Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP’s leader, Doc Nuttall, no longer odds-on favourite to tak

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited January 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP’s leader, Doc Nuttall, no longer odds-on favourite to take Stoke Central

There’s been a change in the Stoke central by-election betting with renewed interest in LAB and the move to Paul Nuttall, the UKIP leader, easing off.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited January 2017
    first like Labour in Stoke and Copeland!
  • Options
    second best like liverpool...
  • Options
    A winged helmet.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/825330062547415040

Donald must drink Red Bull.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    edited January 2017
    Well they are odds on with every bookmaker, but on Betfair it is now 2.06 UKIP, and the money has come back for Labour

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/stoke-on-trent-central-by-election/winning-party

As I keep saying, a great betting heat. The range of prices traded on each party is quite extraordinary
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Do Labour supporters want Labour to lose to hasten Corbyn's departure or is the horror of Doc Nuttall MP. too awful?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good afternoon, everyone.

I still think Nuttall is too short.
  • Options

Good afternoon, everyone.

I still think Nuttall is too short.

Not as short as Putin or Sadiq, Mr Dancer?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,123

How are they 2-0 down on 80% possession???
  • Options
    Roger said:

Do Labour supporters want Labour to lose to hasten Corbyn's departure or is the horror of Doc Nuttall MP. too awful?

Labour supporters may well be keen to get Corbyn to move on, but not at the price of losing the seat.

Snell tweeted:

https://twitter.com/gareth_snell/status/825298803074940928

It doesn't look like a room ful of Islingtonites.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Roger said:

I think losing Copeland to the tories would be a better rebuttal of Corbyn. I'm hoping they hang on in Stoke (or a miraculous LD win!) and lose Copeland. Having Nuttall in parliament will give much needed oxygen to UKIP, which Labour definitely don't want.
  • Options
    Dr. Prasannan, or Ecclestone. But you know what I mean.
  • Options
    LD's crack in-form by-election team's hit a brick wall in the Potteries. Back to irrelevance.
  • Options

Going 1-0 down in the first minute a lot to do with that
  • Options

That 80% of possession has so far resulted in two shots on target - the same as Wolves have achieved with a quarter of Liverpool's possession.

Its not what you've got that matters but what you do with it.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,394
    Roger said:

Perhaps you could try basing your opinion on the candidate - which one would you like in Parliament?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
  • Options
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    dr_spyn said:
    To be authentically Trumpish Corybn needs to tweet about "Failing PA. Sad."
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited January 2017
    :lol:

No Prisoners Saint
    In case anyone missed it, Trump bought the domain Pussyhat https://t.co/ThbcEH5bly and redirected to the White House. #Classic
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    PlatoSaid said:

No Prisoners Saint
    In case anyone missed it, Trump bought the domain Pussyhat https://t.co/ThbcEH5bly and redirected to the White House. #Classic

https://twitter.com/benjancewicz/status/825158753414680576
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    An army of trolls is taking Fillon down. This Buzzfeed article is informative. They refer to the "Great Liberation of France", which is hosted on Discord, the alt-right chat platform. They favour politicians who in their terminology will "remove kebab". They don't use that phrase much in public, not the way they do with "cuck" or, in the US, "you're fired". What's going on is horribly unpleasant, in France as in the US. The line in this scene is that Russian-backed far-right politicians should get a big troll support effort.

Soon they will target Macron. It wouldn't surprise me if he was videoed at some of the restaurants. Whatever's needed. He'll go into the vote wounded, same as Clinton.

Russia Today are saying Fillon is being targeted because he is "Russophile". Yeah, right.

There are two big troll armies in this world. At the moment they seem to be cooperating.
  • Options
    glw said:

dr_spyn said:
    He would have been happier talking to Press TV.
  • Options

first like Labour in Stoke and Copeland!

Only if they pull their sox up.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Dromedary said:

An army of trolls is taking Fillon down. This Buzzfeed article is informative. They refer to the "Great Liberation of France", which is hosted on Discord, the alt-right chat platform. They favour politicians who in their terminology will "remove kebab". They don't use that phrase much in public, not the way they do with "cuck" or, in the US, "you're fired". What's going on is horribly unpleasant, in France as in the US. The line in this scene is that Russian-backed far-right politicians should get a big troll support effort.

Soon they will target Macron. It wouldn't surprise me if he was videoed at some of the restaurants. Whatever's needed. He'll go into the vote wounded, same as Clinton.

Russia Today are saying Fillon is being targeted because he is "Russophile". Yeah, right.

There are two big troll armies in this world. At the moment they seem to be cooperating.

Bizarre. 'Remove kebab' is Europa Universalis (that's a Paradox grand strategy videogame for the non-hepcats among us) slang for defeating the Ottomans.

Point of order though, Discord is incredibly popular in the gaming world, particularly the streaming community. It isn't inherently left or right wing. It's just better than Skype or Teamspeak etc for multi-cast voice & chat.
  • Options
    glw said:

dr_spyn said:
    Declined to speak? #AlternativeFacts
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

No Prisoners Saint

How do you know it was Trump who bought it? The owner's name is not public. The proxy registrant is Whois Privacy Services, based in Australia.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,294
    I find it quite bizarre that UKIP were ever favourites for this seat. I expect a pretty comfortable Labour hold on a very low turnout.
  • Options
    @LukwesaBurak: BREAKING: UK's BAE Systems signs deal with Turkey's national aerospace firm to develop new generation of Turkish fighter jets. @BBCNews
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I find it quite bizarre that UKIP were ever favourites for this seat. I expect a pretty comfortable Labour hold on a very low turnout.

Have you seen Labour's candidate, Snell ? Unprepossessing and uninspiring even by their dismal standards.
  • Options
    For those of you who follow horses.

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/825353101381136384
  • Options

DavidL said:

Have you seen Labour's candidate, Snell ? Unprepossessing and uninspiring even by their dismal standards.
    He is a complete twat, based on his Twitter history (the 21st century window into a man's soul). Labour testing the 'donkey with a red rosette' theory to destruction, apparently.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    DavidL said:

I'd expect turnout to be better than 'very low', even accepting the Stoke Central baseline. I'd be surprised if it's not in the 30s. On that basis, Labour should hold. If it is sub-25, UKIP will stand a good chance. Mike's point is right though: UKIP are not very good at election campaigning and are short of important data which will matter.

DavidL is quite right that it's bizarre that UKIP were ever favourites given these drags on their vote share and where they're starting from. Personally, I reckon they should be nearer 2/1.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I'd expect turnout to be better than 'very low', even accepting the Stoke Central baseline. I'd be surprised if it's not in the 30s. On that basis, Labour should hold. If it is sub-25, UKIP will stand a good chance. Mike's point is right though: UKIP are not very good at election campaigning and are short of important data which will matter.

DavidL is quite right that it's bizarre that UKIP were ever favourites given these drags on their vote share and where they're starting from. Personally, I reckon they should be nearer 2/1.
    Oh yes, I was not suggesting anything lower than 30%. In the 30s is very low for a Parliamentary vote.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Scott_P said:

@LukwesaBurak: BREAKING: UK's BAE Systems signs deal with Turkey's national aerospace firm to develop new generation of Turkish fighter jets. @BBCNews

They will be used to bomb Kurds in Syria?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Doesn't matter. This is donkey territory and he just about makes the grade for that.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Scott_P said:

Post-Brexit trade mission not going well then...
  • Options
    interesting front page in Whitehaven:

Local news for Local people.

https://twitter.com/kmxnsxn/status/821845810962898944
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,997
    Scott_P said:

I wonder if it's just a reannouncement of the following, or if we've gone deeper / it's something else:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TAI_TFX
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Doesn't matter. This is donkey territory and he just about makes the grade for that.
    Stoke voters will enjoy much " Capital of Brexit " glamour with Nuttall. Snell radiates inertia.
  • Options

On behalf of the Copeland Labour party.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Stoke voters will enjoy much " Capital of Brexit " glamour with Nuttall. Snell radiates inertia.
    Nuttall will lose, and still be unable to find Stoke on the map, let alone make it the capital of anything other than pottery.
  • Options
    John_M said:

DavidL said:

He is a complete twat, based on his Twitter history (the 21st century window into a man's soul). Labour testing the 'donkey with a red rosette' theory to destruction, apparently.
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

LOL.
  • Options
    Trump is doing a sterling job, keeping all the mass murdering, Google employed Muslims out of the US. Now he just needs to kick out all the toddlers who pick up their parent's guns and shoot people.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Scott_P said:

They will be used to bomb Kurds in Syria?
    Have you ever dealt with BAE? By the time they've developed anything, we'll all be living on Mars.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    John_M said:

DavidL said:

They will crack but not break said theory, with Nuttall a close-ish second.

If UKIP were able to mount a decent ground campaign they could win this, but they can't so they won't.
  • Options
    nunu said:

On behalf of the Copeland Labour party.
    It will be on a lot of doorsteps though, and not straight in the bin like political leaflets.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

John_M said:

DavidL said:

They will crack but not break said theory, with Nuttall a close-ish second.

If UKIP were able to mount a decent ground campaign they could win this, but they can't so they won't.
    Tories in Second, UKIP going backwards.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

To be fair, if this is just the existing program then it's not that much trade. Now, if she'd managed to persuade them to buy some of our Tranche-1 Eurofighters ... ;)
  • Options

Is this one of those trade deals the Brexiteers told us we were prevented from signing as a member of the EU?

Oh, wait...
  • Options
    Interesting discussion on WC people in the previous thread. So I wonder if PBers see WWC people who feel that immigration is the reason why their wages are stagnating as 'blaming society for their own failures'? Or are only certain groups of WC worthy of a hearing, while others don't deserve one?
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Nuttall will lose, and still be unable to find Stoke on the map, let alone make it the capital of anything other than pottery.
    Your prognosistic faculties are emotively deranged. Nuttall to take the Capital of Brexit handily.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,289
    edited January 2017

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Your prognosistic faculties are emotively deranged. Nuttall to take the Capital of Brexit handily.
    Boston is capital of Brexit = 76% LEAVE!

Stoke managed a measly 69% :lol:

#AlternativeFacts
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

#AlternativeFacts
    Hanretty estimates Stoke Central as 65% leave. It is the Capital of Brexit in the same way Luton is the capital of England.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Euratom participation by long-term EU member Switzerland?
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

#AlternativeFacts
    Boston was the Geoff Hurst but Stoke the Bobby Moore. Our Captain and Capital.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Scott_P said:
    Isn't ITER an example of a program that we would likely continue working on/contributing to? I think the reason for the Euratom pull out is due to the link with the ECJ.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Scott_P said:

Is this one of those trade deals the Brexiteers told us we were prevented from signing as a member of the EU?

Oh, wait...
    Did I hit a nreve..! :lol:
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    As the US dictator issues a decree banning entry to the US by people coming from Syria or Iraq, and by refugees wherever they come from, here's a reminder that before he took office he promised to

● "bomb the shit" out of areas of Syria and Iraq
    ● "blow up every single inch"
    ● arrange a big contract there for Exxon
    ● take the oil, and
    ● "ring" the region.

Such a horrific attack would cause many, many more people to become refugees in the region than already are.

What does it mean to "ring" somewhere? What happens to people inside the ring? It doesn't sound as though the plan is to let them out. Will the "kebab" be "removed"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWejiXvd-P8

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited January 2017

Scott_P said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-fddd9rQjY

Brexit MEANS BREXIT Sunil.

The country voted to leave, and all that other EU nonsense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezib57ztua8

"Sounds like a UKIP conference speech !"

Not half cocked leavers like Switzerland or Norway. PROPER LEAVING FOR PROPER PEOPLE !
  • Options

Interesting discussion on WC people in the previous thread. So I wonder if PBers see WWC people who feel that immigration is the reason why their wages are stagnating as 'blaming society for their own failures'? Or are only certain groups of WC worthy of a hearing, while others don't deserve one?

It's human nature to blame others for our own shortcomings, real or imagined. It's a long time since I lived cheek by jowl with genuinely poor people (Beeston, Leeds in the middle/late 80s), so I can't claim any recent insight.

This is platitudinous, but of course we should give everyone a hearing. There's no happy ending if we just gesture at a tranche of society, tell them to 'git gud' , give them a pittance in welfare and call it job done.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited January 2017
    Scott_P said:

Oh, wait...
    I guess the EU will have to expel us now we're ignoring their diktats.
    Oh wait.....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

Not half cocked leavers like Switzerland or Norway. PROPER LEAVING FOR PROPER PEOPLE !
    No, it's PROPER Brexit for PROPER People!

Switzerland is an ASSOCIATED member of Euratom, BTW!!!
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited January 2017
    On the Stoke betting, I've been keeping the field onside until now by laying @ 99.x% book, rather than backing.

If one of the more popular city independents had thrown their hat into the ring - or Denise Coates put her name forward - then the betting could have been really shaken up.

A bit late now, I think.

When is the last date for names to get on the ballot?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

How does that ‘association’ work and will the other members want another ‘associate'?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    Brexit capital or no, if UKIP can't win in Stoke with their leader standing, they won't win any Labour seats. Their much publicised Northern breakthrough will last as long as Jurgen Klopp's wonder side. Will have to go back to pestering Tories on the East coast.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I disagree, and think the 8/1 that Ladbrokes have on UKIP below 20% is good value.
  • Options
    Dr. Foxinsox, I agree UKIP are unlikely to win. Not sure they'll be below 20% but in a four way contest that's definitely possible. Hmm.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Oh, wait...
    I guess the EU will have to expel us now we're ignoring their diktats.
    Oh wait.....
    Scott's struggling to discern the difference between day to day commerce and FTAs. Probably just a bit tired.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

How does that ‘association’ work and will the other members want another ‘associate'?
    I think this is a case of DYOR.
  • Options
    Blimey... are we the new Liverpool?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Our host does well to avoid the phrase "ground game".

I'm betting against UKIP until they start showing they can win seats through by-elections. Their track record is dismal.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Brexit capital or no, if UKIP can't win in Stoke with their leader standing, they won't win any Labour seats. Their much publicised Northern breakthrough will last as long as Jurgen Klopp's wonder side. Will have to go back to pestering Tories on the East coast.

Yep, this is their Gettysburg. Weak local candidate vs party leader. Strong Leave vote. Labour leader madder by the day. If they can't win Stoke, we can stick a fork in 'em and call it done.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

You never know, Mr M; surprising what can be found out by asking here!
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    John_M said:

dixiedean said:

Yep, this is their Gettysburg. Weak local candidate vs party leader. Strong Leave vote. Labour leader madder by the day. If they can't win Stoke, we can stick a fork in 'em and call it done.
    Probably true.

In recent by elections, the only ones UKIP had a hope of winning were Clacton and Rochester, which they won. No others were winnable (H&M was a massive surprise 2nd). Sure, UKIP haters tried to make it seem like all their 2nds were failures, but that was partisan nonsense.

This one, though is winnable and would be a failure if they lost.

Everyone on this site said Reckless would lose the Rochester By Election though, and a few cast doubt on Carswell in Clacton! Par for the course, so don't pay too much attention.
  • Options
    isam said:

John_M said:

dixiedean said:

Probably true.

In recent by elections the only ones UKIP had a hope of winning were Clacton and Rochester. No others were winnable. Sure, UKIP haters tried to make it seem like all their 2nds were failures, but that was partisan nonsense.

Everyone on this site said Reckless would lose the Rochester By Election though, and a few cast doubt on Carswell in Clacton! Par for the course
    Heywood and Middleton? Sure it was a surprise they came so close, but it was certainly "winnable."
  • Options
    edited January 2017

John_M said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

I apologise, that came across as a bit shirty. Please forgive my testiness!

As a mild penance, I can testify that this whole field is littered with alphabetti-spaghetti agencies, and a web of bilateral and multilateral agreements, both regional and global. That doesn't provide you with an answer, but I can at least point you at:

http://ec.europa.eu/research/energy/euratom/index_en.cfm?pg=coop
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,771
    edited January 2017

More like A Local Brexit for Local People: there's nothing for you here, young Dr Sunil...

Anyhoo, I came here because of our previous discussion regarding the orientation of Serbia: I argued that Serbia was historically allied with Russia, you pointed to Serbia's EU bid.

I was reading Jane's Defense Weekly and noted this article: http://www.janes.com/article/66503/russia-to-donate-mig-29s-t-72s-to-serbia

The disadvantage of Brexit. Pause. One of the disadvantages of Brexit. Pause. One of the many disadvantages of Brexit. Pause. One of the ginormous disadvantage clusterfuck that is Brexit...is that while we're crawling up our own bottom trying to disentangle ourselves from the EU, we have no resources left over to do anything useful. One of those useful things is keeping an eye on the Balkans...
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    dixiedean said:

isam said:

John_M said:

dixiedean said:

Probably true.

In recent by elections the only ones UKIP had a hope of winning were Clacton and Rochester. No others were winnable. Sure, UKIP haters tried to make it seem like all their 2nds were failures, but that was partisan nonsense.

Everyone on this site said Reckless would lose the Rochester By Election though, and a few cast doubt on Carswell in Clacton! Par for the course
    Heywood and Middleton? Sure it was a surprise they came so close, but it was certainly "winnable."
    I edited to include that! It was winnable in hindsight I guess, but they were massive outsiders by polling day, about 14/1 I think. Labour went 1.02 on Betfair by the night

Also they did very little campaigning, so yeah fair do's it was winnable
  • Options
    isam said:

dixiedean said:

isam said:

John_M said:

dixiedean said:

Probably true.

I edited to include that! It was winnable in hindsight I guess, but they were massive outsiders by polling day, about 14/1 I think. Labour went 1.02 on Betfair by the night

Apologies! Didn't spot that!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

I think they clean the lab coats.
  • Options
    Mr. Isam, there's been a huge change since those by-elections, though.

I've put a small sum on Dr. Foxinsox's suggestion that UKIP will get under 20%. I don't think they will, but I do think 9 is too long, in a potentially close four way contest.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited January 2017
    So it seems that Trump's visa ban includes green cards for citizens from the "Axis of Islam". People who may have lawfully lived in the US for decades and who happened to be on holiday this week are being barred from re-entering.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Do we know Lab have canvassing data? They complained during the referendum of no real party presence in safe seats...
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

isam said:

dixiedean said:

isam said:

John_M said:

dixiedean said:

Probably true.

Apologies! Didn't spot that!
    No, my fault, I edited late.

What UKIP could do with is finding out what Gareth Snell was tweeting during the referendum campaign. I have found old tweets of him slagging UKIP off, inc calling Nuttall "Eddie Hitler", but he has deleted everything pre July.

He is obviously a loudmouth on social media, I'd have it odds on he made disparaging comments about Leavers
  • Options

So it seems that Trump's visa ban includes green cards for citizens from the "Axis of Islam". People who may have lawfully lived in the US for decades and who happened to be on holiday this week are being barred from re-entering.

If memory serves, that happened to Charlie Chaplin. Although surprisingly I have not a lot of sympathy here. If you intend to live in a country long-term and don't take out at least dual citizenship, you do lay yourself open to this sort of thing.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited January 2017
    viewcode said:

If memory serves, that happened to Charlie Chaplin. Although surprisingly I have not a lot of sympathy here. If you intend to live in a country long-term and don't take out at least dual citizenship, you do lay yourself open to this sort of thing.
    Seriously? Having been deemed worthy of permanent residence it's outrageous to suddennly be stranded abroad because the rules have changed.

In any case, many countries don't allow dual citizenship, e.g. Germany, India, China.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Mr. Fire, are Germany/China one?

I met a chap in China who was a dual citizen (Chinese-German), which enabled him to get around the one child policy. Well, that was my understanding.

Edited extra bit: should stress this was some time ago.
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

As a mild penance, I can testify that this whole field is littered with alphabetti-spaghetti agencies, and a web of bilateral and multilateral agreements, both regional and global. That doesn't provide you with an answer, but I can at least point you at:

Not a problem, Mr M. Thanks for the info.
    Have done a bit of looking and it very much looks as though we’ll have to leave, because we’re leaving the EU, and rejoin as associates on Brexit+1. Anything else would be utterly stupid, and would handicap all sorts of activities not least medicine.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Seriously? Having been deemed worthy of permanent residence it's outrageous to suddennly be stranded abroad because the rules have changed.

In any case, many countries don't allow dual citizenship, e.g. Germany, India, China.
    I'm waiting for clarity as to whether this is HS enforcing the XO, or the airlines over-reacting on the precautionary principle.
  • Options
    King Cole, assuming we leave (not guaranteed), it'll be interesting to see whether the EU reforms certain institutions/procedures to stop silly bureaucratic problems in case anyone else goes.
  • Options

Mr. Isam, there's been a huge change since those by-elections, though.

I've put a small sum on Dr. Foxinsox's suggestion that UKIP will get under 20%. I don't think they will, but I do think 9 is too long, in a potentially close four way contest.

I think a lot of Leavers will be happy with May, and go Tory or not turn out, while Labour voters will vote Labour on other issues and for a local guy. UKIP are at risk of a squeeze.
  • Options

John_M said:

John_M said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

Not a problem, Mr M. Thanks for the info.
    Have done a bit of looking and it very much looks as though we’ll have to leave, because we’re leaving the EU, and rejoin as associates on Brexit+1. Anything else would be utterly stupid, and would handicap all sorts of activities not least medicine.
    The EU retconned EUratom into the Lisbon treaty in 2008. Don't know why (and not particularly motivated to do the digging, in truth!).

I do agree your point. While everyone is screechingly distracted by the great white whale of Single Market membership, I think the meat and potatoes of our talks are going to be on which European programs we retain membership of, under what terms, and at what cost.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    She's MP for Lewisham East. Lewisham voted 70:30 to Remain, and the Lib Dems were her main challengers in 2010. Thus, her decision is hardly a surprise.
  • Options
    Dr. Foxinsox, I largely agree, although low turnout could be an issue.

As I said, I think it's odds against, but it seems odd to me UKIP are shorter (6 against 9) to get 41-50% of the vote than under 20% in what could be a tight four-way result.
  • Options

King Cole, assuming we leave (not guaranteed), it'll be interesting to see whether the EU reforms certain institutions/procedures to stop silly bureaucratic problems in case anyone else goes.

Why do you conclude they're 'silly bureaucratic problems' ?
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, by that, I'm referring to the apparent necessity of us leaving this Euratom thingummyjig only to rejoin it immediately as an associate.
This discussion has been closed.