Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The French election looks set to be biggest non-UK/US politica

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The French election looks set to be biggest non-UK/US political betting event ever

Exactly 5 weeks on from today, on April 23rd, voters in France will participate in the round one of the presidential election and betting interest has been enormous. Currently on the Betfair exchange alone £7.5m of wagers have been matched and looks set to be bettered in size terms only by BREXIT and Trump.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,756
    edited March 2017
    First like Le Big Mac.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,547
    Deuxieme comme le Pen.
  • BojabobBojabob Posts: 642
    An excellent thread OPT from Alastair, and some wise commentary from @SeanT. I hadn't actually considered just how hoist the Hard Leavers are going to be by their own petard until I read Alastair's analysis.

Meantime, my theory that many PB Provincials prioritise getting one over on That There London over what's actually good for the UK economy is further confirmed by the responses to SeanT OPT. Hmm.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good afternoon, everyone.

I pretty much agree. Macron's clearly the one to beat.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    Bojabob said:

An excellent thread OPT from Alastair, and some wise commentary from @SeanT. I hadn't actually considered just how hoist the Hard Leavers are going to be by their own petard until I read Alastair's analysis.

Meantime, my theory that many PB Provincials prioritise getting one over on That There London over what's actually good for the UK economy is further confirmed by the responses to SeanT OPT. Hmm.

You don't speak for London. It's not like there is a single view on the matter in London or anywhere else in the country, even Scotland has a hell of a lot of Leavers. So this X versus London idea is a load of bollocks.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,724
    edited March 2017

Good afternoon, everyone.

I pretty much agree. Macron's clearly the one to beat.

If Macron is going to urge a ‘buy European’ pollcy that may not be entirely to our advantage!
    King Cole, it should never be assumed that a Frenchman will act to our advantage.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,968
    Bojabob said:

Its rather amusing that you keep telling us how the provincial proles are going to lose when the evidence from the last seven years is that the provincial proles keep winning.

For example we were told repeatedly that Leavers were going to be hoist by their own petard when their request for an EU referendum was met.

Yet its you who is now dangling.
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

Repeat after me, whenever there might be Jocks, Paddies or Taffs watching, the UK is not England. That just wastes years of 'partnership of equals' bullshit.

https://twitter.com/KristoferKeane/status/843464762621149184

The map is correct except they failed to show the future seat of English government at Oakham Castle in the Grand Duchy of Rutland.

Shocking error .... :sunglasses:
    Surely Oakham wouldn't want to house a government; there's only a limited space for all the horseshoes to hang? ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakham_Castle#The_Horseshoes
    I thought Oakham Castle a fine venue - the perfect size for slimmed down government, little seating to limit legislative procrastination and overseen by equine historicism of peers of the realm .. :smiley:

isam said:

Why is it that people who are not from London, but live there, hate on their real homes so much? They are often the same people that complain about "division"

In London 30% of people didn't care enough to vote, 42% were for Remain, and 28% for Leave. So the idea that London is an island of Leavers in a sea of Remainers is nonsense. It's not that black and white, and I really doubt that many people voted one way or the other to get one over on another area of the country. And even if London was solidly Remain, so bloody what? The votes of Londoners are worth no more or less than any other vote.

• JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,548
    isam said:

Bojabob said:

Its rather amusing that you keep telling us how the provincial proles are going to lose when the evidence from the last seven years is that the provincial proles keep winning.

For example we were told repeatedly that Leavers were going to be hoist by their own petard when their request for an EU referendum was met.

I thought I posted but it disappeared.. maybe I didn't press "post Comment"

Why is it that people who are not from London, but live there, hate on their real homes so much? They are often the same people that complain about "division"
    Home is where the heart is.

Besides, what is meant by your concept of 'real homes'? I was born and bred in Derbyshire, but I haven't lived there for many years. I have a fondness for the county, and like to visit occasionally, but my home is now Cambridgeshire. Or, when I've moved around a lot transiently in the past, wherever I've lived.

Also: moving away from a place can give you a perspective on it that you may not get if you remain there: warts and all.

First like Le Big Mac.

OGH discourages the promotion of French fast food outlets.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    Ruth thinks Osborne should do the decent thing by his constituents and stand down as MP for Tatton;

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/19/ruth-davidson-doubts-george-osborne-ability-remain-mp-evening-standard

Meanwhile self-serving Tony Blair doesn't think there's a problem...

I know who I'd listen to.
    GIN1138 said:

Ruth thinks Osborne should do the decent thing by his constituents and stand down as MP for Tatton;

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/19/ruth-davidson-doubts-george-osborne-ability-remain-mp-evening-standard

Thank you but I've yet to make a conclusive determination on the issue ....
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Tim Farron is correct. The Liberal Democrats are now the main opposition.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    edited March 2017

isam said:

Bojabob said:

I thought I posted but it disappeared.. maybe I didn't press "post Comment"

Home is where the heart is.

Besides, what is meant by your concept of 'real homes'? I was born and bred in Derbyshire, but I haven't lived there for many years. I have a fondness for the county, and like to visit occasionally, but my home is now Cambridgeshire. Or, when I've moved around a lot transiently in the past, wherever I've lived.

Also: moving away from a place can give you a perspective on it that you may not get if you remain there: warts and all.
    I guess I think of home as where I grew up and where most of my family still live. Wherever I have lived, whenever I am asked where I am from I'd say Hornchurch. But I think it differs from person to person, there doesn't have to be a cast iron rule. What I find strange is how many people who live in London, but aren't Londoners, are embarrassed of the place they are from and the people who live there. Often these people are the ones who shout loudest for tolerance and diversity.
    surbiton said:

All 8 of them... :smiley:
    GIN1138 said:

As I understand it, Osborne has nothing to do between the last Division bell and 5:30 in the morning.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    GIN1138 said:

surbiton said:

9 of them.
    Mr. Gin, nine.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,684
    GIN1138 said:

Tony over that donkey for sure Gin
    GIN1138 said:

surbiton said:

Cough .... Richmond .... Cough .... :smiley:
    edited March 2017
    OK, OK, it's nine. Nine MP's for the Lib-Dems.

I guess when your down to "single digits" you need every MP you can get...
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Repeat after me, whenever there might be Jocks, Paddies or Taffs watching, the UK is not England. That just wastes years of 'partnership of equals' bullshit.

The map is correct except they failed to show the future seat of English government at Oakham Castle in the Grand Duchy of Rutland.

Surely Oakham wouldn't want to house a government; there's only a limited space for all the horseshoes to hang? ;)

I thought Oakham Castle a fine venue - the perfect size for slimmed down government, little seating to limit legislative procrastination and overseen by equine historicism of peers of the realm .. :smiley:

Oakham Castle is only be big enough for a large dinner party, it is small but perfectly formed.
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

The unsuspecting coming to PB for the first time will consider your comment another example of charming Scottish regional dialect in the pub .... :smile:
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited March 2017
    surbiton said:

Thats a bit like saying Aberdeen is now the main opposition to Celtic winning the title every year. Celtic are still shit, but Rangers are utter bollocks and Aberdeen are marginally better.

GIN1138 said:

I guess when your down to "single digits you need every MP you can get...

Tell that to The Great Leader Paul Nuttall.
    JackW said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

The unsuspecting coming to PB for the first time will consider your comment another example of charming Scottish regional dialect in the pub .... :smile:
    I still don't know what the hell he is talking about.
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

:open_mouth:

Is that the first time you've posted something positive about Tony in all your years on here Malc?

Your not turning into a NU-Labour supporter are you? ;)
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    surbiton said:

They are in York today having their conference at the Barbican Centre .They are not the main opposition in the council City of York they are in coalition with the Conservatives and governing as such.Labour have the most seats.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165

First like Le Big Mac.

André-Pierre Gignac is contesting the French Presidential Election? :o
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Paul who? ;)

JackW said:

JackW said:

Oakham Castle is only be big enough for a large dinner party, it is small but perfectly formed.
    Accordingly @Andrea would consider the local MP (aka Hunky Dinky Dunky) to be an admirable fit for Presiding Officer of an English Parliament.
    edited March 2017

surbiton said:

Thats a bit like saying Aberdeen is now the main opposition to Celtic winning the title every year. Celtic are still shit, but Rangers are utter bollocks and Aberdeen are marginally better.

In that metaphor that would mean the Tories are still sh..oh, I see where you're coming from.
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Paul who? ;)
    NUT - ALL
    edited March 2017

surbiton said:

In that metaphor that would mean the Tories are still sh..oh, I see where you're coming from.
    Stretching the analogy, that makes the SNP = East Kilbride. World Record Winning Streak, but play in the Lowland League.
    edited March 2017
    surbiton said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Paul who? ;)
    NUT - ALL
    Is that the guy who served in the Falklands and was a City trader as well as being a top striker for Liverpool FC and appeared in Return of the Jedi as an Ewok?

surbiton said:

Tories = SHIT

Labour = slightly better than Lib DEms

Lib Dems = Utter Bollocks

Got it !
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Tories = SHIT

Labour = slightly better than Lib DEms

Lib Dems = Utter Bollocks

Got it !
    It appears you are struggling with reading comprehension again.
    JackW said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Unfortunately I am in the house drinking coke zero Jack and assisting with household duties.
    edited March 2017

surbiton said:

Stretching the analogy, that makes the SNP = East Kilbride. World Record Winning Streak, but play in the Lowland League.
    But strangely managing to get many more points than 'Aberdeen' in the English..oops..UK Premier League.
    GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Is that the first time you've posted something positive about Tony in all your years on here Malc?

It is indeed Gin, support for Tony was relative to the adversary. Bit like having one leg off or two, best of a bad lot.

surbiton said:

According to May they are getting on with the day job unlike the SNP who should be concentrating on the NHS Schools prisons etc .Pots and kettles does not come close.
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

It is indeed Gin, support for Tony was relative to the adversary. Bit like having one leg off or two, best of a bad lot.
    Oh good. I thought you was turning to the dark side for a sec...
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,922
    GIN1138 said:

surbiton said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Paul who? ;)
    NUT - ALL
    Is that the guy who served in the Falklands and was a City trader as well as being a top striker for Liverpool FC and appeared in Return of the Jedi as an Ewok?
    Yes, the MP for Stoke-on-Trent Central.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,719
    edited March 2017
    I disagree that Le Pen' s chance comes if Fillon fails to make the final round, OpinionWay had her on 41% in the runoff against Macron last week, not much different than she was polling against Fillon and she will find Fillon voters easier to squeeze than Hamon voters
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,776
    glw said:

isam said:

In London 30% of people didn't care enough to vote, 42% were for Remain, and 28% for Leave. So the idea that London is an island of Leavers in a sea of Remainers is nonsense. It's not that black and white, and I really doubt that many people voted one way or the other to get one over on another area of the country. And even if London was solidly Remain, so bloody what? The votes of Londoners are worth no more or less than any other vote.

Inner London's the outlier. Outer London is closer to the rest of England than it is to Inner London, in terms of outlook.
  • PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Tim Pool has gone to Paris

https://youtu.be/yAYJYfw9h_k
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

You are ungrateful TB gave you devolution and your own parliament no pleasing Scots.You should live in Northern England you could have something to moan about.
    BBC Archive
    #Onthisday 1995: Alan Sugar was delivering a boardroom barracking over the idea of using email. It'll never catch on... https://t.co/T4150m3pLz
    Hmmm

Raphael Setter
    How often does FBI impersonate journalists in the course of investigations? @AP + @rcfp lawsuit looks for answers. https://t.co/tSxqusoHJI
    PlatoSaid said:

BBC Archive
    #Onthisday 1995: Alan Sugar was delivering a boardroom barracking over the idea of using email. It'll never catch on... https://t.co/T4150m3pLz

Bit like IBM and personal computers, then.
    And didn’t he give Katie Hopkins a job?
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    To help further relations with Scotland TMay should arrange border signs on M6&A1
    Welcome to England - yet again winner Calcutta Cup
    61-21
  • PlatoSaid said:

BBC Archive

Wow - hasn't he aged over the past 22 years - probably as a result of having to deal with tens of thousands of emails over that period!
    isam said:

Some people move to London expecting to be great successes.

Some succeed but others fail.

And it can be difficult to 'return home' feeling a failure.

So instead they remain in London and have a lower quality of life than they could have had in their home towns and grow bitter about it. And the one achievement they can cling to is being a Londoner where being a Londoner, with its vicarious sophistication and success, is their equivalent of a good job or nice house.

In my experience people who come from London don't have this issue.

To help further relations with Scotland TMay should arrange border signs on M6&A1
    61-21

That might be construed as a hate crime Mike.

Websites have been shut down for less :wink:
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,044

PlatoSaid said:

BBC Archive

Wow - hasn't he aged over the past 22 years - probably as a result of having to deal with tens of thousands of emails over that period!
    Still, not as bad as the guys at DEC who said the PC would never catch on, or, indeed, Bill Gates who derided the Internet.
    edited March 2017

PlatoSaid said:

BBC Archive

Still, not as bad as the guys at DEC who said the PC would never catch on, or, indeed, Bill Gates who derided the Internet.
    Paul Krugman said the internet was just a fad...whose impact on the economy will be no greater than the fax machine.

He gets very prickly if people pull him up on this though. By prickly I mean he screams no fair, no fair, it wasn't suppose to be a serious article, it was supposed to be fun, I am an economist not a technology person, no fair, no fair...wwwaaahhhhhhh.

Rather than just say hey I simply got it wrong.

61-21

I can't help feeling that OGH missed his true calling in the diplomatic service ....

PlatoSaid said:

BBC Archive

In the mid-2000s I worked at a leading university. There were still Profs who had their secretary print out each email so they could read it properly at their desk and scribble a response on the bottom. The secretary then typed in the response into the 'computer-thingy'.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

61-21

It would be more controversial if the sign read

Welcome to England HOME of the Calcutta Cup

PlatoSaid said:

BBC Archive

Paul Krugman said the internet was just a fad...whose impact on the economy will be no greater than the fax machine.

He gets very prickly if people pull him up on this though.
    The internet might well be a fad. The Internet is another matter. :-)
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    edited March 2017

PlatoSaid said:

BBC Archive

He should hire a secretary for that. Man, being a CEO is easy.

61-21

Is Mike Smithson a sleeper agent for the SNP? .... Discuss.
    edited March 2017
    How does Sugar earn his money these days? I seemed to remember a lot of it is property development...like his American counterpart on that show whose name I have forgotten.

Do people really still buy Viglen computers? I seemed to remember he made a packet out of the early Sky Boxes, but now I presume is all just made direct in China?
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,547

PlatoSaid said:

BBC Archive

Bill Gates did a screeching and timely U turn on the Internet. Ultimately the Internet will kill off Windows but it has had a hugely profitable co-existence for a couple of decades.

PlatoSaid said:

BBC Archive

Didn't Bill Gates once think no PC would ever need more than 640KB memory ?
    GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Never fear - if there is a word to describe malcolmG, it is 'consistent'.
  • GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited March 2017

How does Sugar earn his money these days? I seemed to remember a lot of it is property development...like his American counterpart on that show whose name I have forgotten.

Do people really still buy Viglen computers? I seemed to remember he made a packet out of the early Sky Boxes, but now I presume is all just made direct in China?

I think Viglen have a distribution deal with Tesco, but Sugar sold out a few years ago.

Edit to add linky:
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/09/viglen_merges_with_xma/
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    edited March 2017

61-21

Indeed and a handy place to keep the stone of Scone.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,630
    FF43 said:

PlatoSaid said:

BBC Archive

Bill Gates did a screeching and timely U turn on the Internet. Ultimately the Internet will kill off Windows but it has had a hugely profitable co-existence for a couple of decades.
    Gates & Microsoft tried to create a walled garden (MSN) - the idea of open standards (such as the internet) was an abomination to them.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    felix said:

61-21

Was in England for over 600 years without incident, but as soon as it gets to Scotland it gets broken in two.... just sayin' :p
    Mr. Malmesbury, interesting. Sounds a bit like what Apple try to do by making products that only easily integrate with other Apple hardware.
    edited March 2017
    FF43 said:

PlatoSaid said:

BBC Archive

Windows revenue is actually rising at the moment, and even if Windows does eventually decline that shouldn't be too much of a problem as Office 365 and Azure are doing very well. Azure was up 93% YoY in the last results. So overall the Internet has been good for Microsoft's business.

Mr. Malmesbury, interesting. Sounds a bit like what Apple try to do by making products that only easily integrate with other Apple hardware.

Works to some extent, but Microsoft keep trying it with things that are already out of their control.
  • BudGBudG Posts: 711
    edited March 2017
    @MikeSmithson

Mike you say that "Things look good at the moment for the 39 year old independent now running for En Marche, Emmanuel Macron. He has a 20%+ second round poll margin over Le Pen but a narrower one over the Republican, Fillon"

I haven't actually seen that there have been any head to head polls between Macron and Fillon since early January, before Penelopegate hit and at a time when Fillon had a 5-7 point lead over Macron in the first round polls. This head to head showed only a 52-48 lead for Macron in a head to head.

However, with the position now reversed, with Macron having a 5-7 point lead over Fillon, after the impact of the financial scandal that has hit Fillon, one would have to assume that the head to head margin between them would have lengthened considerably.

Have there been any more recent Macron/Fillon head to head polls, or are you basing your assumption on that poll from early January?

Edit, there is a more recent poll from 26/27th January which showed Macron winning 58-42. But that was just as Penelopegate was breaking
  • GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    On matters tech - my bitcoins have taken a hit. Down about 20% from last week. Tiny bit of an uptick today though but still trending nastily.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Ergodan's gone off on one again, this time personally accusing Angela Merkel of using 'Nazi methods'.

Ergodan's gone off on one again, this time personally accusing Angela Merkel of using 'Nazi methods'.

Method to his madness i guess, given he seems to be doing fine.

Oh dear. He's done a Boris? :p
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    RobD said:

Oh dear. He's done a Boris? :p
    On the subject of Mutti and Nazis, this was rather good:

https://twitter.com/Inked1BNA/status/842992080896978944
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,719

If he opens the floodgates for migrants from Turkey into southern Europe that could change the French and German elections a bit, Merkal and Hollande do not want to antagonise him too much
  • PlatoSaid said:

BBC Archive

512k iirc
    SeanT said:

I just wrote 3,700 words of my thriller.

In two hours. I think that may be a personal best, possibly even a world record?

Did your mother never tell you it is quality not quantity...
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    GeoffM said:

On matters tech - my bitcoins have taken a hit. Down about 20% from last week. Tiny bit of an uptick today though but still trending nastily.

If they are 20% down on last week, this may be the time to buy. Do you mind me asking who do you buy them though, and would you recommend them?
    Mr. Urquhart, not always. Lots of people heard the 50 Shades hype, bought it, read 30-40 pages and gave up. EL James still racked up immense sales.

Alas, for the importance of marketing in book sales.
    SeanT said:

In two hours. I think that may be a personal best, possibly even a world record?

I am very certain people will have written more in that time. Of a story? Still probably. Of comparable quality? In sufficient facts to determine the matter.
    SeanT said:

Unfortunately, Ann Frank's speed writing record has been lost in the mists of time. :p
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited March 2017
    felix said:

61-21

Nah. It was sent back.....

At least we think it was sent back......

http://mysongbook.de/msb/songs/w/weemagic.html
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669

PlatoSaid said:

BBC Archive

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."

Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

I am very certain people will have written more in that time. Of a story? Still probably. Of comparable quality? In sufficient facts to determine the matter.
    What’s a reasonable length for a book to be considered a novel rather than a novella. And what’s a saleable length for either. I ask because I’ve written something .... not for the same markets as Mr T or Mr D ..... and I’m terying to decide whether to add more to it. I’ve got a nice beginning and a satisfactory end. Currently its about 32,000 words.
  • CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited March 2017
    Dupont-Aignan's walkout from the televised TF1 interview had 9 million hits on Facebook by earlier this afternoon. (Source.)

What is a primary? It can be defined in party terms, or in part of the spectrum terms: help this party or this "wing" of politics choose its candidate. But the most important feature is that candidates are whittled down. The first round of the French presidential election is basically an all-spectrum primary, with three TV debates. Expect surprises.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    The New York Times tells Scotland to get to the back of the queue.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/18/opinion/sunday/scottish-independence-can-wait.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/18/opinion/sunday/scottish-independence-can-wait.html

The arrogance of some is astounding! I was expecting it to be an opinion peiece, but it was penned by the editorial board.
    King Cole, that'd be a novella.

A novel (lower end) would be around 60-80,000, I'd say. People sometimes overestimate fantasy (mind are slightly on the long side, usually around 95-100,000).

However, try not to just pad or bloat. If adding more improves the book, by all means do it. But don't try to hit a word count. The words are there to tell a story, the story isn't there to hit a word count.
    Yorkcity said:

surbiton said:

According to May they are getting on with the day job unlike the SNP who should be concentrating on the NHS Schools prisons etc .Pots and kettles does not come close.
    LOL
  • CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited March 2017

:) I doubt Sturgeon will have the guts to tell the NYT to butt off out of it!

Russia Today won't match the NYT for gall.

Can the Scotsman newspaper please now call for Calexit.

61-21

One lucky victory Mike
This discussion has been closed.