Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Next Prime Minister: Gus O’Donnell at 250/1?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited March 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Next Prime Minister: Gus O’Donnell at 250/1?

The last few years have seen a profusion of long-odds political bets come in. When they have, it’s been because the bookies, the punters or both have misread the electorate, the candidate(s) or the process. I think there’s another outside opportunity now.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    GOD no. First.
  • Options
    2nd
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Who the cock-a-doodle-doo is Gus (Lord) O'Donnell? Which party? "Former Cabinet Secretary"? When? How long ago? I might once have known who he was several thousand years ago, but I have long since forgotten, and - if you can't be bothered to tell us - I can't be bothered to Google him to find out. Suffice it to say that the article is obviously a load of doubleplusridiculous ultra-nincompoopism, presumably designed as click-bait to get the proles to look at a few subliminal adverts at the side of the screen rather than to enlighten the political consciousness of the masses.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    JohnLoony said:

Who the cock-a-doodle-doo is Gus (Lord) O'Donnell? Which party? "Former Cabinet Secretary"? When? How long ago? I might once have known who he was several thousand years ago, but I have long since forgotten, and - if you can't be bothered to tell us - I can't be bothered to Google him to find out. Suffice it to say that the article is obviously a load of doubleplusridiculous ultra-nincompoopism, presumably designed as click-bait to get the proles to look at a few subliminal adverts at the side of the screen rather than to enlighten the political consciousness of the masses.

He was the head of the civil service. It would be a remarkable turn of events, but it doesn't hurt to think about the implications of the FTPA.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    This would have been a ridiculous idea until today. But I think everyone understands that whereas the way to sort out constitutional situations like this used to be a pseudonymous letter to The Times, it's now a thread header on pb. It may not be possible for another candidate to clear this hurdle: If TSE has come up with a good pun it wouldn't be fair to bump it.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,186
    edited March 2017
    tlg86 said:

JohnLoony said:

He was the head of the civil service. It would be a remarkable turn of events, but it doesn't hurt to think about the implications of the FTPA.
    'Remarkable' is something of an understatement. The only Civil Servant ever to get close to No. 10 in his own right was John Anderson, who acted as head of the government during the transition to Labour in 1945 because by coincidence Churchill and Eden were out of the country. However, he was popular, respected, intelligent, had a long track record of successful public service and was a man of great ability and integrity. I am struggling to apply any of those labels to the ignorant New Labour stooge Gus O'Donnell.

The Wellington parallel is also inexact. Wellington was asked by the King to form a government himself as the acknowledged overall Leader of the Opposition, but refused - he did however recommend Peel and said he would look after things until Peel arrived back from a holiday in Italy.

If it gets really tense the other possibility that David overlooks is the most senior non-party figure in the Commons could head an interim government (which was also considered in 1832 and 1834) - but let us hope John Bercow is never called on in that capacity.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    250/1 bets are by definition highly unlikely. In that context this is a fair bet.

Theresa May would have the holding successor lined up before setting this mechanical exercise in motion. Wouldn't it be more likely to be a Conservative grandee? Lord Howard perhaps? Or someone who has advocated an early election already - Baron Hague of Richmond?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    QTWTAIN.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    MaxPB said:

QTWTAIN.

Quite.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

JohnLoony said:

'Remarkable' is something of an understatement. The only Civil Servant ever to get close to No. 10 in his own right was John Anderson, who acted as head of the government during the transition to Labour in 1945 because by coincidence Churchill and Eden were out of the country. However, he was popular, respected, intelligent, had a long track record of successful public service and was a man of great ability and integrity. I am struggling to apply any of those labels to the ignorant New Labour stooge Gus O'Donnell.

The Wellington parallel is also inexact. Wellington was asked by the King to form a government himself as the acknowledged overall Leader of the Opposition, but refused - he did however recommend Peel and said he would look after things until Peel arrived back from a holiday in Italy.

If it gets really tense the other possibility that David overlooks is the most senior non-party figure in the Commons could head an interim government (which was also considered in 1832 and 1834) - but let us hope John Bercow is never called on in that capacity.
    Shudder.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    If this is a possibility, we must be monumentally screwed.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235
    We don't do technocratic governments. Not even Cromwell qualified as such. And if we did it wouldn't be such a compromised and disrespected figure as GOD. 250/1 is a long way short of generous for a scenario that probably requires a latter day Guy Fawkes to strike at PMQs at a minimum.

Yet another demonstration why the FTPA is not fit for purpose in a Parliamentary democracy though.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    edited March 2017
    I had a similar idea, but instead of Gus O'Donnell, I was thinking of Mark Carney instead.

We've had a Canadian born U.K. PM before.
  • Options

I had a similar idea, but instead of Gus O'Donnell, I was thinking of Mark Carney instead.

But Carney isn't a Member of Parliament. True, he could be given a peerage to become one but it would look rather bad.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    DavidL said:

We don't do technocratic governments. Not even Cromwell qualified as such. And if we did it wouldn't be such a compromised and disrespected figure as GOD. 250/1 is a long way short of generous for a scenario that probably requires a latter day Guy Fawkes to strike at PMQs at a minimum.

Yet another demonstration why the FTPA is not fit for purpose in a Parliamentary democracy though.

Neville Chamberlain? If it hadn't been for Hitler his technocratic government would probably have been well regarded in retrospect. I know that sounds a bit silly.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    Not happening. Not even once in 250 scenarios.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

The FTPA really screws things up, doesn't it.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good morning, everyone.

It seems the Curse of Morris Dancer extends to rugby :p

On-topic: 250/1 shots never come in. I cannot see a Lord being acceptable as PM.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Neville Chamberlain? If it hadn't been for Hitler his technocratic government would probably have been well regarded in retrospect. I know that sounds a bit silly.
    Neville Chamberlain was a member of a leading political dynasty and had been a senior politician and Cabinet Minister since 1922. Although he entered government in 1917 as a businessman with a clearly defined role, he was undoubtedly a politician. Anyone who doubts that should remember that from 1929 to 1931 he was Conservative Party Chairman, the most nakedly partisan of all political roles. He was also famous for his loathing of the Labour Party.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    TBH, this does a rather 'bottom of the barrel scrape’ thread. Can’t we have an AV one instead?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited March 2017
    HUZZAH - A peer as Prime Minister - :smile:

BOO - Not a Scottish peer - :astonished:

HUZZAH - A most entertaining thread leader - :smile:

BOO - Ladbrokes don't list Viscount Malcomg of Ayrshire as a contender - :astonished:

• Options
    No, this would not happen - like farting in a lift, wrong on so many levels.

If TM's government lost a vote of confidence there would be soundings. Could anyone even attempt to form a government ? The leader of the SNP in the Commons would have the best chance at about 1%. Neither Corbyn nor Farron could manage that. Each of these would be asked INFORMALLY if they had any prospect of forming a government - self-evidently they wouldn't.

TM would then suggest they work collectively though the minefield of the FTPA to seek a dissolution. After huffing and puffing this would be agreed.

We will see a lot next week - just how stupid are the LD peers ?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    OT This is quite amusing, 4chan really were determined to troll Shia LaBeouf protests.

https://youtu.be/n-ABXvbMSc4
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Good morning, everyone.

On-topic: 250/1 shots never come in. I cannot see a Lord being acceptable as PM.

Burn the heretic - with their wiffle sticks as kindling - :naughty:

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Isn't that the same as saying Hitler would have been a decent chancellor had it not been for the Holocaust? :/
  • Options
    Mr. W, I didn't comment on whether the aristophobia was justified or not.
  • Options

Mr. W, I didn't comment on whether the aristophobia was justified or not.

Your dancing on a pinhead Mr Dancer .... :smile:

• Options

Good morning, everyone.

Well hardly ever anyway *cough* - or to be precise just the once in PB.com's proud 12 year history.
  • Options
    Mr. W, the morris can be danced anywhere. (Also: you're*).

Mr. Putney, o, happy day :D

The last 30-40 laps or so were quite tense.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Good morning, everyone.

I hope you are backing England this evening then
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Good morning, everyone.

What about an hereditary peer sitting in the Commons? :D
  • Options

I thought he and more especially his wife couldn't wait to hot foot it back to Canada, doubtless complete with gong, in just 16 months' time.
  • Options
    Mr. P, contemplating backing Scotland at 5. Not sure.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Good morning, everyone.

An idea with considerable merit .... :smiley:
  • Options

I thought he and more especially his wife couldn't wait to hot foot it back to Canada, doubtless complete with gong, in just 16 months' time.
    Presumably that is on the back burner since the second Trudeau coming makes it difficult for him to become PM there...
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    JackW said:

RobD said:

Good morning, everyone.

Maybe Heseltine gets to be PM after all
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

JohnLoony said:

With respect, this thijking is what I mean by being too bound by precedent. When the rules change - and they have - new methods are sometimes needed. And every practice for which there is precedent was itself once done for the first time.

I agree that there are other possibilities, though I find Bercow even less likely. The advantage of a genuine technocrat is, apart from ability and experience, that they won't be in the way afterwards.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,975
    PlatoSaid said:

OT This is quite amusing, 4chan really were determined to troll Shia LaBeouf protests.

(Snip)

Lol. Milo, Pewdiepie and now 4chan: you really are a fan of the Internet's murkier places and people, aren't you?
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, not a follower (or detractor) of Pewdiepie, but isn't he the biggest Youtuber? Does that count as murky?
  • Options
    edited March 2017

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

JohnLoony said:

With respect, this thijking is what I mean by being too bound by precedent. When the rules change - and they have - new methods are sometimes needed. And every practice for which there is precedent was itself once done for the first time.

I agree that there are other possibilities, though I find Bercow even less likely. The advantage of a genuine technocrat is, apart from ability and experience, that they won't be in the way afterwards.
    With respect, my point was that the precedents you yourself cited were not precedents or were wrongly described. As for ability, O'Donnell may be politely described as an arrogant fool with a long track record of failure. Your logic therefore seemed (unusually) to be flawed. The odds are if anything far too generous for him.

Bercow is a thousand times more likely than GoD, and he is most unlikely. And surely a further advantage of him would be he would be forced to quit as Speaker?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871
    JackW said:

HUZZAH - A peer as Prime Minister - :smile:

BOO - Not a Scottish peer - :astonished:

HUZZAH - A most entertaining thread leader - :smile:

BOO - Ladbrokes don't list Viscount Malcomg of Ayrshire as a contender - :astonished:

They will rue the day Jack
  • Options
    Off-topic:

Whoever decided that the owners of the Dartford Crossing should be allowed to use their new tollgateless system should be hung, drawn and quartered.

It's terrible. Awful. Dire. (Insert expletive here). It's simply not fit for purpose.

The M6Toll appears to have killed off any future toll motorways. I can only hope the Dartford crossing experience will kill off any similar toll schemes.
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, not a follower (or detractor) of Pewdiepie, but isn't he the biggest Youtuber? Does that count as murky?

Some of his stuff, yes.
  • Options

250/1 bets are by definition highly unlikely. In that context this is a fair bet.

Theresa May would have the holding successor lined up before setting this mechanical exercise in motion. Wouldn't it be more likely to be a Conservative grandee? Lord Howard perhaps? Or someone who has advocated an early election already - Baron Hague of Richmond?

Possible, but we just can't know, so it's best to think of all the possibilities.

However, if May had lost a vote of No Confidence, even on purpose, she wouldn't be in a strong position to determine wht happened next. Corbyn would certainly be asked. Would May have already resigned / been dismissed at this point? We can't know in advance: it's uncharted territory. But if so, my guess would be that to appoint a new Conservative government after the two-week deadline was up would look odd and go dow badly in the media.

Of course, the whole thing would look odd but the public would be more likely to accept a solution that had both been trailed in advance and which appeared fair and neutral.

It shold also go without saying that you'll be able to get juicy odds on Howard or Hague, if that's your thinking.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, what's happened at Dartford Crossing? Excessive tolls or have they been charging the wrong people?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Two questions there.

1. *why* don't we do technocratic governments?, and
    2. If not GOD, then who?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263

Off-topic:

Whoever decided that the owners of the Dartford Crossing should be allowed to use their new tollgateless system should be hung, drawn and quartered.

It's terrible. Awful. Dire. (Insert expletive here). It's simply not fit for purpose.

The M6Toll appears to have killed off any future toll motorways. I can only hope the Dartford crossing experience will kill off any similar toll schemes.

?

We shouldn't be paying at all, of course, given past promises. But if we have to pay I would far rather avoid the often very lengthy queues for the booths that used to be the curse of the crossing before the new autopay system came in. Sometimes the traffic stretched back for miles on each side.
  • Options

There's your next Chancellor in this scenario.
  • Options

Possible, but we just can't know, so it's best to think of all the possibilities.

However, if May had lost a vote of No Confidence, even on purpose, she wouldn't be in a strong position to determine wht happened next. Corbyn would certainly be asked. Would May have already resigned / been dismissed at this point? We can't know in advance: it's uncharted territory. But if so, my guess would be that to appoint a new Conservative government after the two-week deadline was up would look odd and go dow badly in the media.

Of course, the whole thing would look odd but the public would be more likely to accept a solution that had both been trailed in advance and which appeared fair and neutral.

It shold also go without saying that you'll be able to get juicy odds on Howard or Hague, if that's your thinking.
    I am not sure that odds on something destined almost certainly not to happen can really be described as juicy.
  • Options

Off-topic:

What is issue with M6 toll other than cost, any time I have used it , it has been great , clear road etc as opposed to the previous shambles of nose to tail for hours.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

But Carney isn't a Member of Parliament. True, he could be given a peerage to become one but it would look rather bad.
    So what? There'd be an election on: no-one would be a Member of Parliament. In some ways, an extraparlamentary government would reemphasise its caretaker / time-limited mandate.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Off-topic:

What do you think is wrong with it?

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    If the constitutional complexities of a no-confidence vote are as described in the header, then this further reinforces the argument that removing the royal prerogative (via the PM) of dissolving parliament and calling an election (thanks to the FTPA) was bonkers.

Another fine mess that Osborne and Clegg have left us with.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Off-topic:

What do you think is wrong with it?

Have they finally started fining non-payers, rather than just sending 'you've been naughty' letters?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Two questions there.

2. If not GOD, then who?
    1. Because they are undemocratic and we value our democracy more than many other countries seem to. For the Italians, for example, having someone who has some idea of what they are doing must have a novelty factor.

2. I tend to agree with TSE that if we ever did go down this road someone like Mark Carney would be a better option. Without googling it bankers seems to have been quite popular in Italy too.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Chamberlain was absolutely a party politician, to the extent that it was his downfall in the Norway debate whe he appealed for support from his Rt Hon and Hon Friends i.e. because they were in the same party. That call at that time was extremely ill-judged. And, of course, Chamberlain maintained a Tory / Nat Lib government into the war, unlike Churchill.

The better parallel, as ydoether mentions, is John Anderson. He might also have mentioned the precedent of James Grigg.
  • Options

JackW said:

RobD said:

Good morning, everyone.

Viscount Hezza Big Beast of the Jungle ....
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Mr. Jessop, what's happened at Dartford Crossing? Excessive tolls or have they been charging the wrong people?

Basically, they record your licence number as you pass. If you do not pay the fee (currently £2.50) before the end of the next day, you get a fine. There are alternative systems for locals and regular users, but if you only cross a couple of times a year then it's a pain in the backside.

It's worse if, like my parents, they've just gone away on holiday and have no Internet access where they are. They have to phone me up and I have to go online and fight the demons that live in their system.

Worse, they incorrectly detect licence numbers and charge people fines who have not crossed the bridge.

Meanwhile non-UK residents are frequently getting away without paying the toll.

It would be better if the public had got a better deal over the toll extension. But all we got was a crummy variable speed limit scheme on part of the M25 along with the hard-shoulder-as-a-lane madness.

(rant mode off)

There are many ways it could be improved. Allowing a period of a week or a month before being fined, allowing both journeys on a holiday to be counted. Allowing you to find out how many trips you had made without having an account (although there would be privacy issues with that). Catching and fining more foreign drivers, etc, etc. But they prefer just to rake the money in ...

Edit: oh, and inadequate signage to tell people what the f is going on. At least in the early days (haven't been over it in five months).
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    DavidL said:

I agree. To call the FTPA a constitutional abortion is insulting to the killing of unborn babies.

In fairness, that's true of most constitutional tinkering in this country, including Blair's badly-thought-through reforms of the House of Lords and the Law Lords and the fudged devolution settlements to Labour-supporting areas.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Off-topic:

What is issue with M6 toll other than cost, any time I have used it , it has been great , clear road etc as opposed to the previous shambles of nose to tail for hours.
    Lorries do far more damage to road surfaces than cars, and they've priced lorries off the toll road, meaning the old M6 gets more damage.

A few years back I travelled along it on a trip back from Scotland, and there were signs on pieces of cardboard stating that the price had gone up ...
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    JackW said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

Good morning, everyone.

My choice would be Viscount Monckton who at least has the experience of having worked in Number 10
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited March 2017
    JackW said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

Good morning, everyone.

Viscount Greystoke. A feral geriatric raised by rats.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Fishing said:

DavidL said:

I agree. To call the FTPA a constitutional abortion is insulting to the killing of unborn babies.

In fairness, that's true of most constitutional tinkering in this country, including Blair's badly-thought-through reforms of the House of Lords and the Law Lords and the fudged devolution settlements to Labour-supporting areas.
    I think you will find that they are ex Labour supporting areas, certainly to the north and increasingly to the west as well. May be a moral in that somewhere.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

A lord wouldn't be acceptable as PM in normal circumstances but would be ideal as a caretaker precisely because of that lack of mandate, as well as being unaligned.
  • Options

Basically, they record your licence number as you pass. If you do not pay the fee (currently £2.50) before the end of the next day, you get a fine. There are alternative systems for locals and regular users, but if you only cross a couple of times a year then it's a pain in the backside.

It's worse if, like my parents, they've just gone away on holiday and have no Internet access where they are. They have to phone me up and I have to go online and fight the demons that live in their system.

Worse, they incorrectly detect licence numbers and charge people fines who have not crossed the bridge.

It would be better if the public had got a better deal over the toll extension. But all we got was a crummy variable speed limit scheme on part of the M25 along with the hard-shoulder-as-a-lane madness.

(rant mode off)

There are many ways it could be improved. Allowing a period of a week or a month before being fined, allowing both journeys on a holiday to be counted. Allowing you to find out how many trips you had made without having an account (although there would be privacy issues with that). Catching and fining more foreign drivers, etc, etc. But they prefer just to rake the money in ...
    It's great for vehicles with foreign plates. The junction coming in from Erith going northbound is a pigging nightmare. It can take half hour to do a few hundred yards.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    malcolmg said:

I think that is the problem. It is taking a fraction of the traffic it was designed for.

As as road user, that's great. As a model for future investment in infrastructure, it doesn't look good.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Given the ridiculousness of the scenarios explored with such seriousness, this piece is clearly a testament to mr herdson's writing ability.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

(rant mode off)

The abolition of the toll booths has been a fantastic development knocking huge amounts of time off trips involving the Dartford Crossing. For all the downsides of the new system it's far better than waiting for 3 hours as I have in the past. The minor inconvenience of paying online is nothing compared with that.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Off-topic:

Lorries do far more damage to road surfaces than cars, and they've priced lorries off the toll road, meaning the old M6 gets more damage.

A few years back I travelled along it on a trip back from Scotland, and there were signs on pieces of cardboard stating that the price had gone up ...
    Not cheap for sure, but few times I have used it the road was clear and unbelievably better than previous experiences on the old route. Think it was a fiver last time I used it.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I am not sure that odds on something destined almost certainly not to happen can really be described as juicy.
    Note the conditional. I was not endorsing. But that said, it still all depends on the relation between ods and chance.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Because a highly Improbable scenario involving an attempt for partisan advantage might be confused by it? It's a view.

You raise an interesting point re Cromwell though, as he offers us several alternatives.

Direct military rule, a parliament of saints, or a new constitutional settlement that restores a lot of the trappings of the old one, take your pick.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

I think that is the problem. It is taking a fraction of the traffic it was designed for.

As as road user, that's great. As a model for future investment in infrastructure, it doesn't look good.
    Yes it did seem pointless given it was empty and you had just left the M6 which was mainly nose to tail, surely would be far better to at least vary price to balance traffic and encourage more use.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, cheers for that info.

Mr. Fishing, I think that analogy's a little over the top. However, I agree entirely that constitutional tinkering for short-term needs/advantage has only ever buggered things up (yet one more reason to be dubious of those who think regional English assemblies a good thing).
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,994

It cetainly counts as shit.
  • Options

(rant mode off)

The abolition of the toll booths has been a fantastic development knocking huge amounts of time off trips involving the Dartford Crossing. For all the downsides of the new system it's far better than waiting for 3 hours as I have in the past. The minor inconvenience of paying online is nothing compared with that.
    I would have thought as a Lib Dem you would be aghast that the owners have reaped such a fantastic reward for such little outlay and risk?

It would have been easier and cheaper for everyone - frequent users, infrequent users, locals, foreigners, etc - if the crossing had just given out back to the public as they were due to after 20 years, or even in 2002 when the debts had been paid off.

The system is designed to benefit the owner's coffers, not the public. If you wanted to help the public it would have been made toll-free.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

(rant mode off)

As soon as we're out of the EU, the UK can charge tourists and foreign trucks what they like on entry/exit.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Off-topic:

Not cheap for sure, but few times I have used it the road was clear and unbelievably better than previous experiences on the old route. Think it was a fiver last time I used it.
    No surprise that the road to and from SNP blighted Scotland is free of traffic.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Off-topic:

I agree Malcolm. The times I have used it it seemed very good value for money for getting around Birmingham without the usual snarl ups. The lack of lorries was noticeable and part of the attraction. Whether the return works on that basis I don't know but it worked for me.

Dartford I found more irritating as a very occasional user. We were on holiday in England and frankly had a lot better things to do than trying to make internet payments at some unknown website. We got a letter and paid it after we got home. I can see the very considerable attraction for locals but for visitors it is not great.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Two questions there.

2. If not GOD, then who?
    1. Because they are undemocratic and we value our democracy more than many other countries seem to. For the Italians, for example, having someone who has some idea of what they are doing must have a novelty factor.

2. I tend to agree with TSE that if we ever did go down this road someone like Mark Carney would be a better option. Without googling it bankers seems to have been quite popular in Italy too.
    But we wouldn't be talking about a two year Monti-like government; just one to tide things over until the election already underway was held.

The question remains, if May wouldn't form a government, in order to provoke an election, and no-one else could, and one is needed, who gets the gig?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Off-topic:

I agree Malcolm. The times I have used it it seemed very good value for money for getting around Birmingham without the usual snarl ups. The lack of lorries was noticeable and part of the attraction. Whether the return works on that basis I don't know but it worked for me.

Dartford I found more irritating as a very occasional user. We were on holiday in England and frankly had a lot better things to do than trying to make internet payments at some unknown website. We got a letter and paid it after we got home. I can see the very considerable attraction for locals but for visitors it is not great.
    Why on earth don't they let you pay in advance? Bonkers.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Off-topic:

Apparently it is is getting 48,000 vehicles a day.
    https://www.m6toll.co.uk/about-us/traffic-figures/latest-reports/october-december-2016/

I would expect the M6 itself to have much higher figures, but my google-fu is failing me. The target was apparently 75,000 vehicles per day.
  • Options

If the constitutional complexities of a no-confidence vote are as described in the header, then this further reinforces the argument that removing the royal prerogative (via the PM) of dissolving parliament and calling an election (thanks to the FTPA) was bonkers.

I still disagree. The complexity seems to arise when you want to call a no confidence vote in yourself for partisan reasons. Presuming a scenario where the government really loses the confidence of the chamber rather than pretends to because it sees an opportunity to increase its majority and bypass the purpose of act, then a short period for the chamber to try to decide on a replacement would not be unreasonable or as problematic.

That it is not designed to deal with one party seeking to abuse it for their own advantage is not a flaw of the act. That it is in fact complicated to try to manipulate it for partisan advantage might be seen, in fact, as an advantage.

If there's consensus for a new election no problem. If there is a time the nation, not a party, genuinely needs a new election, do we think so little of other parties to think enough would not play ball? Even if their leadership were obstructive?

There's a lot of things people list as problems with the act which, intentionally or otherwise, seem like features not bugs.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Two questions there.

2. If not GOD, then who?

But we wouldn't be talking about a two year Monti-like government; just one to tide things over until the election already underway was held.

The question remains, if May wouldn't form a government, in order to provoke an election, and no-one else could, and one is needed, who gets the gig?
    Father of the house?

In fairness I think the question you raise, though improve and the options not being much value, is an interesting one. It is conceivable.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Jonathan said:

(rant mode off)

As soon as we're out of the EU, the UK can charge tourists and foreign trucks what they like on entry/exit.
    and as soon as we do that, they will do it to us. sub optimal IMHO
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Off-topic:

Oh come on. The section of the A74(M) north from Carlisle to Larkhall has to be one of the best and most picturesque major roads in the UK. It's invariably a pleasure to drive along ( I might also include the section of the M6 south over Tebay as well).

I love the coastal A1 through Northumberland, but it's a bit of a hassle to drive. The northern M6 and A74(M) is wonderful. Is there a better motorway or dual carriageway in the UK?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

(rant mode off)

Not if they check the number plate on exit to see if you used a toll in the UK?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Off-topic:

Oh come on. The section of the A74(M) north from Carlisle to Larkhall has to be one of the best and most picturesque major roads in the UK. It's invariably a pleasure to drive along ( I might also include the section of the M6 south over Tebay as well).

I love the coastal A1 through Northumberland, but it's a bit of a hassle to drive. The northern M6 and A74(M) is wonderful. Is there a better motorway or dual carriageway in the UK?
    It's a noble prospect.

"The noblest prospect which a Scotchman ever sees, is the high road that leads him to England!"
    S. Johnson
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,712
    kle4 said:

I still disagree. The complexity seems to arise when you want to call a no confidence vote in yourself for partisan reasons. Presuming a scenario where the government really loses the confidence of the chamber rather than pretends to because it sees an opportunity to increase its majority and bypass the purpose of act, then a short period for the chamber to try to decide on a replacement would not be unreasonable or as problematic.

That it is not designed to deal with one party seeking to abuse it for their own advantage is not a flaw of the act. That it is in fact complicated to try to manipulate it for partisan advantage might be seen, in fact, as an advantage.

If there's consensus for a new election no problem. If there is a time the nation, not a party, genuinely needs a new election, do we think so little of other parties to think enough would not play ball? Even if their leadership were obstructive?

There's a lot of things people list as problems with the act which, intentionally or otherwise, seem like features not bugs.
    Agreed. Allowing the PM to choose the date of an election gives the party in power an advantage, why should they have that? The FTPA might also encourage longer term thinking which would be no bad thing.
  • Options
    F1: Vettel now second favourite, 5 to Bottas' 6, for the title. Ferrari down to 4.5 for the Constructors' [Ladbrokes].

Raikkonen's 11. May be worth a look at each way (fifth the odds, top three) if you believe Ferrari are tasty. I think he's roughly on a par with Bottas. Better car gets the Finn top 3 (if Red Bull aren't up there).
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Off-topic:

It's a noble prospect.

"The noblest prospect which a Scotchman ever sees, is the high road that leads him to England!"
    S. Johnson
    :)
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    Is this the same Gus OD who was reported on this site a few days ago as saying that he always argued for open borders and unlimited immigration as that was better for the world, notwithstanding the effect on this country?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

(rant mode off)

the history of UK IT projects is littered with disaster. Look up Gordon Brown for examples especially HMRC
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

(rant mode off)

the history of UK IT projects is littered with disaster. Look up Gordon Brown for examples especially HMRC
    The only tricky bit is reading a variety of foreign number plates. Doesn't even need to be automated. Just check on the border.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541

F1: Vettel now second favourite, 5 to Bottas' 6, for the title. Ferrari down to 4.5 for the Constructors' [Ladbrokes].

Raikkonen's 11. May be worth a look at each way (fifth the odds, top three) if you believe Ferrari are tasty. I think he's roughly on a par with Bottas. Better car gets the Finn top 3 (if Red Bull aren't up there).

Clearly I should have filled my boots, but I'm happy with my relatively modest wager on the prancing Italians. With any luck, this could be rather an entertaining season.
  • Options
    Mr. B, it's always the way, isn't it? If I'd backed Macron with a higher stake I'd be further ahead overall. But if I'd backed Ireland with a bigger stake I'd be further down. Hindsight's irksome sometimes.

I only put a tiny sum on Bottas each way.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Off-topic:

You half witted dullard we are talking M6 in Birmingham. Though not surprised that you think that is in Scotland given your history.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

Yes it did seem pointless given it was empty and you had just left the M6 which was mainly nose to tail, surely would be far better to at least vary price to balance traffic and encourage more use.
    Given the very lengthy timelines for new motorway builds, it's quite possible that the majority of cars being fully electric willl come first - at which point governments devoid of petrol duty will probably have to bring in national road pricing. It would be nice if they could include dynamic load balancing systems.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Well, I'm pleased to have guessed this from your clue the other day! The FTPA does raise some tricky issues (partly by design, as others have said). My instinct would be that the desire to not make the state ridiculous certainly precludes Corbyn and probably also precludes the likes of GOD. Perhaps a new distinction between May's Government resigning and May herself resigning is more likely?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,937
    On topic.

I have not really followed the arguments around the FTPA so was wondering about something.

Is it not possible to simply repeal the act with a simple majority in Parliament?
  • Options

On topic.

I have not really followed the arguments around the FTPA so was wondering about something.

Is it not possible to simply repeal the act with a simple majority in Parliament?

Almost certainly.

Snag - May doesn't have a majority in one House of Parliament.
This discussion has been closed.