Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Brexit. There’s everything to play for

SystemSystem Posts: 11,018
edited February 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Brexit. There’s everything to play for

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
  • Options
    Second like Corbyn's Labour
  • Options

I'm feeling a bit binary today.
  • Options
    Am I right in thinking Don Brind's sympathies actually lie with the Remainers and minimal Brexit?
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    edited February 2017
    After A50 is passed, we are leaving in some shape or form.

The chance of the court saying that A50 is reversible is remote because it would void the whole point of the article - and even if it did it would be completely politically unacceptable for the same reasons.

If A50 is reversible there is nothing to stop the EU offering the most objectionable deal possible in order to force a reversal.

Conversely, and more importantly for the EU, there is equally nothing to stop the UK enacting Article 50, negotiating for two years, deciding it doesn't like the deal, and reversing Article 50. Then the next year enacting Article 50 again and having another go at getting a better deal.

A reversible A50 makes the two year deadline pointless as it lets the applying country chicken out as many times as it likes and then resubmit its application to leave until it gets the deal it likes.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited February 2017
    Imagine in 18 years time a girl or boy born this year sitting their Etihad sponsored GCSE politics paper

Q1. It has been said by Professor Tristram Hunt that David Cameron "was totally responsible for the break up of the United Kingdom". Revisionist historian the late Boris Johnson in his book 'The Greatest Foreign Secretary Never To Have Become Prime Minister' said The real culprit was Theresa May 'who simply had no understanding of foreign affairs'. Were they both right?
  • Options
    Excellent Don. That is my hope as a fervent remoaner that negotiations will prove so tortuous that the Tories will start to split, again, over this and we will end up with another referendum where hopefully facts will overshadow the lies we had the first time round. £300m for the NHS. Bollocks.Immigration slashed. Bollocks.
  • Options
    Too much playground taunting here to tempt anyone to engage with the substance. May's behaviour with Trump was not "toadying" - if you want toadying, find some youtube footage of Blair, Brown and Cameron trying (severally, not jointly) to insert themselves into the presidential orifice.

I thought you said that bloke Smith Jones or whoever was going to be running Labour by now.
  • Options

A bit would surely only be 1 or 0?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Imagine in 18 years time a girl or boy born this year sitting their Etihad sponsored GCSE politics paper

Q1. It has been said by Professor Tristram Hunt that David Cameron "was totally responsible the break up of the United Kingdom". Revisionist historian the late Boris Johnson in his book 'The Greatest Foreign Secretary Never To Have Become Prime Minister' said The real culprit was Theresa May 'who simply had no understanding of foreign affairs'. Were they both right?

No, the correct answer is that the United Kingdom broke up because the People of Scotland willed it to be so. No other reason. Scotland will leave the UK, when, and only when, the People of Scotland vote in a referendum that it shall be so.
  • Options
    "an economic downturn"

I cannot recall one mainstream economic forecaster that made a forecast after June 23rd 2016 who has not revised upwards their forecasts for 2017.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Q1. It has been said by Professor Tristram Hunt that David Cameron "was totally responsible for the break up of the United Kingdom". Revisionist historian the late Boris Johnson in his book 'The Greatest Foreign Secretary Never To Have Become Prime Minister' said The real culprit was Theresa May 'who simply had no understanding of foreign affairs'. Were they both right?

There will be no politics paper in 20 years time. All written materials will be either consistent with the Koran, hence superfluous, or inconsistent with it, hence heretical.
  • Options

Cheeky!
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger, more importantly, have you published your Oscar forecasts yet?
    I saw lala land last week and it was excellent, but what do I know!
  • Options
    valleyboy said:

Excellent Don. That is my hope as a fervent remoaner that negotiations will prove so tortuous that the Tories will start to split, again, over this and we will end up with another referendum where hopefully facts will overshadow the lies we had the first time round. £300m for the NHS. Bollocks.Immigration slashed. Bollocks.

If A50 is not reversible (see my comments above) it doesnt even matter if the Tories lose a vote of confidence, the government (quite likely the Eurosceptic Corbyn to be fair) has to continue the negotiation, and then either accept the deal, or exit to WTO.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    FPT

chestnut said:

Brexit Voting Breakdown:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38762034

Shetland (Whalsay and South Unst) 81% for Leave.

How many wards are 50%+ graduate?? I mean, really?
    It is also interesting to see just how many wards in Liverpool, Leeds and Manchester were actually Leave.
  • Options
    The question that these 'Best of Three and this one counts double' types need to answer is: what question do they want the public to answer?

Assuming that A50 is not revocable (which is arguable and will no doubt end up at the CJEU but which to my mind seems contrary to any reasonable reading of the Treaty), then the only viable answers are:

1. Take the deal as on the table
    2. Instruct the government to go back for more.
    3. Leave without a deal.

Depending on the timing, option 2 may not be practical and even if there is time, it might not deliver anything. In which case the public would still be left with Leave Hard and Leave Harder as the options and pretending anything else would be a fraud.
  • Options

Am I right in thinking Don Brind's sympathies actually lie with the Remainers and minimal Brexit?

When will Labour's national polling drop under 20 points? 2017 or 2018?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,239
    edited February 2017
    FPT but relevant here:

Southern Observer said:

The interesting piece is surely the strong performance of the Eurozone, confirmed by the recent PMIs. With the UK's biggest export market performing more strongly than expected, lots of private borrowing and a beneficial exchange rate, no wonder the UK economy is performing above expectation.

I said:

I agree with this, indeed the strong EZ PMIs were one of the reasons that I was happy to take the bet on growth figures with Robert. The EZ has generally been a drag on our growth since 2010 and it has the capacity to disappoint again but at the moment it does look promising.

So did this: http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/economy/schauble-warns-against-punishing-britain-and-losing-out-on-the-city/ar-AAmDp4S?li=AA54rU&ocid=iehp

Schauble repeating his warning that restricting access to the skills and services of London would be bad for the EU economy and should be avoided if possible. The recognition that the skills available there simply don't exist on the continent is particularly telling.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    FPT on Health Care

I've recently had experiences with both public and private healthcare in the UK and find both are lacking.

On the private side, charging for every little thing becomes irritating as the bills never seem to end (thank God for insurance), even to the point of charging for physiotherapist time when showed how to use crutches (I already knew)

On the Public side, the interminable delays in getting access to treatment, although when provided it is excellent. A bit over the top in what was given even.

I can see a happy medium but that won't suit either side of the political debate.
  • Options

There are only 10 kinds of people who understand binary - those who do and those who don't.
  • Options
    valleyboy said:

The latest line from the Leavers is that this was a suggestion not a commitment:

https://twitter.com/IsabelOakeshott/status/828200628769939457

Which is imaginative, but what Single-Source Oakeshott forgets is that in fact Vote Leave published a Brexit framework (what you or I would call a manifesto) which unambiguously built in a bill for giving additional funding for the NHS:

http://www.voteleavetakecontrol.org/a_framework_for_taking_back_control_and_establishing_a_new_uk_eu_deal_after_23_june.html

"Legislation to be introduced in subsequent sessions will include:

National Health Service (Funding Target) Bill. This would require that by the next general election, the NHS receives a £100 million per week real-terms cash transfusion over and above current plans. This will be paid for by savings from the UK’s contributions to the EU budget and other savings from leaving (e.g. we will not pay the billions that the ECJ is ordering us to pay to multinational companies trying to avoid UK taxes)."

Not much of a suggestion about that.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,930
    edited February 2017
    So much wishful hoping from Don. It will be messy at times; toys will be thrown and tantrums will be had, but a deal will be done. The UK is a G8 economy on Europe's doorstep, the EU is our biggest export market. Over in America an unstable protectionist is looking to pick fights with all and sundry; and cannot be relied on as a friend. However much cliff-edge zealots in Westminster and Brussels might hate to admit it, we need each other. Once the French and German elections are out of the way, it will all get a bit more grown-up. Unless Le Pen wins. If that happens, all bets are off.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, did May ever say the NHS would get £350m?

Attack Boris by all means. But holding people responsible for commitments they never made and assuming all Leavers had and have a single perspective is sillier than a mongoose wearing a fez.

Mr. Herdson, quite agree.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Brind,

The fear of some Brexiteers (not mine) is that Labour, in league with the more fanatical Remainers will insist on amendments which may not be do-able. And then say it's our Brexit or no Brexit, hoping to reverse the referendum result.

Their cunning plan is to insist that whatever Mrs May negotiates is so unbearable that a new referendum must be introduced. Alternatively, they can delay things long enough for the economy to falter (for whatever reason) and blame on Brexit. Then ask for a rethink i.e. a referendum. We're democrats, you see.

That looks too transparent for me. I know they believe the Leavers are thickos, but really?

I think the idea is to complain endlessly about whatever is negotiated and try to claim political capital as a result. We'd have got a much better deal . You're sacrificed jobs and people because you're incompetent.

What's your view?
  • Options

Attack Boris by all means. But holding people responsible for commitments they never made and assuming all Leavers had and have a single perspective is sillier than a mongoose wearing a fez.

Vote Leave Avoid Responsibility.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
  • Options
    Damn I was one of the very few people to post on-topic on the previous post, and got caught by the thread change!

I'm not quite sure what Don is saying, but I think it is the case that Labour will be able to unite a bit more once the Article 50 principle is sorted out and the discussion focuses on what deal the government should seek, and that conversely divisions amongst Conservative MPs will become more prominent.

Having said that, the idea that MPs can have any meaningful input to a complex negotiation, which by definition is all about trading concessions and trying to find common interests, seems to me to be absurd. The more MPs interfere, the worse any deal is likely to be, as our EU friends will of course exploit divisions and try to set parliament against the government. The PM clearly understands this, which is why she has quite rightly tried to keep full control over the process. It is much to be regretted that this is being chipped away at, and very odd that some of those MPs who wanted us to Remain are the ones trying to sabotage a deal.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    edited February 2017

The question that these 'Best of Three and this one counts double' types need to answer is: what question do they want the public to answer?

Assuming that A50 is not revocable (which is arguable and will no doubt end up at the CJEU but which to my mind seems contrary to any reasonable reading of the Treaty), then the only viable answers are:

1. Take the deal as on the table
    2. Instruct the government to go back for more.
    3. Leave without a deal.

Depending on the timing, option 2 may not be practical and even if there is time, it might not deliver anything. In which case the public would still be left with Leave Hard and Leave Harder as the options and pretending anything else would be a fraud.

Ahem.

This was always the case and was pointed out by some (ie me) on here. The idiot Clegg (who otherwise I have some degree of respect for) and others want another referendum on Tezza's deal.

But there would quite obviously not be time for anything else plus why on earth would the EU agree to renegotiate.

So all another referendum would be doing would be handing the fruitcakes an opportunity to vote for WTO, or as you put it, harder Brexit.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, May didn't vote Leave. And there were many disparate groups who voted that way, just as there were for Remain (from reluctant Remainers who thought the economic aspects worth the political sacrifice, through to full-blown federalists).

Are you pulling my leg to be a tinker, or genuinely so grumpy that the Great Unwashed disagreed with the serried ranks of the political Establishment?
  • Options

valleyboy said:

The latest line from the Leavers is that this was a suggestion not a commitment:

Which is imaginative, but what Single-Source Oakeshott forgets is that in fact Vote Leave published a Brexit framework (what you or I would call a manifesto) which unambiguously built in a bill for giving additional funding for the NHS:

http://www.voteleavetakecontrol.org/a_framework_for_taking_back_control_and_establishing_a_new_uk_eu_deal_after_23_june.html

National Health Service (Funding Target) Bill. This would require that by the next general election, the NHS receives a £100 million per week real-terms cash transfusion over and above current plans. This will be paid for by savings from the UK’s contributions to the EU budget and other savings from leaving (e.g. we will not pay the billions that the ECJ is ordering us to pay to multinational companies trying to avoid UK taxes)."

You do not understand English properly may not be a profitable retort to those wondering about the extra £350 million a week.

• Options

Damn I was one of the very few people to post on-topic on the previous post, and got caught by the thread change!

I'm not quite sure what Don is saying, but I think it is the case that Labour will be able to unite a bit more once the Article 50 principle is sorted out and the discussion focuses on what deal the government should seek, and that conversely divisions amongst Conservative MPs will become more prominent.

Having said that, the idea that MPs can have any meaningful input to a complex negotiation, which by definition is all about trading concessions and trying to find common interests, seems to me to be absurd. The more MPs interfere, the worse any deal is likely to be, as our EU friends will of course exploit divisions and try to set parliament against the government. The PM clearly understands this, which is why she has quite rightly tried to keep full control over the process. It is much to be regretted that this is being chipped away at, and very odd that some of those MPs who wanted us to Remain are the ones trying to sabotage a deal.

But...once the irrevocable A50 is triggered it might occur to Remainers that it would then become very much in their interest to support Mrs May and let her get the best deal we can. Might. Don't bet your pension on it though - there's a profound lack of real world nous on display for an alarmingly high % of MPs.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

valleyboy said:

But also £100m, not the £350m that certain tedious posters like to claim
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,832

What do you want me to do about it?
  • Options
    Mr. Topping, not only that, a second referendum would encourage the EU to offer the worst possible deal to frighten voters into changing their minds.
  • Options
    I didn't actually see Thornberry (I find a little of Andrew Marr goes a very long way with me) but I do agree with Don that this is the right pitch. Remainers who want to constantly refight a decision that has been made make themselves irrelevant. Those who accept the decision but seek to argue that Brexit should take a particular form, that the government should be focussed like a laser on the economic effects and that it is in everyone's interests, including the EU, to reduce any disruptions in trade to an absolute minimum have a very important role to play.

Both sides in a binary choice were inevitably a coalition with a wide range of views and opinions and I find trying to hold all leavers responsible for some of the irresponsible things said as wearisome as trying to tar all remainers with Osborne's emergency budget nonsense but I have little doubt that there is a very substantial majority in favour of leaving with as little disruption and change as possible. At the moment I think May and Hammond are aiming in that direction and it would be helpful if a consensus was to develop behind them that gave the strength to resist the zealots if the need arises (in fairness I have been pleasantly surprised by David Davis to date).
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,975
    Charles said:

valleyboy said:

TBH I often thing that people take notice of Ms IO because of her connections, rather than her deep thoughts
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Admit that the campaign was fought on xenophobia and bullshit, and be ashamed of that.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited February 2017
    Charles said:

valleyboy said:

So now we have two different fantasy figures, both promoted by Vote Leave and neither of which is capable of any defence.
  • Options

valleyboy said:

Interesting. Oakshott appears to have vacated the pedestal of objective journalism to become a brazen spinner for the Leave movement. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but that seems to put her scurrilous claims about Dave into context. These people were prepared to stop at nothing.
  • Options

How many bits make a byte in your world?

Whatever happened to duodecimals?
  • Options
    Mr Dancer,

"Are you pulling my leg to be a tinker, or genuinely so grumpy that the Great Unwashed disagreed with the serried ranks of the political Establishment?"

I suspect it's both.
  • Options

Mr. Topping, not only that, a second referendum would encourage the EU to offer the worst possible deal to frighten voters into changing their minds.

That would also make no sense. They couldn't change their minds on leaving. They could simply vote for deal (whatever flavour) or no deal (WTO).

If it was a dreadful deal then it depends on how up on the Ultimatum Game the electorate is.
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/06/uk-tourists-face-mobile-phone-roaming-charges-post-brexit-paper-says

Sorry about the cut’n paste, but according to the Guardian "British tourists will have to pay mobile phone operators’ roaming charges when they travel in the EU after Brexit, according to the European parliament committee that helped pioneer the legislation.”

Ought to get some more muesli, but it’s a cold morning for going out wearing sandals!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    DavidL said:

Remainers who want to constantly refight a decision that has been made make themselves irrelevant. Those who accept the decision but seek to argue that Brexit should take a particular form...

The form it should take is a realisation that it's a mistake based on a series of delusions and that it would be better to forget the whole idea and abandon Brexit in a moment of national catharsis.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Too much playground taunting here to tempt anyone to engage with the substance. May's behaviour with Trump was not "toadying" - if you want toadying, find some youtube footage of Blair, Brown and Cameron trying (severally, not jointly) to insert themselves into the presidential orifice.

I thought you said that bloke Smith Jones or whoever was going to be running Labour by now.

Smith and Jones - They could be popular.
  • Options
    We will leave the EU. Article 50 is not, in practice, reversible.

Such terms as the Tory negotiators, all anti-EU, achieve will be indistinguishable from the WTO fallback. Rejoining wouldbe blocked by at least one EU member, and would in the best case require accepting the Euro and the remnants of Schengen. A second referendum would not address any substantive question (and therefore would not happen).

And if, somehow, the Commons were to postpone Article 50, there would be demonstrations at a level to trigger the Civil Contingencies Act. In fact the Prime could make all votes matters of Confidence, and have a General Election which would give a Tory (and Leave) majority of at least 200.

I voted Remain. I was outvoted. Get on with it.
  • Options
    I'd always wondered how Mr Brind managed to keep his finger on the pulse of the typical Labour C2DE voter. Now I know:

My vantage point a couple of thousand metres up in the French Alps
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited February 2017

The chance of the court saying that A50 is reversible is remote because it would void the whole point of the article - and even if it did it would be completely politically unacceptable for the same reasons.

If A50 is reversible there is nothing to stop the EU offering the most objectionable deal possible in order to force a reversal.

Conversely, and more importantly for the EU, there is equally nothing to stop the UK enacting Article 50, negotiating for two years, deciding it doesn't like the deal, and reversing Article 50. Then the next year enacting Article 50 again and having another go at getting a better deal.

A reversible A50 makes the two year deadline pointless as it lets the applying country chicken out as many times as it likes and then resubmit its application to leave until it gets the deal it likes.

That depends how you reverse it. If it was "member states unanimously agree to postpone UK exit indefinitely" then you don't have the issue you mention where you can keep submitting the notification then unsubmitting it, because they're not obliged to do it next time. (Not that I think that's likely anyhow; The uncertainty and the loss of influence produce a serious cost any member state that's considering fucking around in the way you describe.)

What I would say is that although the other member states will most likely allow a retraction, they aren't going to want to get dicked around if the UK really hasn't made up its mind whether it wants to retract or not. In practice I think this means you need some kind of democratic mandate, preferably a new referendum, before it can be done. Domestic considerations point in the same direction: Basically you need a new referendum. In theory this is possible if the British government will allow it, but the timetables are tight and the sequencing is quite tricky.

And obviously all this is premised on British voters actually coming around to the view that Brexit is a stupid idea, and at this point there's no evidence that they will.
  • Options
    Mr. Topping, we might be talking at cross-purposes, I was talking about the daftness of someone (such as a Clegg) wanting a second referendum with the options being New Deal versus Remaining.

Mr. Evershed, it's Hexadecimal you need to be worried about (Reboot inside joke for anyone else who watched that...)
  • Options

Once upon a time (and therefore the answer to which I'm most emotionally connected) it was eight for a byte and four for a nibble.

I have however started counting my age in hexidecimal.
  • Options

Mr. Topping, we might be talking at cross-purposes, I was talking about the daftness of someone (such as a Clegg) wanting a second referendum with the options being New Deal versus Remaining.

Mr. Evershed, it's Hexadecimal you need to be worried about (Reboot inside joke for anyone else who watched that...)

Ah yes in which case yes you are right. It would be impractical and bonkers on many levels.
  • Options
    valleyboy said:

The only possible second referendum question is May's deal or exit with no deal at all. Remain is no longer an option.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Admit that the campaign was fought on xenophobia and bullshit, and be ashamed of that.
    But, I'm quite happy with the campaign and the outcome, and have nothing to be ashamed of.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Remainers who want to constantly refight a decision that has been made make themselves irrelevant. Those who accept the decision but seek to argue that Brexit should take a particular form...

The form it should take is a realisation that it's a mistake based on a series of delusions and that it would be better to forget the whole idea and abandon Brexit in a moment of national catharsis.
    It makes no difference if you choose to opt out of the real world choices facing our country. It makes more of a difference if significant parts of Parliament do the same. I would welcome a Labour party that was focussed on a "soft Brexit" (recognising the lack of precision in that term) because it would be in the national interest. May needs to know that Parliament is going to back the softer option if some in her own party stand against it. It will influence the way things proceed.
  • Options

And obviously all this is premised on British voters actually coming around to the view that Brexit is a stupid idea, and at this point there's no evidence that they will.

Stage one is for some of the leading figures to recant.

Kate Hoey seems a possible candidate to be first as she is already acting in a flaky manner, most recently suggesting that Brexit negotiations should take place in a neutral country so that we aren't in a 'hostile' environment.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited February 2017

valleyboy said:

The only possible second referendum question is May's deal or exit with no deal at all. Remain is no longer an option.
    The obvious way to do it would be to have a referendum on the deal, then if it's voted down you have another one on Un-Brexit vs Fuck Everything Let It All Burn. This depends on the rest of the EU being ready to accept an Un-Brexit, but they probably would; If there's one thing the whole EU can get behind, it's muddling along with the status quo.

However, a PM would have to be quite bold to let the voters play with matches in this way.
  • Options
    Just an aside, but I'm checking some Chinese place names for some writing research. The Metro population of Shanghai is 34 million people. That's staggering (it's 24m on a municipal basis). I could be wrong but I think it was circa 12-15m back in 2001 (when I visited). I remember the population was more than Portugal (9m) or the whole of Scandinavia, but it's still ballooned dramatically.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

But, I'm quite happy with the campaign and the outcome, and have nothing to be ashamed of.
    You asked me what I wanted you to do. I wasn't expecting you to be willing to comply. You seem entirely happy with fomenting fear of foreigners and using fairytale figures in order to achieve your victory. The country is less happy, more divided and more racist than a year ago. You see that as collateral damage that is worthwhile. I do not.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

May needs to know that Parliament is going to back the softer option if some in her own party stand against it. It will influence the way things proceed.

That's a given, but May has already ruled out a meaningful soft Brexit - the only soft option left depends on the EU offering her the moon on a stick option of having all the benefits of the single market with no ECJ and no freedom of movement.

In any case, being seen to be forcing a soft Brexit through a Remain parliament in advance of a General Election in which Tory leavers think they'll win a thumping majority would not do much for Tory unity.
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/06/uk-tourists-face-mobile-phone-roaming-charges-post-brexit-paper-says

Sorry about the cut’n paste, but according to the Guardian "British tourists will have to pay mobile phone operators’ roaming charges when they travel in the EU after Brexit, according to the European parliament committee that helped pioneer the legislation.”

Ought to get some more muesli, but it’s a cold morning for going out wearing sandals!

And presumably EU tourists will have to pay mobile phone operators roaming charges when they visit the UK? All 21.5 million of them.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Oh FFS.

BrExit willy waving and toy throwing again, with a definite subtext of Boohoohoo.

Later guys.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

You asked me what I wanted you to do. I wasn't expecting you to be willing to comply. You seem entirely happy with fomenting fear of foreigners and using fairytale figures in order to achieve your victory. The country is less happy, more divided and more racist than a year ago. You see that as collateral damage that is worthwhile. I do not.
    I'd do it all over again.
  • Options
    Mr Glenn,

"Kate Hoey seems a possible candidate to be first as she is already acting in a flaky manner,"

You obviously didn't see her response to the vote result on Article 50. She almost leapt in the air with glee.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited February 2017
    Scott_P said:
    Crass Underwhelming Nincompoops Together
  • Options
    Any discussion about second referendums which ignores the more pressing decision about whether SindyRef 2 can or should be blocked is wide of the mark.
  • Options

Charles said:

valleyboy said:

TBH I often thing that people take notice of Ms IO because of her connections, rather than her deep thoughts
    For me the twitter picture encourages me to take notice...
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited February 2017

Once upon a time (and therefore the answer to which I'm most emotionally connected) it was eight for a byte and four for a nibble.

The FIFA World Cup was hexadecimal in 1934 with 16 entrants.

Since then there has been inflation with 24 in 1982 and 32 in 1998.

FIFA now propose 48 in 2026.

Fancy Quadraginta octo decimal or quarantotto decimal anyone?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Past performance as a guide to future performance. What is Don Brind's accuracy in forecasting record?
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

wasn't it nybble?
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Glenn,

"Kate Hoey seems a possible candidate to be first as she is already acting in a flaky manner,"

You obviously didn't see her response to the vote result on Article 50. She almost leapt in the air with glee.

Precisely. She's turning into a neurotic wreck!
  • Options

DavidL said:

May needs to know that Parliament is going to back the softer option if some in her own party stand against it. It will influence the way things proceed.

That's a given, but May has already ruled out a meaningful soft Brexit - the only soft option left depends on the EU offering her the moon on a stick option of having all the benefits of the single market with no ECJ and no freedom of movement.
    I'm not sure she has, I think she still has room to do soft Brexit with free movement as a "transitional" deal, then let future Prime Ministers decide whether tomorrow ever comes.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Just an aside, but I'm checking some Chinese place names for some writing research. The Metro population of Shanghai is 34 million people. That's staggering (it's 24m on a municipal basis). I could be wrong but I think it was circa 12-15m back in 2001 (when I visited). I remember the population was more than Portugal (9m) or the whole of Scandinavia, but it's still ballooned dramatically.

Have a look at the development of Pudong from a almost literally green field site at the time you were there.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

But the Lord High Sparrow has said you must repent :-)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Don't you know when to genuflect before your moral superiors?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Not this garbage again. They were being somber rather than triumphalistic as their friend, party leader and PM had just resigned. What did you expect fist bumps and fireworks?
  • Options

DavidL said:

I'm not sure she has, I think she still has room to do soft Brexit with free movement as a "transitional" deal, then let future Prime Ministers decide whether tomorrow ever comes.

Yep - the White Paper gives more wriggle room on just about everything than the Great Hall of the People in Beijing.

• Options

Charles said:

valleyboy said:

So now we have two different fantasy figures, both promoted by Vote Leave and neither of which is capable of any defence.
    The £350m was the gross number. It was a tactical position to keep in the number in the headlines. The "Let's spend" was an indication of what could be done with the savings, although clearly this would mean terminating all other spending that the EU does and so very unlikely in practice. Not much worse than any political campaigning though ("24 hours to save the NHS!")

The £100m was a more worked through proposal and one that the Vote Leave people can be held accountable for. Not the government, mind, because VL isn't the government, but it would be reasonable to challenge anyone who signed up to the manifesto on the point. I doubt it would have much effect anyway.

So neither of them are fantasy figures, and both of them are capable of defence. I'll concede your point that they were both promoted by Vote Leave though ;)
  • Options

CD13 said:

Mr Glenn,

Precisely. She's turning into a neurotic wreck!
    Terrible thing, conscience.
  • Options

valleyboy said:

£100 million not £350mn. Which Gove ran his leadership campaign based on honouring.
  • Options
    Mr. Matt, think your timing is maybe a year or two off, as it was already enswankified when I visited. They had that distinctive structure (tripod ball thingummyjig) and one ridiculously tall tower (probably top 10 in the world at the time). But the skyline all over was festooned with cranes, so I can well believe the pace of change.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,916

valleyboy said:

Cameron should have outlined what he intended to do in the event of Leave winning. In the absence of that, all the Leave campaigns could do was suggest what could be done
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

And presumably EU tourists will have to pay mobile phone operators roaming charges when they visit the UK? All 21.5 million of them.
    Not only that but the roaming regulations already apply to the EEA, so there seems to be no obvious reason if it's not related to EU membership why the UK and EU can not agree to have a single mobile comms market. It's the very sort of bilateral deal we ought to be looking for after leaving the EU.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

There are only 10 kinds of people who understand binary - those who do and those who don't.
    ...and those who anticipated the joke being in base 3.
  • Options

obviously all this is premised on British voters actually coming around to the view that Brexit is a stupid idea, and at this point there's no evidence that they will.
    Because it's not. We are still fundamentally incompatible with their superstate direction of travel. Brexit is a necessary thing - imagine the violence and pain that would ensue a few years or decades down the line as we got ever further down the road to European socialist undemocratic serfdom. We got it spot on and dodged a bullet.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    F*ck me. More Brexit :).
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Patrick said:

We are still fundamentally incompatible with their superstate direction of travel.

The Commission response since the vote has simply confirmed how right we were to vote for Leave. I honestly think Remainers are in denial about where the EU is headed, because it completely undermines their already threadbare arguments.
  • Options
    John_M said:

What is wrong with another anti-Brexit article from a Remainer?
    We had a 2016 full of them so why should 2017 be any different?
    We should respect minority views.
    And laugh at them...
    :smile::smile::smile:
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

I think that promising in advance to accept the results in full is a bridge too far - the fact that a Commission is non-partisan doesn't mean that they are all-knowing, and they might propose something which would revolutionise the system but with disastrous flaws. However, a Royal Commission report creates a presumption in favour - parties would need to have very good reasons to oppose the conclusions.

I think that a few constraints would be necessary to get a fair chance of a broadly-accepted report, and also to give the Commission some sort of steer. That everyone should get free A&E care (Iassume that even UKIP would concede that even an illegal immigrant knocked down by a car should not be left to die) and most health care should be free at the point of use is probably generally accepted (how it's paid for is another matter), and that everyone should get some sort of housing option in old age even if they've spent their money unwisely (rather than saying "in that case you must sleep on the street") is another one. Perhaps there are a few more points on which prior agreement could be reached. I think social care needs to be in the mix as it's part of the problem as well as part of any solution.

The Commission might also propose that £X billion extra needed to be found from taxation or insurance, while leaving it to the parties to fight over how that should be raised - the choice between higher rate tax, standard rate tax, NI contributions and insurance payments is a legitimate political argument rather than a technical one.But the Commission could offer some reason to be confident that the books would then balance for the forseeable future, rather than just kicking the ball down the road.

And if we on here with our widely-different entrenched opinions can agree in principle that this would be helpful, maybe it would command wider support too. We all see the problem.

I just don't see how you can separate the politics from this.
    How much tax you should pay, what health services you get, who gets them, who provides them, hows it all paid for... These are fundamentally political questions.

Proposing x billion extra? We already have plenty of independent think tanks and experts who make estimates.
  • Options
    41 gun salute for HMQ 65 years - I was only 9 when she became Queen. Amazing service to Country no matter how you see her
  • Options

Any discussion about second referendums which ignores the more pressing decision about whether SindyRef 2 can or should be blocked is wide of the mark.

SindyRef 2 is innocent. OK.
  • Options
    glw said:

Patrick said:

We are still fundamentally incompatible with their superstate direction of travel.

The Commission response since the vote has simply confirmed how right we were to vote for Leave. I honestly think Remainers are in denial about where the EU is headed, because it completely undermines their already threadbare arguments.
    Tusk buried any idea of the status quo (and incidentally any chance of selling staying in EU to UK voters) a couple of weeks ago

We must therefore take assertive and spectacular steps that would change the collective emotions and revive the aspiration to raise European integration to the next level. In order to do this, we must restore the sense of external and internal security as well as socio-economic welfare for European citizens. This requires a definitive reinforcement of the EU external borders; improved cooperation of services responsible for combating terrorism and protecting order and peace within the border-free area; an increase in defence spending; strengthening the foreign policy of the EU as a whole as well as better coordinating individual member states' foreign policies; and last but not least fostering investment, social inclusion, growth, employment, reaping the benefits of technological change and convergence in both the euro area and the whole of Europe.

http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2017/01/31-tusk-letter-future-europe/

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

Scott_P said:
    Not this garbage again. They were being somber rather than triumphalistic as their friend, party leader and PM had just resigned. What did you expect fist bumps and fireworks?
    It's just Remoaners living in the past. And to think, they had the gall to accuse Leavers of wanting to turn the clock back!
  • Options

If Nicola wins, Brexit will become politically impossible.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Yep - the White Paper gives more wriggle room on just about everything than the Great Hall of the People in Beijing.

You can actually put it the other way in that if she was planning on doing a soft-brexit "transitional" deal, she'd be talking very hard-brexit, to:

1) Persuade the hard-liners that she's on their side and they'll totally get their hard Brexit later, honest
    2) Make the change to the "final" outcome look very dramatic and disruptive, so nobody could argue that it didn't need a transition.
  • Options
    Mr. NorthWales, indeed, HM is splendid. Huzzah for the Queen!
  • Options
    valleyboy said:

Wishful thinking twice over. The Tories split massively during the campaign, and quite bitterly at times. The party has unified since: there is no schism and it is highly unlikely that there will be one, not least because most Remain Tories were on that side for pragmatic reasons rather than because they believe in The Project, and most Leave Tories recognise that getting a reasonable deal with the EU may mean continuing to make some payments, for example. Ken Clarke and Bill Cash will no doubt be dissatisfied with the final deal but it'll be something that 90% of the party will be able to unite around.

And the expectation that a second referendum would be conduced more on facts than lies (when to both sides, your 'fact' is my 'lie'), is a triumph of hope over experience.
  • Options

If Nicola wins, Brexit will become politically impossible.
    Why; would have thought it was easier.
  • Options
    On topic, Ian Warren aka Election Data has produced a partial map of the Brexit vote by ward:

https://twitter.com/election_data/status/828555916677095424

From which he has made the following observation:

https://twitter.com/election_data/status/828574327293489152
    https://twitter.com/election_data/status/828574499029319680
  • Options
    John_M said:

Politics is Brexit, through to 2020 at least.
This discussion has been closed.