Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If indeed GfK is part of a conspiracy against Corbyn then how

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If indeed GfK is part of a conspiracy against Corbyn then how come other pollsters have similar numbers?

There’s a fierce attack in the Canary on GfK and its research director known well to PBers, Kieran Pedley.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    The answer is obvious. They're all part of the same conspiracy.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    None so blind as those that don't want to see.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,093
    edited March 2017
    3rd. emember that The Canary was founded by a former Occupidiot. Perhaps a future girlf for Mr T.

That realisation won't happen ... any more than you can have a debate about Genneral Relatively with a feathered canary.
  • Second like remain
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,922
    Good to see big Pharma enter the polling business
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
  • PongPong Posts: 4,693
    "The Corbyn cultists have simply got to accept that their man is electoral poison."

Not until the day after the GE they don't.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    FPT:
    SeanT said:

I still remember that Cameron speech where he wanted to advise voters to just "pay off their credit card debts" and not let them get any worse.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2045364/David-Cameron-Every-household-pay-credit-card-store-debts.html

In the end he amended the speech but the original draft leaked.

At that point I thought, Fuck, he's clueless, he really doesn't know how so many people live. And this was in the end his nemesis, he misjudged the British mood on Brexit. And that is his entire legacy.

Ha ha, that's almost the canonical out-of-touch comment. Dave couldn't quite pull it off in the end, and we saw through him.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Ninth :smiley:
  • I'll never forget the time a Corbynista accused me of peddling Zionist polling because I'm a Jew.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    FPT
    Sunil Prasannan said:

' And the Germans never mistreated Russian or other prisoners pre-1944?'

But that is never denied and some of those responsible were tried and executed. That did not happen to Allied forces guilty of similar acts. Hypocrisy and double standards?
    justin124 said:

FPT
    Sunil Prasannan said:

' And the Germans never mistreated Russian or other prisoners pre-1944?'

But that is never denied and some of those responsible were tried and executed. That did not happen to Allied forces guilty of similar acts. Hypocrisy and double standards?

And tonight Justin124 types away in his Lederhosen :lol:
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959
    Pong said:

"The Corbyn cultists have simply got to accept that their man is electoral poison."

You think it will dawn on them even then?

Too many of these leftists are not on speaking terms with reality.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Corbynistas see more conspiracies than chief trump cheerleader Alex Jones !!
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535

I'll never forget the time a Corbynista accused me of peddling Zionist polling because I'm a Jew.

That's exactly what a secret Jew would say!
  • glw said:

I'll never forget the time a Corbynista accused me of peddling Zionist polling because I'm a Jew.

I told them I only ate Kosher food.

Perhaps you're an honorary Jew.

glw said:

Where'd you get Kosher babies from? :o
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

Same angels ^_~

glw said:

Did you tell him you were circumcised? :lol:
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Pong said:

Don't be silly it will be because the Tory, the media and establishment illuminati fixed the GE.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    Polls can be denied but its a lot harder to deny actual votes.

Five weeks to the local elections and the NEV of 2017 will be compared to those of 2016:

Lab 31%
    Con 30%
    LibD 15%
    UKIP 12%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_local_elections,_2016

I suspect there will be quite a change.

It was Corbyn's good fortune that Osborne's incompetent Budget and Cameron's incompetent EU negotiating allowed Labour to 'win' the 2016 local elections.

But last year's good fortune has set the bar higher for this year.
  • GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    RobD said:

glw said:

Where'd you get Kosher babies from? :o
    My wife and I made ours the traditional way :)

Five weeks to the local elections and the NEV of 2017 will be compared to those of 2016:

Lab 31%
    Con 30%
    LibD 15%
    UKIP 12%

It was Corbyn's good fortune that Osborne's incompetent Budget and Cameron's incompetent EU negotiating allowed Labour to 'win' the 2016 local elections.

Surely the last time the 2017 seats were contested was 2013?
  • Sean_F said:

I really don't like the Jewish religious clothes.

Plus those beards the Hasidic Jews have, with me a beard like that would be a fire hazard.
    edited March 2017

Pong said:

Don't be silly it will be because the Tory, the media and establishment illuminati fixed the GE.
    Remember to mark an x with a pen...
    edited March 2017
    duplicate
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    dr_spyn said:
    3 new polls today

Opinionway

Rd 1 Le Pen 26% Macron 24% Fillon 20% Melenchon 14% Hamon 10%

Runoff Macron 62% Le Pen 38%
    http://presicote.factoviz.com/index/more/id/qoo_lew_1

Ipsos

Rd 1 Le Pen 25% Macron 24% Fillon 18% Melenchon 14% Hamon 12%

Runoff Macron 62% Le Pen 38%
    http://www.ipsos.fr/sites/default/files/doc_associe/enquetepresidentielle1v4_1.pdf

Ifop

Rd 1 Macron 25.5% Le Pen 25% Fillon 17.5% Melenchon 14% Hamon 10.5%

Runoff Macron 60% Le Pen 40%
    http://dataviz.ifop.com:8080/IFOP_ROLLING/IFOP_28-03-2017.pdf

Lab 31%
    Con 30%
    LibD 15%
    UKIP 12%

Surely the last time the 2017 seats were contested was 2013?
    Mostly although there are differences.

But the likes of Curtice, Rallings and Thrasher will be calculating the national equivalent vote percentages and we'll see which parties have increased or decreased since last year.

The actual gains and losses of councillors and councils will be compared with 2013 in England and 2012 in Scotland and Wales.

Sean_F said:

I really don't like the Jewish religious clothes.

Plus those beards the Hasidic Jews have, with me a beard like that would be a fire hazard.
    These things can be subtlety altered to make a statement if you wish.
    I have a friend who has a Liverpool FC crest on his kepa.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084
    The GfK poll looks dodgy all round, not just the Labour figure. Maybe they've been away from the field so long they don't know what they are doing?

Lab 31%
    Con 30%
    LibD 15%
    UKIP 12%

The results will be compared to 2016 no doubt, but also 2013. The correct comparison I think is 2012 mind, in terms of building a 5 year data set for the next GE (High r^2 to locals)

My tip on Labour in the West Midlands is interesting, if it loses it represents a big big shift from 2016 (Check the locals in Coventry and Birmingham). Also, ordinarily Labour SHOULD be very strong contenders for the West of England - it is telling they are the dog in the race, even though Bristol is half the seat... that ought to be a Lib Dem-Labour contest in any "normal" Tory mid term...
  • IanB2 said:

The GfK poll looks dodgy all round, not just the Labour figure. Maybe they've been away from the field so long they don't know what they are doing?

GfK have been working on the exit poll of GE2010 and GE2015, I think they know what they are doing.
    SeanT said:

As we all drink our St Emilion Grand Cru on Brexit Eve, the twitter-stream of A C Grayling is quite something.

Rage, rage against the dying of the light

ttps://twitter.com/acgrayling/status/846820448255979520

Needs a haircut, that chap.
    Pulpstar said:

Lab 31%
    Con 30%
    LibD 15%
    UKIP 12%

The results will be compared to 2016 no doubt, but also 2013. The correct comparison I think is 2012 mind, in terms of building a 5 year data set for the next GE (High r^2 to locals)

My tip on Labour in the West Midlands is interesting, if it loses it represents a big big shift from 2016 (Check the locals in Coventry and Birmingham). Also, ordinarily Labour SHOULD be very strong contenders for the West of England - it is telling they are the dog in the race, even though Bristol is half the seat... that ought to be a Lib Dem-Labour contest in any "normal" Tory mid term...
    Did some calling in the West of England Mayoral race last night, will probably be a 3 way battle between the LDs, Labour and the Tories
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    edited March 2017
    The Canary headline is "The truth about the polling company behind those ‘Corbyn as unpopular as Trump’ headlines" but the only charges are:

a) "The Independent fired GfK (then known as NOP) mysteriously after the 2005 general election" (which has already been commented on here)

and b) "The company’s board is a who’s who of international business; containing former employees of firms like IBM, Unilever, Accenture, Johnson and Johnson, and Proctor and Gamble. The research director in charge is London School of Economics graduate Keiran Pedley. He spent three years in Washington-based firm PSB, which represents clients such as Coca Cola, Walmart and McDonald’s" So the people who run it come from multinational businesses.

That's it. That's the truth about GfK. The implication is that it is a right wing polling company that is distorting the polling about Corbyn. Big deal.

The rest of the article about push-pulling etc is sensible.

It is clearly a left-wing leaning organisation, from the charges it makes and its business model.

I think Mike has is tongue firmly in his cheek when he says "My assumption is that @TheCanarySays is a Tory front organisation designed to keep the hapless Corbyn power."
    Or he is channeling Trump by creating confusion.
  • MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,192
    edited March 2017
    Why the fuck are we talking about Corbyn? Global Britain is about to be launched.

Have to say as a remainer I'm delighted. The phoney war is at last over and Mutti actually needs to deliver now. No more meaningless bullshit, it's real.
    Spotted on AC Grayling's twitter

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/846575218080595970

I'm not sure what Jolyon is questioning here. If Scotland somehow joined Ireland (Post EU ref, post Indyref) the "Whisk(e)y Union" say then it would automatically become part of the EU again (Capital Dublin, not Edinburgh).
    It is the same for N Ire/Belfast - obviously there are more political/cultural reasons as to why it might happen, but my point remains...

@Pulpstar continuing to point out bullshit on all sides since 1981.
    Labour in Bristol have been acting as bankers to an errant councillor and deputy mayor who owed £5,000 in Council Tax.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/deputy-mayor-owed-more-5000-14757
  • Pulpstar said:

I'm not sure what Jolyon is questioning here. If Scotland somehow joined Ireland (Post EU ref, post Indyref) the "Whisk(e)y Union" say then it would automatically become part of the EU again (Capital Dublin, not Edinburgh).
    It is the same for N Ire/Belfast - obviously there are more political/cultural reasons as to why it might happen, but my point remains...

Isn't the other issue that Norn Iron joining the Republic is codified in The Good Friday Agreement ?
    Pulpstar said:

Lab 31%
    Con 30%
    LibD 15%
    UKIP 12%

Agreed, 2012 is a good comparison for NEV - governments are often at their weakest two years into the electoral cycle, even Blair was only marginally ahead in the 1999 local elections.

IIRC West Midlands was 21 Lab 7 Con in 2015 while Lesser Avon ** was 6 Con 3 Lab. By that West Midlands should be an easy Labour win and Lesser Avon a toss up but Mayoral elections tend to be strongly influenced by the candidate choice. It might also be interesting that West Midlands was strongly Leave while Lesser Avon was comfortably Remain.

I think of it as Lesser Avon as its the old Avon county less the North Somerset district - and 'West of England' is a ridiculous name for such a small geographic area.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    SeanT said:

As we all drink our St Emilion Grand Cru on Brexit Eve, the twitter-stream of A C Grayling is quite something.

https://twitter.com/acgrayling/status/846820448255979520

I'm drinking a proper commonwealth wine, none of this EU muck for me.
  • MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,192
    edited March 2017
    Watching Kezia Dugdale. She's out in the water and stabbing her lifejacket repeatedly with a needle. Scottish Labour utterly clueless.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    Do you need to write a letter to join Tinder?
  • IanB2 said:

Yea. Well dodgy putting the Tories in the lead.
    GeoffM said:

SeanT said:

ttps://twitter.com/acgrayling/status/846820448255979520

Needs a haircut, that chap.
    Michael Heseltine has called - and says he wants his hair back now....
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Can anyone tell me, what is the proper wine to drink with a Brexit?

Never been overly keen on champagne. Besides, it may tip my colleagues off if I order a bottle tomorrow with my lunch.
    dr_spyn said:
    Tony: "I feel the hand of history on our shoulders."
    IanB2 said:

Phone up 100 random people and ask them who they'll vote for.

What's tricky about that?
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    Happy Brexit Eve PB.

Everyone suitably excited I hope? :smiley:
  • GIN1138 said:

Happy Brexit Eve PB.

Bought myself a bottle of beer to drink tomorrow night.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,019
    GIN1138 said:

Happy Brexit Eve PB.

I'm very excited.
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Yes, the Sun really looks ready to accept "honouring international obligations" in terms of making outstanding payments.
    SeanT said:
    But fuck, we came damn close to letting the Cleggs and the Clarkes and the Heseltines and the Farrons steal away to Brussels with our Parliamentary democracy....

All those saying that Brexit is "too difficult" - well, that's what they tried to make it. Without ever asking the people if that is what they wanted. They should instead be giving us a grovelling apology for what they so nearly inflicted upon us by stealth.
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    SeanT said:

Fair play to Britain, we've got some bollocks

We may have just committed national suicide, but fuck it, we're not easily scared.

You do make me laugh sean ;-)
  • EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    GIN1138 said:

Happy Brexit Eve PB.

Ecstatic. I don't normally drink on Wednesday but will be raising a glass or three.

South African, of course.
    I need to find that "it's happening" gif.. :p
    Anyone old enough to remember this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cIInxTAWMo
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Commonwealth of Virginia? There are some almost-drinkable wines from there.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    SeanT said:

We may have just committed national suicide, but fuck it, we're not easily scared.

You sound scared.
    But so much for the hologramatic delivery we all wanted :(

SeanT said:
    But fuck, we came damn close to letting the Cleggs and the Clarkes and the Heseltines and the Farrons steal away to Brussels with our Parliamentary democracy....

All those saying that Brexit is "too difficult" - well, that's what they tried to make it. Without ever asking the people if that is what they wanted. They should instead be giving us a grovelling apology for what they so nearly inflicted upon us by stealth.
    Yeah the next two years will be a piece of gateaux. But at least we'll get our sovereignty back.

(Editor's note: we were always sovereign.)
    kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Never been overly keen on champagne. Besides, it may tip my colleagues off if I order a bottle tomorrow with my lunch.
    A perry, surely.
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Yeah the next two years will be a piece of gateaux. But at least we'll get our sovereignty back.

In the same way that the Palestinian Authority is "sovereign"?

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

It is done

twitter.com/SleymanGcl2/status/846830979570417664

In the same way that the Palestinian Authority is "sovereign"?
    I think it is fair to say in some areas we were de jure but not de facto sovereign.
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Pulpstar said:

Isn't the other issue that Norn Iron joining the Republic is codified in The Good Friday Agreement ?
    I believe so although it would somehing of a poisoned chalice in the Republic if the North did follow through.

On the tweet, it's hard for a non-MP QC to be other than pretty bright so why Maugham is peddling that line is interesting.
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

You sound scared.
    You sound peevish.
    Betting post

One bright spot for Corbyn in the mayoralty will surely be the Merseyside mayor.

Steve Rotheram is obviously popular too in Liverpool judging by the staggering 81% he got in Liverpool Walton at GE2015. It isn't quite as safe as that for Labour but it is safe methinks.

I have 300 on at 1-10, and would be utterly shocked if I was to lose money on this particular event.

https://twitter.com/Psephography/status/842807749788413952

Having looked again at the West of England, the odds actually look correct to me.
  • BudGBudG Posts: 711
    What sort of man allows his wife to face this sort of ordeal alone for 13 hours, while he campaigns for votes which he hopes will give himself immunity?

"Rather than assist Ms Fillon with her ordeal in Paris today, 63-year-old Mr Fillon continued with his election campaign, as aides said it was 'business as usual'.
    Ms Fillon arrived at the offices of financial judges in central Paris at 9am, and finally left in a chauffer driven limousine just after 10pm, without speaking to reporters."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4358186/Francois-Fillon-s-wife-charged-criminal-offences.html#ixzz4cerqiwF6
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    edited March 2017
    kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

English sparkling wine of course, with tariffs on French, Italian and Spanish wine likely and the £ likely to remain low for some time you will be drinking a lot more of it!
  • Ally_BAlly_B Posts: 185
    I expect sometime in the future on this date effigies of May will be burnt by rUK citizens to commemorate the day the country was sold down the river to preserve the Conservative party. A very sad day for those who lived to see the UK to prosper.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Pong said:

Did you miss out Zionists?
  • ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    I must admit I am feeling a pang of sadness for the first time since we voted to leave, and i've generally been pretty pragmatic about Brexit so far (well, that's my opinion of myself anyway).

I have gone through the 5 stages in an odd way. Never entered denial because I had always suspected leave could win it. Anger was the immediate reaction, which gave way to bargaining for soft brexit around about the time of the tory leadership contest. I shortly skipped straight to acceptance, with a short retreat into depression tonight (although hopefully I don't retreat back into the earlier stages!)
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,019
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

You sound scared.
    The UK has been here many times before. Henry VIII v. Papal Europe, King Philip of Spain, King Louis of France, Napoleon, and Hitler.

Napoleon even tried to lock us out of trading with the whole continent. We opened up new global markets, and prospered.

Economic disruption? Possible. Scared? No, not in the slightest.
    Ally_B said:

I expect sometime in the future on this date effigies of May will be burnt by rUK citizens to commemorate the day the country was sold down the river to preserve the Conservative party. A very sad day for those who lived to see the UK to prosper.

Treasury forecast not pessimistic enough??
    edited March 2017

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

You sound scared.
    You sound peevish.
    I'm intrigued. It is a new and interesting world we've embarked upon.

I think we've done it on a false premise, as does the Brexit SoS, but here we are.

My concern is for those who, as ever, any economic fallout will hit hardest. Compounded no doubt by better off Leavers telling them that it is a price worth paying.
  • OUTOUT Posts: 569
    SeanT said:

Give your daughter a hug.
    matt said:

Pulpstar said:

I believe so although it would somehing of a poisoned chalice in the Republic if the North did follow through.

On the tweet, it's hard for a non-MP QC to be other than pretty bright so why Maugham is peddling that line is interesting.
    Possibly because like many bright people he believes all others around him are thick - therefore he can get away with it because we aren't clever enough to know better.
    Ally_B said:

It is a day for rejoicing.
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

You sound scared.
    lol. I've drunk half a bottle of vintage Veuve, I'm totally minted, I am six figures richer than I was a day ago, and I'm fucking an incredibly hot 21 year old who says my books make her cry.

I've had some times in my life when I've been truly scared. Like, when I spent that first night in prison on a rape charge. Or indeed waiting for the rape trial verdict at the Old Bailey.

The time I was nearly knifed in a Marseilles slum. Being two inches from a pride of lions without a gun. A heroin overdose in Islington. A heroin overdose in Bloomsbury. The time I ended up alone in the Siberian tundra. The night I was held at gunpoint by Hezbollah in the Lebanon in a village being shelled and strafed by the Israeli military.

And so on, and so forth.

Right now? No, I would not characterise my mood as *scared*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    Yep definitely scared.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 703
    Danny565 said:

Yes, the Sun really looks ready to accept "honouring international obligations" in terms of making outstanding payments.
    They can stick it up their Juncker! :smile:
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Why does A C Grayling say that "37% of a gerrymandered electorate is not a mandate"? If the entire electorate is one district, as it was in the referendum, gerrymandering is logically impossible, surely?
    kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Something from England, something from Wales, something from Scotland, something from Northern Ireland.

If you can't find wine then substitute with beer and spirits.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/28/end-affair-historic-day-article-50-triggered-will-unfold/

As she begins her weekly Prime Minister’s Questions in Parliament at noon, Sir Tim will set off on his short journey in Brussels. Details of exactly how and where he will meet Mr Tusk, as well as his planned route, have been kept tightly under wraps because of fears that Remainers might try to intercept the letter in a final act of defiance.

LOL.
  • OUTOUT Posts: 569

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

You sound scared.
    The UK has been here many times before. Henry VIII v. Papal Europe, King Philip of Spain, King Louis of France, Napoleon, and Hitler.

Napoleon even tried to lock us out of trading with the whole continent. We opened up new global markets, and prospered.

Economic disruption? Possible. Scared? No, not in the slightest.
    Your not allowed to use your man o' war to steal land and wealth these days.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Something from England, something from Wales, something from Scotland, something from Northern Ireland.

If you can't find wine then substitute with beer and spirits.
    Or a wine that is heavy on aroma and light on body?
    Sean_F said:

Ally_B said:

It is a day for rejoicing.
    Hopefully in a few years time Liberation Day will be marked with a Bank Holiday.
  • GIN1138 said:

Happy Brexit Eve PB.

I'm suitably worried and also suitably saddened... :(

However, I would like to take this opportunity to genuinely wish a very happy day to those PBers who will be celebrating tomorrow.

• Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited March 2017
    NeilVW said:

Danny565 said:

They can stick it up their Juncker! :smile:
    Telling the EU to "stick it up their Juncker" (or, to be fair, the EU telling us something similar) will just result in mutually-assured destruction.
This discussion has been closed.