Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May’s big speech – a round up of reaction

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited January 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May’s big speech – a round up of reaction

Theresa May promises a Parliamentary vote on @Brexit, but what does that mean? We explain https://t.co/SvqS1P6UEa pic.twitter.com/uVzopLB3Yb

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Not first again surely?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003
    A poor second.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Tim Farron accuses Theresa May of "waving the white flag from the White Cliffs of Dover".

Seriously? - What an utter prick he is.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Repostwd but I think Starmer reaction is really strange...

Has Keir hurt his chances of replacing Corbyn?

Having said two days ago the PM should rule out hard brexit and commit to single market... He now says she has!?

Feels like he just hasn't been paying attention? Surely other labour MPs won't be keen on this?
    He's supposed to be trying to look competent...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/15/brexit-theresa-may-speech-single-market-labour-keir-starmer
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

Tim Farron accuses Theresa May of "waving the white flag from the White Cliffs of Dover".

It's an odd phrase - but he's done well today. Actually looked like the Opposition Leader.

If Nuttall runs for UKIP in Stoke, it raises the stakes all round. Humiliating him would be a big win for the other parties.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MichaelLCrick: Officially Stoke Ukip members will pick candidate on Fri night. In effect, decision tonight when Ukip bigwigs will give go-ahead to Nuttall
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    I see Sterling had a good day.. *innocent face*
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Assume the positive tweets regarding the speech are being updated to the header as we speak.......

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    RobD said:

interest rate rise panic
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    tpfkar said:

It's an odd phrase - but he's done well today. Actually looked like the Opposition Leader.

If Nuttall runs for UKIP in Stoke, it raises the stakes all round. Humiliating him would be a big win for the other parties.
    Farron is at least getting a hearing. And filling in some of that void where the Labour Party used to be. One consequence of May making her speech outside Parliament is that the LOTO is not given pride of place in responding and Farron, who may or may not have even been called in the House, has taken full advantage. Corbyn, not so much.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    RobD said:

It's safe to go back to your Theresa 'superhero' May avatar. :)
  • Options
    FPT:
    Scott_P said:

@MichaelLCrick: Ukip source says they're picking candidate for Stoke Central tonight. Leader Paul Nuttall IS in the running, I'm told

UKIP 3.35 on Betfair, will surely come in if they pick Nuttall?
    Tories 12.5 looks value too, or does someone know they're not even going to try?
  • Options
    edited January 2017

RobD said:

I think I prefer the one @Morris_Dancer found with her flanked by imperial guards from Star Wars :D
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Farron, who may or may not have even been called in the House, has taken full advantage. Corbyn, not so much.

@sunny_hundal: Seriously. I still can't believe Corbyn's reponse to May's Brexit speech today was some academic waffle about needing more detail. Fucked
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited January 2017
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

interest rate rise panic
    All the way up from 0.25%.

Looks like we might finally see a return to some normality.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited January 2017

We may disagree but it is very quotable.

Normally hard for Lib Dems to get any media coverage.
  • Options
    Poor Mike has to resort to filling the thread header with negative Tweets :lol:
  • Options
    In other news: Vladimir Putin: 'our prostitutes are the best in the world, but I doubt Donald Trump would fall for them' ... :o

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/17/russia-calls-british-author-donald-trump-dossier-runaway-swindler/

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616
    DavidL said:

tpfkar said:

Farron is at least getting a hearing. And filling in some of that void where the Labour Party used to be. One consequence of May making her speech outside Parliament is that the LOTO is not given pride of place in responding and Farron, who may or may not have even been called in the House, has taken full advantage. Corbyn, not so much.
    I imagine that this evening's Channel 4 news will include a 20 minute soft-soap interview with Farron, and everyone agreeing how beastly Brexit is.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    Farron has a position to stick to for the lib dems to have any chance of surviving in future general elections, so I understand why he spouts the bs he does to appease Remainers. As desperately irritating and as transparent as he is, it is at least a marked position - unlike Labour's. Who can say with any conviction what Labour's position is? To remain members of the single market is to remain a member of the EU, yet all the front bench hacks keeps saying they will not block A50 or vote against the government proposals.

Never has a front bench of any party looked so woefully inadequate as Labour's does right now.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    Sandpit said:

FPT:

Scott_P said:

@MichaelLCrick: Ukip source says they're picking candidate for Stoke Central tonight. Leader Paul Nuttall IS in the running, I'm told

Tories 12.5 looks value too, or does someone know they're not even going to try?
    I could be wrong, but I suspect there are shy Labour voters in Stoke, simply because Tristram was... errr... not a natural fit for the constituency.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    DavidL said:

tpfkar said:

Good point. Although just imagine you are Jeremy Corbyn, sitting in the House, having to respond to the speech you are hearing in front of you in an informed and coherent manner in the most intense scrutiny, knowing your party is totally split. At least he escaped that.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,677
    TGOHF said:

Assume the positive tweets regarding the speech are being updated to the header as we speak.......

Don't hold your breath.....

Heck.....even the FT was vaguely positive:

http://blogs.ft.com/david-allen-green/2017/01/17/theresa-mays-speech-means-the-brexit-phony-war-may-be-ending/
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,718
    "Pound soars as Theresa May soothes European single market fears
    Pound on course for biggest rise in eight years after PM says she will seek to preserve some single market arrangements."
    Citywire Money
  • Options

DavidL said:

tpfkar said:

I imagine that this evening's Channel 4 news will include a 20 minute soft-soap interview with Farron, and everyone agreeing how beastly Brexit is.
    Very likely. Will Corbyn even get a mention? Completely irrelevant. The chart that Mike showed of the proportion of remainers supporting the Lib Dems is only going to go in one direction, albeit I suspect the absolute number of die in the ditch remainers will fall over time.
  • Options
    Matthew Goodwin: Some folks need reality check. If appeals to economic self-interest worked we would have voted to Remain. PM May will be v popular. Watch.
  • Options
    Both Labour & the SNP chewing wasps:

7. Protect workers’ rights

And a fairer Britain is a country that protects and enhances the rights people have at work.

That is why, as we translate the body of European law into our domestic regulations, we will ensure that workers rights are fully protected and maintained.

Indeed, under my leadership, not only will the Government protect the rights of workers’ set out in European legislation, we will build on them. Because under this Conservative Government, we will make sure legal protection for workers keeps pace with the changing labour market – and that the voices of workers are heard by the boards of publicly-listed companies for the first time.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

About time if it does!
  • Options

Matthew Goodwin: Some folks need reality check. If appeals to economic self-interest worked we would have voted to Remain. PM May will be v popular. Watch.

True, except her speech was all about appealing to the economic self interest of the rest of the EU

By his own logic she will be very unpopular with them
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    edited January 2017
    RobD said:

RobD said:

I think I prefer the one @Morris_Dancer found with her flanked by imperial guards from Star Wars :D
    "It is a period of civil war. LEAVE spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil EUROPEAN UNION.

During the battle, LEAVE spies managed to steal secret plans to the EU's ultimate weapon, the TECHNOCRAT, an armoured space station with enough power to destroy an entire member state's economy!

Pursued by the sinister pro-EU REMAINERs, Princess Theresa races home aboard her starship, custodian of the stolen plans that can save these islands and restore FREEDOM to the Continent...."

https://brorlandi.github.io/StarWarsIntroCreator/#!/AKahOlAk7L6C254apaII

NB. plays best in Chrome!
  • Options
    @IanDunt: Security cooperation is a core component of UK Brexit strategy, but think what that entails: Give us what we want or we stop helping.

@IanDunt: As in the EU citizens case, it's worth imagining what happens if they call our bluff. We get intelligence of an impending attack And what?

@IanDunt: We do nothing and tell no-one? Morally unthinkable. But then the government keeps asking us to consider the morally unthinkable.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

FPT:

Scott_P said:

I could be wrong, but I suspect there are shy Labour voters in Stoke, simply because Tristram was... errr... not a natural fit for the constituency.
    That's a possibility, as is the chance that a fair few Tories might have voted for Hunt. Still Labour's to lose though, assuming they don't parachute in Polly from Islington.

My uncle lives in Stoke, I'll try and tap him up for his view on the by-election.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

True, except her speech was all about appealing to the economic self interest of the rest of the EU

Of course. You're hardly going to be the most popular person in the room if you are negotiating to leave.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Of course. You're hardly going to be the most popular person in the room if you are negotiating to leave.

...and again following his logic they will tell us to fuck off, as we did to them.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

"It is a period of civil war. LEAVE spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil EUROPEAN UNION.

During the battle, LEAVE spies managed to steal secret plans to the EU's ultimate weapon, the TECHNOCRAT, an armoured space station with enough power to destroy an entire member state's economy!

Pursued by the sinister pro-EU REMAINERs, Princess Theresa races home aboard her starship, custodian of the stolen plans that can save these islands and restore FREEDOM to the Continent...."

https://brorlandi.github.io/StarWarsIntroCreator/#!/AKahOlAk7L6C254apaII

NB. plays best in Chrome!
    Episode A50... titters.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

One part of it was about the consequences of a 'Punishment Brexit' - the vast majority of her speech was what Britain would be doing.....
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Tim (F) has an enviable position compared with Nicola -

Her options are to call a referendum to leave a big single market to retain a small one whilst ditching the pound for the Euro or scuttle away to the shadows grumbling.

The written statement rather than the tour of the news studios suggests she's already picked the latter.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    What happened to Labour's reaction? Have they all become Trappists?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974

Pound on course for biggest rise in eight years after PM says she will seek to preserve some single market arrangements."
    Citywire Money

LOL, up 2% after dropping 20% , what turkeys.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@IanDunt: Security cooperation is a core component of UK Brexit strategy, but think what that entails: Give us what we want or we stop helping.

@IanDunt: As in the EU citizens case, it's worth imagining what happens if they call our bluff. We get intelligence of an impending attack And what?

@IanDunt: We do nothing and tell no-one? Morally unthinkable. But then the government keeps asking us to consider the morally unthinkable.

Probably more to intelligence sharing than warning of impending attacks. And on the EU citizens case, wasn't it May who was pushing for a quick deal but was rebuffed by the EU?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Citywire Money

Agreed. It was this bit that surprised me:
    "she will seek to preserve some single market arrangements."
  • Options

She is following the AA Gill playbook word for word...

That’s the plan? To swagger into Brussels with Union Jack pants on and say: “ ’Ello luv, you’re looking nice today. Would you like some?”

When the rest of us ask how that’s really going to work, leavers reply, with Terry-Thomas smirks, that “they’re going to still really fancy us, honest, they’re gagging for us. Possibly not Merkel, but the bosses of Mercedes and those French vintners and cheesemakers, they can’t get enough of old John Bull. Of course they’re going to want to go on making the free market with two backs after we’ve got the decree nisi. Makes sense, doesn’t it?”
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

The written statement rather than the tour of the news studios suggests she's already picked the latter.

Don't agree. Nicola needs to bide her time until the Supreme Court pronounces and the constitutional A50 process is under way.
  • Options
    @MichaelLCrick: Ukip spokesman says it's rubbish that Nuttall will be picked as candidate for Stoke Central by-election tonight. Nominations close tomorrow.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

I could never vote Lib Dem again with him in charge, he's a spanner.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    malcolmg said:

Citywire Money

Surely Nicola Sturgeon will now be preparing for Independence referendum ?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

That really is simplistic nonsense. There is every difference in the world between passing on hard information of an imminent attack (which we would of course do) and having detailed day to day co-operation which passes on a great deal of material not obviously of use on its own but which allows other countries to join the dots when added to what they already have. No one else in the EU has made anything like the investment we have in GCHQ and no one else has the US material that we have to add to it. If the EU thinks it can do without it or continues to angst about whether it is compatible with the ECHR as adopted into the EU treaties that is a matter for them but I suspect those who are at risk may have a view that differs from some of the legalists.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Perhaps Jezza will ask his good friend Paul to stand in Stoke, to show the voters the way.

https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/821405655080824832
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

tpfkar said:

Very likely. Will Corbyn even get a mention? Completely irrelevant. The chart that Mike showed of the proportion of remainers supporting the Lib Dems is only going to go in one direction, albeit I suspect the absolute number of die in the ditch remainers will fall over time.
    If all goes smoothly and nobody notices prices going up you could be right. Plenty more potential downside than upside for Theresa I suspect.
  • Options
    Can't image why Danny '5 million unemployed' Blanchflower wasn't included in the twitterfest:

https://order-order.com/2017/01/17/david-blanchflower-does-it-again/
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    How are the Remoaners today? Wanna be sedated? Or accusing the Leavers of a dancing a Blitzkrieg Bop?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

FPT:

Scott_P said:

I agree. That is why my money is on Labour winning Stoke.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    DavidL said:

There is every difference in the world between passing on hard information of an imminent attack (which we would of course do)

We've done that even with Russia.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Her options are to call a referendum to leave a big single market to retain a small one whilst ditching the pound for the Euro or scuttle away to the shadows grumbling.

His unenviable position is being an utter cock.
  • Options

How are the Remoaners today? Wanna be sedated? Or accusing the Leavers of a dancing a Blitzkrieg Bop?

This guy seems happy enough

https://twitter.com/edwardineurope/status/821128582504337408
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

She is following the AA Gill playbook word for word...

That’s the plan? To swagger into Brussels with Union Jack pants on and say: “ ’Ello luv, you’re looking nice today. Would you like some?”

When the rest of us ask how that’s really going to work, leavers reply, with Terry-Thomas smirks, that “they’re going to still really fancy us, honest, they’re gagging for us. Possibly not Merkel, but the bosses of Mercedes and those French vintners and cheesemakers, they can’t get enough of old John Bull. Of course they’re going to want to go on making the free market with two backs after we’ve got the decree nisi. Makes sense, doesn’t it?”
    Got a copy of his autobiography Pour me a Life recently. Really looking forward to it. His column was one of my favourite bits of the ST. Not because I would ever be going to any of the restaurants he reviewed but because of the vivid brilliance of his language. There was always at least a couple of sentences which just made you think, wow, to be able to write like that.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Scott_P said:

Can they vote for her? No.
  • Options
    Oh dear, I can see another protest march...

@holyroodmandy: Not sure @huwbbc should be passing comment that @NicolaSturgeon was being "less than constructive" re:@theresa_may Brexit speech
  • Options
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    Scott_P said:

@MichaelLCrick: Ukip spokesman says it's rubbish that Nuttall will be picked as candidate for Stoke Central by-election tonight. Nominations close tomorrow.

Fake news?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    dr_spyn said:

Problem for Corbyn he agrees with it all but his party don't.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Oh dear, I can see another protest march...

@holyroodmandy: Not sure @huwbbc should be passing comment that @NicolaSturgeon was being "less than constructive" re:@theresa_may Brexit speech

They'll rue the day....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I thought there was a whole montage of videos showing leave campaigners saying that it would mean leaving the single market.
  • Options
    Danny "5 million unemployed" has been at it again! :D
    https://twitter.com/D_Blanchflower/status/821137297420775433
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

tpfkar said:

If all goes smoothly and nobody notices prices going up you could be right. Plenty more potential downside than upside for Theresa I suspect.
    Oh this is not going to be easy. But don't underestimate the upside if she delivers a UK outside the EU that feels very, very like it felt inside the EU but with much more control of immigration.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Can't image why Danny '5 million unemployed' Blanchflower wasn't included in the twitterfest:

Danny Blanchflower must be up for the Lady Bracknell award for poor prediction, these outbursts by him are beginning to look like carelessness...
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,335
    Sandpit said:

FPT:

Scott_P said:

What possible reason is there to vote UKIP after today's speech?
  • Options
    Paul Mason ‏@paulmasonnews 2m2 minutes ago
    (10/10) Brits: get ready to Rise Like Lions - if May loses on the final Brexit terms in the Commons she must go. End of.

She will. Go to the country that is and win a 200 seat majority against a Labour party led by Corbyn, Abbott, Seamus and Mason.
  • Options
    Indyref2 "undoubtedly closer", as is the heat death of the Universe.

Which will happen first?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    RobD said:

I thought there was a whole montage of videos showing leave campaigners saying that it would mean leaving the single market.

They changed their tune as soon as the campaign started and they realised that the argument wouldn't stand up to the charge of being worse than membership because we would have no/little say. In the preceding period it was a very common refrain that being in the single market didn't require any of the political apparatus, just look at Norway, etc.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Scott_P said:

tps://twitter.com/edwardineurope/status/821128582504337408
    Mr Hannan is indeed a happy man this evening
    https://twitter.com/DanielJHannan/status/821399550900523008
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

One of the key tactical victories Craig Oliver claimed was to force Gove to admit that the UK would exit the SM. Osborne monstered him. This was on the 8th May.
  • Options
    @DPJHodges: BBC: "Nicola Sturgeon says an #indyref2 is "undoubtedly" closer". Sturgeon isn't fooling anyone. She's bottling it. May's called her bluff.
  • Options

RobD said:

They changed their tune as soon as the campaign started and they realised that the argument wouldn't stand up to the charge of being worse than membership because we would have no/little say. In the preceding period it was a very common refrain being in the single market didn't require any of the political apparatus, just look at Norway, etc.
    Ah, but during the campaign (when most were paying attention) it was quite clear that a vote to leave would mean leaving the single market?
  • Options

Danny Blanchflower must be up for the Lady Bracknell award for poor prediction, these outbursts by him are beginning to look like carelessness...
    Was that Blanchflower-v-Blanchflower case linked to a day or so again which said that the woman could not commit adultery in a gay relationship him? I thought with the reference to Dartmouth it must be.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges: BBC: "Nicola Sturgeon says an #indyref2 is "undoubtedly" closer". Sturgeon isn't fooling anyone. She's bottling it. May's called her bluff.

Doesn't it depend how the Scottish people react to Brexit over the next few months/years? If it becomes clear that the settled will has changed and there is a majority for Sindy, then there'll be another go.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Scott_P said:

I think we should give Scotland Indyref 2 AND have a GE in May.
  • Options
    @NicolaSturgeon: Scottish Parliament has just voted - by a clear majority - for Scotland's place in the single market to be protected.

Is that the 'single market' that accounts for 15% of Scotland's trade, or the one that accounts for 64%?

Just asking......
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

They changed their tune as soon as the campaign started and they realised that the argument wouldn't stand up to the charge of being worse than membership because we would have no/little say. In the preceding period it was a very common refrain being in the single market didn't require any of the political apparatus, just look at Norway, etc.
    Ah, but during the campaign (when most were paying attention) it was quite clear that a vote to leave would mean leaving the single market?
    I think Dominic Cummings is right to say that most people, whether listening or making the arguments, don't really understand what it means so it's probably academic, but I think it's fair to say that the message had seeped into the general consciousness that the 'good' bits of the EU were easily separable from the 'bad' bits.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

tpfkar said:

Oh this is not going to be easy. But don't underestimate the upside if she delivers a UK outside the EU that feels very, very like it felt inside the EU but with much more control of immigration.
    But it could equally end up with higher prices and immigration just coming from the rest of the world rather than Europe.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    glw said:

DavidL said:

There is every difference in the world between passing on hard information of an imminent attack (which we would of course do)

We've done that even with Russia.
    But Stalin refused to believe it - how many millions died because of his self-held opinion?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Was that Blanchflower-v-Blanchflower case linked to a day or so again which said that the woman could not commit adultery in a gay relationship him? I thought with the reference to Dartmouth it must be.
    Yep....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanchflower_v._Blanchflower
  • Options
    nunu said:

dr_spyn said:

Problem for Corbyn he agrees with it all but his party don't.
    No he doesn't. He doesn't agree with ending free movement. He wants it expanded to allow anyone from anywhere in the world to be able to move here.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

I think Dominic Cummings is right to say that most people, whether listening or making the arguments, don't really understand what it means so it's probably academic, but I think it's fair to say that the message had seeped into the general consciousness that the 'good' bits of the EU were easily separable from the 'bad' bits.
    I'll take that as a yes :D
  • Options

@NicolaSturgeon: Scottish Parliament has just voted - by a clear majority - for Scotland's place in the single market to be protected.

Is that the 'single market' that accounts for 15% of Scotland's trade, or the one that accounts for 64%?

Just asking......

Really, this argument makes the infamous and dishonest White Paper's views on oil revenues look really, really solid. It is nothing short of a joke.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    edited January 2017

Sandpit said:

FPT:

Scott_P said:

What possible reason is there to vote UKIP after today's speech?
    You can kill off the Labour Party
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

tpfkar said:

But it could equally end up with higher prices and immigration just coming from the rest of the world rather than Europe.
    Things could go wrong. Only an idiot would claim otherwise.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Doesn't it depend how the Scottish people react to Brexit over the next few months/years? If it becomes clear that the settled will has changed and there is a majority for Sindy, then there'll be another go.
    Exactly. Plus she can pretend that she is giving May a fair chance to protect Scottish interests in the negotiations. And if brexit turns out badly... It will be easy to blame it all in Westminster.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

tpfkar said:

You don't mean "darkies" will be picking fruit in Lincolnshire, surely ?
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:

Exactly. Plus she can pretend that she is giving May a fair chance to protect Scottish interests in the negotiations. And if brexit turns out badly... It will be easy to blame it all in Westminster.
    That's a much more likely line than getting her knickers in a twist about membership of the European Single Market. And Nicola is a smart political operator. It makes perfect sense for her to play the waiting game.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    surbiton said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

tpfkar said:

Under current arrangements, no, since such positions are filled by EU migrants. If there is a work permit scheme after Brexit with an agricultural component, then maybe.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

That really is simplistic nonsense. There is every difference in the world between passing on hard information of an imminent attack (which we would of course do) and having detailed day to day co-operation which passes on a great deal of material not obviously of use on its own but which allows other countries to join the dots when added to what they already have. No one else in the EU has made anything like the investment we have in GCHQ and no one else has the US material that we have to add to it. If the EU thinks it can do without it or continues to angst about whether it is compatible with the ECHR as adopted into the EU treaties that is a matter for them but I suspect those who are at risk may have a view that differs from some of the legalists.
    Presumably cooperation is a two way street and we benefit from their information also. Perhaps not as much.

But still-hunt if it's a question of anti-terrorism wouldn't public will be pretty unsympathetic to the idea that we have reduced cooperation as a bargaining tactic?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    surbiton said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

tpfkar said:

You seem to imply that no one with a brown face could possibly be European. Yet again.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    edited January 2017

TGOHF said:

Farron makes Ed Miliband look electable :lol:
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Presumably cooperation is a two way street and we benefit from their information also. Perhaps not as much.

But still-hunt if it's a question of anti-terrorism wouldn't public will be pretty unsympathetic to the idea that we have reduced cooperation as a bargaining tactic?
    There are undoubtedly mutual interests in this. And May will ostentatiously hold out the hand of friendship and co-operation in this field. I think the EU will take it. Eventually.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited January 2017

TGOHF said:

Farron makes Ed Miliband seem electable :lol:
    I think Norman Lamb is one of the best MPs in the business. I would've picked him over Farron. I think Farron is a good campaigner but not a leader. He looks like Owen Jones's older brother.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

tpfkar said:

RACIST REMAINER!!!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    surbiton said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

tpfkar said:

The current favoured Leave position, as far as I can ascertain that they have one, is that the fruit is going to pick itself.
This discussion has been closed.