Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Stoke Central, where MP Tristram Hunt is resigning, could be a

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited January 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Stoke Central, where MP Tristram Hunt is resigning, could be a tight four-way contest

Westminster by-election alert. Stoke Central later in year following MP's appointment as Director of the V&A pic.twitter.com/GQ9lRUgqUt

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited January 2017
    First like Labour.
  • Options
    I'm backing the Lib Dems at 50/1

And this seat is made for Ed Balls.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    edited January 2017
    I got the feeling that Tristram Hunt would have preferred to be an Islington MP.

As a Cambridge educated historian it is Parliament's loss and the V&A's gain.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @WikiGuido: No chance of Nigel Farage running in Stoke-on-Trent, his spokesman says.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

JackW said:

The reverse being the case should OGH ever leave the yellow peril .. :smiley:
    Welcome back Jack!

Hope all is well.

JackW said:

Hurrah!
    Welcome back.
    Thank you.

My deferred autumn medical intervention aka the Annual JackW Nurses Escape and Evasion Competition was a total success and failure depending on the contestants viewpoint.

I left smiling ....
    I hope the communal showers weren't golden ...
    Is that a piss take ?!? .. :sunglasses:

FPT

Thanks to all for the kind words.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Isn't Ed Balls, like Gladstone, too busy conversing with Loose Women to contest Stoke?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Problem for Balls is he would have to get selected first..
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Scott_P said:
    They probably were. I imagine the culture dept would know he got the job.

wonder if the tories have been doing any leafleting in Stoke the last few weeks?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    Lads 20/1 Lib Dems
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Labour will win with a locally rooted candidate.

Tbe dislike of the Westminster Spadocracy is their remoteness, as much as their views on Brexit.
  • Options
    In less than 25 mins the Lib Dems have moved from 50/1 to 20/1 with Shadsy.

Mike moves markets.
  • Options
    Plenty of value with the yellow peril in Stoke Central as a trading bet.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Welcome back Jack!

Hope all is well.

JackW said:

Hurrah!
    Welcome back.
    Thank you.

My deferred autumn medical intervention aka the Annual JackW Nurses Escape and Evasion Competition was a total success and failure depending on the contestants viewpoint.

I left smiling ....

FPT

Welcome back Jack!

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    TGOHF said:

why bother, if the seat is to disappear under boundary changes?
  • Options
    Weren't the BNP relatively strong in Stoke, is that still the case?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @JackW it's good to see you back. I hope you're in better health now.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,718
    LibDems down to 8 to 1 on Ladbrokes
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Scott_P said:

@WikiGuido: No chance of Nigel Farage running in Stoke-on-Trent, his spokesman says.

Well. He's probably running then.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

TGOHF said:

why bother, if the seat is to disappear under boundary changes?
    Corbyn might fall down a hole.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    JackW said:

Ladbrokes now make the LDs 20/1

• Options
    With both Jamie Reed and Tristram Hunt both leaving, am I right to infer from that they think Corbyn isn't going anywhere?
  • Options
    Paddy Power
    2/7 Lab
    4/1 Ukip
    9/1 Con
    16/1 LD
    200/1 Green
  • Options

Weren't the BNP relatively strong in Stoke, is that still the case?

FWIW FPT:

isam said:

Now that is another interesting by-election:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/stoke-on-trentcentral/

2015 Result:
    Conservative: 7008 (22.5%)
    Labour: 12220 (39.3%)
    Lib Dem: 1296 (4.2%)
    Green: 1123 (3.6%)
    UKIP: 7041 (22.7%)
    Independent: 2120 (6.8%)
    Others: 276 (0.9%)
    MAJORITY: 5179 (16.7%)

If UKIP are going to make progress in Labour heartlands, this is the sort of seat they've got to be doing it in.

Wow.

Difficult to read. It could go three-way marginal.

However, on current trends, I'd expect Lib Dems to lift (possibly to 20-22%), UKIP to slip to 10-12%, Tories to advance a bit to 26-27%, but Labour to slip to around 31-32%. Others ~ 12-14%.

In a general, it could go Tory.
    Ukip got to be a buy at 12%
    I'm buying UKIP at 12% as well on that.

I'd buy UKIP at 22.7% come to that.
    For a GE the independent did well at 6.8%. Seems a genuine local advocate, angry about how the Labour party turned its back on the locals by dropping Hunt into a safe seat.

https://pitsnpots.co.uk/2010/04/mark-breeze-indpendent-candidate-stoke-trent-south/

Labour may well recapture these votes if they continue to pick local canditates rooted in their areas, as in Copeland.
  • Options
    FPT

Tristram Hunt's resignation letter is astonishingly badly written:

...I also believe the programe which myself, Kevin Brennan and the Shadow Education team developed...

and incoherent:

As I enter a new role as a public servant, I will be leaving partisan politics behind me.
    I will always be Labour..

It's interesting that he feels the Pottery's fortunes reached a nadir in the early 2000's, i.e. under New Labour, and have been good for the last six and a half years, under coalition and Conservative governments.
    Appalling use of the reflexive pronoun. I know it's not wholly his fault - kids today aren't taught the rudiments of grammar - but doesn't this chap have some pretensions to learning?
  • Options
    @PolhomeEditor: Aaron Bastani says Tristram Hunt and Jamie Reed have no "backbone" and are "nonentities".
  • Options

In less than 25 mins the Lib Dems have moved from 50/1 to 20/1 with Shadsy.

Mike moves markets.

Mike is like the a betting genie .... he rubs his head, shines advice and the wagering world takes note.
  • Options

JackW said:

Have you ever won a 50/1 political bet?
  • Options
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Rods by election model might just combust with all these by elections going on this Parliament!
  • Options

JackW said:

Nah. He would have mentioned it if he had.
  • Options
    UKIP must win this or they have no point existing any more. It's tailor made for them - Leader's NW patch, overwhelming Leave vote, start from 2nd, sub-10% swing required.

If they don't win this set-piece, they'll win nowt in 2020.
  • Options

Nobody betting on Kippers?

Maybe waiting for this

@LOS_Fisher: Ukip has bought itself time to choose candidate for Stoke-on-Trent C byelxn. Will wait until Sunday 21st January to unveil choice.
  • Options
    They're 4/1 w Paddy, so can't imagine 5/2 is that tempting
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,997
    My view: the Lib Dems stand no chance of a win in SoTC. They might considerably up their vote though.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

My view: the Lib Dems stand no chance of a win in SoTC. They might considerably up their vote though.

My view too. Stoke is Leaver central; historically, I imagine, their 2nd places were based on being the default opposition to Labour.

May and or Nuttall change that.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited January 2017
    LD's were a back @ 50/1

Not tempted at much lower odds though.

My initial thought was 20/1 - if they get their 2010 voters out and UKIP/Lab/Con/Ind(?) split the rest on a low turnout.

Not likely, but also not 50/1.

Sadly I don't have a functional ladbrokes account.
  • Options
    @foxinsoxuk & @AlastairMeeks

Thank you.

Mrs JackW has ordered me to resist all attempts at bodily expiration. The consequences of refusal would be terminal .... :smile:
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

My view too. Stoke is Leaver central; historically, I imagine, their 2nd places were based on being the default opposition to Labour.

So Nuttall could win it for UKIP?
  • Options

With both Jamie Reed and Tristram Hunt both leaving, am I right to infer from that they think Corbyn isn't going anywhere?

Probably. But also that even if we do get some new leader who is acceptable to Labour's membership the party is still not going to be in power anytime soon. The momentLabour start looking competitive again we will all start to remember the electoral mathematics that Scotland forces in the system. Labour can only really aspire to govern in coalition with the Nats. Cue Tory posters of Labour leader in Nat leader's pocket followed by a Tory win. We seem to have forgotten the long term and enormous damage the destructoin of Labour in Scotland implies for their UK-wide ability to form a government.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

FPT

...I also believe the programe which myself, Kevin Brennan and the Shadow Education team developed...

and incoherent:

As I enter a new role as a public servant, I will be leaving partisan politics behind me.

It's interesting that he feels the Pottery's fortunes reached a nadir in the early 2000's, i.e. under New Labour, and have been good for the last six and a half years, under coalition and Conservative governments.
    Appalling use of the reflexive pronoun. I know it's not wholly his fault - kids today aren't taught the rudiments of grammar - but doesn't this chap have some pretensions to learning?
    Cambridge

Both of them? :)
  • Options
    LibDems now 7 to 1 on Ladbrokes.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

So Nuttall could win it for UKIP?
    Nah, but he ensures that the LDs stand no chance of winning.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Mortimer said:

FPT

and incoherent:

Cambridge
    People who go to Cambridge are too busy changing the world to bother with the niceties of reflexive pronouns. ;)
  • Options
    Does anyone know when Natalie McGarry's trial is?

That's another potential by election if she's found guilty.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

I got the feeling that Tristram Hunt would have preferred to be an Islington MP.

Hmmm... Being a few years older than you, Tristram was my contemporary at Trinity. I'm not convinced he is more than second rate.
  • Options

JackW said:

Quite so. OGH is more likely to rally to the Blackburn Rovers cause than infer a betting triumph on such a scale.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Hmmm... Being a few years older than you, Tristram was my contemporary at Trinity. I'm not convinced he is more than second rate.
    Your father told me that, but I really did enjoy his Building Jerusalem book.
  • Options

6 to 1
  • Options
    Tristram Hunt: against elitism and grammar schools. So becomes director of the V&A? Nice one
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,928
    edited January 2017
    Hmm I think the 6-1 available on Bangladesh is better than backing the Lib Dems in Copeland.

542-7 stumps day 2.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,299
    fpt

I have to say I'm generally in @JWisemann's camp on this. If the only purpose that Tristram Hunt had in being in Parliament was to advance Tristram Hunt's career then Labour is probably (given its current ideological ferment) better off without him.

If he had an ideological reason for being in politics, he should be finding a way to fight for his cause. It seems that actually fighting for any such cause is beneath him.

What does the Labour right actually stand for?

He stands for what NPXMPX2 might call the "hard right" of the party. They have had their party taken away from them and, courtesy of Momentum, it ain't coming back ahead of a shellacking at the next GE. That is a lot to ask of an MP to be fighting against something for such a time, and yet at the same time, on DP, WatO, Pienaar, etc, be expected to endorse a position he is hugely at odds with.
  • Options
    I'm surprised nobody has made a "rats leaving a sinking ship" remark about Hunt. Not comparing him to a rat, but I can't think of any comparable time where so many opposition MPs have caused by-elections by quitting to take up a new non-political job.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2017
    Great to see @JackW back!

50/1 was a great bet. The current 6/1 isn't!

My initial guess: Labour will hold this, UKIP to go backwards considerably, LibDems to achieve a very big increase in their vote, maybe getting second place, Tories to go modestly backwards.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Welcome back Jack!

Hope all is well.

JackW said:

Hurrah!
    Welcome back.
    Thank you.

I left smiling ....

FPT

Let me add mine: welcome back!
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Tristram Hunt: against elitism and grammar schools. So becomes director of the V&A? Nice one

Quite.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    98% book lads and pp

8/13 Lab
    9/2 Ukip
    10/1 con
    10/1 ld
  • Options

Yes, you have to be quick.
    I saw the 50 to 1, logged in it was 20 to 1, got 12 to 1 and now it's 6 to 1.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,670

That wouldn't be the same Tristram Hunt, sent by his Labour father (and Blair enobled peer) to a public school would it?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

fpt

I have to say I'm generally in @JWisemann's camp on this. If the only purpose that Tristram Hunt had in being in Parliament was to advance Tristram Hunt's career then Labour is probably (given its current ideological ferment) better off without him.

If he had an ideological reason for being in politics, he should be finding a way to fight for his cause. It seems that actually fighting for any such cause is beneath him.

He stands for what NPXMPX2 might call the "hard right" of the party. They have had their party taken away from them and, courtesy of Momentum, it ain't coming back ahead of a shellacking at the next GE. That is a lot to ask of an MP to be fighting against something for such a time, and yet at the same time, on DP, WatO, Pienaar, etc, be expected to endorse a position he is hugely at odds with.
    Then maybe he needs to consider a different approach. He's supposedly one of the leaders of that hard right of the party. Leaders don't just give up.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
  • Options

My guess: Labour will hold this, UKIP to go backwards considerably, LibDems to achieve a very big increase in their vote, maybe getting second place, Tories to go modestly backwards.

Thank you Nabbers.

I concur with your assessment.

@TOPPING Cheers.
  • Options
    It is a very big mistake to see the Corbynistas as one big ideological block. I did a guide to them after Corbyn's last leadership victory on PB and I think it remains accurate ...
    •The Trots – these are the entryists, the people from the SWP, the Socialist party and other far left fringe groups who see Corbyn as their way into the mainstream. Corbyn, John McDonnell and the Momentum leadership are probably closest to this group than any other, which is what makes it so significant and dangerous – but it is small.
    •The implacable lefties – not Trots, democratic socialists who see the Blair/Brown years largely as a betrayal of what they think Labour should stand for and who feel that they have their Labour party back with Jeremy Corbyn.
    •The lefties – they do not subscribe to the idea that the 1997-2010 government was to all intents and purposes a Tory one. Instead, they believe that Blair and Brown did some good things; but could and should have achieved much more. They regard Corbyn as a means of ensuring that Labour becomes more left-wing in outlook and less managerial. They also understand Corbyn has many flaws, but for now (key phrase) are prepared to overlook them because they do not see a more electable alternative.
    •The angry – there is a fair bit of overlap here between these folk and the lefties. They are furious that the PLP precipitated “a coup” just at a time when, they believe, Labour could have had the Tories on the ropes. Whatever they think about Corbyn, there was no way on earth they were going to allow the PLP to ride roughshod over the mandate that members had given him in 2015.
    •The anti-Smiths – Those who saw the contest in terms of who had the best policies for beating the Tories. Some of those are not lefties or angry, but just did not rate Smith as a candidate – so they voted for Corbyn.
    The first bullet point is forever Corbyn, but even the second one may not be now. The key to him going is the PLP and the left coming to an understanding that the party has moved leftwards, but that a leader who has supported the IRA and other terrorist organisations, who winces in the presence of the Union Jack and who is not interested in winning power through Parliament is a non-starter.
    Since September, Momentum has started to tear itself apart, Corbyn has become more unpopular among the electorate and has swung wildly on positions he was supposed to hold sacrosanct while proving he is utterly incapable of leadership, and Donald Trump has been elected president while Theresa May has positioned the UK for a hard Brexit. All the mood music is different. Corbyn is going and UKIP could deliver the coup de grace.
  • Options

I'm surprised nobody has made a "rats leaving a sinking ship" remark about Hunt. Not comparing him to a rat, but I can't think of any comparable time where so many opposition MPs have caused by-elections by quitting to take up a new non-political job.

Hardly surprising though. We have a hard left leader and membership profoundly at odds with a more moderate parliamentary group of MPs. The more centrist MPs now have no hope. They'll never see power, they'll get endlessly attacked by Momentum bullies. Really what is left for them but to look to new horizons?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,670
    After Tristram was parachuted in over the heads of the infuriated local party in 2010 Labour would be bonkers not to go with a local candidate......
  • Options

TOPPING said:

fpt

Then maybe he needs to consider a different approach. He's supposedly one of the leaders of that hard right of the party. Leaders don't just give up.
    Perhaps he and Jamie Reed view themselves as kamikaze pilots, losing a couple of seats might help topple Corbyn.
  • Options
    Pls turn the lights out
  • Options

What is elitist about the V&A?
  • Options
    So your view is Labour sub 70 at the 2020 General Election .... might be optimistic at the present rate .... Chortle .... :smile:
  • Options

TOPPING said:

fpt

A good general knows when he has been beaten and to sue for terms. He would have better success joining the Cons and campaigning to keep them mild-right of centre than trying to haul Lab back to mild-left of centre.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

After Tristram was parachuted in over the heads of the infuriated local party in 2010 Labour would be bonkers not to go with a local candidate......

Isn't his local CLP full of Momentum types now?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    Hunt is everything that is wrong with right on politics. He publically derides grammar education having been privately educated himself, and making a success of his career thanks to that very education. I cannot stand the man, and I cannot stand the destructive leftist anti-education ideology that him and his ilk carry around with them. I say a very good riddance to him.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
  • Options
    Tristram Hunt's finest ever contribution

https://twitter.com/TristramHuntMP/status/671335810696880128
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

fpt

I'm starting to think that the biggest problem facing the "hard right" (*) in the Labour party is that they haven't got a leader who can come up with an alternative vision for the country.

At the moment there is Momentum / Corbynism for the left to coalesce around. Who is forming a nucleus of people and ideas for the centre-left? Who is theorising, yet alone elucidating, an alternative? They're headless chickens.

*If* the centrists had had such a vision, and someone who could sell it, they might have beaten Corbyn. Instead they had Owen Smith and Angela Eagles.

Labour are f*cked for 2020. 2025 doesn't look good. They may be f*cked for good.

(*) I still think that it's an utterly ridiculous term to use.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Quite so. OGH is more likely to rally to the Blackburn Rovers cause than infer a betting triumph on such a scale.
    Welcome back Mr W
  • Options

Yep - let's ban museums.

• Options
    I doubt it would take much money to shift it from 50-1 to 8-1, less than £200 i would say
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Contrary to a couple of postings , the initial boundary proposals do not abolish Stoke Central . The seat basically remains but becomes Stoke South . However as in the aborted 2013 review it is more likely that the Staffs constituency to disappear will be Stone .
  • Options

TOPPING said:

fpt

I'm starting to think that the biggest problem facing the "hard right" (*) in the Labour party is that they haven't got a leader who can come up with an alternative vision for the country.

At the moment there is Momentum / Corbynism for the left to coalesce around. Who is forming a nucleus of people and ideas for the centre-left? Who is theorising, yet alone elucidating, an alternative? They're headless chickens.

*If* the centrists had had such a vision, and someone who could sell it, they might have beaten Corbyn. Instead they had Owen Smith and Angela Eagles.

Labour are f*cked for 2020. 2025 doesn't look good. They may be f*cked for good.

That's exactly their problem. They know what they're against. They have no idea what they're for.

In many ways Labour's problems stem from this extreme weakness on the right rather than from any great strength on the left. If the right of the party had a clear vision, the left wouldn't be getting a look in.
  • Options
    Jason said:

Hunt is everything that is wrong with right on politics. He publically derides grammar education having been privately educated himself, and making a success of his career thanks to that very education. I cannot stand the man, and I cannot stand the destructive leftist anti-education ideology that him and his ilk carry around with them. I say a very good riddance to him.

I have few problems with someone who has been educated privately arguing against private or selective education. They can just say: "Yes, I had the advantage of such an education. It was not my choice. But having been through the system, I can see the problems it causes." etc, etc.

The hypocrisy is when people argue against such systems despite using them themselves; in the case of education, by sending their kids to such schools.

Can anybody think of a high-profile politician close to Corbyn who might have shown such hypocrisy in the past?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

TOPPING said:

fpt

They never wanted a target on their backs (politically speaking, although.....).
  • Options

TOPPING said:

fpt

First, it is ridiculous. But using it is a neat shorthand for where the Labour Party is right now.

Second, yes I agree. There is no articulation of what a soft/leftish centre party in the UK should look like. A bit more spending, slightly higher taxes, a bit more redistribution. Nothing to put in huge letters on the front of an election leaflet. That was of course EdM's problem in the debates. He equivocated on the deficit/austerity and hence there was no message. It was also the problem for the challengers. At least Jezza had no issue with dismissing austerity (as indeed has Tezza done now).

Politics has come to be a fight over an increasingly small centre ground one way or another. If Tezza moves further away from that, then that will open up a space for those Lab hard righters. But that isn't going to come until Lab has ditched Jezza and I can see why Tristram didn't want to wait.
  • Options
    ShropshireLaddShropshireLadd Posts: 27
    edited January 2017

Jason said:

The hypocrisy is when people argue against such systems despite using them themselves; in the case of education, by sending their kids to such schools.

Can anybody think of a high-profile politician close to Corbyn who might have shown such hypocrisy in the past?

Diane Abbott!

Plus I do have problems with such people taking away that same choice from someone else.
  • Options
    staceyj said:

I doubt it would take much money to shift it from 50-1 to 8-1, less than £200 i would say

Almost certainly, and fair enough really. First up you take let the money shape the market
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Tristrams hair making a guest appearance on that bird wiv the Hoover
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

TOPPING said:

fpt

Agreed. He is only 42! Corbyn will surely be gone one way or the other in five years...

Hard not to think that he didn't want to be an MP... He wanted to be a Minister - and when it looks like that might not happen as quick as he wanted he gave up.

If he's replaced by a local candidate I suspect Stoke will be better off also.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Miss J, welcome to the site.
  • Options

Tristram Hunt's finest ever contribution

https://twitter.com/TristramHuntMP/status/671335810696880128

I hate to disagree with a Cambridge graduate, but I think that tweet's fine.

Hunt is from the centre-left, and the centre-left believe in aspiration for the masses. What is more aspirational for the hoi polloi than going to a Pizza Express rather than a Pizza Hut?

If he'd stayed on, he'd next be welcoming a branch of Patisserie Valerie ;)
  • Options

I wonder if Labour could get Grayson Perry to stand. The country's most famous potter representing a constituency of the Staffordshire Potteries? Might be a clever ruse...
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Yep - let's ban museums.

For the sake of school children? Yes. I'm not sure what was the most boring school trip I went on, but Kew Gardens (a bit different to a museum, I know) probably comes top of the list.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited January 2017
    TOPPING said:

Politics has come to be a fight over an increasingly small centre ground one way or another. If Tezza moves further away from that, then that will open up a space for those Lab hard righters. But that isn't going to come until Lab has ditched Jezza and I can see why Tristram didn't want to wait.

But who's fighting over the centreground now? Labour certainly isn't under Corbyn. May has defined herself by hard Brexit and grammar schools, neither of which are policies designed to entice those who voted Blair.

I wonder if the discrepancy between polls and by-election results can be partly attributed to something new: Shy Lib Dems. Centrist voters may not admit to supporting the Lib Dems any more (Clegg was toxic, Farron's profile is low verging on submarine), but when faced with a ballot paper which offers three other unpalatable alternatives, they conclude that the LDs are the least worst option.
  • Options

6 to 1
    Back to 7/1 now... the wheels are coming off!!
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Absolutely. I think Corbyn hgets this also...

Ironically he imay yet end up overseeing a shift towards MPs being linked much more closely to their communities.... And even away from being so London centric!
This discussion has been closed.