Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If this is accurate, then you might wish to update your Trump

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited March 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If this is accurate, then you might wish to update your Trump impeachment, conviction, resignation, and exit date betting

(THREAD) BREAKING: Harvard professor and @CNN political analyst Juliette Kayyem says, per sources, Michael Flynn may have flipped on Trump. pic.twitter.com/kkG4h4gqvw

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    edited March 2017
    First. You can blame this on the change of hours, if you like!
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Both Tim Farron and Nick Clegg seem to have made a considerable impact at the EU Rally in London yesterday. This was well covered by Channel 4, but not by the BBC, so it will have escaped the attention of the PB Tory commentariat. Apologies for going off topic so soon.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,917
    Wishful thinking. Will not happen.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907

Wishful thinking. Will not happen.

Decent chance of impeachment if the Democrats do very well in the mid-terms but not before.
    Laying Donald Trump to go this year is good value IMO.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    I'm not an expert on this sort of thing but this tweet makes me think it could be wishful thinking:

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/845722486100635648

You might not like it, but having close ties to Russia could be considered a virtue by the Trump administration.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Both Tim Farron and Nick Clegg seem to have made a considerable impact at the EU Rally in London yesterday. This was well covered by Channel 4, but not by the BBC, so it will have escaped the attention of the PB Tory commentariat. Apologies for going off topic so soon.

The pro-Leave BBC was never going to cover the march.

• Options
    edited March 2017

PClipp said:

Is it not the case that there are demonstrations in London most weekends? The BBC should report on all of them or none of them, unless a march draws in exceptional numbers (i.e. Iraq War).
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,925

PClipp said:

Many Leavers will be described by that description of the BBC, I’m sure.
  • Options

PClipp said:

Described = surprised.

Is Old Age catching up with me?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

PClipp said:

Described = surprised.

It passed you under DRS .... you might still manage a podium finish.

Whilst on the sporting theme, the Dharamsala venue for the India Oz test match must have one of the finest cricket backdrops anywhere sitting as it does in the foothills of the Himalayas.
  • Options

PClipp said:

I may have been ever so slightly tongue in cheek ;-)

That said, there is a perception among some Remainers that the BBC went easy on Leave claims during the referendum and continues to give Nigel Farage, for one, inordinate amounts of airtime. Just goes to show it's not just Leavers who see bias.

• Options
    JackW said:

PClipp said:

Described = surprised.

It passed you under DRS .... you might still manage a podium finish.

Whilst on the sporting theme, the Dharamsala venue for the India Oz test match must have one of the finest cricket backdrops anywhere sitting as it does in the foothills of the Himalayas.
    It's beautiful and they've produced a very good pitch. India should play here more often.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    tlg86 said:

PClipp said:

Is it not the case that there are demonstrations in London most weekends? The BBC should report on all of them or none of them, unless a march draws in exceptional numbers (i.e. Iraq War).
    That is pretty much what happens.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Eagles,

Forgive my ignorance but what is this thread about? A few tweets from people I've never heard of. I did google Abramson and he seems to be a blogger hinting at something I know not.

What crime is being hinted at?

I'm happy to believe that Trump has dome something, but what is it?
  • Options

PClipp said:

That said, there is a perception among some Remainers that the BBC went easy on Leave claims during the referendum and continues to give Nigel Farage, for one, inordinate amounts of airtime. Just goes to show it's not just Leavers who see bias.

Was it not for the Remain campaign to call out the questionable claims by their opponents (and if you believe Cummings, the Leave campaign wanted the scrutiny)?

Without wanting to start an argument about BBC bias, @Morris_Dancer of this parish quite rightly points to Kamal Ahmed's question to Mark Carney - "Can you rule out a recession if we vote to leave the EU?"

That doesn't prove bias, but it does show that the BBC employ some complete morons.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited March 2017

PClipp said:

Ironically there is a perception among some Leavers that giving Nigel Farage inordinate amounts of airtime demonstrates the BBC's bias towarsds Remain!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Was their really a debate on the merits of extreme libertarianism in the last thread? Is this 2008? Is Ron Paul running again?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    CD13 said:

Mr Eagles,

Forgive my ignorance but what is this thread about? A few tweets from people I've never heard of. I did google Abramson and he seems to be a blogger hinting at something I know not.

I share your confusion. I think the context of this is that senior staffers and possibly Trump himself may have had meetings with Russians and possibly received intelligence from them that they have subsequently lied about and said didn't happen. But its all a bit obscure.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

CD13 said:

Mr Eagles,

I share your confusion. I think the context of this is that senior staffers and possibly Trump himself may have had meetings with Russians and possibly received intelligence from them that they have subsequently lied about and said didn't happen. But its all a bit obscure.
    But during the election we were told that the Trump campaign was totally incompetent. So if they were being fed intelligence by the Russians, presumably most think that they weren't using it to any great effect.
  • Options
    Charles said:

PClipp said:

Ironically there is a perception among some Leavers that giving Nigel Farage inordinate amounts of airtime demonstrates the BBC's bias towarsds Remain!

A very fair point! After his performance over recent days Lord Haw Haw is not an advocate that many people will give much time to.

• Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Eagles,

This might help

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.inquisitr.com/4090747/donald-trump-impeachment-michael-flynn-flipped-on-trump-working-with-fbi/amp/
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,970
    Good morning, everyone.

Just got up. Woke up in time to listen to the race. First half sounded very exciting, second half mostly settled down. Will be watching the highlights later, and writing the post-race article shortly.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

CD13 said:

Mr Eagles,

But during the election we were told that the Trump campaign was totally incompetent. So if they were being fed intelligence by the Russians, presumably most think that they weren't using it to any great effect.
    TBH, the idea that Trump is going to be impeached, let alone successfully, is wishful thinking, rather than a reasonable forecast.
    If that’s the aim of the opposition it’s an admission of futility. Far better to spend time organising, and putting the Dem machine back in order to try and get control of the House in 2018 and make some advances in the Senate and in the ranls of the Governors.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

CD13 said:

Mr Eagles,

TBH, the idea that Trump is going to be impeached, let alone successfully, is wishful thinking, rather than a reasonable forecast.
    If that’s the aim of the opposition it’s an admission of futility. Far better to spend time organising, and putting the Dem machine back in order to try and get control of the House in 2018 and make some advances in the Senate and in the ranls of the Governors.
    You're thinking of the Democrat opposition. As the health plan fiasco showed, there is plenty of Republican opposition to Trump. And the question is not will he be impeached but will he be forced to resign before he is impeached?
  • Options
    Mr L,

Thanks.

So, it might be that some tweeters don't like Trump and are hinting they someone he knows may or may not have received information from the Russians during the POTUS election campaign about some factual information about Hilary's campaign. which Trump may or may not have used. And if he did, he may or may not have lied about it.

As this sounds a little bit like Watergate, they hope he'll be impeached.

Oh, the excitement.
  • Options

Charles said:

PClipp said:

A very fair point! After his performance over recent days Lord Haw Haw is not an advocate that many people will give much time to.

I saw one bitter and pointless tweet about Carswell, but was there any more than that?
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Just got up. Woke up in time to listen to the race. First half sounded very exciting, second half mostly settled down. Will be watching the highlights later, and writing the post-race article shortly.

Mr Dancer, the afternoon thread contains a reference to classical history, I'll be onsite around 8pm to help explain and educate you about it if you'd like.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390

Good morning, everyone.

A satisfying outcome, Mr.D.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Biased BBC caption on picture of the pro EU march,

"Ten of thousands of people joined the march"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-39392584
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

CD13 said:

Mr Eagles,

Were 'we' told that? Many anti-Trump posts seemed to be about his unsuitability for the office, and the fact his campaign was revelling in spreading lies.

And it wasn't just being fed intelligence by the Russians; it was the allegations that people linked with the Russian authorities were running attacks and hatchet jobs on Clinton on-line. Bogus information that idiots believed and accentuated; for instance 'confusing' uranium ore for plutonium ...

The 2016 presidential campaign will be remembered for a blonde-haired monkey throwing sh*t all around his cage. Sadly, the monkey is incapable of cleaning up after himself, and has not learnt better habits.
  • Options
    Mr. B, I thought so. Don't want to talk much about it on-thread because I imagine some PBers will be waiting for highlights.

Mr. Eagles, I'll probably be off the computer at 8pm, but I'm sure we'll see each other on Monday.
  • Options
    Mr Eagles,

Thanks.

I'll admit to a guilty secret. I didn't like Nixon, so when Watergate blew up I was all for it. But to be totally honest, it was the burglary and deceit that I disliked. After all, he was seeking factual information against his opponent, a bit like the opposition newspapers were.

One of Reagan's better lines was "Let's make a deal. I'll stop telling the truth about you, if you stop telling lies about me."

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703

Is that not a simple fact?
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

It's missing an s. It reads like only ten, out of thousands who could have, joined the march. I was jokingly accusing the bbc of pro Brexit bias because of a typo.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

It's missing an s. It reads like only ten, out of thousands who could have, joined the march. I was jokingly accusing the bbc of pro Brexit bias because of a typo.
    More importantly, the BBC should have asked - where were the missing 16 million who could have joined the march? Maybe there'll be a Panorama special....
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,402
    edited March 2017

PClipp said:

They certainly covered it:

I am not sure what the BBC policy is on covering marches that turn out to be about 25 times smaller than claimed by the organisers in advance:

"Unite for Europe, an umbrella group of remain campaigners, plans to march on parliament at 11am on 25 March – the last weekend before Theresa May’s self-imposed deadline for launching the process of leaving the European Union – hoping to attract a crowd in excess of three-quarters of a million people."

"The idea is to try to make this the biggest march the capital, or country, has ever seen,” said French, who pointed out that there were 6 or 7 million voters in London alone, some 70% of whom had opposed Brexit."
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/28/stop-brexit-campaign-biggest-uk-biggest-protest-march

Own. Petard. Hoist. But the BBC didn't cover that, so may have been biased the other way !

Perhaps because most areas of the country voted Out, a regional "London" news item is about right.

They should have publicised more heavily that Farron and Clegg were speaking, then 100k extra people would have come down from the Peaks and the Lakes with their thermos flasks.

• Options

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

CD13 said:

Mr Eagles,

You're thinking of the Democrat opposition. As the health plan fiasco showed, there is plenty of Republican opposition to Trump. And the question is not will he be impeached but will he be forced to resign before he is impeached?
    Yes, US parties are not the near-monoliths we are used to here...... I except the current Labour Party, of course ...... and just because someone registers as a Republican or Democrat doesn’t mean that they are prepared to fall in line with the party’s pronouncements on pretty well everything.

I really can’t see enough Republicans being prepared to push Trump into resigning for the movement to get anywhere. IIRC it took ages to get to that point with Nixon, and proceedings against Clinton could only be undertaken because the Republicans had control of Congress.
    Furthermore, given the way electoral districts are drawn in the US, it’s probably more important for the Democrats to get hold of the machinery for same in as many states as possible than it is to spend time and effort on organising against the President.
  • Options

More importantly, the BBC should have asked - where were the missing 16 million who could have joined the march? Maybe there'll be a Panorama special....
    Remainers are too busy running the country; unlike leavers who are too busy sitting at home with slippers and pipes, complaining ... ;)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

It was a good spirited march by all accounts, and a particularly high standard of placards. Protest placads have definitely become wittier over the years:

http://inktank.fi/15-fantastically-fun-protest-signs-from-the-unite-for-europe-march/
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Is which not a simple fact? "Thousands" in the headline or "tens of thousands" in the text? It can't be both, except in the really tedious sense that one is a subset of the other, because the intention is clearly to identify the right order of magnitude. To recognise it as a fact, we need evidence of some kind. The estimate made by the police is usually regarded as reliable, or we could look at aerial photos. Have you sought evidence of either kind, or do you just (logically!) think it must be true because it's on the internet?
  • Options

It was a good spirited march by all accounts, and a particularly high standard of placards. Protest placads have definitely become wittier over the years:

http://inktank.fi/15-fantastically-fun-protest-signs-from-the-unite-for-europe-march/
    There weren't that many good ones on your link - just the usual scatological rubbish.

"Borders against Borders" was mildly amusing, as was "I am quite cross" and the Tintin one.

I suppose 3/15 isn't too bad...
  • Options

No LOLs in that lot for me, and the harder they try the more I think that they might have thought about expending a tiny bit of effort prior to 23/6/16. "The real fightback starts here" arsehattery.
  • Options

Remainers are too busy running the country; unlike leavers who are too busy sitting at home with slippers and pipes, complaining ... ;)
    I am puzzled by Farron's involvement. People complain about Osborne's multi-tasking, but he is a backbencher. Surely being Secretary of State for Defence should be a full-time job?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029
    Ishmael_Z said:

No LOLs in that lot for me, and the harder they try the more I think that they might have thought about expending a tiny bit of effort prior to 23/6/16. "The real fightback starts here" arsehattery.
    I'm sure in a few months your disdain will have moved over to to the Brexiteers for not doing their homework prior to the referendum. The real test for them starts on 29/3/17.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Ishmael_Z said:

I am puzzled by Farron's involvement. People complain about Osborne's multi-tasking, but he is a backbencher. Surely being Secretary of State for Defence should be a full-time job?
    I suppose you never do anything outside the remit of your full time job.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Could so many christmasses have come at once?

They say the dawn follows the darkest night but only Farage drowning in a giant bowl of custard could make this a more optimistic header..

(Footnote....Why are the BBC leading on Sebastian Vettel winning the grand Prix if the POTUS is about to be impeached?)
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

I suppose you never do anything outside the remit of your full time job.
    Hook, line, sinker.
  • Options
    10 French centrist senators have announced their support for Macron (dumping Fillon in the process).

http://www.lejdd.fr/Politique/Dix-senateurs-centristes-annoncent-leur-soutien-a-Macron-856406
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    Ishmael_Z said:

Is which not a simple fact? "Thousands" in the headline or "tens of thousands" in the text? It can't be both, except in the really tedious sense that one is a subset of the other, because the intention is clearly to identify the right order of magnitude. To recognise it as a fact, we need evidence of some kind. The estimate made by the police is usually regarded as reliable, or we could look at aerial photos. Have you sought evidence of either kind, or do you just (logically!) think it must be true because it's on the internet?
    It looks like turnout wasn't bad, but certainly not on the scale the organisers were hoping for.
  • Options

You make a good point. If we could zap all Leavers with one blast who would be the biggest loser...?

Jeremy Kyle
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Forget the froth of the thread header, this is becoming a bit of a problem

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/26/fighting-breaks-supporters-opponents-donald-trump-clash-southern/

There is no healing of the divide but the thought of 30 protesters violently blocking a rally by 2000 seems a little anti-democratic
  • Options
    In other news: Uber's self-drive cars have a few more problems:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39397211
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Eagles,

Thanks.

I'll admit to a guilty secret. I didn't like Nixon, so when Watergate blew up I was all for it. But to be totally honest, it was the burglary and deceit that I disliked. After all, he was seeking factual information against his opponent, a bit like the opposition newspapers were.

One of Reagan's better lines was "Let's make a deal. I'll stop telling the truth about you, if you stop telling lies about me."

Weirdly, not only is John Dean still alive, a quick Google search has him as a very spry 78-year-old.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,280
    Charles said:

PClipp said:

Dominic Cummings being one of them.

Knowing that by doing so they address the letter of impartiality against them, by having a Leave representative, but failing in spirit because he is so effective at repelling centrists.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,969
    Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

It looks like turnout wasn't bad, but certainly not on the scale the organisers were hoping for.
    And by the same token more than Brexiteers were hoping for.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Charles said:

PClipp said:

Knowing that by doing so they address the letter of impartiality against them, by having a Leave representative, but failing in spirit because he is so effective at repelling centrists.
    It wasn't the BBC who persuaded Trump to make Farage the international face of Brexit. Though he always was anyway.
  • Options
    MattW said:

PClipp said:

I am not sure what the BBC policy is on covering marches that turn out to be about 25 times smaller than claimed by the organisers in advance:

"Unite for Europe, an umbrella group of remain campaigners, plans to march on parliament at 11am on 25 March – the last weekend before Theresa May’s self-imposed deadline for launching the process of leaving the European Union – hoping to attract a crowd in excess of three-quarters of a million people."

"The idea is to try to make this the biggest march the capital, or country, has ever seen,” said French, who pointed out that there were 6 or 7 million voters in London alone, some 70% of whom had opposed Brexit."
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/28/stop-brexit-campaign-biggest-uk-biggest-protest-march

Own. Petard. Hoist. But the BBC didn't cover that, so may have been biased the other way !

Perhaps because most areas of the country voted Out, a regional "London" news item is about right.

They should have publicised more heavily that Farron and Clegg were speaking, then 100k extra people would have come down from the Peaks and the Lakes with their thermos flasks.

Given the large numbers of ardent Remainers in Inner London, and high the population of EU citizens across town, the organisers should have had no trouble at all in getting six figures.

And yet they didn't.
  • Options

I'll be in even better spirits on Wednesday evening after my glasses of champagne.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Indeed, hence the use of the term 'Tens of thousands' appearing on many news sites, rather than an actual figure. – Must admit the march looked colourful, good natured and respectful of the recent Westminster atrocity, you can’t ask for much more than that.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

PClipp said:

Many Leavers will be described by the BBC as Leavers. You can be sure of that. It's in the charter.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    Ishmael_Z said:

It was a genuine question. The BBC, a reputable news organisation, say that it was tens of thousands but you disagree? Yet, you want me to prove that the BBC is correct and you are not. Come on, be reasonable.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited March 2017
    Keir Starmer talking sensibly on Brexit and indeed I do not think he is that far away from David Davis and Theresa May. He absolutely confirms the end of free movement and agrees that the UK should accept that it must meet it's commitment, following negotiation, to a divorce bill.

If this tone is matched by TM and David Davis this could be the start of a badly needed consensus. In my opinon the hard Brexit demanded by UKIP and some others will not happen
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Croucho's annual fees have just gone up to £1000 a year with almost no warning so the protests were always going to be large.
  • Options
    MattW said:

PClipp said:

Too cold for sandals!

• Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

Keir Starmer talking sensibly on Brexit and indeed I do not think he is that far away from David Davis and Theresa May. He absolutely confirms the end of free movement and agrees that the UK should accept that it must meet it's commitment, following negotiation, to a divorce bill.

If this tone is matched by TM and David Davis this could be the start of a badly needed consensus. In my opinon the hard Brexit demanded by UKIP and some others will not happen

UKIP's ongoing struggles may give May the breathing space she needs to go for a more consensual brexit. I think if we had a relevant labour opposition a consensual approach would have been unavoidable for May. Because of their irrelevance under Corbyn, May's only opposition so far has been pulling her to a more extreme brexit.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

I'll be in even better spirits on Wednesday evening after my glasses of champagne.
    english fizz mr CR !
  • Options
    Mr. Surbiton, Roman soldiers posted to Britain wore socks with their sandals.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    Americans are sceptical about the political system but very protective of the institution of the Presidency, so it would take a great deal to move impeachment into the realms of serious possibility. If Flynn were to say that he had conspired with Russia on Trump's orders to affect the outcome of the election, that would do it - not much less. It's probably true to say that there is a majority in the Senate (not sure about the House) who don't actually approve of Trump and would prefer his vice-president.

Personally, I prefer Trump to Pence on current evidence. His willingness to give up on Obamacare shows his lack of real hard-edged conservative ideology. Pence is the real deal. We need to be thankful for small mercies.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Mr Eagles,

Thanks.

Weirdly, not only is John Dean still alive, a quick Google search has him as a very spry 78-year-old.
    But he flipped, if I recall ?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I can't speak for them, but I would have thought that the march actually happening, and resembling a wet fart, was a better result than no march at all.

And the bigger story (this is not tailored trolling btw, I was going to say this anyway) is that the Grauniad has a turnout of "more than a thousand" for the Edinburgh event. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2017/mar/25/brexit-protest-thousands-march-in-london-to-unite-for-europe-live
    I thought Scotland's huge Remain majority meant that this was the issue which was going to put fire in the bellies of Yes this time round. This is surely serious for Sturgeon? "more than a thousand" sounds thin to me.
  • Options

english fizz mr CR !
    ;-)
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,202
    Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I can't speak for them, but I would have thought that the march actually happening, and resembling a wet fart, was a better result than no march at all.

And the bigger story (this is not tailored trolling btw, I was going to say this anyway) is that the Grauniad has a turnout of "more than a thousand" for the Edinburgh event. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2017/mar/25/brexit-protest-thousands-march-in-london-to-unite-for-europe-live
    I thought Scotland's huge Remain majority meant that this was the issue which was going to put fire in the bellies of Yes this time round. This is surely serious for Sturgeon? "more than a thousand" sounds thin to me.
    Given the march would have 0 influence on what May does what was the point? At least for the Iraq march (which I was on) there was some prospect that a massive show of opposition might influence events. It didn't of course.
  • Options
    Flynn may have flipped. That's what the indications are. However, that does not necessarily mean he will take down Trump with him. He is probably only reducing his sentence.

Trump's choice was bizarre to say the least. It just shows the man does not do any detail. Flynn, Manafort et al would work with the Devil if the pay was right.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Charles said:

PClipp said:

It wasn't the BBC who persuaded Trump to make Farage the international face of Brexit. Though he always was anyway.
    But, that's a charade that works well both for Farage and for the soft-Left media channels: Farage gets his airtime and his ego indulged, and the broadcasters can use him to caricature the entire Leave vote accordingly, perhaps secretly hoping to discredit it in the process.

Ignore both.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/26/labour-keir-starmer-brexit-exact-same-benefits

Sounds like Labour are pivoting to oppose Brexit when Theresa May fails to deliver on their impossible demands.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Americans are sceptical about the political system but very protective of the institution of the Presidency, so it would take a great deal to move impeachment into the realms of serious possibility. If Flynn were to say that he had conspired with Russia on Trump's orders to affect the outcome of the election, that would do it - not much less. It's probably true to say that there is a majority in the Senate (not sure about the House) who don't actually approve of Trump and would prefer his vice-president.

Personally, I prefer Trump to Pence on current evidence. His willingness to give up on Obamacare shows his lack of real hard-edged conservative ideology. Pence is the real deal. We need to be thankful for small mercies.

The right wing [ as opposed to the Alt-Right ] will prefer Pence any day. They really don't believe Trump is one of them. Apart from anything else, he is too unpredictable.

Nonetheless, Trump has a third of Americans rock solid behind him.

[ P.S. Useless anecdote. I was looking at our Mexican subsidiaries sales in 2017. Up 23% on last year with a week to go ! ]
  • Options

UKIP's ongoing struggles may give May the breathing space she needs to go for a more consensual brexit. I think if we had a relevant labour opposition a consensual approach would have been unavoidable for May. Because of their irrelevance under Corbyn, May's only opposition so far has been pulling her to a more extreme brexit.
    The political situation in the EU appears to stabilising around moderates at the moment: Macron, Rutte and Schulz/Merkel. The language from the likes of Juncker/Tusk has been more tempered in recent days, and there have been some interesting leaks of negotiating lines.

If the EU feels its political situation has stabilised, but can still point to the UK with a depreciated currency, a big divorce bill, ongoing payments into the EU budget, some jobs relocating into the EU, but with no say or vote in the rules, then all of that creates the political space to do a pragmatic economic deal.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Star speakers; Lammy, Clegg and Campbell. No wonder the event flopped.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/26/labour-keir-starmer-brexit-exact-same-benefits

Sounds like Labour are pivoting to oppose Brexit when Theresa May fails to deliver on their impossible demands.

It took a long time but Starmer is gradually turning the ship. I hope Corbyn actually understands this position.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

That's absurd. Even full membership of the EEA wouldn't deliver that.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,818

english fizz mr CR !
    yuk
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

In other news: Uber's self-drive cars have a few more problems:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39397211

I would have thought the Uber car would be measuring the speed of a car that it expected to yield, like a human driver would (should).
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

english fizz mr CR !
    yuk
    Happy to consider a Scottish fizz.

Recommend anything?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    malcolmg said:

english fizz mr CR !
    yuk
    Your palate is probably unrefined ;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/20/english-sparkling-wine-beats-champagne-in-paris-blind-tasting/
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

RoyalBlue said:

They know that. They've decided that making the 25% of the electorate that still supports them feel good is more important than actually reaching out to Labour leavers and having a chance of making progress in 2020.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Charles said:

PClipp said:

It also might be seen as pro-Remain bias to not expose their derisory turnout...
  • Options
  • Options
    edited March 2017

malcolmg said:

english fizz mr CR !
    yuk

Recommend anything?
    I doubt we would be champions for our wine , fizzy or otherwise. Irn Bru is fizzy mind you and requires no sun to get it flavoursome.
    I prefer veuve Clicquot myself.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

english fizz mr CR !
    yuk
    Your palate is probably unrefined ;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/20/english-sparkling-wine-beats-champagne-in-paris-blind-tasting/
    You mean like your brain
  • Options

Charles said:

PClipp said:

It also might be seen as pro-Remain bias to not expose their derisory turnout...
    Quite. I remember a friend on Facebook complaining that the BBC were ignoring the anti-Tory protests after the 2015 election. I politely pointed out that it was probably in their interest that the BBC weren't drawing attention to the behaviour of some of the protesters.
  • Options

Charles said:

PClipp said:

I don't think anything needs exposing. There was a pro EU march in London yesterday that didn't meet expectations about its turnout. I was on an FBU march in 2015, 2000 of us outside parliament that never got reported. Even the pro EU Guardian today is barely mentioning it, although the article about it has nearly 6000 comments. If there had been a massive march it would have got reported. There wasn't, it didn't.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

english fizz mr CR !
    yuk

Recommend anything?
    Being serious for a moment you could try Cairn O' Mohr....................something different
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    OT Though I like John Piennar the interview on radio 5 at the moment with John McClusky is not his finest. It becomes more obvious by the hour that Labour are forever finished. The only remaining question is who it brings down with it. This is certainly worse than militant and this time there's no Kinnock
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,969
    Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Since the PB Brexiteers' estimates of a poor show for this march seem to have been creeping up incrementally from 10k - 20k - 25k - 40k, I'd suggest their/your definition of a wet fart may be somewhat elastic.

As far as you thinking that Scotland's huge Remain majority meant this was the issue which was going to put fire in the bellies of Yes this time round, can I ask which specific statements propelled this idea into your (no doubt pretty) little head, or are you resorting to setting up your own proposition so you can say it's failed? I'd wait for the council elections in May to see the lie of the land, since we're told by no greater authority than Tessy herself that they'll be a proxy poll on the desire for a 2nd referendum. You should perhaps note that in Glasgow yesterday the SNP & Sturgeon were launching their manifesto for the GCC council elections and large numbers of members were pounding the streets, which should give an indication of current priorities.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901

PClipp said:

4m people voted for Ukip, they only got one MP who has now left, & people complain when they're on the telly!
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

They appear to be the words of David Davis... Who knew that the main opposition to Brexit would come from the Brexiteers?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,658
    Roger said:

OT Though I like John Piennar the interview on radio 5 at the moment with John McClusky is not his finest. It becomes more obvious by the hour that Labour are forever finished. The only remaining question is who it brings down with it. This is certainly worse than militant and this time there's no Kinnock

It was of interest only to political obsessives, and we are the only ones who noticed. Seems fair.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

They appear to be the words of David Davis... Who knew that the main opposition to Brexit would come from the Brexiteers?
    EveryonE. May has done a good job pleasing the unpleaseable but the more severe will revert to type.
  • Options
    Roger said:

The tories are not inhereby popular. The Lib Dems are creeping up when they need to soar. Labour Rebels woukd rather Quit Politics Than Quit Labour, Which Means The Scope for Revival Is There. They're going nowhere.
This discussion has been closed.