Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Blindsided. Leavers have given the PM a free rein over the Art

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited March 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Blindsided. Leavers have given the PM a free rein over the Article 50 negotiations and they’ll come to regret it

Theresa May has striven mightily at every stage to avoid Parliamentary restraint on her Brexit negotiations with the rest of the EU.  She fought in the courts to the bitter end against the principle that the triggering of Article 50 required the prior approval from Parliament.  A White Paper was extracted out of the government in a manner akin to that used by Lord Olivier in Marathon Man.  The White Paper thus extracted was so anodyne that vanilla seemed tangy after reading it.  The Article 50 Bill was pushed through Parliament with every attempt to place any restraint on the way in which the government negotiates Brexit stripped out.  It received Royal Assent on Wednesday in pristine form.  The only commitment that the Government has given is to allow a vote on the final deal on a take-it-or-leave-it basis. Leaving it would mean that Britain left the EU without any deal at all.  So from now on, Theresa May can ignore Parliament.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    First.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,958
    They'll rue the day? :smiley:
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,214
    Third unlike UKiP
  • Options
    So are we back to remainers seeing Theresa May as one of them?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    The theory is correct. In practice, we know that Theresa May will do nothing to upset the right wing Tory press, so the swivel-eyed cliff-jumpers are likely to form the small Commons minority that will be genuinely happy with the final deal.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Good Morning PBers Worldwide And In Australia ....

XX For One Oz Viewer .... :sunglasses:
  • Options
    Let's remember what the propaganda information booklet said:

This is your decision. The government will implement what you decide.

So this is entirely consistent with what we were told before the referendum. If the MPs and Lords had a problem with this, they should have said something when the referendum bill went through parliament.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
  • Options

I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

You must give us your porridge and napalm recipe. Surely a meal that gives the taste buds a warming and exploding feeling.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    So many words to say so little.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,101
    edited March 2017
    The debate on Norway that removed Chamberlain happened after the conquest, not as part of a running commentary on it. The Maurice debate of 1918 would come into that category too. Parliament was not told things until they had happened for simple reasons of speed and security. Sometimes not even then (Maurice again).

In practice there will not be any different options on the table other than the final bill, so it was always going to be a take it or leave it rubber stamp (and as an international treaty it is questionable whether that falls under Parliament anyway). The timetable of negotiations and their outcome are in the hands of the EU, and it will be hard to get even an inadequate deal from them as the ardent federalists who are negotiating are still very sore at their rejection and determined to punish Britain pour encouragers les autres. So the suggestion that Parliament could stop a hard Brexit by forcing a return to the negotiating table was always something of a fantasy.

Theresa May has not only the right to ignore Parliament now, she has got to ignore it. There is no way a successful negotiation can be carried out while a much-divided assembly is exposing her strategy at every turn and demanding five different courses of action at once. Indeed, that only raises the odds of failure from very high to stone certain.

And as it is a treaty Parliament has authorised her to negotiate and been granted a vote on, if anything it strengthens the doctrine of Parliamentary sovereignty rather than weakens it.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,214
    The question remains at what point May will be able to face down the nutters behind her sufficiently to do any sort of deal that the EU is likely to offer.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I question Douglas Carswell's grasp of history

https://twitter.com/DouglasCarswell/status/843012308855132161
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    What did bitter Remainers obsess about pre referendum I wonder. I guess they weren't bitter Remainers at that stage, just people out of touch with the views of the general public.
  • Options
    felix said:

You managed a riveting seven .... :smile:
  • Options
    Looks like the Mail on Sunday has lifted a few lines from a recent Don Brind PB piece without attributing. Naughty, naughty ...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4327916/MP-tells-Jeremy-Corbyn-quit-face.html
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The question remains at what point May will be able to face down the nutters behind her sufficiently to do any sort of deal that the EU is likely to offer.

The answer is never. She lives in terror of negative headlines from the right wing press and will do nothing to upset the Four Editors of the Brexopalypse. Just ask Phil Hammond.

• Options

IanB2 said:

The answer is never. She lives in terror of negative headlines from the right wing press and will do nothing to upset the Four Editors of the Brexopalypse. Just ask Phil Hammond.

Brexopalypse?

Seemingly rational people have taken leave of their senses.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited March 2017
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Brexopalypse?

Yep - I literally believe it to be true. Literally. As in we face apocalypse. Seriously and literally. No doubt about it.

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    felix said:

An excruciating performance by Meeks. I felt like Dustin Hoffman in the dentist's chair after a couple of sentences.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    I really don't know where to start with this one. Vanilla is pretty tangy though, try putting a drop or two of essence on your tongue.
  • Options

What did bitter Remainers obsess about pre referendum I wonder. I guess they weren't bitter Remainers at that stage, just people out of touch with the views of the general public.

The general public being just under 52% of the population. The sanctimonious, hypocritical, anti-British, liberal, metropolitan elite making up the other 48%, of course.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,838

Looks like the Mail on Sunday has lifted a few lines from a recent Don Brind PB piece without attributing. Naughty, naughty ...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4327916/MP-tells-Jeremy-Corbyn-quit-face.html

That's naughty, quoting DB by name but without giving the source. They wouldn't do that to another newspaper that had an exclusive.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Brexopalypse?

Yep - I literally believe it to be true. Literally. As in we face apocalypse. Seriously and literally. No doubt about it.

You have taken leave of your senses then. The world is still turning.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916

IanB2 said:

Brexopalypse?

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst, is, I think the appropriate phrase.
  • Options

The general public being just under 52% of the population. The sanctimonious, hypocritical, anti-British, liberal, metropolitan elite making up the other 48%, of course.

He said bitter Remainers, not all Remainers. It's a simple distinction. I know loads of people who voted Remain and are adults about it.
  • Options

An excruciating performance by Meeks. I felt like Dustin Hoffman in the dentist's chair after a couple of sentences.

Pong said:

Great article.

Titter ....

• Options
    View_From_CumbriaView_From_Cumbria Posts: 241
    edited March 2017

felix said:

Yesterday Tim Farron was awarded the "Remoaner of the Year" award. Is this article Mr Meeks's attempt to get that decision overturned ?
  • Options
    Essexit said:

He said bitter Remainers, not all Remainers. It's a simple distinction. I know loads of people who voted Remain and are adults about it.

He said pre-referendum. Remainers were out of touch with just under 52% of the population at that point.

• Options

felix said:

Yesterday Tim Farron was awarded the "Remoaner of the Year" award. Is this article Mr Meeks's attempt to get that decision overturned ?

It's amazing the number of people that comment on Alastair Meeks pieces without (1) reading them; or (2) understanding them.

• Options
    Essexit said:

IanB2 said:

Brexopalypse?

Not for long. And I literally believe that.

• Options

Essexit said:

He said pre-referendum. Remainers were out of touch with just under 52% of the population at that point.

Yep, and an overwhelming majority of those who voted to stay have moved on, hence me saying Bitter Remainers.

Thread after thread by Mr Meeks, I've no idea what he or the editors are hoping to achieve but its not a good look.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

IanB2 said:

Brexopalypse?

It's possible that could change - but if so it won't be Brexit causes it (or at least, it isn't likely to unless the Euro collapses as a result). North Korea however are certainly up to something big and scary and they are led by a man who is clearly utterly insane, spoiled and self-indulgent with a low level of intelligence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-39318463

At some point, somebody is going to have to deal with this, and if it turns out to be Trump rather than Xi it could get very nasty very fast.
  • Options

Essexit said:

Yep, and an overwhelming majority of those who voted to stay have moved on, hence me saying Bitter Remainers.

Thread after thread by Mr Meeks, I've no idea what he or the editors are hoping to achieve but its not a good look.

You clearly have not understood what he's written. Or maybe you haven't actually read it.

• Options

Essexit said:

IanB2 said:

Brexopalypse?

You seem a rational person usually, its probably time for some circumspection.
  • Options

Essexit said:

IanB2 said:

Brexopalypse?

You seem a rational person usually, its probably time for some circumspection.

I am a rational person. I voted Remain :-)

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    ydoethur said:

The debate on Norway that removed Chamberlain happened after the conquest, not as part of a running commentary on it. The Maurice debate of 1918 would come into that category too. Parliament was not told things until they had happened for simple reasons of speed and security. Sometimes not even then (Maurice again).

In practice there will not be any different options on the table other than the final bill, so it was always going to be a take it or leave it rubber stamp (and as an international treaty it is questionable whether that falls under Parliament anyway). The timetable of negotiations and their outcome are in the hands of the EU, and it will be hard to get even an inadequate deal from them as the ardent federalists who are negotiating are still very sore at their rejection and determined to punish Britain pour encouragers les autres. So the suggestion that Parliament could stop a hard Brexit by forcing a return to the negotiating table was always something of a fantasy.

Theresa May has not only the right to ignore Parliament now, she has got to ignore it. There is no way a successful negotiation can be carried out while a much-divided assembly is exposing her strategy at every turn and demanding five different courses of action at once. Indeed, that only raises the odds of failure from very high to stone certain.

And as it is a treaty Parliament has authorised her to negotiate and been granted a vote on, if anything it strengthens the doctrine of Parliamentary sovereignty rather than weakens it.

There are 28 Parliaments in the EU that have the right to discuss and reject any Brexit deal mid negotiations. Those are the ones of the EU27 and of the EU itself. The only one that does not have that right is Westminster. Tis a strange sort of control that we have taken back.

Take the much discussed rights of EU citizens here, vs UK citizens in the EU. The EU does not have the authority to require an EU country to treat one non EU citizen differently to another. Just as our government can currently set different visa requirements on Somalians vs Canadians, post Brexit Spain has the right to decide whether Brits can stay rather than the EU parliament. The Spanish government also has the right to change its mind over the status of non EU citizens at any time, as in the EU that is a national competence. The EU cannot negotiate over this, tbough 27 EU countries can.

As I have said all along, hard Brexit is nailed on and soft Brexit was always a mirage. Even on such a single issue the negotiations cannot be concluded within the 18 months. The only sensible plan is to batten down the hatches for total hard as nails Brexit, as that is what Brexit means Brexit means.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Lets see ... Leave won the binary vote with the voters. It would have lost heavily if it had been left to Parliament. So a Remainer would prefer we had left it to Parliament because he didn't like the result. But if we numbskulls are determined to leave, at least let the Remainers monitor it, because they won't play politics. Oh no, they are honest people.

Oh, my aching sides.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Lets see ... Leave won the binary vote with the voters. It would have lost heavily if it had been left to Parliament. So a Remainer would prefer we had left it to Parliament because he didn't like the result. But if we numbskulls are determined to leave, at least let the Remainers monitor it, because they won't play politics. Oh no, they are honest people.

Oh, my aching sides.

You genuinely don't understand the article. Golly.

• Options

felix said:

It's amazing the number of people that comment on Alastair Meeks pieces without (1) reading them; or (2) understanding them.

Actually I have read, and re-read every word. I even think I understand what he is trying to say. I doubt also there are many interviews with Mr Farron which I have not listened to. However, the article, like Mr Farron's ad hominen attack on Theresa May scheduled for this morning is founded upon a premis which I do not recognise. The fact is the British people did know what they were doing when they entered the polling booths last June. I have yet to hear a convincing argument that any LEAVE voters did not know what they were voting for. It is only ever REMAIN voters that say they did not understand.

Mr Farron has always bent the truth. In 1997 he was sacked by the leader of Lancashire CC Lib Dems for refusing to stand during the loyal toast at a civic function. Today he is claiming patriotism. Journalists - ask him about that civic function in 1997 !
  • Options

felix said:

Actually I have read, and re-read every word. I even think I understand what he is trying to say. I doubt also there are many interviews with Mr Farron which I have not listened to. However, the article, like Mr Farron's ad hominen attack on Theresa May scheduled for this morning is founded upon a premis which I do not recognise. The fact is the British people did know what they were doing when they entered the polling booths last June. I have yet to hear a convincing argument that any LEAVE voters did not know what they were voting for. It is only ever REMAIN voters that say they did not understand.

Mr Farron has always bent the truth. In 1997 he was sacked by the leader of Lancashire CC Lib Dems for refusing to stand during the loyal toast at a civic function. Today he is claiming patriotism. Journalists - ask him about that civic function in 1997 !

Nope - the article is not founded on that premise. You clearly don't understand the point it is making!

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

felix said:

What Alastair has missed (probably deliberately) is that in giving up this power the Brexiteers have prevented the Remainers (of whom there are a majority in parliament) exercising either.

Yes they are relying on the government, but perhaps they think that's where the odds are better
  • Options

There are 28 Parliaments in the EU that have the right to discuss and reject any Brexit deal mid negotiations. Those are the ones of the EU27 and of the EU itself. The only one that does not have that right is Westminster. Tis a strange sort of control that we have taken back.

Take the much discussed rights of EU citizens here, vs UK citizens in the EU. The EU does not have the authority to require an EU country to treat one non EU citizen differently to another. Just as our government can currently set different visa requirements on Somalians vs Canadians, post Brexit Spain has the right to decide whether Brits can stay rather than the EU parliament. The Spanish government also has the right to change its mind over the status of non EU citizens at any time, as in the EU that is a national competence. The EU cannot negotiate over this, tbough 27 EU countries can.

As I have said all along, hard Brexit is nailed on and soft Brexit was always a mirage. Even on such a single issue the negotiations cannot be concluded within the 18 months. The only sensible plan is to batten down the hatches for total hard as nails Brexit, as that is what Brexit means Brexit means.

As I understand it the national parliaments will have the option to approve the final treaty, as with the Canadian deal the Walloons blocked, but not have a running commentary on it and will not be able to send it back for renegotiation. The European Parliament may not have any sort of role as it will be agreed by heads of government working through Barnier.

Such a take it or leave it veto does of course massively increase the prospect of failure.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

felix said:

It is perfectly acceptable for people to change their minds on an issue, as indeed Mrs May did over Brexit. A year ago she was a Remainer. Presumably Farron does not feel the same over the monarchy that he once did.

As Alastair Meeks points out she has no legislative restraint on changing her mind again.
  • Options

Patriotism and the loyal toast are not the same thing.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    The Sunday remoan. It must be Meeks o'clock.

*heads back to bed*
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

As I understand it the national parliaments will have the option to approve the final treaty, as with the Canadian deal the Walloons blocked, but not have a running commentary on it and will not be able to send it back for renegotiation. The European Parliament may not have any sort of role as it will be agreed by heads of government working through Barnier.

Such a take it or leave it veto does of course massively increase the prospect of failure.
    Not quite - it's under QMV. So you'd need several parliaments / governments to reject it on the EU side
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Any or all of the EU27 parliaments are free to debate any aspect of the Brexit negotiations at any point that they choose. The only one that cannot is Westminster, which has acted like a nymphomaniac putting on a chastity belt.
  • Options

felix said:

It is perfectly acceptable for people to change their minds on an issue, as indeed Mrs May did over Brexit. A year ago she was a Remainer. Presumably Farron does not feel the same over the monarchy that he once did.

As Alastair Meeks points out she has no legislative restraint on changing her mind again.

Yes - your final point does seem to have been rather lost on a few people this morning.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Good morning, everyone.

Meeksy - be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFo8-JqzSCM
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916

felix said:

1997 is very nearly 20 years ago. He was 26 or 27 at the time. Admittedly that’s a bit old for somewhat juvenile gestures, but I could see myself doing that around that time of my life, and if Mr VfC wants to doubt my loyalty to my country he can come outside and say it.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Charles said:

felix said:

What Alastair has missed (probably deliberately) is that in giving up this power the Brexiteers have prevented the Remainers (of whom there are a majority in parliament) exercising either.

Yes they are relying on the government, but perhaps they think that's where the odds are better

I agree. In theory, Alastair is correct. In practice the swivel-eyed Leavers in the Commons know that May will deliver what they want. Her fear of negative headlines in the right wing press dictates everything she does.

• Options
    JackW said:

Just be sure to pass the wine over the water when toasting...
  • Options
    SO doesn't understand that people have read and understood the latest Meeks article. It is another piece of bitterness suggesting that hard-core Leavers won't get what they want either. Yah boo suckers he is saying! It's all so profound. :)
  • Options
    We know it will be hard Brexit and that's not because of Jacob Rees-Mogg and the Daily Mail. The EU are worried about the fracturing of their project and the rise of fascism. Set aside the practical reality that negotiating a deal in 18 months isn't just impossible it's insane, they can't and won't grant a deal. If they did it might encourage others to consider their own position.

So unfortunately for Blighty the deal we will be offered is va te faire foutre, and so off we go to WTO land. In a few years time things might settle back down, but thats like saying that after a big asteroid crashes into the earth things might settle back down.

The cost of WTO tariffs is broadly similar to what we pay the EU, so no £350m a week for the NHS. But it's the shock impact to industry that will do the terminal damage - a British car industry reliant on parts being shipped to and from the EU to be built here won't be viable if BMW have to pay an import tariff to the EU to ship Hams Hall engines to Germany for gearbox fitting then a tariff to the UK to install them in a Mini. Yes in the long term a supply chain can be set up. But in practice it will be the same impact as privatisation had on the train building industry - its swift closure.

And the same with banking, where it's even easier to up sticks and move. This I believe is the Trump card Sturgeon intends to play. All the way through our "negotiations" the EU will tell us not to go. They'll say stay in the market are you mad? So Sturgeon will agree her own deal - an independent Scotland in the EEA via EFTA, they'll give her transitional access, and so she'll have her referendum next autumn whether London likes it or not. And the carrot? No need to move to Frankfurt Mr Barclays, just come to Edinburgh.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Charles said:

Not quite - it's under QMV. So you'd need several parliaments / governments to reject it on the EU side

Any or all of the EU27 parliaments are free to debate any aspect of the Brexit negotiations at any point that they choose. The only one that cannot is Westminster, which has acted like a nymphomaniac putting on a chastity belt.

Those two posts together are confusing. Which one is correct? Or are they both wrong?

Edit - incidentally the second one is in any case clearly wrong as Parliament can debate anything it chooses. That's how the Norway debate happened in the first place. That doesn't mean May will be bound by what it says any more than Merkel would be Lund by the will of the Bundestag if what they want is impossible.
  • Options

JackW said:

Just be sure to pass the wine over the water when toasting...
    Until 13th July 1807 I would have .... :smile:
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

There are 28 Parliaments in the EU that have the right to discuss and reject any Brexit deal mid negotiations. Those are the ones of the EU27 and of the EU itself. The only one that does not have that right is Westminster. Tis a strange sort of control that

Simply not true. Parliament can act on Brexit at any time of its choosing. All that is required is a simple majority.
  • Options
    felix said:

SO doesn't understand that people have read and understood the latest Meeks article. It is another piece of bitterness suggesting that hard-core Leavers won't get what they want either. Yah boo suckers he is saying! It's all so profound. :)

I genuinely thought you were smarter than that.

• Options

felix said:

I genuinely thought you were smarter than that.

So kind. In your current state of mind I feel blessed by that comment.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, my understanding is that a full trade deal requires unanimous support from euroland's parliaments, assemblies, and Belgian councils, whereas a departure/limited trade deal is done on the basis of QMV (albeit with a vote in the European Parliament to ratify or veto the deal).
  • Options

Charles said:

felix said:

I agree. In theory, Alastair is correct. In practice the swivel-eyed Leavers in the Commons know that May will deliver what they want. Her fear if negative headlines in the right wing press dictates everything she does.

It is more profound than that. If there were a change in PM, then the new PM would have absolute authority over the negotiations.

Say Mrs May called an early election, and lost her majority this year. The new government (perhaps a coalition led by Mr Farron!) would have absolute authority over the negotiations. A juicy prospect indeed. It was quite unnecessary for Parliament to deny itself control over the executive.

The reality is that Westminster will endlessly discuss Brexit, but only in a debating society formative manner rather than with authority.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited March 2017
    j
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,964

We know it will be hard Brexit and that's not because of Jacob Rees-Mogg and the Daily Mail. The EU are worried about the fracturing of their project and the rise of fascism. Set aside the practical reality that negotiating a deal in 18 months isn't just impossible it's insane, they can't and won't grant a deal. If they did it might encourage others to consider their own position.

So unfortunately for Blighty the deal we will be offered is va te faire foutre, and so off we go to WTO land. In a few years time things might settle back down, but thats like saying that after a big asteroid crashes into the earth things might settle back down.

The cost of WTO tariffs is broadly similar to what we pay the EU, so no £350m a week for the NHS. But it's the shock impact to industry that will do the terminal damage - a British car industry reliant on parts being shipped to and from the EU to be built here won't be viable if BMW have to pay an import tariff to the EU to ship Hams Hall engines to Germany for gearbox fitting then a tariff to the UK to install them in a Mini. Yes in the long term a supply chain can be set up. But in practice it will be the same impact as privatisation had on the train building industry - its swift closure.

And the same with banking, where it's even easier to up sticks and move. This I believe is the Trump card Sturgeon intends to play. All the way through our "negotiations" the EU will tell us not to go. They'll say stay in the market are you mad? So Sturgeon will agree her own deal - an independent Scotland in the EEA via EFTA, they'll give her transitional access, and so she'll have her referendum next autumn whether London likes it or not. And the carrot? No need to move to Frankfurt Mr Barclays, just come to Edinburgh.

Excellent post. I think the predictions of doom predicated on a huge Brexit-inspired recession are misplaced. That's unlikely to happen. Instead what we face is decades of slow decline and stagnation, missed opportunities as this self-imposed insularity makes us look less relevant to the rest of the world.
  • Options

That will only be possible if Scotland adopts the Euro with the agreement of the ECB. Otherwise, with no lender of last resort no bank would be able to carry on business in Scotland as nobody would offer it credit. One of the big risks of independence, ironically, is that RBS would have to move.

What might be really damaging to the SNP is that they seem intent on holding a wildcat ballot - which they still look set to lose. Losing a once-in-a-generation ballot twice in ten years under such auspicious circumstances would kill talk of independence for another 300 years. Not smart politics by Mrs May to try and block it.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Mr Observer,

The main problem here is that the nation voted one way and Parliament disagrees. That can happen on individual issues, but we vote for MPs on a variety of issues. The difference here is that we don't have a referendum on each individual issue. If we did, we wouldn't need Parliament and it would be impracticable anyway.

If we'd had a referendum on the NI changes, they might well have gone through.

I'll repeat my first sentence for you.The main problem here is that the nation voted one way and Parliament disagrees. The blame for that lies with a man whose initials are DC. Not the voters
  • Options

Mr. Doethur, my understanding is that a full trade deal requires unanimous support from euroland's parliaments, assemblies, and Belgian councils, whereas a departure/limited trade deal is done on the basis of QMV (albeit with a vote in the European Parliament to ratify or veto the deal).

Thank you. That does now make sense.
  • Options

Charles said:

felix said:

I agree. In theory, Alastair is correct. In practice the swivel-eyed Leavers in the Commons know that May will deliver what they want. Her fear if negative headlines in the right wing press dictates everything she does.

It is more profound than that. If there were a change in PM, then the new PM would have absolute authority over the negotiations.

Say Mrs May called an early election, and lost her majority this year. The new government (perhaps a coalition led by Mr Farron!) would have absolute authority over the negotiations. A juicy prospect indeed. It was quite unnecessary for Parliament to deny itself control over the executive.

The reality is that Westminster will endlessly discuss Brexit, but only in a debating society formative manner rather than with authority.
    No parliament can be bound by its predecessors. You know that surely.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Those two posts together are confusing. Which one is correct? Or are they both wrong?

Edit - incidentally the second one is in any case clearly wrong as Parliament can debate anything it chooses. That's how the Norway debate happened in the first place. That doesn't mean May will be bound by what it says any more than Merkel would be Lund by the will of the Bundestag if what they want is impossible.
    Not for the first time, Mr Fox is wrong.

For a country to vote against the agreement they need to make their own decision to do so (whether that is government or Parliamentary - I don't know).

For the treaty to be rejected you need multiple countries to vote against it.

Hence no one EU Parliament can veto the Treaty
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, np.

Mr. Doethur (2), May can't have a Scottish independence referendum during negotiations. Before or after might make sense, during is a case of Sturgeon transparently playing silly buggers.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Observer,

The main problem here is that the nation voted one way and Parliament disagrees. That can happen on individual issues, but we vote for MPs on a variety of issues. The difference here is that we don't have a referendum on each individual issue. If we did, we wouldn't need Parliament and it would be impracticable anyway.

If we'd had a referendum on the NI changes, they might well have gone through.

I'll repeat my first sentence for you.The main problem here is that the nation voted one way and Parliament disagrees. The blame for that lies with a man whose initials are DC. Not the voters

I agree. But that has nothing to do with Alastair's article.

• Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited March 2017
    Here's the ultra well informed Adam Boulton writing in today's Sunday Times forecasting that a General Election could be be called for as early as 4 May .... hey folks, that's in just six and a half weeks' time:

"If May announces her intention to go to the country to confirm her Brexit strategy at the same time as she triggers article 50 at the end of this month, she could just manage to coincide the general election with the local elections on May 4.
    Then or later, the Fixed Term Parliament Act is not much of an obstacle. The easiest way to overrule it would be a two-thirds majority vote in the Commons. Conservative MPs want an early election because they think they would do well and seats would not be cut down by new boundaries. Jeremy Corbyn is on record as saying: “If there is a vote to dissolve parliament then obviously we will vote with it.” Even if he backtracks, the majority of Labour MPs still see painful election chemotherapy as the quickest and surest way to purge their party of the Corbyn cancer.
    May is in a similar position to Gordon Brown 10 years ago. He too got to No 10 without winning a general election. Brown famously missed his chance in 2007 because he feared the opinion polls were turning against a clear victory.
    Some Tories working closely with May say she resembles Brown in other ways: paranoid, bullying, over-reliant on unaccountable advisers but ultimately indecisive and cautious. This is the moment for her to prove them wrong and run ahead of the storm. Otherwise things will only get harder."

• Options

Mr. Doethur, np.

Mr. Doethur (2), May can't have a Scottish independence referendum during negotiations. Before or after might make sense, during is a case of Sturgeon transparently playing silly buggers.

Which is why I would have held it on Thursday 4th May, accompanied by large posters quoting Sturgeon's speech everywhere juxtaposed with some of the domestic disasters that have happened on her watch. That would have been that. This way Sturgeon gets to play Violet Elizabeth for another three years while hiding the true extent of her failure on domestic policy.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Here's the ultra well informed Adam Boulton writing in today's Sunday Times forecasting that a General Election could be be called for as early as 4 May .... hey folks, that's in just and a half weeks' time:

"If May announces her intention to go to the country to confirm her Brexit strategy at the same time as she triggers article 50 at the end of this month, she could just manage to coincide the general election with the local elections on May 4.
    Then or later, the Fixed Term Parliament Act is not much of an obstacle. The easiest way to overrule it would be a two-thirds majority vote in the Commons. Conservative MPs want an early election because they think they would do well and seats would not be cut down by new boundaries. Jeremy Corbyn is on record as saying: “If there is a vote to dissolve parliament then obviously we will vote with it.” Even if he backtracks, the majority of Labour MPs still see painful election chemotherapy as the quickest and surest way to purge their party of the Corbyn cancer.
    May is in a similar position to Gordon Brown 10 years ago. He too got to No 10 without winning a general election. Brown famously missed his chance in 2007 because he feared the opinion polls were turning against a clear victory.
    Some Tories working closely with May say she resembles Brown in other ways: paranoid, bullying, over-reliant on unaccountable advisers but ultimately indecisive and cautious. This is the moment for her to prove them wrong and run ahead of the storm. Otherwise things will only get harder."

Normally I'd think Bollox to such an idea but we live in strange times. The small majority is awkward for May undoubtedly. A GE? Who knows?
  • Options
    I think ThomasNashe missed my reference to the asteroid. Yes we will have a long period of decline, but thats after the short sharp shock of our economy collapsing through the confidence hit of industry falling over under WTO tariffs. And I do mean confidence - our fiat currency is anot act of confidence rather than actual money, kick the legs out of confidence and it goes south rather quickly.

Like a banking run it will be a cumulative accelerating collapse. The decision of one business impacts the decision making of the next who impacts on the next 3 then the next 5 and so on. "We'll threaten them with tariffs" will bleat Rees Moggy, but why would business want that level of uncertainty and the cost of operating like that? And slamming the shutters down on trade in that matter is the literal antithesis of what the Rees Moggs of this world stand for, so that has its own shock factor that will accelerate the collapse.

And yes, Scotland will need the Euro. Because you can imagine what cable will be worth whilst this collapse is going on
  • Options

Excellent post. I think the predictions of doom predicated on a huge Brexit-inspired recession are misplaced. That's unlikely to happen. Instead what we face is decades of slow decline and stagnation, missed opportunities as this self-imposed insularity makes us look less relevant to the rest of the world.

Yep - that's exactly why I voted Remain.

Leaving the EU means that jobs that would have been created in the UK will now be created elsewhere and investments that would have been made here will now happen in other countries. Missed opportunities and lower growth will be the name of the game. But the wealthy nationalists that led the Leave campaign will be fine, so that's OK.

• Options

Because you can imagine what cable will be worth whilst this collapse is going on

Is that a typing error? It doesn't seem to make sense.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited March 2017

When we arrive at the brink of the prospect you describe parliament will decide in a meaningful way. It is unavoidably an issue of confidence. I expect Mrs May to ditch the Brexit ultras (they are a fairly small minority in the Tory pary in parliament) at that point and we will find ourselves leaving the EU and rejoining EFTA. That the SNP fox will be shot is an added bonus.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Merkel heading for retirement

red red green now heading for a majority ( SPD, the Left, Greens )

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/bundestagswahl/rot-rot-gruen-erreicht-laut-umfrage-knappe-mehrheit-14931775.html
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,964

I think ThomasNashe missed my reference to the asteroid. Yes we will have a long period of decline, but thats after the short sharp shock of our economy collapsing through the confidence hit of industry falling over under WTO tariffs. And I do mean confidence - our fiat currency is anot act of confidence rather than actual money, kick the legs out of confidence and it goes south rather quickly.

Like a banking run it will be a cumulative accelerating collapse. The decision of one business impacts the decision making of the next who impacts on the next 3 then the next 5 and so on. "We'll threaten them with tariffs" will bleat Rees Moggy, but why would business want that level of uncertainty and the cost of operating like that? And slamming the shutters down on trade in that matter is the literal antithesis of what the Rees Moggs of this world stand for, so that has its own shock factor that will accelerate the collapse.

And yes, Scotland will need the Euro. Because you can imagine what cable will be worth whilst this collapse is going on

I didn't. That's the one point in your otherwise excellent post I demur.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880

The Sunday remoan. It must be Meeks o'clock.

*heads back to bed*

This sort of post is amusing. Alastair writes posts that present a point of view, and more importantly are supposed to generate some thought. More importantly, he has made some correct calls recently that other posters ignored (e.g. the Dutch elections, the Brexit court cases) because the calls did not match their wishes.

Now, Don Brind is another matter. ;)
  • Options

Here's the ultra well informed Adam Boulton writing in today's Sunday Times forecasting that a General Election could be be called for as early as 4 May .... hey folks, that's in just six and a half weeks' time:

To get a Brexit strategy mandate, May will have to explain what her Brexit strategy actually is. That means she'll need to develop one.

• Options
    felix said:

Charles said:

felix said:

But a new PM would be free to turn the negotiations anyway they wanted without concerning Parliament.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Because you can imagine what cable will be worth whilst this collapse is going on

cable is the US / GBP exchange rate
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

Will you be annoyed if we don't get plagues of frogs, after all?
  • Options

And the same with banking, where it's even Edinburgh.

Excellent post. I think the predictions of doom preded insularity makes us look less relevant to the rest of the world.

Leaving the EU means that jobs that would have been created in the UK will now be created elsewhere and investments that would have been made here will now happen in other countries. Missed opportunities and lower growth will be the name of the game. But the wealthy nationalists that led the Leave campaign will be fine, so that's OK.

you have absolutely no way of knowing what will happen to investments

two weeks ago Remainers were wittering on about the death of UK car production

last week Toyota announced it was investing quarter a billion quid

one could equally argue that investments made in the EU to take advantage of favourable tax regimes in Ireland and Luxemburg will be forced to come back to the UK if they want to keep trading here
  • Options
    edited March 2017

To get a Brexit strategy mandate, May will have to explain what her Brexit strategy actually is. That means she'll need to develop one.

All she will need to do to get any sort of mandate is remind people that if they don't vote for her discredited former head of the CPS Keir Starmer will be in charge of negotiating our exit strategy, Diane Abbott will be in charge of immigration and policing, Jon Macdonnell will be in charge of national finances, Emily Thornberry will be talking to foreign heads of government and Jeremy Corbyn will have his finger on the nuclear button.

Under such circumstances, even Arthur Balfour wouldn't have much trouble winning an election.
  • Options

felix said:

Charles said:

felix said:

But a new PM would be free to turn the negotiations anyway they wanted without concerning Parliament.
    Indeed - and Parliament would retain the right to change things - a majority for a new act is all that is required.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    I don't think there is going to be much opportunity for the "leaver MP's" to scream betrayal, other than to their remainer critics. All the signs are that they have the PM where they want her, and with the inevitable hard Brexit with no parliamentary oversight, they are simply getting what they wanted. And arguably, what the people voted for, which was triggering Article 50 on June 24th.

The focus of the anger will move to the EU itself, when the hard Brexit/ WTO situation turns out to be sub optimal and economically problematic. That, I am afraid to say, is the simple logic of the politics of nationalism and grievance, you just blame someone else for the problems, rather than making difficult decisions.

And so it goes on forever, increasing fragmentation and squabbling. Its the same difference, UK and the EU, Scotland and the UK, Northern Ireland / Ireland and the UK, etc etc etc.

Political nationalism is toxic, always has been. We've seen this many times in the twentieth century and it usually ends in war and poverty.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

And don't we already have London as the second most populated French city?

• Options
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

cable is the US / GBP exchange rate
    Ah, that's OK then. I thought RP was making an obscure reference to Vince, and I wondered why his value would plummet under these circumstances (well, more than it did after the Browne report).
  • Options

Excellent post. I think the predictions of doom preded insularity makes us look less relevant to the rest of the world.

one could equally argue that investments made in the EU to take advantage of favourable tax regimes in Ireland and Luxemburg will be forced to come back to the UK if they want to keep trading here

None of us know the future shock.

We all weigh evidence and make decisions on what we see shock.

• Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

You clearly have not understood what he's written. Or maybe you haven't actually read it.
    "We Conservatives do not need to read things. We always know exactly what the situation is. And we Conservatives are always right. Everybody else is always wrong."

Didn`t Mrs May once say something like that?
  • Options

None of us know the future shock.

We all weigh evidence and make decisions on what we see shock.

correct, so why you keep confidently telling us what you cant know is bizarre.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

And don't we already have London as the second most populated French city?

During a recent visit to Paris it occurred to me that London might be the city with the largest French population.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    As a side note, the grand irony of all this is that the hard Brexit that May is pursuing and almost no one on here actually wants only serves the wishes of around 35 - 40% of voters in the referendum. The historic failure is that of the remainers to work with the 10% of 'liberal leavers' - ie the Flexcit lot - in the period after the referendum to pursue an EEA type deal. The deal that people like SeanT claim to want and somehow still believe will happen against all the indicators.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

All she will need to do to get any sort of mandate is remind people that if they don't vote for her discredited former head of the CPS Keir Starmer will be in charge of negotiating our exit strategy, Diane Abbott will be in charge of immigration and policing, Jon Macdonnell will be in charge of national finances, Emily Thornberry will be talking to foreign heads of government and Jeremy Corbyn will have his finger on the nuclear button.

Under such circumstances, even Arthur Balfour wouldn't have much trouble winning an election.

Of course, that's a given (though I doubt Keir Starmer will be much of a target), but she has all she needs now and elections are a risk. One could, for example, see the SNP seek a specific mandate for a second referendum.

• Options
    nielh said:

As a side note, the grand irony of all this is that the hard Brexit that May is pursuing and almost no one on here actually wants only serves the wishes of around 35 - 40% of voters in the referendum. The historic failure is that of the remainers to work with the 10% of 'liberal leavers' - ie the Flexcit lot - in the period after the referendum to pursue an EEA type deal. The deal that people like SeanT claim to want and somehow still believe will happen against all the indicators.

that chance died when Dave flounced out
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Mr Observer,

"I agree. But that has nothing to do with Alastair's article."

It has everything to with Mr Meek's article. If we had a referendum on whether to go to war with Adolf, we might well have voted Yes at the time. Then Parliament would have been hamstrung about when and if to surrender. It wold have meant continuing the war to its end - which actually happened.

if Parliament, in its wisdom decides, that a referendum is needed (and they did), they can't then row back when they don't like the result.

We didn't have a referendum in 1939, so parliament could have voted to sue for peace after the fall of Norway. In an alternative universe, that happened an infinite number of times.

What Mr Meeks and you would prefer(correct me if I'm wrong) is that if the going gets tough, or is portrayed as getting too tough, Parliament could reverse or rerun the referendum.

That would surely happen if it's left to Parliament. The EU would be fools not to take advantage. What would you do if you were the EU negotiators?

This discussion has been closed.