Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s Local By-Election Preview : Three CON defences and a

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited March 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s Local By-Election Preview : Three CON defences and a LAB one

Warbreck on Blackpool (Con defence, death of sitting member) Result of council at last election (2015): Labour 29, Conservatives 13 (Labour majority of 16) Result of ward at last election (2015): Emboldened denotes elected Conservatives 1,237, 1,197 (37%) Labour 962, 876 (29%) United Kingdom Independence Party 633 (19%) Green Party 250 (8%) Liberal Democrat 237 (7%) EU Referendum Result (2016): REMAIN 21,781 (33%) LEAVE 45,146 (67%) on a turnout of 65% Candidates duly nominated: Kevan Benfold (Lib Dem), Walter Cairns (UKIP), Michele Scott (Con), Ian Treasure (Lab) Weather at the close of polls: Clear, 6°C Estimate: Conservative HOLD (Con 36%, Lab 28%, Lib Dem 25%, UKIP 9%, Green 1%)

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Thirst
  • Options
    You estimate Greens will get 1% in Blackpool even though they aren't standing. Impressive.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,838
    Well done Harry and Mike for the excellent work in compiling and posting these every week.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Thanks Harry!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894
    edited March 2017
    Is this a "talking about myself and how I define myself against others" thread or was that just the last one?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Thanks for this, Mr. Hayfield.

FPT: And whilst I'm not working, if anybody's interest in English history has been piqued, I can strongly recommend a few books.
    A Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England, by Ian Mortimer, is a very engaging look at everyday life, mostly around the 14th century.

In chronological order, some good biographies are:
    The Greatest Knight: The Remarkable Life of William Marshal, by Thomas Asbridge
    A Great and Terrible King: Edward I and the Forging of Britain, by Marc Morris
    The Greatest Traitor: The Life of Sir Roger Mortimer, by Ian Mortimer
    The Perfect King: The Life of Edward III, by Ian Mortimer

I really should get myself another medieval history at some point. When I've finished the three books on my to-read pile. And if I have the time. And money.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Holy Cats in Leicester

"The evil pair shot one victim with a crossbow, and used a baseball bat with “The Pain” scrawled on it to threaten the 11 children in a sickening campaign of hate at their squalid home.

Nicholas, 47, and Joan, 44, are now facing jail after they were found guilty of nearly 100 offences committed against 11 victims between 1996 and 2006...

The young boys and girls were all aged 16 or under at the time of the vile abuse.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3108261/sick-couple-drugged-kids-with-crack-forced-them-to-carry-out-sex-acts-and-shot-crossbow-darts-at-a-boy/?CMP=Spklr-_-Editorial-_-TheSun-_-News-_-TwImageandlink-_-Statement-_-TWITTER
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    FPT
    Alistair said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

I have to give the SNP some credit.

They even have the unionists thinking and talking in separatist language, and they've turned devolution into agitation.

That's pretty impressive for the side that lost by eleven points.

Cameron gave them everything they needed to keep on fighting the morning after the referendum result was announced. And just about everything that has happened since has played into the SNP's hands.

The SNP have thrived due to perceptions of inadequacy with Labour and treachery with the coalition-forming Liberal Democrats. This plus the longstanding emnity towards the Tories fractured the winning Remain vote.

The key to me though is that both their formidable election successes have come at a time when the Scottish left was in disarray yet the 2014 referendum result seemingly guaranteed membership of the United Kingdom "for a generation" so the SNP could not pursue their main objective. A part of their vote was given to them whilst they were being curbed.

Quite what the real SNP vote is with independence as a live, rather than subdued, issue remains to be seen.

I strongly suspect that it's lower than the percentages achieved in 2014, 2015 and 2016.
    Err doesn't 2011 answer that question?
    Yes, it may well be.

SNP 2011: 902,000
    SNP 2015: 1,454,000
    SNP 2016: 1,016,000

I see polls (Yougov) telling me anything up to a third of 2015 SNP voters don't actually want independence and a minimum of 16% from 2016.

It's as if there are a few hundred thousand Scottish Margaret Beckett's who thought there would be no harm voting for Jezza/SNP only for the law of unintended consequences to kick in.

In that context, and with Brexit negotiations in play, I can understand why May would be willing to agree a 2021 referendum as it provides an opportunity to unwind these votes.

I can also see why Sturgeon might like this date. The Indy planning last time hadn't addressed certain issues. A long lead in would give no excuse for not being prepared this time.
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642
    South Heaton in Newcastle looks vulnerable to the Yellow Surge!
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    It has been posted before I'm guessing but;
    https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/842378752785022979

I think we can see why Sturgeon called the new Scexit, someone was going to blindside her at conference.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    isam said:

Is this a "talking about myself and how I define myself against others" thread or was that just the last one?

Isn't that every thread?
  • Options
    edited March 2017

isam said:

Isn't that every thread?
    As an animal loving, mafist who gives a lotta money to charidee but doesn't like to talk about it, I barely have time to notice... those on the left whose politicians like to suck up to the Guardian and Observer deserve all they get.

I weep for my county
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    HaroldO said:

I think we can see why Sturgeon called the new Scexit, someone was going to blindside her at conference.

Once again the vile Salmond wrapping himself in the Saltire and defiling it with his SNP filth. He's a Westminster politician and he doesn't speak for Scots. The last refuge of this revolting scoundrel is nationalism.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Holy Cats in Leicester

"The evil pair shot one victim with a crossbow, and used a baseball bat with “The Pain” scrawled on it to threaten the 11 children in a sickening campaign of hate at their squalid home.

Nicholas, 47, and Joan, 44, are now facing jail after they were found guilty of nearly 100 offences committed against 11 victims between 1996 and 2006...

The young boys and girls were all aged 16 or under at the time of the vile abuse.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3108261/sick-couple-drugged-kids-with-crack-forced-them-to-carry-out-sex-acts-and-shot-crossbow-darts-at-a-boy/?CMP=Spklr-_-Editorial-_-TheSun-_-News-_-TwImageandlink-_-Statement-_-TWITTER

Look like a couple of thicko Leavers too.. they're all the same
  • Options

HaroldO said:

Once again the vile Salmond wrapping himself in the Saltire and defiling it with his SNP filth. He's a Westminster politician and he doesn't speak for Scots. The last refuge of this revolting scoundrel is nationalism.
    Watching a real nationalist in motion is quite depressing, he questions peoples patriotism for not agreeing with him. He's hitting Farage-esque heights now.
  • Options
    Man Utd's opponents, Rostov, have only brought 3 outfield substitutes
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

Watching a real nationalist in motion is quite depressing, he questions peoples patriotism for not agreeing with him. He's hitting Farage-esque heights now.
    Five pensions Eck is well insulated from his destructive rhetoric. He's trying to whip up genuine ethnic strife.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    edited March 2017

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

Five pensions Eck is well insulated from his destructive rhetoric. He's trying to whip up genuine ethnic strife.
    given his wife is 79 this year youd have thought he might want to spend some time with her
  • Options
    isam said:

PlatoSaid said:

Holy Cats in Leicester

:lol:

I've spent today in a war of attrition with my neighbours who keep playing very loud music. I decided to wage my own campaign turned up to 11. My ears are ringing, but after two stints several hours long attempting to drown them out - they've gone silent.

They've had everything I could throw with either a very heavy beat, drumming or yelling vocals. I really can't understand why people are so frigging inconsiderate. I'm as quiet as a mouse.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Gosh.
    The last time I looked the previous thread had DCCCXXXII entries.
    That's magnam gratium
  • Options

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

given his wife is 79 this year youd have thought he might want to spend some time with her
    Or not. In his base case.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    In case anyone is still wondering why the left is unpopular in England, a peek at the last thread will confirm that many on the left don't seem that fond of England...
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262

Cyan said:

OllyT said:

Mr. Bojabob, so, because your side lost a vote you no longer love a country that previously you did?

That's rather sad. Sadder still that you feel as much (or more) loyalty to foreigners than your own people.

Mr. Nabavi, indeed, and I wish those who keep raising stupid little regional assemblies in England would learn that lesson and not make an even worse error of judgement.

Although a centrist in political terms I'm an atheist and oppose the idea of an hereditary head of state.a patriot I would have to subscribe to "God Save the Queen" so in all honesty I can't consider myself a patriot either - the concept has pretty much been appropriated by English right -wingers in the UK.
    Monarchism is a right-wing thing. Personally I avoid calling Britain the "UK". The UK is a political regime. Britain is a country. Calling Britain "the UK" is like calling France "the fifth Republic". I am English and British but I am not a "UK-er", other than that's the monarchist crap that's written on my passport.
    Britain is not and never has been a country.
    What's your reason for taking that view? Do you think countries can't contain and be constituted by other countries? So the USSR and Czechoslovakia weren't countries? Your view would imply that there isn't any such thing as British nationalism, British patriotism, British national identity - but there is.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    And May was having such a quiet week...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited March 2017
    Cyan said:

Cyan said:

OllyT said:

Mr. Bojabob, so, because your side lost a vote you no longer love a country that previously you did?

That's rather sad. Sadder still that you feel as much (or more) loyalty to foreigners than your own people.

Mr. Nabavi, indeed, and I wish those who keep raising stupid little regional assemblies in England would learn that lesson and not make an even worse error of judgement.

Although a centrist in political terms I'm an atheist and oppose the idea of an hereditary head of state.a patriot I would have to subscribe to "God Save the Queen" so in all honesty I can't consider myself a patriot either - the concept has pretty much been appropriated by English right -wingers in the UK.
    Monarchism is a right-wing thing. Personally I avoid calling Britain the "UK". The UK is a political regime. Britain is a country. Calling Britain "the UK" is like calling France "the fifth Republic". I am English and British but I am not a "UK-er", other than that's the monarchist crap that's written on my passport.
    What's your reason for taking that view? Do you think countries can't contain and be constituted by other countries? So the USSR and Czechoslovakia weren't countries? Your view would imply that there isn't any such thing as British nationalism, British patriotism, British national identity - but there is.
    When was the country of Britain founded?

Hint: Not at he same time as the United Kingdom.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    Cyan said:

Cyan said:

OllyT said:

Richard is completely right I think. However I'm British and my country is called 'Great Britain'.

• Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,201
    HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

Um, remainers have had that thrown at them continually for the last year by leavers, and not all of them Faragistes.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    edited March 2017
    Mortimer said:

In case anyone is still wondering why the left is unpopular in England, a peek at the last thread will confirm that many on the left don't seem that fond of England...

In the global league table of leftie hatred of nations the UK (or more particularly England) takes a bronze and comes a strong third behind gold medallist the USA and Israel with silver. That of course explains their hatred of Trump and Brexit UK and their love of Scottish nationalism and Palestinian self determination
  • Options

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

Um, remainers have had that thrown at them continually for the last year by leavers, and not all of them Faragistes.
    I haven't so far, I think I must live a sheltered life heh.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I've got a solution to the Brexit/Scottish question.

It really is brilliant.

Here it is: we all fully expect Brexit to be a massive success, of course: leading to a huge boom in the economy, a vast influx of wealth, and large gas discoveries under Alistair Meeks' house.

But what if Brexit is a total fucking failure? What if we cleverly engineer a situation where the country has zero trade deals, the City collapses, and we fall into a Depression comparable with the Black Death?

This will:

1. Please Remoaners like Meeks, who will feel vindicated
    2. Please Brexiteers, because we're still OUT
    3. Ensure the Scots vote STAY, because things will be so bad they'll be terrified of making things even worse
    4. Please the SNP, because they can carry on whingeing forever and ever

That's it. Make Brexit a disaster. Everyone happy. Result.

"It really is brilliant. " - Would you mind awfully if I disagreed with that?

I look forwards to the SeanT solution mark 2. It'll certainly be an improvement!

• Options
    edited March 2017
    SeanT said:

It really is brilliant.

Here it is: we all fully expect Brexit to be a massive success, of course: leading to a huge boom in the economy, a vast influx of wealth, and large gas discoveries under Alistair Meeks' house.

But what if Brexit is a total fucking failure? What if we cleverly engineer a situation where the country has zero trade deals, the City collapses, and we fall into a Depression comparable with the Black Death?

This will:

3. Ensure the Scots vote STAY, because things will be so bad they'll be terrified of making things even worse

The Scots have every possible permutation in front of them, and a probable free option. They should try them all out

Part of the UK in the EU (1974-2019 (?))
    Part of an independent UK (2019-21)
    Outside the UK and the EU (2021-204)
    Outside of the UK and an EU member (2024 onwards)

If the last one doesn't work, we'll take them back to stage 2
  • Options
    Harry - you have Labour and Conservative reversed in South Ribble which is Conservative controlled.
    The current political make-up of South Ribble Council is as follows: Conservative 28; Labour 18; Liberal Democrat 2; Independent Labour 1; Vacancy 1.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

SeanT said:

It really is brilliant.

This will:

I look forwards to the SeanT solution mark 2. It'll certainly be an improvement!

The only flaw in the SeanT solution is that it would please the French...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

In the global league table of leftie hatred of nations the UK (or more particularly England) takes a bronze and comes a strong third behind gold medallist the USA and Israel with silver. That of course explains their hatred of Trump and Brexit UK and the love of Scottish nationalism and Palestinian self determination
    Michelle Obama's comment that the first time she felt proud to be an American was upon her husband's election to the Presidency was unforgettable.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    isam said:

SeanT said:

It really is brilliant.

This will:

The Scots have every possible permutation in front of them, and a probable free option. They should try them all out

Part of the UK in the EU (1974-2019 (?))
    Part of an independent UK (2019-21)
    Outside the UK and the EU (2021-204)
    Outside of the UK and an EU member (2024 onwards)

If the last one doesn't work, we'll take them back to stage 2
    No, we won't.
  • Options
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336

Thanks for this, Mr. Hayfield.

FPT: And whilst I'm not working, if anybody's interest in English history has been piqued, I can strongly recommend a few books.
    A Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England, by Ian Mortimer, is a very engaging look at everyday life, mostly around the 14th century.

In chronological order, some good biographies are:
    The Greatest Knight: The Remarkable Life of William Marshal, by Thomas Asbridge
    A Great and Terrible King: Edward I and the Forging of Britain, by Marc Morris
    The Greatest Traitor: The Life of Sir Roger Mortimer, by Ian Mortimer
    The Perfect King: The Life of Edward III, by Ian Mortimer

I really should get myself another medieval history at some point. When I've finished the three books on my to-read pile. And if I have the time. And money.

I would also recommend Robert Tombs The English and their History; comprehensive, excellent and balanced.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

In the global league table of leftie hatred of nations the UK (or more particularly England) takes a bronze and comes a strong third behind gold medallist the USA and Israel with silver. That of course explains their hatred of Trump and Brexit UK and their love of Scottish nationalism and Palestinian self determination
    Nah, I ain't buying that. It's only a certain type of leftie that thinks like that. The Labour voters I know are all as patriotic as I am, no matter what culture they come from.
  • Options
    I wonder what a graphologist would make of that signature ? A chimpanzee ?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

isam said:

PlatoSaid said:

Holy Cats in Leicester

:lol:

I've spent today in a war of attrition with my neighbours who keep playing very loud music. I decided to wage my own campaign turned up to 11. My ears are ringing, but after two stints several hours long attempting to drown them out - they've gone silent.

They've had everything I could throw with either a very heavy beat, drumming or yelling vocals. I really can't understand why people are so frigging inconsiderate. I'm as quiet as a mouse.
    Download a Youtube video of a baby squalling REALLY REALLY loudly, then play it at full volume for hours.

It is indescribably insufferable, and will silence any neighbour, and if they complain tell them their music is making your baby cry.

I did it for some annoying students having a party in the flat above me. At 5am. They haven't had a loud party since.
    Surely there's a clumsy, constitutional metaphor re. our current imbroglio to be squeezed out of that?
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

No, elderly person.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Omnium said:

SeanT said:

It really is brilliant.

This will:

No, it wouldn't.

When Brexit is a disaster, we implement Churchill's solution, and merge the UK and France. Clearly we can't use Paris, because that would be humiliating, and Lyon is too far from anywhere (except the Alps) so I would propose we site the new capital in France's third largest city, Londres.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,201

Who would expect you to do other than play the man?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,318
    Cyan said:

Cyan said:

OllyT said:

isam said:

lol. Elegantly put.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Lauren is a trifle rich for my blood, but she's spot on here re WH press room

https://youtu.be/hmSSgtBe-CE
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,200
    Charles said:

Omnium said:

SeanT said:

It really is brilliant.

This will:

No, it wouldn't.

When Brexit is a disaster, we implement Churchill's solution, and merge the UK and France. Clearly we can't use Paris, because that would be humiliating, and Lyon is too far from anywhere (except the Alps) so I would propose we site the new capital in France's third largest city, Londres.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Sunil060902/sandbox
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Sandpit said:

Well done Harry and Mike for the excellent work in compiling and posting these every week.

agreed. A wonderful service. Thank you
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Nah, I ain't buying that. It's only a certain type of leftie that thinks like that. The Labour voters I know are all as patriotic as I am, no matter what culture they come from.
    In terms of the UK government though in the eyes of the global left it is only a small step down from the Trump administration at best
  • Options
    LEAVE 494
    REMAIN 122
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

In the global league table of leftie hatred of nations the UK (or more particularly England) takes a bronze and comes a strong third behind gold medallist the USA and Israel with silver. That of course explains their hatred of Trump and Brexit UK and the love of Scottish nationalism and Palestinian self determination
    Michelle Obama's comment that the first time she felt proud to be an American was upon her husband's election to the Presidency was unforgettable.
    Yes that pretty much explains the mindset
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Er, sorry to break it to you Hezza bout TM has "changed her mind" after the country voted to LEAVE the EU...
  • Options
    I'm posting this message a few miles from South Heaton :)
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    I now look forward to seeing local by election results on Friday mornings!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919

Parkinson's
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

It might be worth pondering why lefties in the UK, USA and Israel hold that view compared to there countries. Might be a bit of challenge for some.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Why does the blonde have a photo of Piccadilly as a back drop ?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691
    SeanT said:

It really is brilliant.

This will:

Minus the poetic licence, and without any clever engineering, that's sort of what's going to happen in my opinion. Would it actually deliver those four neatly defined results? Or would the four groups just dissolve into a mutual blame game?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Parkinson's
    Great man, Cecil.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

I'd agree with that. Lefty activists often seem far less patriotic than the average Labour voter.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Omnium said:

Cyan said:

Cyan said:

OllyT said:

Richard is completely right I think. However I'm British and my country is called 'Great Britain'.

No you aren't, Britain is no more a country than North America is, it's the name of a piece of land. And Great is a purely geographical qualifier to distinguish it from the other Britain, aka Brittany.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Omnium said:

Cyan said:

Cyan said:

OllyT said:

No you aren't, Britain is no more a country than North America is, it's the name of a piece of land. And Great is a purely geographical qualifier to distinguish it from the other Britain, aka Brittany.
    We use "British" as a shorthand for "United Kingdomish", the same way "American" is shorthand for "United Statesish".

eg. British Airways, and American Airlines.
  • Options
    I have to say that sounds entirely plausible to me.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

I'd agree with that. Lefty activists often seem far less patriotic than the average Labour voter.
    Out of interest do you consider it possible to be a republican and a patriot in this country.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,938
    edited March 2017
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

I am a proud supporter of Labour Friends of Israel. I also don't think self-determination is something to be criticised. My dislike of Trump (not hatred) is because he is dangerously inexperienced, and pushing a radical programme with shallow support.
  • Options
    Could a geologist check my building for gas discoveries? I wouldn't want the Brexit boom to be literal in my case.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

It has to be observed that she is decidedly HOT
    She looks OK :)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    OllyT said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Out of interest do you consider it possible to be a republican and a patriot in this country.
    Traditionally the monarchy comes fairly far down the order of loyalty

Family, God, Queen and Country
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918
    A thoroughly dishonest and disingenuous letter would be more accurate.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

It might be worth pondering why lefties in the UK, USA and Israel hold that view compared to there countries. Might be a bit of challenge for some.
    Indeed but it is the general economic success of those nations which allows them to be able to afford to wallow in self indulgent loathing of them
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

I am a proud supporter of Labour Friends of Israel. I also don't think self-determination is something to be criticised. My dislike of Trump (not hatred) is because he is dangerously inexperienced, and pushing a radical programme with shallow support.
    In Corbyn's Labour Party almost a contradiction in terms, despite the few dissenters still holding firm
  • Options
    BaskervilleBaskerville Posts: 391
    Dear PB,

Surely, you only sign a letter Yours Sincerely if you know the person you're writing to; Heseltine claims never to have met TM.

And if you address someone by their title, shouldn't you sign it Yours Faithfully?

Yours Pedantly,

Baskerville
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Omnium said:

Cyan said:

Cyan said:

OllyT said:

We use "British" as a shorthand for "United Kingdomish", the same way "American" is shorthand for "United Statesish".

eg. British Airways, and American Airlines.
    Good point. Come to think of it, HMQ is Her Britannic Majesty on passports.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Cyan said:

Cyan said:

OllyT said:

Again there is no such thing. Great Britain is an area of physical geography not a country. It is as accurate as claiming ones country is Fingal's Cave or the Trent Valley.
  • Options

Who would expect you to do other than play the man?
    Playing the hominid.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,938
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

In Corbyn's Labour Party almost a contradiction in terms, despite the few dissenters still holding firm
    Not so. There are considerably more of us than you imagine. Also Labour does not belong to Corbyn.
  • Options

I have to say that sounds entirely plausible to me.
    And the ministerial responsibility would lie with none other than Boris. An excuse to expunge?
  • Options

Dear PB,

Surely, you only sign a letter Yours Sincerely if you know the person you're writing to; Heseltine claims never to have met TM.

And if you address someone by their title, shouldn't you sign it Yours Faithfully?

Yours Pedantly,

Baskerville
    Dear Sir/Madam,

Blah, blah, blah.

Yours Faithfully
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Omnium said:

Cyan said:

Cyan said:

OllyT said:

I'm sorry but I stand by my statement, and will always stand by it.

'Great Britain' is my country whether you like it or not, and I suspect that's true for others.

I've already said that there may be some grounds to dismiss this label, and you have quite fairly done so. However you'd be in a very unwise place indeed though if you dismissed my and others identification with a country (fictitious or otherwise) called Great Britain.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Dear PB,

Yours Pedantly,

Baskerville
    Is it sincerely ? It looks like a heart beat recorded by a primitive ECG machine.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Not so. There are considerably more of us than you imagine. Also Labour does not belong to Corbyn.
    Kudos to you and your fellow members but Labour voters are firmly in the Palestinians corner, according to a 2014 poll 31% had more sympathy with the Palestinians compared to only 13% with Israel, 28% of Tory voters by contrast had more sympathy with Israel and 15% with the Palestinians
    https://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/03/11/israel-and-palestine-whose-side-britain/
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

Dear PB,

Yours Pedantly,

Baskerville
    he's also mixing his date formats
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Omnium said:

Cyan said:

Cyan said:

OllyT said:

I'm sorry but I stand by my statement, and will always stand by it.

'Great Britain' is my country whether you like it or not, and I suspect that's true for others.

I've already said that there may be some grounds to dismiss this label, and you have quite fairly done so. However you'd be in a very unwise place indeed though if you dismissed my and others identification with a country (fictitious or otherwise) called Great Britain.
    I live in hope that at some point in the not too distant future your fictitious identification will be proven once and for all when the State of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland ceases to exist and what remains are the existing Countries of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

Dear PB,

Yours Pedantly,

Baskerville
    he's also mixing his date formats
    Also double space after full stop scum.
  • Options

I live in hope that at some point in the not too distant future your fictitious identification will be proven once and for all when the State of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland ceases to exist and what remains are the existing Countries of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

You'll regret it when the end result is that we learn to appreciate the point of European federalism.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Omnium said:

Cyan said:

Cyan said:

OllyT said:

Sure? Some say Great Britain as a political term comes from Ptolemy, contrasting it with Ireland

Politically it derives from the final* union of England, Scotland and Wales

*maybe
    Golly, it is more complicated than i thought. Wiki agrees that Ptolemy thought GB was GB and little Britain was Ireland, but then Geoffrey of Monmouth decided that little Britain was Brittany. Not sure where that gets us.

And king James I/VI called himself king of GB.
  • Options
    In 65 years following football I have never seen a relay passing a banana onto the field of play for a player to eat to boost his energy
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited March 2017
    SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

I hadn't realised how far this self-loathing syphilis had spread across Europe until recent scandals involving migrants came to light.

Liberal Tim Pool's videocasts from Sweden were just astonishing. The Swedish press simply lied about what he found, deliberately mistranslated him, tried to persuade him that what he saw with his own eyes wasn't true, and that even if it was true, he shouldn't report it.

https://twitter.com/Timcast
    The best interview of that series was with the Afghan Swedish cop. The elected officials on the other hand just would argue black was white. The reports of the media were very disturbing , not only misreporting him but things like his claims of re-pixelating a criminal from black to white as not to appear racist.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Omnium said:

Cyan said:

Cyan said:

OllyT said:

Again there is no such thing. Great Britain is an area of physical geography not a country. It is as accurate as claiming ones country is Fingal's Cave or the Trent Valley.
    Ok, well if it didn't exist before it does now.

So. Is there such a thing? Well yes there must be because if it didn't exist already then it does now, and there can be no quibbles about the right to define such things as nobody knows who defined any of these such things in the first place.

So. I'm British and my country is called 'Great Britain'. Any objections?

PS You are not Richard Tyndall - that person doesn't exist!
  • Options
    hfds;gjnsf;gadsjvz'czxdf
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited March 2017
    We like on here to discuss about how top gear has gone down the tubes ....It appears ch4 wants to outdo that with GBBO...

After months of speculation, Noel Fielding and Sandi Toksvig were confirmed as the new hosts of The Great British Bake Off on Thursday. The trio will join expert new judge Prue Leith, as well as show stalwart Paul Hollywood, when the series returns to screens later this year on Channel 4.

They should have just gone the whole hog and got wussely brand.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:
    Mind you I expect some Labour members prefer to be in opposition with Corbyn than in government with Blair
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

I hadn't realised how far this self-loathing syphilis had spread across Europe until recent scandals involving migrants came to light.

Liberal Tim Pool's videocasts from Sweden were just astonishing. The Swedish press simply lied about what he found, deliberately mistranslated him, tried to persuade him that what he saw with his own eyes wasn't true, and that even if it was true, he shouldn't report it.

https://twitter.com/Timcast
    The best interview of that series was with the Afghan Swedish cop. The elected officials on the other hand just would argue black was white. The reports of the media were very disturbing , not only misreporting him but things like his claims of re-pixelating a criminal from black to white as not to appear racist.
    A muslim country in 10 years
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Cyan said:

Cyan said:

OllyT said:

Ok, well if it didn't exist before it does now.

So. Is there such a thing? Well yes there must be because if it didn't exist already then it does now, and there can be no quibbles about the right to define such things as nobody knows who defined any of these such things in the first place.

So. I'm British and my country is called 'Great Britain'. Any objections?
    Yes. It is a fantasy, There is no such country as Great Britain. There is not even a State called Great Britain either legally or constitutionally.
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642
    Mortimer

Not sure if you are referring to me? Read my post. I reckon it's pretty clear I love England, a beautiful verdant land, kissed by soft reliable rain, punctured by the artful stone builds of men, quenched by beer.
    Charles said:

OllyT said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Traditionally the monarchy comes fairly far down the order of loyalty

Family, God, Queen and Country
    That God and Queen come higher than country is odd. A bloke that doesn't exist and a woman you have never met versus a beautiful verdant land, with pubs. Pubs!
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

In 65 years following football I have never seen a relay passing a banana onto the field of play for a player to eat to boost his energy

That suggests you have seen it now. Why is it allowed under the rules?
  • Options

You'll regret it when the end result is that we learn to appreciate the point of European federalism.
    No William, just like all your other predictions this is another that will never come to pass. It must be hard to see your dreams crumbling before your eyes.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Danny565 said:
    Six weeks later Labour won the election by a margin of 13%!
This discussion has been closed.