Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mrs. May’s government suffers and second defeat in the Lords o

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mrs. May’s government suffers and second defeat in the Lords on the BREXIT bill

.@faisalislam has the latest as the Brexit Bill is defeated for a second time by the House of Lords https://t.co/Z5blfgWybW

Read the full story here

Comments

• Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited March 2017
    This is a perfect double whammy from David Cameron: his EURA 2015 got us into this ungodly mess, and his FTPA 2010 closes off the most obvious method of resolving it. He is on course to overtake Blair as the most damaging PM since the war.

Another thing that bloody tim turns out to have been right about.
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    FPT:-

I think/hope it means that, if Parliament vetoes the deal May comes back with, she will be forced to go back to the table and negotiate a better one, rather than it defaulting to "no deal" and us crashing out.

I really can't see what the problem is. Surely no-one actually thinks Britain coming out on WTO terms, without any kind of deal with the EU, would be a good option? May being told her first deal isn't good enough and that she has to go back and do it again would mean she would lose some face personally, but why should avoiding her losing face take priority over getting the best deal for the country?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Danny565 said:

I think/hope it means that, if Parliament vetoes the deal May comes back with, she will be forced to go back to the table and negotiate a better one, rather than it defaulting to "no deal" and us crashing out.

I really can't see what the problem is. Surely no-one actually thinks Britain coming out on WTO terms, without any kind of deal with the EU, would be a good option? May being told her first deal isn't good enough and that she has to go back and do it again would mean she would lose some face personally, but why should avoiding her losing face take priority over getting the best deal for the country?

Doesn't that imply that the negotiators won't be seeking the best possible deal in the first instance? Also it could lead to the EU to give a really awful deal so that Parliament never approves Brexit.
  • JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    Danny565 said:

The best deal for the country is subjective, is it not? The Remainers say being members of the customs union and the single market are the best deal, indeed staying members of the EU is in the best interests of the country, according to them.

This is nothing more than a proposed veto, we all know that.
  • CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    Mark Deen writing for Bloomberg says that AFP say that Le Pen has said she will resign if she fails to win popular backing for Frexit in a referendum.

I don't believe this. Frexit isn't her policy.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,837
    Danny565 said:

I think the problem is that the EU will tell us that when we go back to the table, we can either take or leave the deal that has been offered.
    RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Doesn't that imply that the negotiators won't be seeking the best possible deal in the first instance? Also it could lead to the EU to give a really awful deal so that Parliament never approves Brexit.
    Spot on, Rob. The Lords have no interest in any kind of deal - they want to wreck Brexit altogether.
    Third reading is tonight, when does it head back to the Commons? Couldn't see that on the Parliament website after a quick search.
  • But hooray for Parliamentary sovereignty?
    SeanT said:

Jason said:

Danny565 said:

The best deal for the country is subjective, is it not? The Remainers say being members of the customs union and the single market are the best deal, indeed staying members of the EU is in the best interests of the country, according to them.

This is nothing more than a proposed veto, we all know that.
    Yep

The deal will be what we agree with the EU. So what happens if the UK parliament says Nah, this is crap, go back and get a better deal and the EU says (as it will), Tough Titty, this is it,

Does TMay then go back to the UK parliament which then demands she go back to the EU which then says Nah, this is it, so she has to go back to the UK blah blah

Clearly this is what will happen. Unless, of course, MPs are actually asking for a way to thwart Brexit entirely, a way for them to quietly ask TMay to go back to the EU and say, OK, we stay.

That is what a meaningful vote *really* means, which is why TMay will come under intense pressure to resist, and we could have a General Election if she can't impose her will on the Commons and Lords next week.
    Be interesting to see how many Labour MPs vote for these amendments in the Commons. We will know, once and for all, which side of the fence they sit. Then Mrs May can call the election and gently remind all of those Leave areas with Labour MPs which way they voted.
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Jason said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Spot on, Rob. The Lords have no interest in any kind of deal - they want to wreck Brexit altogether.
    Hurrah ! That is why we have an unelected Upper House. They need not worry about small matters like elections.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706
    Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

I think the problem is that the EU will tell us that when we go back to the table, we can either take or leave the deal that has been offered.
    One thing is for certain, Tory voters and members and MPs will demand immigration controls, May will not last long as PM and Tory leader if she abandons that commitment to stay in the single market. Most likely she agrees a job offer requirement and limited budget contributions to the EU for some bilateral agreements and if the EU refuse that she will just walk away and call a general election on going to WTO terms, if the EU agree she will try and get it through Parliament and then get the voters to endorse it in an election
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    RobD said:

Third reading is tonight, when does it head back to the Commons? Couldn't see that on the Parliament website after a quick search.

According to Sky it is expected to return to the Commons on Monday afternoon and potentially to the Lords on Monday evening: http://news.sky.com/story/brexit-bill-defeated-for-second-time-as-lords-call-for-meaningful-vote-10793889
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The cry of the Augustinian Leavers:

"Lords give me Parliamentary sovereignty but not yet."
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    FPT

The Lords amendment is moronic.

It says that

"The prior approval of both Houses of Parliament shall also be required in relation to any decision by the Prime Minister that the United Kingdom shall leave the European Union without an agreement as to the applicable terms."

That decision is not in the purview of either the Government or Parliament. If we get to the end of the two year negotiating period and there is no deal then it is a decision of all 28 countries including the UK as to whether that negotiation continues or we leave. If any one of those countries decides they want us out then that is it. No matter what the Government or the Lords want we will be out.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

But hooray for Parliamentary sovereignty?

Actually no. Parliamentary sovereignty has never extended into Treaty making which is rightly the purview of the Executive
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

:D:D:D

Parliament can't vote to halt gravity. Or make pi = 3 exactly.

Nor can Parliament change the fact that if we don't get a deal then we cease to be members two years after Article 50 is invoked. Parliament already approved that when it ratified Lisbon and it will take 27 other nations agreement to change that.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,837

Full parliamentary sovereignty & scrutiny will be seen and done once the bill is passed for royal assent.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Cyan said:

Mark Deen writing for Bloomberg says that AFP say that Le Pen has said she will resign if she fails to win popular backing for Frexit in a referendum.

She has said she wants to negotiate leaving the Euro, and that if the EU won't agree, she'll hold a referendum on leaving the EU. If that went against her, she'd then stand down:

http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-actu/2017/03/07/97001-20170307FILWWW00230-le-pen-quitterait-le-pouvoir-en-cas-de-non-a-un-referendum-sur-la-sortie-de-l-euro.php

FPT

It says that

"The prior approval of both Houses of Parliament shall also be required in relation to any decision by the Prime Minister that the United Kingdom shall leave the European Union without an agreement as to the applicable terms."

That decision is not in the purview of either the Government or Parliament. If we get to the end of the two year negotiating period and there is no deal then it is a decision of all 28 countries including the UK as to whether that negotiation continues or we leave. If any one of those countries decides they want us out then that is it. No matter what the Government or the Lords want we will be out.

Correct. It is fairly close to establishing the value of π by legislation.
    Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

They were ALWAYS going to do that, pour l'encouragement des autres....
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    Charles said:

Actually no. Parliamentary sovereignty has never extended into Treaty making which is rightly the purview of the Executive
    And Executive privilege does not extend into lawmaking, which Brexit is.
  • RobD said:

Sky say debate in HOC on monday
  • ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

Cyan said:

She has said she wants to negotiate leaving the Euro, and that if the EU won't agree, she'll hold a referendum on leaving the EU. If that went against her, she'd then stand down:

http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-actu/2017/03/07/97001-20170307FILWWW00230-le-pen-quitterait-le-pouvoir-en-cas-de-non-a-un-referendum-sur-la-sortie-de-l-euro.php

Smart short term politics (makes her look like someone who values the 'sovereignty of the people' above all else), but risky for her long term goal, if it ever came to a vote, people would be tempted to give her a kicking and force her out (hence why Cameron tried to convince us that he wouldn't resign either way)
    Ishmael_Z said:

FPT

It says that

Jinx.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,728

Parliament can't vote to halt gravity. Or make pi = 3 exactly.

Nor can Parliament change the fact that if we don't get a deal then we cease to be members two years after Article 50 is invoked. Parliament already approved that when it ratified Lisbon and it will take 27 other nations agreement to change that.
    The Indiana state legislature did once actually make a law that the value of pi was 4.

Charles said:

Won't that be the great repeal act?
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Smart short term politics (makes her look like someone who values the 'sovereignty of the people' above all else), but risky for her long term goal, if it ever came to a vote, people would be tempted to give her a kicking and force her out (hence why Cameron tried to convince us that he wouldn't resign either way)

True, but on the other hand she might think it would strengthen her hand in any negotiations over France leaving the Euro.

Either way, it would make Brexit look like a teddy-bears' picnic.
    Ishmael_Z said:

Well... if we legislated that we were abandoning base 10 and moving to base 3.1415... then the value of Pi would be precisely 1.0 - set by legislation.

I grant that integer counting could become tricky but perhaps the overall educational level of the population could be increased if we needed A-levels to count out our change

:)

Charles said:

There is a vote triggering Article 50 which is right. Parliament is now overreaching by trying to tie the executive's hands

Ishmael_Z said:

FPT

It says that

Jinx.
    I was going to say "snap" - must be a generational thing.

The Indiana Bill was really about squaring the circle, which aiui you can't do because pi is irrational; it therefore stipulated by implication that pi=3.2.
    Charles said:

Charles said:

There is a vote triggering Article 50 which is right. Parliament is now overreaching by trying to tie the executive's hands
    There seems, in all seriousness, to be a misunderstanding about the nature of this bill. It should only be a simple clause to exit the EU. Everything else that they are trying to tack on would be better served by motions or resolutions.

We must therefore conclude either that their Lordships are very stupid and do not realise the implications of what they are doing, or they are supremely Machiavellian and for whatever reason are trying to force WTO rules on us.

I don't think they will win prizes for intellect...
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Parliament is sovereign not the executive. It really doesn't get much simpler than that.
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

FPT

It says that

Jinx.

The Indiana Bill was really about squaring the circle, which aiui you can't do because pi is irrational; it therefore stipulated by implication that pi=3.2.
    A constant is irrational? That makes no sense.
    ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

FPT

It says that

Jinx.

pi is irrational. The term "constant" here means nothing more than "it is an interesting number"
    JackW said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Parliament is sovereign not the executive. It really doesn't get much simpler than that.
    Parliament doesn't negotiate treaties.
    JackW said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Surely the Sovereign is Sovereign, my Lord? :wink:

Again though, it does raise the issue of where ultimate power does or should lie - with Parliament or the people. At the moment legally it appears to be Parliament.
    JackW said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Isn't HM sovereign in our system?
    The journalist talking about the budget on C4 News is bloody annoying. Stupid presentation style which detracts terribly from what she is saying. Also for some reason could not refer to Hammond as the Chancellor but repeatedly called him 'Spreadsheet Phil'.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/07/solar-power-growth-worldwide-us-china-uk-europe

"Globally there is now 305GW of solar power capacity, up from around 50GW in 2010 and virtually nothing at the turn of the millennium."

Isn't the sun shining brightly ?
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    edited March 2017
    Let's have a general election and give TM and three digit majority! :smiley:
    edited March 2017

Cyan said:

She has said she will hold a referendum on leaving or remaining regardless of whether negotiations on the French terms of membership succeed or not. It's not just leaving the euro she wants to negotiate, but also other issues of "sovereignty", including "territorial", i.e. immigration. She wants a Deal Much Bigger Than Dave's. This is all in her manifesto.

Among the most important and scariest other points in it are nos. 2 and 5: lots more scope for referendums, or as they used to be called, plebiscites. Half a million signatures and there'll be a referendum. Want to ban the hijab? Or the Koran? Or bring back the death penalty?
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

FPT

It says that

Jinx.

pi is irrational. The term "constant" here means nothing more than "it is an interesting number"
    Ah I see. I had not understood that 'irrational number' is a technical term. I thought it meant 'nonsensical number'.

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Except now the Lords want it to be a take it or take it deal. That is the effect of their stupid amendment.
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

FPT

It says that

Jinx.

Ah I see. I had not understood that 'irrational number' is a technical term. I thought it meant 'nonsensical number'.
    Ah, it just means you can't express it as a fraction.
    JackW said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Parliament is only Sovereign within the borders of our country. It has absolutely no control over what the EU decides it wants to do.
    edited March 2017
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

FPT

It says that

Jinx.

The mathematical meaning of irrational is that the number cannot be expressed as the ratio of two integers.

One half (1 / 2 ) is the ratio of 1 to 2. It is a rational number. There are no numbers 'p' and 'q' that have a ratio that gives Pi. 22/7 is close and 355/113 is better but they are poor approximations
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

FPT

It says that

Jinx.

Thank you for the clarification, I am now with you again. I was once asked if I could teach A-level maths. Since I proved on the whiteboard that two and two make nine, the offer has not been repeated for some reason.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,952

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Except now the Lords want it to be a take it or take it deal. That is the effect of their stupid amendment.
    They are not making a great case for their incisive minds being used for the scrutiny of legislation.
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

FPT

It says that

Jinx.

Thank you for the clarification, I am now with you again. I was once asked if I could teach A-level maths. Since I proved on the whiteboard that two and two make nine, the offer has not been repeated for some reason.
    Note that they didn't ask if you would be any good at it... :D I can't remember if we covered irrational numbers at A-level.. must have done.

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

They are not making a great case for their incisive minds being used for the scrutiny of legislation.
    It was always clear that there is barely enough time to arrange one poorly constructed deal. That is one of the reasons I expect Brexit to go badly. I cannot see how we avoid WTO quotas and tariffs because I do not think the deal we need can be arranged in the time we have.
    Cyan said:

Half a million signatures and there'll be a referendum. Want to ban the hijab? Or the Koran? Or bring back the death penalty?

And Dupont-Aignan has exactly the same policy.
    Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Parliament may do as it pleases and should it wish instruct the government as it sees fit.
    edited March 2017
    surbiton said:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/07/solar-power-growth-worldwide-us-china-uk-europe

"Globally there is now 305GW of solar power capacity, up from around 50GW in 2010 and virtually nothing at the turn of the millennium."

Yes. Its output is approximately 40,000 trillion GW (4x10^26 W)
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

There seems, in all seriousness, to be a misunderstanding about the nature of this bill. It should only be a simple clause to exit the EU. Everything else that they are trying to tack on would be better served by motions or resolutions.

We must therefore conclude either that their Lordships are very stupid and do not realise the implications of what they are doing, or they are supremely Machiavellian and for whatever reason are trying to force WTO rules on us.

They're trying to stymie the process without actually saying do.
    RobD said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

The difference between being the Sovereign and being sovereign.

Think Charles I and all that unseemly business.
    edited March 2017
    snip
    RobD said:

Note that they didn't ask if you would be any good at it... :D I can't remember if we covered irrational numbers at A-level.. must have done.

I would hope that they did cover it at A level as it is very basic mathematics

JackW said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Parliament is only Sovereign within the borders of our country. It has absolutely no control over what the EU decides it wants to do.
    That wasn't the point @Charles and I were discussing.
    JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

The difference between being the Sovereign and being sovereign.

Think Charles I and all that unseemly business.
    Yes, not proposing HM actually get involved, just wondered from a purely legal standpoint.
    JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Parliament may do as it pleases and should it wish instruct the government as it sees fit.
    That's why referendums have rightly been called “a device of dictators and demagogues” since they seek to bypass constitutional government.

RobD said:

Hm, I wouldn't call irrational numbers very basic mathematics!

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

It was always clear that there is barely enough time to arrange one poorly constructed deal. That is one of the reasons I expect Brexit to go badly. I cannot see how we avoid WTO quotas and tariffs because I do not think the deal we need can be arranged in the time we have.
    The Lords amendment makes that both more likely and more painful.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,550
    Does this not make a snap election significantly more likely ?
    A lot easier for remainer tories to rebel on this than the A50 vote ?
    JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

It should heed the example of Canute who set out to prove to his advisors that Sovereignty has its limits and they rest on the shores of our Kingdom.
    GIN1138 said:

Let's have a general election and give TM and three digit majority! :smiley:

Or the electorate give her a two digit signal .... :smile:
    edited March 2017

JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

That's why referendums have rightly been called “a device of dictators and demagogues” since they seek to bypass constitutional government.
    Wonder if you would say the same had the referendum gone the other way... :p

surbiton said:

But we are only interested in the amount that reaches the Earth and , maybe, the Moon. That will still be quite a lot.
  • Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

They're trying to stymie the process without actually saying do.
    It reminds me of a Blackadder quote.
    About as much talent for disguising it as a giraffe in dark glasses trying to get into a polar bears only golf club.
    edited March 2017
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

That wasn't the point @Charles and I were discussing.
    It is the only point that matters here, at least as far as the 4th clause of the amendment is concerned.

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

The Lords amendment makes that both more likely and more painful.
    I am not disputing that.
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

But we are only interested in the amount that reaches the Earth and , maybe, the Moon. That will still be quite a lot.
    Where's you ambition... we could build a Dyson sphere and capture it all.
  • chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    When people refer to 'elites' the idea of a 'House of Lords' fits the bill perfectly.

They are writing the chamber's suicide note.
    JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

They referred the question to the people who instructed them to exit the EU. It is up to the Executive to Execute that instruction (the clue is in the name).

Certain members of Parliament are seeking to overurn the decision of the people. Since their authority descended from the people that is presumtuous in the extreme.

JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I don't subscribe to that view although with the exception of nation forming, as with SINDY, I do not approve of referendums.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Nigelb said:

Maybe Theresa May will see how the Tories do at the local elections before deciding whether to hold an election this year as Mrs Thatcher did in the 1980s.
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    RobD said:

snip

snap
    Charles said:

They referred the question to the people who instructed them to exit the EU. It is up to the Executive to Execute that instruction (the clue is in the name).

Certain members of Parliament are seeking to overurn the decision of the people. Since their authority descended from the people that is presumtuous in the extreme.

Since their authority descends from the people it has equal weight. If the people don't like it, they can throw them out.

It's perplexing why Leavers feel such a sense of urgency about getting out of the EU. They do not fear some coming European war or something of equal gravity. No, it's because they know that popular consent for Brexit will not last, and they want to make sure it is a done deal before the people can speak again.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921

Charles said:

Since their authority descends from the people it has equal weight. If the people don't like it, they can throw them out.

It's perplexing why Leavers feel such a sense of urgency about getting out of the EU. They do not fear some coming European war or something of equal gravity. No, it's because they know that popular consent for Brexit will not last, and they want to make sure it is a done deal before the people can speak again.
    No. It is because silly attitudes and posts like this will end when we leave.
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Hm, I wouldn't call irrational numbers very basic mathematics!
    You should have been an ancient Greek - they hated irrationals

• Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755

JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Yet, referenda are the norm in plenty of democratic countries.
    Mortimer said:

No. It is because silly attitudes and posts like this will end when we leave.

Wishful thinking. :)
    Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

One person, one vote.

What could be fairer?
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    AndyJS said:

Nigelb said:

Maybe Theresa May will see how the Tories do at the local elections before deciding whether to hold an election this year as Mrs Thatcher did in the 1980s.
    Perhaps she'll have a meeting with MarkSenior to see what he makes of it all...
    Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Incorrect.

The referendum was advisory and did not bind Parliament in theory, albeit that is the practical effect of the vote. However MP's are not delegates of their electorate and may chose to ignore (at their peril) the views of their voters.

The executive (HMG) serves at the will of the Sovereign, it having the confidence of the House of Commons which it why we note parliamentary sovereignty and not executive sovereignty.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232
    May needs to do the following:

Abolish the House of Lords.

Give herself the power to issue Trump-like executive orders that are completely impervious to legal challenge.

Make the advocacy of anything other than the hardest of Brexits a hate crime.

Is there anyone who'd object who couldn't be dismissed as a bitter liberal? A touch drastic perhaps, but it would make Theresa's life a lot easier.

JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Funny, Switzerland is not renowned as a land of dictators and demagogues. It strikes me that the only people who object to referendums are those who don't like people to have the chance to have their say.
    chestnut said:

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

One person, one vote.

What could be fairer?
    That is no argument for having a free-for-all with referendums.
    Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Referenda are fine if they are part of a constitutional system like in Switzerland. Ours is strapped-on one when we have an inconvenient problem. Harold Wilson needed to silence half of the Labour Party. Cameron expected to do likewise. The Liberals were given a scrap for AV. Scotland's was the more the serious one.

The Brexit one has become a dog's breakfast. It is perfectly possible for the people:

1. to want to leave the EU, but

2. not like the terms of leaving negotiated by the government.

It appears they have no choice in the matter then.

JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Funny, Switzerland is not renowned as a land of dictators and demagogues. It strikes me that the only people who object to referendums are those who don't like people to have the chance to have their say.
    Switzerland is mature enough that when the result of a referendum is frustrated, for whatever reason, those in power don't get called 'enemies of the people'.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Make the advocacy of anything other than the hardest of Brexits a hate crime.

Is SeanT going to be minister of propaganda?

JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

But Swiss people actually take decisions. Like tax rate etc.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Will the Arsenal bet pay out?

Charles said:

The people have delegated their authority so Parliament is normally sovereign.

But Parliament elected to seek instruction and so surrendered their rights.

edited March 2017
    surbiton said:

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Referenda are fine if they are part of a constitutional system like in Switzerland. Ours is strapped-on one when we have an inconvenient problem. Harold Wilson needed to silence half of the Labour Party. Cameron expected to do likewise. The Liberals were given a scrap for AV. Scotland's was the more the serious one.

The Brexit one has become a dog's breakfast. It is perfectly possible for the people:

1. to want to leave the EU, but

2. not like the terms of leaving negotiated by the government.

It appears they have no choice in the matter then.

They can vote for a party that pledges a referendum on rejoining at the general election after.
  • *Buffs nails*

My 99/1 tip is now trading at 37/1
    surbiton said:

Referenda are fine if they are part of a constitutional system like in Switzerland.

The 2009 Swiss one on banning new minarets was a disgrace. Expect more of the same across Europe.

• ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,920

JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

500 years of peace, and all they've been able to come up with is the cuckoo clock ...
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Charles said:

Charles said:

The people have delegated their authority so Parliament is normally sovereign.

But Parliament elected to seek instruction and so surrendered their rights.

No they didn't, or the act would have said so (it may have been the intent, but the act still didn't say so). They are, quite sensibly, deferring to the public's wishes given the reality of the referendum, but that is not, I would argue, the same as 'surrendering' their rights. There is a difference between choosing not to exercise a right and surrendering it.
This discussion has been closed.