Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May is still the only politician with a net favourable

SystemSystem Posts: 11,018
edited February 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May is still the only politician with a net favourable rating with the voters YouGov finds

if("undefined"==typeof window.datawrapper)window.datawrapper={};window.datawrapper["fai6F"]={},window.datawrapper["fai6F"].embedDeltas={"100":829,"200":650,"300":584,"400":537,"500":537,"600":537,"700":509,"800":490,"900":490,"1000":490},window.datawrapper["fai6F"].iframe=document.getElementById("datawrapper-chart-fai6F"),window.datawrapper["fai6F"].iframe.style.height=window.datawrapper["fai6F"].embedDeltas[Math.min(1e3,Math.max(100*Math.floor(window.datawrapper["fai6F"].iframe.offsetWidth/100),100))]+"px",window.addEventListener("message",function(a){if("undefined"!=typeof a.data["datawrapper-height"])for(var b in a.data["datawrapper-height"])if("fai6F"==b)window.datawrapper["fai6F"].iframe.style.height=a.data["datawrapper-height"][b]+"px"});

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2017
    First - Lets Make America New Threads Great Again.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,892
    edited February 2017
    Second! Things can only get better for Labour, as they used to sing...
  • Options
    Errrhhhhh Sir, waves arms frantically, I'm not sure my experiment is looking quite right....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4191156/University-evacuated-student-concocts-explosive.html
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Jezza has the same level of unfavourability as Trump and Putin !!!! That is some achievement.
  • Options
    Sorted on 'sir'....
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Most interesting the the softest on Brexit of the heavyweight Cabinet members, Hammond, has a poorer rating than Davis, Johnson and May
  • Options
    Nonsense like this won't help YouGov's struggle for survival.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    edited February 2017
    May is clearly unassailable at the moment, both more popular than her main potential rivals in the Tory Party, Boris, Hammond and Davis, and her rivals and potential rivals amongst the opposition parties, Corbyn, Starmer, Farron and Nuttall. Interesting that Nuttall is now more popular than Corbyn with Stoke coming up
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    I would point out that more people have a favourable view of Trump than Farron. He's beating Putin, mind.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited February 2017
    Quite extraordinary. Vladimir Putin lower than Donald Trump. I wouldn't have thought anyone could have been lower than Trump. Must be fiddling the olympics
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    edited February 2017
    rcs1000 said:

I would point out that more people have a favourable view of Trump than Farron. He's beating Putin, mind.

More people have a favourable view of Putin than Starmer and Nuttall though albeit they have much lower unfavourables
  • Options
    Just on the 6 nations and reading about the new bonus points here:

http://www.rbs6nations.com/en/news/30434.php#xz22XsExYy3MrP0o.97

There appears to be 3 bonus points for winning the grand slam.

What is the point of that? Is it mathematically to ensure a team can't come top despite losing to a team which wins all its matches?
  • Options

I do like people whose view on the world is unique but that one really is a bit left field.
  • Options
    Roger said:

I do like people whose view on the world is unique but that one really is a bit left field.
    Hollande would be + 68 in YouGov's looking glass world.
    The reality for your man is different.

http://www.france24.com/en/mediawatch/20161025-record-low-hollande-with-4-approval-rating
  • Options

I just looked at the five year stock price for YouGov (http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/prices-and-markets/stocks/summary/company-summary/GB00B1VQ6H25GBGBXAMSM.html), and it is currently at an all time high, having risen five times, in the last five years.

If this is a "struggle for survival", I would be interested to know what you think success looks like.
  • Options

What is the point of that? Is it mathematically to ensure a team can't come top despite losing to a team which wins all its matches?

Yes
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287

Correct - that is the precise reason - it's to guarantee that if you win the grand slam you must win the title.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Yes.

Without the Slam Bonus, a team could win every match but lose the title to a team who lost one (against the team that won every match) yet win the championship purely on the bonus points.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Personally I don't like the new scoring system full stop. Gone are the days of rolling about in the mud games where the ball is hidden in the middle of 16 fatty forwards hugging each other for 60 minutes the game and the backs blasting kicks from one half to the other and back again. The international rule changes has enforced a much more open and attacking game of rugby, so no need for all this bonus point stuff.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Isn't it the net value that matters?
    Boris and Angela Merkel doing surprisingly well.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,923

Of course

Else 5 wins x 4 points is beaten by 4 wins of 5 points + a losing 2 in the lost match to the GS victors.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Farron's 14% favourable, 33% unfavourable suggests he's not much good at inspiring Remainers, but isn't bad at getting Leavers' backs up.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    Looks interesting for Keir Starmer - until you see that 75% of respondents said "Who the fuck??"
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I just looked at the five year stock price for YouGov (http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/prices-and-markets/stocks/summary/company-summary/GB00B1VQ6H25GBGBXAMSM.html), and it is currently at an all time high, having risen five times, in the last five years.

If this is a "struggle for survival", I would be interested to know what you think success looks like.
    Bizarre but then again Fortune named Enron "America's Most Innovative Company" for six consecutive years.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I believe profits are at an all time high, albeit it is still piddly amounts in the grand scheme of things.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

rcs1000 said:

Bizarre but then again Fortune named Enron "America's Most Innovative Company" for six consecutive years.
    They weren't wrong......
  • Options
    ((Harry Enten))) Verified account
    @ForecasterEnten

Last I checked we had three branches of government.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Personally I don't like the new scoring system full stop. Gone are the days of rolling about in the mud games where the ball is hidden in the middle of 16 fatty forwards hugging each other for 60 minutes the game and the backs blasting kicks from one half to the other and back again. The international rule changes has enforced a much more open and attacking game of rugby, so no need for all this bonus point stuff.

Well that was a pretty damn exciting 40 minutes of rugby from Scotland, so early days, but a good start.
    It's good to see them back, finally.
  • Options
    No, surely not?

May, rushing to prostrate herself at the feet of Trump is +13% points ahead of 'biding her time' (in truth, Trump wouldn't invite her) Angela?

How can that be possible, after we were repeatedly assured May had made a laughing stock of herself?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Well that was a pretty damn exciting 40 minutes of rugby from Scotland, so early days, but a good start.
    Cracking game. Be good if Scotland could start challenging again.

Open, attacking, closely fought international rugby is the best team sport in the world. End of.

Trouble is it rarely reaches those heights.
    You obviously missed the past 12 months of England games then....Especially the games against Australia down under. They were bigly epic games...does Trump hand gestures...Making Rugby Great Again...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    MTimT said:

Most interesting the the softest on Brexit of the heavyweight Cabinet members, Hammond, has a poorer rating than Davis, Johnson and May

He inspires far less passion in supporters and opponents,I would guess, even though he seems the most competent.
  • Options
    Is it my imagination or have US flight prices dropped. Am just trying to book some for a few months time and they seem a good £200 cheaper than when I looked for the same period over Christmas.
  • Options

No, surely not?

May, rushing to prostrate herself at the feet of Trump is +13% points ahead of 'biding her time' (in truth, Trump wouldn't invite her) Angela?

How can that be possible, after we were repeatedly assured May had made a laughing stock of herself?

I had taken a hiatus from PB for January but dipped in occasionally, and in fact several prominent lefties felt May's speech and press conference went fairly well and it was well handled, though after the hand holding photo there was more criticism (though that was mostly of the 'she'll regret that image' rather than serious critique I felt), but it didn't really come off the rails until the next day or so when Trump's executive order had its effect.

So I don't know that there was consensus May made a laughing stock of herself even among the left.
  • Options
    I know this isn't done, so I'll do it anyway - but removing the don't knows gives us:

(diff vs no exclusion of DK)
    Merkel: -9 (-2)
    Johnson: -7 (-1)
    Davis: -19 (-10)
    Trump: -57 (-6)
    Corbyn: -48 (-8)
    Nuttall: -61 (-38)
    Hammond: -29 (-14)
    Starmer: -40 (-30)
    May: +7 (+1)
    Farron: -40 (-21)
    Putin: -78 (-15)

Obviously not much difference for well known politicians like Merkel, May, Trump or Johnson - but lesser known politicians - among those who are aware of them see less flattering results
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Open, attacking, closely fought international rugby is the best team sport in the world. End of.

You obviously missed the past 12 months of England games then....Especially the games against Australia down under. They were bigly epic games...does Trump hand gestures...Making Rugby Great Again...
    I watched them all! England were superb.

I'm just saying this is a jolly good game. Is all. Who knows if the bonus points will benefit the game further, but let's give it a chance.

I agree the sport is vastly improved from the slugfests of the past.
    It can be fun to watch some old sports which were perhaps a little more amateurish than now, and see how slow and ponderous they can look in comparison. Doesn't apply to all sports though.

Given HD broadcasting was not a thing until relatively recently, it can also make something from 15 years ago look like it was 30-40 years ago. I don't know how we got by before HD.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I believe profits are at an all time high, albeit it is still piddly amounts in the grand scheme of things.
    Yes: YouGov is not a very big company in the general scheme of things: c. 10m profit on 80m of turnover. Still, it will have made Mr Shakespeare 50 or 60 million quid.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

No, surely not?

May has a rep as being an ultra-pragmatist, as such going to see Trump et al is seen as just part of her job. She has never tried to be an idealist, she has never tried for lofty goals beyond getting shit done (even if she fails regularly) and as things are I think enough people see that as a positive.
    At the moment with such a thin field there are few alternatives that wouldn't run the country like an out of control car.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I'm just saying this is a jolly good game. Is all. Who knows if the bonus points will benefit the game further, but let's give it a chance.

It is unfortunate that most of England's A team is injured for the Six Nations.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

It can be fun to watch some old sports which were perhaps a little more amateurish than now, and see how slow and ponderous they can look in comparison. Doesn't apply to all sports though.

Given HD broadcasting was not a thing until relatively recently, it can also make something from 15 years ago look like it was 30-40 years ago. I don't know how we got by before HD.
    Sport in SD now just looks horrific. That been said when 4K at 60fps becomes the norm, we will probably say how did we ever watch that crappy HD at such a low frame rate.

Rugby is a totally different game now. Cricket on the other hand, watching Lillee, Thompson, Holding....nope I am still glad I am on my sofa and not 22 yards away.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    HaroldO said:

No, surely not?

May has a rep as being an ultra-pragmatist, as such going to see Trump et al is seen as just part of her job. She has never tried to be an idealist, she has never tried for lofty goals beyond getting shit done (even if she fails regularly) and as things are I think enough people see that as a positive.
    At the moment with such a thin field there are few alternatives that wouldn't run the country like an out of control car.
    Have you told Southam ? We were regaled with several days of how she was a complete embarrassment, how the photo would make her a laughing stock, how all the other countries would lose all respect for us now, and similar hyperventilations.

In reality of course, most of the country didn't notice, a few that did acted as you suggest giving a slight nudge in ratings, the conference in Malta didn't contain too much controversial and several countries said pleasant and constructive things.

and Labour decided that caps of energy prices are the way to go, having learned nothing after the debacle of promising price caps on water before the last GE.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,284
    edited February 2017
    Good article about Theresa May today in the Mail on line. When Cameron stood down and she entered the contest with Leadsom for the leadership and de facto Prime Minister she received a telephone call from Leadsom who asked for it to be treated in confidence. Her advisors left the room and after the call they were curious what had happened. However, she continued with her preparations for her election campaign without comment and in her usual way. The next day Leadsom appeared on television and resigned thereby confering the leadership and PM on Theresa.

Her advisors were astonished that Leadsom had told her of her decision in that telephone call but that for nearly 24 hours she showed no hint or emotion that she was about to realise the job she had always wanted, but just concentrated on the work in hand. It was commented that it was a demonstration of enormous self discipline as most people would not have been able to contain themselves immediately on the ending of Leadsom's phone call
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

HaroldO said:

No, surely not?

Have you told Southam ? We were regaled with several days of how she was a complete embarrassment, how the photo would make her a laughing stock, how all the other countries would lose all respect for us now, and similar hyperventilations.

In reality of course, most of the country didn't notice, a few that did acted as you suggest giving a slight nudge in ratings, the conference in Malta didn't contain too much controversial and several countries said pleasant and constructive things.

and Labour decided that caps of energy prices are the way to go, having learned nothing after the debacle of promising price caps on water before the last GE.
    She is the kind of person that would wear leather driving gloves, drive a Toyota and would keep her bills alphabetised. In the current chaos that is perhaps seen as a plus.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Is it my imagination or have US flight prices dropped. Am just trying to book some for a few months time and they seem a good £200 cheaper than when I looked for the same period over Christmas.

May be they have a bunch of seats that have just opened up?
  • Options

Good article about Theresa May today in the Mail on line. When Cameron stood down and she entered the contest with Leadsom for the leadership and de facto Prime Minister she received a telephone call from Leadsom who asked for it to be treated in confidence. Her advisors left the room and after the call they were curious what had happened. However, she continued with her preparations for her election campaign without comment and in her usual way. The next day Leadsom appeared on television and resigned thereby confering the leadership and PM on Theresa.

Her advisors were astonished that Leadsom had told her of her decision in that telephone call but that for nearly 24 hours she showed no hint or emotion that she was about to realise the job she had always wanted, but just concentrated on the work in hand. It was commented that it was a demonstration of enormous self discipline as most people would not have been able to contain themselves immediately on the ending of Leadsom's phone call

What a great story.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    Charles said:

Xmas is peak booking season so the flight prices are often higher at this time. Could also be less demand flying to US given recent events
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    Well played the Scots. Gritty stuff.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    edited February 2017
    Ireland being scottish
  • Options
    What a bloody good game of rugby to start the 6 Nations!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,977
    rcs1000 said:

What a great story.
    How do we know that was what Leadsom told her?
  • Options
    nielh said:

Charles said:

Xmas is peak booking season so the flight prices are often higher at this time. Could also be less demand flying to US given recent events
    Good point. Whenever I have gone to the US the border checks are most off putting and even intimidating and that was long before anyone had heard of Trump. I would not want to go to US at present though I am going to my son and daughter in law's in Vancouver in May but will not be crossing into the US
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,921
    edited February 2017
    x

rcs1000 said:

What a great story.
    Theresa May put it on facebook and twitter!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

What a great story.
    Because Leadsom confirmed it. Just accept the story for what it says about our PM compared to so many others
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

What a great story.
    Just accept the story for what it says about our PM compared to so many others
    Is that an order?
  • Options

nielh said:

Charles said:

Good point. Whenever I have gone to the US the border checks are most off putting and even intimidating and that was long before anyone had heard of Trump. I would not want to go to US at present though I am going to my son and daughter in law's in Vancouver in May but will not be crossing into the US
    TBH was quite suprised, after all I had heard, when my wife & I and our son and his family landed in Hawaii last year all was straightforward. We flew in from Japan; perhaps that made a difference?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

What a great story.
    Because Leadsom confirmed it. Just accept the story for what it says about our PM compared to so many others
    Didn’t realise that Leadsom had confirmed it. Yes; well done to May for keeping it under wraps.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Charles said:

Just before Xmas, I got my Eva Air biz class return London-BKK for £1600. Normally they are £2500.

I've no idea why.
    Post Brexit, we are all so impoverished that we can't afford Business Class flights to Bangkok, unless we're propped up by German readers?

Or, Brits are all heading to Europe before the post-Brexit wall is erected?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Charles said:

Just before Xmas, I got my Eva Air biz class return London-BKK for £1600. Normally they are £2500.

I've no idea why.
    Post Brexit, we are all so impoverished that we can't afford Business Class flights to Bangkok, unless we're propped up by German readers?

Or, Brits are all heading to Europe before the post-Brexit wall is erected?
    Trump boycott.
  • Options

nielh said:

Charles said:

TBH was quite suprised, after all I had heard, when my wife & I and our son and his family landed in Hawaii last year all was straightforward. We flew in from Japan; perhaps that made a difference?
    The US Border can be incredibly easy, and I've gotten off a plane from London, sauntered into a customs and immigration hall where there are 20 people at desks, and gotten to baggage reclaim in 2 minutes.

But I've also landed at Miami airport, where the queues to the immigration hall itself were 200 or 300 meters long, and spent FIVE hours waiting to see someone. (There were perhaps two desks open to non-Americans, and at least 1,000 passengers. Because we arrived from Latin America they were quizzing lots of single men pretty hard about whether they were really there to work or were actually there for their cousin's wedding.)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

What a great story.
    Just accept the story for what it says about our PM compared to so many others
    Is that an order?
    Absolutely
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

nielh said:

Charles said:

The US Border can be incredibly easy, and I've gotten off a plane from London, sauntered into a customs and immigration hall where there are 20 people at desks, and gotten to baggage reclaim in 2 minutes.

But I've also landed at Miami airport, where the queues to the immigration hall itself were 200 or 300 meters long, and spent FIVE hours waiting to see someone. (There were perhaps two desks open to non-Americans, and at least 1,000 passengers. Because we arrived from Latin America they were quizzing lots of single men pretty hard about whether they were really there to work or were actually there for their cousin's wedding.)
    Wasn't Columbia into Miami was it? Done that one....get your desk chair out.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Roger said:

Quite extraordinary. Vladimir Putin lower than Donald Trump. I wouldn't have thought anyone could have been lower than Trump. Must be fiddling the olympics

Lol - that says so much about your world view.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

nielh said:

Charles said:

One very good feature of Bangkok Airport is that they have a desk specifically for the elderly, those with young children and monks. The queues are much shorter than the ordinary ones, although it’s not good to get behind an Indian family.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    felix said:

Roger said:

felix said:

Roger said:

I refer you to the Daily Star!

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/584828/US-China-War-South-China-Sea-World-War-3-Donald-Trump-Trade-Shipping-Reality-Tillerson
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203
    Completely off topic: I am thinking of a Canada trip this year - to the Rockies (Jasper /Banff) and Vancouver - I really want to see Vancouver Island.

If anyone has any great tips, do let me know.

Thank you!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,923
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

nielh said:

Charles said:

At JFK I walked through miles of empty lanes to get behind five, maybe six people at one of the desks. It still took 25 minutes - not much to worry about - but I just wonder how long it takes when the line is full!
  • Options
    Roger said:
    Incidentally a little while ago I went to the 'secret' military bunker in Essex. Of the post-War advice, the suggest that whitewashing your windows and propping a door up against a wall would meaningfully assist you in a nuclear blast was strange to watch. I assume its primary purpose was to keep people calm/busy.
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    "Internationally, she said that her election would be followed by six months of talks with EU partners to reshape the EU into a lose confederation of nations, for example by ending the border-free area, relaxing budget rules and ending the pre-eminence of EU law. If there was no such deal, then there would be a referendum on leaving the EU and she would recommend leaving. "

Even if she is not elected the centre will be dragged towards her position.

and if she is, the Eu is only months away from ExU.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:jj4PB20tFdYJ:https://www.ft.com/content/a5519f64-eaeb-11e6-930f-061b01e23655+&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Cyclefree said:

Completely off topic: I am thinking of a Canada trip this year - to the Rockies (Jasper /Banff) and Vancouver - I really want to see Vancouver Island.

Thank you!

Vancover's very nice and a walk to the X File Studios about a mile out of town is worth a trip. Otherwise a car drive up the river to the Ski resort on Whistler mountain is interesting as is the zoo. I was working there for two weeks and I liked it a lot. I didn't have many days off but it had a nice easy paced feel with a lot of sushi restaurants. All in all well worth a trip.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

nielh said:

Charles said:

One very good feature of Bangkok Airport is that they have a desk specifically for the elderly, those with young children and monks. The queues are much shorter than the ordinary ones, although it’s not good to get behind an Indian family.
    Wotcher, OKC. Love the new avatar.

Every time you mention your kids I can't help thinking of Helena, Empress and Saint!

Incidentally, St Helen's Chapel is probably my favourite building in Colchester. An 11th/12th-century chapel dissolved by Henry VIII, then house, school, library, Quaker meeting-house and warehouse, done up by William Butterfield and now an Orthodox church. Worth popping inside if you ever get the chance.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Thank you!

You cannot go wrong with British Columbia. Hire a car and drive from Calgarry through the Rockies to Banff and Jasper. Good roadside/motel accommodation. Spend a few days in Vancouver and take the Horseshoe Bay ferry to Vancouver Island spending a few days exploring but do not miss Victoria - it is charming. Good whale watching and fabulous salmon bakes. Fly back from Victoria or Vancouver. Try Air Canada or West Jet from Gatwick for flights - Gatwick is cheaper usually. Hope that helps but most definately take your camera
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Roger said:
    Incidentally a little while ago I went to the 'secret' military bunker in Essex. Of the post-War advice, the suggest that whitewashing your windows and propping a door up against a wall would meaningfully assist you in a nuclear blast was strange to watch. I assume its primary purpose was to keep people calm/busy.
    If you were too close to the detonation point there was nothing you could do but further out simple precautions could help you "protect and survive". There were, after all, people who survived the Japanese blasts.

Of course, whether you would actually want to survive is another matter.

On a tangent, probably because of their wartime experiences, both my mother and mother-in-law always kept a cupboard full of what they deemed as iron rations. That is to say lots of tinned and dried foodstuffs, just in case. My wife inherited the habit and even now keeps it up. If anything gets used from that cupboard, e.g. a tin of sardines, she makes sure it gets replaced the next time she goes shopping. I once calculated that, with care, we (including the cat) could survive for about five weeks solely from the contents of that cupboard. Of course, we would have died of thirst by then because in WW2 nobody worried about not being able to get water.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Cyclefree said:

Thank you!

I have done that trip a number of times. TBH you can't really go wrong wherever you go. Vancouver Island is one a lot of people miss out, but is fantastic place. West side of the Island e.g. Tofino is a bit of trek, but definitely worth for the ocean wild life.

If you are going to do Vancouver, I would highly recommend heading down across the border to San Juan Islands...great chance to see Killer Whales in the wild....and Seattle is also worth a visit.

One thing to note...Canada it is bloody expensive for us Brits due to currency (and not just because of Brexit, been heading down for years now).
  • Options
    @Big_G_NorthWales – What a great write up, I may now seriously consider a trip myself.
  • Options
    "... now an Orthodox church. Worth popping inside if you ever get the chance. ..."

Are not all Orthodox churches? From tiny ones in out of the way parts of small Greek islands, to massive cathedrals and even St Dunstan in the West in Fleet Street (shared between CofE and Romanian Orthodox), they all repay a visit.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited February 2017

Roger said:
    All the signs dotted around Ongar / Brentwood / Kelvedon Hatch pointing the SECRET nuclear bunker never fail to raise a smile.

I visited the bunker myself, must be a couple of decades ago now! Was rather taken by the waxwork of Mrs T, is she still living down there? I understand they rent the place out now for teenage haunted sleepovers, perhaps she the Iron Lady is the star attraction! The museum exhibits looked rather tired and uncared for even when I visited, would rather hope the place has had a spruce-up since then but the TripAdvisor reports suggest not even if they are mostly positive. I've never been anywhere quite like it, so perhaps the atmosphere is worth the price of admission alone. Such a sense of armageddon in the place, set in one of plushest parts of the rural Essex commuter belt.

I understand TWW is one of the young'uns on here, in which case I suggest you try tracking down Protect and Survive on Youtube or similar - when I visited the Kelvedon Hatch Bunker, they had it playing on VCR, perhaps they still do! And if you can stomach it, When The Wind Blows by Raymond Briggs is haunting and beautiful, either in the original comic or the animated film. Makes the cryathon last scene of The Snowman look like a Disney happy ending. The idea that all these trusting "little people" quaintly following the nuclear protection rituals prescribed by their elders and betters (safely bunkered down beneath them) will achieve a jot of national or self-preservation by doing so is roundly put to the sword. I actually found it painted a bleaker and more cynical picture than Threads did, which is saying something. (If anything I thought it was overkill, since some of the recommended precautions were clearly scientifically sensible.)
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Thank you!

Funnily enough I am just trying to plan a similar trip for the family for this July or August. Thinking of doing one of the fly drive holidays but not quite sure exactly which yet.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203

Cyclefree said:

Thank you!

You cannot go wrong with British Columbia. Hire a car and drive from Calgarry through the Rockies to Banff and Jasper. Good roadside/motel accommodation. Spend a few days in Vancouver and take the Horseshoe Bay ferry to Vancouver Island spending a few days exploring but do not miss Victoria - it is charming. Good whale watching and fabulous salmon bakes. Fly back from Victoria or Vancouver. Try Air Canada or West Jet from Gatwick for flights - Gatwick is cheaper usually. Hope that helps but most definately take your camera
    Thank you!

And to @Roger and @FrancisUrquhart.

• Options

"... now an Orthodox church. Worth popping inside if you ever get the chance. ..."

Are not all Orthodox churches? From tiny ones in out of the way parts of small Greek islands, to massive cathedrals and even St Dunstan in the West in Fleet Street (shared between CofE and Romanian Orthodox), they all repay a visit.

I fairly regularly had some business on Fleet St a couple of years back - walked past St Dunstan and never thought to go in! How daft of me. But even the bog-standard Anglican churches in that part of London tend to repay a visit or two.
  • Options
    What an escape for England in the 1st half.
  • Options
    Good evening, everyone.

Not paying much attention to the rugby (indeed, come on the computer to do a spot of work) but that referee decision (It's out - although I will immediately penalise you if you go for it) was ridiculous.
  • Options
    @TheWhiteRabbit and anyone else curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6U9T3R3EQg

Everything from how to put out fires to how to dispose of toilet waste to how not to get the fallout dust in your baked beans. Gloomy stuff.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,930
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Thank you!

Thank you!

And to @Roger and @FrancisUrquhart.

Take the tram ride around Vancouver - it's hop on hop off. The flying boats are also a feature - but they are often booked up well in advance.
  • Options
    To me it feels very, very likely that TM will call a general election in May or over next few months, assuming by elections go ok.

Her poll rating are stratospheric and she would presumably get a big majority.

Perhaps trigger article 50 in march then go to country for a mandate to support her negotiating strategy.

I know people say with fixed term act it's harder to call election, but who is going to vote against the idea of an election?

I just cannot see any possible advantage to her in letting go the term run. Things are just bound to go downhill and risk unravelling.

She has also has perfect excuse to call it as she can say brexit most important decision since war etc...Important I have support for my strategy from British people...

I know she is very cautious but surely she would be insain not to take this opportunity to avoid being a 1 term premier?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    bazzer72 said:

I just cannot see any possible advantage to her in letting go the term run. Things are just bound to go downhill and risk unravelling.

That's the risk

2 weeks ago she could have run on a Brexit ticket.

Now she is running on a Trump ticket. That's waaayyyy too risky for Tezza
  • Options
    SeanT said:

England are suddenly a bit rubbish again. Too many injuries.

Backs are ok, the lack of big billy and robshaw are the biggest absentees.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    bazzer72 said:

To me it feels very, very likely that TM will call a general election in May or over next few months, assuming by elections go ok.

Perhaps trigger article 50 in march then go to country for a mandate to support her negotiating strategy.

I know people say with fixed term act it's harder to call election, but who is going to vote against the idea of an election?

She has also has perfect excuse to call it as she can say brexit most important decision since war etc...Important I have support for my strategy from British people...

I know she is very cautious but surely she would be insain not to take this opportunity to avoid being a 1 term premier?

On the other hand, 'moderate' Labour might get its act together and kick out Corbyn if he leads them to an election defeat now, depriving May of her greatest asset and perhaps replacing him with a credible alternative PM (ok, that last bit might be a tad far). Given a few years, Corbyn can change party rules, boundary changes might come in, and the chances of Labour recovering dwindle.
  • Options
    Commendations to the stiff upper lippery of PB's finest. Having been informed of an imminent nuclear war by Express Group Newspapers we all carried on discussing poll ratings as though nothing had happened
  • Options
    nielh said:

Charles said:

My ironic comment went over your head I see...
  • Options

I fairly regularly had some business on Fleet St a couple of years back - walked past St Dunstan and never thought to go in! How daft of me. But even the bog-standard Anglican churches in that part of London tend to repay a visit or two.
    I think you understate the case, Mr. Ears. All of the City churches repay a visit - they all simply crackle with history. Even the names are worth historical essays in their own right (e.g. St. Lawrence Jewry - why St. Lawrence, why Jewry, why next to the Guildhall, why the big modern connection with the Parachute Regiment?). So much was destroyed in the Great Fire, and much more by the Luftwaffe, but the History of the City lives on and will continue to do so once today's shysters and criminals have departed the scene.

I think respectable City institutions and families understand this; seeing themselves a stewards and not plunderers but let us be honest the City has always, from time immemorial, been home to people who were looking to get rich. Sir John Crosby didn't get rich by helping the poor.
  • Options
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooo
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    Roger said:

Commendations to the stiff upper lippery of PB's finest. Having been informed of an imminent nuclear war by Express Group Newspapers we all carried on discussing poll ratings as though nothing had happened

Its a completely fatuous chunk of clickbait would be one reason.

The overriding reason why there might be trouble in the South China Sea is because China continues to take islands that don't belong to it, and turn them into stationary missile bases and airfields. Sooner or later one of those countries is going to object strongly, and the USA has defense treaties with just about all of them. This would be true under Clinton or Trump. Clinton is the liberal interventionist hawk, Trump the isolationist. Who do you think is most likely to get an itchy trigger finger if their allies in the SCS start calling for help ?
  • Options
    edited February 2017

St Dunstan's only "even" worth a visit?

If you ask nicely I could take you to our family crypt under the church :smiley:

(And technically it's not "shared" - we let them use it, but they have no rights...)
  • Options
    FFS England. Making a right mess of this.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    bazzer72 said:

Why would Labour facilitate an election if all the omens point to a heavy defeat for them?
  • Options
    The May-Gasm continues into 2017 :)
  • Options
    Rugby is a bit too much like American Rugby Football for my liking :)
  • Options

Rugby is a bit too much like American Rugby Football for my liking :)

How very dare you!
This discussion has been closed.