Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP: circling the whirlpool

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

nunu said:

I think its important for SO to recognise that Brexit happened because if unlimited immigration allowed in by Blair.

I think Brexit won because of the financial crash and the austerity that resulted from it. That's what made immigration the huge issue that it has become.

What puzzles me is that we have full employment, with loads of Easten Europeans ‘taking our jobs.’ And we were pretty close to full employment from early 2016 onwards.

Of course I’m well aware that the influx of said EE’s has held down wages rates, but if we stop EE immigration where are the people going to come from to do these jobs?
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711

Duh, Radio Nottingham has just rung to say they'd like to interview m in minutes on Osborne and the Standard. Need to decide what I actually think about that - think I'm more worried about politicians running newspapers than about the issue of representing Tatton properly, which is up to voters there.

I think it is a sign that bright politicians are realising that the main political force in this country is now the media and if they want to change and control things, then the media is where they need to be.

Media actually has more power and influence on the decisions these days than democratically elected politicians. Witness T May's bowing down to pressure from several newspapers over the NI increase, or the way the media have totally destroyed Corbyn and turned "Corbyn cannot win an election" into a national meme.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

I think Brexit won because of Black Wednesday.

Ultimately the UK is too big and too proud a nation to be in the EU but not in the Euro.

So if (when) we recant you'll advocate joining the Euro?
    If I'm advocating joining the EU then yes I would be advocating joining the Euro.

If I'm not prepared to advocate joining the Euro, I won't be advocating joining the EU.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning all.

A fine article Mr Herdson, but then having said most of that already, of course I’d agree. :lol:
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    edited March 2017

HYUFD said:

Joanna Cherry is using a lot of Theresa May's lines on Sky at the moment... "Free trade with Scotland is not just in Scotland's interests, it's also in the interests of the rest of the UK."

Yes but that depends on the EU keeping free trade with the UK when May ends free movement from the EU or Scotland leaving the UK and not joining the EEA
    If Scotland leaves the union what May things about any subject whatsoever will be immaterial. She'll be out on her ear.
    No because free trade from an independent Scotland in the EEA to the UK depends on May concluding a soft Brexit from the EU and certainly avoiding WTO terms
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Broon to the rescue!

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/843006167836254209

Bad idea. If Scotland leaves the United Kingdom, they'd claim the 'Scotland' bit, however nonsensical that might be. If you want to change the name, call it 'Bank of United Kingdom'.....not that I'd bother.....

Scotland already own part of it you dumpling.
    Technically you don't - it's 100% owned by HMT.

But in a negotiated settlement you'd have an argument for a pro rata share of its net asset value. As of 30 September that was £3.4 billion. I wouldn't have thought that £350 million is the most important thing for you to focus on, but each to their own...
    No matter how you cut it or try to obfuscate, Scotland owns a share and a share of all the assets held within it. As part of all the other assets of the UK it has a value.
    Oh not this nonsense again.

If the UK was being dissolved you may have an argument, but it would not be upon Scotland leaving - the UK would still exist and Scotland would be the only new state. Leaving a country absolutely does not mean that the leaving part is entitled to the country's assets.

Of course if you do insist on going down the line of wanting 8% or whatever of UK assets then you must also take 8% of the liabilities. AGREED?
    Yes of course I do not promote welching like some on here re England and the EU. How you get that a "United Kingdom " can still exist when it is no longer "United" beats me but there we are .
    Unless Northern Ireland left too it would stay the UK, otherwise it would become England and Wales. If Northern Ireland joined the Republic as a united Ireland it would lose the monarchy, even the SNP have said an independent Scotland would keep the monarchy as it did under the Stuarts (Cromwell excepted)
    So it would be England and some other bits and pieces United Kingdom
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Joanna Cherry is using a lot of Theresa May's lines on Sky at the moment... "Free trade with Scotland is not just in Scotland's interests, it's also in the interests of the rest of the UK."

Yes but that depends on the EU keeping free trade with the UK when May ends free movement from the EU or Scotland leaving the UK and not joining the EEA
    If Scotland leaves the union what May things about any subject whatsoever will be immaterial. She'll be out on her ear.
    I doubt that's any more true now than Juncker being out on his ear since the UK voted to leave the union.

If Scotland votes to leave then that will be for the Scots to own.
  • Options

nunu said:

I think its important for SO to recognise that Brexit happened because if unlimited immigration allowed in by Blair.

I think Brexit won because of the financial crash and the austerity that resulted from it. That's what made immigration the huge issue that it has become.

What puzzles me is that we have full employment, with loads of Easten Europeans ‘taking our jobs.’ And we were pretty close to full employment from early 2016 onwards.

Of course I’m well aware that the influx of said EE’s has held down wages rates, but if we stop EE immigration where are the people going to come from to do these jobs?
    Perhaps those on benefits could be employed, we have millions of them receiving largesse whilst the EE's do the jobs they should be employed in.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,929
    OllyT said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Doesn't that strengthen May's hand?
    Ireland's vote is only technically needed to extend negotiations. Approval of the deal is subject to QMV.

The UK government's current position is that this question can be magicked away with technology. Will that stand up to reality?
    Yes it is subject to QMV - but if Ireland won't sign a deal then it would have to leave the EU.

It increases the cost of failure for the EU - another factor encouraging them to act rationally in negotiations
    Playing brinkmanship over issues like this would be the surest way to ensure the UK's territorial integrity is called into question.
    That's why we won't play the card. Everyone knows it exists, that's all that matters

You've really never done much negotiating, have you?
    No doubt you will be an expert, all that ordering about of footmen and butlers with your silver spoon honed your skills, add a dash of pomposity and hey voila.
    Wouldn't pretend to be an expert. But big companies hire me to negotiate on their behalf. Given that I'm not cheap (I don't get out of bed for less than $1 million) I guess they think I add value.
    Arrogance and deriding other people does not make me think you would be any good. Keep waving that silver spoon. Even Trump can make millions when he is handed Daddy's money to start off.
    There are 2 or 3 posters on PB who would be better off on Facebook bragging about how much they earn, what brilliant hotels they staying in and how much they have just spent on a bottle of wine. It's only a matter of time before they start posting their holiday pics. I assume they think everyone else is interested either that or it's a not-so-subtle way of saying my opinion is more important because look how successful I am.
    And how much tax they pay *yawn*
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

HYUFD said:

I doubt that's any more true now than Juncker being out on his ear since the UK voted to leave the union.

The two situations are not comparable. May has ramped up the unionist rhetoric to 11 in the past few days. If the union doesn't hold, it's her own lookout.
  • Options

Telegraph not sitting on the fence over incident in Paris..

Radicalised Muslim known to security agencies shot dead in 'terror' incident at Paris airport - miles from where Duke and Duchess are due to meet

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/18/man-shot-killed-security-forces-paris-airport-attempting-seize/

There was also an incident yesterday where 'someone in Muslim clothing' slit his brothers and fathers throats in broad daylight in a posh Parisian neighbourhood.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Broon to the rescue!

Bad idea. If Scotland leaves the United Kingdom, they'd claim the 'Scotland' bit, however nonsensical that might be. If you want to change the name, call it 'Bank of United Kingdom'.....not that I'd bother.....

But in a negotiated settlement you'd have an argument for a pro rata share of its net asset value. As of 30 September that was £3.4 billion. I wouldn't have thought that £350 million is the most important thing for you to focus on, but each to their own...
    No matter how you cut it or try to obfuscate, Scotland owns a share and a share of all the assets held within it. As part of all the other assets of the UK it has a value.

If the UK was being dissolved you may have an argument, but it would not be upon Scotland leaving - the UK would still exist and Scotland would be the only new state. Leaving a country absolutely does not mean that the leaving part is entitled to the country's assets.

Of course if you do insist on going down the line of wanting 8% or whatever of UK assets then you must also take 8% of the liabilities. AGREED?
    Yes of course I do not promote welching like some on here re England and the EU. How you get that a "United Kingdom " can still exist when it is no longer "United" beats me but there we are .
    Unless Northern Ireland left too it would stay the UK, otherwise it would become England and Wales. If Northern Ireland joined the Republic as a united Ireland it would lose the monarchy, even the SNP have said an independent Scotland would keep the monarchy as it did under the Stuarts (Cromwell excepted)
    Well.England is still the largest entity in the UK now
  • Options

nunu said:

There is never a static supply of jobs. Nobody is ever "just" a worker but every single person is a consumer too.

More people = more demand = more jobs.
    Less people = less demand = less jobs.

Whether the UK's population is 10mn, 60mn, 70mn, 100mn or 200mn is absolutely inconsequential for the unemployment rate.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Broon to the rescue!

What else is new?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Broon to the rescue!

Malc, we'll invade 'em and just call it all England.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

HYUFD said:

The two situations are not comparable. May has ramped up the unionist rhetoric to 11 in the past few days. If the union doesn't hold, it's her own lookout.
    It is holding as most polls show, problem for Juncker was he never showed the same passion to keep the UK
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    isam said:

OllyT said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Ireland's vote is only technically needed to extend negotiations. Approval of the deal is subject to QMV.

The UK government's current position is that this question can be magicked away with technology. Will that stand up to reality?
    Yes it is subject to QMV - but if Ireland won't sign a deal then it would have to leave the EU.

It increases the cost of failure for the EU - another factor encouraging them to act rationally in negotiations
    Playing brinkmanship over issues like this would be the surest way to ensure the UK's territorial integrity is called into question.
    That's why we won't play the card. Everyone knows it exists, that's all that matters

No doubt you will be an expert, all that ordering about of footmen and butlers with your silver spoon honed your skills, add a dash of pomposity and hey voila.
    Wouldn't pretend to be an expert. But big companies hire me to negotiate on their behalf. Given that I'm not cheap (I don't get out of bed for less than $1 million) I guess they think I add value.
    Arrogance and deriding other people does not make me think you would be any good. Keep waving that silver spoon. Even Trump can make millions when he is handed Daddy's money to start off.
    There are 2 or 3 posters on PB who would be better off on Facebook bragging about how much they earn, what brilliant hotels they staying in and how much they have just spent on a bottle of wine. It's only a matter of time before they start posting their holiday pics. I assume they think everyone else is interested either that or it's a not-so-subtle way of saying my opinion is more important because look how successful I am.
    Self employed. Therefore they pay discounted NIC.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    edited March 2017
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

I might be in a minority on the Right here who think Gordon Brown is onto something with his comments.

But, I have been saying on here for some months that Holyrood should gain EU powers post Brexit, as has Michael Gove.

Agreed.

I always assumed that Brexit would mean bringing back many powers not just to Westminster but to the devolved parliaments and would essentially bring in a new constitutional settlement for the UK for the 21st century.
    Morning GIN, you did not foolishly think hte Tories would let any of the powers get out of Westminsters grasp. Unless it is useless it will not be devolved.
    Morning Malc,

The Tories may not wish to devolve powers they get back from the EU to the regions and devolved parliaments but I don't think they'll have much choice in the end.

Of course it'll be an on-going process and the Tories will probably only devolve the minimum legislation they think they can get away with... But the Tories won't be in power at Westminster forever... ;)
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    edited March 2017
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

I might be in a minority on the Right here who think Gordon Brown is onto something with his comments.

But, I have been saying on here for some months that Holyrood should gain EU powers post Brexit, as has Michael Gove.

Agreed.

I always assumed that Brexit would mean bringing back many powers not just to Westminster but to the devolved parliaments and would essentially bring in a new constitutional settlement for the UK for the 21st century.
    Morning GIN, you did not foolishly think hte Tories would let any of the powers get out of Westminsters grasp. Unless it is useless it will not be devolved.
    Morning Malc - I do expect powers will be devolved as long as there is goodwill - the whole process will take many years to evolve but I cannot see Nicola's referendum taking place before 2021. I am interested to know if you agree that Nicola has jumped the gun and would have been prudent to wait at least until the end of Brexit talks and then demand the referendum
    Morning G, They will never devolve any of the meaningful powers that can make a difference, it is all tinkering on the edges. I think she had to go for it , Tories are treating Scottish parliament like sh**
    and May's treating Scotland like a colony will only cause more of a stir. Lots of moves to come and I doubt that position will hold.
    While working in Edinburgh I met my wife to be and when I travelled to meet her parents in Lossiemouth I was introduced as an Englishman (though I am as much Welsh as English) but that ' he is not too bad for an Englishman'. This was in the early sixties but I was soon part of the family, not least because having had my childhood in Berwick and worked in Edinburgh I had no difficulty with the North East tongue.

My Father in law was a highly successful fisherman who was one of the finest persons I have ever had the priveledge to know. He was proud of his heritage and had many stories about fishing and his exploits. He was pro the Union and was angry about the effect the EU had on the Scottish fishing fleet.

If he had been alive today he would have been saddened at the polarised nature of the debates and most certainly would have been pro SNP, pro Brexit but for the Union.

I believe there are many in Scotland with this view which also is the view of my wife and I.

I hope this explains why I support the Union

• Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    OllyT said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I think silver spoons are more often found - not stuck in mouths but elsewhere !
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

@ Southam

oh the joyful inconsistency

two days ago it was the english caused Brexit, now it's the british

I now realise I should have voted to remain to keep the Irish happy.
    it will be a long wait

SO and I have been on this board for many years and he still hasnt apologised to me for causing the potato famine.

git.

That was the right wing, English nationalist, protestant ascendency, of which I am not part ;-)

I'm surprised to find you were alive in the 1840s

My ancestors were - destitute, deprived of any democratic representation and held in contempt by the protestant ascendency.

So were (some of) mine, and they lived in Yorkshire and Westmorland.

In the 1840s, nearly all the country was deprived of any democratic representation and given little consideration in the political process.

Which is why - going back to Mr Brooke's original point - I (we) do not owe him an apology for the Irish potato famine :-)

yes you do

and Sunil owes me an apology for the Croke Park massacre
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082

nunu said:

Brown was shouting "British Jobs For British Workers" in September 2007.

Immigration was already having an effect upon working class Labour supporters before the recession.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,718

FF43 said:

Yep - I have very different views of those who voted for Brexit and those who led the Brexit campaign. I fear that the latter are going to let the former down big-time.

I totally get why Leave won - huge numbers of people feel that they have no real stake in the country as it currently functions (which is why Scottish independence is so attractive too, of course). What I don't see is how Brexit will change anything, except for the worse at the margins. It doesn't have to be like that, but the Hard Brexit path we have embarked on means that it probably will be.

I'm with you. Brexit isn't going to solve a single real problem we have. It's going to make several real problems we do have that much harder to solve as well as introducing new ones. But I am sympathetic to those that felt left behind and voted to make their voices heard. It's all very well us liberals saying our way is superior, but we were the ones leaving those people behind.
    One very real problem we have that it will address is the buck-passing politicians won't be able to say "because Brussels ..." to problems anymore.
    I am absolutely certain they will continue to say "because Brussels ..."And if they didn't the problems still wouldn't be solved, hence the buck passing.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Agreed.

Morning Malc,

The Tories may not wish to devolve powers they get back from the EU to the regions and devolved parliaments but I don't think they'll have much choice in the end.

Of course it'll be an on-going process and the Tories will probably only devolve the minimum legislation they think they can get away with... But the Tories won't be in power at Westminster forever... ;)
    I note that within Browns interesting speech on a federal UK he has nothing to say on an English Parliament however.

If we are going to go truly federal after Brexit it's only fair the English are given their own Parliament.

He also has nothing to say on HoL reform which must surely be part of any federal solution.

So it's typical Brown really... Thinking about the Scot's but nothing else to say about the other regions.

But I have to give Gord credit. At least he is facing up to the reality the UK is now in... Unlike Blair, Major, Heseltine and the rest of the establishment who still seem to be completely denial about Brexit and what comes afterwards.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Broon to the rescue!

Of course it is but you cannot have a "United" if you are on your jack jones
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,335

nunu said:

Ultimately the UK is too big and too proud a nation to be in the EU but not in the Euro.
    Opting out of the euro at its inception bought us 10 years but, ultimately, the UK had a choice of EU + Euro and co-leading both, or to Leave and plough its own path.

The EU simply weren't willing to do the reforms necessary to make a multi-tiered EU work in the long-term. That would have become apparent even if we'd voted to Remain.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    "Main base" is that what they call brass plates these days?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    OllyT said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

What do you mean "Only a matter of time"...SeanT regularly shows us his holiday snaps...well the ones that are suitable for work ones anyway.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,335

@ Southam

oh the joyful inconsistency

two days ago it was the english caused Brexit, now it's the british

I now realise I should have voted to remain to keep the Irish happy.
    it will be a long wait

SO and I have been on this board for many years and he still hasnt apologised to me for causing the potato famine.

git.

That was the right wing, English nationalist, protestant ascendency, of which I am not part ;-)

I'm surprised to find you were alive in the 1840s

My ancestors were - destitute, deprived of any democratic representation and held in contempt by the protestant ascendency.

So were (some of) mine, and they lived in Yorkshire and Westmorland.

In the 1840s, nearly all the country was deprived of any democratic representation and given little consideration in the political process.
    It was viewed differently back then. MPs, of the time, would have viewed themselves as virtual representatives of the whole community and leaders of their its interests, and acting altogether in Parliament in the national interest.

"Democracy" was a bit of a dirty word associated with revolutions.
    Yes, they would, although it didn't work that well in practice and is a good example of rationalising a moral benefit to the protection of the interests of their own class, or at least, the classes who were directly engaged in politics.
    Yes, but it's interesting how some have now come full circle and are making the same non-democratic arguments about the outcome of the EU referendum.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Agreed.

Morning Malc - I do expect powers will be devolved as long as there is goodwill - the whole process will take many years to evolve but I cannot see Nicola's referendum taking place before 2021. I am interested to know if you agree that Nicola has jumped the gun and would have been prudent to wait at least until the end of Brexit talks and then demand the referendum
    Morning G, They will never devolve any of the meaningful powers that can make a difference, it is all tinkering on the edges. I think she had to go for it , Tories are treating Scottish parliament like sh**
    and May's treating Scotland like a colony will only cause more of a stir. Lots of moves to come and I doubt that position will hold.

If he had been alive today he would have been saddened at the polarised nature of the debates and most certainly would have been pro SNP, pro Brexit but for the Union.

I believe there are many in Scotland with this view which also is the view of my wife and I.

G, no problem supporting the union , my gripe is that, that union is no longer there. Westminster rule the roost and have done so badly for many years now and they seem determined to wreck the union. It is only a matter of time as more and more people realise they are treated as a colony and not a partner.
  • Options
    isam said:

Radicalised Muslim known to security agencies shot dead in 'terror' incident at Paris airport - miles from where Duke and Duchess are due to meet

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/18/man-shot-killed-security-forces-paris-airport-attempting-seize/

There was also an incident yesterday where 'someone in Muslim clothing' slit his brothers and fathers throats in broad daylight in a posh Parisian neighbourhood.
    I am sure just a minor family dispute.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Agreed.

Morning Malc,

GIN, hard to see Labour getting it together any time soon, they have nobody capable of ever gaining power.
  • Options

OllyT said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

What do you mean "Only a matter of time"...SeanT regularly shows us his holiday snaps...well the ones that are suitable for work ones anyway.
    What is it with trying to drive off other posters?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

isam said:

OllyT said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Self employed. Therefore they pay discounted NIC.
    Will also pay minimum tax as they "Avoid" it compared to your average PAYE worker.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Agreed.

Morning Malc,

I note that within Browns interesting speech on a federal UK he has nothing to say on an English Parliament however.

If we are going to go truly federal after Brexit it's only fair the English are given their own Parliament.

He also has nothing to say on HoL reform which must surely be part of any federal solution.

So it's typical Brown really... Thinking about the Scot's but nothing else to say about the other regions.

But I have to give Gord credit. At least he is facing up to the reality the UK is now in... Unlike Blair, Major, Heseltine and the rest of the establishment who still seem to be completely denial about Brexit and what comes afterwards.
    I hold no brief for Brown, but perhaps he feels it's up to English politicians to make their own case. How much of a hearing are English voters likely to give him?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Not exactly surprising

Kom News
    #BREAKING: Turkey's Erdogan says capital punishment to be restored in country following constitutional referendum - Kom News #Turkey https://t.co/eefxUNqPcq
  • Options

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Broon to the rescue!

Malc, we'll invade 'em and just call it all England.
    TFS was that not already done many times. BBC think UK = England already.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Broon to the rescue!

So two out of three small nations in the UK don't count for diddly squat in your eyes, but the other small nation in the UK is immensely important. Where is the line drawn that means Wales and Northern Ireland are so puny as to be completely inconsequential to you and why should we not apply that logic to Scots?
  • Options

isam said:

I am sure just a minor family dispute.
    But they were in "Muslim clothing". I wonder what clothes did Fred West and Harold Shipman used to wear ?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    The union, for a vast majority of its history, has survived with Scotland being represented in Westminster only, and it has always been able to be out voted by 'England'. Except England is not represented in Westminster, constituencies are, and they all have equal weight and say.

To say Scotland is being treated like a colony is ridiculous. It has much greater autonomy and control than any area of England.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Agreed.

Morning Malc,

I hold no brief for Brown, but perhaps he feels it's up to English politicians to make their own case. How much of a hearing are English voters likely to give him?
    Well he was UK Prime Minister and (hopefully) governed with the English, Welsh and Northern Irish as well as Scottish in mind?

Although I was never a fan, personally I am interested in what he has to say. Primarily because unlike most of the establishment who seem intent on sticking their fingers in their ears and trying to pretend Brexit isn't happening or can be somehow reversed, Brown is at least facing up to reality and trying to be constructive about what happens after 2019.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    PlatoSaid said:

Not exactly surprising

Kom News
    #BREAKING: Turkey's Erdogan says capital punishment to be restored in country following constitutional referendum - Kom News #Turkey https://t.co/eefxUNqPcq

So, that's EU membership out then.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Broon to the rescue!

If the UK was being dissolved you may have an argument, but it would not be upon Scotland leaving -
    So two out of three small nations in the UK don't count for diddly squat in your eyes, but the other small nation in the UK is immensely important. Where is the line drawn that means Wales and Northern Ireland are so puny as to be completely inconsequential to you and why should we not apply that logic to Scots?
    LOL, In your eyes you t***, when do they ever get a mention , they are seen as nobodies by Westminster and the ruling elite. You constantly see comments about them sponging, as you do Scotland.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

nunu said:

Immigration was already having an effect upon working class Labour supporters before the recession.
    A humongous lie from Labour in 2003-4 changed the lives of millions of working class people. Instead of acknowledging the deceit, Blair, Brown then Cameron doubled down on it and blamed those whose lives were affected for complaining.

"Bigoted woman" "Closet racists" etc etc

Without all that it is extremely unlikely we would have voted for Brexit. UKIP would never have got an MP or anywhere near 13% of the vote
  • Options
    I see the BBC still have no idea about the attacker in Paris or any possible motive....Even the Guardian are reporting information about the attacker etc. I blame Tory cuts.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Surbiton, did Fred West and Harold Shipman fly planes into skyscrapers, or establish a Nation of Murderers in the Middle East?

Your comparison is as flawed as the Roman tactics at the Battle of Arausio.

Miss Plato, not surprising indeed, and very sad.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    The last batch of nominations for the French presidency was published today. The following 11 candidates received 500+:

FILLON François 3635
    HAMON Benoît 2039
    MACRON Emmanuel 1829
    MELENCHON Jean-Luc 805
    LASSALLE Jean 708
    DUPONT-AIGNAN Nicolas 707
    ARTHAUD Nathalie 637
    LE PEN Marine 627
    ASSELINEAU François 587
    POUTOU Philippe 573
    CHEMINADE Jacques 528

The following didn't:

YADE Rama 353
    JUPPE Alain 313

and several others, all with fewer than 200
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Although I was never a fan personally I am interested in what he has to say. Primarily because unlike most of the establishment who seem intent on sticking their fingers in their ears and trying to pretend Brexit isn't happening Brown is at least facing up to reality and trying to be constructive about what happens after 2019.

Thinking about what happens after 2019 is all well and good, but it's what happens before then that really matters. The path of least resistance is increasingly pointing towards Scottish independence.
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, not to worry, yesterday the BBC's Asian Network was asking what the right punishment for blasphemy was.
  • Options

The union, for a vast majority of its history, has survived with Scotland being represented in Westminster only, and it has always been able to be out voted by 'England'. Except England is not represented in Westminster, constituencies are, and they all have equal weight and say.

To say Scotland is being treated like a colony is ridiculous. It has much greater autonomy and control than any area of England.

Westminster is the English parliament, whatever England wants it can vote and get it. Scotland has to beg for anything it would like and nowadays we get put in our place like a pet dog. If you think that is good for Scotland you need to take a look at yourself and get a backbone. It is no longer a union , we are a colony.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Not exactly surprising

Kom News

So, that's EU membership out then.
    I don't think Erdogan ever gave a toss about that. Others might have.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Agreed.

G, no problem supporting the union , my gripe is that, that union is no longer there. Westminster rule the roost and have done so badly for many years now and they seem determined to wreck the union. It is only a matter of time as more and more people realise they are treated as a colony and not a partner.
    I am more optimistic about the future and do believe that further powers will be devolved to Scotland - indeed in time the UK could become more of a federal state but it follows that an English Parliament would be part of the process. This of course will take years but let's hope that sense will prevail and a solution will become apparent for everyone that does not include separation
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Agreed.

Morning Malc,

To be fair, probably not much of one. He's a busted flush South of the border. I think England suffers from a general apathy about English Nationalism. It's been uncool to be English for quite a while, and the flag is often sneered at for being racist and offensive to minorities after being appropriated by the far right. We need to reclaim that, and try and make England relevant again. I appreciate that England is the biggest part of the Union and dominant in its power at Westminster, but it is really a timid beast.
  • Options
    Mr. Cyan, interesting Juppe got a few, and Le Pen wasn't that far over the line.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405

nunu said:

There is never a static supply of jobs. Nobody is ever "just" a worker but every single person is a consumer too.

Whether the UK's population is 10mn, 60mn, 70mn, 100mn or 200mn is absolutely inconsequential for the unemployment rate.
    These people do not exist -

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peoplenotinwork/economicinactivity/timeseries/lf2m/lms

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Agreed.

Morning Malc,

Well he was UK Prime Minister and (hopefully) governed with the English, Welsh and Northern Irish as well as Scottish in mind?

Although I was never a fan, personally I am interested in what he has to say. Primarily because unlike most of the establishment who seem intent on sticking their fingers in their ears and trying to pretend Brexit isn't happening or can be somehow reversed, Brown is at least facing up to reality and trying to be constructive about what happens after 2019.
    GIN, he will spout utter crap just as he has always done , he was always useless. Him and his party voted against everything the idiot says should now happen. How many times do you listen to a lying toerag.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Not exactly surprising

Kom News

He has banned dating shows, in his defence
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Although I was never a fan personally I am interested in what he has to say. Primarily because unlike most of the establishment who seem intent on sticking their fingers in their ears and trying to pretend Brexit isn't happening Brown is at least facing up to reality and trying to be constructive about what happens after 2019.

Thinking about what happens after 2019 is all well and good, but it's what happens before then that really matters. The path of least resistance is increasingly pointing towards Scottish independence.
    Well my position on that is as it always has been. If Scotland wants to leave the the Union then I wish them farewell and all the best as they forge their new future.

What remains of the former UK can still move forwards into a federal system post Brexit though. Why not?
  • Options

Mr. Urquhart, not to worry, yesterday the BBC's Asian Network was asking what the right punishment for blasphemy was.

The fact the BBC have an Asian Network then complain about no money for anything, is blasphemy.
  • Options

nunu said:

These people do not exist -

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peoplenotinwork/economicinactivity/timeseries/lf2m/lms

These people do exist and they would exist regardless of what the population is. Just as all dogs are animals but not all animals are dogs - all workers are consumers but not all consumers are workers.

Some people just don't want to work, or just aren't cut out for it, or prefer to rely upon the welfare state, or are temporarily between jobs etc - it has absolutely nothing at all to do with immigration.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    isam said:

PlatoSaid said:

Not exactly surprising

Kom News

Perhaps pending a relaunch of (Arranged) Blind Date, where your parents pick, you must have a chaperone at all times and you don't get to see the lady you are dating until after marriage.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Agreed.

Morning G, They will never devolve any of the meaningful powers that can make a difference, it is all

I am more optimistic about the future and do believe that further powers will be devolved to Scotland - indeed in time the UK could become more of a federal state but it follows that an English Parliament would be part of the process. This of course will take years but let's hope that sense will prevail and a solution will become apparent for everyone that does not include separation
    G, I wished I could believe your optimism was likely to ever be reality, deeds point to another conclusion, treating Scotland as if it was a pet dog is not pointing to a fair union for the future.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    malcolmg said:

GIN, he will spout utter crap just as he has always done , he was always useless. Him and his party voted against everything the idiot says should now happen. How many times do you listen to a lying toerag.

You have a point Malc... But the world has changed since 23rd June so I'm giving Gord the benefit of the doubt and hoping he is genuine about trying to seize a new post Brexit settlement for the UK.

And with that I'm off into the garden. :smiley:
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Well my position on that is as it always has been. If Scotland wants to leave the the Union then I wish them farewell and all the best as they forge their new future.

What remains of the former UK can still move forwards into a federal system post Brexit though. Why not?
    A federal system for Northumbria, Wessex and Mercia?
  • Options

Cremation of all those who deny the Six Articles.

http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/Documents/act_six_articles.htm

Obviously.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

nunu said:

It's all here pretty much:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/earningsandworkinghours/timeseries/kac3/lms

• Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Agreed.

Morning Malc,

To be fair, probably not much of one. He's a busted flush South of the border. I think England suffers from a general apathy about English Nationalism. It's been uncool to be English for quite a while, and the flag is often sneered at for being racist and offensive to minorities after being appropriated by the far right. We need to reclaim that, and try and make England relevant again. I appreciate that England is the biggest part of the Union and dominant in its power at Westminster, but it is really a timid beast.
    TFS , no more than he is a busted flush in Scotland, why they dig that cretin out of his coffin every couple of years to spout garbage beggars belief.
  • Options
    Mrs C, an English Parliament.
  • Options
    Mr. Malmesbury, I occasionally read snippets of the Time Traveller's Guide to Elizabethan England, and just the other day was perusing the religion chapter. A more puritanical version of the Anglican church (banning more symbols and the like) was only defeated by a single vote.

Of course, this was a more backward country (for most people) in the 16th century.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Agreed.

Morning G, They will never devolve any of the meaningful powers that can make a difference, it is all

G, I wished I could believe your optimism was likely to ever be reality, deeds point to another conclusion, treating Scotland as if it was a pet dog is not pointing to a fair union for the future.
    The response to these amazing times will need compromise but I do believe the PM should be allowed to negotiate with the EU and her efforts need to be judged once a deal is reached and how good that is for Scotland. It does not help anyone for Nicola to start an Independence campaign now when she should have called it following the negotiations
  • Options
    edited March 2017

And many more powers for Wales and (if they wish to remain part of the former UK) Northern Ireland as well. Not to mention more powers for the Capital.

And while I wouldn't go for devolved Parliaments for West Mercia, Northumbria, etc. I see no reason why the regions of England and Wales shouldn't also have more power handed down to them.

We're taking back control and part of that should be giving the people as much empowerment as possible.

#PowerToThePeople

And with that I really am off.
  • Options

Mr. Malmesbury, I occasionally read snippets of the Time Traveller's Guide to Elizabethan England, and just the other day was perusing the religion chapter. A more puritanical version of the Anglican church (banning more symbols and the like) was only defeated by a single vote.

Of course, this was a more backward country (for most people) in the 16th century.

I see no reason to import foreign hysterical, murderous religious bigotry into this country - we have plenty of traditional, British, hysterical, murderous religious bigotry to be getting on with.

British Religious Bigotry for British Religious Bigots!
  • Options

isam said:

PlatoSaid said:

Not exactly surprising

Kom News

Perhaps pending a relaunch of (Arranged) Blind Date, where your parents pick, you must have a chaperone at all times and you don't get to see the lady you are dating until after marriage.
    After which no one else is ever allowed to see her again!
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    OllyT said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

*claps*
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Westminster is the English parliament, whatever England wants it can vote and get it. Scotland has to beg for anything it would like and nowadays we get put in our place like a pet dog. If you think that is good for Scotland you need to take a look at yourself and get a backbone. It is no longer a union , we are a colony.
    'England' does not collectively vote for anything. I elect an MP to represent Gateshead. We have just as much of a vote as Glasgow North.

Your victim complex is very tiring.
  • Options

OllyT said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

*claps*
    It's not actually compulsory to post on here, you know.
  • Options

It does not help anyone for Nicola to start an Independence campaign now when she should have called it following the negotiations

It does not help anyone for Theresa May to start a campaign for the union now when she should have done it before setting out her negotiating strategy for Brexit.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

A federal system for Northumbria, Wessex and Mercia?
    And Sussex, don't go lumping us in with those awful Wessex people; we were a proud and independent kingdom whilst those oiks were still wearing woad. Better give Kent their own space too, they are an odd lot over there and also smell funny. Probably the peoples of East Anglia won't want to be lumped in with Mercia either or, for that matter, take Essex under their wing (who would?).
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Clever way to undermine a referendumb.

https://twitter.com/scotlandinunion/status/842680064525459456
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Agreed.

The response to these amazing times will need compromise but I do believe the PM should be allowed to negotiate with the EU and her efforts need to be judged once a deal is reached and how good that is for Scotland. It does not help anyone for Nicola to start an Independence campaign now when she should have called it following the negotiations
    G, it needs to run in parallel and decision once matters are clear on negotiations , forcing it till after Brexit and making things much worse for Scotland is not a viable option.
  • Options

It does not help anyone for Nicola to start an Independence campaign now when she should have called it following the negotiations

It does not help anyone for Theresa May to start a campaign for the union now when she should have done it before setting out her negotiating strategy for Brexit.
    To be honest no matter what Theresa May did, you would say it is wrong
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

nunu said:

Opting out of the euro at its inception bought us 10 years but, ultimately, the UK had a choice of EU + Euro and co-leading both, or to Leave and plough its own path.

The EU simply weren't willing to do the reforms necessary to make a multi-tiered EU work in the long-term. That would have become apparent even if we'd voted to Remain.
    Actually I think Black Wednesday is a good nail-in-the-coffin moment, in terms of blocking a certain path to the UK's total economic integration with Europe it thereby sealed off the possibility of political integration. And eventually half-in half-out becomes unsustainable.

But I'd even suggest it goes as far as Maastricht. It was clear then that the UK and the other members were tacking a different course. And it was pretty obvious then, wasn't it, that the UK wasn't going to try catching up with the rest later? And that the rest weren't going to wait up, that a single currency was going to require radical integration to work, up to a single chancellery?
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited March 2017
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN, he will spout utter crap just as he has always done , he was always useless
    This is so true. He and Whitehall probably think it was his intervention that won the indyref. But you are right: Brown has never done anything other than spout crap.

However, this is also true of Sturgeon: the whole discourse about Scotland and the EU is lying crap. For those of us who want to keep the Union, the problem is that none of the Unionist parties can respond to Sturgeon's crap with any vision for improving and strengthening the Union. They have zero imagination. Given that England has four times the combined population of the rest of Britain, an English parliament with powers comparable to the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish assemblies is obviously not the solution, so all they do is to hint at a possible Devomax if the Scot Nats promise to shut up after they get it. A "chuck the kilted freemasons some money, because we all know what freemasons like best of all" policy. But giving your opponent a nice wedge to stick their crowbar in has never been a way to avoid getting broken up. Never mind kidding yourself that it's a nice small wedge and you said they could have it only if they don't use too much force on their crowbar. While the SNP are selling snake oil, and they are the spoiltest brattiest most annoying bunch of mendacious juvenile bullshitters in Britain, the Unionists haven't a clue how to play their hand, they have no imagination, and they can offer no leadership.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Broon to the rescue!

In population terms Wales and NI are quite close to the total population of Scotland. I'd like the Scots to stay but I suspect like most in England I'm not overly fussed. gordon Brown suggestion today apparently expects newly devolved Scotland to still benefit from Barnett formula funding. Yeah right!
  • Options

malcolmg said:

'England' does not collectively vote for anything. I elect an MP to represent Gateshead. We have just as much of a vote as Glasgow North.

You are obviously not willing or able to understand arithmetic, feel free not to reply and save tiring yourself.
  • Options

Well, we are going the right way about it. We have jettisoned Europe, Scotland's ejection is making good progress, the Irish are on a separate island so no worries there.

Now what to do with the Welsh?

• Options
    edited March 2017
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

You are obviously not willing or able to understand arithmetic, feel free not to reply and save tiring yourself.
    Scotland is able to out-vote Northumberland. Is Northumberland a colony?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    There are three doors..

'Imagine there was a referendum which gave you three options for Scotland's future, which one would you choose?

Scotland becoming independent from the UK 34%
    Scotland remaining part of the UK, but with more devolved powers 30%
    Scotland remaining part of the UK, with the same devolved powers as it has now 27%
    Don't know 10%'

https://twitter.com/WhatScotsThink/status/843070570564653057
  • Options

But I'd even suggest it goes as far as Maastricht. It was clear then that the UK and the other members were tacking a different course. And it was pretty obvious then, wasn't it, that the UK wasn't going to try catching up with the rest later? And that the rest weren't going to wait up, that a single currency was going to require radical integration to work, up to a single chancellery?

A single chancellery? Even in the USA, every single state raises the majority of its tax revenue independently of central government.
  • Options

And Sussex, don't go lumping us in with those awful Wessex people; we were a proud and independent kingdom whilst those oiks were still wearing woad.

Sussex? Is that really a place then?

Better give Kent their own space too, they are an odd lot over there and also smell funny.

Now you are just being absurd. With that tunnel thingie, Kent is Nord de France. We need a Trumpian wall...

Probably the peoples of East Anglia won't want to be lumped in with Mercia either or, for that matter, take Essex under their wing (who would?).

That is the wet, soggy bit isn't it? No one goes there....
  • Options
    edited March 2017

A single chancellery? Even in the USA, every single state raises the majority of its tax revenue independently of central government.
    Well spotted. A typo of the mind. I meant a central chancellery, not necessarily one that ran the majority of tax-and-spend directly. (Although budget approval is an important and distinct issue.)
  • Options

Well, we are going the right way about it. We have jettisoned Europe, Scotland's ejection is making good progress, the Irish are on a separate island so no worries there.

Now what to do with the Welsh?

Let them go if they want. Or stay. I guess it's down to them. As it is the Scots. Why fight for something that is dying, and not working for the people anymore? Opinions are changing, voters are looking for something different. It won't all work out for the best, but that's humanity, I guess.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

There are three doors..

'Imagine there was a referendum which gave you three options for Scotland's future, which one would you choose?

Scotland remaining part of the UK, with the same devolved powers as it has now 27%
    Don't know 10%'

Why isn't there a choice for abolishing Holyrood and dynamiting the Scottish Parliament Building ?
  • Options
    edited March 2017

G, I am not that desperate a supporter of independence. If things were done in a fair and equitable manner , as happened many years ago then I would happily stay as it is. That is not the case and the only way I can see for Scotland to get a fair shot is with independence, we will never get it from the Tories.
  • Options

There are three doors..

Don't know 10%'

That looks pretty close. A gamble for both Westminster and the SNP.
  • Options
    Mrs C, the Scottish situation is due primarily to Labour's cack-handed devolution. The establishment of Holyrood was determined by a Scottish vote, the composition of the current Scottish Parliament by a Scottish election.

It takes an unorthodox and creative application of logic to blame that on the English.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

G, I am not that desperate a supporter of independence. If things were done in a fair and equitable manner , as happened many years ago then I would happily stay as it is. That is not the case and the only way I can see for Scotland to get a fair shot is wit hindependence, we will never get it from the Tories.
    Abolish Holyrood and everything will be fair and equitable. :)
  • Options
    felix said:

Gordon Brown suggestion today apparently expects newly devolved Scotland to still benefit from Barnett formula funding. Yeah right!

Something I posted yesterday on same topic was how interesting it is that one of the main reasons being suggested for Scotland not achieving independence, is the 9%ish budget deficit they'd face. Big in Scottish terms but not such a huge deal in UK terms.

If the Conservative and Unionist Party really, really felt like putting the Union first, it would not take a grand realignment of public spending (circa 1% of UK GDP, on the back of an envelope) to subsidise Scotland to a tune that would be equivalent to them facing a 20% budget deficit if they every took the Sindy route. That scale of bribery wouldn't just make the Union more attractive - it would make crashing out of the union almost impossible.

Such largesse could be justified from a patriotic point of view as the cost of preserving the Union. It could be justified from the social point of view, as supporting some of the least well-off, more unhealthy, shortest life-expectancy regions of Britain. And while the scale of such bribery would be tricky, if it were to be prioritised, genuinely affordable.

Is it politically plausible? If May is serious about saving the union, she isn't going to be able to do it by charming the pants off the Scots. Money would do the talking better for her.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

nunu said:

Actually I think Black Wednesday is a good nail-in-the-coffin moment, in terms of blocking a certain path to the UK's total economic integration with Europe it thereby sealed off the possibility of political integration. And eventually half-in half-out becomes unsustainable.

Maastricht was certainly the turning point for me, Mr. Ears. Until then I had been a supporter of the EEC and the UK's membership of it (I voted to stay in 1975). Though I was unhappy with some aspects of the policies we adopted as a result. After Maastricht I became convinced that it was in the UK's best interest (and the EU's) that we leave.
This discussion has been closed.