Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New poll finds increasing support for a second referendum with

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited March 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New poll finds increasing support for a second referendum with 66% of REMAIN voters now wanting one

Via @JamesPurefoy a pic from the anti-BREXIT march and a reminder to put your clocks forward tonight pic.twitter.com/FbAkXAIccA

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    First, like Geoff Hurst.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Second like Francois Fillon.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,916
    edited March 2017
    Seems like tim-not-nice-but-dim's latest obsession is Arron Banks' height :smiley:

https://twitter.com/arron_banks/status/845724596733169665
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    Fourth!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    What if people want a re-run after a second referendum? And after the third?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    rcs1000 said:

Oi! I can't believe you deleted my Second to make your Third a Second!

You bounder!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

First, like Geoff Hurst.

Hello Mortimer... :smiley:
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,045
    edited March 2017
    isam said:
    What will the other 6 dwarves be doing in the Banks campaign?
  • Options

isam said:
    What are the other 6 dwarves doing in the Banks campaign?
    Haha see my edit... it couldn't be could it????!!!
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

Best of 3 !
  • Options

We would be in indyref territory.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

rcs1000 said:

You bounder!
    Too much power!
  • Options
    calum said:

Best of 3 !
    Rock, Paper, Euro
  • Options
    Mr. Calum, there must be a referendum on whether the previous votes should be best of three, or if we should have a fourth.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Why not ? If there is a demonstrable [ clear polling trend ] evidence, why not indeed.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Why not ? If there is a demonstrable [ clear polling trend ] evidence, why not indeed.
    You'd think the EU would just kick us out at that point.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

rcs1000 said:

You bounder!
    I thought about just altering the time stamps. But decided this way was less subtle.
  • Options
    RobD said:

GeoffM said:

rcs1000 said:

You bounder!
    Too much power!
    With great power comes, hey, who stole my wine?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2017
    The reality is nothing is really changing.

Only 25k* turning out on a beautiful day in the heart of Remain land isn't exactly indicating a public exercised, outraged and demanding a massive U-Turn / second go.

* Even 50 or 100k...it is very low numbers for something that something supposed so important.

I think it is more likely in the same way as most of the public weren't swiveled eyed (insert Remain or Leaver), they have voted and if they didn't get the result they voted for, have shrugged, muttered and now just want to get on with it and make the best of it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

GeoffM said:

rcs1000 said:

You bounder!
    I thought about just altering the time stamps. But decided this way was less subtle.
    Also funnier. I did genuinely LOL
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    FPT:
    Danny565 said:

The Guardian describing Tim Farron as the "political leader of the Remain movement".

Rather odd description for the party which is still only 3rd even AMONG REMAIN VOTERS.

That indeed maybe so. But no other party has an unequivocal policy to have a second referendum.

So he is the de facto leader. Any Labour leader with a tiny amount of grey matter can snatch that title in a jiffy.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    I think people were similarly "confident" that Cameron would get a good renegotiation, at one stage.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

I think people were similarly "confident" that Cameron would get a good renegotiation, at one stage.

It was a glorious deal for Brexiteers :)
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

It was absolutely perfect. Everything I hoped it would be.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Just saying that people expressing confidence (wishful thinking?) in the PM's ability to strike a good deal in advance, does not necessarily mean they will actually be satisfied with the deal when the end result comes out.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269
    Surely the EU is a 1950s throwback? Today the clocks go back 60 years in Europe?

Let's party like it's 1957!!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

First, like Geoff Hurst.

Welcome back to PB!
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Just saying that people expressing confidence (wishful thinking?) in the PM's ability to strike a good deal in advance, does not necessarily mean they will actually be satisfied with the deal when the end result comes out.
    A fair point, and they may have other things to complain about too.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

FPT:

Danny565 said:

The Guardian describing Tim Farron as the "political leader of the Remain movement".

Rather odd description for the party which is still only 3rd even AMONG REMAIN VOTERS.

That indeed maybe so. But no other party has an unequivocal policy to have a second referendum.
    But even in spite of their "second referendum" policy, greater numbers of Remain voters are still plumping for the Tories or Labour.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Back 40 years? – all I remember from 1977 was zits and long hair.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    SeanT said:

I just don't see the practical, political route to a 2nd referendum. This Tory government is never going to grant one, and they are office until 2020. We will have left by 2019.

The only possibility is that the EU gives us a long transitional deal, beyond 2020, during which it is legally allowed that we might change our minds, and rejoin. This seems deeply unlikely. And of course a UK party will have to fight a general election with a manifesto commitment to a new vote, and win it, in 2020, and then call that 2nd plebiscite. That party would have to be Labour or some super new pro-EU Coalition of Labour, LDs, SNP, etc

Even if the polls swing in favour of a 2nd vote, I am pretty damn certain we are out.

But black swans do happen. 5-10% chance?

There has to be a whole number of factors that have to align.

No deal + Tories implode + Jezza not being Labour leader and manage to win a majority + economy tanking badly...

Then we might get a second referendum.

I still believe there will be some sort of deal
    +
    Mrs Legohead is the right person for the moment (i.e. boring technocrat that isn't a posho)
    +
    Labour are rubbishing at getting rid of their leaders
    +
    Labour don't have any good candidates for leader
    +
    No party comes back from that sort of defeat and wasting years becoming toxic with a terrorist sympathizer as leader
    +
    The projections are that the economy will be fine*

* The argument of brexit vs no-brexit we will never really know the impact. It could be that we don't grow as much, it could be that we grow more, but it won't be possible to prove as so many other factors impact growth.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Danny565 said:

That was more of a zero sum game though (given that the other EU countries didn't expect us to vote to leave). This time a bad deal for the UK could be a bad deal for the rest of the EU. And vice versa. Now there may be other reasons why the EU might not want the UK to achieve an acceptable deal, but that depends on how much they are prepared to punish themselves to punish us. Regardless in the long term one would expect the EU to want a trade deal with the UK. There are plenty of other countries they have agreed, or want to agree, trade deals with who are far less important to them than the UK.
  • Options
    Anyway, chaps, I must be off. Last post of my pre-race ramble, which now contains a quartet of comments:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/australia-pre-race-2017.html

Hope I wake up in time to listen to the race...
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

I was confident he would get something "sellable", even if, on examination, it turned out to be the usual euro-fudge.

What amazed me was that he didn't even get that, he didn't get one significant, eye-opening concession that turned out to be bollocks. The EU treated him with contempt, and gave him nothing, because they knew he would never campaign to leave (as he said so beforehand) and because he reassured them he would win 70: 30 whatever. He went in to the negotiations admitting he would take any old shit, so that's precisely what he was given.

Cameron was a deeply mediocre politician who wildly overrated himself, with catastrophic consequences for his career. And for Britain's EU membership.
    Cameron's heart wasn't really in achieving any real reform. He clearly thought that not rocking the EU boat was the best strategy and thought getting a few bits and pieces plus the power of the government machine to pump out project fear would be enough.

He would win like he won the other two referendums and he would sail off into the sunset with EU, UK and FPTP all intact. Job done. Place in history.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    SeanT said:

Only 25k* turning out on a beautiful day in the heart of Remain land isn't exactly indicating a public exercised, outraged and demanding a massive U-Turn / second go.

* Even 50 or 100k...it is very low numbers for something that something supposed so important.

I think it is more likely in the same way as most of the public weren't swiveled eyed (insert Remain or Leaver), they have voted and if they didn't get the result they voted for, have shrugged, muttered and now just want to get on with it and make the best of it.

It's worse than that. They organised this march expecting the biggest protest march in modern British history.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/28/stop-brexit-campaign-biggest-uk-biggest-protest-march

That is to say, they expected 750,000. Maybe a million or more. Literally.

"They say that they want to maximise the visual impact by staging the largest march possible. “It is vital that it is in London because we are marching on parliament; our message is to parliament,” said French."

In the end, they got... 25,000.

400,000 marched against the foxhunting ban.
    And that is a pretty niche issue.

As I stated on the last thread, put in perspective, Metallica sold more tickets on Friday, in an hour, for their UK shows at £90 a pop, despite being way over the hill heavy metal band...Ed Sheeran they ain't.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Sorry, but whether Remainers want a second referendum or not really doesn't matter. Leavers are not changing their minds, and they are the majority.

Of those expressing an opinion, 61% were against a second referendum in December and 58% in March. Once bills start being passed, the bureaucratic momentum will be irresistible.

We are leaving.
  • Options

SeanT said:

It's worse than that. They organised this march expecting the biggest protest march in modern British history.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/28/stop-brexit-campaign-biggest-uk-biggest-protest-march

"They say that they want to maximise the visual impact by staging the largest march possible. “It is vital that it is in London because we are marching on parliament; our message is to parliament,” said French."

As I stated on the last thread, put in perspective, Metallica sold more tickets on Friday, in an hour for their UK shows at £90 a pop, despite being way over the hill heavy metal band...Ed Sheeran they ain't.
    Never thought I'd see Metallica being contrasted unflatteringly with Ed Sheeran!
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Danny565 said:

We will be fine.

Cameron, whilst stuck in the EU, entered the 'negotiation' with one hand tied behind his back. He simply was not free to take alternative action. May is. The people have sanctioned departure.

The negotiation is no longer the UK and the EU, it's the UK and the wider world.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Danny565 said:

SeanT said:

As I stated on the last thread, put in perspective, Metallica sold more tickets on Friday, in an hour for their UK shows at £90 a pop, despite being way over the hill heavy metal band...Ed Sheeran they ain't.
    Never thought I'd see Metallica being contrasted unflatteringly with Ed Sheeran!
    Metallica ain't what they used to be and no where near as popular as flavour of the month Ed "9 out of top 10 tunes in the hit parade" Sheeran.
  • Options
    And I thought peers of the realm were disqualified from the Commons. :p
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,067
    SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

I was confident he would get something "sellable", even if, on examination, it turned out to be the usual euro-fudge.

What amazed me was that he didn't even get that, he didn't get one significant, eye-opening concession that turned out to be bollocks. The EU treated him with contempt, and gave him nothing, because they knew he would never campaign to leave (as he said so beforehand) and because he reassured them he would win 70: 30 whatever. He went in to the negotiations admitting he would take any old shit, so that's precisely what he was given.

Cameron was a deeply mediocre politician who wildly overrated himself, with catastrophic consequences for his career. And for Britain's EU membership.
    Cameron had a level of ability and the potential to develop more. But he never needed to because he was very, very lucky.

A problem with politics as a career is that it is proportionally more luck dependent than other professions. But people like to think their success is as a result of their ability and hard work rather than luck.

It is also a profession that attracts sycophants to the successful which further encourages successful politicians to over-rate their own abilities.

At some point the luck runs out leading to 'all political lives end in failure'.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    And they criticize Osborne for having loads of jobs...I don't know he fits in being an academic, professional footballer, country squire and politician in...
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    isam said:

Seems like tim-not-nice-but-dim's latest obsession is Arron Banks' height :smiley:

Can somebody who is sympathetic to Aron Banks, please explain his obsession with Carswell, and what he thinks will be achieved by criticising Carswell and standing against him in Clacton?

I do what to assume the best in everybody and make an effort to understand there position, and why they act the way they do. But I don't get this, its not making him look good, and it doesn't seem to be achieving or likely to achieve anything larger.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Nuttall’s supreme accolade will always be winner of the Celebrity Great British bake off…!
  • Options
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/10/18/the-nearest-run-thing/

“It has been a damned nice thing — the nearest run thing you ever saw in your life.” – those were the immortal words of one Arthur Wellesley (the Duke of Wellington) in the aftermath of the Battle of Waterloo in June 1815.

I keep seeing comments on PB.com, and the wider MSM, about the EU Referendum being a close result, with the implication that it was the closest referendum result in human history, and that because it was such a narrow win for LEAVE, that somehow that made the result illegitimate. Perhaps I exaggerate with the previous sentence, but you know what I mean!
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

That's exactly right.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    Barnesian said:

SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

That's exactly right.
    We'll just have to hope that Boris wasn't offering him some sort of important global job when they were photographed together last week, then....
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    SeanT said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

That's exactly right.
    We'll just have to hope that Boris wasn't offering him some sort of important global job when they were photographed together last week, then....
    In what universe is Sec Gen of NATO an "important global job"? When did the leader of NATO last have any noticeable effect on anything, anywhere?

I'd be stunned if Cameron took the gig. Plus he could make squillions doing speeches, flying first class to nice places around the world, rather than sitting in a tedious office in Brussels, shuffling paper.
    And Mrs C might have something to say about moving to Brussels...what with the kids, a new business, etc etc etc.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Thanks for the link, there it is in pixels they expected 750,000 so the 25,000 that came out to march today is less than 3.5% of their predictions/expectation.

A bit like the instant recession or was it a depression, that was met to start on the day after we voted out.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    BigRich said:

SeanT said:

Thanks for the link, there it is in pixels they expected 750,000 so the 25,000 that came out to march today is less than 3.5% of their predictions/expectation.

A bit like the instant recession or was it a depression, that was met to start on the day after we voted out.
    Even if they were just dreaming with those kind of numbers. I am sure they hoped to get significant numbers i.e. in the 100,000s. A city of millions of people in hardcore remain land, a beautiful weekend afternoon, star turns from the likes of that bloke famed for a dodgy dossier, the Lib Dem leader who nobody can remember his name, some lawyer....on wait I might see the problem now.

Another comparison, those NHS protests over the past year or two, they have got in the region of 250,000.

I reckon "Vegan's against Fivers" could probably muster 25,000...
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    BigRich said:

isam said:

Can somebody who is sympathetic to Aron Banks, please explain his obsession with Carswell, and what he thinks will be achieved by criticising Carswell and standing against him in Clacton?

I do what to assume the best in everybody and make an effort to understand there position, and why they act the way they do. But I don't get this, its not making him look good, and it doesn't seem to be achieving or likely to achieve anything larger.
    Seems like he suspected Carswell was more committed to destroying UKIP than seeing them progress. I suspect he thinks he can get the C2D2 vote in Clacton, while Carswell and the tories will split the Frinton poshos

Carswell isn't the devil but I don't know why he persists with the 'I ❤️ everyone' act, it just makes him look like a phoney, and it isn't as funny as he seems to think.
  • Options
    I voted to Remain in the EU. If we were to have another referendum then I would vote Remain again because my instincts would compel me to do so. I don't want another referendum though... on anything... ever...

I appreciate the contradiction in my stance but, like many who voted Remain, I feel very torn. I don't want to leave the EU and I don't want to disrespect the referendum result either. Basically I don't really feel I have any stake in the post-referendum political reality.

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    SeanT said:

It's a lesson in Public Action Expectations Management. Don't predict the "biggest march in British history" unless you are very VERY confident.

Much better to underplay it beforehand, slowly and quietly build, then on the day: surprise.

I would have thought if you had any sort of a clue at all you could derive good enough data about peoples' intentions from facebook and twitter to put your estimate in the right order of magnitude.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Except that Mrs May is doing her utmost to make the worst of it.....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

That's exactly right.
    In what universe is Sec Gen of NATO an "important global job"? When did the leader of NATO last have any noticeable effect on anything, anywhere?

I'd be stunned if Cameron took the gig. Plus he could make squillions doing speeches, flying first class to nice places around the world, rather than sitting in a tedious office in Brussels, shuffling paper.
    He should at least take a peerage. That'd relieve a tiny bit of the monotony.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    edited March 2017
    Mortimer said:

First, like Geoff Hurst.

Welcome back!

I'm getting visions of Alec Guinness leaving the sweat box in Bridge Over The River Kwai! :smiley:
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    In the minds of most remain voters the question is pretty much settled - we are leaving the EU. No one I know has any inclination to get involved politically to try and change the decision. The majority of people just accept it.

Certainly as someone who campaigned to stay in the EU last year I have no desire whatsoever to go on a protest march or indeed go on an open Britain street stand to speak to the same idiots we spoke to this time last year handing out the same patronising stronger in propoganda.

Peoples views on the EU will probably change over the next two years and their will be 'Bregret' if the economic consequences (inflation, unemployment) are a) significant and b) linked in peoples minds to Brexit. I think it is more likely that - if we suffer economic harm - the politicians will try and blame the EU and hope that people fall for it. That doesn't bode well for the future.
  • Options
    Ally_BAlly_B Posts: 185
    SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

I was confident he would get something "sellable", even if, on examination, it turned out to be the usual euro-fudge. What amazed me was that he didn't even get that, he didn't get one significant, eye-opening concession that turned out to be bollocks.
    I don't think he thought for one minute that he would lose the referendum and I don't either side in that negotiation thought it necessary to do so which is why we are where we are. I would also add that I don't think any concession that the EU offered would have been acceptable to the Leavers. They simply wanted out regardless of any personal or financial consequences because they either couldn't appreciate there would be any downside or the latter didn't matter to them.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Mike wonders what might happen if someone of significance in the Labour Party comes out for a second referendum? I can't think of anyone in the Labour Party who fits this description currently. As for Cameron, whilst his management of the deal negotiations and referendum were catastrophic (for Remain), his achievement in creating the Coalition and holding it together was monumental. No other contemporary politician could have done it.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,067
    Comparing the 1975 and 2016 referendum results it looks like EVERY county in England and Wales swung to Leave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_United_Kingdom_European_Communities_membership_referendum,_1975

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum,_2016

Even Greater London was 7% more Leave in 2016 than in 1975 while counties as political and economically different as Surrey and South Yorkshire both showed a 25% swing to Leave.

Scotland of course is different - swings to Leave in the borders and swings to Remain in the central belt and islands.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Ally_B said:

SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

I was confident he would get something "sellable", even if, on examination, it turned out to be the usual euro-fudge. What amazed me was that he didn't even get that, he didn't get one significant, eye-opening concession that turned out to be bollocks.
    I don't think he thought for one minute that he would lose the referendum and I don't either side in that negotiation thought it necessary to do so which is why we are where we are. I would also add that I don't think any concession that the EU offered would have been acceptable to the Leavers. They simply wanted out regardless of any personal or financial consequences because they either couldn't appreciate there would be any downside or the latter didn't matter to them.
    A big problem was that it wasn't Status Quo vs Leave, it was Ever Closer Union vs Leave. If Cameron had got concessions on things like some controls on migration and real tangible stuff on the status of the UK within the EU, he might have won over fence sitters.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    SeanT said:

Incidentally, I had an absolutely blissful day today.

I woke up at 9am with my daughter, we went shopping for picnic stuff in M&S, we got St Agur, some fine English sourdough, Jamon Iberica de Bellota, Italian salamis, great vine tomatoes, spring onions, a chilled Sancerre, amazing pink lady pressed apple juice, special cookies...

Then we got the train from Euston to Tring. 38 minutes! And you walk out of the station into real Chilterns countryside. Red kites wheeling, horses cantering. We walked for miles then had a sublime picnic in the beechwoods looking over the hills. I drank the Sancerre. We walked on and on, to wonderful Ivinghoe Beacon, then got a cab back from some country lane to the station, returning to Euston by 7pm.

A glorious day of pure Spring sunshine. We saw herds of muntjac deer. And worms. And many beetles. And a hovering kestrel. And those big Red Kites. My daughter was stupidly happy. I will never forget it.

You could spend £500 at eurodisney and it wouldn't match that.

'Tis indeed been a day that makes you happy to be alive and living in the dear old Blighty.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    SeanT said:

Incidentally, I had an absolutely blissful day today.

I woke up at 9am with my daughter, we went shopping for picnic stuff in M&S, we got St Agur, some fine English sourdough, Jamon Iberica de Bellota, Italian salamis, great vine tomatoes, spring onions, a chilled Sancerre, amazing pink lady pressed apple juice, special cookies...

Any recommendations on a good Sancerre or Pouilly-Fumé, for those of us who aren't multi-millionaire thriller writers?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    SeanT said:

Ally_B said:

SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

You're wrong. I was a reluctant Leaver very ready to be persuaded even by a fairly shoddy deal, as long as it had something close to what Cameron promised in his Bloomberg speech just something, a temporary stop on migration (but endlessly qualified blah blah), an irreversible commitment to British exceptionalism. I was ready to be conned, in other words.

But in the end Cameron's con was so useless and bad I refused to be gulled. I was like a willingly foolish punter, money in hand, who was so insulted by the blase, offhand, uncaring patter of the salesman I slammed the door, even though my original instinct was to buy.

How many were like me? A million or two? It would have been enough to swing the vote.

PLUS I do believe he could have got a LOT more if he'd gone there and said: I could really really lose this, and you need to give me something serious, and if you don't, I will campaign to LEAVE.

But being an idiot, he ruled out both possibilities long beforehand, by reassuring them he would win whatever he was offered, and by confirming he would campaign for STAY, come what may.

Cameron was a fucking idiot. That's his epitaph. Enough.
    They immediately knew the deal hadn't fooled anybody, so much so it played zero part in the campaign. So rather than Cameron being able to wave a bit of paper like the "there's no money left" note he used as an effective prop in the GE2015, they had to resort to if you vote leave you George will send his former dominatrix friend around to inflict pain.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I voted to Remain in the EU. If we were to have another referendum then I would vote Remain again because my instincts would compel me to do so. I don't want another referendum though... on anything... ever...

I appreciate the contradiction in my stance but, like many who voted Remain, I feel very torn. I don't want to leave the EU and I don't want to disrespect the referendum result either. Basically I don't really feel I have any stake in the post-referendum political reality.

As a Leaver, I'm with you.

Referendums are sometimes necessary, unfortunately, but on these big issues by God they are divisive. We've seen it in Scotland, and now across the UK.

Enough referendums, now. For a while. Let's go back to elections, and parliamentary democracy (unless we can somehow make the leap to Swiss style plebiscitary democracy, which will be hard).

Incidentally, I think this anti-referendums mood will prevent Scottish indy for the foreseeable. Many Scots are still minded to go indy, but even more Scots just hate the idea of another campaign that splits the country. I suspect they will haver, and never quite have that vote, for a long time.
    one way to avoid referendum and elections in general is to simply adopt a totally free society, and anrco-capitalist world, where there is no government, no states, no mandatary regulations so no need to elect anybody to decide them, or taxes to pay for there enforced. Cant see it happening in my life time but I can dream!!!!

As to the Scottish referendum, I wonder what would happen If May proposed having a referendum on having a referendum, i.e. Do you think there should not be any more referendums on Scottish independence for 10 years from the last referendum on the subject?
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    The Herald - Tom Gordon: The SNP will face a new level of pushback

"However the debate was revealing in other ways. It was striking just how stale a lot of SNP attack lines have become. Arguing for a referendum, the party made a beeline for memory lane, dredging up Margaret Thatcher, the miners’ strike, and other 80s hits.

These things mean something to my generation and above, but they’re a mystery to many. It felt like the SNP was tilting at ghosts. One senior Nationalist told me they were exasperated at the nascent campaign. “It’s tired. It’s really tired. There’s no fresh thinking going on.”"
  • Options

Comparing the 1975 and 2016 referendum results it looks like EVERY county in England and Wales swung to Leave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_United_Kingdom_European_Communities_membership_referendum,_1975

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum,_2016

Even Greater London was 7% more Leave in 2016 than in 1975 while counties as political and economically different as Surrey and South Yorkshire both showed a 25% swing to Leave.

Scotland of course is different - swings to Leave in the borders and swings to Remain in the central belt and islands.

If I remember right Shetland was the most anti EEC In 75 and moved to being one of the 5 most pro remain areas in 2016.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

I am in a similar place to you. I also voted Remain because I feel that the process of separation will do huge damage to the UK and it will not help the EU much either, but I am certain that there will be no second referendum.

If the "divorce" becomes a shambles and we wind up in WTO terms (which is where I think the UK will finish up) and a lot of jobs relocate to the EU then there will be a lot of shouting and probably some "get us back in", but if that does happen I doubt there will be a referendum. I expect that there would be a Prime Ministerial statement and a Parliamentary rubberstamp.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited March 2017

I think that's a very good post particularly your last line. I've never felt as alienated from my government or my fellow countrymen as I do now or know as many people who currently feel as I do.

There is an emerging generation of very angry people which bodes well for no-one
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Roger said:

I think that's a very good post particularly your last line. I've never felt as alienated from my government or my fellow countrymen or know as many people who currently feel as I do. There is an emerging generation of very angry people which bodes well for no-one
    They're not that angry, 750k were expected to go on a march and no fucker turned up (relatively speaking)
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited March 2017
    BigRich said:

If I remember right Shetland was the most anti EEC In 75 and moved to being one of the 5 most pro remain areas in 2016.

I seem to recollect Jo Grimmond giving a light hearted apology on BBC to his colleagues on theYes side for the fact his constituents had gone against the perceived wisdom and voted no. This was as the result came through the following (late) morning, I think. I'm too old!
  • Options
    isam said:

Roger said:

I think that's a very good post particularly your last line. I've never felt as alienated from my government or my fellow countrymen or know as many people who currently feel as I do. There is an emerging generation of very angry people which bodes well for no-one
    They're not that angry, they expected 750k to go on a march and no fucker turned up (relatively speaking)
    It could have been worse, a Chilean Sanchez style protest....
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Roger said:

I think that's a very good post particularly your last line. I've never felt as alienated from my government or my fellow countrymen as I do now or know as many people who currently feel as I do.

There is an emerging generation of very angry people which bodes well for no-one
    There are a few noisy's in the liberal establishment that are angry. Everyone else is getting on with life.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,045
    SeanT said:

Incidentally, I think this anti-referendums mood will prevent Scottish indy for the foreseeable. Many Scots are still minded to go indy, but even more Scots just hate the idea of another campaign that splits the country. I suspect they will haver, and never quite have that vote, for a long time.

An astounding coincidence that your Mcinsight corresponds with your desires on this subject.
  • Options
    Ally_BAlly_B Posts: 185

Ally_B said:

A big problem was that it wasn't Status Quo vs Leave, it was Ever Closer Union vs Leave. If Cameron had got concessions on things like some controls on migration and real tangible stuff on the status of the UK within the EU, he might have won over fence sitters.
    I think"we" (here) may have thought like that but I don't think the "average man in the street" was thinking in that way. I didn't appreciate there was any problem with immigration because unemployment was low and whilst wage inflation was similarly low I had put that down to sorting out the legacy of the banking problem rather than Europe. I am annoyed that the failure to address genuine concerns that people hold has resulted in making it worse for all living here.
  • Options

isam said:

Roger said:

They're not that angry, they expected 750k to go on a march and no fucker turned up (relatively speaking)
    It could have been worse, a Dirty Sanchez style protest....
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    GeoffM said:

isam said:

Roger said:

It could have been worse, a Dirty Sanchez style protest....
    LOL.
  • Options

I noticed only 25,359 spoiled votes 0.08% which seems lower than most constituency's in GEs but I can't find a total amount of spoiled votes for say the 2015 GE. does anybody happen to know how may there were?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

I'm in the same boat. Was and am "pro-eu" and if there was another vote I would vote to Remain - my personal view on Brexit remains unchanged. Yet I have no desire to rerun the referendum or thwart the process. What's done is done. Perhaps one day re-joining the EEA would be an option but I doubt ever the EU itself, which is at heart a political project that the UK has never really committed to.

I think referendums are at heart a good idea, but the execution is the problem. They seem to have worked better in Switzerland where the country is better equipped to deal with them. Here, the debate was farcical (on both sides) and poisonous.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited March 2017
    Roger said:

Alternatively the modern snowsflake syndrome is infecting you.

The vote has made not one iota of difference to anything of consequence.

The British people are the same as before. Our interaction with European people is unaltered.

The politicians are discomforted, so that's OK.

Beyond that hyperbole and snowflakes .
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,937
    SeanT said:

Roger said:

You could, alternatively, take a much more positive stance, and say: "my country (right or wrong) has voted to Leave the EU, and forge a new, independent path.

"I don't like it, but this is the democratic choice of my fellow Britons. And there are, undeniably, new opportunities to be seized, even if I believe the dangers do not justify the risks. We can remain very good friends, neighbours and allies of our European cousins, even as we do things a little differently. Let's see - let's have a go."

Try it. You might like it. Look at someone like Nabavi who seems, very sensibly, to be adopting this stance.

Besides, it's the best you're gonna get. Your side lost. There it is. My side lost for the last 40 years, and I had to live with it for decades, and make the best of it. Which I did - while remaining a British patriot.
    Roger is too far gone for that. He has made clear on here many times on here that he considers those who voted for Brexit to be sub-normal and unworthy of the vote. He is the worst kind of elitist and is beyond redemption. Someone who believes democracy should only be the preserve of 'his kind of people'.

Best to leave him to wallow in his misery - which he will probably be doing in his apparently rather nice pad in Southern France.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

Cameron had a level of ability and the potential to develop more. But he never needed to because he was very, very lucky.

A problem with politics as a career is that it is proportionally more luck dependent than other professions. But people like to think their success is as a result of their ability and hard work rather than luck.

It is also a profession that attracts sycophants to the successful which further encourages successful politicians to over-rate their own abilities.

At some point the luck runs out leading to 'all political lives end in failure'.
    I think that's exactly right. He got lucky with the Tory leadership, he got lucky in facing Brown and Miliband, he got lucky winning indyref (the clearly superior Salmond nearly outfoxed him, from a much weaker starting point), he was a smart enough guy but a VERY average politician at best, but a series of *wins* convinced him he was actually and seriously good.

And then, Brexit. Reality. His epitaph. He was a clueless posho after all.
    Cameron's biggest mistake was to be seen attempting to conduct the UK's so-called re-negotiation with the EU, seemingly single-handedly, over just a few weeks.
    Worse still was his fatal mistake of trying to pretend that he had achieved something meaningful when in truth he had achieved next to nothing.
    Not once during the referendum campaign did anyone on the Remain attempted to argue that anything of substance had been achieved for the simple reason that this was simply not the case. From that moment on Cameron and his first Lieutenant were finished as a political force.
  • Options
    For those betting on Trump to be impeached/convicted/exit date

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/845719948018302977
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Seriously .... Can I sense another bet coming on with Smithson Jnr?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Roger said:

You could, alternatively, take a much more positive stance, and say: "my country (right or wrong) has voted to Leave the EU, and forge a new, independent path.

"I don't like it, but this is the democratic choice of my fellow Britons. And there are, undeniably, new opportunities to be seized, even if I believe the dangers do not justify the risks. We can remain very good friends, neighbours and allies of our European cousins, even as we do things a little differently. Let's see - let's have a go."

Try it. You might like it. Look at someone like Nabavi who seems, very sensibly, to be adopting this stance.

Besides, it's the best you're gonna get. Your side lost. There it is. My side lost for the last 40 years, and I had to live with it for decades, and make the best of it. Which I did - while remaining a British patriot.
    Roger is too far gone for that. He has made clear on here many times on here that he considers those who voted for Brexit to be sub-normal and unworthy of the vote. He is the worst kind of elitist and is beyond redemption. Someone who believes democracy should only be the preserve of 'his kind of people'.

Best to leave him to wallow in his misery - which he will probably be doing in his apparently rather nice pad in Southern France.
    Reading this thread listening to my fav Jam album, Sound Affects, and right now poss my fav Jam lyric, from Dream Time...

"Oh BOY!! It's a tough, tough world
    But you've got to be TOUGH WITH IT"

Words to live by for the Remainiacs
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Roger said:

There are a few noisy's in the liberal establishment that are angry. Everyone else is getting on with life.

I suspect every time you visit a professional person- doctor surgeon lawyer accountant dentist advertiser restaurateur etc you will find yourself among this 'liberal establishment' and whether or not they are getting on with their lives they are mighty pissed off.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Thanks, yes, alienated is very much how I feel... That may pass or it may not. I don't know but it's certainly how I feel now.

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Initially, I was on the fence, but with concerns about the EU. The more the campaign went on, the more I was pushed to leave. The 'deal' sealed the deal as I realised the EU was un-reformable. What happened after that only confirmed my decision.

In the immortal words* of Michael Jackson: I'm a leaver not a kipper.

I doubt I was the only one.

* may not be entirely verbatim.

• Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711

I'm in the same boat. Was and am "pro-eu" and if there was another vote I would vote to Remain - my personal view on Brexit remains unchanged. Yet I have no desire to rerun the referendum or thwart the process. What's done is done. Perhaps one day re-joining the EEA would be an option but I doubt ever the EU itself, which is at heart a political project that the UK has never really committed to.

I think referendums are at heart a good idea, but the execution is the problem. They seem to have worked better in Switzerland where the country is better equipped to deal with them. Here, the debate was farcical (on both sides) and poisonous.
    I feel exactly the same -voted remain, but not clamouring for a re-run. My biggest regret is that the question was framed wrongly. Not enough consideration was given to what people voting leave actually wanted. The only consideration was what they did not want

People who voted remain knew what they were getting.. status quo. People who voted leave, voted for change, but without a clear idea of what that is going to be. They have put themselves and the rest of the UK on a train which nobody knows where it is going to. The destination could be the Land of Milk and Honey or over the edge of a cliff.

The 52% have put their trust in a goverment supported by less than 37% of those voted in 2015, headed by a PM who campaigned to Remain.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,937
    Roger said:

Roger said:

I suspect every time you visit a professional person- doctor surgeon lawyer accountant dentist advertiser restaurateur etc you will find yourself among this 'liberal establishment' and whether or not they are getting on with their lives they are mighty pissed off.
    I suspect the type of people you associate with are very far from typical of the average professional person.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    BigRich said:

“The idea is to try to make this the biggest march the capital, or country, has ever seen,” said French, who pointed out that there were 6 or 7 million voters in London alone, some 70% of whom had opposed Brexit.

His starting figures are way off. He overstates the number of voters and the popularity of Remain in London.

There weren't 6 or 7 million voters, there was an electorate of 5.4 million in London. Of that 5.4 million about 3.8 million or 70% voted, split 2.3 million - 60% for Remain, and 1.5 million - 40% for leave.

This is your basic die-hard Remainer problem, the EU is not very popular in the UK, there are a lot of basically reluctant Remainers, a ton of people who don't care, and the biggest group of all is the Leavers. That's why Remain lost, it's why they will not block us leaving.

• Options
    isam said:

Roger said:

They're not that angry, 750k were expected to go on a march and no fucker turned up (relatively speaking)

I prefer to protest march within the confines of my own house where nobody else can see me. It's more civilised... ;)

• Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    SeanT said:

Roger said:

The last paragraph of your response highlights exactly the point being made by the original poster, eg he now has no stake in the political process because he was on the losing side in the referendum debate.

• Options
    nielh said:

SeanT said:

Roger said:

The last paragraph of your response highlights exactly the point being made by the original poster, eg he now has no stake in the political process because he was on the losing side in the referendum debate.

LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

:innocent:
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237

nielh said:

SeanT said:

Roger said:

LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

Yes we're all quite aware the state of public opinion on 23rd June last year. It won't be the same now and the result of opinion on one day last year does not bind UK policy for ever more.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger, I live in London. On the Frontiers of Primrose Hill FFS. I live in the heart of Remainerdom.

People here are not *mightily pissed off*. They're a bit nervy, a bit resigned, but also rather intrigued - and curious as to what happens next. And some are becoming positively optimistic - see this survey of the rich and Brexit. They now think it will be good for them, and the UK

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/22/uk-millionaires-brexit-eu-ubs-wealth-management

And Londoners under 30 - British and European - just don't seem to give the slightest fuck either way (to an extent which astonishes me)
    This has nothing to do with wealth. The rich don't care about Brexit because it'll make them poorer. It's because of what it says about us as a country. If no one you know gives the slightest fuck either way then we know a different sort of people (which surprises me)
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

nielh said:

SeanT said:

Roger said:

LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

Yes we're all quite aware the state of public opinion on 23rd June last year. It won't be the same now and the result of opinion on one day last year does not bind UK policy for ever more.
    I guess you prefer the state of public opinion way back in 1975?
This discussion has been closed.