Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on Mrs May outdistancing Mrs Thatcher’s tenure as Prim

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited January 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on Mrs May outdistancing Mrs Thatcher’s tenure as Prime Minister

William Hill have a market on whether Mrs May being Prime Minister for longer than the country’s first Prime Minister. To be honest I’m not enthused by either option. To win the  10/1, you’d be tying up your money for the next eleven years, I can think of better things to do with my money than given William Hill an interest free loan for eleven years.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    No chance. She might not last 2 years.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Second like Hillary.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2017

PlatoSaid said:

Just for @SouthamObserver

@nytpolitics CNN just contradicted you with this picture...looks like more people for Trump than you show? https://t.co/DemnUhiFch

Cheers - much smaller crowds than Obama got.

Why does Trump even care about this? And why on earth does he care to the extent of lying about it? Just bizarre.

See: https://twitter.com/rascouet/status/823035518313267202
    I agree with basically this analysis other than I don't think it is about laying down the law now, trump has been playing the lying media angle for 18 months. And what allows him to get away with it is the media lost any sense of balance and have spun every little thing as negatively about him to the extent that they have lied about him, which opens the door for people doubting the media...

it's kind like the daily mail and immigration stories here eg the adults as kids, set off a load of fake news on Twitter about was the daily mail photographing an interpreter (when it was Getty and one of the "child" migrants)...but people were willing to believe Twitter vs mail.

Also this latest outburst has buried the Obama care repel stuff.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    From the last thread :
    HYUFD said:

We discussed this a few weeks ago, but there's an update, Cowley Tech further confirms its status as a dump

Oxford University faces a landmark trial over a claim for $1.6 million compensation from a student who alleges “boring” and “appallingly bad” tuition cost him a first-class degree and robbed him of the high-flying legal career he coveted.

The university had applied to the High Court to strike out the claim for damages by Faiz Siddiqui, who studied modern history at Brasenose College more than 16 years ago, arguing it was “hopelessly bad” and “time barred”.

However, in an 18-page judgment, Mr Justice Kerr refused to do so and instead ruled that Oxford “has a case to answer” and that the arguments should be heard in a trial “as soon as possible”.

To be honest if I was Hizzoner Kerr, I'd have thrown the case out saying Siddiqui should have been aware that it is common knowledge for centuries that Oxford is hopelessly bad.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/the-times/oxford-university-ordered-to-face-trial-over-bad-teaching/news-story/16608fda7aeafb11c902dd15f38166ee

What has a history dehree got to do with a legal career anyway?
    If he had gone to Fenland Poly, he could have become a KGB agent. Think of the career advantages...
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

First.

- Sean Spicer

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    Agree she will probably be there until 2024 and then hand over, maybe to Hammond. So she will be there longer than Major, Brown and Cameron but not as long as Thatcher and Blair
  • Options

From the last thread :

HYUFD said:

We discussed this a few weeks ago, but there's an update, Cowley Tech further confirms its status as a dump

Oxford University faces a landmark trial over a claim for $1.6 million compensation from a student who alleges “boring” and “appallingly bad” tuition cost him a first-class degree and robbed him of the high-flying legal career he coveted.

The university had applied to the High Court to strike out the claim for damages by Faiz Siddiqui, who studied modern history at Brasenose College more than 16 years ago, arguing it was “hopelessly bad” and “time barred”.

However, in an 18-page judgment, Mr Justice Kerr refused to do so and instead ruled that Oxford “has a case to answer” and that the arguments should be heard in a trial “as soon as possible”.

To be honest if I was Hizzoner Kerr, I'd have thrown the case out saying Siddiqui should have been aware that it is common knowledge for centuries that Oxford is hopelessly bad.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/the-times/oxford-university-ordered-to-face-trial-over-bad-teaching/news-story/16608fda7aeafb11c902dd15f38166ee

If he had gone to Fenland Poly, he could have become a KGB agent. Think of the career advantages...
    So many missed opportunities...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    Rubbish bet, but an interesting question.
    Given her age and potential health problems, I would guess that her stepping down before the 2025 election (assuming, of course, that a snap election in the next twelve months doesn't muck up the electoral timeframe) is the most likely outcome.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Agree she will probably be there until 2024 and then hand over, maybe to Hammond. So she will be there longer than Major, Brown and Cameron but not as long as Thatcher and Blair

When was the last time that the successor as Prime Minister was the expected one? Brown?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Not a market I like. The long odds take a damned long time to collect, and the odds aren't worth it. The short odds are likelier but could take a decade to come in and the return is very low.

Better to take the (no longer available) 26 for Bottas to win the title this year (each way).
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    First *female* pm in second line of threader.

She won't.
  • Options

From the last thread :

HYUFD said:

Don't forget the Oxford University Russian spy ring that was hushed up.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/kgbs-oxford-spy-recruiter-unmasked/news-story/eab1d3dd134f2528b036dff98da1f4a3
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

First *female* pm in second line of threader.

She won't.

Well done for spotting my, ahem deliberate, mistake.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

When was the last time that the successor as Prime Minister was the expected one? Brown?
    Eden and Callaghan were not that unexpected and Major only got it after being made Chancellor
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

@nytpolitics CNN just contradicted you with this picture...looks like more people for Trump than you show? https://t.co/DemnUhiFch

Why does Trump even care about this? And why on earth does he care to the extent of lying about it? Just bizarre.

I agree with basically this analysis other than I don't think it is about laying down the law now, trump has been playing the lying media angle for 18 months. And what allows him to get away with it is the media lost any sense of balance and have spun every little thing as negatively about him to the extent that they have lied about him, which opens the door for people doubting the media...

it's kind like the daily mail and immigration stories here eg the adults as kids, set off a load of fake news on Twitter about was the daily mail photographing an interpreter (when it was Getty and one of the "child" migrants)...but people were willing to believe Twitter vs mail.

Exactly. The media, celebrities, etc, have only themselves to blame.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

PlatoSaid said:

They don't help themselves when they start saying stuff like blow up the white house. It just plays into Trumps hands.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    On topic. - In theory, couldn’t this bet take >10 years before pay out?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

First.

- Sean Spicer

• Options

Good afternoon, everyone.

Not a market I like. The long odds take a damned long time to collect, and the odds aren't worth it. The short odds are likelier but could take a decade to come in and the return is very low.

Better to take the (no longer available) 26 for Bottas to win the title this year (each way).

Those are not terrible odds - after all, Schumacher lost the championship in '99 through injury - but will Mercedes be so dominant next year ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Eden and Callaghan were not that unexpected and Major only got it after being made Chancellor
    True on Eden - the anointed successor indeed. Callaghan... yes.

Major was the quiet, dark horse candidate. I got 20-1 on him - it was back when I allowed myself to bet.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Every time Trump pretends he's a snowflake and "upset" over something, the reporters fall in glee over it and make fun of him. Meanwhile real scrutiny doesn't happen.

• Options

From the last thread :

HYUFD said:

Don't forget the Oxford University Russian spy ring that was hushed up.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/kgbs-oxford-spy-recruiter-unmasked/news-story/eab1d3dd134f2528b036dff98da1f4a3
    True - but they were far better spies than the Cambridge lot. :-)
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,971
    Scott_P said:

First.

- Sean Spicer

This could become a very tedious meme quite soon. Though I do quite like "Kelis' milkshake brought NO boys to the yard, period".
  • Options
    Mr. B, that is the question. Consensus at this early stage is, alas, yes.

Also, it's each way, so Bottas only needs to be top 3.
  • Options
    Never thought I'd be retweeting Bill Kristol approvingly; strange times.

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/823169825577037826
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Is also very clever as he appears to take the moral high ground as the tv is filled with luuvies having a temper tantrum and spouting nonsense.

Eventually the media and his opponents will learn, although they seem very slow on the uptake. Trump's Twitter game is very strong!
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

PlatoSaid said:

Every time Trump pretends he's a snowflake and "upset" over something, the reporters fall in glee over it and make fun of him. Meanwhile real scrutiny doesn't happen.

So are you saying this behaviour is a signal that there's something happening he wants to obscure? Seems like a fairly simple heads-up rule to twig for observers.

Good afternoon, everybody.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

They don't help themselves when they start saying stuff like blow up the white house. It just plays into Trumps hands.
    People keep on going on about Trump's devious media manipulation. To be honest his stuff reminds me of this :

Eric 'Otter' Stratton: Greg, look at my thumb.
    [Gregg looks at Otter's thumb. Otter punches Gregg in the face]
    Eric 'Otter' Stratton: Gee, you're dumb.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

True on Eden - the anointed successor indeed. Callaghan... yes.

Major was the quiet, dark horse candidate. I got 20-1 on him - it was back when I allowed myself to bet.
    Indeed a good bet then but now you would need to bet on someone replacing Hammond as Chancellor, until then Hammond is frontrunner
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I'd be more interested in the odds on her not seeing the year out.
  • Options

Well really it's Vaclav Havel you're quoting with approval - which is the only way of quoting him, of course.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Theresa May probably won't last that long because she won't want to. As well as her age and health, already mentioned, is that apart from being in charge (seductive, admittedly) there is precious little sign from her six years as Home Secretary or in various Shadow front bench posts that Theresa May believes in anything very much at all. So like David Cameron, she might simply resign when it starts to look a bit too much like hard work.
  • Options
    Gracious? Check.

Tolerant of opposing views? Check.

Reasonably clearly & elegantly expressed? Check

No spelling mistakes? Check.

Written by Trump? Hmm.
  • Options

Shadsy has it 5/2 that Mrs May is replaced as PM in 2017

https://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/betting/politics/british/specials/theresa-may-specials/222643274/
  • Options

Well really it's Vaclav Havel you're quoting with approval - which is the only way of quoting him, of course.
    I'd love to be rt-ing Vaclav but that option is unfortunately unavailable!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,748
    KNIFE IN THE HEART OF TSE, PTII
    ====================
    I am not locking money up for over 11 yrs to get 10/1, and 1/25 is too short for the alternative.
  • Options

Mr. B, that is the question. Consensus at this early stage is, alas, yes.

Also, it's each way, so Bottas only needs to be top 3.

Each way was excellent value - what are the current odds ?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

====================
    I am not locking money up for over 11 yrs to get 10/1, and 1/25 is too short for the alternative.

That's not a knife in the heart, because I've said both bets are unappealing so no bets for me.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    edited January 2017
    Probably events, dear girl, events. I have a suspicion we may see an uptick in events in the current environment.
  • Options
    Mr. B, given he got the seat, yes. I'm just irked I didn't also back him for the seat itself.

Bottas is currently 5. If the car is dominant, that's still value each way, but only just. Not interested myself, given how things currently stand.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    No bet. Mrs May will be at most a 2 term PM.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

https://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/betting/politics/british/specials/theresa-may-specials/222643274/
    That's not the bargain of the century either.
  • Options

That's not the bargain of the century either.
    Indeed.
  • Options

viewcode said:

====================

That's not a knife in the heart, because I've said both bets are unappealing so no bets for me.
    Wasn't it Spooner who wrote a note which at the bottom had a postscript saying "ignore this note"?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

====================

Wasn't it Spooner who wrote a note which at the bottom had a postscript saying "ignore this note"?
    My favorite is signs that say "Don't read this sign"
  • Options
    What a treat to see " The White House " written under charming Kellyann
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    there's spin then there's selling your soul to the devil.......
  • Options

I'd love to be rt-ing Vaclav but that option is unfortunately unavailable!

The powerlessness of truth against ignorance is the basis of my favorite Eddie Izzard sketch - Darth Vader at the Deathstar canteen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5iEK-IEzw
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    MTimT said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

====================

My favourite sign was at Blakeney on the North Norfolk coast. There was a collection box on a wall by the quay, with a sign saying "Please give generously to feed the wild birds".

They had to put a further sign on it saying "Please do not put bread in the above slot." :D
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    AnneJGP said:

Seems like a fairly simple heads-up rule to twig for observers.

Indeed. But how big are the headlines for the following news items, in comparison?

1. First step taken in dismantling Obamacare
    2. Son-in-law approved to take a key role in the Administration
    3. 7 year rule waived for General to serve as Secretary of Defense
    4. First two cabinet picks approved are both Generals
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,979
    BBC are now saying she’s ‘under pressure’ over the missile malfunction.

As someone upthread said, Events, dear girl, events!

Highly unlikely to be fatal of course, unless someone can show she misled the HoC. Actually that should probably be 'seriously misled'.
  • Options

An American tweets

Is he talking about the Brexit vote?
  • Options

An American tweets

https://twitter.com/fordm/status/823169418767241216
  • Options

An American tweets

Trident misfire
    'Twas a joke. :)
  • Options

An American tweets

If the sub was off florida and it was apparently aiming in the general direction of the Canaries that’s fairly severely off course!
  • Options
    BudG said:

MTimT said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

====================

My favourite sign was at Blakeney on the North Norfolk coast. There was a collection box on a wall by the quay, with a sign saying "Please give generously to feed the wild birds".

They had to put a further sign on it saying "Please do not put bread in the above slot." :D
    Very good. My favorite explanation of vote at the UN was when the Canadians were due to not participate (a step further than abstaining) on a roll-call vote, where all the West refused to participate while in the room, to make a point. However, the Canadian chair was empty when their name was called. So later they had to explain "Due to circumstances beyond our control, we were not here when the vote was called, but if we had been, we would not have participated in the vote."
  • Options
    Trident issues could have implications within Labour too. Brings the issue into the spotlight again, so can't bury it. And a big shot in the arm for the abolitionists. Harder to get them to keep their traps shut.

Not good news for May either, but I wonder how much will ultimately come out about all this.
  • Options

An American tweets

If the sub was off florida and it was apparently aiming in the general direction of the Canaries that’s fairly severely off course!

The US is huge. Would they mind losing Florida?

• Options

An American tweets

No no no...The US is not huge, its yyyyyyyuge....
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010

An American tweets

Am I the only person who thinks this is utterly risible? The first thing you do when a weapons system doesn't work is not to make a song and dance about it and tell the enemy. You keep quiet about it and fix the problem.
  • Options

An American tweets

Was this missile heading anywhere in the vicinity of Mar-a-lago?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    A spoof, but this guy makes a lot of pertinent points (again)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RMwjaZouNY
  • Options

I do love Jon Pye. He has a brilliant way of expressing home truths about all sides of the argument.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Trident issues could have implications within Labour too. Brings the issue into the spotlight again, so can't bury it. And a big shot in the arm for the abolitionists. Harder to get them to keep their traps shut.

Not good news for May either, but I wonder how much will ultimately come out about all this.

All complex weapons systems have to undergo regular testing. There will occasionally be bugs which need sorting. It appears that the sub and the crew were certified as having passed the test. Perhaps the US designed missile had the bug. Nothing will come of this non story.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    nunu said:

there's spin then there's selling your soul to the devil.......
    Conway is a true believer, look at her list of former clients.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

I do love Jon Pye. He has a brilliant way of expressing home truths about all sides of the argument.
    I am surprised he hasn't been picked up by a tv network / show to do weekly 5 mins rants with this character.
  • Options

Painfully unfunny and tired. Crap.
  • Options
    perdix said:

All complex weapons systems have to undergo regular testing. There will occasionally be bugs which need sorting. It appears that the sub and the crew were certified as having passed the test. Perhaps the US designed missile had the bug. Nothing will come of this non story.

From the last thread....

At the risk of introducing facts.. as far as I can tell, since the beginning of the TRident II program, there have been 157 successful flight tests and 6 failures (including partial successes).

The classic method for estimating the maximum probability of failure is a very simple equation :

failures / total flights

See https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20120013705.pdf

which gives us :

6/163 = 0.0368 = 3.6% maximum chance of failure.

This is considered a harsh maximum estimate, since most of the failures occurred in the early days of the program - which then conformed to the classic "bathtub" curve of early failures followed by massive increase in reliability.

This enables us to say that Trident II is reliable at delivering it's warheads to target as a *lower bound* (i.e. it is almost certainly better than this) of 96.3%

Which in historical terms makes it one of the most reliable weapons in human history....
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932
    FPT, Cheers to MBE, GIN and Simon for your good wishes. I do indeed have a little left Simon but very depleted now.
  • Options

perdix said:

From the last thread....

At the risk of introducing facts.. as far as I can tell, since the beginning of the TRident II program, there have been 157 successful flight tests and 6 failures (including partial successes).

The classic method for estimating the maximum probability of failure is a very simple equation :

failures / total flights

See https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20120013705.pdf

which gives us :

6/163 = 0.0368 = 3.6% maximum chance of failure.

This is considered a harsh maximum estimate, since most of the failures occurred in the early days of the program - which then conformed to the classic "bathtub" curve of early failures followed by massive increase in reliability.

This enables us to say that Trident II is reliable at delivering it's warheads to target as a *lower bound* (i.e. it is almost certainly better than this) of 96.3%

Which in historical terms makes it one of the most reliable weapons in human history....
    Haven't you heard we are now in the post-truth / post-fact era....
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

FPT, Cheers to MBE, GIN and Simon for your good wishes. I do indeed have a little left Simon but very depleted now.

Please can I add my good wishes.
  • Options
    Mr. G, happy birthday :)
  • Options
    Thanks OKC and MD
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Oho! It's your birthday. Have a happy one and good luck for the year ahead.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

An American tweets

Am I the only person who thinks this is utterly risible? The first thing you do when a weapons system doesn't work is not to make a song and dance about it and tell the enemy. You keep quiet about it and fix the problem.
    It's not the first missile test to go wrong, or indeed the first Trident test to do so. It's almost as though they are firing these things for a reason rather than for the hell of it.
  • Options

Highly unlikely to be fatal of course, unless someone can show she misled the HoC. Actually that should probably be 'seriously misled'.

This is utter rubbish! Missiles, especially test models, frequently misfire and go off course, thats why they are unarmed. So far people are keeping mum if this was an old or new version of Trident.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    It's frequently claimed they can't be used without the knowledge of the US, so someone somewhere in the US must have known.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

I am surprised he hasn't been picked up by a tv network / show to do weekly 5 mins rants with this character.
    He was - by Russia Today! Which I think has somewhat undermined his reputation. But I agree, he's a verbally dextrous, originally talent - who should now be given an opportunity by BBC2 or Channel 4.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    malcolmg said:

Happy Birthday Malcolm

https://twitter.com/cara_hilton/status/823104415187996672
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Ois Guade zu Deim Geburdstog!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,417
    perdix said:

Perhaps they have a homing beacon so that if we get any silly ideas they disarm and swim safely back to hq.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

It's frequently claimed they can't be used without the knowledge of the US, so someone somewhere in the US must have known.
    Knowledge is certainly true, the US spends a lot of money to detect missile launches. That's an entirely different matter from requiring US authority, which is claimed sometimes but almost certainly false.
  • Options
    Incidentally, Homeland's latest series airs tonight at 9pm (Channel 4). Annoyingly, Agents of Shield starts next week, also at 9pm (E4). Boo and also hiss to such things.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,715

Painfully unfunny and tired. Crap.
    But he did make some good points.
    Why has Trump such a thin skin, why does he lie when it's obvious he's lying?
  • Options
    glw said:

AnneJGP said:

Knowledge is certainly true, the US spends a lot of money to detect missile launches. That's an entirely different matter from requiring US authority, which is claimed sometimes but almost certainly false.

Presumably they would have warned the US, Russia, and China. Wouldn't want to have started WW3 by mistake.

We have Donald Trump for that.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,073
    edited January 2017

An American tweets

It would probably have helped if the MoD hadn't been in the habit of releasing little propaganda puff videos after previous successful firings but unaccountably forgot to this time; this might have provided even the crappiest intelligence services with a lightbulb moment. Still, the MoD have said 'We have absolute confidence in our independent nuclear deterrent' which will reassure everyone.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

This is utter rubbish! Missiles, especially test models, frequently misfire and go off course, thats why they are unarmed. So far people are keeping mum if this was an old or new version of Trident.
    Of course they do. But keeping quiet once it’s out in the open is adding to the problem. As I said, highly unlikely to be fatal, but now, and unnecessarily, embarrassing.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

malcolmg said:

Oho! It's your birthday. Have a happy one and good luck for the year ahead.
    cheers Mike
  • Options

Still, the MOD have said 'We have absolute confidence in our independent nuclear deterrent' which will reassure everyone.

It's so independent it's got a mind of its own.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    MTimT said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

====================

There was a "Please don't throw stones at this sign".
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Ois Guade zu Deim Geburdstog!
    vielen dank
  • Options

Presumably they would have warned the US, Russia, and China. Wouldn't want to have started WW3 by mistake.

For sure, and the US was likely doing a lot of the heavy lifting in the testing anyway as they have the kit.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

Happy Birthday Malcolm

https://twitter.com/cara_hilton/status/823104415187996672
    Cheers Scott.

I have not even applied for mine yet and unlikely to do so as I hardly ever use one and my wife will not use at all. On the few occasions I do use on I am usually about the only person paying.
    65 is well early enough to be getting free travel and in fact at worst it should be linked to state pension.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

...Happy Birthday Malcolm

Happy Bday, Malc!

• Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited January 2017
    I don't see May lasting beyond 2025. I think she will be forced out even if she wins a majority in a general election by somebody more charismatic.

I have wondered about an early general election, I think spring 2019 is the likely date. My reasoning is several important factors come into play. First of all the boundary changes should have been implemented. Secondly and most importantly A50 will be running up toward it's expiry. Thirdly, austerity should give way to a more generous budget / giveaway, which means social security claimants/ public sector employees and the like experience growth in their income. Indeed I do wonder if the Tories have stalled on Brexit and A50 so they can get a mandate at the end of the two years after A50 has been triggered for the above reasons.

This discussion has been closed.