Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why I am not playing budget bingo this year

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited March 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why I am not playing budget bingo this year

William Hill budget bingo pic.twitter.com/9z1SjyOJo8

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited March 2017
    1st, like Philip Hammonds budget
  • Options
    I do like Phil Hammond.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I would have thought that NHS was almost worth backing for a return within 24 hours.

Edit:
    Unless 'NHS' pays out and 'National Health Service' won't pay. Hammond I suspect would use the not use the acronym in his speech.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    I'm on Brexit (1/3) and War Chest (16/1) with Ladbrokes.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/839435608208605184

More info for budget length bettors :D
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Coral evens on under 55 mins looks a bet to me.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,970
    I'm not playing either.

Incidentally, there's a 'century' missing in the second paragraph.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,917
    edited March 2017

I do like Phil Hammond.

The only member of the cabinet who rises above the utterly mediocre.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    And Paddy's 3/1 on 'Economy' being the FIRST of the words they list looks OK too.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    I recommend this talk by Lisa Nandy presented yesterday to the IPPR.

The England that lies beneath the surface. The difference between cities and towns.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/lisa-nandy/lisa-nandy-ippr-speech_b_15216124.html

I find it very insightful. She has gone up in my estimation. And I already held her in high regard.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029
    If there were no Brexit overshadowing everything, by rights this should be the day the new leader honeymoon ends. Odds of an omnishambles?
  • Options
    16/1 on Ken Clarke to fall asleep.
  • Options

Are you implying he will still be awake at the start after PMQs?
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,202
    Barnesian said:

The England that lies beneath the surface. The difference between cities and towns.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/lisa-nandy/lisa-nandy-ippr-speech_b_15216124.html

I find it very insightful. She has gone up in my estimation. And I already held her in high regard.

I quite like her - as things stand she'd be my choice if I had one (which I don't).
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Defined as being caught on camera with his eyes closed for five seconds or more:

https://twitter.com/LadPolitics/status/839424370133073920
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

I do like Phil Hammond.

The only member of the cabinet who rises above the utterly mediocre.

I think that is unfair - Fallon, Davis and Greening are all pretty good and there are a number of good juniors. your judgement as is natural is heavily flavoured by your political leanings.
  • Options

And Paddy's 3/1 on 'Economy' being the FIRST of the words they list looks OK too.

Spending looks the danger at 6-1.

Just sticking with my over 50 mins bet personally.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

I do like Phil Hammond.

I'll like Hammond as well provided he keeps his speech brief - less than 56.5 minutes.

• Options
    FPT
    Sean_F said:

Theresa May is a pretty centrist, standard, kind of Conservative. I don't understand your loathing for her.

She has an obsession with grammar schools, what is it with people who went to grammar schools, if grammar schools are so good, how come nobody who attended one can differentiate between personal experience and statistical evidence?

But she really annoyed me the day she became PM, she sacked people who had served the Tory party with distinction and honour, for years, and for leaders long before Dave.

That smacked of all the hallmarks of a bully.

She was quite cruel, the way Downing Street works, on a security level, you have put your mobile, wallets, and keys in another part of the building.

She sacked them, and took away their heart passes, which meant they couldn't retrieve their personal possessions.

It was said David Cameron on May the 8th 2015 acted with honour and sensitivity to the Lib Dem SPADS etc.

The ironic thing is, within a few months Mrs May tried to get some of them back, to which many of them told her with great pleasure to get stuffed.

And don't even get me started on the Tory conference...
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Yep - top notch stuff. My choice for the Labour leadership, FWIW.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    TSE:

"if grammar schools are so good, how come nobody who attended one can differentiate between personal experience and statistical evidence?"

Brilliant.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Bloody hell Corbyn is crap. He didn't turn up for a vote where they were deciding the people to draft on to the Selection panel for Gorton. Corbyns favourite candidate lost by one vote.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyn-ambushed-over-manchester-9984820.amp
  • Options
    edited March 2017

I do like Phil Hammond.

I'll like Hammond as well provided he keeps his speech brief - less than 56.5 minutes.

Just sold this for a fiver a point too.

50 minutes and 10 seconds now ta Phil.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    FPT
    JonathanD said:

rcs1000 said:

I've always felt that it is best to think of Brexit as a process, and that that process is best spread out over a considerable period of time. Sadly, I appear to be in a minority.

Brexit would have been much more sensibly achieved by a small Remain win and then the UK gradually negotiating its way to a sensible deal over the next 10-20 years. Its why anyone who wanted a relationship with the EU that was anything more than WTO terms should have voted Remain.
    I agree with this.

For a similar reason, people like me who would like to see this country sign up to the EU lock stock and barrel are better served by the Götterdämmerung of the Brexit process than by the alternative scenario of a 52-48 win for Remain.
  • Options
    I wonder if Corbyn will put in a good response to the budget this time?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Barnesian said:

I quite like her - as things stand she'd be my choice if I had one (which I don't).
    Well, you might have - for three quid....
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,402
    20th like Leicester City in the Premiership :-D .
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    The "Day Without A Woman" market is a clear buy at 7, given that there are 7 female MPs on the order paper. And technically the first one will ask two questions...
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Wondering if Hammond will eat a pie during his speech.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TSE:

"if grammar schools are so good, how come nobody who attended one can differentiate between personal experience and statistical evidence?"

Brilliant.

Oops, my link didn't work, it wasn't one of my brilliant lines.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Pulpstar's budget bets

Over 50 minutes Hills £30 @ 4-6
    Sell @ 56.5 £5/minute Sporting Index.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    isam said:

isam said:

Why should the opposition get a vote on our trade deal with a foreign country?

Eh? I am sure you did not mean that to sound like it does sound.
    I meant it to sound like there is no reason that Labour, the SNP, UKIP, or Lib Dem MPs have a right to decide on our deal with foreign trading blocs or countries.
    Every MP is elected on the same basis. The logic of your position is that there's no reason any of them should be able to vote on it.

AIUI the House of Commons could express a lack of confidence in a government even for its exercise of the royal prerogative. That a government has the right to do something doesn't mean it is owed the confidence of the Commons.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited March 2017
    nunu said:

Bloody hell Corbyn is crap. He didn't turn up for a vote where they were deciding the people to draft on to the Selection panel for Gorton. Corbyns favourite candidate lost by one vote.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyn-ambushed-over-manchester-9984820.amp

Remember during the leadership rules fiasco when he stepped outside and they had a vote without him...
  • Options
    @bbclaurak: No 10 says PM HAS met Heseltine - awkward...

To be fair, perhaps Theresa is so nondescript and he forgot.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,970
    Interesting Nandy article. Not sure of the 'populist' term, which seems to have become a vague, amorphous shorthand for those who disagree with the (until recently, at least) prevailing political consensus.

She does sound rather more intelligent than those at the top of the PLP.
  • Options

Numbers aren't his strong suit...For the second year running he doesn't understand his trivial tax return.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    edited March 2017
    The other parties didn't get a vote on the deal Cameron negotiated then put to the country did they? Why not?

If Remain had won, would they have had to vote his changes through? If not, what is the difference to now?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited March 2017
    If I were betting, I'd sell the 56.5 mins spread. Fully agree with Mike's logic - budget length expectations have been grounded by Osborne & Brown. It's worth betting against whatever those expectations are.

Ideally, I'd be looking to lay 50-60 mins if the odds were ok.

Not betting though.
  • Options

Was it a meeting or a meeeeting as in when you met the Russian ambassador?
  • Options

The "Day Without A Woman" market is a clear buy at 7, given that there are 7 female MPs on the order paper. And technically the first one will ask two questions...

Cheers, on for a fiver a point again..
  • Options

Was it a meeting or a meeeeting as in when you met the Russian ambassador?
    It was Mike who met the Russian Ambassador, I had to make do with Matthew Barzun
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

Given that they were neighbouring MPs for four years, I'd have thought they would have met at some point.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

She does sound rather more intelligent than those at the top of the PLP.

I could say the same about my cat...
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

I do like Phil Hammond.

Titter .... :smile:
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Given that they were neighbouring MPs for four years, I'd have thought they would have met at some point.
    I'd be astonished if they had never met, not just for that, but I know Heseltine addressed/attended the Shadow cabinet between 2006 and 2010.

Perhaps Lord Heseltine, being the gent he is, means he's never been formally introduced to Theresa May.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

They won't let me on at all :-(
  • Options

Good spot.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I'd be astonished if they had never met, not just for that, but I know Heseltine addressed/attended the Shadow cabinet between 2006 and 2010.

Perhaps Lord Heseltine, being the gent he is, means he's never been formally introduced to Theresa May.
    Or perhaps he's childishly belittling her with an obvious untruth. Who can say?
  • Options
    Theresa May should remember it was moderate/Cameroon Tory MPs who made her PM, they can just as easily topple her
  • Options

I don't wonder at all.

I have every confidence that Jezza will rise to his usual standard.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    edited March 2017

Pulpstar said:

I'm sure Pulpstar will be happy to share some of his winnings with you as commission/thanks.
  • Options
    But no female Leader Jeremy....
  • Options
    Quite good first answer from TM the PM there, I was sure she would trot out the old "female leader" line
  • Options
    May - 15 love ....
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Or perhaps he's childishly belittling her with an obvious untruth. Who can say?
    Well that is a possibility.
  • Options
    Corbyn has missed yet another open goal
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I'm sure Pulpstar will be happy to share some of his winnings with you as commission/thanks.
    I expect it will make up 7, but it looks like there's only upside.

If he were feeling particularly vexatious, Pulpstar could of course suggest that Theresa May herself "asked some questions" during the session...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,951
    edited March 2017

Theresa May should remember it was moderate/Cameroon Tory MPs who made her PM, they can just as easily topple her

No they didn't on their own, the likes of Davis and Fox backed her in the final round. Crabb was the Cameroon/moderate candidate and he came second to last. If May is toppled it will be in favour of a leader more in the Leadsom than the Osborne mode, especially given most Tory members want an even harder Brexit than May does
  • Options
    Is the bloke in the brown suit about three along from Skinner donning a goatee beard and ponytail?????
  • Options
    The looks on labour MPs faces when PM suggests if Corbyn is looking for a conspiracy he should look behind him
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    Tezza and Jezza playing it straight so far. Weakish joke about the enemy behind from Tezza.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    May denies gentlemen's agreement in Surrey. This could come back to haunt her.
  • Options
    uh-oh Tezza less sure of life. Break in the voice and stumbling.
  • Options
    That Theresa chuckle will become a meme.
  • Options
    A fire in a lorry carrying tins of sports drink powder, which then started to explode, has closed part of a motorway

Sports drinks tins 'explode' in M6 lorry fire in Staffordshire
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-39203235

Anybody who has tried those know how explosive to your insides they can be!
  • Options
    edited March 2017

100%

The twitterati must be on the case already
  • Options
    uh....oh....she doesn't know. Tone would never be in that position.
  • Options

FPT

Sean_F said:

Theresa May is a pretty centrist, standard, kind of Conservative. I don't understand your loathing for her.

She has an obsession with grammar schools, what is it with people who went to grammar schools, if grammar schools are so good, how come nobody who attended one can differentiate between personal experience and statistical evidence?

But she really annoyed me the day she became PM, she sacked people who had served the Tory party with distinction and honour, for years, and for leaders long before Dave.

She was quite cruel, the way Downing Street works, on a security level, you have put your mobile, wallets, and keys in another part of the building.

She sacked them, and took away their heart passes, which meant they couldn't retrieve their personal possessions.

It was said David Cameron on May the 8th 2015 acted with honour and sensitivity to the Lib Dem SPADS etc.

The ironic thing is, within a few months Mrs May tried to get some of them back, to which many of them told her with great pleasure to get stuffed.

Top PISA ranked Singapore effectively selects at 13
  • Options
    I'm not sure if it's a strength or a weakness but May very obviously repeats prepared phrases over and over to deal with tricky issues. She doesn't make any attempt to paraphrase.

- 'No special deal that was not available to other councils'
    - 'Trading with and operating within the single market'.
  • Options
    @Redpeter99: Like a boxing match between Charles Hawtrey and Kenneth Williams. #PMQs
  • Options

I'm not sure if it's a strength or a weakness but May very obviously repeats prepared phrases over and over to deal with tricky issues. She doesn't make any attempt to paraphrase.

The problem is Corbyn keeps asking the same question even after he has had an answer
  • Options
    isam said:

100%

https://twitter.com/jamesorharry/status/839448666456928256
  • Options

The problem is Corbyn keeps asking the same question even after he has had an answer
    He didn't get an answer, and in any case that is the point of PMQs. To ask something unanswerable (although I would quite like to know if there was a deal with SCC) and then keep on asking it.
  • Options
    Of course, if Labour had made basic planning for increased education, health, infrastructure, when it threw open the doors to record inward migration, we perhaps wouldn't have this problem Mr Corbyn....
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

FPT

Sean_F said:

Without knowing the facts of that case, I can't comment. I would say that people I know who are acquainted with Theresa May like her a lot.

WRT grammar schools, you do come over as a bit Anthony Crossland.
  • Options
    Why is it that Angus Robertson with two questions puts Mrs May under more pressure than Jeremy Corbyn's six questions?
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    Nice when leafy Surrey gets a handout in the same month that the MP for Epsom and Ewell withdraws funding for the (much needed) Chichester by-pass.
  • Options

Why is it that Angus Robertson with two questions puts Mrs May under more pressure than Jeremy Corbyn's six questions?

because he's not utterly crap and unfit to be in the House, let alone party leader.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    "Theresa May says the Budget may have some news for Mr Corbyn on social care funding for councils."

That sounds like a 1/5 winner to me.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

He didn't get an answer, and in any case that is the point of PMQs. To ask something unanswerable (although I would quite like to know if there was a deal with SCC) and then keep on asking it.
    The PM has said three times today at PMQs (so on record) there was no special deal with SCC.
  • Options

Competence. Though his seat could yet be interesting...

Moray 2015:

SNP 24,384 49.5%
    Con 15,319 31.1%
    Lab 4,898 9.9%
    UKIP 1,939 3.9%
    LD 1,395 2.8%
    Green 1,345 2.7%
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

FPT

Sean_F said:

Without knowing the facts of that case, I can't comment. I would say that people I know who are acquainted with Theresa May like her a lot.

Somebody has to think of the children left behind.

Is part of my caring one nation beliefs.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

isam said:

100%

I am sure we will see

"What do you think of refugees living in squalor, Theresa?"
    "What do you think of pensioners dying as a result of your policies, Theresa?"
    "Have you heard about the lady from Singapore that was deported, Theresa?"

...from the far left, Cameroons and Guardian tweeters!
  • Options

Competence. Though his seat could yet be interesting...

Moray 2015:

SNP 24,384 49.5%
    Con 15,319 31.1%
    Lab 4,898 9.9%
    UKIP 1,939 3.9%
    LD 1,395 2.8%
    Green 1,345 2.7%
    Come on tactical unionist voters, do your duty.
  • Options

May denies gentlemen's agreement in Surrey. This could come back to haunt her.

Well quite. Apart from a noted resident of Hersham there are sadly few gentleman in Surrey ....
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

FPT

Sean_F said:

Like many of the privately educated TSE and Crosland are great fans of comprehensives just as long as they never have to send their children to them
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

100%

I am sure we will see

"What do you think of refugees living in squalor, Theresa?"
    "What do you think of pensioners dying as a result of your policies, Theresa?"
    "Have you heard about the lady from Singapore that was deported, Theresa?"

...from the far left, Cameroons and Guardian tweeters!
    "You don't get this with a Miele..."
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

Now you know the answer to that already, you are just wanting one of us in the red corner to spell it out!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,925

rcs1000 said:

TSE:

Brilliant.

Well, I attended one, as did my wife. We both think, and thought, that they were divisive and elitist. However, that’s only two.
  • Options

Now you know the answer to that already, you are just wanting one of us in the red corner to spell it out!
    Well you did vote for him, so perhaps you could explain.

(And yes, it was a rhetorical question)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

FPT

Sean_F said:

Singapore and education - handle with extreme care:

http://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/lets-kill-the-drill-approach-in-schools

• Options

rcs1000 said:

TSE:

Brilliant.

Well, I attended one, as did my wife. We both think, and thought, that they were divisive and elitist. However, that’s only two.
    They got you through mathematics though .... :smile:
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    edited March 2017
    My second favourite man crush asking a question at PMQs right now
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,579

Corbyn could easily learn from Robertson - simple focussed questions, not a half baked ramble around the houses.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited March 2017
    I guess the big question at the moment is if the Tories win enormous victories at the local elections in a few weeks' time will they still refuse to hold an early election? They must be thinking about what happened with Brown in 2007. Labour could be facing a meltdown in the shire counties where a lot of the marginals are located.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,158
    O/T the attached two articles were recommended to me by someone who, it is fair to say, is not one of Corbyn's biggest fans.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/economy/2017/02/how-can-labour-refit-itself-modern-world

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/03/chuka-umunna-labour-alternative

• Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    Sean_F said:

FPT

Sean_F said:

Bit silly to plough money into grammar schools when so many local authorities are unfairly underfunded wrt education, regardless of the ideology behind it.
  • Options

Corbyn could easily learn from Robertson - simple focussed questions, not a half baked ramble around the houses.
    Corbyn will not be able to change his half baked rambling - that is what he does and has throughout his career
  • Options

My second favourite man crush asking a question at PMQs right now

A man crush .... I missed that. What was Eric Pickles question?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

FPT

Sean_F said:

Singapore and education - handle with extreme care:

http://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/lets-kill-the-drill-approach-in-schools

Finland is 5th. No selection.
This discussion has been closed.