Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Douglas Carswell is my 100/1 tip for next Speaker of the House

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited January 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Douglas Carswell is my 100/1 tip for next Speaker of the House of Commons

Back in June 2009 when John Bercow was elected Speaker of the House of Commons he said he would serve for nine years, so if he honours his promise we are around 18 months from the election of a new Speaker.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    First like the Moggster.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    tlg86 said:

First like the Moggster.

Bring back the wigs and breeches.. make the Speaker great again!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2017
    The Crystal Methodist is back with another outing for his sob story...and still blaming everybody else, this time its the church cos they iz anti-gay...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38709399

Just a hint mate, drugs, prozzies and fiddling your expenses might have had something to do with it.
  • Options
    We used to have great threads here didn't we folks, everybody agrees we used to have winning threads. Now vvvvhhina is beating us to having better threads. I know new threads. Lets make new threads great again.
  • Options

We used to have great threads here didn't we folks, everybody agrees we used to have winning threads. Now vvvvhhina is beating us to having better threads. I know new threads. Lets make new threads great again.

Sad

( :D )
  • Options
    Interesting question from Carswell in that clip!
  • Options
    The British Scottish tennis player is in big trouble in the Australian Open.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    With Carswell as Speaker and Abbott as leader of the opposition why not go for a triple with Gove as PM?
  • Options

White House confirms May first foreign leader to visit Trump:

The President will welcome his first foreign leader this Thursday when the United Kingdom's Theresa May will come to Washington -- on Friday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/01/21/sean-spicer-held-a-press-conference-he-didnt-take-questions-or-tell-the-whole-truth/

So to the Remoaners who were hoping Netanyahu would pip her to the post.....tough....

That's a great story. The shape of things to come!

...Poor Theresa
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    edited January 2017
    FPT tyson said:
    Trump and Brexit show that Democracy is clearly failing...I used to believe once that democracy would provide the best outcomes by and large (even Thatcher 3 times)...but now with Trump and Brexit, the collective will of the people leads to this load of old bollocks......

Churchill, the advocate of global institutions, would think likewise.......

-----

Democracy is powerful. It allows the people to make good decisions, bad decisions and decisions that muck everything up because they don't understand the consequences.

The problem with Trump and Brexit is that there isn't a consensus for either of the disruptions. There's no collective will for them.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983
    Roger said:

The President will welcome his first foreign leader this Thursday when the United Kingdom's Theresa May will come to Washington -- on Friday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/01/21/sean-spicer-held-a-press-conference-he-didnt-take-questions-or-tell-the-whole-truth/

So to the Remoaners who were hoping Netanyahu would pip her to the post.....tough....

...Poor Theresa
    She’d best wear those leather trousers!
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FPT tyson said:
    Trump and Brexit show that Democracy is clearly failing...I used to believe once that democracy would provide the best outcomes by and large (even Thatcher 3 times)...but now with Trump and Brexit, the collective will of the people leads to this load of old bollocks......

-----

Democracy is powerful. It allows the people to make good decisions, bad decisions and decisions that muck everything up because they don't understand the consequences.

The problem with Trump and Brexit is that there isn't a consensus for either of the disruptions. There's no collective will for them.

But clearly given their victories nor was there a collective will for what went before
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710

FF43 said:

FPT tyson said:

-----

But clearly given their victories nor was there a collective will for what went before
    Agreed. But they are also non disruptive. I believe in democracy. Brexit needs to go ahead. Trump also needs to go ahead, if that's a concept. Neither are a recipe for success, simply because of that lack of consensus, unfortunately.
  • Options

Roger said:

...Poor Theresa
    Wonder if they are waterproof?

Oh, my coat?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Good morning all.

One of life's little ironies is that we routinely genuflect to Greek, and particularly Athenian, democracy, without examining the history of the Athenian state.

Its democracy ended up making a series of utterly boneheaded decisions that ultimately ended at Aegospotami. Democracy doesn't, in any way, guarantee good outcomes.

I sometimes wonder what the world would look like if they hadn't lucked into finding that new silver seam at Laurium. It's a real historical deux ex machina.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Roger said:

...Poor Theresa

Oh, my coat?
    Never seen a cow get wet inside leather!
  • Options
    Isn't there something rather infra dig about Prime Minister May's obvious excitement at being the first leader to be summoned to an audience with Groper Trump?

Particularly as it's outcome has got 'Neville Chamberlain' written all over it
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I'll miss John Bercow. Betting on him to be in office at the end of the year used to be one of my favourite earners.
  • Options

RobD said:

Roger said:

...Poor Theresa

Oh, my coat?
    Never seen a cow get wet inside leather!
    I've just been handed another coat, is it yours? :D
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Roger said:

Isn't there something rather infra dig about Prime Minister May's obvious excitement at being the first leader to be summoned to an audience with Groper Trump?

The spectacle of the grey vicars daughter kissing Trumps orange arse is going to be popcorn time again.
  • Options

Roger said:

The spectacle of the grey vicars daughter kissing Trumps orange arse is going to be popcorn time again.
    I hope everything said is carefully recorded. By both sides.
  • Options

Roger said:

I have a horrible feeling you're not even being metaphorical.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653

Roger said:

Merkel visiting too, is she?
  • Options

Roger said:

I think she has more sense, and less desperation.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited January 2017

Roger said:

It'll be an interesting diplomatic test for Donald and his new team of non-politicans. We don't yet know whether it's possible for him to keep stuff that is agreed to be confidential, actually confidential.

He went about business ditching confidences whenever his immediate interests changed. You can't do international diplomacy that way.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Roger said:

If this was reversed it would be evidence that Trump was sidelining Britain in favour of the EU, I'm sure.
  • Options

Roger said:

That's how it looks. TM could take a few lessons from Merkel. Even in these crazy times and faced by an abomination she manages to appear serene. The Germans as in so many things are efficient at choosing their leaders.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,994

Roger said:

Something that is carefully recorded - such as pictures of crowds - can be ignored or disbelieved by Trump.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38707722

Steve Jobs was said to have a RDF - a reality distortion field.
    The RDF was said by Andy Hertzfeld to be Steve Jobs's ability to convince himself and others to believe almost anything with a mix of charm, charisma, bravado, hyperbole, marketing, appeasement and persistence. RDF was said to distort an audience's sense of proportion and scales of difficulties and made them believe that the task at hand was possible. Jobs could also use the RDF to appropriate other's ideas as his own, sometimes proposing an idea to its originator after dismissing it the week before.[3]
    I'm starting to wonder if Trump has a variant on this, at least to some gullible people.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

That's how it looks. TM could take a few lessons from Merkel. Even in these crazy times and faced by an abomination she manages to appear serene. The Germans as in so many things are efficient at choosing their leaders.
    Not least, Trump still needs to appoint a lot of people, and it is clear that he wants to get started on his internal agenda. I cannot see it being more than a cursory photocall and a few platitudes.
  • Options

Roger said:

Something that is carefully recorded - such as pictures of crowds - can be ignored or disbelieved by Trump.

The RDF was said by Andy Hertzfeld to be Steve Jobs's ability to convince himself and others to believe almost anything with a mix of charm, charisma, bravado, hyperbole, marketing, appeasement and persistence. RDF was said to distort an audience's sense of proportion and scales of difficulties and made them believe that the task at hand was possible. Jobs could also use the RDF to appropriate other's ideas as his own, sometimes proposing an idea to its originator after dismissing it the week before.[3]
    I'm starting to wonder if Trump has a variant on this, at least to some gullible people.

Trump is very much the Emperor's new clothes. That is why he is so prickly over the size of the crowds. He knows the Truth and believes that he can overcome it with bombastic demagogary.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Roger said:

If this was reversed it would be evidence that Trump was sidelining Britain in favour of the EU, I'm sure.
    Indeed - the Remoaners were cheering themselves for a few days that Netanyahu would get there first, now he isn't its all a bad idea.....
  • Options

Roger said:

And doesn't want a conversation on defence spending.....
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Roger said:

Roger said:

In view of history over the last 100 years, you may wish to reconsider that assertion.
  • Options
    Theresa May is absolutely right to meet Donald Trump asap. What she actually says will be very important.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Be serious! She appears to the world like a bitch on heat.

It's really not a cool look for a British Prime Minister. It reminds me of Blair at his most obsequious
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

It's really not a cool look for a British Prime Minister. It reminds me of Blair at his most obsequious
    you voted for Blair
  • Options

Roger said:

There’s no evidence that anyone on Trump’s side took any pictures. Agree about the RDF, though. Scary thing is that Steve Jobs was very successful.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Theresa May is absolutely right to meet Donald Trump asap. What she actually says will be very important.

"Which part of your body should I kiss first, Sir?"
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Blair adopted the Bush walk. Blair was in a teenage crush.

I doubt May will be so besotted by POTUS
  • Options

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

you voted for Blair
    So did I and I agree with Roger. Blair’s big, big, mistake was to believe that he HAD to go along with anything an American President said. Wilson, and Robin Cook, had a lot better grasp of reality there.
  • Options
    reading throuh the german press, Germany is having an outburst of collective Angst on Trump's presidency. Their friend Obama has gone and with him the policies that benefitted Germany. Now they dont know whats coming next or quite what to do.
  • Options
    Toby Helm, in The Grauniad:

Theresa May has sealed a major diplomatic coup by becoming the first European leader to secure a meeting with President Donald Trump at the White House....

...May, who unlike Trump is known for measuring her every word, has said she will hold very “frank” discussions with the president and has been openly critical of some of his more outspoken remarks, notably about women.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/21/theresa-may-to-travel-to-us-for-donald-trump-visit-next-week-reports
  • Options

Roger said:

And doesn't want a conversation on defence spending.....
    Quite right too ! Who is the enemy ? Russia ? No. They are Trump's closest ally. ISIL/AQ ? You don't need armoured divisions for that.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Indeed - the Remoaners were cheering themselves for a few days that Netanyahu would get there first, now he isn't its all a bad idea.....
    Jared Kuchner didn't do his job.
  • Options

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

you voted for Blair
    So did I and I agree with Roger. Blair’s big, big, mistake was to believe that he HAD to go along with anything an American President said. Wilson, and Robin Cook, had a lot better grasp of reality there.
    Which is perhaps why its best to see what happens in the meeting first
  • Options
    Pong said:

Roger said:

It'll be an interesting diplomatic test for Donald and his new team of non-politicans. We don't yet know whether it's possible for him to keep stuff that is agreed to be confidential, actually confidential.

He went about business ditching confidences whenever his immediate interests changed. You can't do international diplomacy that way.
    Trump can.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Netanyahu would be the perfect fist visitor. Two of a kind.
  • Options

Theresa May has sealed a major diplomatic coup by becoming the first European leader to secure a meeting with President Donald Trump at the White House....

...May, who unlike Trump is known for measuring her every word, has said she will hold very “frank” discussions with the president and has been openly critical of some of his more outspoken remarks, notably about women.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/21/theresa-may-to-travel-to-us-for-donald-trump-visit-next-week-reports

That's a fair summary.

She has to be as good as her word on this. On this occasion, I expect she will be.
  • Options
    Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Not really any different to any previous race to meet an incoming POTUS. This time it's extremely valuable given how radical (or crazy, depending on one's outlook) Trump's agenda is.

Anyway, Heathrow beckons. Manilla here we come!
  • Options

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

you voted for Blair
    NO! Much better decide beforehand!

Merkel in first = 'May humiliated, Britain sidelined'
    May in first = 'May is bitch in heat, Merkel wise to wait'

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

Roger said:

There’s no evidence that anyone on Trump’s side took any pictures. Agree about the RDF, though. Scary thing is that Steve Jobs was very successful.

Things that are personality flaws can serve leaders very well. Stalin's paranoia and suspicion, or Nixon's social insecurity and resentment both helped them get to the top.
  • Options

I'll miss John Bercow. Betting on him to be in office at the end of the year used to be one of my favourite earners.

Bercow indeed was great. He grew [ no pun intended! ] into the job.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

you voted for Blair

The second one is correct.

What will Trump want from May. Disband wind farms ?
  • Options

That's a fair summary.
    The Guardian seems to be surviving Brexit with its critical faculties intact.

The rest of the press only analyse stories through their Brexit good/bad prism.....
  • Options

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

you voted for Blair
    Blair believed that he had to demonstrate to the US that a Labour administration could be a staunch ally. Labour has always been considered (at best) weak on defence in the US, with the possible exception of Attlee's government (which I now consider to have been Labour's pinnacle - it's been downhill all the way since).

Unfortunately, he misunderstood the underpinnings of the 'special relationship' and adopted a posture that can only be described as supine. That said, I still think he had a decent domestic record, it's a pity for him that his foreign policy errors were so enormous as to partially erase his accomplishments.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

you voted for Blair

I cant help the left need to fill theiir current grief with activity - demos, boycotts etc. - when really what they should be doing is ask why the man got elected in the first place.

• Options

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

you voted for Blair
    While I agree that May seems over-eager, as far as the meeting itself is concerned, I’m with you.
    We can enjoy a discussion about the nuances of the post-meeting statements next weekend!
  • Options

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

you voted for Blair
    Two things to say about that.

Firstly, ISTR that when Bush replaced Clinton, the media over here had kittens over how it would be impossible for Blair to have as close a relationship with Bush as he had had with Clinton. Yet if anything, the relationship was closer.

Secondly, there have been reports that Blair was more in favour of action against Iraq than Bush was, and pre-dating 9/11. I can't remember if the Chilcot inquiry backed that view or not.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Things that are personality flaws can serve leaders very well. Stalin's paranoia and suspicion, or Nixon's social insecurity and resentment both helped them get to the top.

John Major too. Though he was not a bad guy.
  • Options

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

you voted for Blair

I cant help the left need to fill theiir current grief with activity - demos, boycotts etc. - when really what they should be doing is ask why the man got elected in the first place.
    Simple! As with Brexit, the people are wrong

If Twitter is any guide, the Trump Presidency is over.....just ask Prime Ministers Miliband and Salmond.....
  • Options
    John_M said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

you voted for Blair
    Blair believed that he had to demonstrate to the US that a Labour administration could be a staunch ally. Labour has always been considered (at best) weak on defence in the US, with the possible exception of Attlee's government (which I now consider to have been Labour's pinnacle - it's been downhill all the way since).

Unfortunately, he misunderstood the underpinnings of the 'special relationship' and adopted a posture that can only be described as supine. That said, I still think he had a decent domestic record, it's a pity for him that his foreign policy errors were so enormous as to partially erase his accomplishments.
    A real friend can be critical. In both senses of the term.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

I don't think May can have a crush on anyone. She's cold!
  • Options

That's a fair summary.

She has to be as good as her word on this. On this occasion, I expect she will be.
    That's fine if she was meeting a serious or proven politician who played by any known rules. She's meeting Coco the Clown or Chance the gardener and she'd be much better letting someone else with less to lose be the experiment.
  • Options
    Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

And what would be the reaction to President Trump likening a female politician to a 'bitch in heat' (she's a Tory - so its ok - ed.)
  • Options

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

you voted for Blair

If Twitter is any guide, the Trump Presidency is over.....just ask Prime Ministers Miliband and Salmond.....
    I can think of one Twitter user who disagrees. :-)

One of the more interesting things will be to see how Twitter develops in the next 4 years
  • Options

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

you voted for Blair

No. Unlike Brexit the people were NOT wrong! THe people voted by 3m for the other person. The system is wrong!
  • Options

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

you voted for Blair

I can think of one Twitter user who disagrees. :-)

One of the more interesting things will be to see how Twitter develops in the next 4 years
    Bankruptcy.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

philiph said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

She & Philip (May, for the avoidance of doubt) get along just fine.....
  • Options
    Both Tony Blair and Gordon Brown were able to boast being the first European leaders to meet new presidents during their times as prime minister. Blair won the race to meet President George W Bush in 2001 and Brown was the first to meet President Barack Obama in 2009.

'Bitches in heat' too, were they?

Though IIRC neither were actually the first foreign leaders to meet either - hence the qualification 'European'...
  • Options
    surbiton said:

philiph said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

I think so too. In public she will smile.

On the subject of foreign visits that do not lead to a meeting of minds:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38707997
  • Options

surbiton said:

philiph said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Do you know them personally ? They don't appear to be warm like Cam & Sam or indeed Tony & Cherie.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

philiph said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Do you know them personally ? They don't appear to be warm like Cam & Sam or indeed Tony & Cherie.
    Tony and Cherie ?

warm in the way of someone who tries to sell you a time share
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

philiph said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Do you know them personally ?
    Yes.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    surbiton said:

philiph said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

She has the look of a women who could give a BJ whilst reading an autoque though!!

Even to a man with small hands.

Surely a factor in the early invite.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

you voted for Blair

No. Unlike Brexit the people were NOT wrong! THe people voted by 3m for the other person. The system is wrong!
    Complaining about the system after the result is the classic sign of the poor looser.

The system is what it is - if Trump worked it better than Clinton, whose fault is that?
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    philiph said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

In view of history over the last 100 years, you may wish to reconsider that assertion.
    Germany's leaders generally make the right decisions for Germany, but their over-logical approach can lead to them making a single and ultimately fatal miscalculation.

In WW1, it was antagonising the USA by torpedoing their ships. They had won the war on the Eastern front, and it was only American resources that ultimately defeated them in 1918, albeit aided by the enemy within after the first setbacks of mid 1918.

In WW2, their leader's sole error was invading Russia in 1941 before the British Empire had been fully defeated, thus creating a war on 2 fronts, which he had previously said he wouldn't do, having previously proceeded towards his aims "one by one".

Is Merkel's the admission of so many unintegratable aliens who can never become German citizens, or the miscalculation in dealing with Cameron that led to Brexit? Probably the former, as the EU hasn't yet lost the UK. Peter Hitchens' latest comments in his blog on the Mail on Sunday website suggest that despite the Brexit vote, the UK will remain part of the EU in all but name; after all, the vote was only advisory and parliament is sovereign.
  • Options

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

philiph said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Do you know them personally ?
    Yes.
    I say.
  • Options

surbiton said:

philiph said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

She has the look of a women who could give a BJ whilst reading an autoque though!!
    Imagine the OUTRAGE if Trump wrote something like that?

But because May is a Tory it's all fair.

Frankly, I expected better of you.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

surbiton said:

philiph said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

That is a disgusting comment.
  • Options

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

And what would be the reaction to President Trump likening a female politician to a 'bitch in heat' (she's a Tory - so its ok - ed.)
    I'm using the vernacular of the new POTUS. Get with the program!
  • Options
    I have to say that the comments by the lefties on here over the last few days, and particularly this morning, have enlightened me as to why they never elect women leaders; it's not just their ideas on government that are stuck in the 70s.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

you voted for Blair

Just like the UK in 1951.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

Imagine the OUTRAGE if Trump wrote something like that?

I am sure DJT will ask if its true on Friday
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

What a bizarre, sexist thing to say.

May getting to see Donald first is probably a good sign for the UK.

• Options

surbiton said:

philiph said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

That is a disgusting comment.
    Seconded, Mr SR
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good morning, everyone.

From the little I've seen (don't watch the Commons much), Hoyle seems an even-handed and sound fellow. Better than the incumbent.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

you voted for Blair

Complaining about the system after the result is the classic sign of the poor looser.

The system is what it is - if Trump worked it better than Clinton, whose fault is that?
    No one is questioning his legitimacy. But you chose to say the people are wrong.

My point is that the people after all did not vote him in. The system did.
  • Options
    John_M said:

I have to say that the comments by the lefties on here over the last few days, and particularly this morning, have enlightened me as to why they never elect women leaders; it's not just their ideas on government that are stuck in the 70s.

You pompous arse!!
  • Options
    Roger said:

That's a fair summary.

That's fine if she was meeting a serious or proven politician who played by any known rules. She's meeting Coco the Clown or Chance the gardener and she'd be much better letting someone else with less to lose be the experiment.
    Right now Britain has to take the gamble. It is in a strategically dire position and can't sit back.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

May getting to see Donald first is probably a good sign for the UK.
    It was when Blair & Brown managed it (well, were first Europeans), but now its a Tory its a disaster.....
  • Options
    Roger said:

John_M said:

You pompous arse!!
    so why dont you elect women ?

• Options
    surbiton said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

you voted for Blair

Trump got the votes where it mattered. Whether Clinton wins California by 4,300 or 4.3 m makes no difference.
  • Options
    Off-topic:

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned on here yet, but a Trident test in June apparently failed:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38708823

Now, my first reaction to this was: 'good'.

Why?

It was a test. You learn things from successful tests: you may find a rocket motor was burning a little hot, or a guidance computer was slightly out of spec on a few parameters. Things can go slightly wrong, or non-optimally, and the test can still succeed as a whole.

You learn much more from a failed test. Something is wrong. Is it a problem with the hardware, software, an operational issue, a storage problem, etc, etc. Hopefully you have enough telemetry to work out what went wrong and look for areas where similar issues might occur.

As an aside, you need to be worried if you perform tests and you only ever get 'perfect' results, especially in a system where you can only perform small numbers of tests. It's far too easy to gain overconfidence in a system, as was shown with the Shuttle.

It'd be interesting to know how heavily instrumented these tests are; are they fully stock missile systems, selected at random, or are they altered?
  • Options

Roger said:

John_M said:

You pompous arse!!
    so why dont you elect women ?
    Because they think of them as 'bitches in heat' who can 'give blow jobs'?
  • Options
    John_M said:

I think they persuade themselves that women who support right wing parties aren't really women.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Roger said:

That's a fair summary.

Right now Britain has to take the gamble. It is in a strategically dire position and can't sit back.
    My fear is that May/Tories are so desperate for a good news story once brexit gets going that we sign up to an awful deal with America...
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Didn't someone say that T May was on Marr this morning?
  • Options
    Marr - is it really a good idea for the LDs to keep parading Cleggy on the EU ?
  • Options

surbiton said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

you voted for Blair

Just like the UK in 1951.
    With a silly system like PR, it can always happen.
This discussion has been closed.