Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So who won the week’s battles over LAB and the NHS, Lynton

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited July 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So who won the week’s battles over LAB and the NHS, Lynton Crosby and the Tories and plain cigarette packaging

Just 18% tell YouGov that it is acceptable for Crosby to be advising Tories while working for commercial clients
pic.twitter.com/SmOznwaHeP

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    @Tim
    What we won't know Tim is how much salience there is in these issues

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Time for a fag ....
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    Have any of these questions been asked before so we have something to compare with? Maybe the trusted on the NHS one?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    JackW said:

Time for a fag ....

Dreaming of your school days again Jack

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    tim said:

Among the key swing voters

11% of 2010 Lib Dems blame the last Labour govt for the Keogh findings not being discovered earlier

71% of 2010 Lib Dems believe the current govt caved in to the tobacco industry.

So that all worked well for the Tories then.

Nothing like jumping to early conclusions eh Tim?

Most people in the real world don't give a stuff about cigarette packets. I am a non smoker and if people want to smoke, I don't have a problem with it as long as they don't do it in my presence. Most non-smokers take the same view.

It's the economy stupid! Barring an international incident, it will be the economy which determines the next election and if the people still believe Gordon Brown was to blame for the mess, the recession and the cutbacks the government has had to enforce, people like you can whistle in the wind.

Rod Crosby is a far more neutral and respected observer and I noted with great interest his predictions yesterday. You of course never make specific predictions about election results, just make snide attacks on others who are brave enough to.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    JackW said:

Time for a fag ....

Don't say that in the US unless you want a surprise :-)
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    FPT

YouGov

Leaders:well/badly{
    DC: -18 (+6)
    EdM: -35(0)
    NC: -51(+2)
    Coalition:-33(+4)
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    tim said:

tim said:

Rod Crosby is a far more neutral and respected observer and I noted with great interest his predictions yesterday. You of course never make specific predictions about election results, just make snide attacks on others who are brave enough to.

Rod isn't even neutral regarding WW2 let alone anything else, you silly man.
    Don't call me a silly man. Rod was calling a hung parliament long before GE2010 when a Tory majority looked certain. You on the other hand just insulted people and made snide remarks about the personalities of fellow PBers, especially some of our female members who were deeply hurt by them.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,917
    The Tories seem to have convinced themselves that winning over 2010 LD and Labour voters is not necessary in order to win the next election. They are putting every single one of their eggs in the UKIP basket.

Labour has pretty much given up on UKIP and Tory voters, to focus instead on 2010 LDs.

My guess is that Labour is talking to a more receptive audience. But neither strategy is remotely healthy. They underline the dysfunctionality of FPTP.
  • Options

tim said:

tim said:

Rod isn't even neutral regarding WW2 let alone anything else, you silly man.
    Don't call me a silly man. Rod was calling a hung parliament long before GE2010 when a Tory majority looked certain. You on the other hand just insulted people and made snide remarks about the personalities of fellow PBers, especially some of our female members who were deeply hurt by them.

No, Tim was calling a hung Parliament before the last election.

• Options
    YouGov

Do you think standards in the NHS have got
    better or worse under the Conservative/Liberal
    Democrat coalition?

Better:12
    Same:33
    Worse:47

And do you think standards in the NHS got
    better or worse under the last Labour government

Better:22
    Same25
    Worse:43

This week the Keogh report into 14 NHS hospital
    trusts across the country with higher than
    normal death rates was published, following the
    emergence of the Stafford NHS scandal earlier
    this year. The report found some serious
    failings and eleven trusts were placed in special
    measures.
    From what you have seen or heard, do you think
    the last Labour government did or did not
    deliberately cover up failings at NHS hospitals?

Did cover them up - the last government knew
    about failing hospitals, but covered them up for
    political reasons: 41

Did not cover them up - when the last government
    encountered failings it did try to put things right, but
    generally failed to do so: 22

Did not cover them up – when the last government
    encountered failings it did try to put things right and
    generally succeeded: 9

DK: 28

Who do you think is most to blame for the
    failings in the NHS uncovered by the Keogh
    report not being found earlier?

Hospital management: 43
    Last Labour government: 19
    Civil servants at DoH:15
    Hospital doctors and healthcare staff: 4
    Someone else:1
    DK: 18

NB:Labour & LD VI blame hospital management most
  • Options

JackW said:

Time for a fag ....

Dreaming of your school days again Jack

Happy days .... roasting juniors before an open fire. There's a book in there somewhere Mike !?!

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,214
    So Labour lead Cons on NHS by 29-19 (hardly an endorsement of either) and 31-21 on improving standards but only 27-23 on sound finances/good value.

From the high number of plague-on-both houses, I would tentatively suggest that is a modest plus for the blues (depending on what previous polling has found).
  • Options
    JohnO said:

So Labour lead Cons on NHS by 29-19 (hardly an endorsement of either) and 31-21 on improving standards but only 27-23 on sound finances/good value.

From the high number of plague-on-both houses, I would tentatively suggest that is a modest plus for the blues (depending on what previous polling has found).

From memory the Tories led Labour on the NHS at the time of the last election; Labour then took a very big lead, which recent events seem to have cut. But I am not sure if the questions were the same, so it may not be possible to make direct comparisons.

• Options
    I think the detail of the poll does suggests some damage to Labour re the NHS but these type of questions, as with those on smoking, reveal more about the public's cynicism about the motives of politicians generally rather than anything else.

I believe that the economy is critical to the fortunes of all 3 parties in the coming election. The current poll leads for Labour remain soft, Miliband is clearly a liability but it could well be that ex-LDs propel him to the top job.
  • Options
    @SO - I haven't trawled back to previous polling - hence my caution - but I imagine any pre-election NHS Tory lead was both very narrow and very very temporary. The Health Service is regarded as a traditional Labour strength. If the Tories can dilute that advantage and hence lessen its overall polutical salience then they will have achieved their political goal.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    Really worrying how NHS managers, whether hospital or "outside" have been demonised. Why would any bright young person go into such an occupation when they are going to be routinely vilified?
  • Options
    scampi said:

I think the detail of the poll does suggests some damage to Labour re the NHS but these type of questions, as with those on smoking, reveal more about the public's cynicism about the motives of politicians generally rather than anything else.

I believe that the economy is critical to the fortunes of all 3 parties in the coming election. The current poll leads for Labour remain soft, Miliband is clearly a liability but it could well be that ex-LDs propel him to the top job.

Some of the Labour lead is probably soft. But in just about every single opinion poll conducted since the Coalition was formed Labour has been getting 35% plus - since about the summer of 2010. As far as we can tell, no party that has ever just lost power following a GE has ever enjoyed such an immediate and long-lasting bounce. That says to me that a pretty high proportion of the Labour vote is actually quite solid. Some may peel away at the periphery - most likely to LDs in places where the can beat Tories - but the Tories need to be a fair way ahead of Labour just to win most seats in 2015. I'd argue that a major potential downside of the Crosby UKIP strategy is that it strongly motivates anti-Tory voters.

• Options
    The economy is expected to have grown 0.6pc in the three months to June, double the level of the first quarter as Britain starts to fire on “all cylinders”.

Some economists believe GDP may have expanded by 0.7pc or 0.8pc – which would be the fastest pace since the third quarter of 2007, before the recession struck.

Evidence that the recovery is gathering momentum prompted Sir Mike Rake, president of the CBI, to say in an interview with The Sunday Telegraph that “we are beginning to see the green shoots of recovery generally”. The Chancellor has been careful to avoid the phrase, though he said last week that the UK was moving “from rescue to recovery”.

Sir Mike warned, however, of a tough road ahead. “I think it’s absolutely clear that we’ve been bouncing along the bottom,” he said. “I think we’re gently beginning to recover, in some parts of the country more than others.”

Goldman Sachs, which compiles a “tracking estimate” of Office for National Statistics (ONS) data, has calculated that the economy grew 0.64pc in the three months to June – in line with the consensus of 0.6pc.

Investec is forecasting a 0.7pc rise, and Fathom Consulting a 0.8pc growth. The Bank of England pencilled in 0.6pc in May.

All four sectors of the economy are forecast to be growing – services, industrial production, construction and agriculture – for the first time since the third quarter of 2010.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10192732/Lift-for-Osborne-as-economic-growth-accelerates.html
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    So ideally for them the Tories need to associate hospital management with Labour. I wonder how they could do that.
  • Options
    tim said:

JohnO said:

From memory the Tories led Labour on the NHS at the time of the last election; Labour then took a very big lead, which recent events seem to have cut. But I am not sure if the questions were the same, so it may not be possible to make direct comparisons.

Labour had a 10 point lead three weeks ago on the question

"Here is a list of problems facing the country.
    Could you say for each of them which political
    party you think would handle the problem best?

NHS.

Among 2010 Lib Dems the lead was 25, today it's 23 on the slightly different question.

The Tory strategy doesn't seem to have had much impact, certainly not enough to counter the damaged Cameron did when he broke his promise on the NHS reorganisation.

As I say, I think one of the dangers in the Crosby UKIP strategy is that it galvanises anti-Tory voters. The Tories are clearly more comfortable dressing to the right and that will create a degree of unity inside the party that will help them; but in chasing potential UKIP voters they are also reminding a lot of other people why they don't vote Tory and do not wantt he Tories to form a government. In other words, Crosby is motivating non-Tories as well as the party's supporters.
  • Options

scampi said:

Some of the Labour lead is probably soft. But in just about every single opinion poll conducted since the Coalition was formed Labour has been getting 35% plus - since about the summer of 2010. As far as we can tell, no party that has ever just lost power following a GE has ever enjoyed such an immediate and long-lasting bounce. That says to me that a pretty high proportion of the Labour vote is actually quite solid. Some may peel away at the periphery - most likely to LDs in places where the can beat Tories - but the Tories need to be a fair way ahead of Labour just to win most seats in 2015. I'd argue that a major potential downside of the Crosby UKIP strategy is that it strongly motivates anti-Tory voters.

I suspect that that VI polling is pretty meaningless until nearer the election. Remember, until the UKIP surge, Labour has benefited as the sole repository of the anti-government vote as a result of the fact we have a coalition.
  • Options

scampi said:

The big difference is that with the coalition in place the only real protest vote is for labour. The rise of the previously unheard of parties is also a symptom. I feel that a lot of the poll 'leads' are froth and it's only towards the end of the parliament that the polls have any hope of reflecting actual voting intention. I'd ignore them until Xmas 2014. By then of course it will be too late to materially affect voting intention so the policy wonks and GE strategists have to try and unpick a muddied situation (lovely mixed metaphor) and see the true feelings of the country.

I think Mike's highlight of leaders approval rating is a good clue to underlying sentiment.
  • Options
    The Mayor’s office will this week put in a bid to the London Enterprise Partnership for £1m seed funding to create a “golden triangle” in medical and life sciences research, linking the capital with Oxford and Cambridge.

Kit Malthouse, the deputy Mayor of London, said the intention was to create a “global brand” to draw investment into science and to ensure that advances are better exploited to boost the economy.

He said too often other countries reaped the benefits of British discoveries because we lack the infrastructure and commercial investment for ideas to succeed.

The funding bid – due on Thursday – will propose a new district, based around Euston Road near world-leading centres such as University College Hospital and the Wellcome Trust, and the Francis Crick Institute, a medical research centre under construction.

The idea is similar to that of “Tech City” in east London, where more than 15,000 new companies registered last year.Mr Malthouse told The Sunday Telegraph: “Britain suffers a drain when it comes to science. We make discoveries but often scientists need to go abroad to expand or get the capital to exploit the potential.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/10192700/Londons-Medical-City-to-seal-golden-triangle-of-UK-research-centres.html
  • Options
    The big problem for Labour is the fact that they have zero credibility on the economy and welfare with nothing to say on the former while suggesting the latter should become a "human right"!
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited July 2013
    So Labour have rocketed to a massive 7 point lead, cutting through all the chaff and blather on here, it is all going wonderfully well for Ed's team ..heheh
  • Options
    @Blue_rog

I struggle to see how a government can attract a protest vote two months after it is formed and before it has made any decisions - it never seems to have happened before. This is the really salient point about Labour's opinion poll jump in the summer of 2010. Remember, too, that this was at a time when the Coalition itself was enjoying pretty high approval ratings and the Tories were frequently ahead of Labour. Because of FPTP Labour only needs 35% or so to be the largest party after the next GE.

I do agree that colaitions are different, though, and that as a result it is hard to jump to conclusions. So my comments obviously come with that caveat; as should those which state Labour should be miles ahead.
  • Options
    scampi said:

scampi said:

I suspect that that VI polling is pretty meaningless until nearer the election. Remember, until the UKIP surge, Labour has benefited as the sole repository of the anti-government vote as a result of the fact we have a coalition.

Labour's opinion poll numbers have been in a relatively flat band of (I think) 35-43 for the last three years. Very few polls published since May 2010 have shown them exceeding or going below those figures.

All opinion polls are pretty meaningless at any stage, but they are just about all we have to go on.

• Options

@Blue_rog

I struggle to see how a government can attract a protest vote two months after it is formed and before it has made any decisions - it never seems to have happened before.

I do agree that colaitions are different, though, and that as a result it is hard to jump to conclusions. So my comments obviously come with that caveat; as should those which state Labour should be miles ahead.

My point is that the anti-tories and disillusioned LD's could only go to Labour as a protest. The rise of UKIP etc came after as some protest voters registered dislike of Labour as well.

It will be fascinating to see the depth of dislike of all the three parties and if these voters actually come out to vote. I'd hate any party to get into power with a ludicrously small proportion of the electorate.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/jul/20/keogh-apology-burnham-tory-smear-hospital-deaths

Reporters overheard Keogh apologising to Andy Burnham about the way Keogh’s report had been used as an excuse to attack AB & Labour’s record on the NHS.
  • Options

@Blue_rog

I struggle to see how a government can attract a protest vote two months after it is formed and before it has made any decisions - it never seems to have happened before. This is the really salient point about Labour's opinion poll jump in the summer of 2010. Remember, too, that this was at a time when the Coalition itself was enjoying pretty high approval ratings and the Tories were frequently ahead of Labour. Because of FPTP Labour only needs 35% or so to be the largest party after the next GE.

I think you're forgetting the impact of the recession and the need to front load unpopular measures. The scale of the mess was bound to impact badly - all parties in government will continue to suffer probably for decades. It's ironic but Liam Byrne was right about the coffers being empty and they will not be refilled for many years.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

@Blue_rog

I struggle to see how a government can attract a protest vote two months after it is formed and before it has made any decisions - it never seems to have happened before.

My point is that the anti-tories and disillusioned LD's could only go to Labour as a protest. The rise of UKIP etc came after as some protest voters registered dislike of Labour as well.

It will be fascinating to see the depth of dislike of all the three parties and if these voters actually come out to vote. I'd hate any party to get into power with a ludicrously small proportion of the electorate.

Both big parties are now only talking to a proportion of the electorate. I agree that disillusioned LDs and anti-Tories (in England at least) only have Labour as an option. My argument is that Crosby's strategy of tacking right to attract potential UKIP voters is likely to cement that fact - except, perhaps, in places where the LDs have the best chance of beating the Tories. I suppose Crosby's theory has to be that there are more UKIP Tory voters than there are LD Labour voters, and that they will be more motivated to lend the Tories their votes than 2010 LDs are to support Labour.
  • Options
    scampi said:

@Blue_rog

I think you're forgetting the impact of the recession and the need to front load unpopular measures. The scale of the mess was bound to impact badly - all parties in government will continue to suffer probably for decades. It's ironic but Liam Byrne was right about the coffers being empty and they will not be refilled for many years.

Labour began to get mid-30s opinion poll scores in June 2010. The Tories had a healthy lead in the polls at that stage. And the coalition was broadly popular too.

• Options
    7..Yes, Seven full points ahead..Panic in the ranks and Cheshire
  • Options
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jul/21/british-economy-still-in-bad-position

I do not think Huttons advice "Ignore the hype: Will be taken on here.

However on Money Week you can read about the The End of Britain.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Burnham should resign - and the Guardian story about reporters heard an apology - how convenient that reporters overheard it was it via electronic means or a just a stage managed discussion.

Labour working with MRSA to reduce waiting lists..

The tobacco stuff -latest wizz bang scheme to halt sales of the demon weed is put on the back burner and its all Hunt's fault bullshit for caving in - don't advertising and sponsorship bans, high duties, health warnings on packets, school PSHE discussions, and fines for lighting up work?
  • Options
    Scampi

Liam Byrne was not right as all parties support HS2 spending billions.

They all must be mad, that money should be directed to house construction, and a 3rd runway at Heathrow.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Cynical but quite correct!

Do you still have the links to the NHS polling that showed the Tories rating on the NHS that was neck and neck with Labour? I thought that was very surprising but can't find the links again.
    MrJones said:

So ideally for them the Tories need to associate hospital management with Labour. I wonder how they could do that.

• Options
    If ,as sugested on here and elsewhere, Crosby's strategy is damaging the Conservatives, one does have to wonder why Labour are in panic mode to get rid of him.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    @York

"Reporters overheard Keogh apologising to Andy Burnham about the way Keogh’s report had been used as an excuse to attack AB & Labour’s record on the NHS."

Labour's attacks on Crosby and the Tory dirty tricks department seem to be starting to bear fruit. The Tories with their history have to be ultra careful about not being the 'nasty party' again.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Roger, There is no need to find an excuse to attack Burnhams record , how many requests for an enquiry did he turn down, 81 I believe..Stupendous leadership, and how manty deaths in the Staffs hospital ..says it all really
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,578
    Leader satisfaction ratings among VI (net "well")

Cameron: +80
    Miliband: +25
    Clegg: +32

Ah! But, but, but, it's 2010 Lib Dems that will decide it:

Cameron: -30
    Miliband: -32
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,818
    because t

Really worrying how NHS managers, whether hospital or "outside" have been demonised. Why would any bright young person go into such an occupation when they are going to be routinely vilified?

hey get paid shedloads of money perhaps
  • Options
    edited July 2013

If ,as sugested on here and elsewhere, Crosby's strategy is damaging the Conservatives, one does have to wonder why Labour are in panic mode to get rid of him.

Crosby is not actively damaging the Tories. The question is whether by tacking them to the right to court UKIP voters he can get them enough votes to be the biggest party after the next GE, let alone to win it. The danger is that the more right-wing the Tories appear, the more they alienate 2010 LD and Labour voters: over 50% of that year's electorate. My guess is that Labour will talk as much as possible about Crosby and the Tory rightward lurch because it will play well with their potential voter base.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    @Doddy

"If ,as sugested on here and elsewhere, Crosby's strategy is damaging the Conservatives, one does have to wonder why Labour are in panic mode to get rid of him."

Rather an odd reading of things. Attacking him and drawing attention to him is a completely different thing from trying to get rid of him. He's clearly very good at honing the Tory message but rather like Campbell (but much more so) he has the possibility to be turned into a very ugly Svengali which is sure to rub off on Cameron who at present is reasonably whiter than white
  • Options
    Roger said:

The Tories with their history have to be ultra careful about not being the 'nasty party' again.

Two words. Damian McBride......
  • Options
    The reason for the anti-Crosby strategy is simple - to divert attention from the fact Labour have nothing to say on the economy or welfare and the fact they are in hock to TUs. I'm not sure the polling evidence thus far suggests they are winning.

@Tim "Unpopular measures weren't front loaded, Osborne screeched a lot but deficit reduction has been kicked beyond the next election.
    And the policy is now no longer rebalancing the economy it's devaluation, inflation and a housing bubble."

Incorrect - the perception fuelled by the Labour and the media is of cuts, cuts and more cuts - where they get it wrong is to assume the public are horrified by the notion that welfare cuts are always inevitably unpopular. It has helped Labour garner the protest vote common against the governing party but it by no means guarantees they will keep it in the absence of any alternative strategy beyond smear.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141

Roger, There is no need to find an excuse to attack Burnhams record , how many requests for an enquiry did he turn down, 81 I believe..Stupendous leadership, and how manty deaths in the Staffs hospital ..says it all really

I never got this "how many requests for an inquiry" thing. If he should have done it he should have done it without being asked, or after being asked the first time. If he was right to decline he was right to decline no matter how many times he was asked. He shouldn't decide on the basis of, "Now you've asked me 14 times I'd better do it".
  • Options
    @Carlotta

" Two words. Damian McBride......"

Do you think Labour were ever regarded as the 'Nasty Party' in the way the Tories were in '97?

I don't. Nothing like.

It took 18 years for the Tories to build up that reputation and it's still there (though nothing like it was). Labour teetered on the brink of being thought incompetent but never nasty.

• Options
    Japanese government on UK's EU membership:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23393856

I wonder who gave the ST the memo.
  • Options
    As I've said before - if Labour and the LDs want to talk about Mr Crosby, let them - the more they do that, the less they talk about education, health, jobs and the economy which is what everyone bar a handful of activists and Guardian readers who'd never vote Tory in a million years care about.

If anyone can show that a Get Lynton strategy will shift a single vote - I'll be astonished. And similarly, the Tories aren't going to sack him as he's clearly scaring the crap out of Labour right now :^ )

So all in all, its a bit of a win-win for the Tories.
  • Options
    Wodger and SO, You both make my point, Panic in the ranks.The entire manouvre is totally diversionary ,to take away close examination of Labours lack of any discernible policies and to off -load some of the most appalling incidences on its watch..It is a gamble that Labour are taking. aided and abetted by the gullible, such as yourselves.
    Let us have some policies please, not lame attacks on someone most of the population have never heard of or even want to..bet Crosby is a hot topic down at the local this lunchtime. Test match, golf, Wayne Rooney, the weather..see what I mean lads.
  • Options
    Plato said:

As I've said before - if Labour and the LDs want to talk about Mr Crosby, let them - the more they do that, the less they talk about education, health, jobs and the economy which is what everyone bar a handful of activists and Guardian readers who'd never vote Tory in a million years care about.

If anyone can show that a Get Lynton strategy will shift a single vote - I'll be astonished. And similarly, the Tories aren't going to sack him as he's clearly scaring the crap out of Labour right now :^ )

As things stand, Labour does not need to shift a single vote. If things stay as they are they will be back in power in 2015.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Since we haven't seen the Conservatives 2015 Manifesto yet, there may be some wishful thinking in this "Crosby is tacking the Tories to the right" meme - so far, what is documented is he's told them to focus on the Economy, Immigration and Welfare. I wonder where he got the idea that these were important?

http://tinyurl.com/m54omx3
  • Options
    Just seen the splash on the Mail - apart from it being a pretty ancient story - its quite a brilliant headline to crowbar in *lovechild* *mistress* and *union boss* into one about political fixes!
  • Options

Wodger and SO, You both make my point, Panic in the ranks.The entire manouvre is totally diversionary ,to take away close examination of Labours lack of any discernible policies and to off -load some of the most appalling incidences on its watch..It is a gamble that Labour are taking. aided and abetted by the gullible, such as yourselves.
    Let us have some policies please, not lame attacks on someone most of the population have never heard of or even want to..bet Crosby is a hot topic down at the local this lunchtime. Test match, golf, Wayne Rooney, the weather..see what I mean lads.

If only we could all be as disinterested and non-partisan as you Richard!

• Options
    @Roger - we are seeing this evolve into "tough but competent" vs "nice but weak".. ...which side do you think will do better in 2015?
  • Options
    @OldKingCole

"Really worrying how NHS managers, whether hospital or "outside" have been demonised. Why would any bright young person go into such an occupation when they are going to be routinely vilified?"

I just think they were the only people left.

Everyone except some Tories with an agenda remembered that Labour (and Brown in particular) moved heaven and earth to make the NHS better and to throw money at it. To expect people now to blame them for failings in a limited number of hospitals would be ridiculous.

As it had to be somebodies fault and no one knows what these suits do......best to blame them.
  • Options
    "Super Sunday Today" ??

Lee wins The Open
    Chris triumphs in Le Tour
    Joe knocks a Lords double ton
    Mike says a kind word of the Coalition
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Plato said:

As things stand, Labour does not need to shift a single vote. If things stay as they are they will be back in power in 2015.

but things won't stay as they are, they never do.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Since we haven't seen the Conservatives 2015 Manifesto yet, there may be some wishful thinking in this "Crosby is tacking the Tories to the right" meme - so far, what is documented is he's told them to focus on the Economy, Immigration and Welfare. I wonder where he got the idea that these were important?

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/3bdcb85nyw/YG-Archives-Pol-Trackers-Issues(2)-170713.pdf

I think wishful and complacent thinking abounds amongst some in the Labour ranks if PB is anything to go by. This is I suspect actually whistling in the dark that they dont' really believe - otherwise they not be so pointedly blase/then mentioning him so much.

Why would the Tories lurch to the right? If they want to win votes - they'll focus on the issues that most of the population are most concerned about/Tories can shift votes in their favour. Mr Crosby seems to have a good idea of what these are.

I'm just waiting for someone to mention GE2005 again as evidence that Crosby is Crap whilst forgetting that Back Boris was a winner.
  • Options
    tim estimates Labour's lead is currently 6/7%. I agree with him.

When all is said and done, he, Southam Observer, Mike Smithson, Nick Palmer and others believe there will be no substantial swing-back to the Tories in May 2015. Yesterday Mike quoted 2003 to 2005 as a case in point.

I strongly demur. Asssuming the economic recovery gathers pace, there is every prospect of such a swing taking place.

Srutinising the psephological entrails of 2010 LibDem subsamples is a joyous pursuit, but I'll settle for the overall headline VI. By the way, don't the polls adjust for the sizeable number of respondents who misremember how they voted at the last election! Even allowing for that, in today's partisan de-aligned electorate, a Lab-Con swing is perfectly possible.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    Scampi is right that the general undertone of the answers reflects general mistrust of politicians. Asked if a policy reflected good or bad motives, most people always say "bad".

That said, we can note a few consistent trends.

1. Cameron's rating is better than it was. Miliband's isn't.
    2. People are cautiously tending to cheer up about the economy.
    3. Despite 1 and 2, Labour's poll rating remains where it's been for a long time, the high 30s - in fact slightly higher than when UKIP was surging. The Tories have slightly recovered.
    4. The attack on Labour over the NHS had no significant impact on party preference over the issue.

The Labour rating isn't fragile or frothy or swinging noticeably or typical of mid-term protest voters - it is, principally, people who liked the last government plus 2010 left-wing LibDems. These groups are not greatly swayed by anything - PM rating, the economy, whatever. They just don't like a right-wing government and they plan to vote it out.

What can the Conservatives do about it? The realistic choices are "mobilise the vote and push UKLIP way down" or "tack sharply to the middle so 2010 LibDems think it's not such a bad government". They're clearly going for the first. But it's hard to see them getting most votes that way, and if they don't there will be a Labour majority.
  • Options

Plato said:

They never have in the past, but we have never had a coalition before. Labour regularly began to hit 35% in the polls in July 2010, two months after the GE and at a time when the Tories had a poll lead, the coalition had a plus approval rating, no cuts had been made and no legislaiton had been introduced. Its polling range has been the most consistent of all the parties. That has never happened before either.
  • Options
    @Roger

"Labour (and Brown in particular) moved heaven and earth to make the NHS better and to throw money at it"

Even you in the advertising industry must know that "throwing money" at something is no guarantee of quality improvement. Just see what has happened to our education standards when the same policy was enacted.

In fact lean projects often have better outcomes as more direct thought is put into the project initially and the cost/benefit analysis is more realistic.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

When all is said and done, he, Southam Observer, Mike Smithson, Nick Palmer and others believe there will be no substantial swing-back to the Tories in May 2015. Yesterday Mike quoted 2003 to 2005 as a case in point.

I strongly demur. Asssuming the economic recovery gathers pace, there is every prospect of such a swing taking place.

Srutinising the psephological entrails of 2010 LibDem subsamples is a joyous pursuit, but I'll settle for the overall headline VI. By the way, don't the polls adjust for the sizeable number of respondents who misremember how they voted at the last election! Even allowing for that, in today's partisan de-aligned electorate, a Lab-Con swing is perfectly possible.

I would agree with that Mr O, the question is what size of swingback ? The economy will begin performing, there will be more money about and the aim for the coalition will be to get more cash in people's pockets.

However even to get back to the 2010 result, the blues need to put on 7 or 8 points and to see the commies drop by a similar amount. That's a big ask.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

I think there'll be a hung Parliament in 2015 and that it is likely that Labour will get most seats. That does imply a swing-back to the Tories from where things stand now.

• Options
    JackW said:

"Super Sunday Today" ??

Mike says a kind word of the Coalition

Hell freezes over.....

• Options
    Little snippet. Wonder what EdM's are saying?

“The deficit is down, unemployment is falling, crime is down, welfare is capped and Abu Qatada is back in Jordan.”, [said one Tory MP.]

The renewed optimism among his hitherto surly backbenchers allowed the prime minister to postpone the slaps and prizes of a parliamentary reshuffle. Those Tories not tied up in annoying Labour at the committee stage of the EU Referendum Bill strolled into the evening sunshine after a rousing end-of-term report from the boss to the 1922 committee and declared themselves well satisfied with his leadership.

“A spring in our step”; “We are in a good place”; “Of course it won’t last but I can’t recall a July when we left Westminster in such good spirits,” they said." http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/comment/columns/adamboulton/article1290044.ece
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    @NickPalmer

You may have missed the news from yesterday Nick that I've placed Broxtowe in the "JackW Dozen" for the 2015 GE - 12 seats to watch for the election.

Smiles innocently ....
  • Options

http://tinyurl.com/m54omx3

Fascinating to see the disconnect in the responses about immigration.

• Options
    And another bit http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/comment/columns/adamboulton/article1290044.ece

" Crosby’s main aim in the run-up to 2015 is to keep the focus on Labour. While the coalition took difficult decisions that were bound to be unpopular, the argument goes, Labour curled up into a ball to be as small a target as possible. Now that Cameron has had some successes, the Tories are being tasked with uncurling their opponents, preferably attaching a “Kick me” sign to the prickles of the spatchcocked hedgehog.

This is why last week Jeremy Hunt talked of Labour’s shame and disgrace when the Keogh report on the NHS came out, whereas weeks earlier Cameron took a statesmanlike view that all should learn lessons from the Mid Staffordshire report.

The prime minister seems happy in either mode, and enjoyed telling Miliband he would be a write-off until he sacked the men next to him — Andy Burnham, the shadow health secretary, and Ed Balls, the shadow chancellor, both of whose form stretches back to the last Labour government..."
  • Options

Plato said:

They never have in the past, but we have never had a coalition before. Labour regularly began to hit 35% in the polls in July 2010, two months after the GE and at a time when the Tories had a poll lead, the coalition had a plus approval rating, no cuts had been made and no legislaiton had been introduced. Its polling range has been the most consistent of all the parties. That has never happened before either.
    well things never stay the same, the Labour lead could increase, however its more likely it will drop back and the blues will recover with the economy, it still says a HP atm and suddenly everyone will be agreeing with Nick again ...though Ed may have to eat a few crows first.
  • Options
    @Alanbrooke, Indubitably. From hereon in, I think the key barometer to watch is the economic optimism/pessimism index in the polls plus the get better/worse for you and your family. The extent of the improvement of both in the months ahead will be the single most reliable indicator of ultimate electoral support.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    SO..not disinterested, but I am fortunate to see the battle lines, squabbles,tactics etc , from a distance, whilst also being able, occasionally, to visit the Battlefield to observe how the front line is shifting..Right now, if I were a tory, which I am not, I would be bringing up the artillery and preparing to move rapidly ahead, the opposition is preparing to do a bunk, the whiff of panic is in the air.
    A few Labour Policies might stop the rout tho.
  • Options
    @tim - don't be so petulant so early on a Sunday morning. Are you hungover?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

@Alanbrooke, Indubitably. From hereon in, I think the key barometer to watch is the economic optimism/pessimism index in the polls plus the get better/worse for you and your family. The extent of the improvement of both in the months ahead will be the single most reliable indicator of ultimate electoral support.

I think will also depend on the size of 2014 election bribes as to whether people begin to feel better off. With both the blues and yellows wanting to have a positive message to campaign on in 2015, this will be a hard area for the reds to win on, they're sort of depending on bad news coming from somewhere eg Europe to help them out.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Good for Scotland!

Scotland also led (along with Wales and the Channel Islands) on implementing the smoking ban New Labour later brought to England. Looks like it will be the same again.....

• Options

JohnO said:

I think will also depend on the size of 2014 election bribes as to whether people begin to feel better off. With both the blues and yellows wanting to have a positive message to campaign on in 2015, this will be a hard area for the reds to win on, they're sort of depending on bad news coming from somewhere eg Europe to help them out.
    Absolutely. Budget 2014 is critical: George can't get that one wrong!
  • Options
    Is it just me or does anyone else dislike the same colour suit and tie look? Cameron is wearing midnight blue - again.

AFAIC, the only time they should be the same colour is at a funeral or if you're in waiting.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Absolutely. Budget 2014 is critical: George can't get that one wrong!
    you've spotted the weakness in the plan :-)
  • Options
    @JohnO

How goes Thursdays battle for the soul of Hersham. Is the Jacobite/Andrea axis working its magic ??
  • Options
    @AB- You weren't terribly well-disposed to Mr. Chuchill either. But I greatly enjoyed you diaries.
  • Options
    JackW said:

@JohnO

How goes Thursdays battle for the soul of Hersham. Is the Jacobite/Andrea axis working its magic ??

Hersham is the epitome of fealty and devotion. But will Weybridge be webellious next Thursday? With you both on-side and on-message it's looking good, we've just got to get Neil out to convert the kippers.
  • Options
    The Keogh responses do not make happy reading for Labour - even among Labour voters:

OA (Labour VI)

Did cover it up: 41 (13)
    Did not cover it up - tried to fix & failed: 22 (36)
    Did not cover it up - tried to fix & succeeded: 9 (24)

So the most widely held view among Labour supporters is that while the last Labour government did not set out to conceal NHS failings, their attempts at fixing them were unsuccessful.....just under a quarter of Labour supporters (and under a tenth of total) think Labour succeeded in fixing the NHS failings Keogh exposed.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    JohnO disagrees about the economy - he reckons that if it gradually recovers then there will be a substantial swing. Perhaps. The thing is that people don't feel that any of the parties have a brilliant plan on the economy, and they tend to ascribe both the downturn and any upturn alike to global conditions (they're probably about 75% right, too). If you quiz them they'll give a variety of answers - it was Gordon, it's Osborne, it's both, dunno - but it's not uppermost in their minds. (Equally, Labour isn't really succeeding in making people feel that everything is crap because of Osborne.)

If voters were personally doing really well it might help, but they're not - they've been taking real wage cuts for years and are just hanging on to jobs. News that GDP is up 2.1% or whatever by 2015 will leave the swing voters (yes, largely those left-wing LibDems) pretty cold.
  • Options
    Perfect

Michael Deacon @MichaelPDeacon
    "If you would just answer the question, Mr Cameron - have you ever had a conversation with your wife?"
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,818
    Will not be long till Cameron does a U turn then , he always follows Alex's lead
  • Options
    JohnO said:

@AB- You weren't terribly well-disposed to Mr. Chuchill either. But I greatly enjoyed you diaries.

it's been a tough morning for tim, I was trying to offer him one of his favourite subjects to brighten his day ;-)
  • Options

Plato said:

well things never stay the same, the Labour lead could increase, however its more likely it will drop back and the blues will recover with the economy, it still says a HP atm and suddenly everyone will be agreeing with Nick again ...though Ed may have to eat a few crows first.

Yup, the hung parliament scenario looks the most likely. Dave, of course, has promised that there will be an EU referendum in 2017 if he is the PM. I wonder what Nick will think of that.

• Options
    Blofelds_CatBlofelds_Cat Posts: 154
    tim said:

Dave relaxes in Dowler Street with a Kinsella moment

@David_Cameron: Meeting with the Jones and Sharp families + hearing their fears about online child abuse images. A major speech tmw http://t.co/CZe0D3YZKB

The empty posturing we've seen so often before with bereaved relatives

Ah, but DC does his empty posturing as a PM. Your leader does his vacuous thing as a less than popular LOTO.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Jonathon Freedland's 2p

This summer Labour cannot rest – or it may lose the battle. As the Tories break up on a hog-fuelled high, Labour is full of woe. Three years on, why is it still on the defensive?

...Of course, the flipside of this Tory cheer is Labour woe. They end the parliamentary season in a state of humid angst. Even those who dismiss the ICM poll as rogue know their lead is anaemic. With less than two years to go, Labour finds itself perennially on the defensive. This week it was Andy Burnham, called to account for his record as health secretary after the Tories wilfully distorted the Keogh report into those hospitals that had failed or worse. Last week it was Ed Miliband, browbeaten into proposing a change to Labour's union funding arrangements. In recent months, the leader has been pushed into making speeches on both immigration and welfare in order to head off attacks that, Labour feared, were beginning to bite.

...Part of this comes with the territory of opposition, a reactive business by definition. But part of it is blamed on Miliband himself. One figure close to the top reports that the leader "consults everyone but listens to no one", complaining of a strategic indecisiveness reminiscent of Gordon Brown: "It's just a state of constant frustration: no one knows how to get a decision made."

But the problem surely goes deeper than mere leadership style. It's that Labour still spends too much of its time dealing with aspects of its past – attempting to shake off a reputation as wasteful of the nation's money or a soft touch to newcomers and benefit recipients – that it should have dealt with long ago. Three years on, Miliband is still either defending or repudiating aspects of Labour's record in government. It's the price he pays for not having had a reckoning with the Labour legacy much earlier, publicly spelling out what aspects of the Blair-Brown inheritance he aimed to jettison and what he wanted to keep, honour and extend. Instead, each shift has come gradually, sometimes – as on welfare or immigration – as if dragged out of him under duress... http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jul/19/summer-labour-tories-hog-fuelled?CMP=twt_gu
  • Options

JohnO disagrees about the economy - he reckons that if it gradually recovers then there will be a substantial swing. Perhaps. The thing is that people don't feel that any of the parties have a brilliant plan on the economy, and they tend to ascribe both the downturn and any upturn alike to global conditions (they're probably about 75% right, too). If you quiz them they'll give a variety of answers - it was Gordon, it's Osborne, it's both, dunno - but it's not uppermost in their minds. (Equally, Labour isn't really succeeding in making people feel that everything is crap because of Osborne.)

If voters were personally doing really well it might help, but they're not - they've been taking real wage cuts for years and are just hanging on to jobs. News that GDP is up 2.1% or whatever by 2015 will leave the swing voters (yes, largely those left-wing LibDems) pretty cold.

GDP numbers alone won't swing many votes, that's why I would expect there to be some pre-election goodies to lighten the mood.
  • Options
    @NickP - You have a Labour selection to win in a few weeks' time (for which good luck, er Hersham Tories for Palmer if that helps!), but I truly doubt that the circumstances prevailing in July 2013 will be those in May 2015. We both know that.
  • Options

Plato said:

Yup, the hung parliament scenario looks the most likely. Dave, of course, has promised that there will be an EU referendum in 2017 if he is the PM. I wonder what Nick will think of that.

he won't like it and will demand a quid pro quo, probably something equally as fun to the blues.
  • Options

Absolutely wrong.

Most voters still blame Labour for the mess. Most voters don't like the medicine but prefer Dr Cameron to Dr Miliband to administer it.

Will swing and differential voters opt for Dr Miliband ? .... No they don't want the economic sh*ts again.

• Options

GDP numbers alone won't swing many votes, that's why I would expect there to be some pre-election goodies to lighten the mood.

More likely to be Tory promises to make tax cuts should they win in 2015. For there to actually be cuts before an election the Tories and LDs will have to agree how they are going to be paid for. Given what the LDs have said about welfare spending and the promsises the Tories have made on the NHS, aid and pensioner benefits in this parliament there does not look to be much wriggle room.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Cut from "wide-ranging" interview with Cameron and the first thing Sophie Raworth wants to talk about is Lynton ruddy Crosby. And people wonder why most of us are turned off politics.
  • Options

Plato said:

he won't like it and will demand a quid pro quo, probably something equally as fun to the blues.

Indeed. That plus Dave having failed again to get a majority and campaigning to stay in the EU should there be a vote will surely cheer up the Tory right.

This discussion has been closed.