote, and waxing lyrically about the lonely heroism of Gina Miller or Jolyon Maugham.

Certainly most centre-right Remain voters are liable to be much more concerned about any remote prospect of Jeremy Corbyn laying a hand on the levers of power than they are about leaving the EU. Especially given that the next general election is liable to take place in 2020, and after the country has already left the EU, they'll be vastly more interested in electing a halfway sensible Government than in wasting their vote making a futile protest over a referendum held four years previously.
    Agree entirely.

For someone who works in Advertising Roger has a charming, if misplaced, impression that voters/viewers give a shit about what we're saying are giving this their undivided attention - or indeed any attention at all.

More anecdata - maybe 2% of my Facebook friends are banging on endlessly about the evils of Brexit, most are going back to their previous activity of posting visits to the opera, first steps of their toddler, restaurant recommendations and holiday snaps. And of those 2% 'something must be done' its very far from clear what something if anything involves......at a guess another three years of moaning about the Tories, and that's about it.

This contrasts completely with, for example, the Falklands war (in the years before the internet) where it was the morning coffee topic of conversation with people surreptitiously playing portable radios in the office so they could keep abreast of the news.....each new rumour rippling through the office as it came.....that had people's attention.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I see we have another thread in which the usual suspects will fervently deny in the teeth of all available evidence that the Lib Dems are managing some sort of a revival. Ah well, whatever keeps them warm at night.
  • Options

I see we have another thread in which the usual suspects will fervently deny in the teeth of all available evidence that the Lib Dems are managing some sort of a revival. Ah well, whatever keeps them warm at night.

Worth noting that for all the kipper frothing, the LDs are the only party led by a socially conservative with a reasonably working class background.

With the Tories looking like a party set on car crash hard Brexit there is real space in the centreground.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,328
    I'm pleased the Lib Dems are happy.

They've been through a lot over recent years, and probably won't enjoy the next few years either.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,714
    Sunderland should have been fertile territory for UKIP and in this seat they were second to Labour with 26% but instead of taking it they dropped by 7%.
    Amazing swing to the LibDems in an iconic 'Leave' area.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Sunderland should have been fertile territory for UKIP and in this seat they were second to Labour with 26% but instead of taking it they dropped by 7%.

A Leave area dependent on exporting via the single market.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,328

The Lib Dems would like to think these votes are about the EU, but there is no evidence to support that.

I suspect this is simply down to them becoming the non-offensive 'none of the above' option once more. It also helps that many LD councillors are actually not too bad at their job, certainly compared to UKIP.

Most voters don't know what the LD position even is on Brexit - or even the name of their leader - and, of those that do, they consider it irrelevant in a local by election.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    I can see a reallignment underway with con and lab voters switching to lib dem. And labour becoming a bitter, minority protest party. Post brexit tuition fees, like Heathrow expansion, have been subsumed by bigger issues. But the Libs themselves are a divided lot.
    What are the turnout figures here? If low it doesn't say that much.
  • Options
    So this Sunderland byelection. Councillor Debra Waller booted off for non-attendance. Her husband is then selected. Who amazingly enough loses a safe seat...
  • Options

Alright, who has been denying the Lib Dem revival? On the naughty step with you!
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,714

The Lib Dems would like to think these votes are about the EU, but there is no evidence to support that.

I suspect this is simply down to them becoming the non-offensive 'none of the above' option once more. It also helps that many LD councillors are actually not too bad at their job, certainly compared to UKIP.

Most voters don't know what the LD position even is on Brexit - or even the name of their leader - and, of those that do, they consider it irrelevant in a local by election.
    "The Lib Dems would like to think these votes are about the EU, but there is no evidence to support that."
    Well the second placed party was virulently anti-EU.the fourth placed party was the most pro-EU of the lot and they leapt from 4% to 45%. So, maybe a teensy bit of evidence?
  • Options

So this Sunderland byelection. Councillor Debra Waller booted off for non-attendance. Her husband is then selected. Who amazingly enough loses a safe seat...

That's only a partial excuse. The candidate was not forced on the local party; it was chosen by them. You have to wonder what malaise they're suffering from to pick such an obviously unsuitable candidate (*). Is the malaise something local, or has it spread wider within local constituencies?

(*) Except not many (any?) people were using this excuse on here before this morning ...
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Spinning here.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,979
    As a LD sympathiser, can only say Oh Frabjous Day. Caloo Calay!
  • Options

That's only a partial excuse. The candidate was not forced on the local party; it was chosen by them. You have to wonder what malaise they're suffering from to pick such an obviously unsuitable candidate (*). Is the malaise something local, or has it spread wider within local constituencies?

(*) Except not many (any?) people were using this excuse on here before this morning ...
    I doubt many people knew anything about this by election before this morning!
  • Options

"The Lib Dems would like to think these votes are about the EU, but there is no evidence to support that."

What sort of electoral results would make you think otherwise?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Note the 'on here' ;)
  • Options

RobD said:

Note the 'on here' ;)
    Yeah, I was referring to people on here, if that's what you mean?
  • Options

I've been looking at the churn figures from the last couple of YouGov surveys - for GB-wide Westminster VI, it must be emphasised - and these show 2015 Tory voters standing pretty firm, whilst a large fraction of 2015 Lib Dem voters are crossing to Labour and especially to the Conservatives.

HOWEVER... the total number of 2015 Labour voters crossing in the other direction is sufficient to negate all of the Lib Dems' losses to other parties. If the churn of voters from Labour to Lib Dem, relative to that moving in the opposite direction, were to increase significantly from where it already is then the Lib Dem recovery in the polls ought to accelerate accordingly.

If that's the case then that's great news for the LDs if they can recover their 2015 lost voters ...
  • Options

Roger said:

No.

Two pieces of evidence from the last two days alone

1. That the Lib Dems are soaring and not just at the expense of an enfeebled Labour Party but from the Tories too

2. I heard Question Time last night and I found the lady from the Open University convincing and it was clear from the audience reaction that nothing came close to exercising them more than the referendum.

Small straws in the wind but i haven't seen anything to suggest that everyone's just shrugged their shoulders and moved on as you and Carlotta suggest
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,977
    edited January 2017

What sort of electoral results would make you think otherwise?
    An election that was extended mattered beyond the council boundary where the vote is about the most effective campaign / Councillor for that local authority. Labour councils in Sunderland and all the North East are currently suffering from continual budget costs (down to virtually nothing beyond absolute core services).

so if you are not voting for the Labour candidate (due to blaming the cuts on Sunderland's Labour Leadership), you vote for the next least worst candidate, and that is likely to be the Lib Dem...
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Even a glove puppet with a yellow rosette will win more voters over than Corbyn.

As Sunderland's voters very unkeen on supporting Remain last summer, Farron is going to have his work cut out trying to square the circle.
This discussion has been closed.