Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The PM will invoke Article 50 next week with the country still

SystemSystem Posts: 11,016
edited March 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The PM will invoke Article 50 next week with the country still totally divided over whether it is the right thing to do

If the Prime Minister was hoping that the ending of the parliamentary approval process for Article 50 would swing opinion more behind the move then she is going to be disappointed.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    First like LEAVE.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,940
    edited March 2017
    Second.

There are issues here: reading the hardcore leavers on here, there's very little attempt to win over remainers. They've won, and that's all that matters.

Yes, there are some remainers who will never be won over. However there are many more that could be: and that is the continued job of leavers. Their job was not complete on 23rd June last year.

If they fail, and especially if they continue their triumphalism, they may find the country swinging against them. And that's bad for the country, especially if Brexit turns out to be harder than they think.

(Mr Tyndall is generally an exception to this).
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Laura Kuenssberg‏Verified account @bbclaurak 1m1 minute ago
    More
    Police officer has told me someone has been shot outside portcullis house - not clear what's happening f
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    FPT:
    stodge said:

stodge said:

Mortimer said:

Last night a PB meet next Wednesday evening in central London was mooted. Any more interested? We have about 8 so far...

Wine bar is looking likely....unless SeanT can somehow sign more than 4 of us into the Groucho.... :)

Is the criterion for attendance having voted LEAVE last year ? If so, I could attend.

I suspect my views on the future of "Global Britain" might not chime with the majority.

I'll back you up, Stodge.
    Much appreciated, my friend. We still have the small matter of no venue as apparently every wine bar in London is hosting an A50 party (if we are to believe Dixie who knows all the senior Conservatives and has been invited to all the parties).

How about I book a spot for 10 pax at Truckles in Pie Bull Yard, just off Bury Place, for 6pm Weds 29th.

All those in favour say AYE.....

• Options
    Sh*t. Hope everyone's okay in London.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Shooting at parliament?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    Labour's strategy is to target the 12% Don't Knows.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Sky News: gunshots heard outside Parliament.

http://news.sky.com/
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2017
    PB's don brind on bbc now.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    If it had been 52% Remain, 48% Leave, just how would the 52% be trying to placate the 48%? As they ploughed on with ever greater union....
  • Options
    Nu thread?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Don talked about man dresses in all black.
  • Options
    Thoughts are with the injured in London.

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    If the Prime Minister was hoping that the ending of the parliamentary approval process for Article 50 would swing opinion more behind the move then she is going to be disappointed.

The latest YouGov tracker is out and as can be seen in the chart the country is still totally divided on whether it is a good thing or a bad thing.

The chart shows no such thing. It is asking whether Brexit is a good idea, not whether or not May should invoke Article 50. These are separate concepts and Remainers who don't understand this are making a category error between policy and process.
  • Options

If it had been 52% Remain, 48% Leave, just how would the 52% be trying to placate the 48%? As they ploughed on with ever greater union....

If it had been that close then things would be very different. For one thing, would leavers such as yourself really have given up on leaving the EU if it had been that close?

Most wouldn't. And neither should they, if it's what they believe in.

The pressure on Cameron would have been immense; as others have recently noted, UKIP would probably be easily on 20%+.

The only way it would have gone as you say above is if leave had been trounced: say 75/25.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    I have spoken to Mr Smithson . He is aware of the developments in Westminster. but he is on a train and a new thread will appear in a little while...
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Is this the wrong thread in the wrong order?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    JohnLoony said:

Is this the wrong thread in the wrong order?

Yes. This was posted at almost exactly the same time as the Westminster terrror attack started and was set aside.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    In case anyone missed it....

OLD THREAD

:p
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Your headline is wrong, I think.

The poll refers to whether Brexit is the right thing to do or not, not whether it is right to invoke Article 50.

It is not incoherent to believe that Brexit is the wrong thing to do, but it's right to invoke the Article.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    Charles said:

Your headline is wrong, I think.

The poll refers to whether Brexit is the right thing to do or not, not whether it is right to invoke Article 50.

It is not incoherent to believe that Brexit is the wrong thing to do, but it's right to invoke the Article.

It's a very simple question to ask - and then we could see how Leave and Remain voters view it.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning all.

Not entirely surprised to find that those who expressed an opinion on Brexit, have not changed their minds. What would be interesting to know is who supports the democratic result and now supports implementing A50.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Morning all.

Not entirely surprised to find that those who expressed an opinion on Brexit, have not changed their minds. What would be interesting to know is who supports the democratic result and now supports implementing A50.

Indeed. Little has happened to change people's minds either.

My total guess/prediction is... If Brexit does go bad... It won't help the lib Dems to say i told you so. It might help Labour to say "we would have done it better" (assuming a change of leadership by then).

If it goes well - support for staying in will be quietly forgotten like support for joining the euro.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,922
    Whether people support Article 50 being invoked or not on 29th March is not really a long term issue. It's going to happen and that part of the process will soon be forgotten. What matters a lot more is how the country reacts to what happens next. Will voters buy the claim that it's all the EU's fault that the UK either has to take a deal that does not deliver a clean break or walk off a cliff edge? If views are as split as the polling indicates that is far from certain.
  • Options

Whether people support Article 50 being invoked or not on 29th March is not really a long term issue. It's going to happen and that part of the process will soon be forgotten. What matters a lot more is how the country reacts to what happens next. Will voters buy the claim that it's all the EU's fault that the UK either has to take a deal that does not deliver a clean break or walk off a cliff edge? If views are as split as the polling indicates that is far from certain.

We may already know the answer:

And do you think the other member states of the European Union will or will not agree to the sort of Brexit deal that Theresa May is proposing?
    Net agree: -36

Theresa May suggested that Britain would walk away from negotiations if other European Union countries are not prepared to offer a good deal. This would mean Britain leaving the EU without a new trade deal and tariffs being applies to imports and exports between Britain and the EU. Do you think Britain should or should not be prepared to walk away from a bad deal?
    Walk Away: 55
    Get any deal: 24

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/xalfiwu0ed/TimesResults_170118_VI_Trackers_MaySpeech_W.pdf

Of course things can change, but I wouldn't count on a huge swing of sympathy in favour of the EU......
  • Options

And do you think the other member states of the European Union will or will not agree to the sort of Brexit deal that Theresa May is proposing?

Theresa May suggested that Britain would walk away from negotiations if other European Union countries are not prepared to offer a good deal. This would mean Britain leaving the EU without a new trade deal and tariffs being applies to imports and exports between Britain and the EU. Do you think Britain should or should not be prepared to walk away from a bad deal?

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/xalfiwu0ed/TimesResults_170118_VI_Trackers_MaySpeech_W.pdf

Of course things can change, but I wouldn't count on a huge swing of sympathy in favour of the EU......

I am not expecting one. But if things go wrong, my guess is that blaming others will not be a sustainable policy if half the country already believes it's a mistake to be leaving the EU. Tariffs and the higher prices they lead to will, of course, only be a small part of what walking awsy would lead to.

• Options

Interesting polling. Thanks for sharing.
    I can imagine that if people are personally feeling the consequences of a bad/lack of deal then blaming the EU for looking after EU interests wont cut it. It's easy tosay we should walk away in the abstract... But if it's your job being lost?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Labour's strategy is to target the 12% Don't Knows.

I see .... in exchange for the other 88%.

This an an excellent strategy for Labour. Neither fish nor fowl, devoid of clarity and desperately attempting to ensure they hit low twenties in the 2020 general election.

Meanwhile ....In other reports Channel 4 News reporting that Prime Minister Corbyn will receive President Hilary Clinton at his Buckingham Palace residence.

He will accompanied by Foreign Secretary Diane Abbott who has just returned from an overseas trip to North Korea where she has secured a highly successful trade deal to exchange British nuclear technology and fine baking recipes for North Korean aircraft carriers and military parade advisers.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Morning all.

If Brexit does go bad... It won't help the lib Dems to say i told you so.
    So its our fault you didn't persuade us?

Not a lot of mileage in that one......
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Bill Clinton is attending the funeral of Martin McGuinness:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-39356365

WTF?
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Whether people support Articlethat does not deliver a clean break or walk off a cliff edge? If views are as split as the polling indicates that is far from certain.

Theresa May suggested that Britain deal?

I can imagine that if peopleur job being lost?
    rkrkrk said:

Whether people support Article 50r a clean break or walk off a cliff edge? If views are as split as the polling indicates that is far from certain.

I can imagine that if people are personally feeling the consequences of a bad/lack of deal then blaming the EU for looking after EU interests wont cut it. It's easy tosay we should walk away in the abstract... But if it's your job being lost?

Of course, for as long as Corbyn is in place the Tories do have the green light to jump off the cliff edge with impunity. This shows how his leadership is not just catastrophic for Labour but also immensely harmful to the national interest.

• Options
    Sky News - Police raid Edgbaston address overnight linked to Westminster attack. Arrests made.

Channel 4 News - Edgbaston arrests probably cricket related. Jo Root in custody accused of making it possible for England to win matches.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Morning all.

I think that's sort of the point I'm trying to make?
    In longer terms... Voters aren't going to admit they got the decision wrong.
    Better to blame the govt for messing up a workable idea (brexit) and say how our breixit would have been much better.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

WTF?

James Brokenshire - Secretary of State for Northern Ireland too.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,709

rkrkrk said:

Morning all.

If Brexit does go bad don't you think that the Brexiteers would deserve and get some of the blame?
  • Options
    edited March 2017

rkrkrk said:

Morning all.

Presumably the LibDem line will be that the government should not have walked away without first putting the deal the EU has proposed to the voters. That's their policy now, isn't it?

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    JackW said:

tlg86 said:

WTF?

probably to make sure.....
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,214
    It is interesting and slightly odd that there has been so little movement on this. I wonder if there is any underlying churn. The explanation is probably that so little has happened to date. Whilst the claims of immediate disaster have been proven false the response of remainers has been to say, well, we haven't left yet.

I agree that the government, largely made up of former remainers after all, should have tried harder to bring us together again. It is possible that yesterday's outrage might help with this.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Barnier feeling the heat

“A no deal scenario is not what we want,” he said.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Morning all.

If Brexit does go bad don't you think that the Brexiteers would deserve and get some of the blame?
    Certainly - both sides lied horribly 'status quo' vs £350/£250/ £100 million for the NHS - and May has wisely stuck Brexiters in the Brexit ministries - so if it does go tits up they get to own that too.

However, however bad an idea Brexit is, its not as bad an idea as trying to circumvent the result of the referendum.....
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

rkrkrk said:

Morning all.

Certainly - both sides lied horribly 'status quo' vs £350/£250/ £100 million for the NHS - and May has wisely stuck Brexiters in the Brexit ministries - so if it does go tits up they get to own that too.

However, however bad an idea Brexit is, its not as bad an idea as trying to circumvent the result of the referendum.....
    The notion that May can lay the blame for a bad Brexit on anyone else is risible.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It is interesting and slightly odd that there has been so little movement on this. I wonder if there is any underlying churn. The explanation is probably that so little has happened to date. Whilst the claims of immediate disaster have been proven false the response of remainers has been to say, well, we haven't left yet.

I agree that the government, largely made up of former remainers after all, should have tried harder to bring us together again. It is possible that yesterday's outrage might help with this.

It could do, but things quickly move on in politics.

We saw messages of support and acts of solidarity from across Europe yesterday and it looks like a number of non-UK EU citizens were directly caught up in what happened. It would be nice to think that this might also register. Despite last June's vote, there is much more that unites us with our European neighbours than divides us. It would be nice if all those negotiating after next week have that at the front of their minds at all times. But that is very doubtful.

• Options

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

WTF?

probably to make sure.....
    Or as someone remarked at the unexpected crowds at Sam Goldwyn's funeral...'give people what they want and they'll show...'
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Morning all.

The notion that May can lay the blame for a bad Brexit on anyone else is risible.

Clearly the ground work for that is being done. The Tory right wants a low tax, low regulation, small state and the cliff edge provides the perfect cover if it can be blamed on others.

• Options

DavidL said:

We saw messages of support and acts of solidarity from across Europe yesterday and it looks like a number of non-UK EU citizens were directly caught up in what happened. It would be nice to think that this might also register. Despite last June's vote, there is much more that unites us with our European neighbours than divides us. It would be nice if all those negotiating after next week have that at the front of their minds at all times. But that is very doubtful.

Oh I agree. Personally I would start the negotiations with a unilateral declaration that all EU citizens resident on 23rd June last year have the right to remain in the UK indefinitely. It is an inevitable result of the negotiations anyway and would be a very positive note on which to start.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Morning all.

Presumably the LibDem line will be that the government should not have walked away without first putting the deal the EU has proposed to the voters. That's their policy now, isn't it?

Ah that could be effective... Say to voters... You weren't given a chance to vote once you knew the details. And the Tories lied to you.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    DavidL said:

I would be amazed if there wasn't significant churn. I have met doubters on both sides and there have been such comments in here. It is a subject where all but a minority were not well informed and not particularly bothered before the vote. No-one actually knows the truth of the situation and the debate is all heat and no light. There are people who will have voted leave as a protest, not expecting to win or leaving to actually happen and who are now nervous about the consequences, and others who voted remain out of fear and who are now up for the change based on the outcome of the vote.

The lack of change almost certainly reflects the fact that we are no wiser now than we were last year as to what will actually happen and when, rather than that everyone has a fixed settled view?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,304

The response to Juncker's threats in the Metro letters section was very telling yesterday. Almost all of them were highly critical of him, some defiantly so.

We don't like to be bullied. It brings out our stubborn streak. Plenty of the EU apparatchiks fail to understand this part of our national character, and think it instead might shake us into our senses (as they would see it) to Remain.

They will be sorely disappointed. If the EU is unreasonable, I expect public opinion to unite solidly around Mrs. May.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

I would be amazed if there wasn't significant churn. I have met doubters on both sides and there have been such comments in here. It is a subject where all but a minority were not well informed and not particularly bothered before the vote. No-one actually knows the truth of the situation and the debate is all heat and no light. There are people who will have voted leave as a protest, not expecting to win or leaving to actually happen and who are now nervous about the consequences, and others who voted remain out of fear and who are now up for the change based on the outcome of the vote.

The lack of change almost certainly reflects the fact that we are no wiser now than we were last year as to what will actually happen and when, rather than that everyone has a fixed settled view?
    That's my suspicion too. The sad truth is that not enough of the population have had the benefit of the detailed and enlightened discussions on PB. it is their loss.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Oh I agree. Personally I would start the negotiations with a unilateral declaration that all EU citizens resident on 23rd June last year have the right to remain in the UK indefinitely. It is an inevitable result of the negotiations anyway and would be a very positive note on which to start.

Yep - absolutely. This should already have been done.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Right: 44-47
    Wrong: 42-45

The public have already signalled that they think the UK government's position is a reasonable one.

This means that the EU are set to take the rap for any failure to agree and it will merely reinforce feelings about the general uselessness of the EU as an entity.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

The response to Juncker's threats in the Metro letters section was very telling yesterday. Almost all of them were highly critical of him, some defiantly so.

We don't like to be bullied. It brings out our stubborn streak. Plenty of the EU apparatchiks fail to understand this part of our national character, and think it instead might shake us into our senses (as they would see it) to Remain.

They will be sorely disappointed. If the EU is unreasonable, I expect public opinion to unite solidly around Mrs. May.

They will also expect May to find solutions. Walking away is not an end in itself if it essentially means higher prices, lower inward investment, further public service cuts and significant job losses; as well as all the other stuff that will come on top.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    DavidL said:

@Big_G_NorthWales has moved to leave, @John_M who also lives in Wales has moved to remain. Those are the only shifters so far as I can remember here. I expect the general population is similarly entrenched.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    edited March 2017
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

@Big_G_NorthWales has moved to leave, @John_M who also lives in Wales has moved to remain. Those are the only shifters so far as I can remember here. I expect the general population is similarly entrenched.
    Wrong. @Richard_Tyndall has moved to Remain. Irritatingly so.

Edit: just kidding
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Agreed, the Government's line is counterproductive.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Morning all.

Ah that could be effective... Say to voters... You weren't given a chance to vote once you knew the details. And the Tories lied to you.
    "And the Tories lied to you". Nice non-sequiter there. And which Tories? Cameron and Osborne? You will have a tough task convincing voters that Theresa May lied to them about Brexit. The general view I hear is that she was given a hospital pass but has done her best to implement the will of the voters.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

They will also expect May to find solutions. Walking away is not a sustainable solution if it essentially means higher prices, lower inward investment, further public service cuts and significant job losses; as well as all the other stuff that will come on top.

There are no guarantees on any of that tbh. I think after the post-referendum forecasting failures it would be best to refrain from such hold predictions of doom. Inflation is running at 2.2% in Germany, broadly the same as our 2.3% rate of inflation. What's their excuse? At least our industries are dealing with a 15% depreciation of the currency...
  • Options

They will also expect May to find solutions. Walking away is not an end in itself if it essentially means higher prices, lower inward investment, further public service cuts and significant job losses; as well as all the other stuff that will come on top.

Bad budgets and governments mean all those things. So do exogenous events.

I doubt the majority of the public will notice. Or blame the Tories.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

People like @Richard_Nabavi have moved from opposition to we need to do this. It may be that the Yougov polling is not picking up on this because of the question they are asking. I think Richard remains of the view that it would have been better to stay so he would answer the question that way (I think). It would be interesting to see polling on how widely that view, which is essentially May's view, was shared. Quite widely I suspect.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

They will also expect May to find solutions. Walking away is not a sustainable solution if it essentially means higher prices, lower inward investment, further public service cuts and significant job losses; as well as all the other stuff that will come on top.

The mere act of voting Leave was meant to cause all these things yet there is very little sign of any of it so there's little reason to be too concerned

If anything, it appears that voting Leave has repaired the public sector finances and finally killed stagflation/deflation.

• Options
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

People like @Richard_Nabavi have moved from opposition to we need to do this. It may be that the Yougov polling is not picking up on this because of the question they are asking. I think Richard remains of the view that it would have been better to stay so he would answer the question that way (I think). It would be interesting to see polling on how widely that view, which is essentially May's view, was shared. Quite widely I suspect.
    I think most are on the we need to do this page.. My position is that I want the best possible deal for these UK.

Now, my best possible deal will look a lot like EEA/EFTA-Plus (I want a seat at the table in various sectors), given that we are leaving the EU. To others the best possible deal will look a lot like EU membership.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

The public will blame the government for job losses, falls in living standards and public service cuts. It always does. The link with Brexit may well not be made. But that is by the by.

• Options

TOPPING said:

The public will blame the government for job losses, falls in living standards and public service cuts. It always does. The link with Brexit may well not be made. But that is by the by.

Yes that's my point Brexit will be incidental.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

The mere act of voting Leave was meant to cause all these things yet there is very little sign of any of it so there's little reason to be too concerned

If anything, it appears that voting Leave has repaired the public sector finances and finally killed stagflation/deflation.

I never thought the vote would change much immediately. The type of Brexit we get clearly will.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Theresa May suggestedto walk away from a bad deal?

Yes that's my point Brexit will be incidental.

Yep, agree with that. But that means walking off a cliff edge and blaming it on the nasty Europeans is not going to be sustainable.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

I think most are on the we need to do this page.. My position is that I want the best possible deal for these UK.

Now, my best possible deal will look a lot like EEA/EFTA-Plus (I want a seat at the table in various sectors), given that we are leaving the EU. To others the best possible deal will look a lot like EU membership.
    I would like to think that everyone wants the best deal for the UK. I agree with you that that is likely to look a lot like EEA to start with. We want any changes to be gradual and non disruptive.

Over time the share of our trade with the EU will continue to shrink as the EU's share of world trade does likewise. But they will remain important and there is so much more that we share, not least our common security concerns as yesterday highlighted, common values and all the consequences of geography.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107

If if if, its almost like you are hoping for your predicted Brexopalypse.

Let's face it, most people on either side will never admit to being wrong
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Morning all.

If Brexit does turn out to be a really bad idea, think economic hardship, then the idea of 'circumventing the result of the referendum' might become rather popular.
    The advisory referendum result was after all very close and many thought we would remain in the single market.
  • Options

During any sort of conflict situation with another country(ies), there is a tendency to rally to the government (cf. falklands, Iraq). That doesn't preclude, however, people later coming to the view that it was a dreadful mistake.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Barnier has said that an agreement on the status of EU/UK citizens is his first objective from negotiations. Just a shame he didn't take the deal that was offered 6 months ago and release a lot of EU citizens from unnecessary worry
  • Options

Why would I want my country and its population to be impoverished? I have a family, friends and a business here, as well as deep affection for the the UK and its citizens, I am not sure why you'd think I would want all of them to suffer just to be proved right on an internet message board.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,330

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Open a negotiation with by giving something up? Poor plan.

A better opening would be "All EU citizens resident on 23rd June last year have the right to remain in the UK indefinitely - provided that it is reciprocal for UK citizens resident in EU countries on 23rd June".

In negotiation - try and find things that are positive and create a agreement up front. Build a first bridge....

If this doesn't fly, it will highlight exactly which countries in Europe are the blockers on this. Let them own the "no" position.
  • Options
    On the Remainer BBC:

Brexit vote: Single market benefit 'largely imaginary'
    The trade benefits of belonging to the European Union have been "largely imaginary", according to the social policy think-tank Civitas.

Its analysis argues that exports from non-EU countries to the single market have grown faster than the UK's, since its creation in 1993.

That lends weight to the argument that no EU deal is better than a bad deal, the author said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39356664
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Good morning all.

Few possess the humility to admit mistakes. It's not really the done thing on the Internet.

I was never fanatically Leave, nor am I fanatically Remain now. It's a complex, difficult question, about which reasonable people should be able to disagree. That's dependent, at least in part, on your personal time horizon. Short term, I see nothing but trouble, though of the 'modest recession' flavour, rather than the End of Days.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Morning all.

"And the Tories lied to you". Nice non-sequiter there. And which Tories? Cameron and Osborne? You will have a tough task convincing voters that Theresa May lied to them about Brexit. The general view I hear is that she was given a hospital pass but has done her best to implement the will of the voters.
    Whether it's a non sequitur or not - i think that is what the lib Dems will say.

As to which Tories lied: Dave, George, Boris, Gove... You can take your pick really - I'd say they all did.

But you're right that TM isn't implicated in even nearly the same way.
  • Options

Why would I want my country and its population to be impoverished? I have a family, friends and a business here, as well as deep affection for the the UK and its citizens, I am not sure why you'd think I would want all of them to suffer just to be proved right on an internet message board.

On what basis do you THINK your family and friends will be impoverished?

There is no evidence to suggest that is the case, just hyperbole about apocalypse and poverty.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

snip

A one-off adjustment in the exchange rate won't have changed the fundamentals re. Stagflation. Particularly as I suspect that, after A50 is done, the £ will head back slowly towards $1.4.

I was with some very gloomy fund managers (Ruffer and Newton) the other week, both predicting a very poor medium term outlook. I said to the second guy that it was interesting he agreed with the first when markets were surging upwards, and he told me that they didn't agree at all; Ruffer expects an inflationary surge, bad for shares, whilst Newton expect renewed deflationary pressure, also bad for shares. DYOR etc.
  • Options
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Barnier has said that an agreement on the status of EU/UK citizens is his first objective from negotiations. Just a shame he didn't take the deal that was offered 6 months ago and release a lot of EU citizens from unnecessary worry
    I don't think Barnier can be blamed for that - the word from on high (Merkel) was 'no pre-negotiation'.....
  • Options

There is no evidence to suggest that is the case, just hyperbole about apocalypse and poverty.

Got it - you did not understand the point I was making.

• Options
    Off topic
    The 'On This Day' feature on Facebook has just reminded me that I was on my way to a PB drinks do in 2009.

Has a meet up been arranged for next week, I saw it being mentioned a few days ago?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Well quite. - Let’s hope that common sense prevails and an early settlement is achieved.
  • Options
    I would send out a clear message:

If you are here legally you are very welcome to stay.

Let's see if other EU countries return the compliment, either way our stance should be unequivocal. But let's be honest and realistic - there is not a cat in hell's chance that Spain and France are going to deport wealthy ex pats.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Morning all.

If Brexit does turn out to be a really bad idea, think economic hardship, then the idea of 'circumventing the result of the referendum' might become rather popular.
    The advisory referendum result was after all very close and many thought we would remain in the single market.
    Well, that's where we differ. I believe in the people's absolute right to get it wrong. Anything else isn't 'democracy'.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Morning all.

Whether it's a non sequitur or not - i think that is what the lib Dems will say.

As to which Tories lied: Dave, George, Boris, Gove... You can take your pick really - I'd say they all did.

But you're right that TM isn't implicated in even nearly the same way.

Not sure "I didn't lie, but the rest of my cabinet did" will play brilliantly.

• Options

On the Remainer BBC:

Brexit vote: Single market benefit 'largely imaginary'
    The trade benefits of belonging to the European Union have been "largely imaginary", according to the social policy think-tank Civitas.

Its analysis argues that exports from non-EU countries to the single market have grown faster than the UK's, since its creation in 1993.

That lends weight to the argument that no EU deal is better than a bad deal, the author said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39356664

Lol, government bullying paying off already? The interview with the BBC spokesperson on the R4 media show yesterday was an interesting listen.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Open a negotiation with by giving something up? Poor plan.

A better opening would be "All EU citizens resident on 23rd June last year have the right to remain in the UK indefinitely - provided that it is reciprocal for UK citizens resident in EU countries on 23rd June".

In negotiation - try and find things that are positive and create a agreement up front. Build a first bridge....

If this doesn't fly, it will highlight exactly which countries in Europe are the blockers on this. Let them own the "no" position.
    I do a lot of negotiations in my job. It is surprising how effective and constructive unilateral concessions and offers can be. It changes the tone and moves things forward encouraging the other party to respond in kind. I think we should do this here.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good morning, everyone.

Breaking: seven arrests made relating to attack yesterday:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39363297
  • Options

there is not a cat in hell's chance that Spain and France are going to deport wealthy ex pats.

Not even one? I have a suggestion.......
  • Options
    Re walking off a cliff edge and blaming it on the nasty Europeans is not going to be sustainable.

It depends on the circumstances. If the EU are seen to be obstructive and intransigent they will be blamed, if Theresa May walks out and it is perceived that it is an act of pique she will get the blame.

However, I remain as convinced as ever that a fair deal will be concluded, not satisfying the hard Brexiteers but also not satisfying the soft Brexit lobby, but likely to satisfy approx 70% of the public.

Re Brexit I did vote remain but as an eurosceptic I was ready to accept the vote and back leave. I am not, and never have been, a hard right conservative and have no time for UKIP.

I expect our Prime Minister to negotiate a fair deal for the Country and back her completely. She has her critics but at this time I cannot imagine anyone better or more capable to take on this most difficult of tasks, indeed no recent Prime Minister has faced a work load as complex as Theresa May. She will retain my full support
  • Options

That's because I'm a stupid Leaver no doubt.

There will eventually come a time, and only you can decide when that is, that you accept we voted for Brexit. Hard, soft, good, bad, its happening, suck it up.
  • Options
    'Car began journey in Birmingham'

BBC Security Correspondent, Frank Gardner, said the indications were that the car used in the attack began it's journey in Birmingham.

"There is no such thing as a 'lone wolf' attack. It may just be one person carrying it out but they would have been in contact with other people," he said.

He said the message from Scotland Yard was that the attacker was not "an unknown person".
  • Options

there is not a cat in hell's chance that Spain and France are going to deport wealthy ex pats.

Not even one? I have a suggestion.......
    What is it?
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Morning all.

Well, that's where we differ. I believe in the people's absolute right to get it wrong. Anything else isn't 'democracy'.

In a democracy it's also permissible to rectify perceived mistakes. Voters are allowed to change their minds. In fact, they have been known to.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

chestnut said:

snip

A one-off adjustment in the exchange rate won't have changed the fundamentals re. Stagflation. Particularly as I suspect that, after A50 is done, the £ will head back slowly towards $1.4.

I was with some very gloomy fund managers (Ruffer and Newton) the other week, both predicting a very poor medium term outlook. I said to the second guy that it was interesting he agreed with the first when markets were surging upwards, and he told me that they didn't agree at all; Ruffer expects an inflationary surge, bad for shares, whilst Newton expect renewed deflationary pressure, also bad for shares. DYOR etc.
    Ruffer is not mainstream! He is the Doomeister - had a very good GFC and has built his career on being right once - but in a really big way - in the last 15 years.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

I've moved to leave, albeit somewhat reluctantly. I don't see myself as a 'leaver' or a 'remainer' in the way they're used on here: the situation is much more nuanced than the two hard extremes. Which means I get it in the neck from both sides. :)
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited March 2017

The best template we have for the public's future reaction is the Iraq war. At the beginning there was marginal support as there is here. As it began to unwind the reputation of those supporters (some reluctant) were trashed no matter how late to the party they arrived and for self preservation many jumped ship anyway.

I'm sure the same will apply here. Whether reasonable or not unless it becomes an unmitigated success May's government will pay the same price Blair and Blairism paid. March 29th will go down in infamy and she and her government will be the only ones carrying the baby. As so often the real villains like Farage and UKIP and the Tory Ultras will long be forgotten.
  • Options

That's because I'm a stupid Leaver no doubt.

There will eventually come a time, and only you can decide when that is, that you accept we voted for Brexit. Hard, soft, good, bad, its happening, suck it up.

Yes, you are clearly stupid.

This discussion has been closed.