Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Westminster attacks: It’ll be some time before we get the

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited March 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Westminster attacks: It’ll be some time before we get the full picture

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    First
  • Options
    Let's try and avoid cheap political points on this one....
  • Options
    Hope these are the only two fatalities.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    Some unfortunate similarities to the attack on the Canadian Parliament in 2014 where a soldier was killed and several injured
  • Options

Let's try and avoid cheap political points on this one....

And defamatory comments too.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Eagles, indeed. Sadly, the description of injuries on the bridge as 'catastrophic' does suggest there might be more.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, indeed. Sadly, the description of injuries on the bridge as 'catastrophic' does suggest there might be more.

I know a few people who work in Parliament, they said it would be amazing if it was only two fatalities.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    "Some time"?

Are we talking Twitter time (2mins = an age) or normal time?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    HYUFD said:

Some unfortunate similarities to the attack on the Canadian Parliament in 2014 where a soldier was killed and several injured

I was just thinking about that...I don't remember if who the attacker was, motive etc was widely reported afterward.
  • Options
    Anorak said:
    Can't they have a mishap with the safety on their weapons?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, alas.

The emergency services deserve enormous credit for the swiftness of their response. That may very well make a difference.
  • Options

Anorak said:
    I hope not, he's a potential source of valuable intelligence.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

Anorak said:
    No. Keep the fucker from his virgins.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927

Anorak said:
    Al Blackman has done about 3 years for that
  • Options

Anorak said:
    In tribute to Martin McGuiness perhaps in the kneecap area?
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, any perpetrator might have useful intelligence.

We need a return to common law, away from cultural sensitivities and Sharia nonsense. That also means everyone is treated equally under the law. Even reprehensible men have certain rights, much as it might stick in the craw. That is, ultimately, the difference between civilisation and barbarity.

[That said, if any perpetrator were to develop kidney stones, I would not necessarily drown in tears].
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    sheesh

three hours stuck in the London Eye

poor sods
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Anorak said:
    Quite. You seem to have a great deal more sense than this flower:
    https://twitter.com/EmmaWasp1/status/844605332445958144
    I don't look at twitter too much these days, other than accounts of fairly mainstream journos. That sort of tweet reminds me why.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

sheesh

poor sods

On a £/min basis they got a bargain...I bet there are a few dying for a piss though.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995

HYUFD said:

I was just thinking about that...I don't remember if who the attacker was, motive etc was widely reported afterward.
    A Canadian Libyan Muslim convert apparently
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_shootings_at_Parliament_Hill,_Ottawa
  • Options
    Mr. Anorak, there's lots of wonderful little nuggets of information and insight on Twitter. And lots of batshit insane maniacs.
  • Options

sheesh

poor sods

On a £/min basis they got a bargain...I bet there are a few dying for a piss though.
    you wouldnt want to be a middle aged man who had had a couple of pints at lunchtime
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

sheesh

poor sods

Does seem unnecessary. Fully understand that they would want to keep it closed - but surely a phased evacuation could have been facilitated.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

sheesh

poor sods

Ouch.

On 21/7 I was there with Mum. I'd noticed that they'd stoped loading new passengers on and then saw the area flooded with armed police and dogs. Never been so fearful as when they let us off and all phone signals were down...
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Phew, so glad to see the new thread did not involve betting odds…
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited March 2017
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:
    Quite. You seem to have a great deal more sense than this flower:
    https://twitter.com/EmmaWasp1/status/844605332445958144
    I don't look at twitter too much these days, other than accounts of fairly mainstream journos. That sort of tweet reminds me why.
    I'm a true Englishman, I believe in keeping calm and keep buggering on.

As a true Englishman, I also believe in the rule of law.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    4 dead inc attacker

20 injured
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited March 2017
    Four dead now, including the attacker.

Twenty injured.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Now 4 deaths.
  • Options
    The attacker is dead.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

The attacker is dead.

Shame.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited March 2017
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited March 2017
    Four now dead, although one of those was the attacker.

At least 20 people injured.

Thought to be one attacker.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    Nobody has claimed this one yet it seems, when even lone wolf ones it seems groups are usually keen.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, they can take a few hours to claim responsibility. Wouldn't be surprised if it takes a while yet, or even happens tomorrow.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nobody has claimed this one yet it seems, when even lone wolf ones it seems groups are usually keen.

Even if they have, I am quite happy for that to be kept from the public for now. We don't have to buy into their media plans.
  • Options
    the hint from the plod was they are currently knocking doors down.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Mr. kle4, they can take a few hours to claim responsibility. Wouldn't be surprised if it takes a while yet, or even happens tomorrow.

Indeed, rolling news and Twitter does not indicate that everything must happen, and everyone must respond within minutes of an incident, or it's "strange".
  • Options

the hint from the plod was they are currently knocking doors down.

I doubt they're in "Avon lady" mode......
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Horrible. Just horrible.

Catastrophic injuries.

Sad day for London.

Not just London.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    SeanT said:

Horrible. Just horrible.

Catastrophic injuries.

Sad day for London.

Indeed it is Sean. Just wonder what if anything we can do to prevent such attacks.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Horrible. Just horrible.

Catastrophic injuries.

Sad day for London.

Sad day for freedom loving people everywhere....
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Especially when it is a lone wolf, as the "responsible" groups need to wait till the media tell them who the attacker was "inspired" by.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

SeanT said:

Horrible. Just horrible.

Catastrophic injuries.

Sad day for London.

Indeed it is Sean. Just wonder what if anything we can do to prevent such attacks.
    You can only do so much in a free society.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

SeanT said:

Horrible. Just horrible.

Catastrophic injuries.

Sad day for London.

There is nothing. We cannot identify everyone who might be capable of such things. We cannot prevent someone using their own vehicle as a weapon. That is what makes it scary.

It is far easier to deal with a conspiracy than it is with an individual.
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    murali_s said:

SeanT said:

Horrible. Just horrible.

Catastrophic injuries.

Sad day for London.

The fact that the enemy is having to resort to this kind of attack - car vs pedestrian, about the softest target possible - tells us the security services are winning. The only thing that can prevent these attacks long term is a cultural change that places this kind of suicide-bombing-by-car as beyond the pale evil, not an entry ticket to paradise.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

murali_s said:

SeanT said:

Horrible. Just horrible.

Catastrophic injuries.

Sad day for London.

There is nothing. We cannot identify everyone who might be capable of such things. We cannot prevent someone using their own vehicle as a weapon. That is what makes it scary.

It is far easier to deal with a conspiracy than it is with an individual.
    Yes, impossible to defend. Which, as you say, makes it worse.
    It's just been a surprise that it too so long. Let's just hope it doesn't embolden more inadequates to think they can have a go.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    murali_s said:

SeanT said:

Horrible. Just horrible.

Catastrophic injuries.

Sad day for London.

IRA terrorism subsided, and I hope ISIS will too soon. What it will be replaced with remains to be seen. I look forward to the day we are on a "Low" threat level.
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

murali_s said:

SeanT said:

Horrible. Just horrible.

Catastrophic injuries.

Sad day for London.

The fact that the enemy is having to resort to this kind of attack - car vs pedestrian, about the softest target possible - tells us the security services are winning. The only thing that can prevent these attacks long term is a cultural change that places this kind of suicide-bombing-by-car as beyond the pale evil, not an entry ticket to paradise.
    That sort of change can only come from within the communities where such thinking currently exists. It is not something that can be imposed. The solution rests with moderates within those communities to bring about a reformation of sorts.

I don't see it happening soon - if at all.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334

kle4 said:

Even if they have, I am quite happy for that to be kept from the public for now. We don't have to buy into their media plans.
    Hear hear.

In reply to earlier points:

- The Parliamentary estate is huge, rambling and full of obscure rooms, cupboards, etc. - I don't think I ever saw it all in 13 years. So it's appropriate for the police to want to do a thorough search, and it would be reasonable to suspend proceedings this week while that's carried out, if there is any reason to think that someone might have got in. If they're confident that they didn't, apart from the dead man, then IMO business should resume.

- It ought not to have been possible for the attacker to enter the main hall with a knife and a review of security is needed if that happened. Essentially you need to go through airport-style security unless you actually work there yourself.

I concur with everything that's been said about the swift reactions and about Ellwood's actions - he should be rightly proud of himself and I hope he isn't haunted by the experience. There must be individual officers whose names we don't know who also deserve special praise when the dust has settled. It's very easy for people in apparently routine security jobs to be slow to react, and it's wonderful when they rise to the occasion.
  • Options
    Mr. D, I fear that's overly optimistic.

Irish terrorism had a discernible political objective that could be, if not achieved wholly, sought partially through peaceful means. Islamic terrorism seems to have no comparable objective beyond, ultimately, establishing a caliphate and imposing Sharia generally.

Incidentally, I think it's fair enough neither Khan nor May have commented yet, as the situation appears to be ongoing.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Animal_pb said:

murali_s said:

SeanT said:

Horrible. Just horrible.

Catastrophic injuries.

Sad day for London.

That sort of change can only come from within the communities where such thinking currently exists. It is not something that can be imposed. The solution rests with moderates within those communities to bring about a reformation of sorts.

Don't stop there, Mr. Simon, please follow the logic all the way.
  • Options

Mr. D, I fear that's overly optimistic.

Irish terrorism had a discernible political objective that could be, if not achieved wholly, sought partially through peaceful means. Islamic terrorism seems to have no comparable objective beyond, ultimately, establishing a caliphate and imposing Sharia generally.

Incidentally, I think it's fair enough neither Khan nor May have commented yet, as the situation appears to be ongoing.

Khan has issued a statement - expressing sorrow for those affecting and praising the efforts of the security and emergency services.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Bleak times indeed.
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

murali_s said:

SeanT said:

Horrible. Just horrible.

Catastrophic injuries.

Sad day for London.

I am not sure what you want me to say.
  • Options
    Mr. Simon, ah, I'd missed that.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Animal_pb said:

murali_s said:

SeanT said:

Horrible. Just horrible.

Catastrophic injuries.

Sad day for London.

Plus self driving cars. These attacks are actually quite a compelling argument for them.
    They could also be quite an effective bomb delivery system for fellas who don't fancy meeting the virgins just yet.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    That Tory mp who performed cpr is an absolute legend

Hat off to the guy
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

murali_s said:

SeanT said:

Horrible. Just horrible.

Catastrophic injuries.

Sad day for London.

I travel through the Asian quarter in birmingham to and from work every day.

ir's quite noticeable that the ladies whose faces you see are mostly over fifty, all the younger ones screen their faces and wear black. This is a community which is de-integrating and sees itself as a group apart.how the hell this is going to change this is beyond me.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Wow, absolutely horrible scenes from London. Hopefully they got some information out of the savage before he died.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
  • Options

kle4 said:

Hear hear.

In reply to earlier points:

- The Parliamentary estate is huge, rambling and full of obscure rooms, cupboards, etc. - I don't think I ever saw it all in 13 years. So it's appropriate for the police to want to do a thorough search, and it would be reasonable to suspend proceedings this week while that's carried out, if there is any reason to think that someone might have got in. If they're confident that they didn't, apart from the dead man, then IMO business should resume.

- It ought not to have been possible for the attacker to enter the main hall with a knife and a review of security is needed if that happened. Essentially you need to go through airport-style security unless you actually work there yourself.

I concur with everything that's been said about the swift reactions and about Ellwood's actions - he should be rightly proud of himself and I hope he isn't haunted by the experience. There must be individual officers whose names we don't know who also deserve special praise when the dust has settled. It's very easy for people in apparently routine security jobs to be slow to react, and it's wonderful when they rise to the occasion.
    Much is made of the security measures to get in, but after the incident it was reported (perhaps wrongly) that bystanders were bundled inside for safety. If this is true then it seems unlikely they were frisked first. If.
  • Options
    Mr. T, until they can be hacked into. Then multiple vehicles could be driven into a crowd at once.
  • Options
    How the hell does that come out so quiclyk, if it is actually true?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,059
    edited March 2017
    SeanT said:

Animal_pb said:

murali_s said:

SeanT said:

Horrible. Just horrible.

Catastrophic injuries.

Sad day for London.

Plus self driving cars. These attacks are actually quite a compelling argument for them.
    Or even just assisted driving technology that can override a malicious driver. The Berlin attack would have been worse if the truck didn't have automatic braking
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Is that true?

• Options

Does seem incredible, though its been known to happen. I guess random person sees footage and thinks they recognise the attacker, and things run from there. If they have a previous record its probably fairly quick to check up on.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653

There are several reports - afaik it's based on the purported similarity between the body on the street and previous photos of Mr Brooks.
  • Options

There were photos circulating of the attacker being treated. He was probably recognised.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Several sources on Twitter suggesting identity of terrorist.

A known threat if correct.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Euro News
    #WestminsterAttack: Attacker "zigzagged" through street https://t.co/IDjeuEXsB9 https://t.co/mm97TT5VZW

Video
  • Options
    I guess if the attacker had been using their own vehicle then working out his identity could be quite straightforward. Time will tell.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Does seem incredible, though its been known to happen. I guess random person sees footage and thinks they recognise the attacker, and things run from there. If they have a previous record its probably fairly quick to check up on.
    Wasn't that the bloke who heckled John Reid when he was HS?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    @ThreeQuidder

If it is the same guy, he had a 2 year sentence after a trial in Jan 2016.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/islamic-extremists-jailed-serious-deliberate-7142974

• Options

kle4 said:

Wasn't that the bloke who heckled John Reid when he was HS?
    Yep - amongst other things
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Animal_pb said:

murali_s said:

SeanT said:

Horrible. Just horrible.

Catastrophic injuries.

Sad day for London.

ir's quite noticeable that the ladies whose faces you see are mostly over fifty, all the younger ones screen their faces and wear black. This is a community which is de-integrating and sees itself as a group apart.how the hell this is going to change this is beyond me.
    It never will, Mr. Brooke, until the powers that be actually admit there is a problem. All the time we/they pussyfoot around the issue then it will get worse.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    Low tech terror is so easy and virtually impossible to anticipate
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    dr_spyn said:

@ThreeQuidder

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/islamic-extremists-jailed-serious-deliberate-7142974

If true then May has a serious political problem.

Although I suppose it would have been on Gove's watch?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'm sceptical of recognition based on blurred television images, especially as many reports will just be parroting whatever the last report said.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

Animal_pb said:

murali_s said:

SeanT said:

Horrible. Just horrible.

Catastrophic injuries.

Sad day for London.

It won't change because there is no political will to ensure that. Try it, and a good proportion of the political establishment will accuse you of being a racist and a fascist. Moral cowardice does not even begin to describe appeasement.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

@ThreeQuidder

If true then May has a serious political problem.</blockquote

Not sure if I agree with that

• Options

kle4 said:

I'm sceptical of recognition based on blurred television images, especially as many reports will just be parroting whatever the last report said.
    Agreed, such a method will not always identify the correct person, but I imagine that's how these very quick reports begin.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Just got very odd deja vu over certain things. Hmm. Mr. Glenn's post below and a couple of tweets on my Politics list.

.... quite an odd feeling. (I know deja vu always is, but still).

I hope there isn't a worse attack in the next few days.

Edited extra bit: whilst I'm being self-indulgent (I hope you don't mind), I once had deja vu solidly for about 30 minutes. It was bloody weird, and I was rather relieved when it stopped.
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

murali_s said:

SeanT said:

Horrible. Just horrible.

Catastrophic injuries.

Sad day for London.

It never will, Mr. Brooke, until the powers that be actually admit there is a problem. All the time we/they pussyfoot around the issue then it will get worse.
    Absolutely

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,994
    SeanT said:

Animal_pb said:

murali_s said:

SeanT said:

Horrible. Just horrible.

Catastrophic injuries.

Sad day for London.

Until the bad guys manage to hack into the systems and cause all cars to swerve sharply to the right ...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/sep/20/tesla-model-s-chinese-hack-remote-control-brakes
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Seems a bit of a change in MO for Brooksy if it was him. If it is, something has changed,
  • Options
    Trevor Brooks does seem to have quite a high profile.
  • Options
    Why did my post get taken down while all the others "naming" the attacker remain?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377

dr_spyn said:

@ThreeQuidder

If true then May has a serious political problem.

Although I suppose it would have been on Gove's watch?
    You are aware that serving a full sentence in the UK is close to impossible?

He would have been out in 12 months, minus time in prison awaiting trial...
  • Options
    french press stating 2 of the 3 injured schoolkids in a bad way
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I hope it wasn't the person being named in various places, because he should have been under surveillance.
  • Options
    This may explain why we haven't heard from the PM. They know they're in the brown stuff.
  • Options
    It must drive the likes of Sky News and the BBC nuts that posters on twitter can post what they want, like naming the attacker, and they have to be far more circumspect.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418
    tlg86 said:

This may explain why we haven't heard from the PM. They know they're in the brown stuff.

Not good enough really.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I hope it wasn't the person being named in various places, because he should have been under surveillance.

And how do you think that surveillance would have stopped someone getting into their own car and going for a drive? How could it have worked out his intentions on this particular occasion?

Unless someone is under house arrest, they will be allowed a certain amount of freedom of movement around their home city.

How do you propose we see into their minds?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

And how do you think that surveillance would have stopped someone getting into their own car and going for a drive? How could it have worked out his intentions on this particular occasion?

Unless someone is under house arrest, they will be allowed a certain amount of freedom of movement around their home city.

How do you propose we see into their minds?
    He didn't stab the police officers with his car.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Utter rubbish.
This discussion has been closed.