Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And now the fourth Presidential Inauguration since PB was foun

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited January 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And now the fourth Presidential Inauguration since PB was founded in 2004

A sneak preview of Donald Trump's #inauguration address. pic.twitter.com/achgl0nOt5

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    First!
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    second?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Second like Farron
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    FPT: If Osborne isn't retiring, does taking the job nevertheless indicate he thinks the odds on a return or future premiership are longer than they might be?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    IanB2 said:

Second like Farron

Lol.
  • Options
    Its going to be fantastic....America isn't just going to be great again, it is going to be the greatest ever, like ever...right?
  • Options

Its going to be fantastic....America isn't just going to be great again, it is going to be the greatest ever, like ever...right?

It's going to be so yuge!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2017
    Sky showing an anarchic mob. Plod now fighting with them.
  • Options

We have the greatest new threads on PB, don't we folks? The greatest!
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    @ Scott_P FPT

That is just mean! :) BTW, TimB, that was one helluvah game.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Unlike Black Rock who are doomed..
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Protesters or the Cabinet?
  • Options

FPT: If Osborne isn't retiring, does taking the job nevertheless indicate he thinks the odds on a return or future premiership are longer than they might be?

Looks that way to me. I imagine he's seen the latest polling and realised the people of this country won't be voting for his brand of metropolitanism anytime soon...
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2017
    The lamentations amongst the liberal-left, Hillary-supporting, rich, London-based Americans of my acquaintance are completely off the scale, and their fantasies about whether Trump might be impeached are pitiful to behold.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

average 15 by the looks of it
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    MTimT said:

@ Scott_P FPT

It was a fabulous game. Even better that I bet on the packers
  • Options
    Mr. D, this is going to be great, so many tips. I have the best tips, I do, it's the truth people. The odds are so huge! We're going to build a great bank balance, and the bookies are gonna pay for it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    A 50/1 tip came in? That's biggly....
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MrHarryCole: Osborne: "BlackRock wants better outcomes for pensioners and savers - and I want to help them deliver that." Kerching......
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    RobD said:

We have the greatest new threads on PB, don't we folks? The greatest!

We're in the Bigly.

• Options

I think Osborne now realizes his political career is about as likely to revive as that of Jeffery Archer.

• Options
    Riot on....
  • Options
    Mr. Mortimer, perhaps.

Still far too early to say. Polling today may well undergo a change as large as the 2007 conference season swing, given the interesting circumstances we have ahead.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613

Bit of an over-reaction to Osborne's job at Blackrock.
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, what 50/1 tip?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    TGOHF said:

Unlike Black Rock who are doomed..

If you now try and leave Black Rock, will you receive a punishment budget on your funds...?

• Options
    Scott_P said:

MTimT said:

@ Scott_P FPT

It was a fabulous game. Even better that I bet on the packers
    I had to consult a fan, but am told that the Cowboys now have the basis of a team that could go all the way. It'sapparently been 21 years since they went to the NFC championship.
  • Options

Mr. Mortimer, perhaps.

Still far too early to say. Polling today may well undergo a change as large as the 2007 conference season swing, given the interesting circumstances we have ahead.

True. That was quite a swing.
  • Options

The lamentations amongst the liberal-left, Hillary-supporting, rich, London-based Americans of my acquaintance are completely off the scale, and their fantasies about whether Trump might be impeached are pitiful to behold.

Some of you on this site are literally obsessed with the liberal left. I see so many posts about liberal-left reactions on this site it's unbelievable, especially since most PBers are right-wing.

Anyway, I'm giving this Inauguration a miss.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,929

Some of you on this site are literally obsessed with the liberal left. I see so many posts about liberal-left reactions on this site it's unbelievable, especially since most PBers are right-wing.

Typical liberal lefty
  • Options

Mr. D, this is going to be great, so many tips. I have the best tips, I do, it's the truth people. The odds are so huge! We're going to build a great bank balance, and the bookies are gonna pay for it.

*ahem* you mean 'yuge'... surely? :D
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Trump and Obama spouse party leaving the WH. Now the veeps, then Trump and Obama.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    Michelle looks super-pissed off*.

*not in that way.
  • Options

Similarly, others are obsessed with said obsession :p
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,221
    Tell me this isn't happening and I am just having a nightmare.
  • Options

Two of the three news networks are full of liberal leftys. So is most of the press. It's not a question of being obsessed with them - it's hard to avoid them.
  • Options
    Obama doesn't look too good. Despair might be the word.
  • Options

He seems to be taking it all quite seriously. He is certainly more worldly than many if not all previous POTUSs so let's give him a chance.
  • Options

Let's have a reminder of where we were two months ago:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/sam-wang-princeton-election-consortium-poll-hillary-clinton-donald-trump-victory-a7399671.html
  • Options

You are being very silly - you seem to have some kind of irrational trigger reaction to the phrase 'liberal-left'. It was, to be fair, somewhat redundant, because I don't think there are many Trump supporters amongst rich US ex-pats in London - certainly not amongst my circle of friends.

Feel free to re-read what I wrote having erased it, and you might find that I wrote something quite relevant.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    I love Melania's outfit.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    edited January 2017
    Ten minutes until my shortest ever odds political bet pays out :)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    TRUMP TRAIN CHOOOOOOOOOOO CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Bit of an over-reaction to Osborne's job at Blackrock.
    To be fair as a customer I think they are totally justified.
  • Options
    motorcade on its way
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited January 2017
    RobD said:

Well as a liberal-leftie I will react!

@Tim_B What news networks are you referring to? And most of the press is not 'full' of liberal lefties. Being anti-Trump does not mean liberal-left.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Ten minutes until my shortest ever odds bet pays out :)

Kerchingchingcing BOOM

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

It was a good bet. You would kill for a return like that in real life. Just goes to show how greedy people (ie me) can be in that I didn't take advantage of an effective annual return of quite some spectacular proportions.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

RobD said:

@Tim_B What news networks are you referring to? And most of the press is not 'full' of liberal lefties. Being anti-Trump does not mean liberal-left.
    CNN and MsNBC. Most of the press is self-admittedly liberal. It's hardly a secret.
  • Options

You are being very silly - you seem to have some kind of irrational trigger reaction to the phrase 'liberal-left'. It was, to be fair, somewhat redundant, because I don't think there are many Trump supporters amongst rich US ex-pats in London - certainly not amongst my circle of friends.

Feel free to re-read what I wrote having erased it, and you might find that I wrote something quite relevant.
    I'm not being very silly at all, I'm making an observation.

I have no such 'irrational trigger' to the phrase liberal-left. The liberal-left are mentioned on here a lot but I don't reply to every post with liberal-left in it.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,718

Impeach Trump and you'd get Pence. That's a good enough reason not to.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

why 10 mins?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Unless he changes his tie in the car?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

CNN and MsNBC
    I can't defend MSNBC as I don't know too much about their network. I watch CNN pretty regularly and they have a decent mix of both liberal-lefties and Conservative commentators on their shows.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Have Alec Baldwin and Meryl Streep arrived yet..?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Washington is an ugly city.

Its a soulless place.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    SeanT said:

It is. Almost like some crazed wedding cake maker put it together.

Trump saying 'drain the swamp' - DC was built on a swamp.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

This has got nothing on a coronation!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2017

I have no such 'irrational trigger' to the phrase liberal-left. The liberal-left are mentioned on here a lot but I don't reply to every post with liberal-left in it.
    I'm sorry, but you were being silly. You accused me of being 'obsessed' with the phrase, which is completely daft. It's a descriptive phrase, exactly like 'centre-right' or 'far left' or 'socially conservative', describing in admittedly broad-brush terms a general political position. I used it entirely accurately in this case - it describes perfectly the people whose reaction I was describing: in UK terms, they'd probably be something like Blairite, before Blairism became a dirty word.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
  • Options
    Mr. D, I just hope Charles doesn't bugger it up with his 'Defence of Faith' nonsense.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Trump's speech is going to be yuge short apparently (according to sky).
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, probably bad for the speech buzzword market.
  • Options

Impeach Trump and you'd get Pence. That's a good enough reason not to.
    A point which I have made to my lamenting friends. Those who are still capable of something like a rational reaction do see the force of the point.
  • Options

JFK was 13 minutes. Trump is apparently going to be about 20.
  • Options

Mr. D, I just hope Charles doesn't bugger it up with his 'Defence of Faith' nonsense.

'Defender of the faith, and all faiths' would be a good compromise. Not sure what that is in Latin though!
  • Options
    edited January 2017

I don't know, Sky reports that Bannan told them it is going to be nationalist, populist, and focused on America. Perhaps he will just stand up and say "I am going to make America great again, thank you and goodnight".
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Tim_B said:

SeanT said:

On purpose so that legislators would want to spend as little time there as possible. It didn't work!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003
    Tim_B said:

SeanT said:

I'd always assumed that the phrase referred to DC, esp. with the malaria connotations.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    If memory serves BlackRock has something like $4Trillion under investment. I really do wonder what skills and abilities Osborne (essentially a failed politician) could bring to a party like that. Anyone got any ideas?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

He wants it nice and short so he can get back to the White House and start playing with those codes as soon as possible.
  • Options

If memory serves BlackRock has something like $4Trillion under investment. I really do wonder what skills and abilities Osborne (essentially a failed politician) could bring to a party like that. Anyone got any ideas?

I am sure all the family experience in the wallpaper biz was what sealed the deal for him.
  • Options

I'm sorry, but you were being silly. You accused me of being 'obsessed' with the phrase, which is completely daft. It's a descriptive phrase, exactly like 'centre-right' or 'far left' or 'socially conservative', describing in admittedly bread-brush terms a general political position. I used it entirely accurately in this case - it describes perfectly the people whose reaction I was describing: in UK terms, they'd probably be something like Blairite, before Blairism became a dirty word.
    Well, I wasn't accusing you specifically. If you go back and read my post, you'll see it's a comment/observation of this site generally.

I also don't see how the rest of what you've just stated refutes my observation. Liberal-left being a descriptive phrase doesn't really change the fact that many on this site continually seem to refer to liberal-left and specifically their reactions to Trump.
  • Options

Paddy's market was for "first mentioned"

Trappy market.
  • Options
    So when do the Senegalese troops show up?
  • Options

Seriously?
  • Options
    Obama and wife will fly to Chicago on Air Force One, then promptly return to DC.Joe Biden and his wife will go home to Delaware on Amtrak, which he has done every day as a senator.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

He wants it nice and short so he can get back to the White House and start playing with those codes as soon as possible.
    Nah...it is because he wants to get back on twitter ASAP and see what the biased fake news media have to say about him.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Kerchingchingcing BOOM

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP
    Thanks for that tip, only a couple of quid but it's the principle of bookies offering 1/25 on what was a certainty bar the death of the president-elect.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Can't be denied that the advent of Trump raises the Female Hotness quotient in DC. God bless Michelle, but she was no looker. A great speaker and arguably more inspiring than her husband. But not a looker.

Well, that's ok then. The whole election was worth it.
  • Options
    Mr. D, and atheists/agnostics?

No. The monarch must be Defender of the Faith. He's going to be supreme governor of the Church of England, not a Grand Ayatollah, Chief Rabbi or Lord High Monk.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Hillary Clinton✔@HillaryClinton

I'm here today to honor our democracy & its enduring values. I will never stop believing in our country & its future. #Inauguration
    3:53 PM - 20 Jan 2017

No dear, you're there because you're the wife an ex-president.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Can't be denied that the advent of Trump raises the Female Hotness quotient in DC. God bless Michelle, but she was no looker. A great speaker and arguably more inspiring than her husband. But not a looker.

Well the FLOTUS isn't really there to be a 'looker'....
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Donald will be devastated.

It is exactly because the site is right wing that you see the expression liberal left; the liberal left don't see themselves as liberal left, they see themselves as self-evidently right about everything.
  • Options

I am sure all the family experience in the wallpaper biz was what sealed the deal for him.
    He's on first name terms with the head of the IMF?
  • Options

He's on first name terms with the head of the IMF?
    I am sure that had absolutely nothing to do with his appointment....
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

SeanT said:

Well, that's ok then. The whole election was worth it.
    Sean makes a serious point and pile in with a facetious comment

sheesh
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, that sounds like a bloody awful market.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Seriously?
    Implied promise to Hammond and future CotEs ?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Unless he changes his tie in the car?
    Nah, that he becomes president today. 1/25 offered on Sunday or Monday. Taking longer than expected though, my watch was an hour out from what I thought it was!

Would be funny if he and O swapped their ties though!
  • Options

So when do the Senegalese troops show up?

LOL!
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

It is exactly because the site is right wing that you see the expression liberal left; the liberal left don't see themselves as liberal left, they see themselves as self-evidently right about everything.
    Well Trump is a man that is awfully sensitive to any type of criticism that is directed his way!

As someone who is a liberal-leftie, and who knows other liberal-lefties I can assure you that we do see ourselves as 'liberal-left'. And you could say that Conservatives see themselves as 'self-evidently right about everything' too.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Kerchingchingcing BOOM

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP
    It's only January 20th but I think I'm nailed on to win Tipster of the year for my 1/25 tip on Trump to be inaugurated :lol:
  • Options

Hillary Clinton✔@HillaryClinton

I'm here today to honor our democracy & its enduring values. I will never stop believing in our country & its future. #Inauguration
    3:53 PM - 20 Jan 2017

No dear, you're there because you're the wife an ex-president.

Doesn't the loser always come to the inauguration? Or do they stay away?
  • Options

No. The monarch must be Defender of the Faith. He's going to be supreme governor of the Church of England, not a Grand Ayatollah, Chief Rabbi or Lord High Monk.

Or its time to disestablish the Church. That's another option, why can't the Archbishop of Canterbury be Defender of the Faith?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Ishmael_Z said:

I don't like the term liberal-left, simply because it implies an illiberal-right. People often propose re-orienting the political spectrum (e.g. open vs. closed), and we probably should discuss this topic more extensively.

I doubt that there are any posters on this board who aren't socially liberal - though I do grant there's some mild hostility to Muslims among some posters.
  • Options

That's fair enough, my idea was simply so that Defender of the faith was maintained, unlike Charles' suggestion.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Kerchingchingcing BOOM

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP
    It's only January 20th but I think I'm nailed on to win Tipster of the year for my 1/25 tip on Trump to be inaugurated :lol:
    33 mins yet according to sky news!!
  • Options
    The former president of the Gambia has asked for more time. Until 4pm, apparently.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-38686144
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Kerchingchingcing BOOM

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP
    33 mins yet according to sky news!!
    Not at midday?
This discussion has been closed.