Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP: circling the whirlpool

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937

It apears we are not ein volk according to this Tory.

'Bebb has written a column in his local paper arguing that Scotland is “clearly another country” and that his “gut feeling” is Scottish voters no longer see themselves as British. Fair to say these comments from a serving government minister are not in line with Theresa May’s position that “at heart we are one people”'

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/843097696294633474

Quebec is arguably even more so than the rest of Canada, they speak a different language too but they still voted against separation twice
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,359
    SeanT said:

Something for everyone here, in a fascinating article on "Islamisation" and the West.

The rise in Muslim populations in Western Europe directly correlates with the rise in hard right parties. Implying that if they reach 15-20% we'll see Fascists in power.

But the author contends they will never reach that level, and he has some intriguing data, which surprised me: e.g. birthrates in Turkey and Iran are now BELOW replacement level

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/why-the-fear-of-islamization-is-driving-populist-right-support/

Is he too sanguine? I dunno.

I was surprised to hear recently that birthrates in Bangladesh are now around replacement levels. Not thirty years ago, Bangladesh was a byword for excessive birthrates: ina generation, they've fallen from about 6 to around 2.5.

I'd be interested to know what the birthrates of the Islamic population in western countries is and whether it is following the same trends.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

Driving to client meeting and feeling a little sad for arsenal as listen to latest defeat. This is an odd sensation... like it not do i.

End of an era.
    Don't feel sorry for the Arse. Problems all of their own making. They can afford to buy and train the best players in the world. Their ticket prices are the highest in the world, along with Chelsea. They have one of the biggest stadiums in the world and the biggest number of attendees per annum. They are quids in. It's their own fault for sticking with the Jeremy Corbyn of football.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Cyan said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

Ishmael_Z said:

surbiton said:

Angela's triumph....contd.

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump
    Despite what you have heard from the FAKE NEWS, I had a GREAT meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel. Nevertheless, Germany owes.....

...vast sums of money to NATO & the United States must be paid more for the powerful, and very expensive, defense it provides to Germany.

Why should Germany pay the US any money ? Is that idiot/compulsive liar now deciding international law ?
    Because Germany agreed with NATO in 2006 to spend 2% of GDP on defence. Some questions of international law are reasonably straightforward, and this is one of those.
    1. There was no contractual agreement. 2. Why should the US be paid ? Why not other countries too ?
    Trump isn't actually asking Merkel to fly over with a suitcase full of euro. He's asking Germany to spend more, so there is less pressure on the US Defense* budget

(*Is it defence or defense? What's the difference? Also licence, license, practice, practise, I always get this wrong)
    In British English it's always "defence", and with "practise/practice" and "license/licence" there is the same verb/noun distinction as with "advise/advice". "Defense" is the US spelling.
    Ta!
    Not knowing such basic stuff, I am glad you don't make a living as a writer....oh wait.
    Everybody - and every writer - has these little lacunae. My dad doesn't know how to pronounce "gibbet". Keeps getting it wrong, even when he teaches himself the corrrect way.
    Only teasing. Everybody has these quirks that no matter how much you try to learn them for whatever reason they just won't stick.
  • Options

Cyan said:

'Bebb has written a column in his local paper arguing that Scotland is “clearly another country” and that his “gut feeling” is Scottish voters no longer see themselves as British. Fair to say these comments from a serving government minister are not in line with Theresa May’s position that “at heart we are one people”'

Guto Bebb MP accepted a donation from Russian energy company director Alexander Temerko (report in Wales Online, 2014) and he lists in his entry in the Commons register of interests another donation from the same Russian energy company director in 2016.
    Bebb started his political career in Plaid Cymru. Left, according to Wikipedia because he was Eurosceptic.
    Not only that but his grandfather co-founded Plaid Cymru
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrose_Bebb
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Cyan said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

Ishmael_Z said:

surbiton said:

Despite what you have heard from the FAKE NEWS, I had a GREAT meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel. Nevertheless, Germany owes.....

...vast sums of money to NATO & the United States must be paid more for the powerful, and very expensive, defense it provides to Germany.

Why should Germany pay the US any money ? Is that idiot/compulsive liar now deciding international law ?
    Because Germany agreed with NATO in 2006 to spend 2% of GDP on defence. Some questions of international law are reasonably straightforward, and this is one of those.
    1. There was no contractual agreement. 2. Why should the US be paid ? Why not other countries too ?
    Trump isn't actually asking Merkel to fly over with a suitcase full of euro. He's asking Germany to spend more, so there is less pressure on the US Defense* budget

(*Is it defence or defense? What's the difference? Also licence, license, practice, practise, I always get this wrong)
    In British English it's always "defence", and with "practise/practice" and "license/licence" there is the same verb/noun distinction as with "advise/advice". "Defense" is the US spelling.
    Ta!
    Not knowing such basic stuff, I am glad you don't make a living as a writer....oh wait.
    Everybody - and every writer - has these little lacunae. My dad doesn't know how to pronounce "gibbet". Keeps getting it wrong, even when he teaches himself the corrrect way.
    Only teasing. Everybody has these quirks that no matter how much you try to learn them for whatever reason they just won't stick.
    Now I use the computer (or phone) to write stuff, and far less of the pen-and-paper, my memory of basic spellings has deteriorated badly. I wonder whether it's the automated spelling correction that has done for me, or whether it's something kinaesthetic - when handwriting, particularly with a nice pen, the shape of words has a "feel" to them, which I can recognise, and I've noticed my spelling quality differs between keyboard and pen.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Cyan said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

Ishmael_Z said:

surbiton said:

Ta!
    Now I use the computer (or phone) to write stuff, and far less of the pen-and-paper, my memory of basic spellings has deteriorated badly. I wonder whether it's the automated spelling correction that has done for me, or whether it's something kinaesthetic - when handwriting, particularly with a nice pen, the shape of words has a "feel" to them, which I can recognise, and I've noticed my spelling quality differs between keyboard and pen.
    I know my ability to spell has gone down the toilet. I was at a friends house a few weeks ago and their kid was doing spelling homework and I was about as much use as Jeremy Corbyn...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited March 2017
    Interesting that Hammond has introduced another stealth tax with increased fees for obtaining a probate form, which will mean some people having to pay £20,000 instead of £200 from May, and smaller increases for most other people.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tax/inheritance/new-death-tax-confirmed-probate-fees-20000-will-apply-may/
    https://www.hughjames.com/news/comment/2017/02/probate-court-fees-set-increase-substantially-may-2017/
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Cookie said:

SeanT said:

Something for everyone here, in a fascinating article on "Islamisation" and the West.

The rise in Muslim populations in Western Europe directly correlates with the rise in hard right parties. Implying that if they reach 15-20% we'll see Fascists in power.

But the author contends they will never reach that level, and he has some intriguing data, which surprised me: e.g. birthrates in Turkey and Iran are now BELOW replacement level

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/why-the-fear-of-islamization-is-driving-populist-right-support/

I was surprised to hear recently that birthrates in Bangladesh are now around replacement levels. Not thirty years ago, Bangladesh was a byword for excessive birthrates: ina generation, they've fallen from about 6 to around 2.5.

I'd be interested to know what the birthrates of the Islamic population in western countries is and whether it is following the same trends.
    Mr. Cookie, there is some swedish professor, whose name escapes me, who puts forward what appears to be a very credible case that the world has in fact reached "peak-child". He uses the example of Bangladesh as a key plank in his argument. There are still some areas of Africa in which the number of children exceed the average, but with better women's education and the improvements of medical facilities these will, it is believed follow the Bangladesh example.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    HYUFD said:

Quebec is arguably even more so than the rest of Canada, they speak a different language too but they still voted against separation twice
    Indeed. Some do feel scotland is significantly different, on both sides, but I would hope most don't. Distinct, yes. But no other country different.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Cyan said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

Ishmael_Z said:

surbiton said:

Ta!
    Dictating software will emphasise that effect and accelerate the process. May have an impact on relationships, too, as people fail to check what they've dictated and send off mistaken stuff.

Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Cookie said:

SeanT said:

That isn't new, it's been the case for about ten years in Bangladesh. But Pakistan still has much higher rates, so much so that the country has surpassed Bangladesh's population recently.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Cyan said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

Ishmael_Z said:

surbiton said:

Ta!
    Now I use the computer (or phone) to write stuff, and far less of the pen-and-paper, my memory of basic spellings has deteriorated badly. I wonder whether it's the automated spelling correction ords has a "feel" to them, which I can recognise, and I've noticed my spelling quality differs between keyboard and pen.
    I know my ability to spell has gone down the toilet. I was at a friends house a few weeks ago and their kid was doing spelling homework and I was about as much use as Jeremy Corbyn...
    Now now, there are situations he would be useful. Anti austerity rally , pro Palestinian rally, man hole cover appreciation annual dinner.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    SeanT said:

I do so much typing, on laptop or phone, and so little longhand, my handwriting is now in such disuse it is virtually illegible. I literally struggle to make it readable, writing an address on an envelope takes about 5 minutes, with my tongue slightly sticking out of my mouth, like a 6 year old.

You have no idea how much your's and Mr. Ears' comments on this matter have given me comfort. I am not the only one who seems to have forgotten how to write longhand, it is not to do with age or me losing my marbles. Well maybe not altogether.

Thank you both.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    Brexit ne va plus.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Cookie said:

SeanT said:

"In reality, the family sizes of Muslim immigrant groups are converging fast with those of average Westerners — faster, it seems, than either Jewish or Catholic immigrants did in their time. Muslims in France and Germany are now having only 2.2 children per family, barely above the national average. And while Pakistani immigrants in Britain have 3.5 children each, their British-born daughters have only 2.5. Across Europe, the difference between the Muslim and non-Muslim fertility rate has fallen from 0.7 to 0.4, and is headed toward a continent-wide convergence."

http://dougsaunders.net/2013/09/10-myths-about-muslim-immigrants-in-the-west/
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916

SeanT said:

I do so much typing, on laptop or phone, and so little longhand, my handwriting is now in such disuse it is virtually illegible. I literally struggle to make it readable, writing an address on an envelope takes about 5 minutes, with my tongue slightly sticking out of my mouth, like a 6 year old.

You have no idea how much your's and Mr. Ears' comments on this matter have given me comfort. I am not the only one who seems to have forgotten how to write longhand, it is not to do with age or me losing my marbles. Well maybe not altogether.

Thank you both.
    You are not alone!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Thank you both.
    I had the same discussion on Twitter and 30-something journalists said they suffered the same problem, so yes, it's universal - people are losing the ability to handwrite. It's not age!
    I don't know the last time I wrote anything by hand other than scribbling some calculus (but even that I do on the computer a lot of the time now). I certainly can't remember the last time I hand wrote anything formal.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,287
    This presents May with the perfect opportunity to abandon Brexit, or at least kick it into the long grass. Just says there's been a 'material change', it's now too risky to go ahead and we'll see how things look in a few years. Okay, the Daily Mail might not like it, but that will allow May to scupper the accusation (that's been gaining some traction of late) that she's Paul Dacre's puppet. Go for it Theresa! Be bold!
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Thank you both.
    I had the same discussion on Twitter and 30-something journalists said they suffered the same problem, so yes, it's universal - people are losing the ability to handwrite. It's not age!
    I don't know the last time I wrote anything by hand other than scribbling some calculus (but even that I do on the computer a lot of the time now). I certainly can't remember the last time I hand wrote anything formal.
    I write quite a lot by hand as it happens. But unless I take my time to make it neat and tidy, it's not especially legible.

I'm actually thinking of spending more time handwriting, and copying over stuff to the computer later if it's important. I think my productivity is better with an A4 pad in front of me.

The problem with the computer is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r12PsB3rtQ8
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    edited March 2017

This presents May with the perfect opportunity to abandon Brexit, or at least kick it into the long grass. Just says there's been a 'material change', it's now too risky to go ahead and we'll see how things look in a few years. Okay, the Daily Mail might not like it, but that will allow May to scupper the accusation (that's been gaining some traction of late) that she's Paul Dacre's puppet. Go for it Theresa! Be bold!
    ROFL if anything quite the opposite. This is why the UK needs to go all "Crimson Permanent Assurance" and go for it.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Nicola's up
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Thank you both.
    I write quite a lot by hand as it happens. But unless I take my time to make it neat and tidy, it's not especially legible.

I'm actually thinking of spending more time handwriting, and copying over stuff to the computer later if it's important. I think my productivity is better with an A4 pad in front of me.

That is one of the funniest live stage show I have ever seen. My sides hurt for days after it seeing it back in the day.
  • Options
    calum said:

Nicola's up

She's in a different class to Theresa May.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    edited March 2017
    SeanT said:

Same here. Everyone I know using texts or email to communicate with their loved ones, too - the love letter is not dead, but it's a love email now. What's the use of telling somerone they're fantastic if they can't read it?

Anecdote department - went out with half a dozen canvassers in a defensive canvass in my home (mostly WWC) ward in Nottingham - UKIP second last time - to see whether we have a UKIP problem. Not really, so far as I can tell. We do however have an apathy problem - about one in four voters still extremly Labour, the rest think we're all a bit meh.

And that British reluctance to complain! Talked to one woman in a wheelchair, no legs. Did she have any issues she'd like us to take up? "No, no issues, I'm fine." "Are you sure?" "well...I'm blind and as you see not very mobile, and I can't get out of the house easily, so I've applied to move to more suitable council accomoation, but I realise that's not very important in the great scheme of things, is it?" She wasn't joking or being sarcastic, just genuinely modest and undemanding. People like that break your heart, because you know it'll be so difficult to help.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954

calum said:

Nicola's up

https://twitter.com/KirstyStricklan/status/843131427323559936
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Thank you both.

That is one of the funniest live stage show I have ever seen. My sides hurt for days after it seeing it back in the day.
    I got the DVD of it as a present, sadly didn't see it live. Gorman is maths degree drop-out (as am I, though for different reasons) and there is a slightly geeky edge to his humour that I find absolutely hilarious.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Thank you both.

I got the DVD of it as a present, sadly didn't see it live. Gorman is maths degree drop-out (as am I, though for different reasons) and there is a slightly geeky edge to his humour that I find absolutely hilarious.
    Unfortunately with age, marriage, kids, his routine is now nowhere near as funny. Partly because jetting off around the world on a whim following crazy adventures isn't really an option. I saw him a year and a bit ago and while still quite funny just not the same as those early live stage shows like Are You Dave Gorman and Googlewhack.
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    As the The London Evening Standard isn't published on Saturdays,and parliament does not sit at the weekend, there is a great opportunity for George Osborne to take over from Arsene Wenger as manager of Arsenal. It doesn't take much skill to think of an excuse for losing each week, and at £8 million a year it would be his sort of thing.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    Seems to me Sturgeons gone full out hysterical nat. Could work.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

It will work for her audience today - and many of the metropolitan liberals in the RoUK also love it as it is another front against Brexit. Whether it will work in Scotland as a whole only time will tell. It will probably reinforce the Tory position in England and Wales - probably not go down too well in much of NI either. Overall I'm not convinced the loss of 5m Scots from the RoUK overly bothers most ordinary folk. Any referendum result is likely to be quite close either way which does not bode well for the future. depends on how deep are the feelings of the no voters.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152

JK Rowling better placed to lead campaign against Scottish independence than Jeremy Corbyn, poll finds

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/18/jk-rowling-better-placed-lead-campaign-against-scottish-independence/

An another excellent field poll from the University of the Bleedin' Obvious.
  • Options

Unfortunately with age, marriage, kids, his routine is now nowhere near as funny. Partly because jetting off around the world on a whim following crazy adventures isn't really an option. I saw him a year and a bit ago and while still quite funny just not the same as those early live stage shows like Are You Dave Gorman and Googlewhack.
    I quite liked his Important Astrology Experiment too, which was early but not so madcap.

I think the globe-trotting, crazy adventure stuff would have worn thin as a gimmick eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC0TDci9hqg
  • Options
    franklyn said:

As the The London Evening Standard isn't published on Saturdays,and parliament does not sit at the weekend, there is a great opportunity for George Osborne to take over from Arsene Wenger as manager of Arsenal. It doesn't take much skill to think of an excuse for losing each week, and at £8 million a year it would be his sort of thing.

A Russian owns 1/3 of Arsenal...gotta be a shoe in for the job.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

I quite liked his Important Astrology Experiment too, which was early but not so madcap.

I think the globe-trotting, crazy adventure stuff would have worn thin as a gimmick eventually.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC0TDci9hqg
    Perhaps..but I think he could have transitioned into elaborate set-ups. Instead his material is now basically searching twitter and facebook for stupid stuff people say...which you don't have to look very hard to find.

It works ok on tv, but the stage show was more of the same and 90 mins of it is really stretching it.

Of stand-up comics that have been about for quite a while and still doing it despite family, kids etc...Ross Noble is the easily the funniest I have seen in years.
  • Options

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC0TDci9hqg
    Perhaps..but I think he could have transitioned into elaborate set-ups. Instead his material is now basically searching twitter and facebook for stupid stuff people say...which you don't have to look very hard to find.

It works ok on tv, but the stage show was more of the same and 90 mins of it is really stretching it.
    Yes, fair point! I did catch him on Dave making fun of Daily Mail comments BTL. The softest of soft targets, not the most original either - definitely lost the USP.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

She's gone peak nat? :D
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691
    SeanT said:

surbiton said:

Ishmael_Z said:

surbiton said:

The Germans will increase defence spending because:

1. They accept the Americans have a point.
    2. They are worried about Russia etc.
    3. They realise they need to take more of a leadership role with America and Britain becoming less reliable.
    4. The "mustn't mention the War" effect is wearing off. It was getting to be an excuse for inaction.

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    RobD said:

She's gone peak nat? :D
    Impossible. There is no such thing.
  • Options

calum said:

Nicola's up

Yes, a lower one!
  • Options

Holyrood voting intention (list):

SNP: 40% (+1)
    CON: 25% (+1)
    LAB: 14% (-)
    GRN: 12% (+1)
    LDEM: 5% (-1)

(via YouGov / 09 - 14 Mar)
    7 replies 110 retweets 73 likes

Holyrood voting intention (const): SNP: 51% (+3) CON: 24% (-1) LAB: 14% (-1) LDEM: 6% (-) GRN: 4% (+1) (via YouGov / 09 - 14 Mar)
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Brilliant speech. Particularly welcoming EU and English migrants to help build Scotland.

One statistic I heard today was very revealing. Scotland's productivity growth in the last 10 years has been 10% - whereas in England it has been 0.1%.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Brilliant speech. Particularly welcoming EU and English migrants to help build Scotland.

One statistic I heard today was very revealing. Scotland's productivity growth in the last 10 years has been 10% - whereas in England it has been 0.1%.
    You could put it that way, or you could say that they finally caught up with the rest of the UK.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    felix said:

Holyrood voting intention (const): SNP: 51% (+3) CON: 24% (-1) LAB: 14% (-1) LDEM: 6% (-) GRN: 4% (+1) (via YouGov / 09 - 14 Mar)

Sleazy someone on the slide.
    How long is a game of Rugby?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

I am sure that will go down brilliantly with the 57% of Scots in yesterday's Mori who want immigration controls to be a priority in the Brexit negotiations
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/just-44-think-theresa-may-will-get-a-good-deal-on-brexit-a3492401.html
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Cookie said:

SeanT said:

Mr. Cookie, there is some swedish professor, whose name escapes me, who puts forward what appears to be a very credible case that the world has in fact reached "peak-child". He uses the example of Bangladesh as a key plank in his argument. There are still some areas of Africa in which the number of children exceed the average, but with better women's education and the improvements of medical facilities these will, it is believed follow the Bangladesh example.
    http://www.gapminder.org/videos/gapmindervideos/gapcast-5-bangladesh-miracle/

Bangladesh population would have been falling now but the death rates have also fallen. The average Bangladeshi lives to 73 years today compared to 67 in India. But, o current trends, the population in Bangladesh will actually start to fall from 2030.
  • Options
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

SeanT said:

Thank you both.
    You are not alone!
    If you want to write legibly again, buy a fountain pen. This really works and needn't cost much - you can get a Pelikan Pelikano school fountain pen, left or right handed version, for less than £15.
  • Options
    0% on Gold, hair spray and red ties.
  • Options
    Lets Make Hand Writing Great Again....
  • Options
    This is about American "nationalism". If that country did not have powerful institutions, we could be seeing impressions of Europe early 1930's. It's quite a scary thought.

But US congress and the judiciary will provide a block, I hope.
  • Options
    'France saying George North bit himself'

Can't get any weirder can it?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

I am sure that will go down brilliantly with the 57% of Scots in yesterday's Mori who want immigration controls to be a priority in the Brexit negotiations
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/just-44-think-theresa-may-will-get-a-good-deal-on-brexit-a3492401.html
    But she had the guts to say it. I can now see why the Labour party has become an irrelevance in Scotland. She has parked her tank in Labour's lawn and have dug in. No wonder the SNP is now the left party in Scotland.
  • Options
    OUT said:

felix said:

No sign of anyone really on the slide - all pretty much margin of error stuff. The big problem is that Labour collapse and from the anti-independence point of view the fact that the Labour/LD remnants probably hate the Tories more than they love the Union. Sad but true.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    PClipp said:

I wonder... Were UKIP supporters really angry with the EU as such? Or were they upset by whatever situation worried them most, and then were assured by UKIP that everything would be better once we were out of the EU? Thus casting Mr Farage in the role of the Fairy Godmother, whose magic wand (leaving the EU) would make everything come right?

Boris Johnson, under the guidance of the Evil Demon Cummings, played right into this, with his promise of 350,000,000 per week for the NHS.

Everybody knows that Mrs May has not even started to negotiate anything, far less to bring about our triumphant exit from the EU. So she is still given the benefit of the doubt.

But I have the feeling that the general complacency will not last much longer, and then all the people who thought their wishes would come trueonce they voted to leave the EU, will wake up to reality. Mr Farage and UKIP were not the answer to anybody`s problems and they never were. Mrs May and her hordes of Conservative spinners aren`t the answer either.

The Conservative Party, like UKIP before it, is gong to come down with a very loud crash.

Just my opinion, of course.

I think that is a very accurate summary.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Lots great ideas from Gordon - shame he was never in power or he could've done it then !
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

Again arguing with subsets. You can be banned from PB.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

No I can't, Mori is an established pollster and member of the BPC and those are its figures and they back up other pollsters which have also showed Scots want tighter immigration controls
  • Options
    felix said:

OUT said:

felix said:

No sign of anyone really on the slide - all pretty much margin of error stuff. The big problem is that Labour collapse and from the anti-independence point of view the fact that the Labour/LD remnants probably hate the Tories more than they love the Union. Sad but true.
    No they don't otherwise No would not be leading most polls and a majority of Scottish Labour and LD voters backing the union as now
  • Options
    Renegotiating not abandoning and Trump always said he would do this, it will be directed against Mexico and China not the UK
  • Options
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

But she had the guts to say it. I can now see why the Labour party has become an irrelevance in Scotland. She has parked her tank in Labour's lawn and have dug in. No wonder the SNP is now the left party in Scotland.
    The SNP is now the main social democratic party in Scotland but that does not mean Scots share all its aims, especially on immigration where Sturgeon seems to want an open borders Scotland
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

The SNP is now the main social democratic party in Scotland but that does not mean Scots share all its aims, especially on immigration where Sturgeon seems to want an open borders Scotland
    No. Sturgeon wants the same borders which 27 other EU countries have today. And Norway.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

Isn't this breaking the first rule of PB moderation? :D

Edit: Oh crap...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

They'll be punished at the ballot box then, won't they.
    What's your prediction for the council elections?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

Low base... :p
  • Options
    FF43 said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

Ishmael_Z said:

surbiton said:

3. They realise they need to take more of a leadership role with America and Britain becoming less reliable.
    4. The "mustn't mention the War" effect is wearing off. It was getting to be an excuse for inaction.

Item 4 is a nonsense. West Germany used to spend about 3% of GDP on defence in the 1970s and maintained a very capable Bundeswehr about half a million strong. There never has been a "mustn't mention the War" effect on German's defence spending.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    How is Nicola funding all these programmes?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916
    edited March 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

SeanT said:

Thank you both.
    You are not alone!
    If you want to write legibly again, buy a fountain pen. This really works and needn't cost much - you can get a Pelikan Pelikano school fountain pen, left or right handed version, for less than £15.
    I’ve got a problem with my right hand, with the tendon of the index finger. It’s been 'dealt with’ but doing so has wrecked my fine hand-control. Supposed, and I emphasise the supposed, to indicate Viking genes, but since my mother’s family came from what was historically the edge of the Danelaw area, that’s not too surprising.
    Why couldn’t, though, I have the remnant of the genes that made me tall and blond? Instead of the one (or whatever) I had!
    Short and dark, from my fathers side; good for working in the colleries, but that’s about it!
  • Options
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

No. Sturgeon wants the same borders which 27 other EU countries have today. And Norway.
    Which means ever more migrants from the EU, especially the Eastern EU going to an independent Scotland if it breaks away from post Brexit UK after May has imposed controls on free movement
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Renegotiating not abandoning and Trump always said he would do this, it will be directed against Mexico and China not the UK

The WTO does not mentions countries by name as far as I am aware. A protectionist WTO is protectionist for everyone.

A great thing for a country where 30% of its GDP comes from foreign trade.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

Which means ever more migrants from the EU, especially the Eastern EU going to an independent Scotland if it breaks away from post Brexit UK after May has imposed controls on free movement
    You clearly think an independent Scotland will be an attractive place to live with a booming economy.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

The WTO does not mentions countries by name as far as I am aware. A protectionist WTO is protectionist for everyone.

Trump's determination to reenact the entire 1930s is on track I see.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

Ishmael_Z said:

surbiton said:

Item 4 is a nonsense. West Germany used to spend about 3% of GDP on defence in the 1970s and maintained a very capable Bundeswehr about half a million strong. There never has been a "mustn't mention the War" effect on German's defence spending.
    Merkel publicly acknowledged the need to increase defines spending well before Trump was elected:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-defence-idUSKCN0Z72QE
    I think she has merely been delaying the inevitable.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

Not necessarily as the same poll has over 40% of Scots not seeing immigration control as a major priority ie the majority of whom will be voting for the SNP (although even the SNP had some Leave voters). I expect the SNP to get around 45-48% similar to the level they got in the 2016 Holyrood poll but the Scottish Tories to again be up at the expense of Scottish Labour
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

You forgot England. Many will be going from here too.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

Not necessarily as the same poll has over 40% of Scots not seeing immigration control as a major priority ie the majority of whom will be voting for the SNP (although even the SNP had some Leave voters). I expect the SNP to get around 45-48% similar to the level they got in the 2016 Holyrood poll but the Scottish Tories to again be up at the expense of Scottish Labour
    Breaking news, party with policies unpopular with majority of the electorate will be voted for in massive numbers.

No wonder you have to cling on to subsamples.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
    Paul Hutcheon‏ @paulhutcheon
    Word count on FM speech to #snp17:
    Independence 13
    Brexit 12
    Prime Minister 11
    Schools 1
    Education 1
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

How many surbs and for what reason?
  • Options

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

Ishmael_Z said:

surbiton said:

Fair enough. It's more a general comment that Germany is more willing to be assertive and things it needs to be. If they are driving programmes forward they will need to lead on the funding as well. c.f. European Army.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

If Trump withdrew the US from the WTO or did a major renegotiation of terms he could well do a free trade deal with the UK, Israel, Australia, Canada and a few selected others while imposing heavy tariffs on goods and services from the likes of China, Mexico and quite possibly the EU. The US is of course the largest destination for UK exports
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    What are England doing?
  • Options

How is Nicola funding all these programmes?

Same way Labour does it - spend the same money 3 or 4 times over and then rely on magic money tree
  • Options

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

Ishmael_Z said:

surbiton said:

Item 4 is indeed a nonsense.

• Options

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

You clearly think an independent Scotland will be an attractive place to live with a booming economy.
    It would simply be an easier destination for Poles and Romanians than England and Wales
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Ireland looking good here. Passionate but determined.

As usual, I predict an England defeat. I hope I am wrong - as I usually am. But I doubt it.

England have already won the Championship, though at the moment looks like they will not be winning the Grand Slam
  • Options

Lets Make Hand Writing Great Again....

Or if you are of the leftist persuasion

Hand wringing :-)
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

Perhaps some unionist Scots would move south too to replace the Europhile leftwingers moving north of Hadrian's Wall
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    SeanT said:

As usual, I predict an England defeat. I hope I am wrong - as I usually am. But I doubt it.

Ireland should be much further agead given the possession they've had. They may well end up regretting that. England can't be as poor again in the second half.

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

Breaking news, party with policies unpopular with majority of the electorate will be voted for in massive numbers.

No wonder you have to cling on to subsamples.
    No it is simple maths, Scots want tighter border controls by 57% to 43%, so if most of those 43% vote SNP the SNP could still easily come first in the local elections in Scotland
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Well if England give All Blacks 75% possession it certainly won't be 10-3....perhaps 100-3.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I wouldn't count on that. Trump and his Commerce Secretary have said they want to use U.S. negotiating power to re cast trade deals in favour of the US. The UK has a positive trade balance with the U.S.. They will be looking to reduce that.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336

What are England doing?

Losing. For now.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

Yeah, like people left the US when Bush, Trump won?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Ireland should be much further agead given the possession they've had. They may well end up regretting that. England can't be as poor again in the second half.

Yep. Ireland should be 15 points up, not 7. Still think this is a game too far for Jones' team.

Not their best season, they were much better last year. Nucleus of a great side tho.

They are learning. This will be the highest pressure game any of them will ever have played. Jones is a good enough coach to ensure that whatever happens today it will make England better for the seasons that come.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    SeanT said:

England lucky to be only 7 behind, quite frankly.

Against a side who has terrible defensive problems out wide all championship England have attacked one out. Schmidt can't believe his luck.

Payne is a massive upgrade for the Irish back 3 even if he is half fit.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Yep. Ireland should be 15 points up, not 7. Still think this is a game too far for Jones' team.

Not their best season, they were much better last year. Nucleus of a great side tho.
    The problem England have had in every game is the allow the opposition to have far too much possession. So far they have escaped through a combination of fantastic defending and taking the chances when have arisen.
This discussion has been closed.