Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Remember when the BBC’s Woman’s Hour asked David Cameron and D

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited March 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Remember when the BBC’s Woman’s Hour asked David Cameron and David Davis what sort of underpants they preferred?

With all the fuss today about the Daily Mail’s “legs” front page let us not forget that the BBC can sometimes stray into what could be described as sexist.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    edited March 2017
    3 Commando Brigade.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    edited March 2017
    Second. Unlike Labour.

I refuse to make a post about underpants.

Excuse my technical ignorance, but, re. WhatsApp, if the encryption requires the same code at both sending and receiving devices, to avoid being understood by anyone else, that code presumably has to be sent at some initial point from one device to the other? If so, why cannot anyone who has access to that earlier message (i.e. the service provider) access that communication and then use the code to decrypt later transmissions between the two devices? Or am I missing something?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    FPT:

As Theresa May triggers A50 tomorrow I am hopeful that the way forward will be positive and would hope that the following happens

1) TM’s letter is conciliatory and friendly emphasising all that is good in Europe and that while we seek to take back control it will be negotiated on the basis of mutual trust and that the benefits of a tariff free trade deal between Countries is of vital interest to all.

2) The UK to affirm it will discharge without dispute those charges which it is required to honour as would be expected of any Country wanting to protect its worldwide reputation for respecting International Law

3) The UK will make the rights of EU residents here and ex pats abroad the first priority and guarantee security to all including any benefit entitlements until we leave in 2019 when a new International work visa system will apply with no entitlement to any benefits or allowances until the worker has resided in the UK and contributed to the system for five years.

That seems pretty reasonable to me.

It would indeed be reasonable, but again, I don't really see any sign that May will make the concessions (on immigration and Budget contributions) that Mr NorthWales talks about,

Make no mistake if there's ANY suggestion of us paying an "exit bill", or of still having relatively high levels of immigration, the Mail and the Sun will go into full Outrage mode. From her year in office, has there been any sign that May would be willing to risk that, given she couldn't even stand firm with a small tax rise when those papers started complaining?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

FPT:

As Theresa May triggers A50 tomorrow I am hopeful that the way forward will be positive and would hope that the following happens

1) TM’s letter is conciliatory and friendly emphasising all that is good in Europe and that while we seek to take back control it will be negotiated on the basis of mutual trust and that the benefits of a tariff free trade deal between Countries is of vital interest to all.

2) The UK to affirm it will discharge without dispute those charges which it is required to honour as would be expected of any Country wanting to protect its worldwide reputation for respecting International Law

3) The UK will make the rights of EU residents here and ex pats abroad the first priority and guarantee security to all including any benefit entitlements until we leave in 2019 when a new International work visa system will apply with no entitlement to any benefits or allowances until the worker has resided in the UK and contributed to the system for five years.

It would indeed be reasonable, but again, I don't really see any sign that May will make the concessions (on immigration and Budget contributions) that Mr NorthWales talks about,

Make no mistake if there's ANY suggestion of us paying an "exit bill", or of still having relatively high levels of immigration, the Mail and the Sun will go into full Outrage mode. From her year in office, has there been any sign that May would be willing to risk that, given she couldn't even stand firm with a small tax rise when those papers started complaining?
    I am not suggesting we pay any figure the EU conjure up but that which is legitimate and would be recognised as such in International law
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,597
    Another scathing assessment of Keir Starmer, this time by YouGov and evidence-based. Oh, wait.....

"But when looking at these new tests, 45% of British adults think they are reasonable, compared to 31% of voters thinking they are unreasonable. This allows Labour to be seen to be reasonably supporting the government as Article 50 is triggered whilst also hedging its bets so they can later vote against Brexit if public support turns during the re-negotiation period. So, although public don’t yet see these conditions as essential and don’t want Labour to oppose Brexit if the government fails to meet them, there are many reasons why this could end up being a shrewd move by Sir Keir Starmer – especially if public opinion does shift over the next couple of years."

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/03/28/has-labour-finally-found-response-its-brexit-dilem/
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited March 2017
    The number of times the media of all sides have commented / mocked politicians appearance could fill volumes with more pages than the tax code.

The Guardian and fellow travellers getting their underpants in a twist over this is just makes them look ludicrous. I mean it isn't like we are living in the world with no other news. Turn on Sky for example with some serious on the ground journalism from the battle for Mosul.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

The number of times the media of all sides have commented / mocked politicians appearance could fill volumes with more pages than the tax code.

The Guardian and fellow travellers getting their underpants in a twist over this is just makes them look ludicrous. I mean it isn't like we are living in the world with no other news. Turn on Sky for example with some serious on the ground journalism from the battle for Mosul.

The front page was silly and stupid, but as ever, the furore gets seriously overdone.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    FPT: Mr. Phil, Miliband's ludicrous price freeze also polled well.

On-topic: daft cover, but nothing to fret over.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

FPT:

I am not suggesting we pay any figure the EU conjure up but that which is legitimate and would be recognised as such in International law
    It reminds me of union negotiations in the 70's
    Union pitches in for a 40% rise and allows management to beat them down to 15%.
    Everyone's a winner and trebles all round.

• Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,597
    On topic, since this is clearly a thread about BBC reporting of Conservative pronouncements made in the previous decade:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6975536.stm

"A Conservative government would match Labour's projected public spending totals for the next three years, shadow chancellor George Osborne has said." 3rd September 2007
  • Options
    I think this is the perfect thread for a retweet....

https://twitter.com/ns_media/status/710052091788705792
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Well, it's the Greens complaining. The Mail front page can verge on the ludicrous, but the Greens make being ludicrous respectable.
  • Options

Another scathing assessment of Keir Starmer, this time by YouGov and evidence-based. Oh, wait.....

"But when looking at these new tests, 45% of British adults think they are reasonable, compared to 31% of voters thinking they are unreasonable. This allows Labour to be seen to be reasonably supporting the government as Article 50 is triggered whilst also hedging its bets so they can later vote against Brexit if public support turns during the re-negotiation period. So, although public don’t yet see these conditions as essential and don’t want Labour to oppose Brexit if the government fails to meet them, there are many reasons why this could end up being a shrewd move by Sir Keir Starmer – especially if public opinion does shift over the next couple of years."

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/03/28/has-labour-finally-found-response-its-brexit-dilem/

Uncle Lynton will explain to you why it isn't....
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Wait until Tezza and Nickerless start jello wrestling - the Guardian will explode
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,694
    Eleven. Like legs
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    So Sgt Blackman will be out by Easter, great news in my opinion

I guess some on here will be v disappointed though. Shades of Ched Evans
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213

3 Commando Brigade.

I went commando a couple of Fridays ago, having forgotten to pack enough underpants for my weekly stint in the Midlands.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    edited March 2017
    FPT

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/28/meps-veto-brexit-early-cut-off-date-european-parliament-freedom-movement

The European parliament will veto any Brexit deal that prevents EU citizens who move to the UK during the next two years from having the same rights to live and work in Britain as those already in the country.

And they wonder why we want out?
    It is called a Treaty Obligation. Until we are out - in two years time - Freedom of Movement applies
    It's a nonsense, though! They will veto any deal (in two years' time), that prevents EU citizens who move to the UK in during the next two years from having the same rights. They think we're going to retrospectively ban people from working in the UK? And what we do after those 2 years is none of their business.
    They are saying that June 2016 or tomorrow cannot be the cutoff date for immigrants. The cutoff date will be when our Treaty obligations lapse - on Brexit day - in 2019(ish) or later if we go for an interim deal.
    So if EU immigrants arrive over the next two years, can't find jobs, and are on benefits when the final deal is signed, then we have a treaty obligation to keep them on those benefits in perpetuity?
  • Options
    “I confess this was me. Have had it since Sep 2010 for a CCHQ special op for him becoming Labour Leader. It never happened. Have held on 6 yrs in case he ever came back. Have just given up on him – like doubtless thousands of Labour members! Bin.”

https://order-order.com/2017/03/28/mili-binned/
  • Options
    FPT
    Essexit said:

tlg86 said:

Typical Guardian, an unusual cricketer appears on the scene and instead of singing his praises for bowling something unusual, they complain about cricketing terminology:

https://tinyurl.com/lumtuqh

Another example of The Guardian covering the most important issues of the day...who could forget the Thomas the Tank Engine is a racist and a sexist..as of course we can all be trans-racial nowadays.
    In his defence, Thomas claimed he was trains-racial....
    Shouldn't that be trainsgender?
    Sunil didn't take his Railways Anonymous sessions at all seriously.
    "I would be sitting in a circle with our counsellor and other recovering trainspotters, and put my hand up in order to be excused. And then I would sneak off to the loo to read Railway Magazine! Then I would come back to the group, put my hand and go "I got 30 seconds clean!". I was taking the piss, but I was doing it to myself."

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921
    IanB2 said:

Second. Unlike Labour.

Excuse my technical ignorance, but, re. WhatsApp, if the encryption requires the same code at both sending and receiving devices, to avoid being understood by anyone else, that code presumably has to be sent at some initial point from one device to the other? If so, why cannot anyone who has access to that earlier message (i.e. the service provider) access that communication and then use the code to decrypt later transmissions between the two devices? Or am I missing something?

I think it's another implementation of public-private key:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-key_cryptography

Basically, some very clever maths.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945

Danny565 said:

FPT:

However the Express is leading with IDS claiming the EU should be paying us, so any reasonable deal recognised by Law will be virulently opposed.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    The outrage over the Mail's FP has been utterly bizarre, some people really are joyless prats.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

FPT:

Again, I agree, and I doubt even the EU are serious with this £50bn figure they're talking about.

But even a MUCH smaller "bill" would I think be unsellable to the Mail/Sun. They will probably take the line that Suzanne Evans took on QT last night: "we don't owe them a penny".
  • Options
    "Remember when the BBC’s Woman’s Hour asked David Cameron and David Davis what sort of underpants they preferred?

You shone like the sun...

SHINE ON YOU CRAZY DIAMOND"
  • Options
    Typical BBC bias against redheads.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    Cameron should have answered the blonde/brunette question with the James Bond collar & cuffs line.
  • Options
    isam said:

You'll need to be careful equating the two cases. Ched Evans was eventually acquitted on a retrial. Blackman's conviction was downgraded to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

Chalk and cheese.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945

The outrage over the Mail's FP has been utterly bizarre, some people really are joyless prats.

It is a classic dead cat.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

FPT:

Again, I agree, and I doubt even the EU are serious with this £50bn figure they're talking about.

But even a MUCH smaller "bill" would I think be unsellable to the Mail/Sun. They will probably take the line that Suzanne Evans took on QT last night: "we don't owe them a penny".
    At least they've stopped asking for that £1.7bn that Dave and George vowed to never pay
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

I assume that 45% haven't noticed that two of the "tests" are mutually exclusive.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

isam said:

You'll need to be careful equating the two cases. Ched Evans was eventually acquitted on a retrial. Blackman's conviction was downgraded to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

Chalk and cheese.
    I wasn't equating the cases but the initial reaction to them on here.

"GULITY AS CHARGED" ...or not
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I was rather hoping the Sun would bring back Page three so Emma Watson could make a formal complaint.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    kle4 said:

The front page was silly and stupid, but as ever, the furore gets seriously overdone.
    The thing which has really upset the outrage bussers is that May is utterly unconcerned by the whole thing.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    CD13 said:

I was rather hoping the Sun would bring back Page three so Emma Watson could make a formal complaint.

Aren't they running some tits of the year competition? I am sure that will get the outrage bus fired up.
  • Options

Typical BBC bias against redheads.

Didn't know you were a redhead :lol:
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Chalk and cheese.

It's quite hard to defend what Blackman did, although I daresay you'll try.
  • Options

kle4 said:

The thing which has really upset the outrage bussers is that May is utterly unconcerned by the whole thing.
    Most of the Guardian's outrage is outrage on behalf of other people who are mostly unconcerned about this perceived terrible injustice....The Chinaman bowler....I somehow doubt we will be seeing millions on the streets of Chinese cities protesting at this.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited March 2017
    Penelope Fillon is reported to be "set" to appear today before magistrates investigating accusations of fraud. Other allegations include forgery, but it is not clear from the article whether she will be questioned today about those.

Do we have an expected date for the magistrates' decision on whether to issue preliminary charges against her? (Her husband has already been charged with embezzlement.)
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Chalk and cheese.

The Panorama programme I saw a fortnight or so ago convinced me. You can be convinced or not, down to you.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited March 2017
    Pre-negotiations with Gulf Cooperation Council on a Free Trade Deal.

http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/article/28/03/2017/UK-and-Qatar-set-up-joint-committee-to-pave-way-for-post-Brexit-trade-deal-May

The EU have failed for decades to broker a deal. This is already a £22bn export market for us, and we provide roughly a quarter of EU exports to the region.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    The legs-it stuff has seen the most glorious histrionics.

They all have appearance advisers, hairdressers, image consultants and the rest, and when somebody mentions a little pun we suddenly have a commentariat of Henny-Pennies.

Most enjoyable.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Shows how unserious the Guardian are. They're taking the piss. If they were serious, they'd aim better at upsetting May. They need me as their editor!
  • Options
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Chalk and cheese.

The Panorama programme I saw a fortnight or so ago convinced me. You can be convinced or not, down to you.
    He killed someone, and has a manslaughter conviction. Do you agree that's right?
  • Options
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Chalk and cheese.

He killed someone, and has a manslaughter conviction. Do you agree that's right?
    He did the right thing in my opinion, I don't think he should have had to stand trial from what I have seen of it. If you disagree, fair enough I cant be bothered to argue with you, its down to you
  • Options
    ‪Will this have to go on his election expenses?‬

https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/846712748742529024
  • Options
    Cyan said:

Penelope Fillon is reported to be "set" to appear today before magistrates investigating accusations of fraud. Other allegations include forgery, but it is not clear from the article whether she will be questioned today about those.

Do we have an expected date for the magistrates' decision on whether to issue preliminary charges against her? (Her husband has already been charged with embezzlement.)

For reference: the next TV debate is scheduled for next Tuesday.
  • Options
    Some French Polling

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

I assume that 45% haven't noticed that two of the "tests" are mutually exclusive.
    Brilliantly conceived. You cannot pass the test.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    surbiton said:

Brilliantly conceived. You cannot pass the test.
    The tests have all the fingerprints of Messrs Brown and Balls on them. Has there been some telephone discussion behind the scenes?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

ttps://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/846712748742529024

Well, the by-election date has been announced, when do campaigning expense limits start?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

FPT

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/28/meps-veto-brexit-early-cut-off-date-european-parliament-freedom-movement

The European parliament will veto any Brexit deal that prevents EU citizens who move to the UK during the next two years from having the same rights to live and work in Britain as those already in the country.

And they wonder why we want out?
    It is called a Treaty Obligation. Until we are out - in two years time - Freedom of Movement applies
    It's a nonsense, though! They will veto any deal (in two years' time), that prevents EU citizens who move to the UK in during the next two years from having the same rights. They think we're going to retrospectively ban people from working in the UK? And what we do after those 2 years is none of their business.
    They are saying that June 2016 or tomorrow cannot be the cutoff date for immigrants. The cutoff date will be when our Treaty obligations lapse - on Brexit day - in 2019(ish) or later if we go for an interim deal.
    So if EU immigrants arrive over the next two years, can't find jobs, and are on benefits when the final deal is signed, then we have a treaty obligation to keep them on those benefits in perpetuity?
    Correct. Because we are part of the EU until we are not. AS it should be.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Not quite matched by the detail

Barely 30% support most of it as make or break. The least essential thing is the single market.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Chalk and cheese.

He did the right thing in my opinion, I don't think he should have had to stand trial from what I have seen of it. If you disagree, fair enough I cant be bothered to argue with you, its down to you
    Then your opinion is pants and stupid.

We like to think of our soldiers as being the best in the world, lions, above reproach, etc etc, partly because of their standards - they're 'better' than the opposition. What Blackman did went well beyond those standards.

It also has an effect on the way foreigners who may encounter those troops. Like the infamous Daily Mirror front page, Blackman's actions make the British Army's task a little bit harder.

I'm glad he's out: it cannot have been easy for his family, and the circumstances were unusual. But the idea that the deliberate killing of an injured enemy should have been ignored is ... interesting.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    chestnut said:

Some French Polling

Hail President Macron.

Close in Provence!
  • Options
    edited March 2017

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Chalk and cheese.

We like to think of our soldiers as being the best in the world, lions, above reproach, etc etc, partly because of their standards - they're 'better' than the opposition. What Blackman did went well beyond those standards.

It also has an effect on the way foreigners who may encounter those troops. Like the infamous Daily Mirror front page, Blackman's actions make the British Army's task a little bit harder.

I'm glad he's out: it cannot have been easy for his family, and the circumstances were unusual. But the idea that the deliberate killing of an injured enemy should have been ignored is ... interesting.
    It's what I think, based on what I have seen and read. He did the right thing, and I am glad he did it, so were the rest of his squad, he probably saved half a dozen lives. As the marines who were there said "it was just another day in Afghanistan" maybe they're are all feeble cowards, you know best I suppose, fair enough
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Chalk and cheese.

Agreed. I have sympathy with the guy given the circumstances and regular human impulses, but the implication of if he should not have been charged at all is fraught with difficulty for me.
  • Options
    69 to 59 in favour of Sindy2
  • Options
    Scottish Parliament has just voted for "indyref2".
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    Interesting feature of Scottish Parliament vote - every single member voted. Strengthens Nicola Sturgeon's hand to have clear majority of ten in full turnout
  • Options
    Happened to catch a bit of Holyrood proceedings.

Is it the case that the voted for proposal for an independence referendum includes the idiocy of letting EU nationals have the vote?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited March 2017
    IanB2 said:

69 to 59 in favour of Sindy2

Even though more people voted for unionist parties at the last Scottish election than for those supporting independence.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Chalk and cheese.

It's what I think, based on what I have seen and read. He did the right thing, and I am glad he did it, so were the rest of his squad, he probably saved half a dozen lives. You know best I suppose, fair enough
    Why did he 'do the right thing' ?

Would you say the same if the situation has been reversed, and a British soldier had been killed?
  • Options
    edited March 2017

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Chalk and cheese.

It's what I think, based on what I have seen and read. He did the right thing, and I am glad he did it, so were the rest of his squad, he probably saved half a dozen lives. You know best I suppose, fair enough
    Why did he 'do the right thing' ?

Would you say the same if the situation has been reversed, and a British soldier had been killed?
    No I am only saying it because I don't like Asian people, if they had done it to one of our boys Id expect them to be strung up by a Taliban Court Marshall
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    edited March 2017

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Chalk and cheese.

But the idea that the deliberate killing of an injured enemy should have been ignored is ... interesting.
    Or as the Guardian puts it an "unarmed Taliban fighter".
  • Options
    edited March 2017

ttps://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/846712748742529024

Well, the by-election date has been announced, when do campaigning expense limits start?
    The days when you could start your own expenses running by declaring have gone. Nowadays (edited to correct) it is the beginning of the regulated period - normally when you hand in your nomination papers - can be earlier if you declare earlier, but not prior to the day when the vacancy occurs.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Danny565 said:

Scottish Parliament has just voted for "indyref2".

I think Nicola made a compelling case. Though I'm not too keen on Scottish independence It is very difficult to use the arguments Theresa May is using for Brexit whilst expecting Nicola to accept a decision in which she has no imput.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Chalk and cheese.

It's what I think, based on what I have seen and read. He did the right thing, and I am glad he did it, so were the rest of his squad, he probably saved half a dozen lives. As the marines who were there said "it was just another day in Afghanistan" maybe they're are all feeble cowards, you know best I suppose, fair enough
    What a crass, sick edit by you. I would never call them 'feeble cowards', and would not imply such. But I also would not excuse or ignore an illegal killing.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Happened to catch a bit of Holyrood proceedings.

Is it the case that the voted for proposal for an independence referendum includes the idiocy of letting EU nationals have the vote?

That will be negotiated with Westminster but any franchise that is not the same as last time will delegitimise the result either way.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Noticeably stronger numbers among women for May and Brexit being right.

Corbyn has gone full Antarctic in Scotland: minus 60.

Interesting to see the twitter/facebook split too.

Facebook is far more representative across the piece whereas twitter is for children. An absolutely unrepresentative medium. God knows why some media outlets obsess about the comments on it.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Mélenchon has said he won't take part in the third TV debate, scheduled for 20 April, three days before the first round. He may also decide not to appear in the second one, to be held on 4 April, next Tuesday.

Perhaps he's doing a bit of a Trump and will announce later that he'll appear. But I doubt it. What reason would he offer? Seems more likely he's just not highly skilled at the election game. Got to wonder whether his advisers may not have got through to him that he was good in the first debate, and that as a result he climbed above Hamon in the polls.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Chalk and cheese.

But the idea that the deliberate killing of an injured enemy should have been ignored is ... interesting.
    According to the BBC: "They said other "aggravating factors" included the vulnerability of the insurgent, who could not defend himself"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39417239
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Chalk and cheese.

What a crass, sick edit by you. I would never call them 'feeble cowards', and would not imply such. But I also would not excuse or ignore an illegal killing.
    You said "We like to think of our soldiers as being the best in the world, lions, above reproach".. and so I take it that you think that Sgt Blackman's action, and the fact that it was welcomed by his squad, including two who volunteered to shoot the captive themselves, means they are less than that
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Chalk and cheese.

According to the BBC: "They said other "aggravating factors" included the vulnerability of the insurgent, who could not defend himself"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39417239
    I have no doubt he could not defend himself.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    On topic, people need to get a life.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    David Mundell apparently saying no referendum til the 2020s. That's the Guardian's spin on it anyway, although it's hard to know for sure as his comments came cloaked in the standard Theresa May-style ambiguity.
  • Options
    Mr. Alistair, including EU nationals when we're leaving the EU would delegitimise it.
  • Options
    isam said:

You said "We like to think of our soldiers as being the best in the world, lions, above reproach".. and so I take it that you think that Sgt Blackman's action, and the fact that it was welcomed by his squad, including two who volunteered to shoot the captive themselves, means they are less than that

But I'd not call them 'feeble cowards'. They're your words. I can sympathise with the stress and the situation Blackman and his colleagues found themselves in, but the court has showed that he did wrong. You would ignore that. I see that as being a really bad thing.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    ..maybe the SNP can return to governing?
  • Options

Mr. Alistair, including EU nationals when we're leaving the EU would delegitimise it.

Didn't have you down as a blood and soil nationalist
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I believe citizens of a nation should have a say in future of that nation. Foreigners living in a country are, I gather, able to vote in local but not national elections.

There's nothing blood and soil about recognising the inherent madness of EU citizens being able to vote in splitting up the UK as the UK prepares to leave the EU. If they happen to be UK citizens as well, then of course they should be able to vote.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    kle4 said:

chestnut said:

Some French Polling

Hail President Macron.

Close in Provence!
    Rog
    kle4 said:

chestnut said:

Some French Polling

Hail President Macron.

Close in Provence!
    Roger will be peeved.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Danny565 said:

David Mundell apparently saying no referendum til the 2020s. That's the Guardian's spin on it anyway, although it's hard to know for sure as his comments came cloaked in the standard Theresa May-style ambiguity.

This seems consistent with Theresa's line.

Deal by Autumn 2018
    Ratification March 2019
    Bedding in/transition period plus global deals for a year or two after
    EU budget cycle ends 2020
    UK Election 2020
    Devolved Elections 2021

Full picture clear after this.
  • Options
    Asking for a friend, is the Scottish Parliament sovereign or not?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Cyan said:

Mélenchon has said he won't take part in the third TV debate, scheduled for 20 April, three days before the first round. He may also decide not to appear in the second one, to be held on 4 April, next Tuesday.

Perhaps he's doing a bit of a Trump and will announce later that he'll appear. But I doubt it. What reason would he offer? Seems more likely he's just not highly skilled at the election game. Got to wonder whether his advisers may not have got through to him that he was good in the first debate, and that as a result he climbed above Hamon in the polls.

That is surprising news! Could give Hamon the initiative again.

On the other hand, the next two debates are both full of 11 candidates (IIRC), including other far left ones. He may just see it as a waste of time. I doubt we will see anything of note from the next debates, 11 is just way too many to let any one candidate shine.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Chalk and cheese.

Is that like an unarmed Royal Navy aircraft carrier?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    isam said:
    It's one of the problems with open borders in the US. Terrorists can move from state to state without showing any form of identity.
  • Options
    ChrisHChrisH Posts: 1
    IanB2 said:

Second. Unlike Labour.

This is done via a public key/private key pair. The public key can only be used to encrypt a message. The private key is needed to decrypt it. These keys tend to be very long to make them secure; they'll typically be used to securely exchange shorter keys that are then used to encrypt the actual messages. These shorter keys are only used for a short time.

Digital signatures work the opposite way; the decryption key is made public so that only one person can encrypt a message while everyone else can decrypt it.
  • Options

isam said:

But I'd not call them 'feeble cowards'. They're your words. I can sympathise with the stress and the situation Blackman and his colleagues found themselves in, but the court has showed that he did wrong. You would ignore that. I see that as being a really bad thing.
    Fair enough, sorry you didn't call them that, I was extrapolating to improve my argument, my bad.

As regards the case, I had Sgt Blackman down as a bit of a wrongun before I saw the Panorama. Now I am sure he did the right thing, because...

The captive had just been trying to kill Sgt Blackman and his team, and was shot down and almost killed by one of our helicopters two minutes previously. That alone makes it seem crazy that SB was charged w murder... two mins before our helicopter almost deliberately killed the bloke!

If Sgt Blackman had stuck to the letter of the law, he would have had to apply first aid in a dangerous war zone, then call for an emergency team (MERT) to drive through booby trapped fields to come and get them, risking everyone in that teams life as well as his squad, and alerting the taliban to exactly where they all were... they would have been bait, it could have been a massacre, and for what?! A half dead enemy who we shot down whilst trying to kill our marines five mins before. As I say if you disagree I wont argue, the marines themselves are split on it, but plenty in his team say he did the right thing and they couldn't care less
  • Options

On topic, people need to get a life.

Legsit means Legsit :)
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, I believe citizens of a nation should have a say in future of that nation. Foreigners living in a country are, I gather, able to vote in local but not national elections.

There's nothing blood and soil about recognising the inherent madness of EU citizens being able to vote in splitting up the UK as the UK prepares to leave the EU. If they happen to be UK citizens as well, then of course they should be able to vote.

So you're happy to receive their tax revenues but not their votes?

No taxation without representation!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

If they are resident in Scotland, I don't see the problem.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    So are we looking at a wildcat/rogue independence vote then? Can't see May backing down, and if Sturgeon does she may miss her chance.
This discussion has been closed.