Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited March 2017 in General

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2017
    PB's Don brind on bbc now...Saw man dressed in all black.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Urquhart, indeed, glad Mr. Brind appears not to have being injured himself.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    BREAKING: Two people have been shot at the entrance of parliament
    Car rammed into gates outside parliament
    Man reportedly wielding knife
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

Though what's he doing talking to the BBC first rather than pbc?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Proceedings suspended in HoC.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

He's ex BBC
  • Options
    Looks like a couple of incidents, though without the timeline or a good knowledge of the location, difficult to know if it's a coordinated multilocation attack or a lone nutter.
  • Options
    Five Live: car mounted pavement on Westminster Bridge.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Laura Kuenssberg

@bbclaurak

Richard tice political campaigner tells me he can see ten bodies on westminster bridge - I can't confirm that from where I am
    2:57 PM - 22 Mar 2017
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

Cookie said:

He's ex BBC
    Sorry, I was being tongue-in-cheek.
  • Options
    David Lidington: police officer stabbed and alleged assailant shot by armed police.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Mark Urban‏Verified account @MarkUrban01 2m2 minutes ago

More
    Westminster: EARLY reports suggest: car hits pedestrians on bridge; crashes into Parliament railings; driver gets out attacks PC, then shot
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Looks like a couple of incidents, though without the timeline or a good knowledge of the location, difficult to know if it's a coordinated multilocation attack or a lone nutter.

From the pictures out so far the car is at least 200 yards and a 90 degree turn from the gates to Parliament.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Mark Urban‏Verified account @MarkUrban01 2m2 minutes ago

More
    Westminster: EARLY reports suggest: car hits pedestrians on bridge; crashes into Parliament railings; driver gets out attacks PC, then shot

That looks plausible.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    The black Hyundai was taxed in Chelmsford, and emits 123 grams/kilometre of CO2.
  • Options

From the pictures out so far the car is at least 200 yards and a 90 degree turn from the gates to Parliament.
    Yes. I can see it clearly from my office window (100 yards away). Parliament sqaure is taped off. Helicopter on the lawn. Body by the railings is covered in a silver sheet, being bagged up.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    edited March 2017
    Sky News clearly had some aerial footage of people down on the bridge. Sounds like that location the bigger part of this incident.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Andrew Neil
    Unconfirmed reports that up to 12 injured on Westminster Bridge.

Richard Tice eye witness saying 8-10 bodies on Westminster Bridge. Mown down by vehicle driving down pavement.
  • Options
    From the Sky pics it looked like there was a body covered up under a bus.
  • Options
    Sky reporting "Asian man in his 40s"
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Hard not to describe this as anything other than a terrorist incident.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

From the Sky pics it looked like there was a body covered up under a bus.

Hopefully that was the attacker rather than a victim.
  • Options
    Sky copter has just shown 4 or 5 casualties being worked on by emergency services on the bridge. Looks grim, always concerning when they have to spend so long at the scene.
  • Options
    Mr. JS, not sure what can be seen (not looking myself) but the policeman reportedly had a hi-visibility jacket, the attacker was in black.
  • Options
    BBC showing injured from the start of the south side of the bridge and along the length of the pavement with the vehicle finishing in the railings of Westminster Palace
  • Options
    OK. The police car blocking my view has moved. In front of the car is a person on the ground surrounded by medics. Looks very serious. Someone squashed against the railing by attacker?
  • Options
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Indeed
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Don't worry, they'll find a way.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Policeman might be dead.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    tlg86 said:

Don't worry, they'll find a way.
    Just been described as such on BBC.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

... Someone squashed against the railing by attacker?

Unfortunately that is very much what it looks like in the photo.
  • Options
    Jamie Ross‏Verified account @JamieRoss7 4m4 minutes ago
    More
    Deputy presiding officer, Linda Fabiani, updates the Holyrood chamber on reports of incident at Westminster. But the session keeps going.

Jamie Ross‏Verified account @JamieRoss7 8m8 minutes ago
    More
    I'm not sure how much longer this Holyrood debate can keep going. No mention of events in Westminster so far. It's starting to look bad.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003
    Not sure if I should be saying this: but it seems a slightly odd time for the attack. If you wanted maximum media exposure, surely the middle of PMQs would be best?

Needless to say: hope everyone's okay.
  • Options
    Really grim looking footage from the bridge.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    This looks grim indeed :(
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, thought you were going to mention it being the day after McGuinness died.
  • Options

Not sure if I should be saying this: but it seems a slightly odd time for the attack. If you wanted maximum media exposure, surely the middle of PMQs would be best?

I think this is going to get pretty much all the media coverage possible. And people who do this sort of thing are never thinking rationally.
  • Options
    Looks like an attempt to copy the Nice attack.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

I think they'll get maximum media exposure regardless. Thoughts with everyone there; not much sense in speculating too much at this stage.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

But with a 4 x 4
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003

I think this is going to get pretty much all the media coverage possible. And people who do this sort of thing are never thinking rationally.
    Yeah, but if it was the middle of PMQs you might get the PM being warned and even hustled out on camera.

'Rationally' hardly sums it up IMO, but I fear you're right.

Mr Dancer: I did wonder about that as well. Seems unlikely.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Only insofar as a vehicle is being used as a weapon.

It is better not to speculate too much until a clearer picture emerges.

Police have now confirmed they are treating it as a terrorist attack.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Don't twitter search it unless you've got a strong stomach, but Univision Noticias‏ has what looks like a picture of a schoolgirl? embracing her father? in what looks like one last dieing embrace.
    Black & white adidas trainers on the pavement.
    A powerful image, I'll refrain from retweeting it though.
  • Options
    Two casualties now being moved away from the railing. Helicopter spinning up.
  • Options
    oooft !

Jamie Ross‏Verified account @JamieRoss7 3m3 minutes ago

Tory MSP Murdo Fraser requests that the presiding officer suspends the session. Fabiani says "business as usual" will continue.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Pulpstar said:

Don't twitter search it unless you've got a strong stomach, but Univision Noticias‏ has what looks like a picture of a schoolgirl? embracing her father? in what looks like one last dieing embrace.
    Black & white adidas trainers on the pavement.
    A powerful image, I'll refrain from retweeting it though.

Blimey, as someone who walks across Waterloo Bridge everyday, those images are pretty gut-wrenching
  • Options
    Helicopter has gone.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Truly sickening! That's all I can say now...
  • Options
    Notice that despite being notified of the attack in London the Scots Parliament are carrying on their debate. Surely they should have suspended their debate out of respect
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

oooft !

Tory MSP Murdo Fraser requests that the presiding officer suspends the session. Fabiani says "business as usual" will continue.

I would have thought that confirmation of a terrorist incident in Westminster would be enough for a security clampdown on all similar institutions in the UK.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

oooft !

They ought to suspend the session IMO.
  • Options
    Is this the first terror attack on/at Parliament since the INLA took out Airey Neave?
  • Options

Is this the first terror attack on/at Parliament since the INLA took out Airey Neave?

And almost in the same place
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    edited March 2017

TGOHF said:

oooft !

I would have thought that confirmation of a terrorist incident in Westminster would be enough for a security clampdown on all similar institutions in the UK.
    Sounds like a lone nutter to me. We shouldn't let a lone nutter interfere with parliamentary business. I think MPs should carry on with their debate instead of standing around. They are not in any danger. It is important not to over react to attempts to terrorise. Keep calm and carry on.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

TGOHF said:

oooft !

Sounds like a lone nutter to me. We shouldn't let a lone nutter interfere with parliamentary business. I think MPs should carry on with their debate instead of standing around. They are not in any danger.
    Are you real - people are injured and possible some fatalities - the PM has been evacuated

This is very serious
  • Options
    Mr. Barnesian, maybe.

Several attacks (the Hebdo set and the Bataclan ones) involved multiple stages/locations. This may well be over, but it might not be.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Barnesian said:

TGOHF said:

oooft !

Sounds like a lone nutter to me. We shouldn't let a lone nutter interfere with parliamentary business. I think MPs should carry on with their debate instead of standing around. They are not in any danger. It is important not to over react to attempts to terrorise. Keep calm and carry on.
    How do you know they are not in any danger?
  • Options
    So it would seem that there was not an explosion or a firearms attack on Parliament but a lone person, no doubt with mental health issues armed with a car and a knife. Innocent lives destroyed and many more ruined because of this pox in our society.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

TGOHF said:

oooft !

I think the Holyrood debate should carry on, but of course Westminster should be suspended. It is probably a lone nutter, but best to not take any chances.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I don't think Parliamentary debate can continue in Westminster for the moment due to immediate security concerns. However there is no reason to halt Holyrood proceedings.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336

Notice that despite being notified of the attack in London the Scots Parliament are carrying on their debate. Surely they should have suspended their debate out of respect

Don't think so. We should all continue as normal as far as possible, or it gives terrorists too much effect. (Some restraint in political argy-bargy on all sides would be appropriate though.)
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Barnesian said:

TGOHF said:

oooft !

Yes, Barnesian. This is the new normal, we'd better get used to it and soldier on.
  • Options
    Mr. Palmer, a short suspension to enable MSPs to check the situation and whether people they know are alright might be in order.
  • Options

Don't think so. We should all continue as normal as far as possible, or it gives terrorists too much effect. (Some restraint in political argy-bargy on all sides would be appropriate though.)
    I totally agree with your bracketed comment
  • Options
    One year anniversary of the Brussels attacks..
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    IRA mortared Downing St in 1991, not Parliament but too bloody close for comfort.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    This sounds worrying

From the Telegraph live blog

Eyewitness account from Telegraph's Political Editor, Gordon Rayner
    From the Telegraph's office on an upper floor of Parliament near Big Ben, the first warning we had of what was about to happen was a bang, followed by a scream, coming from the direction of Westminster Underground station.

At first we assumed there had been a car accident, perhaps with someone run over, and I and my colleagues looked out of the window to see people running away from the location of the noise.

Seconds later, around a dozen people appeared to rush a gate to New Palace Yard, opposite Parliament Square. It was unclear whether the police had opened the gates to let people in for protection, or the gates were forced open by the weight of people.

Emergency services outside the Houses of Parliament
    Emergency services outside the Houses of Parliament
    The people who had come in through the gates quickly appeared to mix with others running away from the pedestrian entrance next to it, and moments later a man with a pistol - assumed to be a police officer - shot a man three times in the chest as he ran towards him, around 25 yards from the gate where the people had entered. He fell backwards onto the cobbles.

Confusion followed; inside Parliament police officers moved through corridors telling journalists and staff to stay inside their rooms. MPs in the Commons chamber were told Parliament was suspended.

Outside, shouting and temporary chaos as police tried to work out what was going on.

Within a minute police were giving emergency CPR to two people on the ground in New Palace Yard. The location is just yards away from the car park ramp where the Conservative MP Airey Neave was killed by an IRA car bomb in 1979.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Barnesian said:

TGOHF said:

oooft !

Hmm, really don’t think you are in any position to make that call, safely sat in your armchair. The security forces will be far better informed and wil do what’s deemed safest.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    TGOHF said:

One year anniversary of the Brussels attacks..

Wow. I can't believe it is that long. It really does seem like it was only a few months ago.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

TGOHF said:

oooft !

Sounds like a lone nutter to me. We shouldn't let a lone nutter interfere with parliamentary business. I think MPs should carry on with their debate instead of standing around. They are not in any danger.
    Are you real - people are injured and possible some fatalities - the PM has been evacuated

This is very serious
    It's not serious enough to interfere with Parliament. I don't want to be unsensitive but people are killed and injured every day all over the place. To over react is to help would be terrorists succeed in terrorising.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    I am in London Bridge, a way a way from the incident, but the noise of helicopters overhead is deafening.

Our security services and police are just amazing. It's trite to say it, but we do take them for granted. Only at times like these do we realise just how heroic they are. Thoughts with them and especially to all those caught up in the violence. It's just horrific.

A plague on anyone who tries to attack this country and its democracy. You will never, ever defeat us. Never.
  • Options
    Scottish parliament suspending their debate.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    Barnesian said:

TGOHF said:

oooft !

Just suppose that wasn't the case - can you imagine how it would play out if they carried on as normal and further attacks took place? Surely they have to be 100% sure before they can carry on?

Terrible news, what can I say that others have not? Full support and admiration for the police and security forces handling this.

• Options

Barnesian said:

TGOHF said:

oooft !

Do you think they would be in greater danger debating than standing around in central lobby?
  • Options

Barnesian said:

TGOHF said:

oooft !

This is very serious
    Yes it is very serious for the poor sods who were just going about their everyday business and the families of those people. However, in the great scheme of things it is not very serious at all, nothing will change because of this random act of violence.

That said I hope the perpetrator will burn in hell for a jolly long time, he probably thinks he is off to his 72 virgins.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

TGOHF said:

oooft !

This is very serious
    It's not serious enough to interfere with Parliament. I don't want to be unsensitive but people are killed and injured every day all over the place. To over react is to help would be terrorists succeed in terrorising.
    It was a direct attack on Parliament. It is not an over-reaction to suspend the sittings until given the all clear from the security services.
  • Options
    Holyrood suspended.

• Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

I am in London Bridge, a way a way from the incident, but the noise of helicopters overhead is deafening.

Our security services and police are just amazing. It's trite to say it, but we do take them for granted. Only at times like these do we realise just how heroic they are. Thoughts with them and especially to all those caught up in the violence. It's just horrific.

A plague on anyone who tries to attack this country and its democracy. You will never, ever defeat us. Never.

Well said.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

TGOHF said:

oooft !

This is very serious
    I think you will be in a minority with those comments
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Holyrood suspended
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,335
    Yokel is the man we're all waiting for.

Lone attacks (and I very much hope it is) are very hard to guard against. Westminster terrorist incidents are rehearsed and practiced regularly, and we can see this one was resolved and managed very quickly. All credit to the security services for that.

Unfortunately, there may be some fatalities and life-changing injuries for the victims.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306

Well said.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Scottish parliament suspending their debate.

Good on them
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

TGOHF said:

oooft !

Do you think they would be in greater danger debating than standing around in central lobby?
    I would like my elected representatives to have 100% focus on the subject under debate. If only for practical such reasons it's right that parliament is adjourned.
  • Options

Yes, it looks like a superb response from the security forces- both the later surge, and by the coppers in the initial attack.
  • Options
    @tobyhelm

People stranded on London eye which I see has stopped.
    3:42 PM - 22 Mar 2017

They would have seen the whole of the carnage on the bridge. Extremely distressing I imagine.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

Yokel is the man we're all waiting for.

Lone attacks (and I very much hope it is) are very hard to guard against. Westminster terrorist incidents are rehearsed and practiced regularly, and we can see this one was resolved and managed very quickly. All credit to the security services for that.

Unfortunately, there may be some fatalities and life-changing injuries for the victims.

From what I've seen on the guardian liveblog it appears there are two suspects. So not a lone nutter but potentially a small cell operation (on the scale of Charlie Hebdo rather than the Bataclan attacks). Of course it's impossible to know at this point.

And yes, it appears that quick reactions by security services have perhaps mitigated the situation significantly.
  • Options
    Sad to think this will probably result in Parliament being turned into even more of a fortress than it is already.
  • Options

Yes, it looks like a superb response from the security forces- both the later surge, and by the coppers in the initial attack.
    I can vouch for that. I have a grandstand view and they were effective within moments.
    Keep calm and carry on. There are bodies outside (or at least were) but the office is carrying on.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Witness: body "face down in the water"....
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Sky copter has just shown 4 or 5 casualties being worked on by emergency services on the bridge. Looks grim, always concerning when they have to spend so long at the scene.

Reuters have tweeted pix of serious casualties mown down. Sky witness says seen body face down in water.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

TGOHF said:

oooft !

I would like my elected representatives to have 100% focus on the subject under debate. If only for practical such reasons it's right that parliament is adjourned.
    Fair enough. That's a good point. I suspect they would all be on their smartphones following the news rather than attending to the debate.

I react the way I do because I see the purpose of terrorism is to terrorise and I think the way to neutralise that is act calmly and not be terrorised. Indeed that is the advice given by the police. I'm not saying that one shouldn't be alert, or that the security forces shouldn't do their best to prevent or contain terrorist attacks.
  • Options
    It isn't by buckling in fear following a terrorist attack that we might be defeated. It's by heightened tension leading to free speech being gradually eroded, ever greater powers handed to police, and a blind eye being turned to crimes because of cultural sensitivities.

Just recall the reactions to the Danish cartoons. No paper publishing them, a Channel 4 debate in which a phone vote wanted them shown but they weren't, and a police escort for men [some dressed as suicide bombers] carrying placards calling for death to the West and the decapitation of those who insult Islam.

Mr. Observer, I hope you're right. But it remains to be seen. The threat we face is more insidious than a foe in uniform.
  • Options

Their response seem to have been very impressively rapid.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306

Barnesian said:

TGOHF said:

oooft !

This is very serious
    Yes it is very serious for the poor sods who were just going about their everyday business and the families of those people. However, in the great scheme of things it is not very serious at all, nothing will change because of this random act of violence.

That said I hope the perpetrator will burn in hell for a jolly long time, he probably thinks he is off to his 72 virgins.
    72 women who don't know what they are doing? It would serve him right.
  • Options
    Bloke on Sky says there was a body face down in the water under the bridge, and Sky unfortunately showed a picture of a casualty lying at the bottom of some steps with a lot of blood and legs at unnatural angles. Very disturbing.
This discussion has been closed.