Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As the world waits for news from the Palace the return of M

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited July 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As the world waits for news from the Palace the return of Marf

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress
with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited July 2013
    First in line on this thread
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited July 2013
    Very nice Marf, but would that shockingly bare bit of Royal leg pass the NannyCam test? ;)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    Good evening, PB monarchists!

Nice cartoon, Marf!
  • Options
    Gerry_ManderGerry_Mander Posts: 621
    I only hope Kate doesn't have to endure 13 years of Labour, otherwise she will be wrecked
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Am I alone in thinking the press has over estimated the enthusiasm of her majesty's loyal subjects for the new Royal baby?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    taffys said:

Am I alone in thinking the press has over estimated the enthusiasm of her majesty's loyal subjects for the new Royal baby?

Well the got the Silver/Golden jubilees totally wrong, so perhaps they are making up for it by swinging too much in the other direction ;)
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    It's very thoughtful of the Royal couple to plan the birth for the silly season.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    taffys said:

About a year ago we were getting minute-by-minute updates on Julian Assange's movements within the Ecuadorian embassy. 24 hour news channels have to fill airtime somehow!

• Options
    My guardian monarchy blocker doesnt seem to work on my TV or radio or indeed other internet sites. I am outraged!
  • Options
    FPT @antifrank said :

Unsuccessful royal heirs? George I was 81st in line to the throne when he became king, so there were a few there.

Princess Charlotte of Wales was the only daughter of George IV, but died before he came to the throne.

The other 80 were excluded by the Act of Succession so do not count and Princess Charlotte was only ever second in line heir presumptive.

Clue to jog us along :

Of the four first in line heirs presumptives not to succeed two are connected as one was supplanted by the other who was then themself supplanted very shortly afterwards.
  • Options
    Marf, love the cartoon.
  • Options
    GerryMander

LOL!
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Neil said:

My guardian monarchy blocker doesnt seem to work on my TV or radio or indeed other internet sites. I am outraged!

Away with you, fenian bogtrotter with the voice of Dana and the lips of Cowen.
  • Options
    Re: History. Henry VIIth was descended from a bar steward. His ancestor later legitamised the marriage. Otherwise the Tudors would not have reigned.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    LOL - Love the little detail of the newspaper..
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    taffys said:

The tabloids will never go poor splashing on celeb babies, royals and gossip.

They've had their 'collectors edition' pullout sections ready to print for days and they're going to go hard on them while they can because after the initial frenzy dies down they will be getting a few officially sanctioned photos and info and nothing else.
  • Options
    @JackW William, succeeded by Henry the Young King (both sons of Henry II and older brothers of Richard I).
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Neil said:

Away with you, fenian bogtrotter with the voice of Dana and the lips of Cowen.
    Voice of Dana and lips of Cowen may be right - but with the devious and cunning mind of Charles J. Haughey I can overcome all my physical disadvantages!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,674
    Neil said:

taffys said:

About a year ago we were getting minute-by-minute updates on Julian Assange's movements within the Ecuadorian embassy. 24 hour news channels have to fill airtime somehow!
    Benedict Cumberbatch appears to capture Assange's messianic certainty if this trailer for 'The Fifth Estate' is representative:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/video/2013/jul/17/fifth-estate-trailer-benedict-cumberbatch-julian-assange-wikileaks
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    RobD said:

taffys said:

Well the got the Silver/Golden jubilees totally wrong, so perhaps they are making up for it by swinging too much in the other direction ;)
    Am in the US and the coverage is jaw-droppingly enthusiastic. They are bubbling over with excitement (watching NBC's Today).

Going out for a walk because I can't take it anymore. It's a baby.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited July 2013
    Has Tim taught his kids to switch the lights off in the West Wing yet...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    JackW said:

Of the four first in line heirs presumptives not to succeed two are connected as one was supplanted by the other who was then themself supplanted very shortly afterwards.

Princes in the Tower?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Oh for God's sake! Labour can take anything from 2 hours to 2 days. All this hoo-ha over the birth of a baby and the poor mother's labour is ridiculous. Kate would have been best advised to stay at home and sit in a hot bath until the last possible moment. But now that it's started (apparently) I hope - for her sake - it goes well and speedily.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

@JackW William, succeeded by Henry the Young King (both sons of Henry II and older brothers of Richard I).

Well done. I missed both of them.

I think William died in infancy and young Henry was a bit of a rebel.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Oh dear. More polling bad news

Sun Politics @Sun_Politics
    Bad news for @Ed_Miliband in the latest @YouGov poll for @Sun_Politics...full details later...
  • Options
    Charles said:

JackW said:

Princes in the Tower?
    No Charles old chap. Edward V did succeed and it's difficult to know if his younger brother predeceased him as heir presumptive or not.

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 2m
    Bad news for @Ed_Miliband in the latest @YouGov poll for @Sun_Politics...full details later...
  • Options
    Ed's B I G S T A T E M E N T

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/07/miliband-announces-special-conference-approve-labour-trade-union-reforms

"A One Nation Labour Party for all the people of Britain, not just a few at the top. We’re going to build a new way of doing politics. We want to open up our policy-making, clean up the lobbying industry and take the big money out of politics. And we want to let people back in. So I want all Labour party members, supporters, trade union members involved in this dialogue, leading up the Special Conference this spring to agree change."
  • Options
    edited July 2013

A One Nation Labour Party

So despite rumours to the contrary he's still going on about that then.
  • Options
    FPT @mick_pork
    It's being strongly hinted on R4 that the NannyCam posturing on the internet could encompass violence and gambling as well in it's net.

It happens already. Vodafone adult content filter blocks you from checking what the lottery numbers were. PB is a definite no-no.
  • Options
    Nick Witchell losing it 'at 7.30 she was in the early stages of pregnancy....'
  • Options

Nick Witchell losing it 'at 7.30 she was in the early stages of pregnancy....'

Kay Burley is apparently on 9.5hrs of broadcasting twaddle - whatever one thinks of her, she's a trooper.
  • Options

So what do we think? For fun. I'll go for a Lab lead of 2.
  • Options
    @CarlottaVance:

I loved this bit:

All of our country’s history shows that change does not come just from a few people at the top. Change comes when individual people come together to demand it.

.. says Ed Milband, one person at the top coming together with himself to impose change on the party.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

FPT @mick_pork
    It's being strongly hinted on R4 that the NannyCam posturing on the internet could encompass violence and gambling as well in it's net.

It happens already. Vodafone adult content filter blocks you from checking what the lottery numbers were. PB is a definite no-no.

I'm on Vodafone and this drives me effing crazy. If I'm away from my desk I use the phone to manage the site and too often I get the content control screen banning me from editing and writing posts.

Maybe that's part of the plan.

• Options
    Neil said:

A One Nation Labour Party

So despite rumours to the contrary he's still going on about that then.
    'Predators and Producers' can't be far behind....great timing eh, changing the rules ±12 months before the GE - is he thinking of 2015 or 2020?

• Options
    Charles said:

RobD said:

taffys said:

Am in the US and the coverage is jaw-droppingly enthusiastic. They are bubbling over with excitement (watching NBC's Today).

Going out for a walk because I can't take it anymore. It's a baby.
    @Charles

If only they didn't rebel in 1776?!

:)
  • Options
    So it a BIG announcement - that is actually just an announcement of a meeting that's several months away?

Well that's a bit of an anti-climax!

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/07/miliband-announces-special-conference-approve-labour-trade-union-reforms

"A One Nation Labour Party for all the people of Britain, not just a few at the top. We’re going to build a new way of doing politics. We want to open up our policy-making, clean up the lobbying industry and take the big money out of politics. And we want to let people back in. So I want all Labour party members, supporters, trade union members involved in this dialogue, leading up the Special Conference this spring to agree change."

• Options

A contraction in Labour (support)?

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Going out for a walk because I can't take it anymore.

By covering this with a blanket the media have shrewdly made themselves the story. All have items on 'everybody else goes bonkers ' (whilst we do it ourselves)..
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    Bet365 cut CON MAJ from 7/2 to 3/1. Best price still 4/1 (PP).
  • Options
    @tim - do keep up - posted at 18.02......almost as exciting as waiting for the royal baby.....
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010
    @TCPoliticalBetting

I think the Tudors might have ended up ruling, bar stewardry or not. If you remember, Henry VII left the last Plantagenet buried under a car park.
  • Options
    I have tried to get Vodafone to whitelist PB.
    All I get is a repetitive "It's classed as a gambling site"

Have you noticed that it only ever seems to trigger after 8pm when customer services is closed?

FPT @mick_pork

I'm on Vodafone and this drives me effing crazy. If I'm away from my desk I use the phone to manage the site and too often I get the content control screen banning me from editing and writing posts.

• Options
    Plato said:

So it a BIG announcement - that is actually just an announcement of a meeting that's several months away?

It's a big announcement for people who are interested in politics and in the history of the Labour party. I dont think many expected it to knock the royal baby off the front pages.
  • Options
    IndyRef:

Bet365 cut NO from 2/9 to 1/7. Best price now 1/6 (PP & SJ).
  • Options
    JackW Henry the Young King was formally crowned king while his father was still alive - a bit like a senior partner/junior partner arrangement. Really he should have had a regnal number.

The arrangement was so spectacularly unsuccessful, it seems not to have been tried again.
  • Options
    isam said:
    More idiots than bigots - the legislation specifically exempts religions from having to carry out same-sex marriages.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Plato said:

We'll have to wait to see - its actually the announcement of a process leading to a conference ±9 months from now which might lead to significant change - as ever the devil will be in the detail - pity he's doing it now, not 2 years ago....anyone might think he'd been bounced into it.....

Edit - Chris Mason tweets: "Ed Miliband acknowledges the changes were 'provoked by some of the problems we had.'

• Options
    antifrank said:

JackW Henry the Young King was formally crowned king while his father was still alive - a bit like a senior partner/junior partner arrangement. Really he should have had a regnal number.

The arrangement was so spectacularly unsuccessful, it seems not to have been tried again.

Indeed so ......

However I have to advise PBers that having had a pregnant pause the list has not contracted but has borne further candidates !!

Here's another :

Edward of Westminster Prince of Wales, son of Henry VI, died at the battle of Tewkesbury in 1471.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    @tim

Bows gracefully....but as I don't quite understand how the political levy translates into funding I'm steering well clear of that argument. Will be interesting to see what Miliband proposes...it will certainly be positive, but if only he had taken the inititaive on his own volition, not seen to be reacting.

Now I haven't asked you this before...and putting our various wagers aside...what do you currently believe the 2015 election result will be?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good evening, everyone.

Like everyone who isn't a journalist I agree the saturation coverage is ridiculous.

However, I wonder if this is just part of the 24 hour news culture (I use the term loosely). They cut away from interviewing a victim of torture to see the English football team coach arrive in Berlin, they bring us 'breaking news' often of an entirely trivial nature, they seem to confuse activity with achievement (as Sir Humphrey once almost said of politicians). News is dumbed down as well, ironic given they could actually fill the time with more intelligent and detailed reports.

I'm not that keen on the 'banter' between newsreaders either. Maybe I'd be a chirpy bugger if I got paid a six figure salary for sitting on a chair reading an autocue, though.
  • Options
    tim said:

Neil said:

Plato said:

It's a big announcement for people who are interested in politics and in the history of the Labour party.
    So besides JohnO thats's pretty much all of the PB Tories ruled out then.

I'm sure Richard and I will also being keeping abreast of developments.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Celeb news: Lady Gaga is closing in on 40,000,000 twitter followers. She is on 39.26 million at the moment. Good news for everyone on the Gaga vs Pope bet (Who will reach 40 million first) that was offered by Paddy Power a while back.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Neil said:

isam said:
    More idiots than bigots - the legislation specifically exempts religions from having to carry out same-sex marriages.
    but isn't the point that it could be challenged? So by not doing any weddings, you can't say it is discriminatory.
  • Options

FPT @mick_pork

I thought Dave is supposed to be a fan of PB?
  • Options
    @Charles

Let's sort the double out.

When Queen Victoria succeeded in 1837 the heir presumptive was her uncle the Duke of Cumberland. He was supplanted when Princess Victoria was born in 1840 and she was supplanted when her brother Prince Edward was born the following year.
  • Options
    @Hertsmere_Pubgoer

I can access PB on Vodafone, no problem.
  • Options

FPT @mick_pork

I thought Dave is supposed to be a fan of PB?
    I still haven't been offered my peerage, despite 8 years of devotion.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Neil said:

isam said:
    but isn't the point that it could be challenged? So by not doing any weddings, you can't say it is discriminatory.
    I think they're trying to make a different point entirely.
  • Options
    I think a very good Yougov must have come out for CON, so I'm taking the 5.00 offered up by Paddy. Will lay it later on Betfair when it shortens.
    Still fully expecting an Ed Miliband Gov't though.
  • Options
    Andrew Neil replies to the critics of his Ed Davey Sunday Politics interview:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23405202
  • Options
    @JackW William I was succeeded by William II, but the oldest son was Robert, who became Duke of Normandy. He was not happy about not getting the English crown and William II declared him his heir. But he was away when William II died, and the crown passed to the third brother Henry I.
  • Options
    Heir(esse)s presumptive: has anyone mentioned Matilda, daughter of Henry I? She was definitely the legitimate heir, and actually ruled for a few months in 1141 during the civil war. She titled herself Lady of the English and in my view should be given a place on the English king list.

Henry the Young King is definitely an anomaly, he was crowned in his lifetime but appears not to be recognised as we don't generally do co-monarchs. Philip of Spain was recognised as King at the time but no-one thinks of him now as our only Hapsburg monarch.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    JackW said:

@Charles

Why

When Queen Victoria succeeded in 1837 the heir presumptive was her uncle the Duke of Cumberland. He was supplanted when Princess Victoria was born in 1840 and she was supplanted when her brother Prince Edward was born the following year.

Why would the (male) Duke of Cumberland be supplanted by Princess Victoria?

The effect of the arrival of Prince Edward I can understand.

Mind, as a an egalitarian and a republican (ignore the pseudonym, it's jealousy) ) it all seems a something or other mess to me.

• Options
    Miss Vance, cheers for that link.

In the first minute Davey amused me. "The vast majority of climate change scientists agree climate change is happening."

Fascinating. I suppose most homeopaths believe in homeopathy too, and astrologers in astrology.

The consensus argument gets on my wick. It's science, not democracy. Popularity of a theory is irrelevant to whether it's correct (or close to being correct) or not.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

@JackW William I was succeeded by William II, but the oldest son was Robert, who became Duke of Normandy. He was not happy about not getting the English crown and William II declared him his heir. But he was away when William II died, and the crown passed to the third brother Henry I.

Robert's claim is confused because of his exile and various rebellions. Also the right of the eldest son to succeed was not as yet enshrined.

• Options
    JohnO said:

Perhaps eyebrows were raised at tales of your arriving in Bournemouth at unusual hours?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Just shows, you shouldn't be out of the country at crucial moments. Queen Margaret Rose, anyone!
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited July 2013

I have tried to get Vodafone to whitelist PB. All I get is a repetitive "It's classed as a gambling site"

Could someone please explain this to me as I have never subscribed to a UK mobile provider*. As such, this debate on here makes little sense to me.

Is this filter constantly on? With no opt-in or opt-out or box to untick somewhere? An unstoppable part of the contract? If so, why don't people vote with their feet (and wallets?)

Edit: *To be pedantic I did many years ago when at University in the UK but back then mobiles were bricks.
  • Options

JohnO said:

Perhaps eyebrows were raised at tales of your arriving in Bournemouth at unusual hours?
    Cameron's just annoyed he wasnt invited!
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited July 2013
    From Charles:
    "Am in the US and the coverage is jaw-droppingly enthusiastic. They are bubbling over with excitement (watching NBC's Today).

Going out for a walk because I can't take it anymore. It's a baby. "

Charles: Silly people are just as thick on the ground in the US as in the UK. But they can allow
    full scope to their silliness, for they don't carry any responsibility for the "Royal Family" , legal
    or financial. If it's any consolation, it probably implies affection for Brits and their funny ways.
    Personally, I think it's wicked what we do to these poor kids. They ought to have the same rights as the rest of us to find their level.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Is this filter constantly on? With no opt-in or opt-out or box to untick somewhere? An unstoppable part of the contract? If so, why don't people vote with their feet (and wallets?)

No, it's on by default when you start a new contract. It's easy to get it switched off, but with some providers you have to ring their call centre.
  • Options

The consensus argument gets on my wick. It's science, not democracy. Popularity of a theory is irrelevant to whether it's correct (or close to being correct) or not.

Agree - As Thomas Henry Huxley observed:

“Science is organized common sense where many a beautiful theory was killed by an ugly fact.”

• Options
    The filter is on as a default.
    Yes, you can opt out. However this can only be done by a human in customer services.
    Sometimes it has a brain fart and defaults to back on. This only seems to happen to me once customer services has closed at 8pm.
    The free O2 wifi in my local also has the same problem but it only happens occasionally.
    GeoffM said:

I have tried to get Vodafone to whitelist PB. All I get is a repetitive "It's classed as a gambling site"

Could someone please explain this to me as I have never subscribed to a UK mobile provider. As such, this debate on here makes little sense to me.

• Options
    Neil said:

I think they're trying to make a different point entirely.

Your'e right but be that as it may, anyone who thinks that the gay marriage exemptions won't be challenged in court sooner rather than later is a fool.

This is no longer the thin end of the wedge. We've already had woman "marrying" a bridge so the fox is running for this fun jaunt on the imposed-equality bandwagon.

• Options
    carlcarl Posts: 750
    JohnO said:

It's pretty early for a poll tweet, clearly Murdoch's mob are beside themselves with excitement at the poll, so it must be very good news for their beloved Dave and boys in blue.

Level pegging?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109

That'll be sooner rather than later I'm guessing..
  • Options
    @JackW

Had to share this with you!

Mum just shouted at me for reading PB.com defending the monarchy at the dinner table!

I paraphrase here, as she was shouting at me in the vernacular, but roughly translated, she told me to go and ask HMQ to give me a job wiping her ARSE! LOL!!!

Sunil is 37!

• Options

JackW said:

@Charles

Why

Mind, as a an egalitarian and a republican (ignore the pseudonym, it's jealousy) ) it all seems a something or other mess to me.

The Duke was supplanted because even a daughter of a sovereign or daughter of an elder deceased brother (The late Duke of Kent) takes precedence over male uncles .

Hence the present Queen succeeded her father rather than George VI's next in line brother the late Duke of Gloucester.

• Options

In the first minute Davey amused me. "The vast majority of climate change scientists agree climate change is happening."

Fascinating. I suppose most homeopaths believe in homeopathy too, and astrologers in astrology.

Of course the climate is changing. Always has done, always will do...
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    GeoffM said:

We've already had woman "marrying" a bridge

Not in a church though.

Anyone is free to try to challenge or overturn aspects of any statute but the fact is the protections for religions in the Marriage (SAme Sex Couples) Act are iron-clad and they should do us all a favour by giving the moaning about it a rest.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited July 2013
    Toms said:

From Charles:
    "Am in the US and the coverage is jaw-droppingly enthusiastic. They are bubbling over with excitement (watching NBC's Today).

Charles: Silly people are just as thick on the ground in the US as in the UK. But they can allow
    full scope to their silliness, for they don't carry any responsibility for the "Royal Family" , legal
    or financial. If it's any consolation, it probably implies affection for Brits and their funny ways.
    Personally, I think it's wicked what we do to these poor kids. They ought to have the same rights as the rest of us to find their level.

The British Royal family is far more popular in the US than the President , the Senate or the House of Representatives. 1776 was a mistake but one remedied by time and experience.

• Options
    @JackW Personally I'm admiring of William the Conqueror's progressive instincts, favouring a son who was it seems at the very least bisexual and not the least bit concerned to hide his same sex tastes.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Dr. Prasannan, good for you. Boo hiss to republicanism!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    JackW said:

JackW said:

@Charles

Why

The Duke was supplanted because even a daughter of a sovereign or daughter of an elder deceased brother (The late Duke of Kent) takes precedence over male uncles .

Hence the present Queen succeeded her father rather than George VI's next in line brother the late Duke of Gloucester.

Thank you. Understand and accept.

When can I next vote for the head of state?
  • Options
    I've avoided Royal Baby saturation by, cunningly, not reading, watching or hearing anything about the Royal Baby. Works a treat, it does.

Good cartoon, but not as funny as reading Neil, Nick P, Tim and others taking flailing in the dark PB Tories by the hand and walking them gently through Labour / union issues on the last thread...
  • Options
    carl said:

JohnO said:

It's pretty early for a poll tweet, clearly Murdoch's mob are beside themselves with excitement at the poll, so it must be very good news for their beloved Dave and boys in blue.

Level pegging?
    I wouldn't be surprised if its "Labour Lead slashed to +4 - lowest in 16 months" - but still comfortably within MOE of an average lead of 7.....

The only thing about it that matters (and then not much) is whether it shifts or reinforces the narrative on Miliband - and on that, what really matters is the internal response to his announcement today...

Meanwhile, it's still hot & the royal baby is due....

• Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, precisely. Man *may* have an impact (I'm unconvinced it's substantial) but the climate has always been dynamic.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited July 2013

Toms said:

From Charles:

The British Royal family is far more popular in the US than the President , the Senate or the House of Representatives. 1776 was a mistake but one remedied by time and experience.

Chuckle. I rest my case.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    The media should show some class . Just announce the birth when it comes not hanging around labour wards all day. Same with Nelson Mandela -that has got pretty embarrassing foretelling his death when he still is here weeks (is it now?) later. Learn some manners
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think a very good Yougov must have come out for CON, so I'm taking the 5.00 offered up by Paddy. Will lay it later on Betfair when it shortens.
    Still fully expecting an Ed Miliband Gov't though.

Good luck trying to get anyone interested in discussing political betting around here.
  • Options

That'll be sooner rather than later I'm guessing..
    It'll be after the first editions have gone to press....

• Options

Popularity of a theory is irrelevant to whether it's correct

You don't understand how science, or scientists, work, do you?

Have a think why the theory that, say, the Earth is flat is not particularly "popular" in the science community.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    Regardless of one's political/constitutional proclivities, some on here should be interested in this. A pro independence site, Wings Over Scotland, is funding its own poll on Scottish Independence by crowd sourcing. Initial target reached after a couple of hours.

http://wingsoverscotland.com/lets-do-a-thing/

Some of you may even want to contribute!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336
    From the wording, I'd guess the YouGov bad news is more about Ed personally than the party rankings, but we'll see.
  • Options
    Mr. Carl, I am unsure if that's a trolling attempt or a serious comment.

It takes one person or fact to prove a scientific theory wrong. It used to be the majority view that the Earth was at the centre of the universe.

As for flat Earth - that's a rather cheap insult. Besides which, the Ancient Greeks, clever chaps that they were, reasoned the Earth was not flat (you see a ship's sails before its hull on the horizon).
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618

Andrew Neil replies to the critics of his Ed Davey Sunday Politics interview:
    Many thanks for the link. I find Andrew Neil the best in his class,this interview was superb,also EdDavey gave a very good persuavive performance.
    I am a scientist and engineer,and spent my working life on recycling and alternative energy sources,I am not a crackpot,but I am not yet convinced. I do intuitevely beleive we should not allow carbon dioxide levels to increase,and as such I agree with many decarbonisation projects,and re-forestation etc.
    But the UK without world agreement will make a negligible difference.Pi55ing in the wind.
    Just for the record I think wind power,and photovoltaic in the UK is a dead end,lets get fracking.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23405202

• Options
    Neil said:

Anyone is free to try to challenge or overturn aspects of any statute but the fact is the protections for religions in the Marriage (SAme Sex Couples) Act are iron-clad...

That's a keeper for a rainy day. I'd put money on there being a successful challenge within the next few years.

This discussion has been closed.